Fat Busting Brits!!

This topic contains 34,972 replies, has 403 voices, and was last updated by  hedgehogs 10 hours, 30 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,251 through 7,300 (of 35,459 total)

• Hi all

Gosh, you take your eye off for a few hours and you miss so much on this forum.

Soooo hungry today. Liquid only and ravenous. Sometimes it is so easy and others not. Plus home early and too early to start counting the hours til bedtime. Yes I know…rock and roll it aint.

On the plus side feel so motivated by November and love the way you have summarised It for us Kay. Stay firm at the pub fasting buddy.

Very well done Louise and Graham on great losses. Louise hope happy remains in control of pukey and any ‘other’ outputs of whatever bug you’ve picked up. Healing thoughts coming your way.

Jean, a good friend of mine had a knee replacement almost 6 months ago and still not really recovered (he is not a baby or anything) his surgeon told him it was the most painful of all the replacement ops and difficult also to be the one looking after him. I can see why it was easy to put back on under those circumstances.

Vi, your resolve in the face of your pain is awesome.

Hope you enjoyed your lunch Audrey. Good luck tomorrow.

Sorry not to mention everyone by name. I do read all of your comments. Come on fasters we are mostly through the day. We can do this. Non fasters loins girded for NiN!

Back to the boillion….oh well….TDEE tomorrow!

Ps jean, your sister does not sound helpful at all!

Sarah…

It will be a trying day…I saw her Sunday she talked about herself for a full hour an half, Steve fell asleep three times I don’t think she even noticed..lol..lol

I have just text and told her all food is in hand don’t bring anything! Big breadcakes, chocolate, cakes, all arrive I hope she was listening!!

It will be a light day she should of come Friday….

X

Jean, it sounds all extremely painful. Hope you are pleasantly surprised! X

That’s me finished come in at 493 calories…

Jean x

Symba

“Should of read 14.12 not as good as you thought!!”

its all good!!

great psychological boost to be “14 something”Love going over the mark on the scale and see *13* coming towards me!

Nearly at the end of the FD – skipper/chorizo soup has done it’s job and filled me up, but left enough cals for me to have a little stewed fruit and custard. Off out with the boy in a little while to see if anyone else wants to give him sweets, and leaving my OH to handle the bowl of sweets at home. We’ll see how easy it is to resist a werewolf on your doorstep…he’s pretty fierce!

Hope everyone manages to give their sweets away…
    Mx

Hi all, I actually posted earlier but it’s not there, so here I go again, busy weekend and very calorie filled one, didn’t fast today, but I think I will try my first liquid fast tomorrow, I will be joining you on NIN and I will do 2 fast days and try a 3rd liquid fast and try and eat within my tdee, I really struggle with that, hope your all well, roll on tomorrow.

Hi all

I have had a lovely day… if I feel well tomorrow I am going to try for a fast day….

Night all well done to all the Monday fasters

Audrey

Morning all.
    Well my November’s started well, Im down 3 lbs this week. It’s been ages since I’ve lost a good amount. Im feeling very positive for my nail it November.
    Hope we all can gave a good month. 😀

So it is officially the first day of NiN.

I completed successfully yesterday but I found it really so difficult. Not sure if that was because it was a Monday. I usually do a Tuesday but today I have to go out for tea at posh hotel. (Yes tough job etc LOL) It is a work commitment with an external person I don’t find easy. They are taking me and there are just two of us so while I will be able to avoid the whole cream affair they offer, I will have to have a small something.

Anyway I was in bed by 9 last night. Husband had cooked sausages and mash for his supper and there were two cooked sausages left. I love a cold sausage and it was torture. I did seriously consider eating them as I would still have been under 500. I need to think carefully about whether doing liquid only is making me feel more deprived and so eating more on NFDs. Now I think about it, i have lost less since I began doing liquid only but I had put that down to other reasons. I will continue as I am for a while but try to focus on NFDs.

The other thing I have given myself a good talking to about is alcohol. It is clear that during October (3lb total that month loss only compared with 7 in September) I just had far too much and even normally I routinely drink half a bottle on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I am going to find it difficult to stop that (embarrassingly!), but it is clear to me this needs to be significantly reduced.

Well done to yesterday’s fasters and good luck to those fasting today. Special thoughts to those who have stalled a bit. Hopefully NIN will be a renewed start. I can do this and so can you! Xx

Ps just to make it clear the half a bottle is wine not laphroig or cognac or absinthe or anything, although I am partial to all of those….LOL LOL.

Well done caspersmum on your 3lbs that is brilliant.

Hope your little werewolf was irrestitable Minols. Can you tell me what else is in skipper soup except chorizo, i have a stash of that in the fridge and it would be good to do something uncharacteristically low cal with it!

Have a good day (down) everyone!

Morning All,

A dark morning today, a change in the weather TV says….

A strawberry and blueberry breakfast for me….sister will be arriving shortly, so will be missing a bit today.

Carol..
    Great news on the 3 lbs off, you must be so pleased. You have your ups and downs…so a good one 😀

Sarah..
    Hope the hotel thing goes ok, it’s hard if you are with people you don’t really want to be with. Try your best around the food thing, I am sure it will be better than you think.

Re the alcohol, we are about 18 days now only having one drink with our friends on our lunch out. We seem to be sleeping much better and we are getting not really bothered to have one. I am out on friday with a girls lunch, I am thinking I will have a tonic and coffee…un heard of for me…lol

Audrey..
    Hope the blood tests went well and you are fasting today…

Ginette..
    Are coming to join us, we are missing you.

Good luck to the fasters today….make it a good one.

Back late afternoon.

Jean x

Jean, looks like we both have tricky meetings today…. You are inspiring on the alcohol. I kept on saying I can’t significantly reduce that. Wake up and smell the calories Sarah! There is nothing wrong with me (my OH may not agree lol). I am just self indulgent. It is no wonder I am fat!! X

Morning Everyone,

I feel better, thank god 😊. Thanx for your lovely thoughts made me smile 😊😊.

Well, yesterday (31 oct ) didn’t really go according to plan 😕. 36 hour fast (not planned) but I think the stomach is a lot better for it 😊. 157 calories eaten (smoked salmon). 2.8 litres of water and no exercise…the mind would of liked to but the body was very unwilling lol 😂.

So, today I’m gonna av an easy day 😊. Not eating much so might struggle with 800 calories, def on the 3 litres of water n if mind and bod are willing Zumba tonight 😊.

Carol, fab news on the 3lb loss that’s fab 😊😊.

Sarah, good luck with lunch today, be strong with all that lovely food 😊😊.

Hi Jean, brekkie sounds nice. I hope you have a nice day with yr sister 😊.

Hi Audrey hope the fasting blood tests went well. Can I ask are they for diabetes or something completely different?

Good luck to everyone fasting today and also those who aren’t. Come on November lol 😂

Louise 😊😊💗💗

Morning all

Have been to see Dr this morning I have got bronchitis. .. sorry no fast for me I still feel dreadful 😵. ..

I am in the midst of cooking a roast turkey joint and stuffing balls (long story) it’s the last thing I want to do but it’s out the freezer now. ..

I am avoiding all things sweet and hopefully will soon feel better once the tablets start to kick in..

Love to all

Audrey

Morning all, and well done Carol.

Sarah – skippers soup…I’m doing this from memory, and I always make at least a double portion because it fits the tins I have better, and I often have two portions, one at the end of the afternoon and one when the rest of the family eat…
    50g chorizo, chopped, and get it in the pan on a low heat to start releasing its own oils
    1 decent size onion, chopped, and into the chorizo’s oils
    1 can, drained of any type of bean (400g), haricot, butterbean, kidney bean – whatever you have in the cupboard (if I’m making a whole load for the freezer, I mix in all types of beans)
    1 stock cube (of any kind…this is a really forgiving recipe!), made up with 300ml of hot water…PLUS another 300ml of water, or more depending on the thickness you like
    You can add seasoning, but I don’t think it particularly needs it, and just add a shake of smoked paprika

I let mine bubble away for 10mins last night because I was in a rush, whiz it up with the breville thingy that turns everything to baby food (what’s it called?) and enjoy!

If you keep it nice and thick, it’s also good as a ‘sauce’ for meatballs.

Oh, and crucially, half a pot of the above quantities is about 150cals.

Mx

Minols
    Your soup sounds good, will give that a try.
    Audrey
    Sorry to hear you have bronchitis. Hopefully you can get treated and start to feel better soon.

As for drinking drinking alcohol, I more or less gave that up a couple of years ago. I woke up early one morning and felt horrible do decided drinking wasn’t good for me. I do have an odd cocktail and a glass of wine on hol now and then, but nothing most of the time. My OH drinks heavily and everyday no matter what. Wine then spirits. He’s even topping up his wine with sherry or port now. But he says he doesn’t have a problem. Yay right.

Carol

I too am going to try the soup…well done on your weight loss. .

Once the Turkey is cooked I will be making my cure all Turkey soup…

Aud

Audrey, Thank, I needed the loss as its been a while with going haywire with my eating.

Ah yes turkey soup. Cures anything I believe. I always have the legs left as nobody in my family likes the leg meat. You’d think it would be easier to buy a turkey crown but no, they like to see the whole roast turkey on the table. As my family expands my turkey’s get bigger. I’m up to a 10 kilo one now, can barely get it in the oven. 🦃

Hey Guys

So yesterday I had my soup just as planned an it was tomato just as planned, but, not as planned, my dad put a ridiculous amount of pasta in it. I don’t think he gets the concept of a FD. Why would he? He did this diet years ago, and thought he could have 800 cals on a FD. So now I have tons of soup in my freezer, which I don’t think I can use on FD’s. What do you guys think?

I will have a noodle-salad tonight. Tomorrow is my last FD.

Hey Carol,
    Yay on your loss, so happy that November started on a good note for you

Hey Louise,
    Hope you’re doing better, that pukey feeling can be a real bitch

Hey Audrey,
    Bronchitis! Ouch. Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy on the fasting and yourself

Hey Jean,
    I hope you have fun with your sister despite everything. I can tell you that the other way around, your family constantly telling you “should you eat this and this” is no fun either

Hey Sarah,
    Giving something up that you’ve grown used to is never easy. I never liked alchohol. In fact I still have the palet of an 8-year-old, but I’m with you on the first point.

We have a new girl working here, as Thijs is going on paternity leave, and she looks like Miley Cyrus. She’s 5 years younger than me, and talks in this infuratingly didactic way. It will take some getting used to

My best friend just had a baby. I”m trying to be happy for her and I really am, but this is the point where our lives divide forever. She is a mother, I am not and I will never be. It’s just something we’ll never get to share. That makes me sad. I’m still living in the same kind of room I did when I was 12. My circumstances will never really improve. Sometimes that just gets to me.

Like I said. Most of the time I’m an optimist, but sometimes…

How is THIS for being wordy :p
    x

Well its 1st November, so if you didnt start yesterday, today is the day!

Yesterday went according to plan and today Im fasting on fluids only.

Well done all those who fasted yesterday and well done Carol for that weight loss, hopefully that will give you a boost, you deserve it.

Audrey, hope you start feeling better soon and Louise Im glad you are on the mend.
    Vi, I felt like that with all my friends when we took different life paths. Its hard when the 5 of us meet up now as they all talk about their children etc and I cant contribute. Ah well, maybe they envy parts of my life, who knows….
    In regard to the pasta in the soup….hmmm….what a shame as it will significantly change the healthiness of it.

Jean, I hope your day goes better than anticipated 🙂

Sarah, I hear you!!

Must dash, off to work. Dont forget to stick to your plans, and stay away from those baddies!

Just consumed my tub of salad – a thing unheard of a year ago. But I’ve discovered Caesar salad dressing, and I’ve never looked back! Now I have this purpose built tub designed to keep the dressing separate until lunchtime, and with wee spaces for the chees and the bacon bits…Fabulous!

Vi – I get you with the lives that divide…but I also challenge you a bit if you feel like it, to find a way to stick close to your friend. I’m a late mother, so I was young, free and single when most of my family and friends married and had kids…and I lived with the divide, shrugged my shoulders and let the friendship thing drift. We’re still friends, but I let them get immersed in the changes happening to them and stayed out of it a bit. I have one friend – who I didn’t know well at the time – also single, childless, who became a great friend over the years, but who I noticed also worked REALLY hard at her own group of friends…the married with kids ones. She took an interest, coped with sudden changes in plans, never forgot a birthday or a passion for dragons/dinosaurs/space… And as those kids grew up, she made a big thing of birthdays, of achievements, and she is absolutely included in every thing as the boys have graduated, changed their minds about careers, girlfriends etc. They take her for movies now. She did what I should have done. I am a distant auntie to most of my own nephews and nieces, and un-known to many other young people I could have loved and been loved by.

By contrast, my pal has genuine friends of all generations, and she has been practicing the same thing with my boy since he appeared 7 years ago. Through some rather convoluted circumstances, I now have two new nieces and a nephew that don’t live too far away, and I’m trying to learn from my pal, and be an extra/spare adult in their lives as they grow up.

I know I can bore on about the boy…but then, I can bore on about my dogs, about cars – it’s my occupation, I can bore on about most things. I’m just glad I have a friend who can cope with all of that, all the things that we don’t have in common, and even come to love the really important ones (not the dogs, she’ll never really love the dogs!)

So – wordy back at you, Vi! (and smiley faces, I just still don’t know how to do emoticons!)

Mx

Hi everyone

i did really well yesterday having a porridge for breakfast then out all day and soup at 8 0’clock last night

feel great today I can feel my whole system is glad of a break!

going out now in my new hoodie and heart monitor to do an aerobic walk the first time since my op (boy did I milk that operation as an excuse for all sorts! It was in July It’s now November)

That’s why I’m wanting this thread to be an incentive to keep me accountable but we’ll see

I haven’t decided yet but I can’t really face adding a day of 800 calories on top of my Monday/Thu fast days as part of NiN – need to think about it – the last thing I want is for the 5:2 to become a drag like everything else I’ve tried

I may just claim starting my power walks as my NiN committment

Perfectly acceptable NiN commitment, Graham!

If you look back over the thread, you’ll find we all at times are really glad for a FD to give our bodies a break and re-set the system…it’s nice to be reminded of that on those other days when a FD seems like hard work. Now I just need to decide which day I want that ‘break’ to be…tomorrow or Thursday?

Vikathy and Minols your posts resonated with me as a childless single man

I did what your friend did with my sister’s children Minols but my sister had posessiveness issues and felt I was the popular uncle and she was doing all the hard work bringing them up and over time didn’t want to include me (or my brothers – I’m one of 5) or even my parents by which time I had bonded with them deeply so it was a horrible experience

Consequently my four nieces grew up keeping me at arms length following their mother’s example and now as adults I have a very odd detached relationship with them

My brother’s two kids are another story he and my sister-in-law were perfectly comfortable and unthreatened about how close I was no their lovely amazing daughter and son and like your friend I am a big part of their lives in their mid-wenties and they are like friends to me (friends who I hug a lot – they like to remind me they’re not 4 any more but it doesn’t stop me)

I’ve done the same with my friends kids with the same love coming back

but I’ve paid the price in other ways – I’m well aware I’m a second class citizen in the scheme of things but it’s worth it to be part of their family

not easy

Hi all

So the turkey gate saga is done. .. I asked ian to get something out of the freezer yesterday and he left my turkey breast out overnight. .. luckily I found it this morning as it is in the freezer which is situated in the box room…

So my Christmas turkey is cooked. .. we have had roast turkey with vegetables and one stuffing ball and big drum roll please. …
    I AM UNDER 500 KCALS… yes it’s a fast day ….😆😆😆.. just not sure what we are going to eat at Christmas now. ..

Have a good evening all

Audrey

Hi,

Back in the land of the living survived 9 hours of sister, not as bad as I thought, I really should have more patience….and no she didn’t bring anything which was a bonus…on the other side we had more food today than we should.

A 800 day tomorrow leading into a FD Thursday.

Audrey..
    You are really in the wars hope the chest improves and you feel better. Good you managed your FD…well done when feeling grotty.

Just catching up with the turkey saga…that’s just what Steve would do..a man thing…sorry Graham.

Hoping all the fasters are doing well today.

We are going to have a quiet evening after all the talking.

Jean X

Hi all, so far have managed amazingly well on my liquid fast, but night time is here and that’s when I struggle just away to have an oxo cube. Audrey hope you feel better soon, I used to get bronchitis a lot when I used to smoke and it’s horrible, wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Sarah57 I am with you on the alcohol, I enjoy a vodka at the weekend and to be honest, it’s one of the only luxuries I have these days, so I am just going to work it into my tdee.
    Hope everyone else is fine.

Caspdexy

Well done on your liquid fast, have an early night you have done an amazing day…shame we can’t count alcohol as liquid isn’t it?

Audrey

Don’t temp me Audrey!!!!, unfortunately having an early night, just never happens with me, I enjoy a bit of time at night to catch up with programmes, when I have gotten my daughter and Hubby to bed. This is when I usually stuff my face, but I will resist (hopefully).

Hi all, well here we are in the land of NiN and as usual a lot of very profound posts and some humour too.

Minols, thank you so much for the skipper soup recipe, tomorrow is a NFD but I will be having skipper soup. It sounds lovely and I almost always have all those ingredients in so a great standby too.

Minols and Vi, both of your posts were so profound. Minols, you have a very lovely way of expressing such genuine truths amd alternative views of the world. Vi, I am a mum and a grandma but I really believe and always have believed that the connections we make with other human beings can and should transcend blood. Those connections and the chance to do some good for others or maybe help them along their path a bit, when we can, are the meaning of life.

Graham, you sound a lovely uncle and surrogate uncle. Please, please don’t ever think of yourself as second class citizen. Those who love you, and you have told us about some of those people today, certainly won’t think that. I think they are lucky people!

Louise get better soon and make the most of not feeling like eating as a sort of recompense for not feeling well!

Casp, Kay, Audrey and anyone else fasting today. Well done so far and keep going. Good on you casp for trying liquid. Although I found yesterday very hard, I actually do find it easier and less painful to eat nothing for the day. Weird but true! I agree with Audrey, go to bed as soon as you can, shut your eyes and start dreaming of breakfast.

Jean, glad it went better with sister than you were expecting and that you had a nice day. My meeting was better than I expected too and helped along by a (small, honest) piece of lemon and thyme cake.

Audrey, turkey gate! I really did LOL. I did think this morning it was pretty dynamic catering for a Tuesday. Hilarious, though I am now convinced my OH is living a double life between here and Crewe! Hope you feel better soon and well done fasting despite bronchitis and turkey (LOL).

So food for me aside from the errant cake has been two cold sausages of the meaty kind and just about to tuck into a batch cooked bolognese yanked out of freezer and made into chilli with a tin of kidney beans and chilli flakes plus quinoa. A lot for OH, who is slim and lovely, and a reasonable amount for me. Quite hungry which I put down to that cake! Will resist the creme caramel dessert bought by OH, which I love, but don’t think i can afford the 180 cals. Nothing then until tomorrow lunch time. Despite the cake I am actually quite pleased with that as a NFD.

Goodness so much has already happened in November! I feel privileged to be part of this thread. Xx

PS Casp, you WILL resist x

Vi, not even going to pretend to know who Miley Cyrus is but hoping the new person grows on you and you can help her with a less didactic style x

Hi guys I wonder if anyone could help me please, I am new and I am wanting to try this diet, I am reading through what to do but I am still unsure, on the days you are ‘normal eating’ I take it that’s healthy eating (do we have a calories range to stick to) then on the 2 days fasting is it 500 calories for a woman please?
    Also how you know what calories is in what food, how easy is this to follow please, I am wanting to have another baby and I have quite a bit of weight to lose and was hoping this would help. I would be really grateful for any help please, or some to email me, if that’s allowed? Sorry for all the questions I am just confused by it x

Hi Lynx…

Welcome to your new way of eating.

If you go to top right of screen ..fast diet tracker .. if you fill all your details in you will get your TDEE which is how many calories you have to stay under on a non fast day, I do normally 1200/1300 calories sometimes as a treat I go to nearer my TDEE. As you say healthy food.

If you use Myfitnesspal app, on your phone, it gives you all your calories for food and registers your weight loss.

Buy 5.2 book by Michael Moseley.

Join here with us for support …we have a lot of new people at the moment just started in the last few weeks. It’s good to get support from each other and it’s free and friendly.

Jean x

Hi Lynx

At the top of the page there is the resources section. In there you can calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) to see how many calories you should be having. Then on your fast days have 1/4 of that. You can choose ant two days, its up to you. Whatever suits you best. On the other days you eat up to but not more than your TDEE. Do not treat these days as a free for all. Either read the label on the food packaging or just google “calories in a banana” “calories in chicken” etc. Its not that hard. No foods are banned as such, but not all foods are good for you. 2000 calories of vegetables is healthy, 2000 calories of cake and biscuits is not healthy for you. There is no magic involved.

Avoid anything with sugar!! This is not part of 5:2 diet but if you want to eat healthier then I would avoid, sugar, any grain based food like bread, pasta, pizza biscuits cakes etc. Avoid potatoes, rice. Avoid fruit juice, if you want fruit have a whole piece of fruit. Fizzy drinks, sports drinks.
    Limit alcohol intake. Avoid anything that says low fat like the plague, it will have huge levels of sugar. Just eat like your mother used to drum into you as a child. Lots of veggies, some fruit, some meat, some dairy. No snacking in between meals.

Hi symba and bigbooty, thank you both for replying I am just trying to get my head around this, I have purchased the booked just waiting on them arriving. It says women should stay under 2000 calories on normal days and 500 for fasting days is this right? I take it you stay away from chocolate, crisp, cakes all the sweet stuff and keep away from sugar as much as possible to have a better result. Would I be allowed slimming world meals (they are free on slimming world) or not? I love veg so that’s not a problem, cant bare fruit make me ill. Would something like cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch, meat and veg be ok for dinner on normal days (no snacking bigbooty yes I agree very much).
    On the 500 calories aday what do you ladies eat roughly, I just need to get the hang of things. Do you weigh daily or weekly? x

Hi lovelies,

And welcome Lynxy, I am new here to and there is a lovely group of peeps here who have a vast wealth of knowledge and support for you if you need it 😊😊.

Wow, I have read all your blogs and you do make me smile and laugh and think with the fab lives you lead 😊😊.

Glad everyone is ok.

I’m feeling a lot better this evening. So the 1st November looks like this. No gym (Couldnt face it this morning), 668 calories eaten (still not up to full strength), 3 litres of water and 12,000 steps walked. Oh and a Zumba exercise class.

Stay strong everyone feel like I’ve done a whole month already lol.

Happy fasting tomorrow.

Louise 💗😊😊💗

Hi Lynxy26

I can see you are struggling with this, go onto my fitness pal and enter your weight etc, that will give you an approximate realistic number for the amount of calories you should consume on your non fast days… the 2000 for women us just a general amount. On here my TDEE is 1600 kcals but on my fitness pal it is 1200 which is what I aim for on non fast days.

You can eat pretty much what you like on your non fast days as long as you stick within your TDEE …

On on fast days we all pretty much do different things… some just do fluid only days, I like to keep all my calories and then have 1 meal at the evening, others split their calories up, just work out what works for you..

A lot of us make our own soups to eat on fast days but some ready meals are under 500 kcals, whatever works for you is right for you there is no wrong way of doing 52, as long as you stick under your TDEE on non fast days and 500 or less on fast days. Hope this helps.

Audrey

I just typed a post but accidently came out of the page and lost it!!! Aghhh

I need to sleep so here is the shortened version!

Well done everyone who has posted and had a good day!

I did my fluid only day today and Im with Jean and Steve and doing 800 cals tomorrow into a FD on Thursday.

Keep those goals in mind everyone, its day 2 tomorrow.

Kay

Spent the evening babysitting my 4 month old grandson while mum and dad went to dinner and a show. Its been quite a challenge because he’s breastfed and won’t take a bottle which meant I had to dribble the milk she left into his mouth with a cup whilst he screamed. Not ideal but as it was their Anniversary I didn’t mind. It’s what grannies are for. I’m very close to my family. I’m very blessed.

FD tomorrow for me.

Lynx,

Im a male 55 yo. Youre allowed anything you like on this 5:2 diet. Is every food as healthy as every other food? Absolutely NOT!! Use the resources button at the top of the page to find out your TDEE amount. 2000 cal is a generalisation. Depending on your age weight fitness you will need a different amount of calories. Use it as a guide rather than an absolute value. I tend to fall into what most people consider a strict food eater. I don’t think Im strict, I find it easy to eat healthy so its not a chore for me. I didn’t know what healthy food was so after doing some research it became obvious. I made the switch and I really find it easy to eat healthy. I went from 202 lbs to 156 lbs (46 pound loss) in one year.

If you want to do slimming world that’s up to you. Ask yourself this. Is it working for you? If it is great, if its not why pay money for something that isn’t working? 5:2 is free and it saves you money. Up to you though.

OK so what do I consider to be healthy? I say “I” because not all people agree with my version of what are healthy foods. Sugar and added sugar is not good. Try and get this as low as possible. I think most on this forum would agree on that point. The rest of what Im about to say, there will be people that agree and those that do not. Take on board what you want. Processed grains are bad for you. Examples of processed grains are: bread, pasta, pizza, cakes, biscuits, anything with flour in it basically. The flour is broken down into glucose VERY quickly which causes a huge insulin spike. Insulin is the hormone that directs excess glucose to be stored as fat. Fruit juice is bad for you!! All the fibre has been removed and you are just getting a glucose (sugar) hit. Breakfast cereals and muesli bars are pure junk. Nothing but a sugar hit. Plain oats are marginal (I personally don’t have them). If you buy a lot of processed foods in packets or cans read the labels. If it has more than about 5-7% sugar content put it back on the shelf. Its NOT good for you. Smoothies are not good for you. Smoothies kill your sense of portion control. Would you be able to eat 2 bananas, a cup of berries and 3 peaches and a pint of milk in one sitting? No! Blend it into a smoothie and its not a problem to drink it though. I don’t like smoothies. Protein shakes? Not a big fan of those. They are typically based on whey protein which is not that good a protein and will spike your insulin response. You want to keep insulin levels as low as possible if your goal is to lose weight.

You say you don’t like fruit? Is this all fruits or just particular ones? I personally tend to go for the berry type fruits like strawberries, blueberries. I also like apples and kiwi fruit. Don’t be scared of fats, they keep you satiated for longer. Examples of good fats are: full fat low sugar plain greek yogurt. Nuts like almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts. Avocadoes are fantastic.

Go for your cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussel sprouts etc. Zucchini, eggplant, cucumbers are good. Sweeter veggies like peppers and carrots are OK but do contain more sugar. Avoid potatoes at all costs. Not good for you.

This is what a typical day for me. Breakfast, 2 table spoons of full fat yogurt with a handful of nuts and berries. Lunch: 100g can of tuna with a salad. Some nuts or roasted beans for a snack. Dinner: a big bowl of raw veggies made into a salad with some tofu or chicken or tuna. Sometimes I’ll have a veggie curry, no rice. Sometimes a piece of chicken with salad. Sometimes a bean or chick pea curry. Desert, some raw almonds or other nuts. No cashews (sugar content is too high).

Hope that helps. Ask questions. Read the book.

Hey BB, great to see you on this thread. 😊

Welcome Lynxy, I can’t believe anyone here would disagree with BB and what he writes is always helpful and interesting even after doing 5/2 for a while. And he is right about reading the book. For me BB represents the ideal of healthy eating if you like, but there are degrees. The more you can move towards his philosophy the better your weight loss and healthier you will be, most of us here try but don’t quite manage those standards. 5/2 can fit in to many lifestyles. I am nearly a couple of months in and 10 lbs down. Just start, stay with us and good luck.

Well done on liquid only Kay. I am always admiring you can do liquid only and be posting so late as I have to go to bed so early to safeguard the last few hours.

I guess you have plenty for cold turkey today Audrey……

Good luck to any Wednesday fasters on the second day of NiN x

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for all your kind words yesterday. Though I might have given the wrong impression. The girl I mentioned is not my best friend so much as my oldest friend. We aren’t close, we hardly even speak. With all my relationships, it’s like if I don’t put the effort in nobody will even talk to me. I used to think this was because I was not likable, but I realised it’s because my life is a lot more “uninvolved”, shall we say, than most people’s.

Anyway, today is a FD. I can already tell it’s going to be a long one. A hard one. Oh well, at least it’s the last one

Hey Kay, Minols
    I’m glad you each found a way of coping with the different path your lives have taken. Minols, your pal sounds really cool. I would make that sort of effort too, but kids tend to be very freaked out by me. Even my nieces, and they really should know better 😛 It’s always hard when you feel closed off from the people who were closest to you. Even say, when you’re not skinny and they all are. It’can make you feel isolated. I’m sure we’;ve all felt that to one degree or another. I’m just very thankful to have you all.

Hey Audrey
    I’m late in mentioning this I’m sure but those Christmas cakes ( which I had had to look up the recipe t0 ) look really lovely. Don’t even want to think how many calories there are in one of those bad boys 😛 Good job on that FD

Hey Sarah,
    We share a similar outlook on life, as well as a love for vanilla and pizza. I still think you’re a boss, for doing all those LF’s

Hey Graham,
    You sound like a really fun uncle. I hope you’re settling in well to the diet

Hey Louise
    You’re a champ too, managing those steps and Zumba! while your still under the weather

Hey Lynxy
    This is one of the most adaptable diets that you’ll ever see, it’s very easy to fit it into any lifestyle. All of the advice people gave you is really good and I can only add one thing: don’t be too strict, and be kind to yourself. You’ve already taken the first step. That’s a good thing!

Hey Jean
    Glad your day with your sister was nice. Enjoy the peace and quiet

Hey Carol,
    You seem like a lovely grandma, good job on getting back into the swing of things

Hey Caspdexy
    Nice job on your FD!

Sorry if I missed anybody
    Have a good day!
    x

Morning all, well I completed my first liquid fast with very little issues, sure that won’t last, normal fast day today, enjoyed my porridge this morning, but really looking forward to trying courgettie (first time), and making turkey mince bolognese to go with it, have a lovely day one and all, I had better get back to work.

Morning all

Successful fast day for me yesterday hurrah. …

I have now got 6 portions of turkey stuffing balls and sausages in the freezer plus 7 portions of turkey soup… the jury is now out on what we will have at Christmas but as I am at mums leading up to it can decide later, perhaps just gammon…

Thanks bigbooty for the in depth explanation for lynx I knew someone else could do it better than me…

We are on spaghetti bolognese tonight, then may go for a 2nd fast tomorrow perhaps turkey soup? HeheHe lol

Have a good day all, together we are stronger

Audrey

Morning all – just checking in. Going to try and keep it low today and ease myself in to tomorrow’s FD. Salad planned for lunch, and meatballs in…skipper soup tonight! Can’t get enough of the stuff, eh? But at least it means it will be ready made for tomorrow.

Have a good one, everybody.

Mx

Morning all – just checking in. Going to try and keep it low today and ease myself in to tomorrow’s FD. Salad planned for lunch, and meatballs in…skipper soup tonight! Can’t get enough of the stuff, eh? But at least it means it will be ready made for tomorrow.

Have a good one, everybody.

Mx

Morning All,

A beautiful blue sky day….will be cold.

Lots of plans of jobs at the caravan this morning, a wrap up warm morning.

THEN the central heating boilers broken, the heats been on this morning but now off….it looks like a wrap up morning with a change of plans!!

Lots of interesting things to read from everybody. Frightened of missing anyone out..sorry if I do.

Louise..
    Lovely to hear you are feeling better.

Audrey…
    Turkey and stuffing balls, you made me laugh are you competing with me…I have the presents you have the dinner…lol…we should join up…hope your chest is getting better have you antibiotics?

Casp..
    Well done on your liquid only day…have a good day at work..

Vi…
    We have people scattered about and not many visitors, we ring people, visit people, catching up when we can…no one visits us, no one can be bothered to ring….we feel like we are chasing all the time you get fed up about it. My two daughters visit and my sister but she is on a go slow at the minute.

Hey ho that’s life…I am glad Steve and I get along so good and I have my virtual friends on here…❤️

Graham..
    I think we all think others have busy lovely life’s but it’s far from it. Enjoy the company of people who love and care for you and give your love back to them. You can’t chase and keep trying all the time, you have to give up in the end.

You are definitely not a second class citizen, you are a person in your own right and a lovely uncle.

Carol..
    A lovely night babysitting..a bit challenging night but it’s lovely..

Kay..
    We are with you today….800 cal..we were a bit heavy on food yesterday.

Well must go and see what we are doing with this heating….calling a man I think…but which one?

Jean x

Viewing 50 posts - 7,251 through 7,300 (of 35,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply.