Feeling terribly guilty about food.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Feeling terribly guilty about food.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Manders74 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Hello everyone!

I did my first fast day yesterday. It went well and I felt very much in conrol around food. I had my 500 kcals in the evening. However, after not eating until three this afternoon (I don’t do brekkies and didn’t have time for lunch today – too much work!) I wolfed down a huge pile of buttery eggy bread with the children! It was lovely to sit and eat with them but I had no control over portion size and now I feel guilty, lousy, fat and very sluggish. Anyone been where I am?
    Thanks in advance xx
    I’m not sure this has come across in the way I meant it to. The thing is that I shouldn’t feel guilty. It’s normal food but food that I’ve avoided like the plague for yonks. I can’t get my head around not living on salads (do love salad though) , jacket spuds NO BUTTER etc. Oh never mind… I don’t seem to be able to find the words!

hi there, i get where your coming from, as you do the plan you will start to see the results and feel better about food choices, and i have found mine have changed loads, ive stopped craving so many bad foods and now turn to more heathly options.
    good luck and keep going x

Thank you! It’s all a bit confusing after years of brainwashing at Weightwatchers etc…

Hi Chrissie, I think I understand. I spent many years feeling bad about every delicious morsel I put in my mouth, wondering how many calories it had and how much fatter I’ll get. I don’t do that anymore – I fast 2 days a week and I have learned to enjoy food the other 5 days – no more guilt! I’m losing weight, feeling good and getting ready to make a peach crumble we will enjoy this weekend. After a couple of weeks you’ll see what I mean and you’ll enjoy your afternoon snacks with your children. And as fast for life wrote, you’ll probably find out your portions of buttery eggy bread will get smaller, because your cravings will diminish. Sounds like your first fast was a success, great for you! All the best and let us know how you’re doing.

ChrissieinBrittany & 2 all

i was the same especially bread. all bad carbs really

on fast days i reduce 2 25% all recipes below

now if i want a white pizza

i get shredded wheat & bran the little squares 1 cup
    (which is the highest whole grain and the least expensive of all those organic whole food products & has no salt)

in a pot below medium low heat heat
    i melt
    fat free ricotta 1/4 cup
    1 tablespn parmesan
    1/4 low fat part skim mozzarella
    add the basil oregano garlic

pour cheese in bowl and top it w/ shredded wheat squares add spinach or cayenne or kale or chicken sausage tomato paste etc. i like it better than pizza it is so nice & crunchy & delicious.

same thing instead of nacho cheese doritos (still working on the spices anyone have suggestion)

shredded wheat & bran the little squares 1 cup

grate all below

baked kale chips
    romano dry
    mexican cheese blend
    chili powder
    cayenne pepper

shake in covered bowl

hot dog

shredded wheat & bran the little squares 1 cup

mix all below

chicken sausage cut w/ scissors into small pieces
    dijon mustard
    onions

pour all and top it w/ shredded wheat & bran

if u do nut top the shredded wheat & bran it will be soggy if on the bottom

if i want bread and that crunchy bite

add no salt butter to shredded wheat & bran

my best fastday breakfast now

is
    1-3 little squares shredded wheat & bran

use scissors 2 cut all up

1 med egg no fat or salt
    3 cups of romaine or mixed salad
    1/2-1 tablspn of fat-free caesar (still trying 2 do a good homemade)

fills u up

and the new thing is freeze-dried stuff

as u can c i luv crunchy things & not really crunchy celery as much

wish u success

please if anyone have creative ways of replacing those cravings

in a healthy way
    please input

Thanks all!

Chrissie…that appears to be the beauty of his programme. Food is back to being viewed as energy for your body and not pigeon-holed into all the good and bad labels. When I read your initial post and saw the “pile of eggy bread” comment…it is sad that through all the various diets/programmes we have been brainwashed into thinking food is our enemy. I am hoping to rest and wish you the best of luck, too!

Chrissie…just looked up the calories in a slice (2 halves) of eggy bread…149. Assuming you didn’t eat 10 of them at a go…you are probably fine 🙂

With butter and all? Wow! Not so bad. I had 2 thick slices of homemade bread like that so it may be a bit more and I was more up at 500 cals for the two.
    Thanks.

Well…butter (1 teaspoon) is roughly 25 calories…and syrup is 50 calories per tablespoonful. So figure 149 x 2 + 75 = about 373 or therabouts.

One of the things that other diets do that make me a bit crazy is act like food is the enemy instead of energy to power our bodies~ and the unspoken rule of

“If it tastes good it must be horrible for you.”

Take a caramel apple for instance.
    Their approach seems to be 1 medium apple = very good for you.

BUT…1 medium apple with less than a 16th of an inch of caramel sprinkled with a tablespoon of chopped nuts (which is protein btw) suddenly is HORRIBLE (and it is implied that you are a horrid person for even wanting such a disgusting thing)

(they don’t mention anything about the stick…which is a good source of fiber I suppose…jk)

It is ridiculous!

The whole mind set…sets us up for failure. Over and over. We feel deprived. Hungry. We end up grossly exaggerating the calories in anything we’ve been brainwashed into thinking is BAD. Making you believe that this Cupcake for example is 75 Gazilliondy Calories…when it is (in fact) 370.
    Can I eat 12 of them.
    No.
    Can I occasionally eat one with coffee?
    Sure.
    As long as when I choose to have one I don’t eat bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, juice and coffee as well.

So here’s to US…and success with what may possibly be the end of yo-yo dieting!

I really hope so. There’s a lot of mental adjusting to be done!

Hi,

I take what Michael and Mini say literally. On feast days, you can eat “anything” you want. I have just added the next sentence. You can’t eat “everything” you want. So if you crave pizza eat a slice or two of pizza, just don’t eat the whole pizza.

What I LOVE about this diet is it’s simplicity. I don’t have to think about food on feast day. And of course I try NOT to think about food on fast days.

From reading posts on this forum, it seems that many people want to make it harder. They talk about TDEE when I see no reason for it. Seems that they are just trying to eat more than the 500/600 calories the diet allows. They worry about what they eat on feast days. Just forget about all of those things. Eat the number of calories you are supposed to have on fast days and the only thing you have to think about on feast days is “don’t pig out”.

Really on this plan, the less you think about food the better.

Quick

Hello, Quick – I think a lot of the people who investigate their TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) may fall into the category of ‘I’m keeping strictly to the 500/600 cal limit on my fast days and yet I’m not losing any weight! What am I doing wrong?’. I get the impression, too, that some people start out with very little idea of the calorific value of their everyday eating and don’t have any accurate understanding of what quantity and what type of food constitutes a healthy intake compared to the excess that you refer to as pigging out. Others just know that their eating is ‘out of control’. For individuals who feel they fit these sort of groupings, then, I think, learning more about their food, monitoring their habits and counting their actual total of calories over, say, a whole week can be really valuable, otherwise they’re running blind.
    You are following this eating plan primarily for the health benefits but it seems clear that, for many others, weight-loss is crucial and is the thing that most motivates them to adopt the 5:2 approach. I am struck by the number of people who have had good results in this respect for their first few weeks or, perhaps, a month or two but who then plateau, get ‘stuck’ or even have their weight yo-yo-ing up and down by a few pounds from week to week.
    Some of this might be explained by the natural human tendency to ‘ease off’ and get too casual in one’s efforts after a while but I’m not convinced that’s the whole picture. I’ve recently been studying things like insulin resistance and the effects that our eating habits have on the numerous hormones which control the complex balance of our biology and it seems evident that the usual mantras of ‘balancing calories in and calories out’ or ‘eat less/exercise more’ are far too simplistic.
    Quite a lot of contributors to this forum already have diagnoses of conditions like under- or over-active thyroid or diabetes, etc. I think it likely that some others of us, without knowing it, may already be experiencing hormonal disturbances – things like insulin resistance or leptin resistance – which effect one’s capacity to lose weight. (Leptin is the hormone that tells your body it has had enough to eat.)
    As I understand it, from my limited reading so far, one of the prime causes of such systemic disturbances is an unhealthy diet: most especially excess sugars (including artificial sweeteners), starches, and un-natural fats – one simple phrase: too much processed food.
    Just reducing the quantity of one’s food is not enough – there needs to be a change in the type of food consumed.
    Happily, many people on the 5:2 Diet do report that, because of their positive experiences of fasting, they are turning, quite naturally, to healthier options and they no longer enjoy the heavy feeling they get from certain stodgy foods.
    Whilst I have no wish to scare anyone into thinking they may be ill, it bothers me that too many people are not getting the weight-loss results they were hoping for and expecting, having done ‘all the right things’ and they are left with no idea why it’s not happening. I think it is reasonable to say that, at the moment, the ‘eat whatever you like’ simplicity of 5:2 Intermittent Fasting is failing them.

(For information, here are the names of some of the health practitioners whose works I have been reading: (from the USA) Dr Mark Hyman, Dr Ritamarie Loscalzo, Dr Joseph Mercola; and (from the UK ) Dr John Briffa)

I haven’t weighed myself for ages and don’t intend to. It’s how I feel in my clothes that will matter and… avoiding, if possible, the dreadful disease that took my parents.

Thanks Jeanius…your response was so much nicer than anything I could formulate to Quick.

Quick…I am happy that your approach to the 5:2 is working for you. There are many reasons that many of us are counting calories on both the fasting and non-fasting for a while. But I daresay none of them is about “eating piggish” or trying to slip in extra calories. And it was rude to infer as much.

I think it’s easy to feel guilty if you feel too full even if you ate healthily. Yesterday I had a 155cal breakfast that gave my 3 of my 5 a day veg but I was so satisfied after I STILL felt a little guilty and craved the hunger that was to come. Counting calories can be positive when it stops you beating yourself up about something that doesn’t ruin your hard work. That’s what I love about this diet. Those hunger days make you feel so positive that you are taking control.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.