Fast Vegetarians??

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  blueyonder 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I am interested in trying the fast diet but would like to know if there are any fast vegetarian out there?? I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be possible as many veges contain protein in varying amounts.

I’m not sure why you are worried about protein particularly, but being vegetarian is no problem at all.

I’m actually a fallen vegan as I can’t resist cheese so I am stricter than your usual veggie (I don’t eat eggs either) but it still isn’t a problem. I only use cheese when I want something fast. Everything else I cook is vegan. I’m avoiding processed carbs too so lots of beans and veg. I’ve kept to it for ten weeks now and am having a bit of trouble keeping my trousers from falling down:) And I have seen improvements in mood and energy levels and with my arthritic fingers. Go for it.

Hi blueyonder

Intermittent fasting doesn’t place any limitations of what you eat, just how many calories on given days. The rest is your choice. If you can manage to get sufficient protein from your chosen vegetarian diet at the moment then there’s no reason you can’t also do this on a 5:2 plan.

Frankly, the longer you read this forum, the more diet restrictions you’ll come across – everyone has their own idea of what’s good for them. Some don’t eat sugar, some don’t eat grains, some have decided all carbs are evil and seem to avoid them completely, some try to get 90% of their calories from fat, some prefer a high protein diet, some don’t eat meat, dome don’t eat dairy… you get the idea – it doesn’t matter what type of foods you usually exclude, you can make an intermittent fasting diet work for you.

There are quite a few forum topics on vegetarian choices and legumes that you may find worth reading, I’ve copied a few here, but there are many more:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/beans-and-lentils-recipes-tips-and-information/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/i-am-trying-to-eat-a-vegetarian-diet-how-can-i-get-the-protein-that-i-need/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/ohh-really-eating-beans-peas-chickpeas-or-lentils-can-help-losing-weight-i/

I exclude nothing from my diet (except things I don’t actually like, or things I am certain are harmful, such as transfats). I don’t much care for the taste of meat or poultry (except for lamb). So I get most of my protein from legumes (which I eat virtually every day), whole eggs (and eggwhites on fast days), dairy, nuts, seeds and nut pastes, tofu and high protein-high fibre grains (eg freekah, kasha and quinoa). I only eat meat and seafood occasionally, otherwise I have issues with anaemia which no amount of iron supplements seems to be able to correct (which is the only reason I still bother eating meat at all).
    I haven’t found that the 5:2 plan interfered with these dietary choices.

The only restrictions that you need to follow are to eat approximately your TDEE on 5 days per week:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/
    And then eat up to 500 calories (for women) or 600 calories (for men) on 2 “fast” days per week.
    Again there is a lot of variation, with some people liking a gap between their fast days and other preferring to do them back-to-back. Some do a full water fast and eat nothing, but most seem to consume some calories, up to the 500/600 limit.

There is also a lot of variation in when people eat on fast days. Some eat breakfast and dinner, others lunch and dinner, some just eat dinner and some graze all day – do what works for you.
    What works for me is to skip breakfast and start eating as late in the afternoon as I can manage. I’m doing a fast day (FD) today any my plan is to have 1-2 apricots mid-afternoon, then a low calorie laksa for dinner followed by a handful of cherries. I’ll also have some cups of tea with milk throughout the day – that will be about 500 calories.

It may take a little while to work out what works for you on FDs.

thank you both for your helpful feedback and useful info. Just begin I hear you say, choose two days and don’t sweat the small details. ok, great!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.