Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,651 through 5,700 (of 28,011 total)

• Sorry Dodo….I warned ya! Looks like the name has stuck.

Intesha – I have been known to do this as well. Two of my favourite things, scotch & nuts! I just don’t have any dinner that night or something really light. Then you can still count it as a FD. Just don’t tell Purple…she might growl at me!!!! CM xx

Hi all
    Didn’t know I was that scary CM 😉
    I’m a great believer in a ‘liquid dinner’. What I find amazing when we’ve had a few wines and nibbles (usually nuts) that we stop there now and skip dinner. In the past it would have been the prelude to dinner!

I used to pour my soda water in an attractive glass, add ice and a slice of lime when we first started. I drink it straight now.

Gremlins is a great name for kefir grains! I’ve been leaving mine for 36 hours in the cold of winter. Beautiful thick kefir and the little fellas have multiplied like mad. When I was overseas for 5 weeks, I froze them in a little milk. They were up and active again in 24 hours. Brilliant stuff.

A comment on fast timing. I quickly changed to Mon/Thurs after about a month as I found having only one day between fasts hard to manage, especially with leftovers.

Keep up the good work SHs 🙂 P

Greetings, all, and welcome newcomers.

I am curious about this kefir, which I hadn’t heard of before, and am considering giving it a try. Where do you source your grains from?

Snow on the hilltops here in Wellington, wind straight off the Antarctic at the moment.

Morning All. Only a tiny bit Purple! Love my gremlins too, but thanks for the tip on freezing. Didn’t know about that. Always worry when leaving them for more than a couple of weeks. Do you use full fat or low fat milk? Thin is worried about the cals. How much do you drink each day?

Coincidentally, we had friends drop in yesterday unexpectedly & I had 2 wines & some almonds, Then a big plate of fresh rocket & a tomato with a little beautiful parmesan, a squeeze of lemon & some good garlic infused EVOO & that was dinner. Even in the cold weather it was delicious. Still way under 500 as I didn’t eat yesterday til the almonds.

Can’t post with emojis in my msg again. Anyone having probs?

Have a great day! CM xx

Hi Barata. Our posts crossed. Goggle suppliers in NZ. Try Gumtree or EBay too. Traditionally they are meant to be passed on for free or just postage costs, but some people have started it as a business. I’d send some to you but if AustPost didn’t lose them, NZ Customs would probably nab them! I’ll have a look to. There’s a Facebook group I’ve joined that pass them around. I’ll see if there’s anyone in Wellington or NZ. CM xx

Hi CM abd B
    Mr P bought our kefir grains on eBay. If you know anyone doing it, though, it is like sourdough starter…just keeps growing.
    I only use full fat everything. Research shows fat doesn’t create fat (carbs do) and fat is needed in the diet. I try to use full fat Jersey milk for my yoghurt, but kerfir is better on normal full cream.
    I drink 1/2 glasss a day, but none when fasting. Mr P believes it to be a wonder drug! P

Hi Barata, This lady says on her page that she would be happy to send milk kefir grains to anyone in her area and she’s in Wellington too. Bingo. Have a look at her blog http://www.nzecochick.com/make-kefir-milk-kefir-grains/ She says that you can email her at “nzecochick at gmail dot com” Hope you have some success and get some of these little gremlins for yourself. Happy fermenting! Oh, and this is a great site that Thin found. Explains everything and how to make kefir – not sure about the method on nzecochick. It’s certainly not the way we do it. http://www.yemoos.com/

I’m with you P, full fat everything. That Jersey milk sounds wonderful. Might just have to try that for my yoghurt too. CM xx

Purple, on the few days I’ve switched my FDs around, I too found having only one day in between two FDs difficult. As you say, there are the ‘leftover’ issues plus I like to have a couple of days of ‘normal’ eating to recover. I have wondered though whether there might be more benefits to M & W fasting because it’s effectively ADF at least for part of the week.

I switched ‘Alfie’ over to low fat milk a couple of days ago and I can’t tell any difference in the taste. If anything, I’d say the texture is smoother but that could be because he’s become adjusted to our kitchen. I’m not worried about fat, just calories. I use FF fat where I can taste it and LF milk otherwise. CM, you’re amazing – you did your Mum’s grocery shopping from Dubrovnik and now you’re shopping for Barata in Wellington. I know there’s a 5:2 home delivery business opportunity out there somewhere.

And how you girls substitute alcohol for food on a FD I just don’t know. As soon as I’ve downed the first G&T, I’m looking for something to eat. After the second, I just wouldn’t care.

Didn’t make it below 62 as hoped but very happy with 62.1kgs this morning. My next FD will be a travel day to Albany so that should be easy enough.

Stick to wine, Thin! Gin would have me curled up, crying in the corner.
    I think the Mon/Wed is no different to Mon/Thurs. ADF is every second day, not 2 days a week…therefore more effective.
    I buy full fat Jersey milk at Harris Farm. Are they in Perth too? I used to milk my own Jersey cow in a former life and love that golden cream!
    My Thursday fast went west taking grandies to a show today. The hot chips were yum and the post excursion wine very relaxing 😉 Ah well! Life happens 🙂 P

Welcome to newbies Jsan and MamaD, we look forward to hearing from you as you go on your 5:2 journey.

We all encourage each other, and occasionally have a miseryguts moment, pick our selves up and get on with getting our weight back to normal and our health improved. We have our wise ones, now in maintenance after achieving their long term goals. We have those of us who are in mid stream, swimming along, occasionally treading water, those who make us laugh, ably led by the class clown, and even a dog called Charlie, who so far is the only one game enough to have his picture posted to the list. Anyhoo….any questions just ask.

JB, congrats on a 2nd successful FD, well done! And Hi to your OH too. My OH is also accompanying me on my 5:2 journey. And we’ve both become water with bubbles converts too.

Thin- how does it feel, getting to your goal weight? Congratulations!!!

Last night looked up my Body Mass Index BMI and 1 more kilo and I go to BMI of 24.9, which is officially in the normal weight range. Incredible. Yes I know there are limitations in BMI measures, but hey, who cares, when I get that next kilo off you’ll probably hear it where ever you are. 2 nd Fd today for me. Went well, so we’ll see how the scales like it in the morning.
    Cheers,
    Merry

Hello and good evening! I’ve been absent for way too long with everybody contributing so much. I can’t really keep up the pace but will chat abit about things that some are a bit curious about. In truth some origins of what I do are lost in the mist of time (which these days just means six months but it’s been such an intense period of reading and research of the Google kind). There is lots of info on coconut oil in coffee on the site ketodietapp. It’s not where I first heard of this way to have coffee like this (also with a bit of cream). The idea is that you take a very high percentage of your daily food from good fats of all kinds (includes butter!) and moderate protein and low carbs. Coconut oil apparently helps you get rid of visceral fat (around your organs) and helps the body release fat from everywhere. These coffees, maybe four a day, help me get through the FDs along with bone broth or, as spoken about with CM, consommé. These things are allowed on the intense fasting regime that Jason Fung patients undergo. I have to say I really like the taste, otherwise probably couldn’t do it! In some ways in a more ideal situation I now believe I could fast for a week or why not two? But my head can’t do that. I really think I could ‘crack’ it if I could do that but it will just have to go slower. When I read about how fast (yes!) some people lose weight I can only wish. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and see whether there’s been movement at the station. No guarantees as far as I can see. The second day of fasting was easier than the first and mid to late afternoon is quite hard. I’m doing this because I’m desperate to lower my persistent high insulin levels (makes you fat) so I’m motivated. As mentioned to thin and CM the other day have put on and lost 25kgs a few times in my life. It’s not so easy now to lose them … I’ve had to learn a lot about managing diabetes not only with food choices but also refraining from food. For me that seemed an impossible idea but it did remind me of the Dr Mosley tv program and sent me out to find the book. My body is just in a state that it needs a harder go at it. I had the rest of my chicken stir fry with added nuts for dinner and had such a ‘longing’ for it that I can’t quite describe as hunger in the sharp sensation sense. There are new sensations to discover on this WOL. I think because I knew I would have dinner tonight it intensifies that feeling. If I was going to fast through I suspect I would have felt different. I think the deep longing for food feeling is akin to a deeply felt sigh of relief. If only I was a metaphysical poet I could express this more precisely!!! Tomorrow I will be back at the ketodietapp recipes and shopping for ingredients and cooking. How nice is that?

Morning fellow Fasters,
    A big welcome to all the new folks and partners that have discovered this life changing forum. Yes I know CM I have been AWOL, but this is largely due to my carer responsibilities with Mum. She has just been diagnosed with two more problems to add to the other umpteen that she already has. She still thinks though at 84 she knows better than the doctors and we are having little fights about her taking her medication. From this point of view she has now put her health in serious decline. So I am learning to walk away instead of fight as I do not want to have this as memories when she is gone.
    At present I am bobbing along, up one week and down the next, except this week I seemed to have got off this plateau, with two drops in two weeks.
    Good news is that I am also pain free now for two weeks, and this has allowed me to kick three drugs that I am sure were messing with my weight, no matter how seriously I fasted, some days were less than 200 cals.
    Great to read about more folks reaching their targets, but please stay around as like other great loosers you are the great winners that inspire others to stick with it.
    CM thank you for posting the photo of Charlie, he sure is very handsome, and I can see he must bring you great joy.
    Cheers everyone, Charlie

Hi Charlie G I read your post with great interest. I think taking drugs is very challenging and have to really work hard at telling myself how lucky I am to have access to them. It must seem very strange to some or many people. I think it has something to do with not wanting to admit you have a problem? I just started a new drug this week that gets your body to excrete excess blood sugar in your urine. It is the only drug that seems to have made any inroads into blood sugar. Down to 5.2 on waking! From in the 9s. Wow. Now Jason Fung has taught that high insulin is the problem and that’s where fasting comes into the equation. Hence here I am!
    So snuggled in bed with coffee and have weighed myself this morning after 48 hr “total” fast and a couple of days of dinner to dinner 24 hr fasts and am down 3.2 kgs. Seems it takes hard core for me and I think that’s because I’ve had some degree of this problem all my life. I didn’t turn 40 and get fat! Have decided I’ll put my numbers up. They’re way higher than others here. I started LCHF in October last year at 106.7 kgs. I started fasting in March this year at 98.1. I have dithered around 94kgs for months bit up bit down. This morning it was 91.7kgs. I’ll weigh again on Monday morning after 3 days of normal eating and see how much I go up, hopefully not too much and go for it again next week with what I will now call HCFD. hard core fast days!!! My absolute goal is 75kgs so I’ll be here for a long time. Thank heavens for such good company. Another free Friday. Yippee!

Oh that’s terrific CharlieG, you’ve made great progress and you’re pain free at last. Sorry to hear about your Mum, you and Intesha are going through similar trials. Really good to hear from you.

Freya, you’re too funny. I imagined you sitting in front of me saying all that while sipping your oily coffee. The coconut oil in coffee tastes better than it looks, I’ll give you that! With your determination, I’m know you’ll be shifting that 20kgs. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about rapid weight loss, the main focus is a downward trend and the confidence that this time you won’t be putting it all back on. You’re going to look amazing this time next year. I’ll def. check out that website thanks as tackling visceral fat is my target.

Just read your second post – wow! 3.2kgs, you must be over the moon with that. And a 5.2 blood sugar reading – now there’s a coincidence. Congratulations all round to you. Almost into the 80s.

Hi Merry, only 1kg until your BMI’s under 25! Woohoo! I sort of cheated about getting to ‘goal’ weight. After losing 20kgs, I was stuck in a loooong plateau and decided it would be easier to declare I was at maintenance than constantly field questions about how much I’d weight I’d lost since a person last saw me. I felt I was becoming defined by this. As soon as I did that, I lost another kg. I’m sticking to 5:2 and seem quite stable around 62.0 – this allows me to fall off the tracks now and then like last night when I had apple crumble & cream.

I’m staying on this thread because this is where I received the support to get where I am and I’d like to share my experiences with others and encourage them. Not that I’m any great guru on nutrition. I don’t think I can commit the time to contributing to several threads although I do lurk on some others occasionally.

Purple, I’m shocked. Hot chips? And on a fast day t’boot. What did Mr P have to say about that and are you fasting today?

Hi fellow Southern Hemispherites!

I am new to the 5:2 thing – just completed my second lot of fasting days and have lost 0.9kg in 10 days. Very pleased as I really struggle to lose weight and what works for most usually makes no impact with me. At 69.6kg and goal is under 60kg so I’ve got a bit of work to do!

Just thought I’d drop in to say hi and introduce myself!

Claire (Malidog is my dog, Mali – my exercise buddy and number one cheerleader. She doesn’t know what she’s cheering for, but she is very enthusiastic!)

Welcome Malidog. Does your dog’s name have anything to do with Africa? Where are you located? Good luck with your goal, you’ve come to the right place.

Hi thinatlast!

Mali is named after the poet Taylor Mali. My husband and I got her after we had just gotten married. At our wedding one of the readings was “How falling in love is like owning a dog” by Taylor Mali. We got her a couple of weeks later and it felt right to name her after the poet! http://www.taylormali.com/poems-online/how-falling-in-love-is-like-owning-a-dog/

I live in Sydney having moved here from NZ 9 years ago. Love it here!

Best of luck with your weight loss journey!

Welcome, Mali. You will be a darned sight warmer in Sydney that in Wellington, that’s for sure. 7 degrees today, but at least the threat (promise) of snow didn’t hit us. Enjoy your 5:2 journey, you will find wonderful success, and great support.

I hit a new PB this morning, 57.1! Well within my arbitrary self-imposed wriggle range of 56 – 58, have never been at this weight since my early teens, as I was always overweight. I stood in front of the mirror naked this morning, as one does when the results of this remarkable WOL are on show, pulled in my gut, and below my ribs have no depth to my body! All the visceral fat that pads out the abdomen has vanished. Yee hah 🙂 🙂

And now, without any prompting, OH mentions this morning that he should get (back) on 5:2, which he gave up when he did that supplement regime which achieved absolutely no visible results. When he tried it for a week at the end of January he lost a kg or two. Since then we have gone back to being a butter-and-full-milk household, and his weight has stayed static.

Thanks for the contact details for kefir, CM. I will definitely follow it up.

Hi everyone from Melbourne! I can’t go through all 114 pages, but I’m so happy to be here – particularly after lurking for a while, and everyone seems so supportive and knowledgeable.

My husband and I have been following 5:2 for 11 weeks now. We haven’t had our bloods yet, but weight is slowly but surely coming off. (Except of course, for a recent hiccup, but more about that in another thread.) It’s been an amazing 11 weeks that has changed a lot for me – far more than the physical – and I look forward to more.

Hello Mali dog! CM and are both named for our dogs, in my case a past love, though I have a current love, Merlin. I read that beautiful poem and sent it to my sister as a companion piece to a lovely ink painting of a dog I gave her earlier today. Magnificent timing. And a lovely introduction …
    We’ve had an easy walk in the sunshine along the river this afternoon before I did the food shopping. I’ve now got soup on the go. I think that 3 hours in the pressure cooker equals about 9 hours in an ordinary pot so leaching as much minerally goodness as possible from the bones. I’m back in bed for a rest and read and enjoying the aroma from the kitchen! I had a late lunch today of a two egg omelette spread with a bit of Philly cheese with chopped chives, smoked salmon and avocado. Rolled up like a roulade. Really delicious and extremely filling. Oh I do like an eating day!! I’m lying here thinking that even on this chilly day a lovely aromatic Sauvignon Blanc would have been magic with that omelette. Maybe in 5 kgs time… And thanks for your encouragement thin. Perhaps a big SHs meet up at Uluru one day?!!! Here we all are together from the reaches of this vast continent and NZ. Pretty amazing.

Freya, you’ve had a lovely cruisey day by the sounds of it. I make that roulade too, I use fresh dill, slice it like sushi, serve it as an appetiser and guests seem quite impressed.

Hi Betsygirl, welcome and well done to you and OH for your efforts over the past 11 weeks. A lot of people seem to experience plateaus that we can’t explain along the way. I did read your post on the other thread but didn’t have time to study it thoroughly (due to a marathon coffee with a friend this morning).

Barata, well done, I loved the way you described your latest achievement. And your OH is suitably impressed to the extent that he’s coming back to the fold.

Thanks for the poem malidog. What kind of dog is she? We have a few losers in Sydney to keep you company; I’m sure they’ll surface over the next few days.

I’m back!!

Welcome to the newbies and the rest of you have been full of chat in my absence – I’ve just spent an hour catching up with everyone’s goings-on.

We had a fabulous 12 days in Melbourne and Sydney: me, hubby and 2 young adult kids. My daughter and I had our Fitbits with us and mine ranged between 14 and 22 thousand steps each day.

Weighed myself this morning and clocked 68kgs – that’s just 0.5 kg more than when we left and I didn’t exactly stint myself while away – basically the only “rule” I made for myself was to eat only when I was hungry. Daughter and I were very good at sharing naughty things rather than having a whole one each. I did have gelato several times in Sydney – I have always loved lemon gelato and now I love lemon/lime as well! I had also promised my son a churro experience which we had in Melbourne – yummy, but not something I’d want to have regularly. Daughter and I found the most divine espresso tarts at a coffee bar in the Westfield mall in the Sydney CBD – oh wow! Thin, thin pastry and a filling to die for, but not hugely sweet. So good that I bought more a couple of days later for us all to have a half for dessert that night.

Home to stress! I broke a front tooth on a biscuit in the Sydney airport yesterday morning, arrived home (after a 5am start in Sydney) at 9.30pm local time, (7.30 Sydney time) to find that the power cut during Dunedin’s Tuesday snow storm blew the power points on our electric range – taking out our big freezer and a small convection oven. Freezer was full of meat and home-grown berry fruits! Still ice in some things so they didn’t smell but I just had to throw the lot because I had no other freezer space to put it in. I see insurance companies in my immediate future!

Also had to cart hubby off to the doctor today as he was really off balance and we weren’t sure if it was to do with the fact that he ran out of Metformin while we were away. Dr thought it might be an inner ear virus until the blood tests came back showing there may be a problem with his heart. More blood tests which we may get the results of tomorrow. But he is feeling better on the anti nausea medication.

But I did have fun unpacking my new clothes which are mostly size 12s – lots of pencil skirts and some super shirts and tops and the most stunning figure-hugging navy dress that I can’t wait to wear to work.

We didn’t fast while away and I miss it. May sneak one in tomorrow – although I do have some black currants and gooseberries to cook up that I have rescued from my poor dead freezer.

Woah – sorry about the diatribe.

Well done, Barata and Hilary, stellar results for you both.

You’ve cracked maintenance. In that you have successfully adapted 5:2 to a real life style. 😆

We had grand kids all week, so am fasting today Saturday. Slept 10 hours last night after delivering kids home to parents. Exhausted 😉 but lots of fun.

Cheers all, Bay 🙂

Hello everyone. I’m in Brisbane I’m 62 and have been 5.2ing since February. I started for two reasons.
    To lose weight and to help overcome a gut issue. I have Hashimotos and have always found diets don’t work for me. Friends have tried the 5.2 so encouraged me to try it. I then developed a gut issue and had constant diarrhoea. After seeing a naturopath / dietitian I am now gluten and lactose free and started the 5.2.
    Since Feb I have lost 8kg. I thought I should have lost more as I’ve been very strict following the new eating plan. But the old thyroid has probably held me back. Still I’m not unhappy as I feel great, I have lost 8kg and the diarrhoea has stopped. I’ve adjusted to gluten free and no longer feel so bloated.
    I have always exercised – mostly walking and cycling but now I’m swimming and feeling so good.
    I would love some advice on how to stay focused. I feel it’s slowing down.
    We’re off to France and Spain in a few weeks and I know it will be hard – not only to do the 5.2 but to find suitable foods both gluten and lactose free. I’m also avoiding sugar. I find one of the side effects of gluten free is that my sweet tooth seems to have disappeared.
    Look forward to some helpful advice from long term 5.2 fasters. I’d like to lose at least another 4,kg. now back to watch the Federer Djokovic tennis.

Good Morning All,

Welcome brisbanefrannie, you’ve come to the right place. 8 kgs since February sounds pretty good. You’re doing well. It is good to find something that will help you get your weight down successfully and also improve your health. The weight loss doesn’t have to go fast. Sometimes it will be quicker than other times. Occasionally it might plateau. It’s what happens long term that is the most important as you learn a new way of eating, a new way of living. It is working for you, that’s the most important thing to focus on, and you will get to your goal weight if you just keep going.

Like you, I have challenges that have made weight loss non- doable till I discovered the 5:2 way of eating. I’m also gluten intolerant and have been in Spain.

Bread is plentiful and at every meal. Didn’t see gluten free bread. Paella is a good bet, very available, and based on rice. Meat and seafood are big parts of the Spanish diet,also dried white beans. Not as much fruit and vegies, but you can order salad which will have lettuce, boiled egg, corn niblets and often a small amount of canned tuna. If you have access to food markets and supermarkets that will help the do – it- yourself food thing, and carry food with you, especially to replace the bread. If you can eat deli meats that will help also as jamon is often on the menu, as is chorizo. Give the 4 pm churros and chocolate a miss. Also the cheese of course. Tapas later in the day will be served with the free inevitable bread, but within the tapas selection, you will often find something you can eat. The Menu del Dias, menu of the day, at lunch, will have 3 courses, often soup first, and dessert is often flan. Flan is what we call creme brulee- ish. Sometimes you will get chicken or meat and seafood in the same dish, just a different way of doing it. Breakfasts can be buffets, which will also help. If the sweet tooth gets you or you just need calories,there is a national sweet which is whipped honey and egg whites with almonds in it, and has rice paper sheets on either side, a bit like a sheet of nut brittle, but white. Can’t remember the name. Spanish almonds are plentiful, different shape, but yummy. Galician stew is also good. It’s a clear soupand has white beans, curred meat, and a dark green leaf vegetable like a cabbage and will come with a bun or bread. If you don’t speak Spanish take a card with a printed message saying for medical reasons you cannot eat wheat or milk products. Often you will be given a small amount of something free to eat while you are waiting for your meal. This varies a lot. If I think of anything else, I’ll get back to you.
    Cheers,
    Lucy

Monday check in. Last week I went down 200 gm after 1 st FD and 300 gms after the 2nd one, but this morning my weekly result is only 200 gms less than last Monday. I did pig out a bit on Saturday night so it’s no wonder a bit went back on, but I figure these are very small amounts in the big scheme of things. I’m happy with my small loss on my weekly record. It’s going down.

Happy Fast Day to everyone,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Cheers
    Merry

Frannie, Tortilla de Patatas, i.e. Spanish potato omellette has no milk or gluten and is delicious.

Hi Merry
    Remember 1 glass of water or 1 cup of tea/coffee adds 250gms to your weight, so don’t sweat the small stuff 🙂 Longterm trends towards your goal weight is what you need to see. Sounds like you ARE doing that. Go for it! P

Thanks Purple! I graph my Monday morning, naked after wake up etc on Mondays and it’s going slowly down again. Just glad to get off the plateau.

Frannie – that white almond brittle stuff is called Turron. It’s hard, and I did occasionally have it to bulk up calories on a couple of occasions after ordering salad, which is less a meal than ours are.

Merry

Hi everyone and happy FD to my fellow Monday Fasters. How’s everyone coping in the cold? I think everyone, everywhere is getting it! I’ve currently got a fan heater blasting the back of my office chair while i work. Trying to combat the ‘always cold on a fast day’ issue.

Can’t really weigh in on the conversation re: weight change as I STILL haven’t bought some new scales since the old ones died! I am hoping I will be pleasantly surprised with a new low after 3 weeks of no weigh ins but I feel I have plateaued so we’ll see.

Well done to those of you who have hit a new PB! And you too Thin, 62.1 is certainly nothing to be dissappointed about, is it! I am hoping to see 63 point ANYTHING!! 😉

Welcome to our newies too, always nice to have new people join us here. You’ll find you will gain so much knowledge and support here so please, stick around. Bettsygirl, where abouts in Melbourne are you? I’m in Sandringham. Malidog, your start weight is the same as mine and your goal is too! Good luck 🙂 Frannie, enjoy Spain! It is my fave country, I hope you manage to stay well while there and don;t have to miss out on too much of their lovely food. If you’re going to Barcelona, check out the food markets. Loads of lovely fresh fruit and veg and other goodies and it is a must do tourist spot.

Inlaws are here with us this week, they’re going to experience a FD dinner tonight! Prawn stirfry with sweet chilli sauce and slendier noodles. Have a good evening everyone. MK88

Hello from Tamworth, NSW, to all Southern Hemispherites, I have just signed up for this fast diet. Lets see how this goes. I have tried so many things, inparticular the whole “myfitnesspal” logging and trying to stick to 15-1700cals per day day in day out, without much luck. Mainly because I lack food inspiration, especially quick easy and health dinners to cook for a family when I crawl out of bed after night shift, and as I prepare to go back to work again for another 10 hours (all the nurses in here will appreciate what I am saying). Looking forward to losing every gram… Hopefully as questions arise, someone will have some wisdom for me…starting just under 150 aiming for under 100 as a final destination, but my first real goal is under 135 for the 21st October, my 20th wedding anniversary

Welcome, Bella. Are you talking pounds or kilograms? You will have lots of support and answers here, just fire away. I don’t know how you nurses cope with the long hours and shift work.

Hi. Thanks Merryme and all the people posting good suggestions. The ideas for Spain were really good I’ve been before but not when I was following gluten free and fasting! Will be quite different but achievable.
    I’m so pleased with how I’m feeling that alone should keep me going. Thanks again.

Thanks for the welcome Barata, I wish it was pounds, no totally KGs… so it is a LONG and hard journey.

Both hubby and I are nurses, so its not just one lot of crazy long shifts, but two… lol… but we love the job….

Hi BF and fabulous losers. One of the things that can challenge me is seeing lovely food in the fridge waiting for NFDs and having that I want it now moment. One of the things – actually there are two – phrases that I use to see me over that hump are : fasting is the voluntary abstince from food (Jason Fung); and you can have it tomorrow (Michael Mosley). So, it’s my choice and it’s not every day- that’s the magic in this.
    As you read around this topic bellajass you will find that the science says you won’t lose weight with persistent low calories day in day out because you can’t live forever like that (at least if you’re like most people) and when you eat just a bit more you find your metabolism has slowed down so much and you put the weight back on. Yes, we’ve all been there! Sometimes we forget that 5:2 means intermittent fasting and this is the key. Your body doesn’t adjust to low calories because you mix it up and have a normal calorie intake on other days. You don’t get resistant to losing weight.
    I had read that after a longer fast when you eat again your weight may go up again a little but I was really excited to see that after my longer fast where I lost some kilos when I weighed this morning after normal calories Friday to Sunday night I’d lost another 200g! Such a happy discovery for a woman who’d plateaued for 2 months. Am going for another HCFD period this week ( hard core fast days). Today people at work actually said wow you’ve lost weight, so I must have crossed a border. Once again tucked up in a warm bed after dog walk and bowl of bone broth. Antarctic vortex eh? Stop it now! Cheerio.

Well this forum is just overflowing. Welcome to all our new fasters. So much information and support, it’s just wonderful.

Have been busy lately with one thing or another. Only a week before my daughter and little ones arrive from the UK, getting a little excited.

FD today and a new PB 76.7. What a WOL I still can’t believe how this works.

I have a friend who has type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I would like to recommend this WOL but would like some feedback from those who are in the same boat and following this WOL. I know there are health benefits but not sure about the diabetes side.

Woo hoo Intesha!! Congrats on the new PB!

Hi and welcome Bella 🙂 You’ll be glad you stumbled across this forum and this WOL (way of life) there are some fantastic success stories amongst us!

Good luck with your HCFD’s this week Freya, I don’t know how you do it!

I’m off to Brisbane tomorrow to go wedding dress shopping with my sister 🙂 I am having a 6:1 week this week as there was no other day I could sub todays FD with. Out for a family dinner tonight to farewell the in- laws at a local Italian joint so I am just going to accept it for the carb blow out it will likely be! Nice to think I can re-set next week when I am back to my normal FD’s.

Have a happy week and weekend Shite’s! I’ll be back next week 🙂 MK88

Hi All. Freezing cold here in Perth, but not as bad as in the east. At least its sunny here. Hope you’re all staying warm and toasty. Sorry about being AWOL but have been having computer issues. Hopefully they’re all fixed now…..but once more and it’s going out the window!

Hi to our newbies mali, betsy, frannie and bella. We’re all here to help you. If I have ONE piece of advice, it’s to please stay on the forum. The support that you will get here will keep you going through the tough times or when you reach a plateau. It also keeps you accountable to someone other than yourself!! There is a wealth of knowledge here with these guys, and all the tips and tricks to help you reach your goals. This Way of Life/Way of Eating (WOL / WOE) truly works, when nothing has worked before. We’re all here as proof of that. Good luck and stick with it.

Welcome back Hilary, glad you enjoyed the trip. Hope OH is OK. Must be worrying.

CharlieG – Sorry to hear about the probs with your Mum. It’s tough isn’t it? Don’t forget to take care of yourself too. Glad your back is mending and you can ditch some of those meds.

Everyone else seems to be going well….. Barata & Intesha, very impressive girls! You must be thrilled. Intesha, I think Mr P is diabetic and is off his meds now, after some time on 5:2. I’m sure Purple will let you know.

Enjoy beautiful Brissie, MK, and enjoy your sister-time and the shopping. Don’t worry we’ll be here when you get back.

Freya, glad you and your bone broth and doing well! I bet the beautiful Merlin is keeping you warm.

Well I’m definitely in a plateau, but one of my own making I’m afraid. Had a couple of meals out this week which has played havoc …..wedding anniversary and unavoidable things like that. I decided that I wasn’t going to deny myself because we don’t do it very often – and the food was incredible. Anyway, back at it today. Having a full fast day today to try and undo some of the damage. Having people around for dinner tomorrow night too. The stars are aligning to weaken me!! But I’ll be strong, cos I know this works. Getting organised so that the food we eat will suit me too….and they’ll never know the difference!!!

Have a wonderful day as you wonderful losers! CM xx

Good luck with your FD, CM. OH has been given this week off work with a chest infection – he works outside and we have had a couple of severe frosts so it was a good call on the part of the doctor.

Lol MK88 – I nearly fell off my chair when you called us Shite’s!

I’ve done two FDs since coming home from holiday and today clocked in at 66.5 kgs – a new PB, 14 kgs down and just 3.5 kgs to my second (and final) goal. I’m certainly anticipating that it may take a few months to lose the 3.5. But as long as there is a drop each week, I don’t care how much.

On Monday one of my colleagues (who works on a different floor) took one look at me and said “What in heaven’s name have you been doing??” We had quite a chat, and then she came back to me on Wednesday for more information – that makes 4 others from this workplace that have joined me or are seriously thinking of it. Even my male boss sashayed into my office a few weeks ago and said: “So, new wardrobe is it?” and proceeded to have quite a conversation with me about my weight loss.

It is certainly gratifying to meet up with people I haven’t seen for a while. Who else has had similar experiences?

That’s fab Hillary. Feels great when you get to a PB. Also great when others notice the changes. Makes all the determination worthwhile…..apart from how good we feel being lighter & trimmer. Yes my full FD went well & was much easier than expected & I felt much better this morning too. Still trying to get back to pre-holiday weight but not far off now. So at 64.4, I’m 4.4 off goal. I just need to knuckle down without any distractions or meals out & I’ll make it! Might try more if these FFD.

So how’s everyone else doing this weigh-in Friday?? Come on now don’t be shy!!!

Have a great day & a wonderful weekend. CM xx

Hi Hillary,
    Yes I have had similar comments from people that have not seen me for a while, and doesn’t it feel really good.
    Sorry CM, have to admit to no loss for the week, but no gain either which is great considering no fasts for the week. Monday I gave up after a headache brought on by finding one of our show winning cows dead in the paddock. She was only four years old, and leaves a young bull calf as an orphan, I have no idea what killed her.
    By Wednesday I had come down with a rotten cold, at least I am coming good now, so I am looking forward to next Monday’s fast.
    Have a great weekend everyone, Charlie. 🙂

Oh Charlie, what rotten luck about your cow! Is your vet investigating?
    As you say, no gain is still on the right side of the ledger.
    Hope your cold is all better soon. My daughter has just gone to bed saying “Take Vitamin C – I’m sick”. So I have, and added in a zinc tablet for good measure.

Hi Charlie

So sorry to hear about the prize winning cow. The rotten head cold is going around Oz. take care and look after yourself.

Bay 🙂

Hello, I am a Northern Rivers girl! Started today with a fast say. Was good!!!

Oh no Charlie G. So sorry to hear about your prize-winning cow. How old was her baby and do you have to bottle feed now? Hope your cold is on the improve….I think 5:2 makes a difference to recovery times. No weight gain is a win in my book! Take care and stay warm.

Hi Missy. Welcome and congratulations on making a start. All the wonderful losers on here are a fountain of knowledge on all things 5:2 (& other totally unrelated stuff a well – farm animals, wine, dogs, dolphins & bone broth!!). We’re here for you anytime you need questions answered or some support. Stick with this – it really does work!

Have a wonderful Sunday everybody and a great FD tomorrow…..CM xx

Hello all

I’m new (from Perth) – just started and completed one fast day. Looking forward to the posts.

Hi Jennie. Welcome. Yay another Perthite! Hope it goes well for you. We meet regularly for coffee, so if you’re interested we’d love you to join us one day soon. Stay tuned we post when/where. Good luck! CM xx

Hello everyone
    I’ve been AWOL with what I’ve learned as the “real flu”. My whole body has been wracked with pain and I’ve not been able to lie flat until I started taking strong pain killers. it’s not over yet but after a good nights sleep I feel much better this morning. My sister has been my personal shopper and link to chemist advice and, very importantly, dog walker! I think Merlin doesn’t know what’s hit him! She’s really fit, now especially as she’s just come home from walking a leg of the camino de Santiago in France. They’ve walked long and fast. Soon enough he will come back from Ferrari to Holden! Quite a few of her many photos are of the Aubrac cows – Charlie G I felt so sorry for you because you must have loved that dear cow.
    Intesha I have T2D but don’t take insulin and have found 5:2 very doable. If your friend uses insulin then they may need to take a lower dose on FDs. For comprehensive info read Jason Fung. He cures people of diabetes with intensive fasting. I completely lost my appetite, in fact felt nauseous, in the first four days of the flu so found myself on a long fast of four days. There was a bit of bone broth in there and lots of water because the medication made me very thirsty. I lost 4.6 kgs!! I did eventually feel pretty hungry, which I felt quite pleased about. Had my first coffee for a week this morning. Coming back to normal. I’m probably in what they used to call convalescence. That concept seems to have gone out of fashion but I think it’s a valid part of the recovery cycle. I think my idea of it comes from Enid Blyton stories where the patient got to lie on a lounge in the garden in the sunshine! That’s of course when they weren’t out in the Cornish countryside catching baddies! Here’s to FDs and cows. X

Hi out there, I’m just starting the 5:2 diet. My doctor calls me a “fit fatty” so I’m more motivated by the health benefits than losing weight in itself, although I am obese. This means that I don’t just want to get to a goal weight but to maintain healthy blood readings for the rest of my life. I’m wondering whether any of you have managed to sustain the diet longer term?

Good morning Magsta and welcome to you and other newbies. Not sure on your definition of ‘longer-term’ but I’ve been a 5:2 adherent since August last year and when I joined this forum at that time, there were contributors who’d already been going for a year or so who are still posting now (PVE, bayleafoz, NickyF, CharlieG, IHAW are some of the losers who inspired me when I started). We don’t know everything but we’re all here to share our experiences and help & support each other. Ask us anything. You can right click on a name and read the profile which sometimes indicates when a poster began their 5:2 journey. I encourage newbies to post a profile & share as much info as you feel comfortable with (makes it easier to keep track of where people are located and because we’re quite nosey).

We’ve had a great week in Albany. OH and I went on some long & beautiful coastal walks every day, saw three whales off-shore and managed to keep the weight in the 62s (fasted on the drive down and one day while there, easy peasy with minimal planning). Teen worked on a large-scale free range pig farm down there all week, very hard physical work but she loved every minute and learned how to artificially inseminate sows, vaccinate pigs and wean piglets. Spent a full day doing each of those tasks under the supervision of three vets who happened to be working there. Up at 5am every day so lots of gorgeous sunsets.

I’ve finally caught up with reading the posts. I won’t reply to everything but well done everyone who’s seen a new PB, great job Intesha, very happy for you. CharlieG, poor you and the cow. You really are having a tough time and I wish you all the best. MK88, hope you and your sister are enjoying your time together. JennieC, let us know in which part of Perth you’re located as we’d love you to join us for coffee (CM, me and Freya). Freya, the weight is falling off you. Hope you feel well again very soon. Hi CM, Merry et al.

Forgot to mention Hilary, we went to a 50th birthday dress-up party before we went away. There were people there that we hadn’t seen for a couple of years. Because I was wearing a dress-up wig, gogo boots, mini dress and was 21kgs lighter, several people didn’t recognise me at all. They were literally gobsmacked when I started talking and, of course, 5:2 was discussed extensively (when we weren’t dancing).

Viewing 50 posts - 5,651 through 5,700 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.