First day today!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ramseep 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• After reading the book yesterday, I have decided to give this a try. I have been training for the last 3 months with a personal trainer and while I have reduced my sweet and fat intake most days of the week, I have not lost any major weight but getting very toned! My trainer has suggested calorie cycling, but i think that this 5:2 may be better for me.

So I started today and it’s now 1.11 PM and my hunger is starting to creep in. I will drink some more herbal tea to keep it at bay, but all in all it’s not as bad as I thought it would be. For brekkie I had half Smart Bagel with 1 tbs of salmon cream cheese spread. At lunch I had a small gala apple and before I leave for the school run I will have 1 cup home make pop corn to keep me going till dinner. Dinner will be stir fried chicken breast With cashews and broccoli. I have input it all into my fitness pal to ensure I am keeping within my 500 cals.

I am determined to get it to 2 meals only a day as this seems to have better results for others. Wish me luck people.

Hi Ramseep and welcome:

Your eating plan is very high in carbs. Many people find that one high fat/protein meal in the evening is best, with second choice being two high fat/protein meals. You will need to experiment to see what works best for you.

The way 5:2 works is you go to bed, get up, eat 500 or fewer calories during your waking hours, go to bed, get up and eat to your TDEE or less – twice a week. On all 7 days of the week you can eat foods you want to eat – there are no forbidden foods, or foods you have to eat. For the first month or so focus on doing your diet days correctly (500 calories or less) and most everything else will fall into place.

Here is what TDEE means: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

And here are some tips for beginners: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Thank you simcoeluv for your advice. When you say that I am consuming too many carbs, is there a certain percentage of carbs, fats, proteins that I should be keeping too? I will also look at this on the other threads.

Hi Ramseep:

You can see the establishment slowly going toward a higher fat allocation with the grudging acknowledgement that a Mediterranean type diet with its 30% allocation for fat may be OK. The current thinking for the best allocation for human health, however, is 10-15% carbs, 15-25% protein, and 60-70% fat, with the majority of the fat being saturated fat, and no trans fats or fats from vegetable oils.

Most people are unaware that most carbs are pretty much unnecessary for human health or survival.

Ok I will read up more on this. Thanks. I have survived day 1 of fast day. Next day is Thursday. Not as bad as I thought but will definitely need some more willpower.

Hi Ramseep:

Here is a speech by a professor at a medical school and former head of the cardiac division of one of the best medical centers in the U.S He is a poor speaker, but the info is solid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe9z32NZHY

It may help.

Hello Ramaeep, if you just cut down on refined and/or white carbs you should be fine. Bread, potatoes, rice and pasta should not be banished but reduced considerably and if you can avoid processed foods then you will be doing yourself a huge favour irrespective of weight loss. You could also try skipping breakfast to reduce the number of hours during which you consume food as a lot of folk find that helps. Hope you do well.

Hello Michaelfan

I actually did this today on my second fast day and think I prefer this. Usually I find it difficult to eat brekkie too early anyways, so I felt sticking to that norm would be better. I train at the gym Mon, Wed, Friday so i usually would have a later brekkie / early lunch at about 10:30 /11. Then usually I have dinner around 6pm.
    I have given up snacking, replacing with tea or sometimes fruit.

I am a follower of Ayurveda which is a the traditional Hindu system of medicine, which is based on the idea of balance in bodily systems and uses diet, herbal treatment, and yogic breathing. It also involves a concept of light to stronger fasting to keep the bodies ‘Agni’ or fire in balance and to detoxify. This 5:2 method is similar to this, but more commercialized. I have fasted before so it’s not a New concept to me. The ‘bad’ carbs make me very hungry indeed so I am trying to replace the with better options. Today was not bad at all. I did feel hungry but not as much as Tuesday.

I will keep going and look forward to continued support.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.