Happy Xmas December 2023 Challenge

This topic contains 235 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Maui 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 236 total)

• Day 12 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Hi all, still bobbing … typical post weekend state but feeling trim. I will break the back of this in January as travel plans and chrimbo will undoubtedly throw a few spanners 🔧 in the works.
    Travelling to Wales this weekend for annual Christmas party with friends there… lots of nights out and and a big party at my friends house where there will be some tradional music played by friends so a hoolie 🎻 💃🏻 I am so looking forward to seeing them. It means I miss the big 🎄function with work at one of the best hotels here but in line with the “spend time with those you love” thoughts this will be my big 🎄 bash. I really like my colleagues and they are great craic but… I love my friends.💕
    There will be some hikes and outdoor fun too.

@daffodil2010 I’ve been there recently and your low is still your low…go easy on yourself… this time will pass but just try keep pushing through… it will get easier. This WOL (i.e. good food choices)…and exercise are key for me. 💕

Ok gotta scoot… busy day.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others

Day 12, London, UK, FD,

Feeling positive today despite the bathroom scale talking complete & utter nonsense to me this morning!!!😡😡

It’s going to be a strange FD today, soup for lunch, but I forgot to raid the freezer for dinner, so I’ll have to be creative, perhaps with a couple eggs, but I honestly can’t remember buying them, I WILL check for freshness before I eat them!!🤮🤮

@funshipfreddie, good luck for tomorrow’s performance, are you going the whole hog? Stetson? Boots? shoestring tie? …………………….. Leather chaps? Or is that something else entirely??!😉😉
    Enjoyed the article about Oprah, the struggle is real!!! One thing I wanted to shout at her about was when she said, she’s not a mechanic, but one thing she knows is that an engine needs fuel………………. i.e. breakfast!! Urgh, I’m proudly ZBC and I’m 100% confident my left thigh alone has enough fuel to get me through the week, never mind today!!!

@daffodil2010, as Yazz said ……………….. ‘The only way is up!!!’🤣🤣 Has the grounding helped any? This time of year is pants anyway without the stresses of a work environment in turmoil. I came in to work a few weeks back to find someone had swapped my keyboard; not to be overly dramatic, but ……………………….. My day was ruined, RUINED I tell you!!!🤣🤣 Stay strong, daffodils bend in the wind but they don’t break!!!

Must dash, my watch is buzzing for me to do 250 steps, today I decided NOT to just ignore it!!

Keep the faith folks, stay strong, stay hungry …………………… it WILL pass!!!

“Success is the sum of small efforts — repeated day in and day out.”
    —Robert Collier

Pocket List – Day 12
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby

Day 12 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. Egads, a few junk carbs wreck havoc on me! Got to learn to stop that. Maybe I’ll try chewing gum while watching TV. Hmmm…

Anyway, today’s my last FD of the week. Maybe my body will munch off all the stored carbs from last night.

Pocket List – Day 12
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby
    @northgeorgia

Day 12 USA/Hawai’i FD800

Pocket List – Day 12
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby
    @northgeorgia
    @maui

Oh, I wish I had my laptop! I have lots of responses to things said (laughter at something @flourbaby said, sadness for @daffodil2010, more) but my phone is not the tool to use as yesterday showed.

Good news is that, despite going out for a glorious birthday meal with our sons last night, complete with a cocktail (blackberry coconut mojito) and a glass of wine, I’m down 1.4 lbs from yesterday morning because I was basically OMAD yesterday, and my food choices were stellar despite feeling indulgent (salmon, shrimp, scallops, grilled asparagus, steamed baby potatoes).

And now the birthday stuff is truly over, lol, and I can do a WF today.

Have a grand one, everyone!

2nd Post – Day 12

Pocket List – Day 12 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby
    @northgeorgia
    @maui – FD800
    @stitchincarol – WFD

Day 13 NZ NFD 79.9kg…

@funshipfreddie and @flourbaby I read the Oprah article. The scary thing is with all that support around her – personal trainer and chef, psychology etc she still manages to bounce back up after she gets to where she wants to on the weight front… How do you handle stress and maintenance at the same time?
    I’m feeling rather hungry this morning even after muesli and strawberries and could eat a whole lot more but will distract myself until I get the post 20 min feel full factor coming through. I didn’t eat with balance y’day – far too much bread and cheese x 3 meals because I was rushing to get to the dentist and 4pm drinks… I have the lovely Chinese party coming up this afternoon.
    @stitchincarol That is an absolutely favourite menu for me! So glad you had a lovely birthday!
    @flourbaby Yeees! Keep up the positivity, do the mahi (work) and it will happen 😘
    @northgeorgia It’s a mindset. You sounded so proud of yourself when you turned down offers of food a few posts back.💪💪
    @daffodil2010 Sending you 💪and 🧡 (the opposite colour of💙).
    @jaifaim Have a wonderful party in Wales. Such fun!!
    @maui I went to Christmas drinks at our main Polynesian art gallery y’day and thought of you. The primary gallery is in Rarotonga and they have one here. I hope you and your artists will be able to have a lovely Christmas get-together.

Onward and downward or at least sideways!

Day 13 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.2 kg ✨

A mini-whoosh! Half a kilo down from Monday morning 💪

@flourbaby – no stetsons, boots or…leather chaps?! 😱 Maybe next year. We’re just going to wear jeans with white T-shirts/shirts, & I heard something about scarves someone is making; not sure about that. I mean, scarves in summer – I don’t get it. Maybe they’re those western style ones cowboys wear.. As for that Oprah article – I thought exactly the same about the fuel/energy analogy. But, I can’t imagine Oprah swerving breakfast, or doing any kind of IF really 😅

@merryapple – I remember Oprah’s personal trainer appearing on the show with her in the ’90’s. Bob Harper? There was a book – Make the Connection – and certain ‘heart-health’ foods were promoted like crazy on the show. Looking back, it wasn’t always great advice. Cheerios, for one! I miscalculated the other day. I think you only need to get to 75.5 kg to get to a BMI of 24.9 🎯 Stress is a funny thing; the last thing I feel like doing is eating if I’m stressed out.

Nearly show-time 🕺 Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Day 13 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

@funshipfreddie a bandana is what you will wear I’d say 😃 I have those, motorbike chaps, cowboy boots and a 🤠 hat… god I think I need a clear out here 😂😂 Past lives … have a blast today! 🤠🕺🤠
    And Well done on whooshing!

Lovely post @flourbaby! Great to feel your positivity… we all need to catch it and pass it on – these are the toughest days for many. 🎄💪🎄

Bravo @stitchincarol – the mojito caught my eye! I love a blackberry mojito but adding coconut- that’s one I would have to try 🍹

@merryapple I hope the Chinese meal was great! It sounds very fancy! You have busy busy days these days 🎊😃

Out for some drinks last night but stuck with tonic masquerading as G&T and avoided snacks 🍹- felt good!
    Office 🎄lunch for all staff today but also a FD for me so a little challenge as they go all out for this day…

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Pocket List Day 13 🤠 Yeehaw!
    @jaifaim

Day 13 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

First FD in ages yesterday, good to have you all with me on that list. Down a pound and feeling slightly better too. Good nights sleep, first night ever using an electric blanket (I am 56, how did I miss these things?…)and now planning another good day.

Although I have always been a breakfast girl, I will wait until late morning or lunchtime before I break the fast. Another salad at lunch and not sure about dinner but possibly a homemade chilli

@flourbaby, thanks for the encouragement and I love that line, that a daffodil bends in the wind but does not break……sweet ☺️ Thanks.
    @jaifaim, yes, I will do poca a poca….good luck today at the office lunch.

Good to be back and catching up on your lives. Take care all xxxxx

Day 13, London, UK, NFD

Lesson to self ……………………. Prepare dinner in advance, especially on a FD!! I got home at 6:45 last night with that gnawing hunger I enjoy on a FD but need to satisfy ASAP at dinner time so I can close the kitchen! Anyway, long story short, the thought of shredding cauliflower & chopping veg for a ‘quick’ fried rice at 7pm held ZERO appeal as I tried to silence the dragon. BUT …………………… I did it!!💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼 I could easily have chucked a couple of slices of sourdough in the toaster and layered on some lovely cheese, but it WAS a FD, so I discovered some (usually elusive) willpower and settled for a 7:30pm FD tuna/cauliflower rice dinner!!! My halo is polished to perfection!!😇😇

The scales rewarded me this morning, but after yesterday’s ridiculous number, I’m viewing any numbers with disdain and focussing on how I feel. Currently I’m chuffed to bits with getting back on the wagon and actually staying ON it, rather than the useless dipping in & out which wasn’t fooling anyone!!

@funshipfreddie, well done on the whoosh!!🥳🥳 I hope the residents enjoyed the performance, I can imagine you all with your matching neckerchiefs stepping with thumbs tucked into pockets!🤠🤠 I hope it went well!!

@daffodil2010, baby steps!!! I dare not get an electric blanket, I might never leave the bed😁 if I could take my duvet to work I would😍😍!!!

@jaifaim, after swerving the gin and avoiding the snacks 💪🏼💪🏼 the Xmas lunch will be a breeze!!

@merryapple, ALL details from the party please – We need descriptions of the food, clothes, decor……………… everything!!! It sounds like it will be fab, so I’m living vicariously until I find a rich friend too!!!

Back to work, I’m combining that 250 step reminder with guzzling water…………………… I need a whoosh too!!!

“You can find inspiration from others, but determination is solely your responsibility”

Day 13 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Congrats to @funshipfreddie on the mini-whoosh!

No more FDs planned this week, so between my fa la la’ing, I’ll need to be careful what I stuff into my mouth! 🙂

Day 13 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 160.0

YAY! I have my laptop back!!! 😂 What’s more, it’s much better behaved, faster than it has been. Turns out my hard-drive is seriously crowded, so as soon as I get past the busyness of today and tomorrow, I’ll spend some time moving things to an external HD, but in the meantime, I’m able to do the things I need to do without so much delay. Plus, I decided to indulge myself and bought a Rolls Royce of laptops, and will pass this one on to DH, who is far more patient with slower devices–I mean, truly, he is, and doesn’t understand my impatience. 😂😂😂 It first has to be built, so I won’t have it until January, but I’m sure looking forward to it!

Yesterday’s WF wasn’t. I was exhausted from all the errands I ran, and the church service I played in the morning, and the lessons I taught during the day, and the groceries I bought at the end of the day, so I decided to allow myself about 300 calories when I got home. And then I ate more. And then even more. Sadly, it was more like somewhere between 800 and 1200 calories, so the only good thing about my decision and choices was that I was below 1500, but it was not the lovely change I was wanting on the scale this morning. Oh well, Thursday’s my next opportunity.

@funshipfreddie Oh, I envy you. When I’m stressed, I eat everything in sight and then look for more to eat, all with the hope that the food with soothe me. Hence, my eating yesterday, as this week, while great fun, is so busy as to be highly stressful.

@jaifaim The coconut made me stop and wonder also, but I decided to be brave, and it was a barely discernable taste. It was actually very tart, which suited me just fine as I do NOT like sweet drinks.

@daffodil2010 Well done on your successful FD, and DH and I are all about electric blankets. We don’t necessarily leave it on all night (only when it’s far below freezing outside, and usually either off or on the lowest setting), but it’s a marvelous way to warm up the bed before you even get in it! So glad you slept so well last night.

@flourbaby you are a serious inspiration! WELL done on sticking to your food plan!!!! I can see the halo glowing from here in Nebraska, and was wondering what that light in the east was!

Today is a particularly busy day with things to accomplish, and tomorrow is as well, with things to indulge me. Tonight, our usual Midweek Advent service starts two hours earlier than usual and is focused on children, with plans to make a Graham-Cracker Manger scene (think gingerbread house and you’ll get the idea), and a provided supper of Hamburger Vegetable Barley soup (I’m making a triple batch, enough to feed 40) and hotdogs. I’ve been buying candy like a crazy woman–it’s been rather fun!🥰–and today I cook and set up and two other gals help me divide all the candy decorations so each kid can simply take a plate of decorations and a cardboard base on which to do the manger. We did this last year as well, and it was a huge hit.

Tomorrow is the reward, as I get my toes done and my hair trimmed. And someday, I’ll get the rest of the ornaments on our main, big tree, LOL!

Day 14 FD 80.2kg NZ

As expected…! Had a gorgeous evening at my friend’s house with more friends playing jazz – Nathan Haines on tenor sax, father Kevin Haines on double base and Kevin Feild on the baby black Steinway. You may have heard of him – Nathan played in the London clubs and gained quite a reputation for bringing together clubby music and jazz. He returned home with a cancerous tumour that had grown from his neck onto his vocal chords. A combination of location and treatment were nearly a complete disaster but he survived and after many ops and rehab now speaks in a very quiet whispery voice…
    There was too much delicious wine and Chinese finger food… little wrapped morsels and dipping sauces. @jaifaim The wine was far too good to be on tonic sadly!
    I have a day at home thank goodness to finish tidying up, get out some modest Xmas decorations and finish wrapping presents.
    @funshipfreddie Well done on the wee woosh! Thanks for the calculation. I like thinking in blocks of 5 kg – imagine 5 x 1kg blocks of cheese (I might actually have a waist!) so that’s a perfect 🎯 to aim for next! It doesn’t sound much but given I’m on the 1kg/month regime, it will take me till next May. Cheerios for heart health??? They’re like eating sweetened cardboard…
    @daffodil2010 Great to hear you’re back in and having success! I had an old electric blanket which if you went to sleep before turning it off, cooked both of you. It took me ages to get around to buying a modern one and realise how nice they are!
    @flourbaby Perfect! There you go! @stitchincarol said it all.
    I haven’t got into the exercise thing yet. My friend has an Ouraring.com that measures everything via a ring on your finger and a phone ap. It’s amazing!
    I’m doing it the old fashioned way and going to put the Bee Gees on to help with my big tidy!
    @stitchincarol It’s a scary thought you having a super computer – you’ll be able to write twice as much in half the time 🤣🤣🤣 Just be kind to yourself. It’s a super busy time of year for anyone in the church
    RESOLVE to everyone!

Thursday’s Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 13 USA/Hawai’i NFD
    Late here but still want to sign in so I don’t miss a day. My goal was to post everyday and get back into the 150’s.
    Took some art to the framer this morning that will go to my son’s apartment in Honolulu then had lunch with an artist friend. Happy day overall.
    Really did not count calories today but I think I did ok. Trying to stay up to about 9:30 or 10 and hoping I can sleep through the night ti about 5:30. Have been getting out for light on my face at sunrise and sunset to help with sleep.
    Admire everyone’s dedication in posting and following this WOL.

Day 14 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

@funshipfreddie how was the show? 🤠

@daffodil2010 great to see you yesterday… I don’t use an electric blanket but mum does and always has… hope you had another great sleep with yours.
    @stitchincarol so interesting to hear you leave yours on from time to time… It used to be a worry with mum that she would switch it on during the night and leave it on – but she is past that stage now and wouldn’t know /could’nt switch the switch so that is actually good for our peace of mind. How could we tell you had your laptop back without you telling us – 😂 great chatty post 🗒️. I struggle on on the phone 📱😓

@flourbaby you are on the descent – well done to you!

@maui I am so glad you had a happy day 💕 we have very little light here right now but it will begin to change soon thankfully. 🌅
    Well done on posting… ⭐️

@merryapple Wow What a party!! The food sounds scrumptious and the music 🤩 I think Nathan Haines was in London in the late 90s when I was enjoying the Paris jazz scene… I remember the name for sure ftom back in the day but must look his music up and have a listen 🎷. The poor thing to have gone through such a horrible time but so great he is still performing on the beautiful sax.💕
    What a treat for you 🤩

I spent my evening wrapping 🎁 so most of that is done now… oh I have an 🍏 Watch which tracks my exercise but quite fancy an oura ring – so subtle.

Ok off out for a walk before work 🚶🏽‍♀️

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 14 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@jaifaim – It was great! The scarves were actually bandannas, yes. Or neckerchiefs, as @flourbaby calls them. That’s what we wore. Silk, in pink?! Bright, shocking, in-your-face pink! I think that’s the first time I’ve ever in my life worn anything pink. But anyway, the show went well & we had fun. The care-workers enjoyed it. I suspect the residents had been sedated, or it was nap-time, because I’m sure at least two of them were asleep by the time we’d finished 💤 Lunch was great. We went to an Italian place called Bem Vindo (welcome). They serve breakfast til noon, so I think most of us had Eggs Benedict, or something similar. Our line-dancing teacher, who has the patience of a saint, awarded each of us a miniature glitter-ball. Mine was the ‘Ballroom Blitz Trophy’ 😅 I think the huge slice of Red Velvet Cake I had will cancel out yesterday’s whoosh, although it wasn’t nearly as nice as it looked, & I only managed to eat half of it.

@daffodil2010 – congrats on getting through your first FD in ages 💪 Sometimes I still dread them, yet they’re never as tough as I imagine they will be.

@flourbaby – oh, well done you! 👏 It’s such a pity to throw in the towel at dinnertime, when you’ve survived the whole day. I can’t say I’ve ever enjoyed the gnawing hunger; but for me, the quickest way to calm the dragon is to munch on raw carrot. Not the most exciting veggie, but it takes a lot of chewing and is surprisingly filling, despite having only about 40 cals in 100 g. Then while I’m eating that I can prepare something more substantial but in line with a fast day 🥕

@merryapple – sounds like a wonderful evening. Although, I wouldn’t have enjoyed the jazz music. It’s probably almost sacrilegious to say that to a jazz lover. People seem to either love it or hate it. Like cricket. Or asparagus 😅 I wonder why that is..? 🙉

@stitchincarol – when I was drinking I think I just drank more if I was stressed out about something. But food just doesn’t do it for me. Although now that I’m retired I really can’t claim to have much to get stressed about. I do have a dentist appointment later today though 😳

RESOLVE to the Thursday fasters! 🎯

@funshipfreddie 😂😂🤠🤠 👏👏

Day 14, London, UK, NFD

The silly season has commenced!!! The office is full of huge tins of chocolate and biscuits, we’re supporting a colleague tonight in a panto but we’ll have a Thai meal beforehand, tomorrow I’ve been roped into a meal with clients (token lady to keep them from misbehaving!) then on Saturday I’m out for a pre-Xmas meal with my friends!! Sunday FD, here I come!!!

@funshipfreddie, they weren’t sleeping, just resting their eyes as my dad was fond of saying!! It sounds like you had a fab time with the group. Now I have a bit more me time, I need to find a similar group to join so the hermit tendency doesn’t take over!! Great advice about the carrot, I’ll try that, but with cucumber, next time.

@merryapple, the party sounds fabulously glamorous!! We go to so few house parties these days, nobody wants red wine spilt on the sofa or shoes on their carpet!!! It’s all meeting for meals out or drinks at a bar or the pub. When I was young my mum & dad hosted and went to lots of house parties, I remember my mum preparing lovely nibbles (no private chef!!) getting glammed up and their bed piled high with coats as all the kids played together upstairs whilst our parents danced the night away downstairs!!❤❤

@maui, isn’t it lovely to just have a happy day! No such luck with boosting serotonin with sunrise or sunset here, the weather is dismal, I can’t tell if the sun is up or down due to the grey cloud cover!!! On Monday the office lights were on at midday as outside looked like night………………….. then the apocalyptic downpour arrived!!! 🌧☔

@stitchincarol, Hoorah for the laptops return!! …………………. What kind of evil genius🤓🤓 style supercomputer are you getting that it needs to be built???😱😱

Stay strong everyone, I’m trying to maintain the mojo!!!💪🏼💪🏼

“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” — Winston Churchill

Day 14 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. FD500s never allow me to lose as much “weight” as WFDs, but the NFD afterwards is always kinder. Yesterday was more of a 16:8 day, but tons of food from our multi-cultural celebration last night. Still, only a one pound gain from all of that is awesome. It would be great to stay under 228 through Sunday — we will see! I have some social breakfast and lunch events today, but they are light.

Day 14 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD – 161.8

Yesterday went very well with all my things to do, I hit 15K steps, and I imagine the culprit that’s popped me up so high on the scale is that last piece of birthday cake I had last night when I got home from everything, because other than that, I ate “reasonably” yesterday.

@merryapple Your evening sounds DIVINE.

@maui Well done, to follow your commitment to post every day. Your comment about getting out at sunrise and sunset to get light on your face makes me think of “Grounding,” a big topic of conversation and learning on this forum several years ago. Have you heard of it? The basic idea is that you stand on the ground (grass is fine, but not, say, cement) in your bare feet and it does healthy things for your body to do so. You should Google it.

@jaifaim and others It’s so odd to me that you’re worried about the electric blanket being on all night. I suppose old ones were perhaps dangerous, but newer ones? Nah. In fact, on WFDs night (so, tonight), because I’m so very cold, I’ll go to bed and leave it on high the entire night just because I need the help to be warm. And, yeah, the length of my post is a clear indication of what technology I’m using, isn’t it?

@funshipfreddie 😲😲😂😂🥰💪 Do I remember correctly you and @daffodil2010 both are apprehensive about the dentist? So glad your performance went so wonderfully yesterday!

@flourbaby The computer service store I go to has what they call their Holiday Special every year, and since this is their 25th year in business, it’s an extra special thing. It’s $1600 and that is at cost (long story why, but it works well for them). It comes with 2TB of solid state hard drive, and you can pay extra to have 4TB instead, just as the first example of over-the-top marvelous, LOL. The store buys the parts and builds the laptops and desktops and there are a limited number available each year. This past Sunday, there were 50 remaining (of 500) and on Tuesday morning there were 15; by Tuesday afternoon, there were 7. I told the guy I had no time to deal with it before Christmas, and then I’d be out of town for 10 days, so they could put me on the bottom of the list and I’d pick it up on January 4. 😇 This is something I’ve wanted to buy for well over a dozen years, but never felt I could justify/afford, and I’m looking forward to a fast machine not slowed down by too full a hard drive!

Well, I should get up and get at it. Have a grand one, everyone!

Wow, no other Thursday fasters, eh? Well, I promise you all I will STICK TO IT this time!

Pocket List Day 14 🎄
    @stitchincarol WFD

2nd Post – Day 14

@stitchincarol – You are not alone on the list..

Pocket List Day 14 🎄
    @merry🍎
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 14 USA/Maui NFD
    @stitchincarol I appreciate the reminder about grounding. I will make sure I take off my beach sandals and stand in the sand at sunrise and sunset. I am hoping to start sleeping through the night. I realize it’s actually been 19 years of caregiving and many of those years keeping watch over DH while in mental health episode that was most dangerous at night. Maybe I need to teach myself that now it’s actually ok to sleep soundly. I did put my phone in the bathroom last night so would not pick it up every time I woke up. I am having Alexia play meditation music if I wake up.
    Ok off I go to put these toes in the sand!
    All the best to everyone … each having many unique challenges and many we all share. So thankful to be a part of this great team.

Day 15 NZ NFD 79.6kg

Morning all! I love the idea of grounding and am going to try it. I’m usually out there in red band gumboots with the weed whacker or some other tool. I do have a wee round granite table and bentwood chairs that I sit on in the front door porch when the weather’s nice and pretend I’m in a French cafe sipping an expresso looking out at my very green garden.
    @jaifaim That would be Nathan. I first met him because his girlfriend was at art school when I was there. He worked as a cub reporter for the Truth (yeah right!) and wrote up a story about our flat – a large old pile with 7 flatmates, having an exorcism… but that’s another story!
    @flourbaby Your workmates have probably brought in those big tins because they don’t want to eat them all up at home!!
    @funshipfreddie A hot pink kerchief! Wolf 😗!!
    I’ve got to go get ready for coffee with friends and dogs.

Steely Resolve!

Day 15 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@flourbaby – my dad used to say the same thing, after snoring his head off in his armchair 😅 He was a cop though, he worked awful shifts & was nearly always exhausted. Try the cucumber, although it’s 96% water & may not work as well as raw carrot.

@daffodil2010 – Have you heard about these ‘co-working hubs? They were talking about them on the BBC yesterday – “the rise of working near home – in suburbs & towns”. For people who don’t want to work from home, but don’t want a long commute. I guess the idea is you just rent office space closer to home, & many employers are subsidising them, because they believe their employees will be more productive.

@stitchincarol – apprehensive is putting it mildly, & I had the added stress of going to a new dentist, as I’ve been putting it off since I left Durban well over a year ago. He was really nice though. I just had a check-up, + an x-ray, & I had a chipped filling repaired. The bill came to an eye-watering R 2370, but I will most likely be re-reimbursed by my med aid.

Yet another public holiday here today. This is the extra one we got for the Springboks winning the World Cup. No doubt trillions of in-land people are making their way to the coastal towns, & most of them won’t leave for 3 or 4 weeks 😢 The schools don’t re-open here until mid-January.

Oprah’s been cheating. Whatever works, right?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12860333/Oprah-Winfrey-admits-DID-use-weight-loss-medication.html

Anyone joining me for a Friday FD..?

Pocket List – Day 15 🥑
    @funshipfreddie

Day 15 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾
    154.6 lbs 🤩

Hello all, checking in…

Nicely installed in Pembrokeshire 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
    Had a cheeky weigh in yesterday and happy to be back in the zone.. but there will be fun and food this weekend. 🎄🕺🥘💃🏻🎄. On verra…

Happy Friday all!

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 15, London, UK, NFD,

Quick check in from me today, I’ve a ton of work to get through before getting ready for tonight’s shenanigans!! The men in the office will NOT require any preparation for a meal out after work, I however will have to freshen up, change shoes, do hair, apply make-up etc. etc. etc!!🙄 I don’t have to, but I do have to, if you know what I mean!!

@jaifaim, enjoy your get-together, sounds like a fun weekend is on the cards!!

@funshipfreddie, cucumber it is, I very, very rarely have carrots in the fridge, only for cooking a Bolognese or chilli or carrot & coriander soup (my mums favourite🥰).

@stitchincarol, I use my laptop at work and sometimes I don’t even switch it on at the weekends …………… I have to now, as I’ve promised to post on weekends😬………… but I don’t even own a computer, it’s a company laptop!! Although it will never be used by anyone but me, so it’s mine really!!

Right, back to the grindstone!!

Keep the faith folks, we’ve got this!!!

Day 15 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. Well, all that traveling yesterday I guess messed up things. I wasn’t saintly, but I didn’t overindulge either. I think it’s just carbs + travel equals a water retention nightmare. Hopefully, I won’t tip the scales to 230 this weekend! I think I’ll ZBC it this morning.

Day 15- No. VA USA- NFD

Hello, fellow fasters. I am still here. Busy at work and recovering (I hope!) from a demonic bout of gastro-enteritis, which caused shall we say, multiple bathroom visits day and night, and major loss of appetite. I think things are improving. My weight is down, of course, because of fear of eating, though I have been good about fluids and electrolytes.

Everyone sounds busy with holiday type activities, and I usually will do some baking soon for Christmas. I was going to make Swedish Limpa bread and also some molasses cookies and some plain sugar cookies, which my adult kids like. We shall see what gets done this weekend. The grocery store had no rye flour, and I need to rustle that up for the Limpa.

Resolve to everyone!

Day 15 – UK -TDEE

Came down with a sore throat, sniffly nose and irritated sinuses on Monday afternoon – didn’t feel bad in myself – tested negative for Covid x 2 but needless to say no fasting took place this week but my weight this morning was 61.6kg so mainly static, probably due to the fact that I came in under TDEE all week so far

Managed to join my walking group this morning for our regular Friday wander and felt OK
    So decided to go out tonight to the Jazz 🎺 concert as planned – friends are happy for me to join them as today’s test remains negative and symptoms are definitely easing off

@merryapple – well done!! and your evening sounds fabulous
    @funshipfreddie – I think it’s a bit sad that Oprah resorted to taking the drug to lose weight, especially as she knows she can lose the weight naturally as she has done it before…… let us hope she does not end up with health issues like Sharon Osborne….

Right off to get ready to drive for my planned hair appointment

Planning on OMAD today so 🤞 for another below TDEE day

Day 15 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 159.0

That casual promise I made yesterday about following through on my WF was effective; I kept getting a bit tempted, but had to remind myself each time that I’d promised. So I followed through. Today’s plan is to go out to dinner tonight, and have hamburger vegetable barley soup for lunch, along with a sturdy piece of bread. So the calories may end up being high, but I’ll compensate tomorrow if I need.

@merryapple So sorry I missed that you were on the list also; I didn’t scroll up high enough to find you. How fun that you and @maui are both going to try grounding; on this list, @daffodil2010 was the one who had the greatest results with her efforts.

@maui You know, by the time we had an empty nest, I also had lost my ability to sleep through the night; between being woken up by a child many nights for ten years, and then simply being aware of the kids being there and wanting to be sure everyone got up on time, I simply didn’t sleep well, which was a high contrast to when I was younger. I’m slowly learning to sleep well again, but there are many factors that impact that, so I can well understand that all your years of caring for your husband have impacted your own sleep patterns.

@funshipfreddie I’m so very glad your new dentist worked out well for you. ❤️

@jaifaim How wonderful that you at least get to start your weekend away at your goal weight!

@flourbaby Oh, do tell us about the carrot and coriander soup! And enjoy your time out tonight!

@excelsior Oh, UGH–I’m so glad you’re finally feeling better. Swedish limpa bread, eh? I’ll bet that just MAKES the Christmas season for you! In our family, it’s my mom’s Date Nut Swirls, which are frozen as a roll, then sliced and baked; I have a double batch–4 rolls–in the freezer, and I’ll “pack” them in tubes and take them along to California so we can bake some daily. 🥰 (My three sisters all agree that’s the safest approach because we otherwise will eat them all in the first three days, LOL!)

@at Aww, too bad on the feeling bad.

Today is a stay home day, and I’m so pleased to be here. I’ve lit the jar candle I only burn when it can burn for several hours straight, and I WILL GET THE REST OF THE ORNAMENTS ON THE TREE. LOL, it’s absolutely time. I also need to start on Christmas cards (although, please note that I send Christmas cards, not Advent cards, so I still have 10 days to get them out! 😂😂😂), and do the final gift shopping. And the house needs tidying. How can it get messy when we haven’t even been home much this week?? Crazy.

Day 16 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.2 kg

That was a toughie yesterday, even after I ate last night. Not sure why. Maybe because I was on a list of ONE 😅 But I persevered, phew? 🥴️

@at – I think it’s sad for anyone to resort to using a drug just to lose weight. But at 69, I guess Oprah knows herself better than anyone, & she’s just tired of struggling. At least she’s being honest about it. Finally 😅 But Sharon Osborne?! She looked awful in the pics I saw, like someone with an eating disorder. She went below 100 lb & said she got hooked on the weight loss, which to me sounds like the definition of an eating disorder.

How clever is this? A new app; just take a pic of what you’re about to eat to find out the calorie & nutrient content:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12867487/New-app-tell-exactly-calories-food-just-looking-

Michael Mosley’s column:-
    htm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12870011/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-running-WONT-help-lose-weight-nor-make-live-longer-thats-just-one-common-myths-exercise.html

Have a good weekend everyone 🌤🌈

Day 16 NFD NZ 79.8kg

I nearly did a FD to get a step further away from the 80s but then I thought don’t be ridiculous!
    Have been racing around today then came home and cleaned the Mini inside and out.
    @stitchincarol. Yes! Get those decorations on the tree!
    @at I hope you’re feeling better.
    @excelsior12309 Ooh that sounds nasty 🤢
    Bedtime for me now

Day 16-No. VA USA-FD 800

Feeling better, finally; what a grind of a week. This weekend, must get tree put up. Still lack enthusiasm for the effort. Also, @stichincarol, I very much like your description of “Christmas” vs “Advent” cards, and that will be my excuse that I have not sent out any. And I actually LIKE the Christmas season, I just haven’t gotten around to doing the standard things yet. Gee, I hope I will at least wrap up Christmas gifts and not just hand cardboard boxes around…who knows?

Day 16 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 160.2

I’m thinking of doing OMAD today, but I’m not ready to commit and I won’t say “try” or “hoping” so I’m “thinking”! 😲😂 The story on yesterday is that it all went perfectly to plan–until we got home from dinner and then I kept nibbling, and simply couldn’t find the wherewithall to stop myself. So that’s got to be part and parcel of how I plan out a Friday, not only how to get through the day according to plan, but how to get through the evening without undoing the day’s accomplishments. At least I’m still full from all that nibbling that I can’t imagine ever wanting to eat again…that will of course change in a few hours, but perhaps I have enough in me to get me through to OMAD time.

@funshipfreddie Isn’t it funny how we can sail through some FDs and others are so tough, as yours was yesterday? So glad you were able to persevere!

@merryapple You may not be further away from the 80s but I’m delighted for you that you’re not back IN the 80s!!

@excelsior12309 Yeah, this has been the toughest year ever for me to get Christmas decorations up…I did finally finish the tree yesterday, and we were able to put the large boxes away that hold the decorations. As to Advent v. Christmas, I also have my piano students do a Christmas Recital–like, literally, not an Advent Recital. This year it’s on January 4 (the day after we get back from seeing my family in California), which is the 11th Day of Christmas (Christmas Day being Day 1 and January 6 being Epiphany). I know the parents think I’m a bit nuts, but I also think they appreciate not having to fit yet one more activity into the days leading up to Christmas, just as I do, and I love the reminder that the preparation is all over and now we can simply enjoy the season. 🤷🏻‍♀️ As sick as you’ve been this week, you truly may not get as much done as usual, but at some point you’ll have interest and energy intersect and I bet you’ll do a big spurt of preparation!

Do any of you listen to Beegie Adair? She has a lot of Christmas music (she’s a pianist) that I adore and listen to on my smart speakers.

So, have a grand one, everyone!

Day 16 Pocket List 🎄 (in honor of your to-do list today)
    @excelsior12309 FD800

Day 16 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. About a half pound gain over last week. But, let’s stay the course with two days a week of fasting. The calorie count is bound to be higher this time of year; just be aware and cautious of habit-forming mindlessness that could carry over into the new year. I’ve spotted myself noshing on bits of candies at odd times — not good for the insulin resistance! Stay hydrated and eat good meals full of protein 🙂

Day 15 & 16 USA/Hawai’i FD800
    Sorry to have missed posting for Day 15.Three lunches out with friends this week helped my mental health but apparently the scales did not approve. This will be a bit of a reset today with using MFP to confirm the 800 calorie limit.

Day 17 NFD NZ 79.5kg

I managed to lock the neighbour’s cat in the garage overnight ☹️ The cat is now annoying our blackbirds – I can hear their distress calls because they nest in my trees…
    @stitchincarol. Well done getting the tree decorations up and on! If you can manage a OMAD I’m sure everything will balance out for you!
    I’m going to a friends on Wednesday. She’s asked me to bring an appetiser because she can’t manage to serve a meal before 10pm. She’s not disorganised so much as a perfectionist… I’m trying to think of something starchy that will soak up EtOH but is chic… Any suggestions from anyone?
    @at I hope your sniffle didn’t come to much. I bet your area looks like the stuff of Xmas cards now.
    @excelsior12309 Hopefully you’re full of beans to tackle Xmas feasting!
    @maui I’m so appreciative we know how to do FDs post luncheons otherwise I for one would be back to a Colonel Blimp state.
    @northgeorgia Thank goodness New Years is coming up for a proper fresh start and reset for all of us!
    @flourbaby I like the thought of you out and about in heels with the likely lads! Have fun!
    @funshipfreddie I’ve lost weight without out focusing too much on exercise cause I thought if I did any I’d wreck my joints even further… I’ve played a lot of sport over the years and retired from tennis about 10 yrs ago because of Achilles heel problems… I’m not that indolent because of lifestyle but I am looking forward to building up strength in the New Year. I was amazed that I was losing because there is such an emphasis on raising your BMR to lose weight by building muscle and using up energy. Not to say this isn’t important but it is possible to focus largely on intake… Having said this, I’ve still got 10kg, well 9.5kg to lose!
    @jaifaim Pembrokeshire sounds gorgeous!

Have fun, one and all!

Second post

Ooo, @merryapple I love planning menus!!!! What about a brie cheese with some lovely jam on top and slices of french bread? Or what about spinach balls? Or I have a recipe I could share that’s probably not chic but is totally yummy: a loaf of french bread (not a baguette, but the big thing) cut in half lengthwise, then spread with a mixture of butter, garlic, spinach and parmesan and some other cheese, baked until hot, then sliced. Or, this one is so yummy: buy frozen bread dough that’s in small pieces to be dinner rolls, make a cream-cheese based spinach dip, put the balls of dough around a cast iron pan, fill the center with the dip, and when the dough has raised appropriately, bake the whole thing. Or cream cheese, covered with cocktail sauce and then salad shrimp. Or cream cheese covered with fig jam. Or jalapeno jelly. Either/both served with crackers.

Now I’ve demonstrated why losing weight is so challenging, LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

Day 17 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@merryapple – Some healthy Christmas appetiser ideas. I’d normally avoid bread as an appetiser – too filling – but the Roasted Grape Crostinis look good, & not too heavy https://thishealthytable.com/blog/healthy-christmas-appetizers/ I’m not crazy about exercise either, especially cardio. You’ll only catch me running if I think my life’s in danger 😅 But just moving/walking is really important. It fascinates me how many calories we burn just when we’re sleeping. Usually my tracker tells me I’ve burned 450 – 500 cals when I wake up.

@stitchincarol – I wonder if what we eat the day before an FD influences how tough or easy an FD will be? The cake I ate on Wednesday is something I never usually eat. I struggled to eat it, but then I felt hungry again not long after I got home, & I had the munchies for much of Thursday too. I’m listening to Beegie Adair’s Christmas music on YouTube. Nice!

Starting the week with a fast day. I’m going for 4:3 this week, just in case I lose the plot next week. I’ve been know to eat my weight in chocolate over Christmas 🤪🎄

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 17 🍏
    @funshipfreddie

Day 17 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs, but a few ounces lighter than yesterday. Today is a planned WFD. Not sure whether tomorrow or Tuesday will be FDs, but as I know the holidays for me begin Saturday, and not sure if Tuesday or Wednesday week will be the next FD, it might be good to be restrictive both days.

Pocket List – Day 17 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 17 USA/Hawai’i B2B FD800

Weigh in 163 lb after touching on 165 due to those delightful lunches in restaurants. As @merryapple posted….trying to avoid going back to becoming Colonel Blimp… I’ve never mentioned it here before but at one point,maybe 15 years ago, I was firmly in the 190’s and even hit 200 lb on one of those outdoor scales that also give you a card telling you your fortune. That was the tipping point and I did get back to the 180’s and then 170’s when I re-started here Oct 2022.

Going for another FD 800 today. I am still visualizing seeing 159 to start the new year. I think it would cheer me up and even put a smile on my face again. For whatever reason, that Barry Manilow song, Can’t Smile Without You, played over and over in my head yesterday. Finally, I went to YouTube and found a jazz version of it by a female singer so at least poor Barry could take a break. Lol

I’m joining the boys for today’s FD! All the best to all fasting today.
    Pocket List – Day 17 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @maui

Day 18 FD NZ 79.5kg

I have my dog park crew coming over this evening for a walk then a ‘bring a plate’ meal. I’m making a big sourdough loaf and Gazpacho – from the Moro cookbook😋
    @maui I know exactly what you mean. For me, I couldn’t get past a phrase commentators kept repeating about the Queen – she’s ‘passing into history’. I knew this was happening to my DH but he still felt so present to me in part because he always looked to the future, never the past. It would pop up out of nowhere and I reacted against it for ages.
    @funshipfreddie and @stitchincarol Ooh nice recipes. I might try the whipped feta and Skordalia. I love the cast iron idea and the cream cheese/ spinach combos but I’m catering for too many people plus probably will take the train to get there. I’ll try those chez nous. I can’t use her oven because she’ll have the roast lamb in it. You have reminded me about a delicious baked feta, olives, thyme, smoked paprika combo!
    @excelsior12309 Just get some colourful ribbon to tie around the boxes 💝and add the Christmas cards to them!

Got to get going!! Enjoy the day!

Pocket List 🌴
    Merry🍎

Day 17 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 162.4

Yuck, yuck, yuck!! Can I assume it’s water weight?? Who knows. I ate reasonably yesterday, of that I’m certain. @funshipfreddie I think what you eat today absolutely impacts how hungry you are tomorrow, because I was not at all hungry until late on Saturday afternoon, after my nibble fest on Friday evening–probably because it wasn’t sugar and it was lots of protein. I’ve eaten decently so far today, but we have a party to go to tonight, and I have zero idea what sort of food and drink will be offered, so it’s hard to make plans. Oh well, I’ll have fun and aim for decent and call that good.

Oh, dear, I typed this a long time ago and somehow never hit “submit”! So I’ll do that now, and be back tomorrow.

Day 18 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Hello all, all is well here. I’m having fun and keeping an eye on what’s going in – lots of party food but I’ve made relatively good choices. What has struck me this year is the number of people not drinking alcohol – and not just the 50y+ gang but many of the younger crew too…
    Lots of great catch ups, dancing and some games 🤩
    I leave later today – back to the grindstone until Friday and then Christmas fun🎄

I hope everyone is in a good space as we count down to Chrimbo 🎄⭐️🎄

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 18 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.4 kg

That was an unexpected Sunday pocket list! 🎯 It was an easy one for me. I didn’t step out the door all day though & only managed 3300 steps – terrible. But I wasn’t exactly a couch potato & did a fair bit of cleaning. I’ll aim for 10,000 steps today & tomorrow to make up for it.

@merryapple – I see you’re not planning an FD on Christmas Day..? 😂

@stitchincarol – yes, it must be water weight..? 🤔 Do you ever used the spreadsheet? I don’t know if it helps, but it feels like it does.

@jaifaim – yes, we’re trending. Very ‘with it’, us teetotallers 😂 During the line-dancing lunch last week I never thought of alcohol at all, & it was only after I got home that it occurred to me no-one had even had a beer or wine. I mean, it was lunchtime, but still..

This is mind-boggling. 3000 obesity-related hospital admissions EVERY DAY in England?!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12875353/NHS-dealing-3-000-ward-admissions-obesity-DAY-patient-numbers-doubling-just-six-years.html

Sending steely RESOLVE to the Monday fasters 💪🎯

Day 18, London, UK, NFD

Well, so much for weekend posting!! Friday night was successful in that I had my meal, a couple drinks🍷🍷 then headed home, leaving the rabble to do what rabbles do🍻🍻!!!!

@stitchincarol, I need your french bread/cheese/ garlic bread recipe, even if just to salivate over the words!!! This is the BBC food recipe I use for the soup, I doubt I’ll make it ever again, as it wasn’t my favourite, but mum loved it😍😍
    Ingredients
    1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 onion, chopped; 1 tsp ground coriander; 1 potato, chopped; 450g carrots, peeled and chopped; 1.2l vegetable or chicken stock; handful coriander (about ½ a supermarket packet),
    Method
    STEP 1 – Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large pan, add 1 chopped onion, then fry for 5 mins until softened.
    STEP 2 – Stir in 1 tsp ground coriander and 1 chopped potato, then cook for 1 min.
    STEP 3 – Add the 450g peeled and chopped carrots and 1.2l vegetable or chicken stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat.
    STEP 4 – Cover and cook for 20 mins until the carrots are tender.
    STEP 5 – Tip into a food processor with a handful of coriander then blitz until smooth (you may need to do this in two batches). Return to pan, taste, add salt if necessary, then reheat to serve.

@funshipfreddie and @stitchincarol, I’ve always found the FD following a particularly carby NFD sooo difficult to complete. Carbs make me ravenous which seems to carry over to the next day!!! I really have to watch my NFD carbs to ensure I don’t want to throw in the FD towel at 10am!!!😱😱

I planned to be on yesterday’s pocket list, but needless to say, it did NOT happen!!! Anyway, back to my usual Tue/Thurs FD routine, I hope nothing in the office derails me. I need to flex my FD muscle and hold tight to the mojo!!!💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

Onwards & downwards folks!!!

I guess Oprah followed her own advice …….🤣🤣

“Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.”
    — Oprah Winfrey

Day 18 – USA/GA – ?

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. Going to try and make today a FD500. If unexpected circumstances arise, then it will be tomorrow.

Day 18 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800 – 164.0

Yup, another ugly number and worse than yesterday’s. I didn’t eat that much last night, but the choices were all either cheese or crackers or creamy dipping sauces. No veggies. So today I’m doing a FD800 to help compensate for the weekend, and I’ll worry about tomorrow when I get there.

I made up a list yesterday of all that I have to accomplish before we leave on Christmas Day, and it is quite daunting. My mind is racing with what to do first this morning, so I’m going to forego chatting and simply get to it.

2nd Post – Day 18

Pocket List 🌴 Day 18
    @merry🍎
    @northgeorgia – maybe…
    @stitchincarol FD800

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply.