Ohh Really!! Eating beans, peas, chickpeas, or lentils can help losing weight, I

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Ohh Really!! Eating beans, peas, chickpeas, or lentils can help losing weight, I

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  grantsforcollege 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• I Read this post, which says that eating beans, peas, chickpeas, or lentils can help in losing weight, seriously?? Can it be put into practice?? http://www.gnet.org/eating-beans-peas-chickpeas-or-lentils-may-help-lose-weight-and-keep-it-off/

Ho hum, more magic bullets! They are quite hi carb so some diets say use in moderation, but because of their high fibre they often carry some carbs through without absorption. But they do cause gas as the gut bacteria love them and produce lots of gas waste! Probably the usual moderation required. I use lentils in soup instead of potatoes as a thickener, really good and ups the protein. And chickpeas are great in Moroccan style dishes. Houmous made from chick peas and Tahini paste is really nice too though I don’t use on fast days.

I think the real star is whole soya beans, especially if you can find organic ones, as they are very low carb, high protein and really nice added into stews like Hungarian goulash and could probably be well used on a FD. In fact, thanks for the reminder, I’ll do that. They must be soaked for 8 hours and are best then cooked in water first, not put straight into a stew.

The article says there is mainstream folklore that legumes help with losing weight, and a study, that has some limitations, that support the idea.

However, this is the year of the pulse! http://www.fao.org/pulses-2016/en/
    so it is a good time to get more pulses into your diet! I love them so much I started this thread for tips and recipes: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/beans-and-lentils-recipes-tips-and-information/

Remember, the more you eat, the more you can eat! You need to build up the gut microbes that can deal with them. One of their benefits is that they help build healthy gut flora.

They are high in protein and a low GI carb. Excellent!

Warning, about 10% of people have an allergy to soy beans.

I didn’t know that, Cinque. But it’s important to pick them over when you’ve soaked them. Any that look grey rather than creamy coloured should be discarded. My mother used to train people in using soya bean cooking and making milk and tofu when we lived in Africa, as it’s brilliant for helping people who’ve had Kwashiorkor, the disease from prolonged malnutrition. Properly made soya milk can help children absorb nutrients again. We knew a young man who’d had Kwashiorkor, he became a very talented sculptor, but he still needed occasional treatment.

My husband is vegetarian, and he loves all kinds of beans. During religious lent (practically a vegan diet) we eat a lot of those. My husband is boyishly thin. So, i believe that.

I always soak beans overnight, and than through then in slow cooker with a little bit of olive oil, canned petite tomato, chopped garlic, turmeric, and a lot of parsley and cilantro. Add water to fill the cooker. Leave it in the morning on low. Come back from work to tasty diner. My husband takes the leftovers as lunch to work for a couple of days.
    We alternate black, white, red, kidney, and all kinds of beans.

Chickpeas I usually buy in cans and blend them to make humus. Also they are good in salads.

Soy we eat only green in pods (edamame), we buy it in pods (fresh or frozen) and boil for about 15 min. I love them! It is excellent healthy snack.

For me all beans are more protein than carbs.

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge.. how often should we eat these things, if take them more in our diet, will it affect our health?

I suspect that your gut needs to get used to them gradually if you’ve not been a bean eater before. So probably don’t eat them daily at first. If you buy them dry, always soak them well as Coldpizza indicates. This starts to convert starches to proteins, basically you’re beginning the sprouting process. Already sprouted legumes are good too, either raw in salads or added to cooking.
    Soya beans are one of the only legumes that have first class proteins, like meat does. My understanding is that this protein is more readily used by the body.
    I make a bean goulash sometimes which I find delicious. Soak some soy beans and some chick peas or butter beans ( a more floury texture) overnight. Simmer in fresh water very gently until the beans are soft. If using butter beans this doesn’t take long, the other two may be half an hour to an hour. Sauté an onion in butter or olive oil, then add other vegetables of your choice. I use garlic, chopped celery, green or red sweet peppers and anything else in the fridge that I fancy eg green beans, chopped fennel or celeriac root. Stir them round well in the oil, then add a couple of teaspoons ground paprika, stir gently in the oil for about half a minute, then add a can or carton of chopped tomatoes and their juice. If you like the flavour, add some caraway seeds for an authentic goulash taste. Then put in your beans of choice and cook gently till the veg are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you aren’t vegetarian you could add meat but it doesn’t need it.
    If you use red or black kidney beans, it’s important after soaking to boil them slightly faster than you would other beans for about ten minutes before slow cooking. This is because they have an enzyme which is not very good for you but it’s destroyed by heat.
    I’m not a vegetarian but in the past I used beans and lentils a lot as they are delicious. I’ve a feeling I started to put on weight when I lowered the quantity in my diet as my partner didn’t like them very much. But possibly correlation not cause! I’m stepping them up again now.

Hey, that’s really true that’s why vegetarian people are almost thin but healthy.

Leak is also effective to reduce weight, you got to boil it with water and drink the juice twice a day, eat the least food you can!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, i also got this link please share what is your take on that. http://bit.ly/1O2g7nw

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.