Happy Xmas December 2023 Challenge

This topic contains 235 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Maui 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 236 total)

• Welcome to the December 2023 Challenge: Happy Xmas!

Give yourself the gift of a lighter you this season. Feast, but not every day. Enjoy a tasty treat, but remember “sugar is poison!” so don’t overdo. Enjoy the impromptu parties, but don’t fill your plate. Don’t be bigger than Santa! Deck the halls with a trimmer waistline. Ho ho ho, you can do this!

Everyone is welcome to join the monthly Challenges. So whether you’re a fasting veteran, just trying it for the first time, or if you fell off the wagon and are coming back to the fold, let’s make every day of November count! Fasting is tried and tested, it’s free and for many of us it’s the only thing that works. We eat what we like – most of the time – and still lose or maintain weight and stay healthy.

These monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and have been going strong ever since. Goals can be overwhelming when viewed as a whole. But by breaking them down into small achievable pieces, we are able to stay focused and motivated to accomplish our goals one step at a time in bite-sized monthly challenges.

There are no rules, but as a general guide, here are some tips for any new people:

1. Posting – Please start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting with us on a particular day etc. Look at the various posts, and you’ll soon see the pattern, and will learn how useful it is for reading.

2. In your first post, please introduce yourself to the group – this helps us to get to know each other, which is especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, your journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share only what you are comfortable sharing online.

3. Spreadsheet – It is in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. But you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It’s just another tool you can use if you choose. @merryapple kindly created the spreadsheet for this month 🤗

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j4AEl8Vu-1U1PiKnE0x8hRybmI3XK2qkIa9nLPTm2_A/edit#gid=0

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you’re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post e.g. Day 1 second post. Past history shows that posting every day truly does help with motivation for staying on track with your goals, so please don’t feel shy about suddenly posting daily; we love new members!

5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity

7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket, knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF (dry till Friday).

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

And by way of translation, we use a LOT of abbreviations. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:

5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD
    16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)
    AF – Alcohol-free
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ’til Fri (no wine, beer, etc.)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce had an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    NSV – non-scale victory (courtesy of @flourbaby)
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of moi!)
    Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

Let’s get this month going!

Day 0 – USA/GA

I’m ready to get back to the 210s and lower. Gained too much weight since March, but went a bit crazy on my NFDs, including letting a lot of not so good for me stuff back into my diet. December will be a tough time, but I think how much better I feel eating homemade, good-for-me dishes over fast food, junk food, and other quick bites and I imagine it may not be too terrible. I’m not happy hovering around 225 lbs, but it’s better than the 280 lbs where I started. Ready to restart!

Day 0, London, UK

I’m with you @northgeorgia, I’m planning to increase the exercise whilst decreasing the waistline!

I’ll commit to 2 x 500cal FDs per week ………………. even Xmas week! I’ll be mindful on NFDs and imbibe🍷🍷🍷 very very carefully, as over indulging leads to bad, bad choices!!🍰🍷🧀🍕!!

Let’s do this!!!

Day 0 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@northgeorgia – I’m with you for ‘Happy Xmas December’! “Don’t be bigger than Santa!” 🤣 Perish the thought 😳

@flourbaby – “I’ll commit to 2 x FDs per week ………even Xmas week!” Me too! Not sure how yet, but I’ll figure it out. It’s all in the planning…

“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail”. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Day 0 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

I’ll be here as well! I turn 65 on December 10, and plan to be back in the 150s, not the 160s I’ve been visiting for several days, because the visit is OVER.

See you all tomorrow!

Day 1 NZ NFD 80.5kg

Great intro @northgeorgia!! 🤣🤣I’m planning to be the sporty version of a streamlined Mrs Claus (by next year😶). @funshipfreddie I too always do 2 FDs every week. @flourbaby Just use a small claret glass – it gets embarrassing refilling it too often!!🤣 @stitchincarol like @jaifaim says don’t be too hard on yourself – accentuate the positive not the negative and you’ll achieve way more! And @jaifaim Go you! You’ll be back at maintenance in time for Christmas!!😁 @metatauta Great to see you on the sheet! Well done!! @maui So pleased you’ve managed a lovely break and to hear you’re helping out your friend which is helping you too!!😘 @excelsior12309 You’ll get there! Stagnant is not up but a somewhat murky word… Your FD will create a shift downward!

Hello one and all from the sunny South Seas. This time last year I was wondering how to pull myself together. I lurked around the forum and at New Year’s decided this is it! I felt I was too heavy to exercise. I have played a lot of different sports in my time – tennis, hockey, cricket, rowing etc and with age creeping up, I’m now 65, I thought what can I do for exercise? So I bought an e-bike and added a seat for Macintosh my aged Westie. It’s been great fun but we have had a very wet year and our trips are mostly the 10km dog park run. Planning ahead for 2024, I will hopefully be in the 70s having dropped 13kg so far after aiming for a 1 kg/month loss. I’m going to go for both cardiovascular and strength fitness training, which will mean joining a gym… My DH went to the gym religiously 3x per week.

Exercise is wasted on the young! (Misquote George Bernard Shaw)

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.9 kg

About me:- David, 61, originally from Manchester, England. Retired & living in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Been 5:2-ing/IF-ing since 2014. I joined the Challenges in 2018. Currently maintaining – 70.9 kgs/BMI 21.9.

@stitchincarol – your memory is amazing! You’re right, I never bake – anything! 😅

Planning to kick-start the month with a FD tomorrow, then maybe Mon/Thurs next week.

Wishing everyone a successful month! 💪🎯

Day 1 – UK – FD

Despite a less than stellar November I managed to shed 0.4kg, so I am back this month hoping to have a strong end to this year and planning on starting the month with a FD – I think I really must make the effort to going back to daily posting here which I know will in turn increase my motivation and mental fasting strength 🤞

Looks like a couple of us had our 65th birthday this year @merryapple and @stitchincarol (my DD turns 35 on your birthday!)

@flourbaby – I need to have some of your motivation and sign up to:- “I’ll commit to 2 x 500cal FDs per week ………………. even Xmas week! I’ll be mindful on NFDs and imbibe🍷🍷🍷 very very carefully, as over indulging leads to bad, bad choices!!🍰🍷🧀🍕!!”

For any newbies joining us
    I am a 65y.o. female living with my OH – I retired in December 2013 and moved to the Lake District – best decision we ever made – OH and I love our new life here!
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I was fed up with being overweight and wanted to get fitter! I decided to join the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 with the help of the lovely people here offering great support and advice 🤗
    Total initial weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs and had managed to remain in maintenance range until this past year when I have struggled and gained an extra 5kgs/11lbs

Last month I decided to be honest with myself and looked back at my personal diary where I record events and found my weight as recorded at the end of each month!!
    Jan – 59.3kg
    Feb – 61kg
    March – 58.1kg
    April – 58kg
    May – 61.9kg
    June – 61.3kg
    July – 61.7kg
    August – 60.6kg
    Sept – 62.8kg
    Oct – 62.8kg
    Nov – 62.4kg

It is freezing cold 🥶 here today but we are promised yet another day of sunshine, so cannot complain. I have to go get ready to join my regular walking group for our Friday hike 🥾 walking from Coniston today, getting a lift with friends who have to drive through my town to get there.

As @funshipfreddie said “Wishing everyone a successful month! 💪🎯”

Day 1 Pocket List 🎯 – anyone else joining me today??
    @at

Day 1, London, UK, NFD

Still going ahead with the office breakfast despite yesterday’s office Xmas drinks! So it’s a NFD ….. again. Roll on Saturday’s FD before the bloat sets in!!!😁😁

Thanks again @northgeorgia for hosting this most trying of months. I’m pretty sure it’s not written anywhere that we HAVE TO go crazy & consume 3 x our usual intake!! I know that the slippery slope is a steep one (speedy downhill, snail’s pace uphill!!!), so a bit of control exhibited this month, means January will NOT be the month of ridiculous resolutions, angst and yes; REGRET!!!

@at and @funshipfreddie, in all honesty, 2 days per week is nothing!!! I’ve been complaining for years about how short the weekend is!!! Before we know it, our 2 FDs will be over, and the true struggle begins ………………… Having some control on a NFD!!😱😱

This month I need the scales to shift in a downward direction, stagnant is ok (maintenance!) but of course, I prefer downwards!!!

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
    — Dale Carnegie

Day 1-No. VA, USA-FD
    I am fasting today to start the month on the proper foot! Thanks, @northgeorgia, for hosting. Would like to register a loss of 2# by the end of the month. A real loss, not the bobbing up and down kind, which I am quite good at.
    Onward and downward!

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Well, unfortunately, yesterday’s OMAD turned into a 16:8, but weight gain was pretty minimal. Today will be a ZBC, and I’ll plan another FD on Sunday. This is going to be a very challenging month for most of us, but just remember: two days a week of fasting, and remember that TDEE along with what, how often, and how much you fill your plate on the other days — and we should all be fine 🙂

2nd Post – Day 1

Day 1 – Pocket List 🎯 – anyone else joining me today??
    @at
    @excelsior12309

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

I woke up with a headache and a nauseous stomach, so this is the extent of my post for this morning. I’m holding out hope that I feel fine in a few hours!

Day 1 USA/Hawaii FD800

My profile, started in 2018 and updated to present…

I’m 72 years old and my husband is 83. We saw the TV special and tried the 5:2 program few years ago but slipped away from it after about a month or two. We’ve also tried the 16:8 method from time to time. My husband lost weight quickly but my weight loss was minor. I’m hoping the support in this forum help will help get us back on track. We are both healthy and do some walking but of late I have trouble sticking with my morning walks. I would like to lose about 30 lbs. I work full time so need to plan my meals carefully do I don’t get off track. We try to follow a diet that’s gluten free with mostly organic foods, healthy fats like coconut oil, avocados, olive oil and cage free eggs. Looking forward to the September challenge. Update: 4 years later and now I am full time caregiver for my DH who will be 88 next month! Wow.. how things have changed since I wrote my profile. He has no weight issues at all. I am back to lose weight and try to increase strength and energy to give him the best care possible. I know I can only care for him if I care for myself too. We still enjoy our time together. He is a delight and makes me smile every day.
    5 years later update…now 2023. I am now a widow and our beloved town of Lahaina was destroyed by fire. Over 100 lives lost and many homes and businesses including the art gallery where I worked since 1977. Back here for support to continue this healthy WOL and hopefully inspire others as I succeed.

3rd Post – Day 1

Day 1 – Pocket List 🎯
    @at
    @excelsior12309
    @maui FD800

Day 2 NZ NFD 81kg

I came home from an opening at the Auckland Art Gallery where I had 3 glasses of wine and no food… (I was on the city bus not driving) It was late and I cooked a piece of rump steak way past my eating curfew time… I did think about the consequences of eating so late (sumo wrestling) but went for the protein anyway… I also cooked my sourdough bread because it would have over proved by morning and went to bed with it still in the oven. So this morning despite not being hungry I had to try the sourdough with a cup of tea. C’est la vie!
    Yup @northgeorgia It sounds doable when you put it like that!🤞
    @flourbaby That Carnegie quote sums up a lot of our situations before we found 5:2!!!
    @at Mr Mac and I love that kind of weather. We have cloudy and high humidity here at present 🙃
    @excelsior12309 As you know, 2# is 2lbs of butter in volume. I hope it’s coming off where you want it to!!!
    @stitchincarol That’s no good. Hope you feel better soon.
    @maui It’s heartbreaking for me to read your intro. You’re back here and in some crazy way, getting up and posting with a cup of tea each morning becomes a routine like having a morning conversation. After a while I’ve found you start to focus more on yourself rather than your situation. So Kia Kaha and let’s do this, all of us together😊

Kia Kaha (Stay Strong!) and have a good weekend!

Day 1 second post

I’m so pleased to report that I’m fine now. It took until 1:30, when I realized I was hungry, so made myself a sandwich. No idea what caused it, but I was so wimpy that–remember, I have a boatload of baking I simply must do today–I’d work for 5 minutes and then sit down and rest for 10! 😂 But I’m nearly done with everything so I’ll finish without any undue stress.

My beginning weight for the month this morning was 158.6, so not lovely but not as bad as some mornings have been in the last week. I’ve eaten a bit too much cookie dough today, and I’ve had two baked cookies–I think. Not three, for certain, and perhaps only one. Restraint was shown, in other words, which was actually simple first thing this morning when I felt so repulsed by all things “food”! There’s always a silver lining, right?

I’m one week away from 65, so let’s just call me that, along with @merryapple and @at. I’m a musician (organist, choir director, piano teacher), and love all the housey things: knitting, cooking, quilting, decorating for the seasons, and gardening when it’s not below freezing for at least part of every day, as it has been for almost a month now. I’ve been down to 140 and below several times in the last few years, and aim to get back there again.

I won’t post in the morning because I’ll be out the door early for our church’s 32nd Annual Christmas Cookie & Candy Boutique, and Sunday also has things going that will keep me out of the house, so I’ll be back on Monday. And now it’s time to go decorate the cookies that are baked and cooled.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 1 – Ireland – CD🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾
    156 lbs

Hi all, just in from the first Christmas party 💃🏻💃🏻of the season so a quick post-Day 1 check in. Managed to keep it low cal as no GF good on offer.

Thanks for hosting @northgeorgia – I’m very glad to be here and will properly post tomorrow 👍

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 – USA/TN
    Hello, everyone! I’ve been very busy at work all of November, but I am reading your posts daily, which is very motivating. As a result of daily logging EVERYTHING I eat on MFP for the past 50 or so days, that seems to be the difference in my weight in August and my weight now. We all know what works for us, and despite having been in maintenance for quite a while, I slipped almost 10 lbs. extra on my frame and it was very uncomfortable. I now am nearer to my goal weight again, and very happy about it. I’m not too happy about having to work so much, but it seems the routine of working 5 days a week has helped me. I really should be semi-retired. This situation may last another 6-8 months, and I promised to be a team player and stick around until my sick co-worker comes back. Anyway, glad to start another month with you all and hoping to lose the last 2-3 lbs. and stay there by the end of this year.

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@stitchincarol – good to hear you’re okay, & I hope all goes smoothly with the Cookie & Candy Boutique!

@flourbaby – I love your enthusiasm, but, steady on?! 😂 2 FDs a week – I wouldn’t call it ‘nothing’? I mean, it’s almost 30% of the week! 104 days a year! And if you’re having a tough day, & every cell in your body is screaming, “feed me! feed me!”, it can be challenging, to put it mildly. But, it’s very doable. And it’s free. And the rewards outweigh the occasional discomfort. Just a small tweak in how we think on a FD can make a huge difference in how tough or easy it is. I hope you’re still planning a Saturday FD, ‘cos I hate to suffer alone & I’m putting you on the list 😀

Dr Mosley’s weekly column:- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12816001/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-Cheer-faking-smile-help-live-100-years-old.html

“When you don’t have food in your life, just for a day, it makes you realise you’re lucky to have it the next day. So the day after fasting, the music that comes out will be very joyous”. ~ Chris Martin

Pocket List – Day 2 🥕
    @funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby

Day 2 – UK – NFD

@northgeorgia – I forgot to thank you for stepping up to host this most trying of months 🤗 You are a star 🌟

I managed to stick to my FD500 yesterday, although I have to admit it was a struggle…..61.7kg this morning!!! Cruella was very kind……

Woke up to a white snowy morning – only about 1″ near my house but lots on the fells around, OH has just gone out for his daily run to check it out….I will venture out a bit later this morning to walk to a Christmas Fair at Rydal Hall around 5miles round trip

@flourbaby – I totally with you that “stagnant is ok (maintenance!) but of course, I prefer downwards!!!” as I have slipped away from maintenance but would love to go back there and stay stagnant 🤣
    @stitchincarol – glad the headache and nausea were transient and you recovered
    @maui – good to have you with us – absolutely correct that the group is amazingly supportive and also no judgement when we falter
    @metatauta – I have been in the same boat as you – got to my highest at 62.8kg although I seem to have started a slight downward trend as I was 61.7kg this morning after yesterday’s successful FD – I would love to drop to below 60kg before Christmas……
    @funshipfreddie – thank you for keeping the pocket list updated yesterday – it gave me some motivation and encouragement to stick to my FD when I was struggling

I have a few chores to do before I set out to meet a friend to walk to the Christmas fair together ❄️ 🥾Started 🌨️ ❄️ again…..

Strength and will power to today’s pocket list – you can do this 💪

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Acutally, a half a pound lighter over yesterday’s All You Can Eat buffet lunch with work. I kept thinking “keto,” and loaded up with proteins and vegetables and saved most of the carbs until the end. Stayed full and had a light supper (ok, but I did have a piece of chocolate cake oops)… Good to remember certain choices leave me feeling fuller longer.

I’m from near Vancouver BC Canada. I’m 65 and decided it was time to loose those extra pounds. I started an exercise program in January and do strength workouts 3 times a week and cardio in between. I’ve been on the Fasting diet for almost 2 months and I have lost 8lbs and many inches.

For December I plan to continue with the 5:2 plan for the whole month. I may switch the days around depending on events happening each week and I will also keep up with my exercise.

My one “issue” is finding good filling breakfasts but I am working on it.

Day 2 USA/Hawaii CD

163lbs this morning, down 1lb after B2B FD800.
    I find the lower number quite encouraging. I will be switching to FD500’s soon. And a water FD too.

Today my house guest is making a veggie version of Shepherd’s Pie for dinner and we have a mutual friend joining us for the meal. Today is CD and I plan to save most of my calories for dinner so I can enjoy without giving it too much thought. Nice to add some socializing to my recovery journey. Seems that my worst days are while I am alone.
    Thanks to all for the encouraging comments and sharing the details of your personal journey.

Day 3 NZ NFD 81kg

Oh woe is me… I have a hangover not even cured by morning cups of tea… I went out to a 50th birthday party last night – black tie, disco,🥂, and two new govt ministers. I had on a patio dress with Grecian shoulders plus pads – black jersey silk with two sprays/ garlands of large pink, mauve and purple flowers cascading down the front L and R. You guessed – it from the 80s! I also had a black crocheted shawl – deep triangle and very open pattern and tassels that I made when I was 17. Oh and black ankle boots… Everyone looked amazing – there were lots of sequinned dresses of various lengths in either black, silver or white and of course the males looked like Emperor Penguins. I bailed up the new Minister of Arts and Culture to give him a couple of ideas…😅 He wants to come and visit the house. I’ll believe it when I see it!!
    I’m about to prepare a desert to take with me for tonight’s dinner date at my friends’ house. If I can do stagnation for two weeks I think I’ll be happy. Should the S word go on our list?!
    Welcome @jennifer40 Wow that sounds a great exercise regime! Just what I need! I’ve added your name to our Google sheet. The access address is in @northgeorgia’s first post. For breakfast I make my own sourdough bread and muesli (oats, buck wheat groats (for crunch), coconut, dried fruit, seeds and nuts) dry roasted in the oven. I cook the oats for 20 mins, stir then add the rest in for a second 20 mins at 170•C

Be happy one and all!

Day 2 – Ireland -NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Another quick post… was so very tired today after the party last night but luckily no hangover… didn’t imbibe 🥂 but did have too much sugar and felt the effects today… creaky bones creaking more 😂
    Poor you @merryapple but hope it was fun! 🥂🥂🥂
    Hi to all returning to the fold 🤗 so brilliant to see you here 💕 we missed you.

Welcome @jennifer40 ⭐️⭐️

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.9 kg

Sunday morning PFDS! 😇 I’m reminding myself today that NFD does NOT stand for ‘Now for a Feast Day’.

@maui – B2B FDs?! 🎯 💪

@merryapple – oh no?! I hope your hangover’s subsided by now. Sounds like you had a blast anyway 🎉 🥂

@jennifer40 – welcome! I never eat breakfast; my eating window is around 12 noon til 8 pm unless I’m fasting. But I do like traditional breakfast food, & usually have eggs on toast with either avo or mushrooms. Eggs are very filling & good for fast days too, because they have so few calories.

Happy S🌞nday!

Day 3 – UK – NFD

So much snow yesterday!!! apparently nothing like it since 2010 according to the locals…..certainly not in the last 10 years I have been living here!!!

Cars abandoned on the side of the road all around the town – on foot it was glorious – really enjoyed the walk yesterday…..felt like I was in a ski resort!!! Already starting to melt today but it will take a while and certainly the minor and side roads will remain tricky for at least another day.

@jennifer40 – welcome to the challenge and looks like you are doing great – well done on the loss so far – sorry I can’t give advice about breakfast as I never have any but brunch is another thing!!!!! Like @funshipfreddie today I enjoyed poached eggs on sourdough toast, avocado and a mixed leaf salad with sun dried tomatoes with a flat white 😋
    @maui – well done on the loss after your B2B FD800
    @merryapple – sorry about the hangover but sounds like you looked fabulous and had a great time at the 50th birthday party 💃
    @jaifaim – tiredness but no hangover after a Christmas party 😇

I remind myself today that 5:2 is “Not A Diet, It’s A Lifestyle Change” and it works to lose those unwanted lbs/kg and keeping it off if you stick to it

Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. Well, pttttfff! Same as last Sunday, although so close to 227 this morning. Anyway, today is a WFD. Tricky next couple of work weeks with lots of meetings and events, many of which I’m sure involve food. Thursday should be an easy FD. Might be some opportunities for TRE during the week, maybe even tomorrow.

@jennifer40 Welcome to the forum! I have found a breakfast full of protein and few to no carbs keeps a fuller feeling stomach. However, I usually don’t have breakfast in the week, unless it’s a handful of nuts to break a fast from the previous day.

@merryapple Sounds like you had a nice birthday! Congrats!

@at BRRRRR…. stay warm!

Pocket list – day 3
    @northgeorgia

Day 3 USA/Hawaii FD800
    I didn’t use MFP during dinner last night but I am claiming yesterday’s CD a success. Fairly sure I had to be well under 1200 calories for the day.
    This morning still holding at my new low of 163 lbs. Jumping back into another FD800 today….it allows me to eat with my house guest as we enjoy cooking together…eats mostly veggies and fish which I enjoy too. Having company helps keep me inspired to get on the recumbent stationary bike and/ or walk daily.
    All the best to all of us to make December a game changer as festive sweets and rich foods are controlled.

Day 4 FD NZ 81.6kg

I went out for dinner at friends’ last night who love to drink champagne. “Here we go again…”. I made desert – pumpkin pie that’s like a cheese cake. The base is crushed ginger biscuits plus more ginger. The filling roasted pumpkin, spices, 2 eggs and cream… The high life is catching up with me… Time to 🤐💪😶🍽️

Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 4 country west Australia FD 83.3 kgs ( 183.26 lbs)
    Back after a hiatus.
    7 years after first joining and doing 5:2 with some success , fell off the wagon yada yada yada, joined again this year moderate but slow success with HEAPS of mojo – ready and raring to go.
    BUT…. in September was taken on a surprise ‘ healthy week’ of walking , walking, walking, less coffee, small meals, no vino (😲🙄) few snacks and healthy ones when we did have them.
    Looked forward to getting on the scales when I arrived home , and ….. exactly the same weight as when I went away. Not a gram more, nor a gram less.
    Went away at 81.6 kg and came back 81.6 kg.😱😱😱
    Felt very sorry for myself after all that effort and to pour salt on the wound, I did a test and tested positive to Covid for the second time.
    Needless to say, my self control went out the window, no fasting, eating carbs like they are going out of fashion and I am the heaviest I have been for a few months.
    Back to doing 5:2 as it should be done.
    Fasting today. Prep done. More tea, less flat white coffees ( full of milk) and see how we go.
    Aiming to be under 80 kgs by end of December despite parties, birthdays, Christmas etc.
    Not hosting at mine this Christmas so should be able to maintain some semblance of discipline in the kitchen….

@jennifer40, if I have breakfast I have homemade muesli (1/4 cup is a serving size) made with steel cut oats, sesame seeds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, chopped almonds, cranberries ( not too many as high in sugar), LSA , psyllium husks, with natural Greek yoghurt ( few tablespoons only), a touch of milk if needed for moisture, 1/2 piece of fruit ( apple or pear). If I don’t have this then a boiled or poached egg with avocado is delicious and can be filling.
    I usually have a slice of wholemeal/grain toast with it but have just read on the weekend how devastating carbs are for many people who are pre-diabetic or diabetic. ( And I LOVE carbs of every kind!!)
    There is a diabetes crisis in Australia which no-one is talking about . ( I did know this as a health professional but there are none so blind as those who continue to ignore the facts…)
    A few million people walking around oblivious to their BSLs and the damage they could be doing to their bodies has really made me stop and take it seriously.
    Because I DO know my BSLs and was probably treating it a bit lightly . And I have a family history of diabetes.
    Given I am pre-diabetic ( BSLs borderline hence needing to lose weight ASAP)
    SO no carbs/sugars for me for the next little while . EEEKKKK!!
    I will need all the support of this forum that I have found before.
    Hi to everyone old and new.
    Here we go again….🙄🙄😬

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@at – I saw all the snow in the Lake District/Cumbria on Sky News! Very scenic, but if only it could’ve waited for a few more weeks. I can’t remember any white Christmases from when I lived in the UK; always before or after ⛄️

@lilymartin – welcome back! Diabetes is a huge problem here too. We have the highest rates in sub-Saharan Africa after Nigeria. And yet it’s so preventable, & even curable in most cases. My dad had it, & I have an aunt in New Zealand who has to inject herself before every meal. But she would rather do that than fast or/& change her diet, & I imagine many people would. But fasting is more powerful than any drug at improving insulin levels. You probably already know plenty about that as a healthcare professional, but Jason Fung’s ‘The Diabetes Code’ is a great read.

RESOLVE, Monday fasters! 💪🎯

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie

Day 4-No. VA USA-FD
    Well, here I go again, fast day today. Mondays are busy at the office, so should keep me occupied and not eating. I have a routine dr. appointment in a few days, so I would like my weight to be at least where I was 7 months ago!

Day 4 – USA/GA – ?

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. I doubt if today will be a FD, as I have a meeting with a community group at lunchtime, so I know what that means. But I’ll do ZBC this morning anyway and pretend. We’ll see what happens.

Day 4 – UK – FD

Yesterday’s planned TDEE started so well 🤣 but an unexpected social gathering in the evening put paid to that idea…..🥂 and too much food consumed so today is a much needed FD

@funshipfreddie -The freezing cold weather continues and so much of the snow remains in our garden and on our little side road – the pavements into town are still well covered and snow has been pushed to the sides of the main road…..the temperature has crept up as the day has gone on and a bit of the snow is now melting…..pavements are slushy ready to become ice rinks tonight!!
    @merryapple – who can refuse champagne!!
    @lilymartin – great to see you back, I haven’t been a regular participant for the past few months but making an effort this month…….as support from here is much needed
    @excelsior12309 – I have added you to the pocket list for moral support

RESOLVE, Monday fasters! 💪🎯

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @at

Day 4 USA/Hawai’i CD
    Having lunch with friends today. Hoping a salad with protein will be on the menu to make this a control calorie day. Also ZBC today should help. I will get in a FD500 this week but haven’t decided which day will be best.
    My goal is to log in everyday this month and get in 2 FD800 or 500 each week. Best wishes to all.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @at
    @maui

Day 4 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Yep @at, tonic is the way to go… 😂 looks like a g&t but doesn’t feel like one (or many) the next day… 👍

Welcome back @lilymartin ⭐️

Sorry I’m rushing to post again… and have not read the posts today but adding myself to the very healthy pocket list.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @merry 🍎
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @at
    @maui
    @jaifaim

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800 – 161.6

It was a fun weekend, but lots of unexpected nibbling, some from lack of control and some from events I was at (where, truth to tell, the nibbling was also from lack of control…), so as I was waking up this morning, facing the unpleasant weight I’m carrying (just 4 lbs shy of where I started February 26, 2020), I concluded I must make changes. I’ve been saying that for several months now, and take initial steps, but then lose the impetus. So this morning’s resolve is to post my weight daily, regardless of how embarrassing it feels; my thought is, if it’s not embarrassing enough to force my behavior to change, then it’s not truly embarrassing, and I should own it.

The other thing I thought about, trying to figure out the difference between two years ago, when I was losing weight, and now, when I’ve been gaining weight, is that two years ago I posted even on the weekends, nearly without fail. Busy? Too bad, I had an obligation…to myself, is how I think I saw it, actually. So, whatever the busy-ness I have going on, I’m going back to posting 7 days a week.

And all that led to the conclusion that, just as @at commented, the excesses of the weekend make clear the need for a FD today. But since tomorrow will be a WF, I’ll make today a FD800 so that I’m not setting myself up for a truly tough tomorrow.

@merryapple Wow, a hangover, a fun birthday party: you are suddenly very social… sounds like some of my weeks, and we know where they got me! Are things tamed down this week so you can once again employ your impressive RESOLVE?

@jaifaim It strikes me that a low cal evening because of no gf options is a wonderful thing…for the first time, a gluten intolerance has its appeal! Okay, not really, but it was sure a useful tool at that particular party, wasn’t it? I hope all your busy-ness is going well and isn’t also stressful!

@metatauta I’m so impressed you’re close to maintenance and are staying there so well.

@funshipfreddie You are such a good encourager (I’m thinking of your words to @flourbaby), and I LOVE “Now for a Feast Day” as an attitude to avoid.

@at Wow, your snow sounds like a midwest snow event! Is it finally melted now? We’ve had almost no snow so far, and none that impacted roads or sidewalks in any discernable way.

@jennifer40 I’m also a ZBC gal, and have been for decades now, but protein is likely to be satisfy you the most without causing hunger sooner than you want.

@maui Your time with your houseguest is sounding so delightful, and very helpful as well.

@lilymartin It’s so good to have you back! I mean, not good that you have a weight reason to be back, but just your chatter, LOL! As to your goal for December, that’s a huge goal even for a non-holiday month; how will you accomplish that? I’m curious because I’d LOVE to lose that much weight in one month, LOL!

It’s so lovely having so many back in the fold; chattering is my favorite part of this group, LOL!

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @merry 🍎
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @at
    @maui
    @jaifaim
    @stitchincarol FD800

We still have only one tree in place, and it’s not decorated. Getting up the other (we do artificial trees) and decorating them both has to be what DH and I accomplish today. Do you all do Christmas trees? When?

Have a grand one, everyone!

Oops today is a FD 👍👍

Day 5 NZ NFD 80.6kg

Thank you but there really should NOT be any sympathy for someone with a hangover… 🤣🤣 It opens the door to behaviour that is less than admirable 🤣🤣 and for this WoL. Note to self…
    I did have a good FD y’day although was quite hungry at one stage which doesn’t happen so often now. I signed my will and a living will y’day which should spur me on to squeaky clean living!!
    @lilymartin Great to have you back with us on/ in the wagon! The antipodeans are a bit thin on the ground… (I wish this were real not just a metaphor!) Your post made me check my lab results from earlier in the year which revealed elevated cholesterol. My BSL was highish normal. I need to get them rechecked and start proper exercise. Thanks for the reminder that we need to keep an eye on our health too.
    @excelsior12309 🤞for your Drs appointment and a clean bill of health!
    @at I saw the NE snow on the news – amazingly beautiful from afar. I’d have mulled wine and the Grogs out! (skiing drinks).
    @stitchincarol I have a busy day ahead preparing for a 4.5 hr road trip to Whakatāne tomorrow where our dear friend and activist Tame Iti is having a museum opening. The social life continues!! I do think posting my weight helps with accountability for my behaviour.
    @maui I am committed to my two weekly FDs as well. It’s easier to eat beautiful fresh vegetables and fruits as the days warm up.
    @jaifaim I need to take a leaf out of your book – looks like EtOH, tastes like EtOH, smells like EtOH but it isn’t EtOH!!
    Hope you’re managing work stress OK and they give you a Christmas bonus!🍀💵
    @funshipfreddie Do you consider Boo Boo a Mancunian cat? Just wondering?! Is there such a thing? I know there’s a Manx cat…

Here’s to Steely Resolve!!

Day 5 country west Australia 82.3 kgs ( yippee – thanks Cruella) CD today
    A ‘proper’ under 500 calorie FD done yesterday and the result is 1 kg down ( and yes I know all about water weight lost etc but just happy to see the scales going DOWN at this point.)
    @stithincarol, I too decided to post my weight with similar views to you.
    If I can’t lose weight and change my lifestyle for my health then perhaps shaming myself into it by daily recording my weight on the forum might be the kick start I need! I use the word ‘ shaming’ advisedly because I am at the very upper limit of overweight BMI and do not want to tip into the obese BMI.
    And I plan to reach my goal this month by fasting 2 days a week and eating sensibly on the other days.
    @merryapple I had a laugh at your ‘ …thin on the ground.’!!😆
    We Antipodeans will indeed be ‘thin’ on the ground by adopting this WOL.😇😇 ( no time frame as yet…)!
    I agree with others who say that daily posting here really helps. It certainly keeps me focussed and more aware of changing eating habits.
    @funshipfreddie I haven’t read Jason Fung’s book but may do in the future. Diabetes is such a problem worldwide and seems to be the ‘ elephant in the room ‘ in more ways than one….
    As you said fasting is good and it has been scientifically proven to be a most useful tool in lowering BSLs and having many other benefits for people’s health.
    If you look at films in the 50s to the 70s people were mostly slim or a ‘normal’ size. You rarely saw anyone who was overweight.
    Now it is the norm to see people who are overweight ( myself included) and quite rare to see slim people.😢
    @maui so sorry to her of all your losses. We did watch the bushfires at the time and it looked horrendous. Are you still working given your gallery was lost to the fires ?

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.8 kg

That was a REAL Monday pocket list! I hope everyone who was on it is feeling smug this morning, & maybe a tad lighter 😅 🎯

@stitchincarol – daily posting – yes! If nothing else, it can at least make us more likely to think about what we’ll eat today. No Christmas trees at my place. When I was working I always worked long hours over Christmas. People just couldn’t wait to lose those Xmas bonuses at the tables 😂 Now I’m retired I usually go away Christmas week. I guess I could drape some tinsel around my ficus tree..? 🎄

@merryapple – Boo Boo’s just a common tabby with a bad attitude. I’m the Mancunian; well, ex-Mancunian I suppose. But I think Maine Coons are also called Mancunians? Those large, long-haired cats; they’re gorgeous & very intelligent.

I’ve reported the dodgy post from @grace18 – so rude?! 😳

Day 5 – USA/GA – ?

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Didn’t think yesterday would turn into a FD, but one never knows. Invited to speak at the event and partake in lunch, so, that was that. Mom also had supper. So, we’ll see how today goes. Not planned as a FD either — I have a grand opening of a local non-profit to attend, again at lunchtime. Not sure what to expect.

Still, my gain over yesterday was only 1 1/4 lbs, so not bad at all. I feel like I may be leaning into the curve again. Whew.

Day 5 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾
    I’m bobbing up again… not sure why but I’m going to go easy on myself this month..

What a pocket list there was yesterday ⭐️⭐️

@lilymartin I just read your post and how injust to come back from the healthy week at the same weight and.. with Covid 🥲 there really is often no rhyme or reason… lattes and milky coffees are my no.1 thing to cut down on now… find this so hard though as have had to cut so many other things…
    So glad to have you back and you will be at 80kgs and under soon 💪
    @funshipfreddie I have a friend who has been diagnosed with diabetes recently and would rather take the drugs than cut down on the alcohol and treats … really the doctors should try educate to people better to tailor their lifestyle and diet before resorting to medication…
    @at the Lake District looked beautiful with the snow.. just gorgeous ♥️
    @maui I’m trying to keep up the daily posting even if just a very brief hello 👋
    @stitchincarol I’m messing up my great weekly efforts on the weekends and I’m not sure how to be honest…but I must pay attention.. a lot of GF food is so sugary and calorific but yes I did not have any of the party food on Friday night so that was a win 🥇😄

Bravo @metatauta on staying so focussed!

@merryapple I had to look up the abbreviation would you believe 😄 yes I think Tonic will be my drink of choice for the Christmas period… it’s better than non-alcoholic options… so that’s my plan 👍
    Current busy times are down to personal pressures rather than work but of course it impacts on the working day so just trying to manage it all… thanks so much for the thoughts but yes will be expecting a decent thank you from work this Christmas as it has been a busy busy year..
    Ok speaking of which… back to work I go.

Stay focussed everyone! We’ve got this.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 5 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD – 159.2

Yesterday was a little hard, because I got a little hungry and am so unused to the discipline of a FD (as opposed to a WFD, when I’m entirely gone from the house all day), but I’ve done enough regular FDs over the years that, simultaneously, I found it rather easy–like getting back in the saddle, you know?

And it was the required discipline of the day that made me realize something: I think the flaw of WFDs for me (@funshipfreddie, you’ve always been suspicious of them, haven’t you?) is that they require so much less discipline (oddly enough, but true, for me at least because of doing them on piano-teaching days) that they are partly responsible for my abandon, my lack of discipline, on NFDs. I’m not entirely sure, and don’t want to take the time to search out the answers, but I think when I started doing WFDs is when I started the slow slide back up…not because they are inherently bad somehow, but because I lost my discpline skill since WFDs are so much easier when I’m gone all day than a FD500 is when I’m home all day. So does that mean I’m going to abandon WFDs? Not likely, because I love them. I think I will absolutely add in a FD every Monday, however; I’ll see how today goes, hunger-wise, after only 762 calories yesterday, and then decide what to do.

@merryapple I’m thinking about a 4.5 hour road trip, and then the opening, and am wondering if you’ll stay the night, or drive home again. Either way, it’s a big event and I’m sure you’ll have great fun!

@lilymartin I’m not quite shaming myself–I’m much too stubborn for that to work with me, LOL–but it’s truly an issue of embracing my weight or rejecting it, but not hiding it. So, I’m embracing my weight by owning up to it, and my desire is to reject it by eating appropriately to lose weight. So far, I’m succeeding, but it’s only been one day that I’ve again started posting my weight, LOL. But, I have to comment on that wonderful week you pulled off that didn’t drop any weight from you, AND gave you Covid. Not at all fair or lovely, huh?

@funshipfreddie Thanks for reporting that post, and I’m indeed feeling a significant level of smugness after yesterday’s FD. 😇

@jaifaim The challenge of enjoying life but also eating with discipline is not for the faint of heart. Most of the time, I feel quite…plump….but, then, I remind myself that, while my pants are a different size, I’m still wearing dresses, tops and sweaters that are the same size. Does that mean my body is an acceptable size? No, because those things used to be lose and now they’ve lost that looseness. But they are the SAME THINGS; many people I know couldn’t possible wear the same things they wore ten, twenty, and thirty years ago. I’ll bet that’s the same for you. So, while we may not always succeed as we want to, we succeed somewhat at the very least, and that’s to our credit. Your 155 will show up again.

Okay, I have some piano bookkeeping to do before I leave this morning, so must get at it. Have a grand one, everyone!

Pocket List Day 5 🎄
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 5 – checking in

Have to give greetings to all — yes, I am still alive and kicking. Actually, busier than ever with getting ready to move sometime, we hope in January but more likely February whenever the house is done. We’re building a new one… yes, dozens and dozens of decisions.

I had a horrible weight gain on Sunday (almost all water retention) but did a FD yesterday and lost 4 pounds overnight. Very happy for that. Off to give my pint of blood shortly.

Still at the high end of what I want in maintenance, but hanging in there!

hugs to you all — Gwynne

Day 5 – UK – NFD

Feeling a bit of PFDS today @funshipfreddie as I did struggle but managed to come in below a FD800

Lovely walk with the regular gang today……sunshine and most of the snow from the weekend has disappeared – you would not believe that we had over a foot of snow on Saturday!!

Tonight is our walking/running group xmas night out so it definitely will not be a FD – have tried to keep most of my TDEE for tonight but may well come in over that amount depending on how much 🥂 is consumed????

Just made a batch of raspberries flapjack for OH to enjoy after his runs….going to have a shower then a relax before going out at 6pm….trying to get my mindset right to only having small servings of food and wine this evening but not sure it’s going to work 🤣

Good luck to @stitchincarol for your WFD today

Catch up tomorrow

Day 5 USA/Hawaii CD
    Yesterday’s CD worked pretty well. Although, eating lunch out and also having a coffee later in the afternoon made it a bit of a challenge… especially when a large croissant filled with chocolate appeared at the table..lol Thankfully it was shared by three of us so damage was controlled. My 2 friends had joined me in visiting my DH’s final resting place and bringing fresh flowers. It had been 17 days since my last visit. This is a big change from going every few days. It felt ok so I think this is a good thing. I try to feel him with me all the time. Acupuncture yesterday was helpful… my energy is getting better.
    Sounds like everyone here is putting forth positive actions and staying on our shared journey. Good to see familiar names returning. 🤗

Day 6 NZ 80.4kg

This is possibly a FD since I’m setting off soon on a cup of coffee rather than my usual tea. I might not have the opportunity for another FD this week since it will be quite a gathering over the next couple of days and I’ll end up in the kitchen!! I’m away for up to 4 days, I think. I’m playing it a bit by ear with Mr Mac as my somewhat unreliable co-pilot…
    I’m so close to the 70s it’s killing me! And I have Xmas parties to go to when I get back…😁.
    Where I’m going is a berry growing area so I will hopefully come back with some for raspberry and blackberry jam😋.
    @funshipfreddie You make me laugh! Hang some gaudy baubles on your Ficus 🎄 and give Boo Boo something to go after!

Steely Resolve in amongst the fun!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply.