Fat Busting Brits!!

This topic contains 34,977 replies, has 403 voices, and was last updated by  symba7 14 hours, 1 minute ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,301 through 17,350 (of 35,464 total)

• Caz..
    It’s only come out recently about fasting on an empty stomach..I picked it up from MM somewhere..

Steve has been on a plateau for a full year, he is quite happy not putting on but up and down a pound and really maintaining…since Xmas his body has started to play again..lost 8 lbs and 5” around his waist..we are only doing the same which we always do…so it’s hard to understand each other’s body it’s quite a mystery…..it’s just continuing and persevering….

Good luck to you…it’s a lovely way of life and it breaks a lot of life habits…our food and taste has completely changed and food bill has gone down a lot…

Let’s make it a good weigh in Friday 😀

Jean x

Good morning,

It’s another beautiful sunny day here so may go out for a walk later.

Will be trying my best to avoid the over privileged wedding today but could be joining others in watching the cup finals this afternoon.

I could do with going swimming again, I hadn’t been for over 40 years so the first time I went I did 20 lengths,I was quite pleased with that, my son couldn’t swim so I took him and eventually he learned to swim, I started going once a week and did 30 lengths then 40, then 50 then I did a mile, I started going with my daughter but we have not been for over a year.

The scales were kind today I have lost 4.4 lbs,2 kilos.

Dave- That’s a great loss in a week! Glad that it’s shifted again…
    Pseudo- hope you’re finding something to do this weekend, shame about the walking group changing the date of the next trip…
    Jean- hope you’re enjoying the sun; magnum in the garden? Did you watch the wedding?
    Typhoo- hope you enjoy the football!
    Caz- same to you, hope you can get motivated to start swimming again. I do enjoy it, but our local pool’s being refitted so been closed for 9 months, didn’t go that regularly though before!
    Kay, Lynne, Minols, Cakey- hope you’re all enjoying the weekend & all well?
    Meal out last night was lovely, chose a keto-friendly option & had cheese without the biscuits instead of dessert. It came with a chutney which was so sweet it was like a pudding to me, only ate a little of it! Then we were out early this morning to a car boot- got a bargain huge pot & courgette plants- spent quite a while re-potting lots of my plants, upgrading each one to the next size pot. Backache now! Came in for lunch just as the wedding was over, not that I was too bothered.. (I had tried on a bridesmaid dress I have from over 20 years ago when I was matron of honour for a friend- wound my son up & said I was getting into the spirit of the wedding & was going to watch it dressed up!) Maybe out for a bike ride in a bit…

Afternoon All….
    So very hot here…I can’t cope like I did when younger…

I did watch the Wedding a bit different from the usual ones…still 2 billion world wide watched it….and daughter was up at 5.30 her time to watch it….. I will miss the football later if the temperature drops the grass wants cutting..more interesting for me….lol

Dave..
    What have you done this week 4 lbs is amazing loss well done…it’s a while since we were swimming….

Hedgehog..
    No magnum..a tight day for us..I may have a vodka and tonic I think it’s a better diet drink…but I don’t drink it normally…too hot in the garden only did 30 mins…hope it’s better when the football starts…

Glad you found something keto last night and it was nice to get the family together..it seems to be hard around their ages then they seem to want to join you again later..

Time to relax after all the potting a bit hot for that….

Lost a few people…hope they come back….Minols and Kay…Where are you….

Jean x

I went back to myfitnesspal it seems to work well.Plus i cut out late night snacking.

Morning all! Sun has disappeared today, hope that everyone else has some! Pottering about day, nothing planned, eating day before the fasting starts again tomorrow!

Good morning everyone. No sun in Scotland today either. Just overcast.

Brads27 – Well done on the weight loss. I’m definitely going to start swimming but not sure that I can manage 20 lengths on first day!

I had a bit of a lazy day yesterday. Spent too long sitting about watching football. Today I need to go to the shops and hopefully get a bit of gardening done. The grass could do with a cut if nothing else.

hedgehogs – I’ll be joining you with fasting tomorrow.

Morning All..

Still very hot and sunny here.

Just been out on the canal walking for a hour really lovely….but feeling very grotty with upset tum, thought I would shake it off but no…

Speak later..

Jean x

Roasting here again could be a good summer.3 am this morning but tonight’s game is 8pm so will watch on my laptop with headphones on.Heidi is fast asleep,looks so peaceful, may go for a drive somewhere this week if the weather’s still nice.

Hope you feel better soon, Jean…
    Enjoy the sun everyone else- out here now, been sitting in the garden.

Laid on settee asleep for 4 hours…I am never ill…very tired yesterday which was unusual considering I was sat watching the wedding…feeling dizzy and a hurting tummy…

Poor Steve’s cutting the grass on his own, we do it together…

We are fasting today but I don’t fancy anything to eat yet…

Lovely and sunny again…enjoy the garden hedgehog…a better time for your game Dave…

Jean x

Live in Norfolk and fed up with every birthday looking fatter and feeling awful on my birthday. Have lost weight but still at 5′ an 2″ and 11 stone 2, so I think a stone would be great and half a stone by my birthday so that gives me 8 weeks to try and loose half a stone and a bit!
    Started with 2 egg omelette and spinach, with mushrooms and tomatoes and then for lunch gazpacho with extra cucumber and spring onions and tomatoes. I am also using the my fitness pal app on my phone. What calorie intake should I be doing on non fast day, the TDEE says 1947, seems a lot, what is correct!

Hi Chardonnay..
    Welcome …come and join us, a few newbies started recently..

I don’t know your age I put you at 40..sorry just a number…I have you down for 1600 on a NFD…so your figures sound high….I never count excerise, that’s a Brucie bonus if you do any…

Good luck let’s get that weight moving…

Jean x

Evening all,

Ive been making the most of the sun whilst its been out. Unfortunately not been very good on the NFDs, definitely fasting tomorrow! And maybe Wednesday,as we are off visiting family in Chester on Thursday, through til Tuesday, so no fasting will be happening then.

Weigh in this week saw me the same.

Well done on the loss Dave. I do need to cut back on snacking….again!

Jean, hope you feel better soon.

Hedgehogs, Im with you tomorrow, and Caz.

Welcome Chardonnay. What activity level did you choose? I think that unless you do lots of exercise, I would choose sedentry. It gives you a bit of a margin on the right side of calories. Also, I fix my fasting calorie number at 25% of my TDEE, although I know most people here just go for 400-500 cals.

I did post a couple of days ago, or so I thought, wonder if I lost it….

Early nights at the mo, as Neil is at work at 5am.

Dave, it looks like you may go to bed at a normal time tonight!

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend and is ready for the week x

Yes normal time tonight (about 1am) it’s been a gorgeous day today, I did to Denise we should go out somewhere during the week of it going to be nice weather.Never sure how many calories I should have on NFD been trying to stick to around 2000.

Kay..
    Enjoy your time away with the family in Chester…we are away from Friday this week till Tuesday…..5am is an early start…for both of you…..

Still feeling very tired, sicky feeling and belly cramps…we have had a FD but was easy for me as I didn’t fancy eating much…next one Tuesday…

Dave ..
    You should go for a ride somewhere lives too short…a meal out maybe….

Jean x

Evening!
    Hi Chardonnay & welcome- I’m from Suffolk, so just down the road! I think TDEE does seem to vary on different sites- you can calculate it somewhere on here. A lot of people put in their goal weight rather than current weight so that they get used to eating to the size they’ll hopefully be. I’d suggest taking measurements too as well as weighing, sometimes scales don’t move as much as measurements do! Drink lots on FDs too! (not Chardonnay though!!)
    Jean- FD easier then, but hope you’re feeling better soon. Have you eaten anything different to Steve?
    Kay- good idea to squeeze in a couple of FDs before you go away…
    Dave- definitely go for some days out while you can, now Denise’s knee’s better. As Jean says, life’s too short!
    Lots of sun, & a good long walk in the woods today for us. Eaten well, ready for tomorrow!
    So there’ll be a few of us sharing the baton tomorrow!

Morning All..

A lovely day and I am still alive…I did feel awful yesterday and with a lot of sleeping…tummy still very tender but I look a lot brighter…we both had a meat pie out on Friday and that may be the culprit each from a different batch…

Strange I had 200 calories yesterday and a pound up in weight today…..hoping it’s water retention…….measured my waist this morning to give me a lift….it’s 32” so now less than half my height of 5’ 8”…all looking very good.

Going to colour my hair this morning it’s looking quite bad…

Hedgehog..
    A lovely walk through the woods yesterday, I would of enjoyed that….we are fasting tomorrow so hold the baton for us…

Have a good fast day everyone…

Jean x

Morning folks, hazy but super warm here, kind of wish I hadn’t decided to wear my dungarees. I’m clutching to the end of baton for the first of my FDs. Feeling fat and bloated as I do every Monday morning. 🙁

I’m really looking forward to starting keto, will give me more of a shove to watch what I’m eating on NFDs, have sorted all my pasta, rice and porridge to give away. The only annoying thing is that I really want to start it now but it’s my birthday on the second of June, which means eating out, drinking, seeing family… I don’t want to risk messing things up that early in the game, or doing the Gower walking festival through keto flu. So, two more weeks.

Hope everyone has a good day, glad you’re feeling better Jean! Good going on the waist measurement. 😀

Making phone calls this morning to book my car into the garage and me into the doctors (if I booked a vet appt too everything would be getting seen to!). I’m so awkward on the phone, I come to the end of the reason for the call, everything is sorted and then there’s always an awkward silence like the other person thinks I’m not done, until I awkwardly say “well, er, bye then.” Must be something about the way I talk that makes people think I’m not done – it can’t be my accent, I know Welsh people have a habit of their voices lilting at the end of a sentence, but the people I’m talking to are Welsh too. Mystery.

Hi all

Sorry to have been awol – didn’t plan it! I just didn’t have much computer time last week and what time I did have I was pushing to get work written. The next thing I knew it was the end of the week. I just don’t know where time goes these days.

So hopefully back into the swing of the site. May try putting the phone notifications on so I don’t get so far behind. I managed a couple of FDs last week, and I worked really hard on not letting my NFD get out of control. No real effect yet…but I think I’m fairly resigned to being in that part of the cycle that is fairly static for whatever reason – so I’m keeping my ‘Steve’ head on, telling myself that if I didn’t keep the faith, I’d be a whole lot heavier, and wait for things to start shifting again.

Today I have with me a salad using some left over flakes of curried chicken, and I’m really looking forward to it.

I think I might also have a look at the myfitnesspal app that Dave talked about – never looked at it before, and if I can get it to work it might be the change of gear I need.

Good to catch up on all the chat – hope to be around a bit more this week.

Mx

PS Jean – are you feeling better?

Help – MFP has me at 1270cals per day!

Mind you, if I manage that – ever – I’m sure to lose weight!

Mx

Hair coloured now having 5 mins catchup before blowing it dry…I feel a lot better not 100% but getting there…I shall eat more today to get normality into my body but thoughtfully..

Pseu..
    You are really getting it together the keto, think it might be too heavy for me…a birthday looming, will you be doing something special….early June we are coming down to Tredegar Park with the caravan between Newport and Cardiff to see Steve’s daughter….where are you in Wales…always loved dungarees…

Waist measurement a better guide then BMI…to be under half your height…slowly got there..😀

Minols..
    MFP is strange always gives me 1200 calories a day but it doesn’t allow for fasting…I am about 1350 on a NFD…curried chicken sounds good for lunch…keep with us….Steve has been on the plateau for a full year, he is now on the move again about 8 lbs since Xmas…..but we aren’t doing anything different.

Must move..

Jean x

Hi Jean – glad you’re a little better, and hope the eating carefully helps get you back to 100%.

You’re right re MFP – realised when I’d given myself some caffeine (!) that of course i’d put in to lose the weight without accounting for fasting. When I adjusted it to ‘maintain’ the weight I want to get to, my cals went up to 1690…still not as many as I would eat on a normal day, but I guess it’s salutary to realise what a ‘normal’ weighted person needs in our society as opposed to what we usually find ourselves eating.

I’ll use it for a week and see if I can get used to it.

Mx

Minols…
    Are you paying monthly for MFP…as it’s doing a lot more than my free version …

It’s finding what works…..I have not counted for three months now as I feel I know were I am …still if I loose the plot I will count again…I don’t want to count for life…

Have a nice day…

Jean x

I am allowed 2050 calories on MFP on a fast day it just says you are not eating enough,I used it year’s ago to lose weight for an operation on my hernia,I lost 3 stone using it, but never had the op because I felt so much better after losing the weight, now put it all back on plus more 😝😒😪 Denise just sat next to me eating a chicken sandwich and I am having a cuppa, it will be like the Chaplin film when I look at her I will see a big chicken 😁

Hello all,

It’s another beautiful sunny day in this part of Scotland at least so decided to give myself a nice short hair cut.

Fasting today and have had a continuous nagging hunger all day so will be drinking plenty of water as I know that can the real reason for the rumbling stomach.

To everyone joining me on this fast day stay strong and remember you can eat tomorrow.

Minols- Glad you’re back! I used the free MFP; it’s good to give you an idea of what you’re eating, but I did it when I started keto & it was so inaccurate I couldn’t rely on it when I needed to be under 20g carbs.
    Jean- glad you’re feeling better, & well done on the waist measurement!
    Pseudo- definitely best not to try keto before the walking festival- you could gradually reduce the carbs the next few weeks if you’re keen to get going, then it’ll be easier when you go full-on keto!
    We were out early into town, clothes shopping for hubby- steered him away from more navy polo shirts, to black ones instead, living dangerously! More brown shoes bought though… PJs & trainers for me, but the PJs too big so will have to go back.
    Fasting going okay- trying possibly 2 longer ones this week, so impatient to get the last pounds off! Grr, too slow!

Just measured my waist, it’s almost exactly half my height, so not too awful. Fast going fine, but it usually does in the day when I’m busy. Going to try to go jogging again later since my hip is a lot better than it was, fingers crossed it won’t get bad again.

Tredegar will be nice for you Jean, do you go caravanning in Wales much?

I used to use My Fitness Plan, and it’s still on my phone, but I find I prefer to just make a note of things in my diary. Jean – It tells you calories to stick to etc when you go into the settings and put in your weight, height etc – it normally prompts you to do it when you first set it up so maybe you skipped that part?

Typhoo, I’m always tempted to chop my hair off once it gets warm!

HH – Black instead of navy?! Living on the edge. Yup those last few pounds must be getting frustrating! Great to be so close though.

Fitness Pal, not plan. Tch.

Hello baton wielding Brits

After a couple of controlled weeks, clothes feeling much better, size 14s hanging on me and back in to the 12s quite comfortably – no muffin tops.

However the measly scales are showing only 1lb down, two if I stand on one leg or lean against the sink.

Either I’m due a whoosh or there is something funny going on. I suspect it’s to do with upping the exercise and things toning up although I’ve never really subscribed to the muscle weighs more than fat theory – maybe if if built lots of muscle but not just a bit of toning.

Anyway taking no notice of the scales until they catch up and behave themselves and enjoying the clothes.

Loving the weather 🙂

I’m trying to eat clean, have read pages and pages of advice and have decided to cut out (or replace) white bread, potatoes, pasta, red meat, sugar, tomatoes, diet drinks and anything I can narrow down to containing white flour or sugar. It’s more for my skin but figure it can’t harm my weight either.

Travelling Tuesday and Thursday this week. Fast days Monday and Thursday.

Hope you’re feeling better Jean.

I use MFP more to get a sense of calories but such huge variations it’s not always accurate.

CW

I’ve noticed that with it too, that sometimes it’ll tell me the calories in something are wildly off compared to what it says on the pack or when I type it into Google. Not every time, but I have seen it happen. Well done on getting back into the smaller togs!

Hedgehog…
    Living on the edge why are men such a stick in the mud….my ex used to have black, navy, brown and grey..M & S staples…trousers and jumpers…..the brown got to me when he matched up with navy..the ‘brown’ got lost..no idea where it went!..😂

Pseu..
    Well done on the waist ..a good guide…usually just caravanning to Tredegar in Wales as it’s close to Step daughter..maybe three times a year…or we meet up half way in the car…

Must look at MFP must of missed something…

Cakey Wakey…
    Size 12s well done always makes you feel good…more clothes to buy??

I definitely had the whoosh effect over the last two days but a pound up…lol…looking at the food you have listed gaffer tape might work better 😂

I think I will have a bacon butty for tonight…still not really eating…FD tomorrow we will take the baton…

Jean x

I honestly don’t know how MFP can be inaccurate,I just scan every barcode and it’s always 100% correct to what it says on the packaging, sometimes you have to adjust the serving eg if you buy a sirloin steak it gives you the calories for 100g so you do the maths and adjust to what it weighs.I suppose if there is no barcode that’s when the problems start.

It’s because it’s input by individuals rather than companies, so I think some people might mess with it. It’s not with pre-packed stuff with barcodes, I’ve noticed it mostly with fruit and veg.

Oranges come up has 60 calories. So I guess there is no difinitive answer even using Google.

The police and a private ambulance were outside so Denise went to check if Mike our nextdoor neighbor was ok, sadly he has passed away.

Sorry to hear about your neighbour Dave, is that the same one that you did the shopping for? I know how caring you were towards him.

CW

Jean

I think you might be right re the gaffer tape. Meals just don’t seem to be complete without some of the restricted items. Also trying to cut right back on dairy – does anyone have good recommendations for milk alternatives, particularly in coffee. I’ve tried coconut milk which is was ok ish, soya milk is next on my list to try.

Good fast day so far. I had some raspberries and a banana chopped up with a spoon of natural yoghurt at lunch. Not hungry for tea yet so will wait and see, maybe some tuna and a boiled egg.

HH just seen that you are from Suffolk. That’s where we are headed for our hols. We have booked a week in Suffolk and a week in Norfolk as never explored either before. Hoping for fine weather, lots of walks and exploring.

Loving the hair Typhoo.

Welcome to the new joiners – stick with us.

CW

Pseudo, I agree about MFP. The branded and bar code food is more reliable (I think it has a tick or something) to show it’s been verified. It’s the meals that individuals have added. I suppose the only way is to check each item the first time we make it and divide by portions. Eg chilli con carne ranges from 103 to 973 on MFP so must depend on what people put in it.

Yes it was the neighbor who we did the shopping for, I have just been googling how many calories are burned doing a hour swimming breaststroke and the answers are all over the place ranging from 1410 to 576.So not much help Google.

Dave..
    Sorry to hear on your neighbour it’s very sad…

Cakey Wakey..
    I think I would drink it black for coffee anyway…I used to sometimes on other diets..

Enjoyed my bacon butty with tomatoes and melted cheese…not a lot but hit the spot…maybe I am much better 😂

Fasting now baton please….

Jean x

Sorry to hear about Mike, Dave… But at least he had good neighbours in you and Denise.

Toying with joining the baton welders tomorrow as I need to go into the big city and should have lots of distractions! I’ve enjoyed keeping today low, and it should be a good set up for holding off food tomorrow until I have salad again in the evening.

Does the bacon butty mean you’re now cured, Jean?!

Mx

Minols…
    Nearly….I am being looked after so I could push another day…😂
    Xx

CW, I’ve never found a decent milk sub for coffee, I’ve tried a variety of things but nothing really matches up. 🙁 Maybe some of the nut milks might work? I didn’t like almond, but hazelnut might not be too bad.

I went running after work, a few hip twinges but tomorrow will be the test of whether it’s held up or not. It was really hot out – sorry if this is OTT but I had sweat running down my face and keeping going was a real struggle. Definitely less fit than I was two weeks ago, but I also didn’t have my afternoon magic running apple, so that wouldn’t have helped. Just couldn’t face it for some reason.

Hope the other fasters are doing well!

Dave- really sorry to hear about your neighbour, you did so much for him, I’m sure he appreciated having You & Denise to help him.
    Cakey- well done on the clothes fitting better! I’m sure the scales will catch up soon… The things you’re cutting out sounds like a good plan, why tomatoes though? I’d recommend hazelnut milk if you can get it- it’s really nice in coffee and porridge!
    Pseudo/ Dave- I found MFP was really inaccurate with the carbs especially even on the pre-packed stuff. Having spent ages entering everything in (not up with the tech to scan anything, it took ages!) & then to find it was wrong made me very fed up!!
    Jean- hope you’re properly on the mend & enjoy the bacon sarnie! (& hope that your appetite doesn’t return with a vengeance tomorrow if you’re fasting!) Plus the whoosh was TMI, thank you!! Definitely extend it to get looked after another day!! I think my hubby needs to ‘lose’ a few more clothes too- there’s a couple of shirts tucked away at the back of the airing cupboard, somehow always get missed so never ironed!! Been there about 2 years so far…
    Minols- glad you’ve done well today! But would the big city have all sorts of café temptations tomorrow?
    Kay- how’s your day been?
    Hanging onto the baton for another day, Pseudo too?, so there could be quite a few of us…
    Sorry if I’ve forgotten anyone!

Handing the baton back, ending the day on 454 calories and 7 mile walk. That will do.

Hh tomatoes are classed as nightshade veg and not good for auto immune diseases like psoriasis. Same with peppers and potatoes.

Sitting down with a cup of tea to catch up on Chelsea Flower Show.

CW

Yup, I’m still clutching onto that baton for another day.

HH, at risk of boring everyone else with keto stuff (sorry guys), I was surprised that in the UK fibre is already detracted from the carb count but in America it’s not. So I was reading all these American blogs talking about detracting fibre and only by chance happened to come across the mention that in Europe it’s already done on the label. It means that American apps are completely out for us, because they try to take the fibre off a second time. I suppose MFP isn’t detracting fibre though, so that can’t be the problem. 🙂 I downloaded a carb counter app that I suspect I’ll have issues with.

CW, I’m surprised tomatoes are bad, they always seem like a nice healthy veg (or are they still classed as a fruit?). Surprised by the peppers too!

Just came home from speedway,got beat by Kings Lynn.We had 3 riders missing so could have been better, not to worry, think it will be a late night tonight, it’s not the same recording it.

Typical hockey due to start now and broadbands gone down 😪😪😪

Morning All..
    A bit of a chilly start…

Still under the weather ..thinking it’s more a bug now…..feeling a lot better but my stomach feels as if I have been kicked and is really sore and bruised…strange weigh in again this morning still up on weight and I am not eating much at all…body holding tight to everything…I suppose I am not moving about much and burning calories…

Going out looking for a hat for Steve ( needs it for his condition) and sandals for me….just noticed the pair I wear a lot, have a lot of worn places..shoes are never an easy buy for me…

Hand on the baton for us today..with Pseu, hedgehog…any one else??

Newbies quiet are you still with us?

Have a good day..

Jean x

Viewing 50 posts - 17,301 through 17,350 (of 35,464 total)

You must be logged in to reply.