Fat Busting Brits!!

This topic contains 34,947 replies, has 404 voices, and was last updated by  Brads27 5 hours, 59 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,451 through 4,500 (of 35,434 total)

• Morning everyone. Last NFD before I both weigh in and fast tomorrow. On the one hand that makes me want to eat everything in sight so I’m ‘stocked up’…but the thought of not weighing in successfully makes me want to be ridiculously careful! Still, I have a wedding today which will be a nice distraction (not going to one, taking one, so no temptations!)
    Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Morning All,

Lovely lazy day today in the sun maybe a few jobs cutting grass and cleaning car or maybe not.

After my eating day yesterday I feel quite crap…I deserve that! You feel what you eat…I haven’t done that for awhile…it proves healthy eating is far better for you.

A picnic day is not good …started me eating more at lunchtime then spirals out of control…next time I must rethink what I take…not take like I always used to!!!

Ginette..
    The portion size goes back to the plates we were talking about a few weeks ago…9″ sounds a bit small though. Maybe we all should lower and downsize!

I have my bag of Wethers originals…100g = 19 sweets 424 calories…we make that 22 calories each?

Enjoy your fish cakes sound lovely.

Meli…
    Your TDEE is what you don’t go over on your NFD…to loose more weight try and keep well under…I do about 1200/1300 calories on a NFD but still gives you leeway if you need to use more. My TDEE is about 1800 but never get up to that…I might have yesterday with the pork pie..lol..lol…l hope that helps.

As Ginette said ..we are doing a 800 and 2 X 500 days for six weeks to kick start a few of us who have lapsed a bit..

Coffee..
    Glad you had a good FD and with lots of visitors too.

Minols..

Have a good FD today …I am going to have a 800 to pull me back.. Are you a vicar or photographer at the wedding ? Interesting…

Hemmy..
    Have a good weekend with Kirsty and Mum…a lazy day…

Audrey..
    Safe journey..have a good holiday….

Have a lovely sunny weekend all

Jean x

Hi all

Got to caravan safe and sound. Had a quick weigh in before i set off looking good for Tuesday weigh in if I behave myself. .

Have a good weekend will post weight on Tuesday.

Audrey

Hi,

Stopped for lunch….we have got the two lawns cut and strimmed….watered the front looking a bit brown!

Having crumpets and a cuppa.

Car to clean after lunch…back lawn to water and bird trays to clean and feeders to fill.

Good deed this morning a swallow knocked out on lawn covered in blood…..we put him in the cat carry box for a couple of hours to rest and blood to clot….after a bit of thought he few off out of the bedroom window…quite mobile and restless to go…

Audrey be good you are looking better than me this week….still I think everybody is!

Jean x

Hi Coffee

Yes, too small. I can imagine someone older eating these portions but not when we still have a good appetite.

Hi Mino

Yes stay strong it is not the time to give in now. Yes as Jean says your job is intriguing.

Hi Jean

I just went to measure my plates, took me two trips, the fist one I got an orange and as soon as I sat down I remembered the plates, 8.5 inches from edge to edge, of course you don’t fill a plate to the edges do you. I can have a nice full plate but this isn’t the same as my big plates, I will measure those later.

I know what you mean once we start eating sometimes it is difficult to stop. I am willing you to be good and at least lose one pound. I am hoping for a loss, it is showing up just over a 1lb at the moment. I know that water really does affect my weight. Knees and ankles swollen at the moment, I have also got a pain in my knee, looks like sea kelp will make an appearance for a few days. This is the change in weather. I am hoping that you will wee for England before Tuesday and therefore lose weight. X

It sounds as if you have been busy. That will all help. Well done for your rescue mission. Swallow and cat basket made me smile, hopefully no cat in it…..

Hi Audrey

Glad you seem on track. I hope you don’t get knocked too off course by barbecues.

Hi Hemmy

Hope you are having a good day.

Hi to everyone else. CC I hope your getting back on track and the mouse problem is sorted.

Afternoon all

Had a FD yesterday went over by 150 cals went to lunch with mum my plan was to just have coffee but ended up having warm chicken salad it was very nice apart from the creamy coleslaw which I left it was screaming leave me alone only had a little bit stuck to lettuce. Oh well it’s my first blip since I started the FBD, Been out shopping my gosh my mum eats rubbish fridge full of sweet treats. You can’t tell a 80 year old!!

Think we’re in for a thunder storm this afternoon.

Have a good weekend Lynda x

Thought this may be of interest Xx
    So here are 10 reasons why you should start eating fruit for breakfast:

1. Enhance The Detoxification Phase

Between 7 and 11am, the body is going through the heaviest phase of detoxification. Eating fruit will help contribute healing energy to this detoxification process, instead of hamper it by filling your body with anti-detox foods like fatty animal products that are hard to digest.

2. Perfect Way To Break Your Fast

Fruit is the best way to help “break the fast” as it is easy to digest and wakes up the metabolism with a steady influx of natural fruit sugars (all without the harsh adrenal-killing coffees and fatty meals).

3. Stimulate The Digestive Tract

Eating fruit for breakfast infuses the body with beneficial enzymes, fibre and prebiotics that help stimulate digestive juices in the stomach and push out old waste matter from the day before. Fruit fibre cleans the colon like a broom, leaving you feeling light and refreshed.

4. Wake Up The Body

Natural fruit sugars are just the thing the body needs upon waking up. Instead of reaching for your coffee, trying making a coffee replacement smoothie that will help keep the brain sharp and energized. Remember, the brain runs off glucose, so if you want to stay focused throughout the day, then eat a nice big water-dense fruit meal for breakfast!

5. Lose Weight

Fruit provides the body with quality nutrition and also helps release excess toxins by pushing out old waste matter from the intestines. Eating plenty of fruit in the morning (and throughout the rest of the day) gets rid of excess toxicity and waste storage, which ultimately leads to weight gain in the end. Most people think that if they eat a heavy animal-protein rich meal in the morning that they will eat less later in the day – but this, in fact, has not been found to be true. People who consume a heavy meal in the morning also tend to eat heavier later in the day too, which contribute to inevitable weight gain.

6. Boost The Immune System

A smoothie for breakfast compared to bacon and eggs is a lot better for your immune system and overall health. Fruit is high in vitamin C and antioxidants, which strengthen the immune system and ward off any invading bacteria and microbes. Ever since I’ve gone high-fruit, low-fat raw vegan, I rarely get sick (maybe once a year if that – and usually due to stress or lack of sleep).

7. Create An Alkaline Environment For The Body

The first thing people think when they eat fruit is that it is too acidic – this is in fact not true. Lemons are actually one of the most alkaline fruits on the planet! They may be acidic in form, but once they reach the stomach, the minerals (like potassium and sodium) disassociate to make it alkaline (via a variety of metabolic processes). All fruit is alkaline, so make sure you eat plenty of it in the morning if you normally eat a Standard American Diet.

8. Feel Full and Satisfied

You might not think that fruit would make you full, but it really does! There is so much fibre in fruit, plus the vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients that tell the brain it’s satisfied and to shut off the hunger signal to the stomach. Make sure you eat enough fruit to feel full – it might take a bit of practice to fit in a 6-mango breakfast but in the end, you’ll feel full, satisfied, and not bogged down by any excess energy used for digestion.

9. Strengthen The Heart

Fruit is packed with beneficial vitamins, minerals, crucial phytonutrients and antioxidants that contribute to lower cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure – both of which contribute to a healthier, stronger heart and prevent against cardiovascular disease.

10. Banish Belly Bloating

The fibre in fruit will push out old waste matter in the digestive tract and get rid of lower-belly bloating. In addition, eating water-dense fruits like watermelon (that also act as a natural diuretic) will help flush out excess sodium from the body by encouraging urination. The faster you get out the salt, the sooner you’ll stop holding onto so much excess water weight!

Very interesting Hemmy…

Strange I have been eating fruit for three weeks..yesterday thought for a change have my cornflake and strawberry breakfast.

I was hungry and ate all day! It was a disaster…a good job it was my Friday off day!

Must have something to do with the fruit. I just like the freshness it gives you and of course low calories helps.

Grapefruit cut ready to go tomorrow….
    X

For the curious – definitely not a wedding photographer…don’t have the patience! I’m a church minister – always feel the need to specify as the kids in school sometimes get confused and call me the Prime Minister, and once or twice when an adult asks what I do, and I say ‘minister’ they ask what government department. Seriously! Anyway, it means I get to help people with getting married, and more importantly, getting prepared to be married – which I love.
    FD tomorrow – hoping to purge the Chinese takeaway!

Im sorry hemmy but most of that stuff you quote about fruit is just plain wrong or providing the opposite of what you want it to accomplish. Don’t get me wrong I love fruit but if your goal is to lose weight then it is something to be had in moderation and under no circumstances should you make smoothies!! All the goodness that fibre provides will have been destroyed. You might as well just get 100g or sugar and eat it, same effect.

My wife has episodes of hypoglycaemia (we don’t know why). Yesterday she had an episode, was sweaty, giddy and ready to pass out. I measured her blood glucose and it was 1.9mmol/L (dangerously low). I gave her a glass of orange juice. Measured her blood glucose after waiting two minutes. It had jumped up to 3.9mmol/L, still a little low but not dangerous. That is how fast the sugars in OJ enter the blood stream!!

Point 2 just had me cringing. The body utilises glucose NOT fructose for its energy needs. Sure fruit contains both, but the fructose component is sent straight to the liver and MUST be process and stored as fat. It can not be utilised directly as a fuel source. Sure the glucose is the one that is utilised for energy production but you only need the equivalent of two tea spoons circulating in your blood!! The rest must be stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles, maybe a total of 200g if you have completely depleted your glycogen reserves (unlikely unless you have water fasted for 2-3 days). Once your glycogen stores are full all the excess glucose must be processed by the liver and stored as fat. Nothing like getting your pancreas working super hard to produce all that insulin to bring down your blood glucose.

If you must have lots of fruit (NOT smoothies) eat whole fruit, never juice and choose low sugar fruits like berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries cranberries etc) or rockmelon (cantaloupe) or plums. Under no circumstances have dried fruits, only whole fruits.

Hi symba,

So you had cornflakes with strawberries and I can only assume you had milk with it as well? So you had super highly refined carbohydrates (cornflakes) with strawberries (glucose + fructose) and milk (lactose). You really like your sugar, what a triple whammy. And then wondered why you struggled for the rest of the day. Your poor pancreas must have been working as hard as it could to produce enough insulin to bring down your blood glucose levels. Why not try a high fat low sugar yogurt for breakfast with some strawberries instead of cornflakes. Try it and see how you cope for the rest of the day compared to a cornflakes breakfast.

Ahh thanks for info on 800 day….i shall have a read of beach diet book as i only have fast diet book on my kindle. It was cheaper and quicker to get it on there but i dont like it much…..nothing beats an actual new book with new book smell!!!

Managed well today and Was very strict with myself so hopefully tomorrow goes ok and mondays weigh in is suxcessful! I lost 8lbs before starting this diet then put 3 back on so id love to push through that and have a new weight marker!

Love the birdy story too….we have a rescued canary in our living room. We have now had him nearly 2 years and wouldnt be without him 💞

Morning all

Hi meli
    Read a few reviews on the FBD book they say it’s the same as the FD diet book and don’t bother buying it but that’s up to you. X

Lynda x

Bigbooty..

It depends on what you read, on what you follow. There are so many conflicting and different views and advice.

Hemmy and myself feel much better eating the fruit and we have both read up on lots of different articles. We don’t drink smoothies at all and eat whole fruit and only in a morning.

I feel much better than I have for a long time doing this. I feel it works for me.

We both know smoothies break down the fibre and you have to eat fresh fruit whole.

As I said my cornflakes was the first I had for three weeks and I really don’t eat them much now at all…it was a treat as this 5.2 and a way of life, and I just fancied them!…I agree with you they are not the best thing to eat.

No yogurt is not for me as I am allergic to it.

Each does it the way it which fits in and which article you are reading..

Morning All,

A lovely day again let’s hope it continues through the summer.

A bit of bedroom cleaning this morning before the sun gets hot. Getting the packing things together clothes and food..ready for the off tomorrow.

Meli and Lynda..
    I bought the FB book and you are right there are not a lot of things different, a few ideas here and there. It got me back on track again making you think again. Mimi says about cutting lunch out if going out on a evening or cutting calories down here and there. Calorie counting every day, weighing after each FD. The book off eBay was £3, to me. I enjoyed endorsing everything again..I wouldn’t pay full price.

Audrey…get the BBQ out make the most of it…enjoy..

Everybody have a good day

Jean x

Testing

Hi I am having problems posting ?

Lost posts! Testing

Lost posts testing!

Hi Big Booty

Thank you for your advice… very much appreciated. Thank you.

I never have smoothies or fruit juice.. only fruit whole.

It is very noticeable since just having the fruit till lunch time…

I have reaped the benefits of Weightloss… Mood swings being more even… Feeling fuller…. Skin feeling softer… No constipation at all…
    In all the fruit till lunch time for me is a win win.

Of course this just applies to me … as they say different strokes for different folks. Lol Xx

Hemmy..
    Applies to me also…everybody is so different and we try all different ways to suit our bodies..
    Have a lazy day with Mum and Kirsty before they depart again.

Well back on line I must of posted 10 posts non would list! Spam ware was to heavy they have adjusted it! They came back to help quick…well done to them on a Sunday as well.

Minols…
    What an interesting job…you were keeping us all guessing.
    Must be wonderful taking part in the weddings when it’s a wonderful happy day for people.

Ginette..
    Hope your knees and legs are a bit better, the hot weather won’t be good with water retention. I must find and buy some smaller plates, haven’t got to IKEA yet. I have found some on line but must get the tape out as they are in cms and I am in inches also being away next week I will have another think when I get back.

Looks like we are not cleaning we are going to a local village a few miles away they are having a 40’s week. We will just be looking …not dressing up today.

Have a good day all
    Jean x

Hi Hemmy and Symba,

Sorry if I came across rather too harshly. Yes the web is full of wrong information and self interest. You have to choose your information carefully. If its working for you then all good. As a complete aside I only recently found out what Dr Kellogg was trying to achieve when he came up with the concept of cornflakes. Im hoping you didn’t have cornflakes to curb the same “problem”. Ha ha.

Bigbooty…

You have made me laugh loads…..I didn’t know that…I will let the others chase the facts up…

I do love them but as I said not a lot these days ..and strangely I am not enjoying them as much! So I must be improving..lol..lol

X

Settling in the garden…

40’s day a bit of a flop glad we didn’t dress up….needs more organising shame really they could do loads…

X

Hi Lynda

If you go over just think how much better that us than a normal day and all will be well. I think it may be too late to get your Mum to change her ways, and to what purpose. It’s a difficult one. Both of my parents died before they were 80, Mum from Parkinson’s, thought to be triggered by a medication and Dad through smoking for years although he stopped 15 years before he died, I think too much harm had already been done.

Hemmy

I can certainly say that for me, it gets rid of waste products. I don’t eat a lot of fruit early, maybe just an orange then one or two pieces later. The first time for a long time that I haven’t had constipation. It took nearly three weeks to change but my body seems very efficient at getting rid of waste products.

Now obviously that fact that I have cut out the foods that aren’t good for me, well most of them. I am obviously listing weight as well. I agree that smoothies from fruit are good there was also an article about it yesterday I shall see if I can find it.

I thought I was going to have one thing and ended up having another at Pams, sausages with apple, not very nice. She got them to try. So still nearly had my fish cake…….. Just a small mouthful of my sons to tease me.

Thanks for the info on the fruit, even if it all yet 100% accurate for us I am sure that we can now things in there which are.

I hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Hi Jean

This is what the porridge did to me the other day and sweet things do that as well, apart from fruit. Awful to gave that trigger and keep wondering what else there is to eat. I suppose some breads do it. Granary especially my nice thick slice doesn’t do it though, strange that.

I had to take some ibuprofen as I went to bed last night, first time in months. I had my see kelp today so I am hopping this will help shift the excess water.

Mino

How lovely that the children get mixed up, must be an interesting job, one that gives a lot of comfort to others as well.

Let’s hope you have a nice loss, many of us weigh on a Tuesday, for me and Henmmy I think, it us so the excesses of Sunday have time to sort them out. I have a meal, normally a roast Sunday evening. So for me after a nice light fast day is good. I started 5:2 on a Thursday as I was worried that if I waited until Monday I might change my mind. Whilst on the FBD I have a look during the week as well, I find this encouraging.

Hi Bigbooty

We do welcome input from everybody but you have only posted on this thread twice and both times your points are negative. We believe in encouragement. While I agree in part with some of the points you have raised I think that if you are going to post here at least let us know something about yourself. Are you doing 5:2? Have you lost a lot of weight or had a lot to lose?

There are some sensisitive people on here sonetimes and it is a big step they have taken to join the forum and post. I have seen people leave because of negative comments. I left a thread myself because of some.

As I say this thread in particular as well as the forum is so that people can share their stories, meet like minded people and encourage and support others. Not to be negative. Please tell us your background and show your support for people here, not just be the giver of bad news. You may not realise that this is how you come across. No offence is meant by this but please put others feelings first.

Hi Meli

This is the second time for me on FBD. I would say it is very similar to the fast diet but stricter on NFDs. It encourages you to try and do another fast day, cut down on carbs, any unrefined foods, 50/50s which I have taken as processed food this means cutting out the rubbish, making meals from scratch. Cutting down on carbs and treats that we would have on a NFD and doing more exercise. Apart from that info I would say it’s not worth getting the FBD book, unless it helps you get back to basics. Oh I forgot and cutting out alcohol or cutting it right down if you are unable to do this.

I think some of us are choosing to have a day off, I do get tripped up sometimes who despite my best intentions will prepare food that I shouldn’t and don’t want to eat, sometimes I can avoid it, sometimes I can’t. It is hard to not eat a hot mess when it is being served up as you walk in the door, Pam also gets a little offended by this.

Here is one of the stories about Kellogs cornflakes that BB spoke about. I had difficult fis a link that I could even post, Jean I’m sure you know what I mean.

http://www.naturalnews.com/050939_corn_flakes_GMOs_sexual_behavior.html

Hi Jean

What a shame about your 40s day. It sounded as if it could be good fun. Looks like you have been having a testing day today with posts.

Try copying it before posting, tec on here is very efficient. Thanks Tec!!

Hi Dear friends

Sym what a shame about the 40s day. It would have been a wonderful day to meander around. Often these things are disappointing. Love anything to do with the 40s. What brave clever people they were .. making meals out of odd bits in the garden and a rabbit. Lol Read lots of books of those times. At the moment reading about Soho. Xx

Min .. what lovely experience’s you must have…. Surely they must ask you to partake of some cake and a glass of something. Lolol You could always save it for a non fast day Lol. Enjoy this wonderful day. Xx

Big Booty .. I am sure you only want to help us. No offence taken here .. we are a happy little band all aiming for the same.

Please join in with our little corner. How is 5-2 going for you and have you been doing it long? Xx

Mel .. Good luck with Monday weigh in. Xx

Having a nice easy day in the sunshine.

Sym … if you go early tomorrow safe travel both. xx

Gine hope Pam does no surprises with food today. lol Xx Well only good ones.

Hope our Aud is enjoying herself. Xx

Ginette..
    The 50/ 50.. I have been reading about it…any recipe which is made with 50% fat and 50% sugar, eg sponge cake, biscuits, donuts…..it makes it very additive…..that makes scones an option to eat 😇 Maybe one!
    Granary bread could be my downfall I enjoy every piece all at once!

Hemmy..
    We go to a few 40’s weekends and get dressed up and join in with our caravan friends, Pickering is very good but the last few years we have been to Woodall Spa which I think just has the edge, loads to do and still not covered everything over the last two years. The weathers has always been so kind to us.

Bigbooty..
    He has been with the forum a lot of years I remember him my first time around…please come and join us..

Granddaughter having her gommits in the morning..all a worry but I know she will be OK…three weeks to go and counting until they are here..I am getting excited..

We are nearly ready for the off ..very early, three hours drive would like to be there 12 ish before it gets full, we can choose where we pitch..in the sun..

Cooking a chicken on the BBQ for FD dinner tomorrow…I hope it works I have not done a full chicken before!,…

I will weigh in Tuesday and post…and try and stay on board! I am in a forest so may be later in the day depending on signal…maybe in a cafe!!

Jean X

I thought an interesting read

Fruit first thing

February 25th, 2013 .

“Some things you have to do every day. Eating seven apples on Saturday night instead of one a day just isn’t going to get the job done.” Jim Rohn

You can think of fruit as ‘the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant’, or as a delicious purpose-built snack for humans. However you like to think about fruit, one thing you can be sure of is that eating it in the morning instead of your usual breakfast is one of the quickest and easiest ways to reduce your overall daily calorie intake and lose weight.

Because raw fruit contains a high proportion of water and fibre it’s much easier to digest than other foods. It’s also full of enzymes that further assist in the digestion process. As soon as you cook, or process any food (including fruit), these enzymes are destroyed. Eating high-enzyme raw fruit in the morning gives your body something that can be quickly transferred into energy with less danger of being stored as fat.

There’s another benefit. The more time you leave between when you eat your dinner and when you eat complex carbs (ie bread/cereal/pasta, etc) again the better. For example, let’s say if you ate your dinner at 7pm, had only had fruit for breakfast, and then ate lunch at around noon that would be a massive 17 hours that you’ve rested your digestion and enabled your liver to get around to the all important task of… metabolising fat! Plus it would be 17 hours in your 24-hour day that you’re not eating things you shouldn’t. My theory is that these 17 hours of the night and day are the easiest time to cut calories. And, eating fruit in the morning instead of your regular breakfast is one really easy way to cut calories during these hours.

Fruit of course has many other wonderful properties. Because it’s easy to digest it has a cleansing and cooling effect on the body. This means it functions as an antidote to rich food and heavy meat-protein meals (like last night’s dinner). The alkaline property of fruit combined with its acids also stimulates the digestion and has a natural laxative effect. Yes! What this means is that you will almost certainly move your bowls soon after eating your fruit-only breakfast, if not before. And this is a very good thing if you want to lose weight and be healthy.

My recommendation to keep it yummy is to cut up at least 3-4 different fruits to make a healthy, appetising fruit salad. No muesli, no yoghurt, just fruit. Yum!

Word of warning: not all fruits are equal. Some fruits (like bananas and grapes) are full of sugars in the form of fructose. Whenever you buy and eat fruit make sure to select those from the less sweet, ‘low-carb’ end of the spectrum. Here’s a list of best choices to worst for you to print out and stick on your fridge.

Low carb (good)

Blackberries, raspberries, cranberries

Medium carb (okay)

Strawberries, melon, papaya, blueberries, watermelon, nectarines, apples, peaches, grapefruit, apricots, plums, pears, pineapple, kiwi fruit

High carb (avoid at all costs)

Bananas, cherries, grapes, oranges, mangos, figs + all dried fruit

Actions

• Make sure to shop for fruit regularly so your fruit bowl is always full in the morning.

• Always select fruit that’s fresh and in season.

• Buy fruit you don’t normally eat – munch on nectarine, pick up a pear, mosey up to a melon – the more you experiment with fruit the more you’ll grow to love it.

Hi Hemmy

I hope there aren’t any surprises. I must admit to a little trifle yesterday, shop bought at Pams of course…….

Low sugar youghurt today and maybe an orange for dessert. I am so pleased that you started us on eating fruit for breakfast. Sometimes before I got a craving for an orange out of the blue, I think that was my body needing vitamin C.

Hi Jean

Granary bread works for me, although just the one thick slice of a 400g loaf that I cut myself. I have to be able to fit it into the toaster.

Sorry I haven’t seen booty around apart from the last couple of weeks. I would still like to know a little bit more about him/her. He/she talks about his wife or course nowadays I wife could be male or female.

Good luck with your granddaughters op. I’m sure she will be fine.

I remember reading that 50/50 was prepared foods. Ah well halo intact here, just……I think the trifle might just escape.

Good luck with the chicken tomorrow.

Have a nice time away.

What forest are you in? I am about 40 minutes from the New Forest in Hampshire, dangerous for walking dogs there because of this terrible disease they can get. Not that I have a dog.

Fruits all gave different benefits like different types of fibre etc.

Here is a little about them. Belly fat is the most dangerous and one we should all try to reduce. I looked at my waist measurement. It was 42.5 last time I measured now 39, still a way to go though, but heading in the right direction.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/535981-good-fruits-to-eat-to-lose-belly-fat/

Ginette,

Thetford forest in Norfolk one of our favourites, lots of market towns but can get to the coast also…the weather is always kind to us hoping so this time…quite sheltered from wind
    X

Hi all

Had a lovely day at the van… fast day here so just had a venison burger grilled with salad for tea with a Warburton sandwich thin. .. I can recommend the burgers very lean and tasty. .. had a little tomatoe chutney in top. .. Ian had cheese on his plus sausage!!!
    The burgers come in at 136 kcals and I feel like i have had a big BBQ. ..

Jean have a lovely time away Thetford is a lovely place I have been there many Times with my 1st husband. His mum lived in Norwich. .

Will post weight loss in Tuesday YES I am that confident I have lost. .. ☺

Much love to you all
    AUDREY

Hi all

Had a lovely day at the van… fast day here so just had a venison burger grilled with salad for tea with a Warburton sandwich thin. .. I can recommend the burgers very lean and tasty. .. had a little tomatoe chutney in top. .. Ian had cheese on his plus sausage!!!
    The burgers come in at 136 kcals and I feel like i have had a big BBQ. ..

Jean have a lovely time away Thetford is a lovely place I have been there many Times with my 1st husband. His mum lived in Norwich. .

Will post weight loss in Tuesday YES I am that confident I have lost. .. ☺

AUDREY

Hi Ginette,

Sorry if I came across to harshly, I will try and curb my enthusiasm for what has worked for me. It may not work for others I can appreciate that. Im a 54 yo male and I started my health journey Feb 2015. Hit my self imposed weight target about a year later and have been in maintenance since Feb 2016. 92kg (202lbs) down to 72kg (158lbs) so a total of 20kg (44lbs) loss. I started doing 5:2 by eating a 1/4 of TDEE but found that after about two weeks that I couldn’t be bothered “counting calories”, so I decided to do water fasts. I actually found this easier to do that just trying to eat a little, so for me it was a no brainer. I do not count calories on non fast days but I did a lot of research on food types. My conclusion was that certain foods had to go or at least be sometimes only treat foods. Sugars and simple carb foods, for me, were the source of the problem so now I very rarely have things like chocolate, cakes, ice cream (never), rice, pasta, cereal (this one is real bad in my opinion because people think its healthy), OJ potatoes. Basically anything with refined carbs. If its come out of a packet/box be VERY careful and read the label to see how much sugar has been added. I now do maintenance 6:1 and it is still a water fast. It is my Monday reset button.

Ive got pretty simple food tastes so I don’t need recipes to keep me motivated. I have lots of vegetables (mostly green ones and mostly raw), some meat like tuna, chicken, pork. I don’t really like the heavy red meats but will have them every now and then. I do have some fruit but tend to have the berries and more tart fruit. Always whole fruit, never into smoothies and never dried fruits. Love nuts and tend to have almonds and walnuts. Love my yogurt but I have high fat low sugar varieties. Avocados I’ll eat because they are good for you but Im not overly fond of them. My food palate is pretty basic so I cant help with recipes.

I ride my bike at lease once a week, its my happy place, I do it because I enjoy it not because I have to. I walk for one hour every day (during my lunch break). Its a gentle walk and most people tend to power past me. I don’t think you need to “power” to get the benefits. I can understand the science of what needs to happen and I like researching this aspect (occupational hazard), the psychology of what needs to happen I don’t understand very well so I suspect that may be why Ive come across as curt.

Anyways, find something that works for you and stick to it, but be genuine. I know that 5:2 works if youre genuine about it.

Hi Booty

Nice to meet you and you sound ok, enthusiasm I can understand. I have been doing this since January 2015 myself. I did really well at first and then about October I reached a plateau. I started this for health benefits as something that happened at the end of 2014 raised my blood pressure to dandpferously high levels. This is obviously stress related and I try different methods of coping with the stress. Sometimes with good results sometimes not.

I had 9 stone to lose two years ago and I managed to lose a stone before I started this and then just over three and a half since. After I reached plateau and stayed there for sone time can Chistmas in the period up to Christmas and over it I gained 10lbs. Now I have taken control again. I am off of the sugary foods and very aware of what I am eating. I have started to lose again. The fast beach for me was about going back to basics and cutting out the junk food. I haven’t eaten much prepared processed food since I started. The odd meal.

I still have just under four and a half stone to lose. I am happy after this kickstart or more like kick up the behind to lose 2lbs a month. I want to spread the loss offer two years as I am not in a tearing hurry.

I am really pleased that you are now on maintenance and that you have done so well. Your imput is welcome, just be mindful that some people are really sensitive. I have seen two people who were regular posters leave another thread because of perceived critisim.

It will be nice getting to know you and thank you for your reply.

Ginette

Hi Jean

I have just looked up where you are on the east coast then. When the weather forcast comes on I can now see what your weather is like.

Hi Audrey

Venison is one meat that I don’t eat, I don’t eat duck either. I know it is really popular. The burgers sounded nice and quite saintly, yours that is. I really hope you lose this week.

Good luck all those weighing tomorrow.

Coffee are you around or is it too early.

Morning All,

All ready for the off just waiting for the work traffic to ease…not nice sat in queues with a caravan.

Weather is changing a bit a couple of days with showers but you don’t melt…we will be off about as usual.

Scales are packed for two weigh in days…body and food! Fingers crossed for tomorrow maybe 1 lb if I am lucky…..but I am OK with whatever it brings….only want a down ward fall!

Good luck to everybody else tomorrow.

I am in a wood so my signal may be iffy…maybe have to catch you out and about or in cafes.

Thanks for all your wishes…have a good FD all.

Jean x

Morning all

Very windy here and we have had rain overnight….
    BBC for tonight with burger chicken and heck sausage….

Have a safe journey Jean.

Ginette thanks for all the links very useful.

Hemmy hope you had a lovely weekend with Kristy…

Love to all have a good day fast or non fast…

Audrey

Morning everyone.
    Loving the chatty posts and the encouragement.
    Feel the need to confess (occupational hazard!) that I stopped my FD yesterday. I was so shattered after Saturday, that I took the decision to have a good food day – which for me is not nibbling junk all the time, but having proper, well-cooked (by someone else, I’m lousey) meals. So today I start my fast, and will pop out later to pick up my famously favourite FD thing – a fishcake!
    PS Had gromets as a child…stopped the infections, ear ache – I think they dissolve as you grow up, leaving your ears working well. Hope the wee op goes smoothly.

Good morning all hope all is well with you and yours.

What a wonderful week-end … so blessed with all the sunshine.

Had a good time eating and drinking .. keeping well on track. Had a sandwich at 1pm and got lost in the garden never had dinner till 7pm. Hopefully be much easier now its gardening time. Lol

Sym safe journey … it sounds a lovely spot to be. Fingers crossed for good weather for you both. Xx

Aud hope your weather improves this morning. Sounds like the BBQ will be in good use. So healthy and tasty. Enjoy your time with Ian. Xx

Big B Wow you have done brilliantly . Don’t think I could attempt those all day water fast though. Glad it works for you.

Thing is for me… I don’t want this to be a diet. I have got bored with nearly every diet going.

I love the fact this way of life is of our own making and need jacket potatoes .. pasta … rice.. cakes .. choc.

I have no confidence at all in any of the modern declarations on what we should eat and drink.
    Granny lived till 92 … Mum is now 89 .. She will eat almost everything. BUT in moderation. Kept the same weight for most of her life.

Big B I am hoping for one of those ages. ( Not yet though) Lol. Lovely to have you here. Xx

Fast day today for me… anyone else.

Karen… Coffee .. Lynda .. Mel.. Min. And all… Hope you are ok. xx

Brit lovelies

There is nothing impossible to him who will try. Xx

Hi Min

Just seen your post.

Good to abort an FD if not feeling up to it or tired That’s the beauty of this way of life it is geared up to our needs. Much better to do a day when you are comfortable.

Those fat fish cakes are defiantly on my list when I have used up some of my reduced buys from my local coop. I cant resist a bargain. Lol

Have a good FD today. I am with my trusted omelette as it works for me. Xx

Hemmy,

Don’t treat it as a diet, well I don’t in nay case. Like I said I have pretty simple food tastes so I don’t need anything fancy food wise. For me getting rid of treats was a no brainer. If you still eat “treats” but are going in the right (weight) direction then all well and good!! If it makes it feel like its not a diet then your likely to keep doing it, which is what you want.

Good luck with it. 5:2 works and it costs you no money. In fact you save money. Bonus!

Hi Jean

I hope you have arrived now and have got settled in. We will hear from you at some point I am sure. It will make a nice change for you.

Hi Mino

Hemmy is right, at first it can be a struggle and we have to choose what fast days suit us as long as you get two in a week you will still lose. I always do Monday and Wednesday unless something unusual happens that makes me change it.

I hope you enjoyed the relaxation of that unexpected day. After three or four weeks it seems such a habit. I was lucky only to find the first week difficult. Maybe even the first day. I have had some odd difficult days since where I have just struggled.

At least you had good food not all the wrong foods. Those of us who are or who were hooked on the high fat high sugar treats seem to suffer most from this. For me the fruit seems to be hitting the spot. It satisfys my sweet tooth while helping me to clean out my system, this was a real problem when I started and for a long time on and off. I enjoy it as well. I like apples but they make me hungry for some reason, I love all of the summer fruits, strawberries, melon, figs, I love plums by but they are too easy to eat and packed in sugar.

Hi Hemmy

At the moment I have managed to wean myself off of rice cakes at Aldis. These were chocolate covered and very moreish, although they were packed in threes they didn’t last long. I am worried about even having them in moderation as this doesn’t seem to work. Early days yet though. I think these foods are addictive and I’m worried that it might be line alcohol, have one and your back on the wrong road again.

Hi Booty

I agree it is cheaper as although I am buying more fruit, I am buying no treats. The treats are cheaper than fruit though. A sugar tax on all sugary food would be a good idea, not just fizzy drinks. With the money raised they can reduce fruit and veg prices. There is such problems stirred up health wise in too much sugar, aside from the weight gain, tooth problems.

I only had fizzy drinks on special occasion or the odd Sunday. I never became addicted so one less habit to break.

Hi Audrey

Of course all of these links are informative but not 100% right. It is matter or reading up on things and getting a rough idea of what is right. I haven’t eaten oranges for years on a regular basis, now I have two a day, it helps so much that I don’t need a laxative always a good thing. Vegetable don’t help me in that way.

Shame the weather has changed for the next few days, hopefully the sunshine will be back.

Hi All,

Settled in and very hot 23 degrees.. Just finished the BBQ my whole chicken worked well cut it into quarters at end and cooked more to make sure cooked..very nice had it with the usual salad.

Weather forecast a bit of rain for next two days but should be 20 so we will see..

Granddaughter is all done and full of it.. Spoken to her.. All good.

Good luck to everybody on weigh in tomorrow.. Will let you know how I have done..

I have never done BBQ without wine it’s the first!!!

Jean x

Hi Everyone

Audrey and Jeaan, hope you’re all having a lovely, relaxing time regardless of what the weather turns out to be. I’m sending out good thoughts to the weather gods that the sun continues to shine on us all. 🙂

FD for me today, but again a bit of trepadition about the weigh in tomorrow. Think I’m doing OK and then remember little things I shouldn’t have had!

Got company coming on Thursday for a week or so, and no transport so I’ll have to be the driver. Sometimes I wish I could clone myself and make life easier. LOL Have to sort the house out, sleeping arrangements etc – and try and work out what is going to be on the menu! (gulp)

Hope everyone else is OK. Ginette I will try and get on later. Xx

Hi Coffee
    You have my sympathies – I’ve guests coming at the end of next week…the dilemma, at which point to do the major, dog-hair removing clean! And we have a party for 8 x 7year old boys this week, as well. Don’t need to clean for them, fortunately, just tidy away all things that could ne broken!
    Hope your (and other’s) FDs went well. Survived my replacement day well by leaving pretty much everything to the end. Filled my plate with carrots so feeling pretty full.

Evening all

Mum going home Friday been lovely having her here but them nibbles are calling me so taken myself off to bed told her I was tired she said a early night will do me good…..if only she new how hard it is with all that chocolate in the fridge arrrrrh!!

Weigh in tomorrow hope I’ve done ok

Lynda x

Hi Jean

Glad you are settled. Yes it is till hot, over 23 indoors here. At least you won’t be shivering and if rain holds off, it could still feel nice.

Well done on the chicken and superbly well done on the no wine. Good luck to you on the weigh in as well.

I’m glad the op went well. Nice that it is out of the way.

Hi Coffee

Think positive regardless of whether or not you have been 100% good, you would have orobably been so much better than a normal week. So you should have lost something.

I think life gets complicated with company with regards to food, the normal thing is to have treats to make them feel welcomed, this is tricky if you aren’t eating them, careful planning is needed if you are to avoid the pitfalls. Remember that ice cream isn’t a bad option and would go well with strawberries.

Enjoying their company of course is the most important thing.

Hi Mino

You as well with company, I would say just before they come with the did hair removals. Good luck with the party, if I can remember it can be a bit hectic, the bast time for me was when they went home, they were hectic jumping on furniture etc. After this I did parties at outside venues although my son preferred a family meal.

Well done for surviving fast day, mine was uneventful.

Hi Lynda

Yes this would tempt anybody is your Mum taking them home with her?

Good luck for weigh in.

Good luck to Hemmy and Audrey as well. This is our half way point. It should be downhill (easy going) all the way now. Good habits are being well formed I hope and will stay in place.

Hi Minois

Yes I’ve got the dog hair removal to do as well – 2 Cocker Spaniels and the occasional influx of family dogs as well don’t make for hair free furniture, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Wish you well with the party. All I’ll say is enjoy it, they grow up so quickly and you’ll look back on the mayhem with very fond memories.

By the time your guests come mine will have gone home and I’ll either be relaxing or having a nervous breakdown. LOL
    Well done with your FD and hopefully you’ll be rewarded on the scales. 🙂

Hi Lynda
    If you’ve had the willpower to go to bed away from the temptation then I’m sure the scales will be kind to you. Mums are wonderful, but I don’t think that generation really understands the need to lose weight. They either love to eat because they had to live through rationing, or they eat small amounts anyway because that was what they grew up with. I hope she really enjoys the rest of her stay and either eats all the goodies or takes them home with her. (Bless)

Hi Ginette

You’re probably right about it being a better week than a ‘normal’ one would be but when I posted I was disappointed with myself cos I’d just eaten 2 ginger biscuits! Haven’t had anything else since then other than a couple of cups of coffee and water, but I’m hungry now so I think soup and a sandwich are coming my way. Only thing is it’s rather late to be eating if I’m getting weighed in the morning – maybe I’ll see if a couple of oranges will do instead! That ice cream and strawberrys are sounding rather good at the moment. LOL

Good luck for the weigh in everyone. Xx

Hi Coffee

Go with the oranges, efficient at waste clearance. It took three weeks of more fruit for thus to happen, definetly fruit at breakfast is a winner as well. This is one habit I shall be keeping.

I hope all of us lose something. I didn’t expensive have a look this morning. I shall have to wait until tomorrow. Retaining a lot of water through the heat so this won’t help. That will adjust itself eventually.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,451 through 4,500 (of 35,434 total)

You must be logged in to reply.