Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 1 day, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,351 through 7,400 (of 28,029 total)

• Nap, I’m not having a good FD either – I ate stupid food yesterday just because I could. I always pay on a FD when I eat too much sugar the day before.

I’m only putting out theories for us to discuss, I don’t know that 4:3 wouldn’t be better than 5:2. From my own experience, fasting gradually shaped my body into making better food choices and reducing portion sizes. I tend to eat better and less on feast days than I used to (notwithstanding blowing it yesterday). So, I would think that fasting more often would have an even greater effect on that.

My understanding is that it’s equally important that our body experiences the feast part of ‘feast and famine’ in order to build a better response i.e. we require some inflammation in order to stimulate the repair on fast days. I guess what I’m asking is are you eating enough on the feast days? Sorry I’m not being very scientific – plus I’m experiencing a serious brain fog today.

Hi Thin

Sorry you’re not feeling too good today. I really appreciate the support and encouragement you give to others. So I return it today. ??

I agree with your comments re 5:2 giving the feast and famine effect. Provided we stick to our TDEE and the quarter TDEE on fast days. In my case this means 1600 calories on feast days and under 400 on fast days. As you know if I’m creeping up in weight, i go under 300 calories on fast days. But never more than two fast days a week.

Cheers, Bay ?

Hi Thin,

Hope you FD improved along the way! Yep, I’m being very careful. Experiment well and truly over and back to my usual FD tomorrow. So this week will end up 2 FDs and a 19:5 750 calorie day.

Thanks for your info Bay. It helps me to stay on course doing straight 5:2.

Nap, if you look around the forum, it’s easy to find people here and there who aren’t prepared to just go with 5:2. They want it to go faster, so from day 1 they don’t actually do 5:2 the add lots of deprivation in there, till it’s actually something else. I don’t know if it works for them or if they give up because they’re trying to go too hard, and it becomes overwhelming. The reason this is 5:2, which Bay described above, and is shown as the end result of Dr Mosley’s exploration of intermittant fasting research, is because 5:2 is doable. It’s not called 4:3, or eat very little all the time or 2:5 or whatever variation/deprivation people add in there. 5:2 is doable, sustainable, and it works. It doesn’t matter if the 2 FD’s are back to back or spread through the week, it still works. It doesn’t matter what the food is, so it’s very adaptable to everyone’s lifestyle. What matters is as Bay said – TDEE 5 days and 500 or 1/4 of your TDEE 2 days. Doing more for most people is too hard for most people to sustain. I can’t offer an opinion on the starvation mode thing, but over and over again, we see that 5:2, as it was designed, works. I have a suggestion though –

Actually 2 suggestions. I don’t know your activity level, but I’m guessing low, like Cinque and I have to be. So for methere’s no way I can do HIT or use calories exercising or walking etc. it’s all got to come down to food. 2 things will slow down right or stop my weight loss, and can also lead to me putting on weight sometimes.

1. Eating grain foods and starchy foods eg potato pumpkin, dates, etc Even keeping to the 5:2 guidelines re calories and 2 FDs, by the end of the week I’ll plateau or go up. When I learnt there were some people whi discovered these things stopped their weightloss, I tried eliminating these and yep, Iweight went down again, and it was clear I was one of that group.

2. When we do the 2 FDs we’re eating 500 cals or 1/4 our TDEE on 2 days. The actual fast is from the end of food the night before, through the day of 500 calories, and finishes when we eat on the next day. So, if I finish eating at 8 pm Sunday, FD with 500cals on Monday, finishing by eating at 8am Tuesday, then my fast is 36 hrs long. If I break that fast at 12 noon instead of 8 am, then I’ve added 4 hours and the fast is 40 hrs long. I still eAt my TDEE non fasting calories on Tuesday, but a slughtly linger fast before it. On Tuesday if I eat my food between 12 noon and 8 pm, then I’m eating in an 8hr time period. In the 24 hrs of Tuesday I’ve eaten in 8 of the 24 hrs so it’s called 16:8. I discovered that for me, if I ate in this 16:8 hr pattern on each of my 5 nonFDs then that maximised my weight loss. The 16 hrs becomes a little minifast. I suspect that if I ate within a 5 hr window and did 19:5 on each of my nonFDs then I would lose a bit more. So, I tried a 19:5 yesterday to see what it was like. It was OK, but I don’t think I want to do that every day. I’m very comfortable with 16:8, not hungry before midday, and it’s very sustainable for me.

I also thiink what 5:2 has done is help retrain my brain and body into healthier patterns of eating that are sustainable for the rest of my life. So, for me, it’s not just about the weight loss, it’s also about learning how I can eat healthily for the rest of my life.

Nap, I hope that’s useful for you in helping you work out how to do this comfortably and happily.

Stay well,
    Merry

Thanks all that have been helping today – I really appreciate it.

Thanks so much, Merry for all that you wrote – that is a big help.

I do exercise, sometimes to my detriment. I go for a 60-75min brisk walk most days, or cycling an hour on the bike if I need a change or it is raining. I try and have one day off a week to recover, but that doesn’t always happen. On the medication I am on now, my down times are not as often and nowhere near as severe – but I do have times where I can’t do anything for a few days.

What you said about ‘mini fasting’ the next day reminded me. When I started 5:2, I would continue my fasting until lunch the next day, except for treating myself to a cappucino (with proper milk) first thing on the morning after. So I would stop eating at 8:30pm Sunday night, and then fast until Tuesday lunch. Then I was fasting with 500 cals, whereas now I have got that down to 300cals. I am going to try that again – go back to 5:2, the mini fasting the day after, to extend the fasting. I like the sound of that.

So you do 16:8 every non FD? Do you have any cals on the mornings of your non FD on the 16:8?

Thanks for all the advice.

Thin – keep going misses. It’s 6pm – nearly bed time. You can do this and don’t beat yourself up too much about yesterdays nosh. Much love. EA xxxx

Hi SH,
    goodness me, there must be at least 100 posts in the last couple of days.

I will be up half the night reading them – let alone making any comment or response.

I might just start by welcoming all the newbies like Merz; congrats to everyone still sticking with this WOL; and thank you all for your continued inspiration.

I have been hard at work writing etc but sticking with my 2 FD’s Monday and Wednesday and sometimes a part FD on Friday. I will report in tomorrow after 2nd FD.

So true Merry about not being able to change others opinions but we can change our own reaction to them. Good attitude, but some of us take a while to learn that.

Cinque, I’m going to try that liquorice tea as I love liquorice 🙂 darn, I just read that you shouldn’t have it if you have high blood pressure. That means me, I’m afraid.
    Do you mind putting the link (together with your comments) for the tea up on the recipe site, or if you don’t mind I’ll do it eventually.

Nap, you are doing really well – I am so impressed with your determination. Remember that this is a WOL for good now so those kgs will come off – you know they will. I just get the feeling that you are hung up on that last 21kg. and it’s keeping you down. Try to enjoy this journey and get excited as some of the other readers do about how much your health will improve. I am also wondering if you are making it really hard for yourself by taking such a hard stance on FDs – 300cals is so little food – no wonder you are finding it frustrating. Sorry if I’ve gone on too much 🙂
    (I’ve just noticed others have made some very useful comments further along as well)
    I liked your comment about “letting go of the guilt that you weren’t doing enough” – I hope you can do it. You have already done so much and I know that you will find the right balance for you and stick to this.

Merry, that certainly was an incredible learning experience. I think many of us can relate to some aspects of your story. so thanks for sharing.
    5:2 was very well explained – thanks for giving us a refresher.

Thin, all your travel stories are giving me ‘travel’ envy and I am so wanting to go on a trip too. Spain and Portugal will be terrific. I can’t recall you saying, but have you been there before? Personally, I loved Barcelona and I just LOVE Spanish tapas!!!! and the Jamon buns.
    After study finishes and I get back to normal I think I will treat myself to a trip as well.
    Thin, those rhymes must have been so hurtful and what a lasting legacy they have had. People forget that words are so powerful. I’ll put on my thinking cap and try to contribute to the collective ideas to rhyme with ‘Stanley’ 🙂

Wow, Intesha, I’m sure that you have also done well so far and it’s even a bonus to stay steady for so long but I think I would give up the 3rd FD too 🙂 you really are determined.

Hi EA and Bay,

Coast

loving all the recipes on our page 🙂 have tried a couple with great success.

Cinque, I have already added the info on the liquorice tea

Coast

Hi Everyone,

Coast, Tessy on another thread was also worried about me talking about liquorice tea because it can be dangerous for people with high blood pressure. She added this link: https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/licorice
    It made me think I had better not talk about it too much any more, in case people drink heaps of it and it is bad for them.
    So now I have come on line and oh dear! It is in the recipe thread. Do you think I was clear enough? I think you would have to drink a lot of it to cause harm, but should I add something?

(It is good for me because my blood pressure does not regulate itself well and I have to keep lying down to get blood back to my brain! Orthostatic intolerance, and even so, I don’t drink it all the time)

Wow everyone, I enjoyed reading the last few posts so much. What a lovely group of people you are. You have all really made me smile. Yes thank you, my day did get better after I had my first feeding at noon instead of waiting until 2pm. I realised I’m not compelled to wait until 2pm – flexibility being the key to this whole WOL. Then a neighbour dropped by (who also fasts so ‘gets it’) and we had a long chat over a couple of peppermint teas. I’ve now had my dinner and I’m feeling good. Thanks for your support Bay, Merry, Coast & EA.

Merry, that was an interesting post. It’s good to get reminded of all this info. When I get back from hols, I’m going to read the 5:2 book AGAIN. You are such inspiration with your positive attitude when you have all the other stuff in your life to deal with.

Good to hear from you Coast – no I haven’t been to Spain or Portugal before other than a mad dash hitch-hike through Spain at the end of a year travelling around Africa in my youth. We didn’t see anything of Spain as my friend and I just wanted to get home. Treat yourself to a nice trip Coast – we haven’t been anywhere for two years unless you count a dental tourism trip to Thailand last year. It’s my first time travelling with 5:2 tools. Thanks for the support re: family rhymes – you can call him Stan if it makes it easier! I’m sure they just didn’t know any better, it’s not like we were actually fat. Which recipes have you tried from the thread that you like?

Nap, go easy on yourself. You must be getting lots of really positive comments from people when they see the huge changes in you.

Have a great evening all, and thanks, you guys are amazingly uplifting.

So many posts since this morning even! I’m going to respond in bits and pieces.

Thin I was not an overweight child! But I always thought I was. I couldn’t believe it when I went back to childhood photos and saw how perfectly normal I was! I put weight on as a teenager though!

I am one of a large family, 5th of 7 kids, and everyone was unhappy in their own way. Luckily I have three sisters who I am very close to, after we finally fought our way through our own private battles. It took a while, but we got there in the end.

Nap, I hope you can let go of the guilt that you are not doing enough.
    And you know the way the years whiz by! If you take a year to lose the rest of that weight, no problem, you’ll blink and it will be 2017!
    And while you are blinking we will have plenty of good chats right here!

It will probably take me that long to get rid of the 5 kilo extra I am carrying about, so we will nicely finish at the same time! And join the Maintenance Thread together!

PS I hope the dizzy spell went away quickly, and doesn’t come back.
    (It must be the season for them! I think mine is completely gone now. Yay.)

Hi Coast and all you lovely people.

Cinque – I ate a licorice wheel when I were a nipper. Went to bed. Woke up. Black sick all over my hair and pillow. My sister had to clean it up because my mum was at work and my dad can’t handle it when people are “being bad”. So I for one will be steering clear from the tea ha ha.

Thin – I am glad you are feeling better now. We all have our moments.

Fast day for me tomorrow. Well done to all you Wednesday fasters.

Hi Merz,
    Welcome here!
    It must be a challenge to do 5:2 with full time work, and three kids – let alone the extended family! I do hope you find good support with us…

Don’t fuss if you haven’t got time to read all the emails, we understand! Just let us know how you are going, and ask any questions, or have a good whinge, or celebration – depending on the day!

Wishing you well!

Last post for now (I promise 😉 )
    I love the conversation about Feast and Famine and all the things we can do to 5:2. So many good points. I just loved what you wrote Merry!

Thin, Cheers on turning around your Fast Day, I hope you wake up feeling excellent tomorrow.

Poor EA, what a ghastly liquorice experience! No liquorice tea for you!

Fast Day for me tomorrow too! And on Friday I am catching up with those three sisters I mentioned, so I am looking forward to that!

Good night, sweet dreams.

Eeeeew, thanks for sharing EA! Thanks for your posts Cinque and goodnight all.

wow! You guys are so lovely and supportive to each other – and practical too which I love!
    Thanks for the welcomes.
    First day went well – down 700g but now its ‘normal’ eating for a couple of days. My challenge will be to not restrict my calories too much as this had been my latest thing, and I need to remember to hit my TDEE; the other challenge will be not looking at scales to dishearteningly until things even out over the week too?

Good morning all, what a wealth of knowledge is expressed in this forum. I have learnt so much from all of you. I think we are all stronger because of the bond we have formed here even though most of us have no idea who we are talking to.

Someone explained to me the other day that our lives are like a clock. At 12 o’clock our lives are going just fine, between that and 12.15 it starts to get a little out of kilter, between that and 12.30 we are in the depths of grief, despair, all the ugly things, between that and 12.45 we are starting to feel a little bit more in control, between that and 12 everything is rosy again and we are enjoying life and everything is good. I am in the last quarter and intend on enjoying everything that comes my way because I know that sooner than I would like I will be on that downward slope with my parents.

Thin enjoy every moment of your trip, make lots of new memories. I certainly intend to. I am taking my grandchildren to a place called Lapland UK and Legoworld when I arrive, it will be their Xmas present. It is costing me an arm and a leg but these will be precious memories to look back on.

In a reflective mood as you can see.

Have a great day everyone. FD today 72.5.

Hi:

I am fascinated by the discussion on starvation mode and its counterpart, ‘feast and famine’.

As you know (because you have read the FAQ section at the top of this page and Dr. M’s post on the subject, not to mention clinical studies), there is no such thing as ‘starvation mode’ for overweight or average weight people – it is a myth with no factual support. If you look at the metabolism calculator at the top of this page (the TDEE calculator) you will also notice there is no input for number of calories eaten during the day/week/month or whatever. That is because the number of calories eaten do not impact a person’s metabolism (TDEE).

There is absolutely no truth to the belief that if you eat more calories, you will lose weight faster than if you eat fewer calories. The fastest way to lose weight is to eat nothing at all (water fast), and if a ‘starvation mode’ was around anywhere, that would be where it would step in and prohibit or inhibit weight loss. Instead, you lose a little less than a pound a day over time. As I have posted in other threads, the longest documented medically supervised water fast lasted for a little over 54 weeks and the gentleman lost around 276 pounds – no starvation mode there!

So feel free to eat as little as you wish and don’t worry about eating to your TDEE on non diet days.

The less you eat, the more you lose.

Hi Simco

As you know I don’t disagree with anything that you say. I think that there is an element of boredom, and the feeling of always restricting oneself is what means that many people give up on many diets.

I would Rather have 5:2 with its allowable food intake that is sustainable for life than a permanently restricted intake of food. This means that I lost 15 kg and have kept it off for over 21 months.

When I see people on here complaining that they feel permanently deprived, then I think it’s time to look at type of food intake and the amount f food. In my case ( and many like me ) I have to remove starches and white foods from my intake to sustain a healthy eating lifestyle.

Cheers, Bay

Hi Simco

I’m thinking about the issue. What I feel is that the issue of a healthy weight and diet is comprised of three parts, physical, mental and emotional. Your approach addresses the physical aspect of the issue.

May I venture to say that most of us would never have been overweight if we had the emotional and mental aspects of food under control. Physical control comes first, but emotional and mental control is what sustains us for the long haul.

What I am proudest of achieving through 5:2 is portion control and making good choices on type of food. I cannot write more now as am on my way to golf. All the best.

Cheers, Bay ??

Thanks for your input simco. We’re having the discussion because posters on this thread have reported absolutely no loss after switching from 5:2 to 4:3 and maintaining that regime over many weeks. Can you offer any insight into that? There’s quite a difference between someone who’s 276 lbs overweight and someone trying to shed the last 5-10kgs to achieve their goal weight. The problem with traditional calorie restricted diets is that they’re not sustainable, people feel deprived and they just give up. Weight loss is a tangible side effect of fasting. But if we believe in 5:2 for health and longevity, don’t we need the feast as well as the famine effect? Otherwise how is this different from any other calorie restricted diet?

Morning Bay, I’ve just seen your posts. Enjoy golf. I’m off for my walk with a spring in my step this morning. There’s nothing like the feeling of a fast behind you. Have a great day Thursday fasters.

Morning all, what a lot of messages, will read shortly,

Nap, you asked if I have any calories in the morning of 16:8. No, none at all. I have hot peppermint tea, very weak Earl Grey tea or just water. Say, if I had any calories at 8am finishing at 8pm, then I’d be doing a 12:12 day, 10am then 14:10 etc. So effectively, when you have your cappucino in the morning, that’s when you’re ending your overnight minifast. If it was black coffee it wouldn’t. I’m presuming your cappucino is made on a shot of coffee then whizzed whole milk. So calories are : 220mls cappucino – 121cals, 250 mls – 138cals, 300mls – 165cals. Calories we drink are counted in the same way as cals we eat. We’d all love it if they weren’t:-)

Merry

Hi bay and thin:

Plateaus are bad or good depending on your place in the weight loss cycle. If you are trying to lose weight, they are bad, but if you have reached your goal and are trying to maintain your new, lower weight, plateaus are good. Over several decades, I have never run into someone who had reached their weight loss goal and was concerned that if they began to eat more food, their weight loss would resume! For some reason, they tend to think if they eat more food, their weight gain will resume. And they have proven themselves correct many times.

Plateaus are common and efforts to figure out why they happen on a short term basis (a month or less) and do something about them are pretty much a waste of time in my opinion. Even long term water fasters will hit a (very short) plateau occasionally, and even gain every once in awhile (though not often or for more than a day). If you drink a couple of glasses of water (not to mention the incredible amounts reported on this and other sites as ‘necessary’ for weight loss) and the body needs the water and retains it, then you have gained a pound ‘for no reason’.

I have addressed real plateaus of over a month (and most other common questions about 5:2) on this thread (look for the plateau link): https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/.

The thread, in the TDEE link, also explains why going to 4:3 does little, especially since people that add one more diet day tend to eat even more on their non diet days and reduce the minimal effect of the small reduction in calories caused by an additional diet day. All research and reporting I have seen indicates people that do 4:3 lose only a small amount more than they do on 5:2.

The mental aspect of dieting is extremely important, and if a person is not ready to do what it takes to lose weight (eat less over a long period of time) then there is little that can be done. I don’t know how ‘deprived’ is defined, but most overweight people feel deprived simply by not being able to eat the way they are used to eating. And they can’t wait for the diet to end so they can go back to not being deprived – that is, eating the way they want to eat but could not during the diet. And, of course, they gain the weight they lost back, and then some. I’m afraid, from a mental point of view, there is no way for a person to lose and then maintain their weight loss unless and until they eliminate the concept of being deprived because they have to eat less. They just have to decide they are not deprived at all by eating so little food and go on to other matters. Because to maintain their weight loss they will have to eat very little food for the rest of their lives – their new, lower TDEE.

As far as the ‘feast and famine effect’, I’m afraid I don’t know what that is. There is no scientific evidence that eating one day and not eating the next leads to any material long term health benefits, aside from weight loss (if you don’t over eat on non diet days) and benefits commonly associated with weight loss such as better blood work and lower blood pressure. These benefits are not to be sneezed at, but they can be achieved with any other reduced calorie diet without feasting and fasting. Research does show that four plus day water fasts can be very beneficial for many chronic diet caused conditions and other conditions like epilepsy, among others, but that research has not extended such benefits to water fasts consisting of a few hours or even a day or two.

The genius of 5:2 is that a person can eat whatever they want – no type of food deprivation at all – and if they stick to the calorie guidelines they will lose weight. They won’t lose fast, and their weight loss will not proceed in a straight line down, but they will lose. They have to. And if they are not losing weight for a month or more, they are eating too much. It really is that simple.

The less you eat, the more you lose (or the more you eat the less you lose).

I really enjoyed reading that thank you simcoeluv. I think too mnay people, me included, over analyze everything & this puts it simply & plainly. I love the feeling of freedom that 5:2 has given me & now have no trouble coping with hunger on fast days. I can see myself doing this indefinitely (maybe 6:1 when I get to my goal weight.)

HI SH,

Signing in,
    weigh-in after 2 FDs – 200gms down. 11.2kg let go since 1st Aug 2015. Yayy!!!

Interesting forum conversation today. Thanks for the input Simco. It’s always good to have alternative opinions and new facts made available.

As you can see, I am taking it slow. Totally see your point about eating less to lose weight but I am following the concepts as set out by Bay and Thin – the physical, mental and emotional approach.

I am doing this 5:2 as a way to make changes in my relationship and choices with food and also life. I am satisfied with a slower weight loss as long as I feel the my days are pretty normal and don’t involve massive deprivation (calorie restriction) which is unsustainable in the long-term. That is not life.

I think many of us would agree that it is not the weight loss that is a problem, it is the weight loss maintenance we have issues with. Many of us are experts at weight loss – it is keeping it off that has been a problem in the past.

I am feeling that with the changes inspired through 5:2, I will be able to slowly lose the weight and then maintain that loss. We are learning so much about what works and doesn’t work for our own individual bodies and learning to watch for the emotions that trigger the munchies and developing the mental strength to overcome those emotions and munchy attacks because we know ourselves so much better. All with the help of our forum buddies.

To sum up, we are making better choices and reduced portion sizes (most of the time) but also know that if we don’t, it is not the end of the world 🙂 and yes, that does involve eating less at times when we choose to 🙂 and we often find we are doing just that – but some days have to be fun.

signing off

Coast

(ps hope I didn’t rave on too long)

Good day everyone,
    Half way through my Fast Day and trying the early afternoon coffee trick again, I think it is working.

Thanks for following through with the liquorice root tea rider Coast!

Interesting posts here!

Go Merz, I think the best trick with 5:2 is to make it long term sustainable. (Much as we would love instant changes!)

Cheers to the golfers and walkers and all the other nice things people are doing!

Afternoon all. Just a quickie from me to say hi and well done to you Thin for another successful fast day and Cinque, I’m right here with you. Just enjoying my second green tea with mint of the day. Well, I haven’t been walking and golfing like you energetic lot but have been baking!! Yeah, probably not the best choice of activities on a fast day but there you go.

Righto, best get on.

Ha EA, enjoy that baking, I hope you can eat some tomorrow.
    I’ve finally had a chance to check out the new SBS food channel (33). It is just fab, but pushing it a bit on a Fast day! Still, I will keep watching and do some ironing too.

I haven’t checked out that new food channel yet Cinque but I will (but not today!) Most of the time I don’t mind being around food on fast days (as long as I remember not to nibble). I’ve got to feed the five thousand anyway. Today I made a pecan carrot cake for the first time ever and can’t even try it. The kids have given it the thumbs up though and I shall save some for me to eat tomorrow.

Hope you got your ironing done. I’ve got more ironing than you can shake a hanger at at the moment.

Well, soon be tea and bed time and that’ll be another fast day under our belts. I’m looking forward to the weigh in tomorrow.

Hi Simco,

Good to read your input today. I’ve been a simcoeluv fan since my 1 st day on the forum, reading the basics for newbies thread. When I’ve had a question, I’ve also at times searched for your input on the topic. Recently my OH has switched from now-and-again 5:2ing to getting serious about his weightloss and I was able to refer him to one of your threads for the info he was looking for that, I couldn’t answer in enough detail for him.Many times on this thread, over the year I’ve been here, newbies have been referred to that newbies thread. So… many thanks, again, on you input re ‘starvation mode’. It does make me think, though of people who had very restricted food for several years during WW2. I have a relative who was a POW for 3 1/2 years. He says since then he has struggled with an off switch for hunger. He has to deliberately stop eating mentally, not from any satiation. I’ve noticed a similar thing with a couple of people who went through the same thing in eg The Nethelands. Not quite as severe as the POW on 1 bowl rice per day, but prettyrestricted nonetheless

It would be easier if we were all clones of the perfect physical specimen and could also afford the medical supervision required to do extended fasts, to get the weight down asap. Unfortunately, as we all know, ‘Life’ can get in the way, and people can respond by eating to feel better, can have medical conditions where it’s unwise to fast eg the diabetes thing, or have challenges with body dysmorphia and too much calorie restriction leading to anorexia etc. For me, I have a suspected small amount of mitochondrial dysfunction. Suspected by several medicos and myself. 5:2 works for me, and I’m comfortable on it, and losing weight, 15 kgs in a year. Have you come across any info on either weight loss in general with mito, or how the mitochondria might react on extended fasting. I had a wee bit of a challenge experimenting with back to back fasts, and not willing to give it another go, but if you could point me in the direction of any research you may have come across I’d appreciate it.

I don’t think anyone seriously thinks eating more would give more weight loss, but it’s interesting how people work through their personal foibles and situations to get comfortable with their weight loss. I wasn’t prepared to ‘diet’ in the conventional sense, but I was desparate to improve my health, and after many years of working things through, getting off the weight I put on through ill health was the last thing I could do. It is a joy to have found something that wirks and a tool to use in maintenace.

Cheers,
    Merry

Thanks for explaining that, Merry. My morning cappucino after a FD was with half cup low fat milk, yes. On FD I have the unsweetened almond milk, and yes, count it. I just wasn’t sure if, as we get 500cals for a FD, maybe you allow yourself 100 cals for the morning or something.

I am not saying the more calories a person eats, the faster the metabolism. But I am not convinced that the body doesn’t adjust to a lack of food over time. It has to store some fat and nutrients to survive, when food is in constant short supply. And that explains one reason why 5:2 works – the body can’t adjust to the ‘fasting’. If it was as simple as calorie reduction, then wouldn’t we all lose the same amount of weight in the same timeframe when we diet?

Hi Nap,

Strictly speaking, a fast is no calories at all, zilch. Dr Michael Mosley did an overview of ‘intermittant fastin’g’ research, trying out different versions. He postulated that 2 fast days a week would help people get the health benefits of intermittant fasting, and would be sustainable. To address the difficulty of having no calories on a fast day, he then postulated that to have a small no. of calories would make it easier, and it seems he was right for his own health, and many people report the same. Me included as I’m off BP meds and other things. He decided to still call them fasting days, but to be very technical they’re not. . Also strictly speaking, the no. of calories on a fast day should be at 1/4 of our personal TDEE or under. The no of cals on nonFDs is your TDEE or under. Also as your weight goes down, it’s helpful to redo your TDEE, as you lose weight it goes down.

Anyway…. You get the gist, on the nonFDs when I do 16:8, I don’t have anything before midday.

I don’t claim to know much about the physiology of the fasting state, but my understanding is that it’s not about the body not adjusting to fasting, but rather that it does something different in fasting mode. In intermittant fasting, the body goes into cell repair mode during fasting. It adjusts quite well to fasting, when it’s not taking calories in to produce energy over the fasting period, it draws on energy stored in the body.

Re losing the same amount when we all fast: i really don’t know enough to answer this, but I’m taking a guess that there are so many variables that effect the rate at which we lose e.g. The amount we take in, the amount of exercise we do, the difference in fat/ muscle ratios in healthy men to women’s ratio, the % of muscle mass we have individually etc. generally though, there seems to be an average, which I can’t remember right now. The important thing to focus on is that 5:2 works, and if you stick with it it will get you where you want to go.

You’ve done really well Nap. You lost 25 kgs before you got to 5:2 and a considerable amount since you’ve been here. You ‘ll kick it all by this time next year and quite possibly sooner, and we’ll be here to celebrate with you. Remember that this is about getting you there healthier and then working out how to maintain it over time. You will settle into a pattern of eating and exercise that you’re comfortable with. You’re more than halfway there. Despite it feeling otherwise, happiness is more of a choice than we think. Thinking in a glass half empty mode might be more of habit than you realise. There’s an old saying out there ” Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”

I had my next FD today, and got through it well with no dizziness at all, and having 407cals. Interested to see what my morning weigh in is.

Good night,
    Merry

Marvellously put Merry. Thursday fasters, you have another day behind you (well almost for you EA). I hope you got in lots of fun toddler time if you weren’t doing the ironing. The pecan & carrot cake sounds yummy. Cinque and EA, I checked out that food channel last night. I quite enjoy cooking on a FD and it’s taught me not to lick & taste everything as I used to do!

Simco, I know you’ve posted extensively on various threads and I too read a lot of your info for newbies when I started 5:2. You clearly have an extensive background in nutrition and a comprehensive knowledge of it. But I’m curious to know, if you’re willing to divulge, what is your personal experience with 5:2?

I’m glad I went for that early morning walk – I was rewarded with seeing a mother and baby dolphin. Always a uplifting sight.

Well done for another successful fast day today Merry and I’m glad you were giddy free. Exciting to know what the scales say tomorrow. I’m hoping to be in the 63’s as weighed in at 64.1 this morning.

How lovely seeing dolphins on your walk Thin. I had a fun time today with the toddler thank you; I even bounced on a trampoline!

Well, waiting to see Gogglebox before going to bed so I don’t risk nibbling that cake.

Night all
    xxxx

Well, I managed to not overeat too much on my first postFD! Although hard to resist when students bring chokes and its cake day at work! I was sensible at all other times! So down 100g still which I didn’t expect. I’m doing really well with drinking much more water than I usually would which truly does help…go figure 😉
    Interesting discussions re: 5:2, 4:3, calories etc… As this is my first week and I started mid week, I’m trying to play catch up and will try another fast day today, then on track to be a monday, Thursday faster. That will temporarily give me a 4:3 but hopefully I can manage – there is no way I could fast on a weekend! One of my previous ‘diets’ was the protein shakes – they actually aren’t too bad and will will try that on my FD. Will keep me at around 400 calories and I already know what that is like so fingers crossed!
    Time to get kids up and head to work! Have a great day everyone!

Good morning, quick post as I have one of my sisters staying overnight ( she has begun 5:2 too) another sister, whose birthday is today, coming soon, and another one we are meeting for lunch. A lovely day! We are spread out over the state, so it is great to get together.

Metz, well done, I hope you have a nice extra Fast day, but don’t feel pressured to ‘ make up’. I like your idea of using the shake on Fast Day. I find it so easy if I know exactly what I am going to eat. ( for me it is soup).

So good reading the other posts. Merry it is great to get it really clearly back to the basics of what 5:2 is. The reason it works in my life is because of those decisions Michael Mosley made to make it doable.

Best wishes everyone for a lovely day. It is cool and easy here

PS Thin, Dolphins, wow!.

Hi everyone,

Good to read everyone’s messages! Well done Merz! Great to get your 1st FD done successfully. OH(other half) and I started on a Thursday. I think it went….. Documentary Monday night, bought book Tuesday, both read it, shopping and planning Wednesday, 1st FD Thursday. Welcome to the Mon/Thur fasters group which is the most common group I think. And yes we have various other combinations as well as the valient couple who fast on Sunday. Then there are those who are the sliders – those who change their fast days around through the week regularly. There’s the B2Bs, back to backers, the stoic ones fasting 2 days in a row and getting them out the way, and a number of ODB, one day betweeners who seem to be mostly Mon/Wed fasters. All good.

Good idea to measure everything, waist, hips, chest, upper arms, thighs etc neck, wrists too if you want. Sometimes the weight doesn’t go down but the measurements do.

Water… Debates over that one. I’m a drink-lots-of-water faster. Feeling hungry on a fast day – glass of water, peppermint tea etc. some do, some don’t.

Looking forward to celebrating your journey with you 🙂

Merry

Merryme- what a great post! I have been posting in another forum daily for 8 years, so don’t have much time left over to post in here, but the info has been invaluable for me. It’s a great forum with lots of support. I had lost 36kg in 6 months in 2007, but in the last couple of years, my weight was slowly creeping up, no matter what I did. I felt like I was on a perpetual diet, which wasn’t working. I am finding 5:2 works really well for me. I started Aug ’15 & had hoped to lose 6kgs & be content with that. After losing 5.5 already, I have re-assessed & am now aiming for another 5.5, to get me back to my ideal weight. I don’t care how long it takes me. Hunger no longer bothers me & that is a biggie for me. I feel hungry, acknowledge it & then ignore it, knowing that it is only temporary, it is becoming easier to cope with each week & is so worth it. I fast on Mondays & Thursdays usually & play golf on Wednesdays & sometimes Saturdays. I’m 62 yrs old. I am feeling fitter than I have done for 30 years. Cheers, Cate

Just saw your last post. I meant the one before, in particular 🙂 I have wondered if my bigger drop this week was because I changed my days to Tues & Thurs, but am thinking it was most probably that I also ate less on my other days as my stomach seems to have well & truly shrunk. Love 5:2!

Quick update,

Weekly weigh in day Monday – 67.7kg
    Today after FD – 67.2kg, now to keep it off till my next mark-it-on-the-graph weigh in next Monday. I weigh and record daily, graph i it weekly.

Celebrating a new mini-goal reached getting past 67.5kg. That was my 6th mini-goal and 2 to go. Doing a big reward this time – will be booking a ticket to the ballet.

Worked out my new stats: BMI. 23.6, TDEE 1500 cals. FD cals = 1/4 of TDEE = 375 cals.
    Up to this point I’ve always worked off the 500 cals/FD given in principle on 5:2. I’m now a tad over 5kgs from my goal weight and I’m going to start taking 1/4 of my TDEE as my FD cals. Probably time to revisit weighing, measuring and adding up cals for nonFDs to make sure I’m not doing the portion-creep thing., especially since we’re heading into celebration time of various sorts – Diwali, Christmas, Hannukah, New Year’s Eve, Hogmany, January down time, you know, sit and watch the sport month for some, BBQ’s, fish and chips at the beach, visiting etc etc. Don’t get fazed by all of that SHs, it also means lots of salads of all sorts, fresh fruit, seafood which is mostly low cal, lot’s oohs and aahs from people we haven’t seen for awhile who get to see us looking much better. New swimmers even. Just remembered I got new togs on Wed! It’s been years, and felt so good. K Mart, $12 for bottom, $15 for the top that pulls down over the pants, or if your ame or younger there were bikini tops to match. Also have tummy control in the pants and top, and the pants didn’t do that too-high-up-the-leg thing. I went in to find cotton pjs and came out with pjs, togs, and a couple of cotton tops. Going back next week to try on jeans.

Hugs to all,
    Merry

Lovely to hear from you Cate, and thanks. Good to hear that you are feeling so comfortable on 5:2, and setting that new goal. I echo all you’ve said about hunger – now I know what it really feels like and can ignore it. What a revelation. Now I even look forward to FDs. Who would have thought :-). Even if you don’t post often Cate, we’ll remember you’re here reading 🙂

Cheers,
    Merry

Well done Cate and Merry.

Quick one from me as its the manic time of the morning.

Well, I weighed in the same 64.1. Disappointed I have to say but then I reminded myself that I was 65.5 on Monday so can’t complain too much. I never seem to lose as big (or at all) after my second fast of the week than my first. Does anybody else have this issue?

Had a cup of tea this morning with milk but not hungry for breakfast. Going out where there will be morning tea so hopefully there is something healthy there and that will be my breakfast. Don’t want to eat too much though as the hubby is taking me out for lunch.

All the best Friday fasters
    xxxx

Sorry, forgot to say, welcome Merz and congratulations on your weight loss. I don’t do 4:3 nor back to backs. I used to fast on Mondays and Wednesdays but I do switch about and seem to fast more now on Thursdays. But I am flexible depending on what I am doing but I do try to stick to Mondays no matter what. But you will discover your own rhythm. The best advise I can give is check in regularly with this forum. These lovely bunch of women really help to keep each other in check and will kick you up the bottom if so required. And boy have I required it ha ha.

EA

Hi SH,

just quick pop in before heading to uni.
    I am having a semi FD (so far it’s been a full FD) but don’t know how I’ll feel after coming home – so leaving it open.

Love reading all your posts.

EA, normally I have a good 2nd FD if I have made good selections the day before – so I have to bear that in mind. I have been pretty well a Monday and Wednesday FDer with Fridays thrown in when it feels easy. Good downward trend for you though 🙂 well done.

Merry, interesting and fun posts. Lots of good reminders about measuring etc. Had you also been away or just busy?

Cinque have a great day with your sisters

Welcome to Merz and Cate.
    Thin, I was going to write that I knew nothing about the dolphins when I found the post ..hahaha how wonderful – a lovely sight for sure.

Still doing well, Nap. I know your are working on the positive outlook as well – stick with the forum and you will get where you need to be 🙂

Intesha, when are you going on your trip? We really need a timeline – I am finding it hard to remember who is going where and when LOL!!! (memory!!)

Does anyone one know what Julie is up to?

must go,
    have a good day all you FDers, and the rest of you enjoy your NFDs,

Coast

Hi Thin:

I’ve posted my ‘results’ on other threads, so in a nutshell I have lost 40 pounds using 5:2 and have maintained the loss for about 10 months now. I will be going back on 5:2 after the first of the year to lose some more.

My FD’s are Tuesday and Thursday and as Ive said the last few months have been doing Sunday as well but I think that is about to stop as I have a few things coming up.

Weight this morning a new PB 71.6. I’m trying so hard not to focus on getting under 70 before my trip and have to keep reminding self that this time last year I was 86.1.

Coast I leave on 16 December back 4 February. Thin leaves before me I think. I will have Internet access at my daughters so will still be able to keep an eye on you all. I will not be weighing myself until I get back and I’m not going to stress while I am away.

Hi Merryme:

The impact starvation combined with fear of death from other causes can have on the mind can be terrible. In my opinion, the awful things humans do to each other simply cannot be rationally explained – but there are plenty of reasons put forth to justify the conduct.

As for your ‘mitochondrial dysfunction’, you do not say whether it is mitochondrial myopathy or mitochondrial encephalomyopathy. Either way, I have not run across (or looked for) any research addressing those conditions and fasting.

You would be amazed at the number of people that actually believe their metabolisms slow down if they don’t eat enough food and feel to speed up their metabolisms and resume losing weight they have to eat more food than they have been eating on whatever their diet. The starvation mode myth has taken hold and spread, can be found all over the internet, can be heard from personal trainers explaining to their clients why they are not losing weight despite all of the exercise they are being subjected to (and paying for), and as an excuse not to skip meals or go for very long without food. I have never researched its origin, but expect it started in some kind of diet book. I would assume the book was successful (if it exists) because who wouldn’t buy a diet book that told the reader/dieter to eat more food in order to lose weight!

As with most myths, there is a kernel of truth to it, as there really is such a thing as ‘starvation mode’. It happens when the human body gets below 5% body fat, and the ‘metabolism’ slows down up to 40% to try to slow down the body from eating its muscles (read heart) to stay alive. Most people that die of starvation die from heart attacks. Even in starvation mode, however, the body continues to lose weight as it eats its muscles. However, anyone of normal weight, much less anyone who is overweight and trying to lose weight, never comes close to starving and slowing down their metabolisms – even if they think they are because of missing a few meals or eating less than they have been for pretty much any period of time. I have not run into anyone with 5% or less body fat on a weight loss diet unless they are anorexic.

Hi Naptime:

As they say, it is not that simple. You might check my post of 13 Feb 15 on this thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. It covers some basic thoughts on metabolism. And, as I have often done before, I recommend you watch this BBC program: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/why-are-thin-people-not-fat/

Along the way, it explains why some people get fat, and some don’t. Very interesting.

You can’t turn your back for five minutes without missing out on so much on here. Was it Coast or Cinque wanting a timeline? I leave on Tuesday for just over 7 weeks. I doubt I’ll be able to post much as we’re only taking OH’s ipad mini and I neither know how to use it, nor does he like sharing. Also though, the plan is to immerse ourselves in local culture rather than ‘staying connected’. But I’ll be thinking of you all often especially every time I put something in my mouth that shouldn’t be going in. Unlike Intesha, I’ll be continuing my obsessive weighing morning & night as my Veretta travel scales are going with me.

That name has reminded me of the Vegetti that we used to discuss here – do the newer posters know about the gadget that makes ‘spaghetti’ from courgettes?

EA, sorry you didn’t get the result you’d hoped for this morning – don’t give up, you’ll be fine. Yes I often experienced variable results between and after FDs and gave up trying to rationalise. Well done Intesha and Merry.

That’s an impressive result simco – especially the maintenance aspect. Have you been maintaining with 6:1? All the months I’ve been reading your posts, I’ve been assuming you’re a male – but having met two people from this thread and exchanged photos with one other, I know our perception of who it is we’re corresponding with can be quite incorrect! Not that it matters either way.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,351 through 7,400 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.