Fat Busting Brits!!

This topic contains 34,990 replies, has 403 voices, and was last updated by  symba7 10 hours, 46 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 35,477 total)

• Hi All

Audrey lovely to see you and Milena are making plans again.

Hi Centic

The ready meals that you and Audrey make are tge best kind, home cooked and full of things that are healthy. I like to know what is in my meals now. Pam is fine now thanks, she seems to be more or less recovered from her twisted ankle. I have bout cauliflower rice from Tescos, not one for me. I like to try these things but honestly I prefer meals with mixed vegatables in. So if I had curry I would have curry and vegetables.

They say that rapeseed oil is the best for cooking, they showed a test the other week on the eat well for less programme, it showed that there are no benefits from cooking with olive oil as the cooking process changes it, it has a much lower smoke point than rapeseed oil which is also thought to be healthy. There are however many benefits from drizzling it over food. I cook eggs in butter, this really adds to the taste, if I am on a fast day however I use butter frylight in a non stick pan.

I have never heard about rice bran oil, a new one to me.

Poor Stu seems to be going through the mill health wise. I hope things improve.

Hi Hemmy

I still like fish and chips but I have half of Pams pensioner portion now, I would have had a whole standard portion before and as they serve a ton of chips I would have saved some for the next day and warmed them to have in a chip butty. I only had them about once a month then and it is about the same now, this time however there are very few chips and they are shared between us, a big change. What bad habits I had.

Fast day for me tomorrow, I am not one for fasting at the weekend though.

Anybody else fasting?

Ginette

Me to Hemmy!!! lol!!!

Sure we were all told about the starving children in Africa when we left food on our plate as kids.

And I’m sure we all got a clip around the lug when we suggested we should just post the leftovers to them.

Lol Milena

Remember those times well. Xx

Hi Hemmy

I think I started fasting at an early age – one evening I was given a cheese sandwich for my dinner – it must have been the day before the family allowance was paid – we were a big family – and I refused to eat it – I’ve never eaten cheese. Was served it at every meal for about a week – it turned mouldy and still it was served.

I still remember being incredibly hungry – even though my brothers were stealing food for me. It was a stand off worthy of Clint Eastwood.

Weird if you dont eat it today you eat it tomorrow goings on in here also. Like you Milena with stand offs that would last hours!

We tend to cook mostly with rapeseed oil, with tiny amounts of butter to stop stock and sauces going watery. Rice bran oil tends to get saved for stir fry or curry where a higher temperature is needed. I thought it might be useful one foe people to know about as its zero cholesterol. We kusually get it in Morrkisons.

Good morning all.. hope all is well with you and yours.x

Hi Ginette sharing the fish and chips with Pam is a great idea. Glad Pam is doing well.

Did you say you will be doing the gym again soon. Enjoy your FD today. Xx

Hi Milena just love that cheese sandwich story .. you paint such a vivid picture. Hope your days go well this week-end with Audrey. Xx

Hi Celtic rapeseed with the butter is what I use too. Your freezer must be stocked to the gunnels with lovely home cooked food.Xx

Bev.. Karen .. Priscilla and all. Hope everything is good for you.

Good luck with FD whoever is doing it.

It should be FD for me but its Andrews Birthday today so Kristy Is off and we are going to a lovely old tearooms in Stratford upon Avon Then a look around the shops for sweaters. Decided to be happy today rather than sad. Xx

Happy Day Brit lovelies. Don’t forget “Eat your Veggies Lose those Wedges”. Xx

Hi all
    I’m here, alive and kicking. Blew FD yesterday so will do today instead. The mishap with burning the dinner upset my equilibrium lol. Miss one day on here though and I can’t absorb everything that’s going on!

Celtic, Neil is fine but has lost the 4 lbs he gained. How infuriating….Do so hope you can get Stu’s meds sorted. Sounds awful.

Am spring cleaning. Will call back later when need a rest (and a couple of builders skips).

Hugs all round x
    Beverley

Hi All,

What a lot to catch up on! Thank you for all of your lovely messages, such great encouragement, First FD went really well and am having my second one today. I haven’t found it too bad but I really enjoyed my supper on Wednesday and I know I will tonight.

I had a little look on the scales and I’ve already lost 2kg/4lbs! That’s ridiculous though I am sure the loss will slow down as I progress…it always does. How often do you weigh yourselves? I’m a bit of an obsessive weigh-er so I would imagine that I will see ups and downs through the week with an overall downwards trend – hopefully!

Hope you’re all okay x

Good evening friends hope all is well with you and yours. X

We had a lovely day. Lots of treats. A lovely light lunch then a very
    naughty old fashioned afternoon tea including scones jam and cream.

This evening a few gins and slim line tonics.. Thank god I have 2 fast days before Tuesday weigh in. Lol

Tomorrow will be a fast day. Will be easy as I am on my own… Then again Monday. Going for a chicken .. mushroom + veg chunky soup. Seemed to work lovely last time.

Hope your Spring cleaning went well Bev… lots of cals burnt. xx

Jen Well done you for your loss so far … a brilliant start.x

I am a constant weigher its a wonder I don’t need new batteries every other day. Lol Whatever suits you really. Some only weigh once a week as it fluctuates so much.

That’s the beauty of this way of life. You control it not the other way round like most diets. It all so flexible. Keep in touch. Xx

Hope everyone had a good day .. whether fasting or just being mindful.

Don’t for get Brit lovelies…You’ll huff and puff if you eat a lot of stuff.Xx

Audrey

all planned – finished my wine and finished my Godiva chocolates – gosh, if you have to eat chocolate, eat only the best. Two left but they are white chocolate and almond – like almonds but not almond flavouring. So I’m ready.

What are we doing tomorrow? Liquid – or is that Sunday? Or both? I found some oxo cubes in the back of the cupboard, if its cold I’ll try one. I’ll have to make it three in a row as I need to get back into the groove and my normal fast is Monday.

Going to a wedding on Halloween, should be fun, all the guests have to come in costume – thinking of going as Morticia and Gomez. I’ve a black velvet dress I last wore on my honeymoon I think – so I’ll need some luck and a very good shoehorn to get into it. Don’t even know where it is, but while looking I found two evening dresses in my wardrobe – one I last wore in 1992 – a fabulous midnight blue strapless number – wore it to the Scottish Motor Racing Club ball at the Balmoral in Edinburgh. So strange, I had raced 2CVs with some of these blokes and knew many more around the paddock – I don’t think many of them realised I was a girl until that ball – never had so many people have conversations with my chest. Never wore it again – and it doesn’t fit now.

Tried on a red velvet sheath dress I last wore about twelve years ago (why do I have things in my wardrobe – which is tiny, by the way – which I haven’t worn for years?????) Anyway, tried that one one – ok, its a bit stretchy and it would look a bit better with some spanx underwear BUT it does look ok! This time last year it would have made a pretty sock!

Now to find that black dress last worn in 1994!!!!! I’m watching two or three on ebay, just in case, I think I was maybe two stone lighter in 1994 and its also a sheath dress. Wonder how much I can lose between now and the 31st?

Morning all! 🙂

Early bird today..off to Bham with youngest daughter to catch up with mum on her 90th birthday weekend. OT says we’ll see a big difference in her..I hope that is the case.

No WiFi so I’ll be off the forum for a few days.

Hope the w/e goes well for all you fasters 🙂 don’t think I could do a w/e..work days keep me more occupied, so hats off to you x

Good to see you back Audrey x

Working all day yesterday so haven’t caught up with the thread. Very happy to report 0.7 kg loss this week. Also 2 people noticed I’ve lost weight. They are the first to comment! Maybe others think I’m ill?!

Have a good w/e all 🙂 stay positive to the fasters and mindful to non fasters x

Must work on the witty sign offs..I’m not in Hemmy’s league!!

Karen
    Xx

Hi milena I think it’s time you sorted out the wardrobe ……how big is it…..It sounds very large and fabulously stocked up with all sorts of outfits.

I am doing liquid only today followed by 500 tomorrow.

I am celebrating my wedding anniversary by doing this b2b….usually we go to the hotel where we spent our wedding night, this year is going to be very different! Ian is working so not much point in doing anything else really!

Ah well let’s make the most of what we can do and lose as much weight as possible, we have to get you into the dress for Halloween !

Good morning everyone else, hope you are all doing o.k. have a great weekend whatever you are doing.

Karen just seen your post, well done with your weight loss, hope your mum is improving all the best….

Keep in touch

Audrey

Good morning friends hope all is well with you and yours.x

Hi Karen have a lovely Birthday w/e with your Mum and family. Wow 90 bless her. Hoping you do see a big improvement this visit. Well done on your weight loss… you must be nearly at goal now. Enjoy. Xx

Good luck Audrey and Milena on this w/e. Sounds like you have a beautiful wardrobe there. xx

Hi Ginette hope yesterday went well. fasting for me today with chicken /mushroom soup. I don’t think too much damage was done yesterday by the scales this morning. Lol Eating much smaller potions now… and filled quicker. Have a lovely day xx

Hope everyone else is okay. Don’t for get Brit lovelies …….Lol

What you eat in private you wear in public. Xx

Morning all
    Well, am doing a fast today. Daughter is coming so that will take my mind off things. Hemmy I will join you! Of course Audrey and Milena too.

Karen have a good weekend. Sounds like your mum is doing ok. Fingers crossed things stay good. I am sure they will.

I have to get 4 more lbs off by the end of month for my challenge for Rocktober. Got to get a move on then.

Hope we all have a brill weekend. x

Beverley

It sounds like we have quite a good bunch of us fasting today good luck to you all.

Hemmy you could write a book with all your little sayings. …

Beverley 4lb is so doable go girl……

Audrey

Hi Bev

Will it be hard doing the FD today with your daughter arriving. Bet she will be all full of her achievements this week.

I reckon you can do that 4 lb by the end of the month. Don’t put yourself under pressure though as you don’t want that virus thing back and get stressed. Enjoy this way of life. ( I sound more like my Mum every day) Lol Xx

Oh Audrey, thanks for your faith in me. I have to admit I was a little down and had fleetingly thought, what is the point? Those blasted size 12 jeans are back up in the wardrobe and in their place a pair of size 14’s. The size 12’s seemed to have an adverse effect!!

From little acorns as they say………one size at a time…….at least Neil will stop nagging me about my weight. He has got a cheek.

BTW, that big chicken and your brill idea to freeze Christmas lunch. Well before I could do it he had eaten half the chicken. I was a bit annoyed. In fact I was more than a bit annoyed. Jeez can he eat but burns it off and is back down to 9 stone.

Looking forward to today now. Hugs x
    Beverley

p.s. If anyone ever feels too fat I firmly recommend the Rubens room in the Louvre. It blew me away.

Hello fellow fasters how are we all doing?

I have just had a hot chocolate drink 40 kcals so am on target. ..

Keep in touch together we are stronger……………………. come on milena, Beverley and hemmy we can do this!

Audrey

Hi Bev

I dream of being able to spend a week in the Louvre. OH is keen to join me, but he will be bored in an hour.

Well, got up late, was awake til three waiting to hear my son get home. Up at 10.30, first day nearly over. Recorded James Martin – he us a god – AND his guest is Michael O’Haire. Have asked for a meal at Behind the Door in Leeds for my birthday present!!!! Dear me, you can take the girl out of the kitchen …………

Been sitting on the road to the Forth Road Bridge for an hour, reckon another 90 minutes to the bridge, no food or drink in the car, so that’s another couple of hours sorted. If we every get there, off to a small antique a fair, it will probably take 3 hours to get back instead of 30 minutes.

Strangely OH missed the sign that said there were long delays to the bridge, and also missed me pointing out the sign!!!

But that’s Saturday sorted!

Milena

Try to enjoy your day hope you get there ok. Star strong

Audrey

Milena, you have to do the Louvre. We spent 5 hours in there. Rubens was the best. Mona Lisa, couldn’t get too near it for Japanese tourists and was not nearly too impressed. I could live in the place for a year and never get bored, I swear. also, the orangerie at the other end of the Tulleries Jardin. Has fab impressionists and some Picassos etc. To die for.
    The only other mega experience was some years ago in Cairo, the museum had the Tutankamun collection insitu. The sarcophagus in a glass case was open to the elements and I leant over so close to the famous mask etc. An armed guard waved me back. I got back. lol I am ashamed to say I had been totally transfixed. It is not good for ancient artifacts to be open to contamination.

That is not why I am here now. I think I just passed the biggest test ever! Picked up daughter from station and went to my sons as eldest granddaughter was there. DIL had done garlic bread, different pizzas, my fave ever food! I had nothing. Politely explained my predicament.

Hope we are all ok.

Beverley

Been to the Louvre a few times, but I think they say you need months to see it all. My thing is architecture and design, did an analysis of the Willis Faber building in Ipswich, realised then what good arcitecture and design is all about. Hoping to do a trip to see all the Norman Foster buldings obe day. Been to the viaduct at Milau a few times and have been to the top of the guerkin. Awesome. Mid century and scandinavian design too, hence I sell danish and norwegian jewellery.

Might not get my birthday present if I get the name of the restaurant wrong again, its called ‘the man behind the curtain’. I did know that so dunno why I got it wrong!!! Anyone been there?

Spent the evening watching cookery programmes, must be mad!!!!!

Fast day going o. K.

Going to go for shower soon and have an early night, got a beautification evening planned, legs done, face pack on, hair conditioned etc. Should keep me busy for a while…..

Talk tomorrow good luck fellow fasters how have you all done?

Audrey

Milena, the Danish and Norwegian jewellry sounds interesting.I love art galleries but i cant see Stu coping with them since this latest stroke. A few years ag I went to Liverpool on my own and spent 5+ hours in the Lady Lever on Port Sunlight. We had the beetroot and horseradish soup tonight. The diced potato, celery and tin of chickpeas worked well at making sure it had interesting chunky texture for Stu. I do think the average male is spoilt- it wouldn’t occur to me refuse to eat something someone had cooked for me because the texture was wrong! I do draw the line at burnt toast. I’ve got no idea how people cope with large families… must be a nightmare.

Its funny, it seems to becoming a regular thing that as Saturday draws to a close I find myself looking forward to FD on Monday.

Celtic – you asked how people cope with large families. Always a choice in my house (4 kids) when I was growing up………….eat it, or leave it! I adopted the same tactic with my kids. I’m not a short order cook and home is not a restaurant was my line. I wouldn’t force them to eat anything however – they could leave something but I preferred it if they tried things. They have grown up able to eat pretty much everything even if they don’t really love it, which is actually rather useful to them. It’s certainly the only way I could feed them a proper made-from-scratch meal. If they had all wanted different things, it would have had to be ready meals. This has in turn made them good cooks, because they would rather have home made food rather than ready meals and take away. So being a bossy mum worked out OK!

Hope your birthday isn’t soon milena – I was curious about the restaurant you mentioned and looked it up online. Fully booked out in the evening until 2016! Like you, I’d love to try it though. Maybe next year…

I come from a large family, 10 siblings, never met 3, middle child, but eldest for most of my life. None died but the book ‘Flowers in the Attic’ had bits I could relate too!

We could have as many bowls of cornflakes as we wanted, but only one portion of milk, had to save milk in the bowl for seconds. Variety packs were for Christmas, as was frosties and rice crispies.

We always had seven or eight veg with sunday dinner, chicken fed eight, cos we only got one slice, plenty of yorkshire puds, any left were pudding with jam. My mum was a useless cook, wonder she didnt kill us with her gravy. But her yorkshires were good, big slices.

Her sisters all did roast dinners the yorkshire way. Big slabs of yorkshire pud with meat juices as a starter – bones were boiled and a large slow cooking piece of beef, fabulous thin gravy, soaked into the puds.

Main was just one slice of beef, 7 or more veg, and thickened gravy. That joint would last 3 or 4 meals.

Rice pud, rhubarb crumble or applie pie.

Stepfather’s aunt baked every Sunday, family all round for big tea, stottie cake, chocolate cake and scones. The step children were left at home, got an occasional piece of bread or scone. No one thought it strange they were never invited.

No great choices of food, but as mum could only do egg and chips or pies – great pastry – we didnt complain, until the cheese sandwich of course. Took her a week to give in, and only because I had started making Sunday dinner,which was so much better than hers.

She spent 8 months in hospital having twins when I was 14, I cooked and we were better fed, once had to rescue the roast chicken that the german shepherd had nicked one Sunday. Tug of war to get it off him, a few big bites out of it, but washed it, stuck it back in the oven for 15 minutes and served it.

Couldnt get the dog into trouble with stepfather!!!!

Good morning fellow brits

Nice to see we all made it through our fat day yesterday. Milena and I have got another today and I think milena said another tomorrow too, I will see how I feel about that one but may join in!

Nice to see you all reminiscing I was the youngest and only daughter with 2 older brothers, I call them bib big brother and little big brother…. we never had much money dad worked down the local pit as an engineer then at the cotton mills….our diet was pretty much the same every week you knew which day it was with the meal you ate. ……happy days though!

Good luck to everyone fasting or not

Audrey

Good morning friends hope all is well with you and yours. x

A good FD yesterday. Started decorating our bedrooms so busy and active.

Todays a foodie day with roast lunch. Hopefully going easy on the potatoes and Yorkshires. Lol

Hope everyone enjoys their day what ever they are doing. Xx

Brit lovelies …. Be the very Best you can…Its your Body and your Life Xx

Good morning friends hope all is well with you and yours. x

Blimey where is everyone. Lol

Anyway, Fast Day for me today. Hopefully will go smoothly as getting stuck into the bedroom painting. Hoping for the 1 stone mark tomorrow.

Have a good day all whatever you are doing. Xx

Remember Brit lovelies ….Discipline weighs ounces, regret weighs tons. Xx

Morning all

I completed my 2nd fast day yesterday. I am joining milena in a fast day again today, although she is doing a liquid only I am planning on a stew later……

How are all our fellow brits? Ginette are you o,k. You are very quiet, celtic, priscilla, Karen, Beverley, jen. .. keep in touch sorry if I missed anyone.

Remember together we are stronger let’s keep the support up….

Audrey

Hemmy and Audrey
    If I wasn’t a lady I could spit! Did a lovely post and lost the internet connection……rude words.

Anyway FD for me too my lovelies. Lets crack on.

Beverley

Beverley, that happens tonus a lot too…so annoying.FD for us too.

Hi Audrey… Bev… Milena and anyone else on a FD. How is it going.x

Just had my 3rd cup of tea..and 2 waters. Trying to get to 4pm but at the moment I think 2pm is more realistic for me to have something.
    Its after my dog walk I am starving. Lol

Anyway, just going to boil the chicken carcus then make the soup. Oxo drink now I think.

How’s it going with you all.Xx

Hi hemmy

You can do THIS stay strong. Keep yourself busy and the time will fly by…..try to get to 4 I am waiting till 5 so you won’t be alone. shout if you need me….

Audrey

Audrey am really trying to go to 4pm today .

Glad I have the painting to finish today. Lol

Hope Ginette is OK. Xx

Hemmy

Just read your profile. You need to lose you wrote. Well in that case you need to slay the hunger Dragon.

We’re all behind you – which means you have to be brave for us all cos you are at the front.

Try some of the soup stock, if it’s bland, add pepper and tomato puree. Do you add veg to your stock, I chuck in owt that’s looking a bit sad. And definitely onions and carrots. Discard everything but the stock, if using the kitchen sink, take the pan holding the stock out before washing your hands. Otherwise it tastes odd. Wonder how I know that??

Stripping the carcass is great for your hands, by the way, chicken fat is underrated!

Mine is on the cooker. Three bowls works out at about 300 calories, if you make sure you keep skimming the fat. I find three bowls is two meals. Just a bit of the stock today, soup tomorrow, might end up with yet another fast day.

Going to dig out recipe books to find some other recipes, though we eat 2 or 3 chickens a week, was always large free range, ate breast only, the rest always fed the cats. Sometimes gave the cats the wings raw. No cats now.

But soup might just get us all through the winter.

Hi all fasters

I have had one of my boiled eggs so far. Can’t say I am really hungry. Yet. I am pacing myself so hopefully have full control lol.

I though maybe another egg at 2 pm. Then a 3rd at 5 p.m. Then some fruit.

I hope we are all keeping the faith!!

Just think of all those little clothes we can be wearing. Hemmy wish I could do one of your clever sayings but I am completely lacking in imagination at the moment………

Beverley

Glad we are all getting through the day o.k.

I have heard from ginette she is ok just busy with some family commitments at the min. I am sure she will soon be back with her motherly advise for us all.

Stay strong as hemmy says “bigger knickers ” we don’t want these!

Audrey

Hi All

Sorry but a bit of a hectic life at the moment, my son is moving, relations I’ll (not Pam) and many other things happening.

I am going to fast the three days a week but not worry about the other days for the moment, far too much to deal with. I just hope to minimise the damage.

I won’t be around a lot and where I will be won’t have Internet.

I’ll be back when it is all sorted and settled.

Ginette

FD for me and I’m experimenting with my nut milk. Had a packet of microwave porridge for lunch made with it – not too bad at all and certainly quite filling. 150 cals so ok for my lunch.

Tonight I’m doing a cauli “cheese” with nut milk and yeast flakes (so no cheese at all!) and adding tinned tomatoes and a tin of tuna with the saved calories. Will have to see how that turns out. May be something only someone from my family would like! I used to make a meal (that I got from my mum) that my kids called “tuna blob” which was tuna in a cheese and tomato sauce over rice. Its my ultimate comfort food and for my daughter too, so the fake cauli cheese sort of reminds me of it.

Hope you are all making it safely through lunchtime.

Ginette,

Get things sorted out then come back to us.. I for one am going to miss your common sense advice.

Keep in touch when you can

Good luck to all my fellow fasters stay strong

Milena I don’t know how you are managing a liquid only day today I am counting hrs till 5….. Good luck to you hope you make it

Audrey

Hi Audrey

Beginning to wish I had a pressure cooker, a couple of hours still before I can hammer the stock.

One of the neighbours , a young lad, came in to borrow tools this morning, watched me roughly chop a large onion, bung it in a frying pan with olive oil and stir. Added a couple of carrots. With the skin still on everything. He then watched me add it to the stock pot.

His face was a picture! He finally asked what I was making, Asked if I was going to eat the onion skins.

Then he said he had never had home made soup.

Which I thought was sad, cos neither has my son.

I taught both of our girls how to cook and how to make economical meals before they left home. 1 of them still uses her pressure cooker and slow cooker religiously and batch cooks loads of meals. The other one just uses what’s to hand and our grandson really only gets proper food when he comes here! He lives on freezer food most of the year, even his christmas dinner last year had frozen roast potatoes in it…..

It’s so much easier to give them nuggets and chips I suppose but she forgets she used to love cooking when she was at home!
    Kids eh

Audrey

Woweee… what some brilliant little fasters we are. X

Ginette hope all gets sorted asp and you can come back here where you belong . xxxx You are very missed.xxxx

Hi Milena … yes I need to do this old weight prob for once and for all. Going well today will defiantly reach 4pm.

With my soup … I have yesterdays carcus which I boil /simmer with a couple of onions and carrots .. bay leaves and parsley and thyme.

When its had a good while I strain off the liquid add a chicken stock cube or 2 and then add onions any old veg … today also half a cabbage ,,, pepper ,, 1 bacon rasher … then I will liquidise about a quarter to thicken. Lots of black pepper. Ekkk hungrey now Lol.

Good luck everyone …sounds like we are all going great guns today.

PS Thought only Audrey and I were here. Lol

Son forgot his hospital appointment. Raced out of the house, dashed around the bypass to the Royal, did it in 40 minutes, think it will take about an hour and a half to get back. Reckon we will be here best part of an hour.

Well, that’s helpful to keep my mind of food.

On the other hand, left the stock on the job cooking, OH is going out and I can’t reach him by phone.

Arggggggghhhhh!

Oh dear milena

Hope it doesn’t burn……nightmare

Oh Milena, do you think OH may have noticed and turned it off? Fingers crossed.

I am eyeing up my 3rd egg. Now hungry. It’s got to be worth it.

Hemmy you sound right on top of it! And Audrey too.

We are all so good today. Bed early I think.

Beverley

Alls well, Hubby turned it down – it was only on 2 but he turned it down to 1. It was turned off when I got home a few minutes ago.

He is worth keeping, it seems – the stock it delicious, but will have to go out for veggies. I don’t drive much nowadays, working with OH means I have a chauffeur, BMW cut into my lane as we exited a roundabout together – two lanes on and two lanes off. Life is so much less exiting sitting in front of the computer! Might need a drink – good job alcohol is liquid!!!

Just kidding!

How’s the day going Audrey – Hemmy, did you reach 4pm – enjoy the eggs, Bev, good choice. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 35,477 total)

You must be logged in to reply.