Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 6 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,301 through 10,350 (of 28,011 total)

• Hi monkeydo and welcome! I agree with you! I don’t even like calling this a ‘diet’ because I think of diets as temporary measures, something I do to reach a goal and then move on from. I’ve adopted this as a way of life. It’s been a great journey and following along with the other committed members of this thread has been why I’ve had such success!

Intesha, good on you for sticking with the FD even when difficult! I too have had a few that were very difficult! I can handle being tired on a FD, which I often am and I tend to retreat and regard FDs as ‘rest time’. However, hunger can be my most difficult challenge on a FD. When I look back, the hunger dragons seem to chase me around on FDs if I haven’t been able to get enough sleep or quality sleep. Hoping that you’ve been able to sleep well!

Thin, the teenager with Prader-Willi was about 13 years old. From what I understand, those with the condition don’t always live past their thirties. As babies there are other signs which alert parents and doctors that the child is predisposed to the genetic condition, symptoms such as being far more ‘floppy’ than other babies and not being able to form a sucking response to food which apparently is partly related to their in-satiety as they get older. When treated with growth hormone when they are young, they tend to fare better.

Interesting, my doctor in Southport reported to me that he treated a patient who also weighed about 300 kg. who couldn’t stand unassisted and didn’t leave the house. He treated the man with special peptides and the man has shed about 200 of the 300 kg. and apparently another doctor found out about this and reported my doctor to the AMA so my doctor is now under investigation, for using these peptides! They don’t seem to care that someone’s life was saved. The discussion started because on a recent visit, I lifted up my shirt to show how much room I had on the waistline of the shorts I was wearing and told him how happy I was practicing intermittent fasting. He proceeded to tell me his patient success story! I agree 5:2 would be a bit difficult for someone that size!

thanks I’ll post how I go

Welcome Monkeydo. Like Thin I also had three small meals a day but gradually as my body changed and became used to the fasting I now only have something at around 2.30 then an evening meal.

Weight this morning after FD 66. I think yesterday’s struggle must have been the body having another readjustment.

Good morning everyone,
    Welcome MonkeyDo,
    Cheers for your first fast day!
    I hope it isn’t too hard, but even if it is, it is just one day!
    The first few are particularly experimental, you’ve made a great plan and you will see how it goes!

I’m having my favourite time…. morning after fast day!
    I hope you are enjoying yours Intesha! And the 66!

Meeting my friend for coffee and since it will be hot I get to wear one of my summer dresses. Black with purple irises on it. Very pretty. (That’s what I got for losing my 15kg MonkeyDo!)

Best wishes to everyone today!
    To those having their fast day!
    To those having the pleasure of morning after fast day!
    And to those gearing up for their next fast day!

Lot’s of new posters – welcome (I’m no longer a newbie now, lol).

Weighing myself today, I’m the same weight as last week (grrr), though that is starting to look like my normal pattern (2-3 weeks of good weight loss, followed by 1-2 weeks of small/no weight loss)… or it could just be too much wine/cheese/crackers the last few nights! I’m pretty sure next week will jump back down, numbers were trending down lower all week, they just decided to spike on a Monday to annoy me, lol.

Anyway – hope everyone has a glorious Monday… kids back to school today here, a bit more ‘normality’ returning.

Vaderz, when in 5:2 weight loss phase, I too had weeks which registered the same weight despite my two fast days. Like you describe, my pattern was often in stair step fashion. I chalked this up to other things shifting inside that might not register as kilograms shed. For example, I would sometimes notice that my muscle mass increased (which was often in line with feeling stronger) while my body percentage went down slightly as shown on my scales. However, this didn’t show up as a net gram loss since muscle weighs more than fat.

Cinque, your Iris summer dress sounds so pretty! Here’s to Melbourne healing after the tragic violence the whole city endured. Even those who were not physically injured would be feeling violated and maybe even more hesitant when out and about.

Intesha, great that the difficult FD produced such good results! It’s a reminder to me about tough FDs.

Correction… I meant to write ‘my body fat percentage’ went down! …in the above post. …Just getting around to proof reading and am unable to edit.

Hi to all of you downunder. I’m in Canberra and very new to this – second week. Finding it pretty easy so far and the weight is starting to come off. When do you guys weigh yourselves. I’m fasting MOn and Wed and manage to drop quite a bit by Thurs but then I have 4 days off so some goes back on. Do you think I should only weigh once a week – maybe Sunday??

Hi BF,
    Welcome to you!
    Re weighing, you have a few choices.
    You could be like me and never weigh at all, but tell how I am going by my clothes etc and then once every couple of years my doctor pops me on the scales.
    You could be like Thin and weigh morning and night and use the scales as a key tool – but maybe that is only for maintenance Thin? Did you do it before?
    You could be like Merry and weigh yourself every day, but only write it down once a week (I think I have that right?)
    You could be like the people who weigh themselves several times every morning, (but not until after the loo and removing every item of clothing, including hair bands and bandaids: moving the scales around the house (including upstairs!) until they get the number they want, or have to give up.
    😉

This CSIRO article recommends the same time each week, and to take your waist measurement also: https://www.totalwellbeingdiet.com/community/blog/are-your-weighing-scales-telling-the-truth/#ZD56pplX6jt0Sy0L.97
    🙂

Hi BF
    I think the best guide for how often you weight yourself is:
    Weight as frequently as gives you motivation rather than frustration.

In the past, I have become so obsessed with the scales that it caused me more frustration than motivation. I started with weekly, then it became daily, then twice a day. To break myself of this habit I initially imposed an once a week limit and then a once a month limit. I’m still sticking to the once a month limit and using clothing a guide between those weigh-ins. As I took measurements when I started, if I really want an idea of progress I can take some measurements – so far the fit of my clothing has been enough feedback.

Other factors to consider are:
    – How volatile is your weight? If you have medical conditions that cause fluid retention or inflammation your weight can fluctuate by up to 3kg from day-to-day just with body fluid changes.
    – For women – do you have certain weeks each month where your weight goes up due to bloating & temporary fluid retention (I am now menopausal, but I used to have one week per month where my weight went up by at least 2kg.)
    – How prone are you to bingeing? If I have followed a diet faithfully and I either don’t lose or gain weight I am likely to be so annoyed that I go on a binge.

The only drawback I have found with weighing less often, is that when I was trying to maintain my weight, a lot of kilos can be added in a month (I managed to gain 10kg last December), whereas it’s more difficult for gains to get out of control with more frequent weighing.

This is one of those issues, where we each need to find an individual answer – there’s no one right answer to weighing frequency.

Hi everyone from Southern Hemisphere.
    This week is my second week on the FD and my third day fasting. I think I can make this work for me as I work from home so don’t have the temptations of seeing or smelling what my work colleagues are eating. Which was a big problem for me if I ever tried to lose weight before. However I find I am suffering from headaches but have read a few tips from other forums and will see if they can help me. I have now discovered that I was afraid of being hungry before, often planning what I would eat hours or days in advance. But after doing this for two full days and now almost finished my third day fasting I have realised that there is actually nothing to be scared about. It is somewhat empowering to know that I won’t actually pass out from hunger etc. I am setting my goals small and I know that those goals can always be changed once I achieve them. My heaviest was 97kg so I am now looking to get to 85kg and reassess then. I love reading all your stories and tips and looking forward to being a part of this community.

Hi BF and welcome to you too (you’re the 4th newbie to join us this week!).

As far as weighing goes, you’ll get a diverse range of responses from Cinque who doesn’t own any scales and never weighs herself (unless a scale shows itself while she’s visiting someone in a hospital ward or similar); LJ who weighs monthly (unbelievable willpower!) to the likes of me, an obsessive weigher.

I weigh twice a day as a minimum and use the result as a guide for what to eat next (if anything). I’ve recorded my daily weight since I began this WOL in Aug ’14 but, while in weight loss mode, I only ‘counted’ a weekly weight. This is because our weight can vary quite a bit from day to day and within a 24 hr period. I would weigh after your second fast on Thursday mornings to get the maximum boost! Totally naked, after visiting the toilet and before that first cuppa! if I don’t like what I see, I go for a walk and try again. Still no good? Have a hot shower and re-weigh, jump up and down on the scales, move them to another room and, finally, record the lowest of all those weights.

Good job intesha! No such luck for me today – I’m exactly the same as yesterday. Pretty sure I need to check the cals in that Green Miso Soup if I have that one again on a FD. We’ve been for a big paddle across to the city today, since the new Elizabeth Quay, we can drag the kayaks out of the water, have a coffee and paddle back to South Perth. Love it!

OK, Perth losers! Last chance to show yourselves to come and join us for coffee tomorrow. We have three confirmed, five if we’re lucky.

P.S. Good grief, how did you all type those responses to BF so quickly? There was nothing when I started. I’m way down the list now. 😆 Yes, Cinque, I weighed even more before! In maintenance, I need a daily weigh-in to prevent me from going over my ‘trigger’ weight which is 61kg. If I see that on the scale, it’s an instant fast day.

Afternoon everyone,
    I am having a senior moment and need someone to explain to me in common English as I cant seem to get my head around the meanings of.
    I understand BMI, mine is 31.2
    BMR is 1435 does that mean that I have to eat around the 1435 calories to just ” BE ” and my TDEE is 1722, surely I don’t have to eat 1722 calories every NON fasting day ?
    On the calorie counter app I am using to add everything up it tells me to eat between 1100 and 1300 calories each day and that is what I have been doing on a non fasting day, do I have to up the amount to match those numbers?
    I really do not understand these abbreviations and what they really mean. Can some person brighter than me please explain the BMI and the TDEE.
    Ta

2nd post for today,
    I have just read a few other posts re- weighing. I found that when I started this diet, only a week ago ( lol ) I weighed myself then, after my first fasting day I weighed myself again, then bought new scales and my weight was higher. Very disheartening as my old scales were obviously under estimating. I know I am prone to fluid retention so hopefully I am under what they say, ( lol ) Anyway, I told myself that the mornings after my FD I shall measure myself and weigh, NO OTHER DAYS. When I see my scales going down I will maybe take it down to once a week and if by a miracle I loose heaps maybe once a fortnight but that will be an absolute effort to stop myself. At the moment I want to stand on those scales all day!!!! I think scales can be a motivation but the best motivation is the dress sizes, loose around the tummy, that will be awesome for me. My mum had a big tummy and I remember it was always rock hard, I have a big tummy but I know mine is fat and that is my goal, get rid of the pregnant look which at my age (67) is rather ridiculous !
    Any way I have rambled on for a while now, ignore me if you want , have a great rest of the day all.

Hi Charlotterose25

The BMR is your baseline – if you laid in bed all day and didn’t move a muscle you would need this many calories just to perform essential body functions.

Your TDEE is a guide to the amount of calories you can consume without gaining weight.

The advice I’ve seen is that you should never eat below your BMR, except on your chosen fast days. And obviously you shouldn’t go over your TDEE very often if you want sustained weight loss. Some people aim to be somewhere in the range between BMR and TDEE on all NFDs. The premise of the 5:2 plan is that you don’t do excessive calorie monitoring on the NFDs so I just keep a rough estimate of calorie consumption on NFDs and aim to average out somewhere near my TDEE over the week.

When I said your TDEE is a guide I mean it – this calculation is a very blunt instrument and the actual TDEE for each individual can vary quite a bit from the one that the TDEE calculator on this website gives you. Essentially it is based on an average figure and all averages are calculated from data that contains many instances that are above and below that average figure.
    I know, from very careful monitoring over many months that my TDEE is about 1400 calories on a very inactive day and 1500 if I do a 1 hour walk or equivalent. (The TDEE calculator says I should be eating over 1700 calories on a sedentary day – so I stick to what I know is accurate for me as an individual.)

Some advice that I have read that sounds sensible is to do the TDEE calculation using an activity level lower than you usually achieve – this will give you a buffer in case your personal TDEE is a little lower than average.

It is not a good idea to eat below your BMR calorie level every day. If you do your body may adjust to the permanent calorie restriction and become more efficient in the way it uses calories – I suspect that this is why my own real TDEE is so low – In 2014-15 I did 3 months on 800 calories per day then 5 months on 1000 calories per day and even after 18 months on a maintenance diet my calorie requirements have stayed well below the figures that the TDEE calculators provide.

Ha! I thought I’d wait two minutes before replying in case someone said it all before me. And thanks LJ, you did. I did recently recommend calculating your activity level below what you actually think it is because most of us are less active than we like to think we are.

I also suggest aiming your TDEE calculation at the weight you want to be, not the weight you are. This is because we all need to learn how to eat to sustain our goal weight. This doesn’t have to be done all at once – you have enough on your plate (well, not really) just mastering FDs. The cruel irony is that, as we lose weight, our TDEE needs to be constantly adjusted. Whether you do it now or as you go is entirely your choice. A lot of us in maintenance can now only consume 350 cals on a FD … ponder that!

Hi All! I love all our discussions! I’m still learning, even though I’ve been around awhile!

Hey since we’ve been on the topic of scales, I have a question for Pintinlin (or anyone else who might want to chime in)!

Pintinlin, you mentioned a few pages back that you changed the battery for your scales. I’m wondering if you got any type of message to let you know that it was time to change the battery or did you change them as a routine, such as a year was up and so you thought was a good idea? I only ask because I’ve got a set of digital scales and I realize we’ve had them for a good 8 years and I’ve yet to change the batteries! So just wondering what compelled you to change your batteries? Thanks!

Hello everyone -I live in Melbourne.

I’ve just been reading through all your interesting and helpful posts. It’s good to meet other Southern Hemispherites!

This is my first day and I’m doing 800 calories each day ( if I can keep to this calorie level).
    I had lost weight on WWatchers twice and put back on over 19kgs and now much more! I’ve got lots of osteo-arthritis and had quite a number of orthopaedic ops.

When I heard Michael’s talk the other day on ABC Melbourne, I decided I would buy his books – immediately. So went out to my local bookshop and bought all 4 – the 5:2 and recipe book and the Blood Sugar Diet and recipe book (which he was speaking about on radio). I was so impressed by his talk and it made a great deal of sense to me!

I couldn’t make up my mind which to do initially – but decided I would like to try and lose a large amount quickly and then revert to the 5:2 way of eating which makes so much sense.

So I hope you all don’t mind me posting in this section – it’s still Michael’s way of eating but the one to lose quickly those kilos that are making it so hard to walk around and exercise. I’m very height challenged being only 4’11” – and weighing in at over 82.5 kgs!!

Thank you for reading all this – am also weighing obsessed and will have to get a grip to not do so every day!

Hi folks – Well first fast day clocked up. Feeling hungry tonight. Had a heap of fluids all day and tonight. Boiled egg for brekkie, carrots for lunch and chicken and vege for dinner. Forgot to have salmon this morning so then had enough cals left for some fruit tonight. It’s nearly 11 and I’m frankly ravenous. Not sure how well I’m going to sleep. If it is going to be like this all the time, I don’t know if I’ll be able to sustain it. Reading your posts it sounds like it gets easier. Hope so. Also did HIIT running training this morning. So that’s burned off a bit more. Can’t wait to eat tomorrow!!

PS I’m on Northern Beaches, Sydney. Any others around?

Monkeydo, there’s nothing worse than going to bed hungry. You can distract yourself from hunger during the day by going for a walk, working, gardening, etc but at night all you can do is think about how hungry you are as you try to sleep. What time did you have your chicken thigh? Perhaps you could save a little calorie bank for a boiled egg or small amount of protein before bed. You will have to experiment a bit to find what works best for you.

SusannahD, I had a déjà vu experience when I read your post. Then I realised I’d seen an exchange between you and Cinque elsewhere. Of course we don’t mind if you post here. Lael and I are interested to hear how people manage on the BSD (and what happens afterwards) so please let us know how you get on. If it gets a bit hard, you can switch to 5:2.

Lael, your scales make you happy, don’t they? I wouldn’t change a thing! Wait until they start blinking.

Hi all,
    I had planned on a FD today but was sort off forced into one on Sunday and I’m taking it.
    Monkeydo, one of the toughest times is late night and your not asleep. You can’t have black coffee or black tea due to caffeine, water will wake you with a trip to the loo, maybe a bit of fruit as in strawberries or carrot sticks if you have the cals left in the bank otherwise my answer is a boring, fluffy movie that you know and like but it can’t be too funny or tense as it will keep you awake. Normally I will only get 10mins in and then awaken to play movie or scene selection choices. This is why you will hear a lot of us keeping our meals to the evening. I like to eat at around 8-8.30pm on a FD with most of my cals in this meal. It will come to you in the first few weeks what will work for you.

Hi Thinatlast, I keep thinking your up late then remember your watching the sunset over the ocean (never seen this).

Meals for Sunday:
    1 x 250ml fruit juice 490kj, 1 x 250ml soft drink 540kj, 100g x chicken 800kj, serve of steamed veggies 580kj, jellied fruit 280kj Total 2690kj or 643 cals.

I know it was a little over but I think I will take it. The amounts were approx. but I think they are close. I reckon I now see all foods in 100g amounts.

SusannahD are you doing the blood sugar diet i am curious how you go i take blood pressure tab’s and tried one day on it and my blood pressure dropped so low i couldn’t stand up then went really high gave me a bit of a scare so i went back to 5.2 (i didn’t take my tab that day)I thought i might of drank too much water. I love the recipes in that book though.

Good morning everyone!
    Hello Susannah, glad you got here! Best wishes for your day!

Melbourne’s back to cooler weather, two new zucchinis starting. Lovely morning!

This thread is so busy!

LJ, Well said! “Weigh as frequently as gives you motivation rather than frustration.”
    Perfect!

CharlotteRose, I find the BMI and BMR and TDEE all a bit overwhelming too! If only my body was like my granddaughter’s, and simply knew when it had enough food! I try to be as ‘Fasty as I can’ on fast days, and then work on trying to listen to my body on non fast days. This poor old body has trouble telling me sensibly what it wants though, and how much!

Thin, that is interesting how full the Green Miso Soup made you feel. I had to look up the recipes for it (don’t know as much about miso soup as I thought I did! 😉 ). Is it just tofu and greens? Surely that wouldn’t have a lot of calories?

Good morning Monkey Do! Did you get through the night ok? Do you feel wonderful this morning? Hope so! Breakfast beckons!

Hi Fishing Gran! Joffy! Lael! Everyone else!

Thank you for the welcome Cinque. Good morning all of you – I thought last night I’d be so hungry I wouldn’t sleep but not at all!! Woke up feeling more oomphy than usual – but I can’t stop thinking about what to make for lunch/dinner!!!
    I also wrote in the front of my book what my current BMI is for motivation purposes and downloaded what seems to be a really good food tracker from App Store – Easy Diet Diary – I have to track daily food if I’m going to stick to the 800 calories for a few weeks!
    I’m going out to buy miso sachets and other veg etc to make some soups –
    Hope you all have a good (cooler day in Melbourne)

Hi-
    I’m the newest newbie! I’m in my mid 30’s, never had any real issues with weight before (before last year that was) and now I’m here (that is a long story cut short). I am currently around 91-93 kg’s, which is over 30kgs from where I should be (ouch)- I have been steadily putting on weight at aprrox 2kgs a month and have decided this needs to stop before I reach triple didgets and can no longer fit in ‘normal clothes’. I have been looking into this diet for some time, and thought I would just jump in and do it- cut out as many carbs as I can on the five days (not that I have that many to begin with) and exercise a little more. I am hoping to STOP the weight gain initially, and would love to lose it too- but for now, just stopping the 2 kgs a month is number one on my list.
    I live in Tasmania- we’ve been here about 6 years now. I recently returned to work after having children which is when the weight started piling on (kids are 8 and 9 so no baby weight excuses). I thought I was movign more at work than at home- so here goes nothing!!! 🙂

Hello Fishing Gran – thks for your msg – I too am on blood pressure tabs and cardiac medication. I’ve only had one day and one breakfast so far on the BSD –
    Have you been to your doctor and spoken to him/her? Did you eat enough on the day do you think??? How much water did you drink?

I’m going to make a GP appt to go have a chat – what do you think about making an appt so your doc knows what you’re doing and can ch support you along the way?

Morning All 🙂 Hope everyone is well.

So after my scale debacle last week, I had decided that last week would be week one for me (even though it was week 2).
    Because I weighed myself on the Tuesday, I thought best to stick to that day for the time being.
    Fast day yesterday and I was pleased that I only used about 320 cals. I did get a couple of hunger pangs during the day but was able to focus on something else quite easily.
    Little bit disappointed this morning when jumping on the scale to find they hadn’t changed a bit 🙁
    I know I should be reassured that they didn’t go up but I was kind of hoping for a movement downwards of some kind.
    Still, I shall persevere and hope that next week we see something different.
    I really hate scales actually but for the first little while, I think I should continue to weigh weekly don’t you? Ideally, I’d like to maybe make it monthly and then perhaps not at all but for the moment, I’d rather keep track. What does everyone think?
    Usually my FD is Monday and Thursday but we’ve got Australia Day this week and I have plans so I’m pulling it forward to tomorrow this week. I like that there’s flex like that 🙂

Anyway all, hope you enjoy your day. Take it easy 🙂

Hello everyone (especially all the new faces)

Feeling pretty good today after a fast day yesterday… have nearly eliminated all milk from my coffee’s – just the tiniest splash (maybe 10mls) in each (say 50cal total), just to take the edge off it, lol. Was feeling fairly hungry in the afternoon, but had a banana around 2:30 (90 cal) which really made a huge difference, then cup of soup (110cal) and two small meatballs left over from dinner the night before (~50cal)… so 300cal all up for the day (which has been fairly typical for most of my fast days so far, though this is the first time I’ve added the banana – those calories would have previously been there with the extra milk in coffees, but definitely worked better this way during that late afternoon stretch).

Monkeydo – definitely experiment a bit by getting rid of the notion of there needing to be 3 meals a day… one of the big benefits of fasting IMHO is finding out that there really isn’t anything to be scared about with being hungry for a little while… you’re not going to collapse in a heap… it really starts to change the way you think about food. Drink plenty of water (really essential to keep the fluids up), but try going to at least lunch time before eating anything (and even then just keeping it small)… if it doesn’t work, go back to three small meals next time.

Personally, I found this to be very motivating… knowing you can basically not eat all day and still actually function like a semi-normal human being, was a bit of an eye opener actually 😉

I think I know what I have been doing wrong. My BMW is 1435 and I have been working on 1100 a day. From what has been explained to me I should be eating more near my BMR.
    Am I correct?

Vaderz, couldn’t agree more. I get a sort of smug feeling on fast days! I’m impressed with your ability to cut down on milk in coffee. I tried it again the other day. Hmm, just can’t seem to deal with black or near black coffee. If I’ve had a particularly low cal day and feel hungry, I sometimes have a frozen banana before bed. I eat it very slowly and it feels really decadent.

Amanda82, you found us!

Spirtedpagan, frustrating especially with your intake being so low on the FD. Perhaps have a look at a typical non-FD calorie intake to make sure you’re not going over your TDEE? Tedious I know but you should be losing weight if you aren’t over-compensating on nonFDs.

Cinque, you reminded me to check the cals on the Green Miso Soup. There’s no tofu. When I’ve added them up, I shall post the recipe on our thread later. For the newbies, here’s the link to our recipe page which we like to reserve only for recipes and respectfully request no chit chat for ease of finding the recipes. If you need to ask someone a question about a recipe they’ve posted, please find them elsewhere on the forum to do that. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/ Feel free to post your own recipes, please include cal count and the number it serves. Thanks!

Hi Charlotterose25

Yes you do need to stay above your BMR on the day’s that you aren’t fasting and you should also try not to exceed your TDEE very often. There was also some advice given about working out your TDEE for your goal weight and trying to stick to this, as it’s good practice for maintenance – I think this is good advice.

I thought the following might be useful for those of you interested in how these things are calculated:

Using the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation to work out your BMR:
    Women: (9.99 x w) + (6.25 x h) – (4.92 x y) – 161
    Men: (9.99 x w) + (6.25 x h) – (4.92 x y) + 5
    w = weight (kg)
    h = height (cm)
    y = years/age

To work out your TDEE, essentially you multiply your BMR by a factor relative to your activity level.
    The following values are commonly used for this and you can adjust to what is accurate for you:
    Sedentary: 1.0 – 1.3
    Low-Active: 1.4 – 1.5
    Active: 1.6 – 1.8
    Very Active: 1.9 – 2.5

The TDEE calculator on this website makes some broad assumptions, eg if you select “sedentary” as your activity level it multiplies your BMR by 1.2. I know that a truly sedentary day for me means BMR x 1.05, to get to a multiplier of 1.3 I need to me on my feet moving around and doing housework for at least half the day (which to my mind is not really sedentary)- so I adjust accordingly.

Hi Fishing Gran and SusannahD
    If you are on blood pressure meds and losing weight you have to keep your BP monitored by your GP, as blood pressure usually falls with weight loss.

In 2014-15 when I lost 50kg I went from being on triple doses of 2 BP medications to needing no meds at all – I now have normal blood pressure. The change happened gradually and my meds were adjusted many times along that weight loss journey. Every time I started feeling faint I knew it was time to ask my GP whether it needed adjusting again. If you have access to a BP machine (your local chemist may have one), then you can also monitor it yourself. Basically whenever you get under 110/70 you need to keep a close eye on it as you are getting close to a low BP (for me 105/65 was low enough to feel faint and dizzy).

What I noticed was that the change wasn’t steady. The rough guide that I was given was that every 10kg lost should require a BP meds adjustment. What I found was that the changes to BP were slower during the first months of weight loss (perhaps 15kg loss for each adjustment), then rapid when I got closer to goal. The last 20kg lost I seemed to need my BP meds adjusted for ever 3-4kg lost.

Hi susannahD I was just talking to my OH I think it may have been caused by something else as i easily do a 500cal FD no problem so 800 cal shouldn’t cause a problem either but yes I will talk to my Dr he is ok with 5.2 has done it himself and is very supportive. Ljoyce my meds were adjusted when my BP dropped too low when i lost the first 10 kilos so i keep a check of it i have a monitor my Dr said they aren’t as accurate but it gives him an idea of what is going on at home you have done so well with your weight loss this is certainly a WOL to embrace.

Hello Fishing Gran and LJoyce –
    Glad you’ve got good support from your GP – you’ve obviously worked out what the problem could have been last time you tried the 800 calls.
    LJoyce you’ve done so incredibly well – interesting to read how often you had BP med’s changed and doses decreased. im hoping for the same results – I’m on so many drugs I rattle – I suddenly thought there must be a better way to be in control of oneself!!! THank you for all the info – it’s so helpful and supportive.
    I’m going to make a GP appt and explain to him what I’m doing!

Hi monkeydo, I’ll chime in here with my experience with hunger on FDs (Fast Days) which is that I find I do best with a protein snack at night or before bed. I do what Thin suggested in an early post, which is to reserve some of my FD calories for this snack and it sustains me through the night. Biochemically I’m pretty sure I’ve read that it is natural to be sleepless when hungry. If I remember correctly the hunger has to do with making us more alert so that back when we were hunter/gatherers we could have our wits about us better to find the food we were hungry for!

I’ll also say something I’ve observed for myself (and I know everyone is different), but I do better passing on fruit on FDs. This is more specific to me because I tend to have blood sugar issues. In any case, I’ve observed that I’m much hungrier after eating fruit on a FD. In fact the times I’ve eaten an apple on a FD, I’m just as you describe, not long afterwards ‘ravenous’. So, just a thought and something to experiment with. …Of course there is an exception, I just thought of! I do fine with 1/4 cup blueberries mixed into 100 grams of cottage cheese. Maybe this works for me because the protein balances out the sugar in the berries and prevents a blood sugar spike? A 100 grams of Dairyfarmers cottage cheese and the 1/4 cup blueberries = 127 calories, so this is a ‘go to’ favorite meal of mine on FDs!

That said, welcome all newbies!

And, it’s Tuesday so I’m fasting today and enjoying!

P.S. I just now stumbled across this thread with the ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos of Dr. Michael Mosley, (which he himself posted), so thought to provide the link for others to see and read. Even though I know Michael’s story and I’m in maintenance, I always find ‘before’ and after photos inspiring!

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/michael-before-and-after/

Wow, I had no idea that he’d been that size before Lael, thanks for posting. Did they end up posting other people’s before and after photos also?

Speaking of a great advertisement for 5:2, I spent a fabulous couple of hours today drinking coffee (and one of us enjoyed a raspberry muffin but I’m not saying who) in the company of VeggieDownUnder, CharliesMum and English Aussie. How many of you have been around long enough to remember those names? I’m pretty stoked that we could get four WA losers together because two drove one heck of a long way to get here. Sadly, Chatelaine who’d inspired the get-together and Debdjd weren’t able to make it. Next time! 😆

Good morning! Just a quick note as today is a big trip to Bendigo with my daughter and the littlies, to visit my sick sister in law and (separately) my pregnant neice.
    And a little visit to the beautiful Bendigo knitting mills.

Thin, I remember all those names! A lovely get together!

Today would have been my fast day, but I will do it tomorrow instead.

Best wishes to everyone! Who is fasting today?

Wow Thin those names were a blast from the past. Are we allowed to ask if they have stuck with 5:2???

Nice cool morning here in Sydney and managed to get a good nights sleep. All this heat is very draining and makes me feel very lethargic.

FD yesterday, weight this morning 65.9. Have not seen 65 since 10/12. Take note all you newbies, this way of life is so forgiving if you just keep following the plan and get back on the horse as soon after our binges or bad days as possible. I went to Melbourne, had Xmas then Qld in between that date and now so my weight shot up. I now have 8 days of probably non fast days in front of me but will be back in the saddle as soon as I can.

What other diet (shudder) can do that for you. This is a for the rest of my life WOL.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everybody,
    A FD completed which was more to the numbers I like to average on them.
    Intesha your post above is what all the new people here need to keep in mind, the ability to get back down to goals after falling off the horse or after celebrations, holidays, etc. a bit of patience and continuing with your FD’s and you will be back into this Way Of Life and the numbers will fall in your favour.

Spiritedpagan give it time, not everyone is the same, sometimes the scales stop then jump down suddenly and your clothes will fit different. Your body may be adjusting. I came back from holidays a bit over what I was before I left at due to missing a couple of FD’s and indulgence but within 2 FD’s once home I was below what I had left for holidays at. Now I haven’t moved this week even after 2 FD’s in 3 days but I know it will happen maybe next week or the week after.

I have squeezed my FD’s this week due to going away to Echuca for the long weekend with some mates from Melbourne camping on the Murray thus I won’t be posting until after my next FD on Monday.

Meals for the day:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 1 x salad 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj. Total 1650kj 394 cals.
    *Note having the salad earlier in the evening at 6ish before my soup at 8ish has been a big help in getting to sleep due to feeling full.

Happy fasting to all for the rest of this week

Have a great time on the Murray River Joffy. Intesha, it sounds like you’re going to be edging closer to 60kg soon. You realise that this means another dress size, more lovely clothes! Morning Cinque, have a fun day, I’ll keep the home fires burning with a FD for both of us today. All I’m having for dinner is the leftover miso soup from Sunday’s fast and a leftover salad from last night’s dinner (I’ll rake through it and count the cals using Joffy’s guide).

Intesha, VDU reached a weight she was happy with and stopped fasting for a while but has recently re-started 5:2. CM hasn’t practiced 5:2 for a long time and says she’s gained 2kg – she looks amazing at 62kg. English Aussie stopped posting a long time ago because she switched from 5:2 to a low cal, high fat diet and felt she couldn’t contribute to this thread therefore. The last time I spoke to FreyaT, (who had to work yesterday) she was still fasting.

The subject of Alzheimer’s was close to people’s hearts (family members suffering) and everyone seemed to appreciate the value of fasting wrt staving off dementia.

Hot day forecast so I’d better get my walk done asap. Have a great day all.

Fasting Day here 🙂 I weighed myself this morning I’m 89.6 today.
    I’m struggling with eating on non Fasting Days. My appetite has dropped a lot so I’m hoping that I can get through today.
    Just wondered how people do their fast? Between breaky and dinner?
    Also hubby is complaining about my breath. How do I remedy that if I can’t eat? I’m brushing my teeth a lot LOL. I can’t do that as easily at work. Sugar free mints for fast days?

KGF

Susannah, my starting body two weeks ago was fairly similar to yours, but I’m 5″1/4″ (yes the 1/4in is important), so just a little taller. I’m already down to 78.8 so I think this is what’s going to work for me.

Monkeydo, like you I’ve been spreading the food around on fast days. However i do it differently depending on whether it’s a weekday or a weekend day, on a weekday I’d probably have three small meals and maybe a snack, on a weekend day (only one I didn’t have to work btw) I’d wait until maybe 1pm to start eating and then that day have 2 small meals and 2-3 snacks. I have to have my snacks, I haven’t yet tried having all my calories in one meal, as I don’t think that would work for me, although I’ll probably try it just to rule it out. I haven’t really noticed any great hunger yet, yes I know I said I don’t really get hungry, but when there’s a reason for being hungry I do feel it, like doing Weight Watchers I was hungry the whole time. Simple carbohydrates are usually what makes me hungry, so I always try for the lowest GI options I can think of. I’m a graduate of The GI Diet books, worked really well for me at the time, I got all my excess weight off and it stayed off for several years. So if you’re looking for healthy low GI snacks this is a great book series to look at. I love the apple pie cookies and the chocolate brownie (it has kidney beans in it). I don’t believe in eliminating carbohydrate altogether, but I probably wouldn’t have normal fruit on a fast day either. Try a handful of berries or cherries instead, or a green tinged banana. Cherries are one of the lowest GI fruits, I’m working my way through 2kg of Otago (NZ) cherries as we speak, and bananas (provided they’re not too ripe) are pretty low GI too. Brown basmati rice is the best, and you must try and get hold of some konjak (?sp) noodles, very low calorie and so filling. I used them for my first fast day and they were great, a can of tuna, lots of courgettes/zucchini and konjak noodles filled me up a treat. To tell the truth I’ve only done 3-4 fast days but they seem to be working for me, and I’m not getting so hungry I can’t sleep. Speaking of which it’s 2pm I need to eat now, it’s not even a fast day, but I finished work at midnight last night so my routines are all screwy right now.

Charlotte Rose, to tell the truth I’ve just been completely ignoring my TDEE (2100 I think it was) for now, seeing as I’m fairly new to this too. I just used it to see that yes 500 calories is about 1/4 and so that’s going to be about right for my fast days. Sure, I like a few treats, but I’ve just come from a diet (AWW Monday to Friday diet) with a meal plan where you’d eat no more than 1500 calories on weekdays, and it was quite a lot of food. I didn’t even need the snacks, so would’ve been eating a bit less than and I ended up stuffed full at most meals. So I started to wonder if my problem was eating too little food, and I was going into starvation mode instead. I certainly don’t feel I was eating too badly normally, I mean I’ve seen people on these fat programmes on TV and I’m always horrified at what they’re eating. I have takeaways maybe twice a year, and I cook for myself every night, Besides which, two fast days a week is cutting my calories quite a lot anyway, so I’m bound to lose weight, and if I don’t maybe I’ll start looking a bit more closely at non fasting days.

In other news, I just got my Australian Women’s Weekly 2-Day super diet cookbook. It looks great, like just the sort of food I want to be cooking. There’s even a meal planner at the front where they’ve put several dishes together to give you your fasting day’s menu, and a calorie counter at the back for common everyday foods. I think the Australian way of cooking is much more in line with the NZ way than the American Fast Day cookbook which I also bought. Apparently Americans think you’re amazing if you can make a soup or muffins or a cake without using a packet mix, something I’ve known how to do since I was 6 years old. Morrocan Chicken pilaf for 222 calories, don’t think I’ve ever made a pilaf in my life not by that name anyway, but I want to make one now it sounds delicious.

Cinque, that was hilarious, the different ways you can choose to weigh yourself. Alas, I think I use the last method, although I’ve never tried moving the scales around the house – do you think that would make a difference? (jokes). I only really weigh myself every three days or so, but if I really like/or really hate a number, the next day I’ll try again. Either because I didn’t believe the really good number, or because I want to disprove the bad number. I suppose I should try to stop thinking of them as good and bad too, they just are.

Joffy, have fun on the Murray. I grew up in the Riverland, so I have fond childhood memories of family picnics and learning to water ski on the Murray. I also remember catching yabbies – yum (can’t remember the last time I ate a yabbie, it must be decades).

I took advantage of the mild weather in Adelaide today and spent most of the morning weeding the garden beds – after all of the rain we’ve had, they’ve grown like weeds…sorry bad pun! Some were a meter tall, how did that happen without me noticing sooner?
    I now feel hot and grubby but rather virtuous.
    I’m on a FD, so the morning in the garden very helpfully kept me out of the kitchen and away from food for a while.

Hope everyone’s having a good day.

Hello JodyW – I’m envious of your extra inches or inch and a bit height – !!! I’m doing ok so far – well done you losing what you have – I can’t understand why I’m not hungrier (I’m doing the BSD) for a few weeks 800 calories a day – then I’ll start on the 5:2.
    In your msg to Monkeydo you mention eating Otago cherries – just the mention of them makes my mouth water – they are just the best
    Flavour –
    Used to live in NZ but we were there on hols and we still remember those cherries and the Honesty Box to put the money in.
    Why am I not hungry or feeling faint -must be living on my excess fat!!

JodyW, I love that book and I was only looking at that same recipe this morning. My go to ones at the moment are Zucchini & Corn fritters, Cauliflower Fried Rice, Pork Kebabs with Apple salad (these I made up in bulk, weighed every one and froze them raw so There was no excuse not to have something prepared on an FD and Chicken and cashew stir-fry which is really yummy. Will try some new ones when I’m back on the wagon after 3rd Feb.

I also move my scales all over the bathroom floor until I get a weight I am happy with. Cheating no just getting the mindset right.

Thin I bet it was EA that had the muffin. It’s lovely that you all keep in touch.

Ha ha Intesha, you’re remembering EA’s trips to the drive-in to get hot chocolate perhaps! Or her love of hot chips? No, it wasn’t her. English Aussie, you’d better get back on here to defend yourself!

Those recipes sounded delicious and then I remembered that you’d given me two of them. I must try those. But what do you mean by making them up in bulk and freezing them raw? – oh, just read the pork kebab recipe again so you’ve made the pork balls and frozen them. I see. I love that idea, makes FDs so easy when you know what you’re having. Speaking of which, it’s 2pm so cauliflower soup time.

Yes Thin. Bought roughly 500gms pork mince, divided it up into 80g portions then added all the ingredients and divided that into 6 balls. Bit fiddley but worth it.

Sorry EA it was the hot chips that made me think of you.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,301 through 10,350 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.