First fast day done!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Amy C. 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi all

Have just started the diet and have almost reached the end of my first fast day. Overall not too bad although am feeling a little light headed

Just wanted to ask, do most of you skip a meal or spread your calories out over the course of the day? I had breakfast lunch and dinner but managed to keep it under 600kcals.

What generally works best, having a big(ish) breakfast and then nothing until evening or do people save all their calories for their evening meal?

I was thinking of having a 150kcal breakfast, miso for lunch and then a 400kcal evening meal.

Also, what have people found best to have for breakfast??

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and well done for reaching the end of your first fast in one piece, I had a splitting headache by the end of mine, it was awful!

I have gravitated towards saving the majority of my calories for my evening meal and using about 50 for splashes of milk in my tea whenever I am struggling. If I eat early in the day then I tend to be starving for the rest of the day but the longer I hold off the better i can cope with the fast.

Try experimenting each week with a different method and you’ll soon find the one that works best for your own needs.

Keep us posted.

Hi ecfc29.

I’m maintaining now, but when 5:2ing I ate twice a day (11.30ish and 6.30 – 7.30ish). Some people do breakfast and evening, some evening only, some 3 meals. It has to be what suits you, but I don’t recall hearing anyone having breakfast only. I think most people find it easier to sleep with something in their belly.

My advice on breakfast (and actually all fast day meals) would be to avoid processed carbohydrates and sugars as they increase cravings and hunger. I eat full fat natural yoghurt (unsweetened) with fruit for my first meal and find it surprisingly filling. But eggs are great for filling me up and keeping me going also.

I also felt light headed and a bit shaky later on during my first couple of fast days, but your body should quickly get used to it. It gets easier! I did resort to a few almonds on occasion just to settle me down if I felt too peculiar.

As gillybilly says, you need to find a pattern of eating that works for you. Everyone’s different and no one size fits all. Luckily 5:2 is very flexible with very few rules.

Good luck.

Hi ecfc29 and welcome to the forums. You will soon see that many posters have worked out what is best for them in terms of the 5:2 way of life. Research the forum over the next few weeks and check out the FAQ section. Also check out the forums posters by clicking on their name and checking out previous posts. There is a wealth of brilliant advice around. In answer to your questions I can only tell you what works for me. I am a 66 yr old male and have been on the 5:2 off and on for some 19 months with weight loss ranging from a high of 23 lbs down to 14 lb. For my fast days I miss breakfast and have lunch between 11.00 am. and 1. 00 pm. This is usually porridge with water, a little milk and a small piece of fruit. This is around 200 cals. I then have my 2nd and last meal between 6.00pm and 7.00pm. This is always a Marks and Spencer “Fuller Longer” or “Count on Us” ready meal which includes my protein fix for the day. This ready meal comes in around 400 cals which I pad out with extra veg to bring it up to the 400 cal mark. During the day I also take on lots of water. This works for me. It may not work for others. At present I have been on 4:3 for two weeks. The reason is that both my wife and 39 yr old daughter are doing the 4:3. My daughter has lost 9 lb in 4 weeks and my wife 5 lb in two weeks. It is quite easy for us but not for all. Basically do what suits you. Change days, change the way you plan your meals, if you miss a day or fall off the wagon, pick another day. Over all I prescribe my approach to the K.I.S.S. approach – Keep it Simple Stupid. (Me, not you).
    Good luck, keep us updated.

Hi again ecfc29.

I realised I should have said that the health benefits of fasting appear greatest with longer fasting (no food) windows in addition to calorie restriction. So fitting in maybe a 16hr + period with no calories may be beneficial. It is the longer fast that gets you into fat burning mode, lowers insulin, etc.

So I guess how you eat will also depend on what you want to achieve.

Hi ecfc29. Did my first 5/2 diet day yesterday and although I sailed quite happily through the day I kept waking up all through the night with gnawing stomach. I couldn’t last out all day without food and I divided my calories between three mini meals. I notice a lot of people on this site say it gets easier or I guess they get wiser in planning their day. Will do my second fast on Friday (we usually have curry and alcohol on Friday) as visiting friends on Thursday. Good luck, I’m sure it will be worth it!

Homer:

I have the night time hunger reduced by eating almost all the calories close to bedtime. It helps, but I still don’t sleep very well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.