Fat Busting Brits!!

This topic contains 34,977 replies, has 403 voices, and was last updated by  symba7 15 hours, 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,351 through 15,400 (of 35,464 total)

• This is probably a silly question which I can answer myself, but is it a good idea to not carry out exercising on a fast day?

I have been walking but I am looking at going back to the gym. I was going to go tonight but if I’m fasting I don’t know if that’s a good idea? I have booked for water aerobics on Thursday though!

Hey hey,

Yeah exercising while fasting is perfectly alright. I always go to the gym and do heavy weight training followed by a nice long walk and I am always fine. Plus lots more athletes are now beginning to train while fasted. Hope this helps πŸ˜€

hey cakey,

A good rule of thumb which I used to follow was to find your TDEE is take you body weight in pounds and multiply it either by

14 – slightly active (3hrs exercise)
    15 – active (3 to 6hrs exercise)
    16 – very active (6 plus hours exercise)

reading what you do I would say that you are active so multiply your body weight in pounds by 15 and thats your TDEE.

Thanks Intermittent Fasting Guy. This is only my second fasting day and I tend to feel weak (and grumpy!!) on my fasting days! I am not really that active at the moment and I have a sedentary office job, but I am walking a lot more since I started 5:2.

How do I know how many calories I need to be eating on my non fasting days? I am currently using My Fitness Pal which says I should have 1200 calories a day which I have been doing so far.

No problem πŸ˜€ Just call me Kevin,

1200 calories sounds rather low to me. You don’t want to eat such low calories because it will in return slow down your metabolism then you will more than likely put the weight back on because your metabolism is too low. A mean u can’t see yourself eating 1200 calories forever can u? its not sustainable. How long have you being fasting for?

Thanks Kevin! 1200 is not sustainable and I am always hungry!

I only started 5:2 on the 3rd January 2018. I had my first fast day on the 3rd January and today is my second fast day.

Yeah you will always feel hungry. Its because your body isn’t used to intermittent fasting yet. For me the 5:2 isn’t the best fasting diet to start on I think you should start on the 16:8 fasting diet first. You fast everyday for 16hrs (8hrs are when you are sleeping) skip breakfast and then eat usually around 2pm. This method of fasting is better to begin with because you fasting everyday and it gets u used to fasting. What you think?

Oh my goodness I will be so grumpy!

Hi Paula πŸ™‚

There’s a calculator on here where you work out your TDEE. Click on the Resources tab above and select BMI calculator πŸ™‚

Also, I still exercise on my FD’s .. although probably didn’t at first. When I got more used to them, it wasn’t a problem πŸ™‚

xx

lol you won’t.

say you eat your last meal or dinner at say 8pm you now start fasting for 16hrs, so you will next be able to eat again at 12am the next day. And 8hrs of your fast are when you are asleep. The main reason people put on weight is because they are insulin resistant. fasting everyday like a 16:8 will help you become more insulin sensitive. Which will help turn your body from burning glycogen all day to burning fat. So you will have more energy and less hungry cravings.

Thanks Dragon Fly. Yes I think I need to let my body get used to whats happening to it before I start exercising on my FD. I only started last Wednesday so I will give it a little longer I think. I have water aerobics booked for Thursday and I will still continue with my walking.

I have also just got over the dreaded flu that everyone has which kept me in bed for the Christmas week, so I still need to take it easy I think!

Paula x

Oh you poor thing, the flu bug has caught so many over Christmas! Take care until your 100% better! I think walking should be fine and you can build it up, don’t do too much too soon πŸ™‚ Hope your days going okay today, I’m starting to feel slightly hungry. I find it comes and goes though, water water water πŸ™‚ xx

Hi Kevin, OK that sounds better and more sustainable! It does make sense too!

Oh, the flu was awful and especially at Christmas. Christmas this year was always going to be tough because of losing my Dad but it was made so much worse by having the flu. I can normally cope with colds, but this knocked me for six. I just about managed to make it to the cemetery to lay flowers on Dad’s grave and I managed to eat my Christmas dinner at my Mum’s but then had to leave as I felt so awful. Not a good Christmas but I’m feeling well again now thankfully! :).

I am hungry even though I have eaten my lunch so I’m drinking lots of water today too!

Paula x

yeah defo. starting out with fasting is hard. Some people find it harder than others, but it does get easier. Once you know what foods to eat and the right steps to take it soon becomes veeeeeery easy! and I am here to help πŸ˜€

so if you decide to start off with the 16:8 approach I can help you with it πŸ˜€

Paula *sending hugs* I can only imagine what an emotionally tough Christmas it must have been for you and your family this year, and coupled with the flu as well πŸ™ So glad your feeling better now πŸ™‚

I think a few here have done the 16.8 thing that Kevin talks of. I’ve never done it myself, but from what I hear about it, its more do-able for a lot of people. You need to try a few different approaches and see which works best for you, then settle into the routine πŸ™‚ The FD’s do become second nature before long, they really do πŸ™‚

HI PJ
    You’ll gather I’m a big fan of the feasting part of this WOL, so I’m really glad you decided to mark your Dad’s birthday – one day will not wreck things. And this WOL allows for the clebrations and then the ctl-alt-del someone came up with the other week to mark the end of that!

A few of us do spells of 16:8 every now and again because it’s a really good way of getting through prolonged times that are different – like holidays, the summer and so on, without it wrecking what you’re trying to achieve long term. I found that if I tried to do it for too long, though, I started ‘slipping’ round the edges (alright, we’ll call it what it is – cheating!) and the FD model is much easier as a basic pattern. But I’m all for ringing the changes – boredom breeds excuses!

As for exercise – don’t have time! Gave up the gym when we got dogs, and now they don’t need so much walking, I make myself walk everywhere. I’m really lucky in my job/life that most things are about 20 minutes away, and that there are always wee hills that get me out of breath for a few minutes wherever I go, but that are not so big I end up arriving for things looking (and feeling) completely wrecked.

Right – I’m giving up with this cold office…can barely type…and I’m heading out to visit people who hopefully have good efficient central heating!

Mx

Afternoon All…

I can’t believe I have been away three hours and 24 fat busting emails to catch up on…lol…what are you doing to me…lol

Well bingo!!..we hit our researching…a surprise for our friends they have bought an old cottage and we researching who lived there for them, from when it was built 1853 every 10 years till 1911….the early 30 years has been a hard pain to do but got there, Steve cracked it…bless…

We shall do a write up for them with research backing…they will both be pleased I think..a bit of a panic to get back to car without a ticket…

We are having a coffee…all going well for us at the moment…

Have a good day all….

Sorry page has turned over and too many posts to catch up on…line drawn…

Jean x

Kevin – thanks, I will let you know what I decide! πŸ™‚

Minois – thanks for your support, I am back on track now and there are no further events coming up now for a while so hopefully I will be ok. The next event will be Valentines Day!! I will cross that bridge when I get to it!! πŸ™‚

I will continue with the walking and do my water aerobics on Thursday, but like you I don’t have that much time as I also volunteer with the homeless a couple of nights a week so I wont be able to do a lot of gym/exercise work, whereas walking can just be incorporated in a normal day!

I hope you feel warmer soon, it is a very cold day today isn’t it. I hope we are not in for some snow!

Paula x

I felt guilty tried to go back and catch everyone…sorry if I missed you πŸ’•

Paula…
    It’s hard when you loose someone especially so near Christmas ..to celebrate your Dad with a meal is a lovely idea…my Mum would have been a 100 this year, I shall make her a cake in March as a memory, as I did one in memory for my Dad too..look at the TDEE for guidance top right of page keep just under it on NFDs…ignore MFP at 1200 just check the calories you use..

Hope you soon feel better…

Minols…
    Burst pipes are a nightmare hope it wasn’t too bad…hope OH soon gets better…must have a go at dumplings…go find some CH and get warm..

Lynne…
    You seem to be getting your jobs started and done another bedroom getting sorted…another tick for you…

Kay…
    Looking for houses again hope you find one soon and Ellie friendly…we will be your way hopefully in the summer I shall be asking where to go nearer the time…

Mich…
    Glad the weight is holding tight after Christmas well done..keep moving and adding steps is me….I can’t manage the gym.

DF…
    Hope you are OK seem to have missed your post somwhere..good luck at work today hope it’s warm…

Jean x

Paula, I would use the tool on here to calculate your TDEE and use sedentary.

Kevin, if I used that formula to calculate my TDEE, it would have me on 2250 cals a day and thats definitely too high for me. Interested to know where it comes from though.
    I agree with you on the exercising. I find it fine. But if you arent used to it, maybe its worth easing in to it. A lot of it will be psychological, so once you know you can achieve the fasting, exercise wont seem that daunting.

Paula, I dont eat during the day on a FD, just 1 meal early evening. But I have been fasting a while. For me its just better that way, as if I eat earlier in the day, I feel more hungry through the day. Others successfully spread their calories throughout the day, so you will find whats best for you.

I often do 16:8 too, but tend to do that on NFDs, just to give my body some extra repair time. If you do 16:8, that is, skip a meal, but dont restrict your calories on that day, its not actually fasting and you may not lose weight. So whilst its good to prepare your body for 5:2 its not really what the 5:2 is really about.
    Lots of things to think about!! You’ll be fine, we’ll get you on track?

Kevin, how long have you been on 5:2? Are you still trying to lose or are you maintaining? Welcome btw!

How’s everyone else doing on the mass fast day?

Im feeling ok at the moment and we hitting half way mark in the afternoon. Just had herb teas, black coffee and sparkling water. Might have a coffee with a splash of milk in later to take me through to 7.

Ive been doing some tidying up in the garden. Will take Ellie out for short walk in a bit, then just the bathroom clean to finish my list for today. Relaxed evening and an early night as Ive been going to bed far too late recently and that doesnt help with weight loss.

Hope everyone is doing ok. Its starting to feel cold here now so need to get up and move about!

Kay

Thank you Kay. I have done the calculations and my TDEE is 1664. Is that correct? And then I changed it to sedentary and it came to 1452? I’m confused now! And what is BMR?

Why does MFP tell me 1200?

And under 500 calories on FD?

Paula x

I am so pleased to have found this website,I get so much encouragement coming on here. I wish I was a better eater,so much food that I don’t like. Had too many calories yesterday and will have even more tonight, so fast days Tueusday and Friday.

Paula…

Your MFP is alway default to 1200 cals unless you pay and there is no need to…..it’s the old calories for other diets..

Your BMR..is what you use if you never moved..just breathed..laid flat on your back in bed..

TDEE..1452..that sounds about right for height and weight and sedentary …mine is 1698 but I am 5’ 8”….as you loose weight this will move down…as you need less calories on a smaller body..

Keep to 500 calories or under on fast days….as you get more into 5.2 you could reduce it to 400 but I still do 500 and loose weight.

Hope that makes sense..

Jean x

Thank you Jean! Sorry for all the questions! So I should aim for 1452 on non fasting days and under 500 on fasting days? What about when I start to increase my exercise?

Paula x

hey everyone πŸ˜€ sorry a have been quiet a was just away to the gym!!

Alrighty a lot to answer here haha I love it πŸ˜€

Thank you Kay for the welcome

I am not doing the 5:2 this now because I am wanting to put on more muscle so am sticking with a 16:8 this now.

however when I do a 5:2 a will eat normal 5 days and fast for the two days eating nothing.

what people get caught up in is calories. And calorie restriction doesn’t work. It works at the start and you do lose weight don’t get me wrong. But I bet any money you can’t keep that weight off once you stop your diet and to to stay that weight. The reason is because you are all slowing down your metabolism far too much. And when you do this your body slows and cools down to preserve itself and goes into starvation mode. its like if a give you Β£100 to spend everyday. You will spend that Β£100 but if I then only give Β£50 everyday you aren’t going to keep trying to spend Β£100 are you?

so say you start off and your metabolism burns 2000cals a day, and you decide to eat 1500 cals a day for like 2 months. Your body will sense it isn’t getting enough energy and will start to slow down your metabolism to 1500 or lower. And the more you keep restricting your calories the more your metabolism will drop. This is why many people hit a plateau in their weight lose. And when you calorie restrict like this your ghrelin levels, which is a hunger hormone rises making you more hungry. And since your calories and metabolism is very low when you eat normal you put all the weight back on.

do yous understand what am talking about so far? lol sorry I know its long lol

Paula, I went to the gym and knocked off 500 kcals. But I don’t use this as a ‘credit’ as this is an FD for me I will try and keep to the 500/600 cals allowance.. I know some are worried about exercise and fasting but I’ve always done it and Thursday I do a spinning class which is also on an FD so If you can manage give it a try. I have a banana beforehand and drink lots of water during the class. My advice just try small steps at first once you’re used to it then you can be more ambitious.

Home and the ribs are in for the boy’s. I’ll have some soup out of the freezer and maybe some wafer thin slices of cheese…and then into the bath and away from temptation. Been a good day and managed to refuse all but the tiniest nibble last thing. Should be under my 500. Yippee!

Mx

So I just had a major fail and my fast day is now a normal eating day. I got home from work starving. I’ve now gone over my 500 calories. Not good πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯. I don’t know what food to eat to fill me up? I’m Vegetarian and I don’t eat fish either πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯

Paula x

Paula…
    Michael Moseley says it’s good to excerise on a FD…up your water…as Mich says it’s money in the bank you can’t eat what you have burnt…

I would eat to 1350 to 1400 no more on a NFD….odd special occasions is fine but try not to…

Take it steady…and ask away….

You must plan your food on a FD..we have had a thick soup and salad with chicken…look on your veggie sites there must be loads about..count the calories of a meal….have you looked at β€˜pickuplimes’ a veggie site I really like her and her ideas..although I am not a veggie..all healthy stuff..

Minols…
    Well done we have finished too…a good day….enjoy your bath….

Jean x

Hi guy and welcome:

The ‘starvation mode’ is pretty much of a myth. Experiments in humans (not mice) showed that decades ago. For Dr. M’s view of the starvation mode, check the FAQ, above, and this one of his posts on the subject: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/food-thought-fast-day-starvation-mode/ For a complete education, check out the Minnesota Study, which I believe is mentioned in Dr. M’s post.

Another, easier way to look at it is by studying people that do long term water fasting. They lose weight at a consistent pace (in line with their falling TDEE) until they resume eating. Their rate of weight loss does not decrease even though they are eating absolutely nothing. And the guy that completed the world’s longest, medically supervised and documented water fast of over 54 weeks and lost over 270 pounds regained only five of those lost pounds over the five years following the ending of his fast.

I have not tried your TDEE formula, but it is easier, I think, just to use the TDEE calculator at the top of this page under ‘How It Works’.

As far as 16:8, it is not a diet of any kind. It is not a weight loss diet because it carries no calorie restrictions at all. You can eat twice your TDEE on it and gain weight, or you can eat half and lose, but it is up to you. Simply eating in an 8 hour eating window will not by itself cause any weight loss.

Nor does 16:8 qualify as a diet like LCHF, LFHC, Mediterranean or other food eating patterns loosely identified as diets. It has no required foods of any type, and has no foods you can’t eat.

Some people use it to help them limit the amount of food they eat by limiting the hours during which they permit themselves to eat food, and that makes 16:8 a useful tool for people using it for that purpose.

Aside from the fact there is no scientific evidence 16:8 carries any material health benefits, there are concerns that it negatively impacts a body’s circadian rhythm and recent information indicates people that follow it may suffer from an increased risk of developing gallstones.

You might look around at the many threads on this site and see what they are about. I also suggest you review the FAQ, above.

Good Luck!

Hello

Didn’t manage to complete fast today. I was doing quite well then it all went a bit wrong. Still been reasonably low so not gone mad but couldn’t call it a fast.

Been at home today, toing and froing between home and mum & dads, depending upon which builders, plumbers, floorers and decorators in. I didn’t have the Woof today as he went to work with his dad so not many steps either. Psh – drawing a line under today. Tomorrow is a new day to reset.

Thank you for the advice Kevin and Simco. I have to be honest I stick to the MM basics. It worked for me to lose 3 stone and fairly simple to follow. 500 cals x twice a week and about 1900 on other days (reducing as the weight comes off). I didn’t worry too much about what foods I ate as I found the more I got into it the more I craved healthier things, almost naturally stopping favouring chocolate or carbs.

Agree with the exercising on a FD. I was nervous and had a couple of light headed moments in hot yoga but fixed that with a banana beforehand. Otherwise it really feels good.

Working away Tues & Wed. It seems to make no difference to my discipline. If I’m in the mood it’s easy to fast when travelling and lots of choice. If I’m not in the mood then also easy to fall off the wagon. I suppose I’m trying to say I can’t use travelling as an excuse.

Has anyone used the ‘Calm’ app on the Apple Store? I saw it in the best apps of 2017 and have just downloaded it. It looks good. Some of it needs to be paid for to unlock but seems to be lots of free meditation sessions that focus on well being or anxiety or stress for example. I could do with one to overcome procrastination.

Paula – don’t worry about caving in. Just try again another day. Sometimes it’s so hard to resist. It does get easier but even those that have been doing this a while still have off days and can’t explain why. Try just saying ‘I can have it tomorrow’ sometimes that gets you through then the next day you don’t actually feel like whatever it was that you fancied. Listen to me, I haven’t been very good at taking my own advice today, but it’s worked in the past.

Minols, bath is my favourite way to escape temptation, especially when it’s getting to that time of the evening when I feel peckish .. or bored I suppose

Brads – checking in here really helps. Sometimes when we have off days we are reluctant to share. But we’ve all done it and by coming on here it’s a bit like absolution and helps with the resolve to not quit.

Kay – I don’t eat until evening on a FD either. Easier to keep going and enjoy dinner. I have noticed that many people feel the same on these threads. That have a small lunch tends to set the cravings off.

Hello DF too.

Thread has been lovely and busy today so sorry if I haven’t been able to scroll back far enough to keep up
    CW

Guy:

I just tried your formula for computing TDEE. I’ve had mine measured and it is slightly over 2400. The formula at the top of the page gives me 2385.

Your formula gives me 3640.

I don’t think so.

I will keep coming on here. We went for a meal but they were closing early for their Christmas party, so it was a bit rushed, on the plus side I only had 2 pints.πŸ˜‘πŸ˜My TDEE is 3770 so even though I don’t use that, I would be near our past it today. I try to keep to 2400 calories on non fast days.

Brads, it sounds like your full on day wasnt so bad after all. Hope your wife enjoyed her birthday.
    Hope you are geared up for your fast tomorrow! Go for it!

CW and PJ, dont worry about today..thats life. Can you fast tomorrow instead? Or do you have another day planned?

Minols and Jean, well done on todays FD! Mine was successful too, ended up just over 400.

NFD tomorrow and off out walking hopefully.
    I only managed 6700 steps today, which included a dog walk, but I have been busy all day, either in the garden or cleaning in the house, must have just been in same position for too long!

CW, Im going to see if they have that app on Android.

Has anyone bought any weighing scales recently?
    My mum gave me her old ones and we already have a set, but they are both old. Interestingly they both give the same measurement in terms of weight but are very different in terms of fat %. Weve found one set that pairs up to the fitbit app πŸ˜€ I do like my gadgets!

Thanks for passing by with your input as usual Simon πŸ˜‰

Hi everyone,

Thank-you simcoeluv for your input. Yesterday when I was reading posts, I actually hoped you would stop by πŸ™‚

How’s everyone doing today? My FD went well yesterday .. so glad one under the belt for the week. Next will be Thursday. I’m actually feeling a bit rough this morning, really bad stomach ache and feeling sick. My OH had the same at weekend, think its a virus. I’m sipping camomile tea and hoping it passes, feel so queasy at the moment πŸ™

NFD for me, which if things carry on may be an added FD lol.

Back later x

Morning All..
    What a dark day but not white this morning…

FD went well yesterday…..Minols you nudged me to try the scales this morning an inbetween weigh in…you have upset me..πŸ˜‚..scales seem to have attitude and I am hissing at them 2 lbs up 😑…a 700 day Sunday, and fasting yesterday…yes Friday was a very iffy day and fish and chips Saturday but that was all….they better sort them selves out for Friday …..

I got a nice compliment about my weight from my neighbour last night which helps ….lol

Cakey Wakey…
    Your house seems a nightmare but oh it will be so lovely when finished….enjoy your two working days away if you can..

Hi Simco…
    Lovely to have your input …nice to hear from you…big booty has not been about recently..hope he’s Ok maybe I have missed him about…

Brad..
    Good you worked around the birthday…hope she had a good one….good luck to FD …you are on the move…

Kay…
    Good luck with the search for another house, any to luck at yet?….I would like scales with a fat showing but mine are quite new…I would like 7 lbs showing too. My steps were about the same as yours yesterday, I try and move then slip back..

DF…
    Hope you feel better soon lots about at the moment …..and the coughs and colds…a FD maybe but not a good one!

Good luck to the fasters today…

Jean x

Morning all, well yesterday was a write off :(. I ended up going over my calories so I feel awful, but today is another day. I am doing a fast day today and I will try to be more focused. I am stressing about losing the weight for my wedding in May. I wish there wasn’t so much pressure to look good on your wedding day! But what will be will be!

Have a lovely day everyone and thank you so much for your support!

Paula x

Paula…
    We have all been there…draw the line start again today as you are…try and think ahead to what you eat on a FD so you have it in with no thought about other food…

As one of the girls said…it’s only one day you can eat tomorrow…good luck shout if you feel support…have a chat here without eating…someone is always about ….drink a lot of water…….says me who doesn’t..πŸ˜‚…or coffee or tea…

You will be fine..

Jean x

Thanks Jean! I did so well in the day yesterday but when I got home I was starving! I didn’t have breakfast yesterday which I normally do so I don’t know if that was the cause! I had one poached egg and a small slice of Weight Watchers toast this morning with a coffee and I feel full at the moment so I will see if that helped!

On my last fast day I had breakfast and did the fast successfully so lets see how today goes! I think my body is still adjusting to the diet!

Paula x

Hey simcoeluv πŸ˜€

Pleasure to meet you.

Ok I think my message is getting confused here. let me try and explain point by point.

Firstly the TDEE calculation I gave here. It does work. I am 154 pounds at 6.2% body fat and I work out 6hrs a week.

So for my calculation I do my bodyweight in pounds which is 154 times 16 = 2464 calories. When I do the TDEE on here I get 2571 calories only a difference of 107 calories which is perfectly fine.

Now for the water fasting. I did not say that fasting puts your body into a starvation mode. I have read that study of the man who water fasted for 368 days and kept it off. why was he able to keep it off?? simple. When you don’t eat your body uses up all your glycogen stores and then turns to fat for energy. When you don’t eat you also don’t produce insulin which is the MAIN cause of fat gain in the first place. NOT CALORIES. Insulin is a storing hormone. And why didn’t his TDEE get very low? Its because his body was using his fat for energy. SO his body now uses fat instead of glycogen keeping his metabolism high.

I believe a 5:2 is great for weight loss. if done correctly. on fast days either eat 500 calories or less. And on non fasting days eat your TDEE or what I like to call maintenance calories.
    One thing you should not do is eat less than your maintenance or TDEE calories every day for a LONG time because then you are NOT simply fasting you are instead just calorie restricting.

And when you calorie restrict your body will slow down your metabolism. NOT when you fast two days and eat your TDEE calories on non fasting days. πŸ˜€

ok now for the 16:8 talk.

saying that a 16:8 won’t cause any weight loss because you don’t restrict any calories is madness!!!! lol

what my point am trying to make and help people with is that CALORIES aren’t important. its not the MAIN factor of weight gain. How insulin sensitive you are is the main factor! INSULIN is the main factor of weight gain and weight lose!

the 16:8 helps you lose weight simply because you are restoring the balance of eating and fasting.
    if you fast everyday like in the 16:8 you are always depleting your glycogen stores and lowering insulin levels and become more insulin sensitive. The less insulin you use the less you store. (Fat) When your body senses that there is no glycogen in your body it starts burning fat.

This is the reason why people lose weight and put it back on. They believe calories are the answer!! Its not. your body doesn’t have a calorie counter in it. Hormones control your body. If I was to eat say 5000 calories of just broccoli. which is above my TDEE I can guarantee I wouldn’t put on fat.

Why?

because broccoli has barely any carbohydrates in it so it won’t spike my sugar levels up and make me produce insulin. NO INSULIN = NO FAT GAIN.

and if you do a 16:8 approach daily you are 16hrs without food and without insulin spikes. The less insulin being produced the more insulin sensitive you become resulting in lasting weight lose and teaching your body to be more a fat burner than a sugar burner.

My message is simply a 5:2 is great!!! fasting is amazing. just don’t worry so much about calories. focus more on great REAL foods healthy fats. and unrefined carbs! And also focus on stop snacking and just have 2 meals a day! πŸ˜€

Hi PJ – I’m a minister and I have NEVER married a bride who didn’t look absolutely gorgeous! You will look good no matter what! Doing 5:2 doesn’t have to be about your wedding day, it can be about being more healthy, being a weight that takes the strain off parts of your body, being better able to really enjoy all the things you and your partner want to do together for the rest of your lives. So draw a line under yesterday, and know that you are going to look fabulous in May!

Mx

Minois, thank you so much, that really helps! I already have my dress but because I did some comfort eating when Dad passed away I put on a little bit of weight which I want to shift.

I am getting married in a Registry Office so its not a big wedding but when organising the wedding I came across so many forums and websites with brides doing extreme diets and exercise to lose weight. I am not going down that route – what will be will be! I am also an older bride (we have been together for nearly 25 years!). I don’t have a lot to lose, but I do want to change my eating habits permanently which is why I chose to do 5:2.

I have definitely drawn a line under yesterday and I am determined I am not going to beat myself up about it. Today is another day!

Thank you so much for your support!

Paula x

Afternoon All….

Paula and other fasters …how is it all going?

Paula…a small breakfast may help you on a FD …we always have something, I tend to have frozen berries with a tablespoon of homemade granola, I make chai jam which I have a tablespoon that’s 20 cals. My breakfast is about 100 cals including a cup of tea….I use fresh berries in summer….or an one egg omelette, tomato, onion and smattering of cheese….another idea.

We are having a steady NFD day….my daughter has spent the morning with me, we had a good chat and she is holding her own..she is starting some yoga and mindfulness class so hoping it’s helps to lift her depression….it comes and goes but she will get there with us ( the family) supporting her.

Have a good day everyone…

Jean x

Hi all! Sounds busy on here…
    FIL passed away this morning- after all the hours we’d stayed with him, he went when we weren’t there, often the way, I know. WE couldn’t get a parking space anywhere, so had to go to a park & ride a way away & then get the bus. At least he’s peaceful now.
    Hope the newbies here get into the swing of it! I found the first few FDs hard, but mostly they’ve got easier!
    Paula- at the end of the day you will be hungry on a FD, but drinking plenty helps- I have sparkling mineral water & tea or herbal teas, occasionally an options hot chocolate. Soup really seems to help me, & I’m always cold, so it’s good to get warm. I also find having one meal seems easier, ‘cos I’m hungry anyway whether I have 2 or 3 small meals or just one, so I eat in the evening. Protein’s supposed to be filling so eggs or beans are fairly low cal, & veggies or salad- sometimes I have a jacket sweet potato with some chilli beans & salad. I know others on here keep a stash of carrot sticks handy to munch on. The good thing about 5:2 is that if you mess up a FD, you can do it another day, no harm done!
    DF- hope that you feel better soon!

Hi All

Hedgehogs, I am so sorry for your loss. I know only too well how that feels like. I spent lots of time with my dad before he passed away. On the day he died, my mum, brother, me and my partner were with him all day. My mum and brother went away for a little while, and he passed away about 20 minutes after they left so only myself and my partner were with him. Just heartbreaking, but he is at peace now. I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs.

I am so hungry and I don’t have many calories left for this evening so I’m scared the same thing will happen as last night unless I keep myself busy this evening. I am drinking water a lot. I was going to try not to eat at lunch time and save my calories for this evening but I started to feel dizzy and that only went away after I had eaten. I’m not doing very well!

Jean – I’m glad you are having a nice day with your daughter. I hope the yoga helps with the depression. It sounds like she has a lot of support which always helps.

Dragon Fly – How are you feeling now? There are lots of bugs and viruses going around at the moment. Drink plenty of water if you can keep it down. Sending hugs to you too.

Paula x

Hi guys,

Hedgehogs, so sorry for your loss, sending lots of love, and thinking you *hug*

Paula, I’m feeling a bit better than this morning thanks, a bit shivery and feel really tired, but I managed some dry crackers at lunch, and have been having water .. hopefully I’ll be back to normal tomorrow πŸ™‚ Try and keep going with your day, keeping busy is key, also if you notice .. hunger tends to come and go, so if you can just occupy yourself for a short while, it will pass. Trust me, it will get easier, just got to keep at it πŸ™‚ The first few are always difficult, but you can do it .. and we’re here for you! An hour at a time usually works for me when I’m struggling with hunger.

Jean, sounds positive with your daughter. I’m glad you spent time together. Depression is a horrible thing, hopefully the yoga and mindfulness will make it more manageable.

Minols, hope your days going good πŸ™‚

Take care everyone .. stay strong fasters, you can eat tomorrow πŸ™‚ xx

Not had anything to eat yet today.I have to have something so I can take my Naproxen tablet so I am Having a biscuit (88) calories. I am going to try and stick to 800 calories on a fast day for the first month or so then see how I do, I am having over a thousand calories less than my TDEE So should be ok, only time will tell.

Hi Brads27

I’m a newby and still learning, but aren’t we meant to stick to our TDEE or can we change it?

I’m still learning!

Hi Hedgehog…
    So sorry on FIL but he’s now at peace…our thoughts are with you …sending lots of hugs to all of you..

Paula…
    Hoping you can hold tight and manage the full fast….I felt dizzy at the beginning …you may need some salt, even a tip of a wet finger a couple of times with salt on the end may help…we usually say oxo or Bovril drink but not if you are veggie…

DF…
    Glad you are feeling a bit better…take it steady…

Brad…
    I think it’s a good idea 800 calories on a FD…you have a lot to loose and it gently helps you into your new way of life…keep on track well done….

Jean x

Viewing 50 posts - 15,351 through 15,400 (of 35,464 total)

You must be logged in to reply.