Fast Partner

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Moa 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Hey All!
    Today is my First day of living Fast and was wondering if anyone would like to be a Fast partner. It would be great to motivate each other and celebrate progress. I have been trying since I was a teen to find a suitable method and this diet sounds great. Please let me know!!
    Thanks

Hi Nyika, I started last week, and today is my 4th fastday. How is it going so far?

Hi Niyika and Ann247,
    I’d like to join you both and share our experiences with 5:2. I’m sure it will help keep us motivated if we share our stories. I’ve been a yo yo dieter for what seems like forever and I’m still overweight! After seeing Dr. Michael Moseley’s program and doing some research online, I’ve come to the conclusion that this way of eating makes a lot of sense. I started on Monday at 97kg (I’m in Australia hence the metric) have had two fast days On Tuesday and Thursday. Today was weigh-in and I’m down to 93.9kg. Whilst I realise that most of that loss will be excess fluid I’ll take it anyway! I think we need to congratulate ourselves for taking this first step to a healthier life.

Hi Ann247 and Cheetah! Thank you for joining. Yesterday was my first fast day and resisting the nibbles was a HUGE challenge because I NEVER resist my cravings. I’m hoping I will get used to it after a few more fast days. Are you finding yourself getting used to it Ann247? Good on you Cheetah for committing to this. I have also chosen Tuesdays and Thursdays for fast days. I have also resolved to jogging for 40 minutes at least 5 times a week and although I did not go today, I did run from Monday to Thursday so plan to make up for the 5th day this weekend. Stay strong and let me know how you are getting along!

Hi all, just checking in. Hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to write a few of my thoughts down, so far.
    This way of life is definitely making me more mindful of what I eat. The fast days are easy because we know how much we are permitted to consume but it’s not a case of ‘anything goes’ on non fast days. I read posts where people give up because 5:2 isn’t working for them but when you see what is consumed on non fast days it’s not really surprising. To my way of thinking we should be eating a balanced diet with plenty of veggies and protein 5 days a week with an ‘occasional’ treat thrown in. Eating anything you want for 5 days might include a roast dinner with potatoes and gravy not empty calories such as an excess of cakes and desserts.
    As an example yesterday I had two pieces of lean short cut bacon, one egg and a piece of toast for breakfast. A flat bread wrap with ham and salad for lunch. A pear as a mid afternoon snack and chicken and salad for dinner with about 6 fries. My treats were two gingernut biscuits and a mince pie! Certainly not excessive in my mind. On previous diets I would have had weetbix and skim milk for breakfast (not as satiating as bacon and eggs) a lunch of low fat yoghurt and fruit (avoiding carbs in the form of bread) and maybe a piece of grilled chicken and steamed veggies for dinner and absolutely no treats. No wonder I was doomed for failure. I felt very deprived, consequently it never lasted more than a few weeks and food was on my mind constantly.
    Just knowing I can have anything to eat now means I’m not demonising certain types of food. If I have the six fries with dinner, so what. I don’t feel restricted and yet I’m mindful of what I eat. Therefore I think this is a sustainable way of life rather than a ‘diet’. I have choice. Xx

Hi all, I had my fast friday ( my 4th), with no kcal at all. That went very well. My weightloss is very little, but I have taken of 4 cm of my waist, and also some of my hips, and I feel good about myself. This weekend we are in a hotel, till tuesday and yesterday we ate at a restaurant. Eating wise I didn’t overdo it, bit with tha alcohol I got plenty of empty kcal. Well, I did enjoy the drinks 😉 have to work on neglecting them though,,,
    My fasting days are normally at the beginning of the week, but this week it will be at wednesday and friday, I think. With wednesday probably low kcal and friday non or vice versa. Have a good weekend!

Wishing you all the best of luck.

its been my experience as yoyo dieter most of my life tht this diet has worked for me over the long term. For me it meant try not to overly concerned about the scale. Just as long as I stuck to 600 cal fast days 2-3 times a week I could see the scale move over a months time. Thats been 20 months ago since I started .I had to find other ways to get enthused, because the scale didnt always show fat loss. Like my clothes were becoming loser or I had gained muscle or water weight. What I saying is please dont let the scale keep you discouraged. If you find the semi fast days that are tolerable and keep on keepin on. You will lose weight over time.
    best wishes

Hi Nyika, please can I join your group? I really need the support of a new group, have done 2 day fasting before which helped but I have started again after about 9 months off and am really struggling. Please let me know how you are doing?

Hi All! Welcome Katser12. Cheetah what you say makes a lot of sense, and depriving myself of the treats have ALWAYS resulted in binges a few days later. Today is my second Fast day and so far so good. Started the morning with a Tabata workout (my first) as jogging didn’t happen today and it’s pretty fun to do. You can try it out here too if you like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9WKyN1rig

then had a small spring roll which I know ate into my 500calories but plan to not indulge again except for some fruit and veg intermittently. But I must say I do feel more tired than usual and concentrating on work is hard…but I am determined to stick this out. Have a great week ahead and stay strong!

Hi all, and welcome katser12, sorry to hear you’ve been struggling but you’ve come to the right place for support. Hoping everyone else is keeping the faith! Fast day today and have managed well. I’ve done a liquid fast because I wanted to see how I’d go. Pleased to say it’s not been too hard. Lots of cups of black tea and glasses of still and sparkling water and a clear broth at dinner time for a bit of a change!! I’m looking forward to tomorrow and eating normally again 😉 I cooked yummy lasagne for the family tonight, and whilst I would have liked some, the thought of getting healthier and slimmer appealed to me more.

How has everyone else managed today?

Nyika, I find your comment on being tired very interesting. For me it appears to be the opposite. I usually have a fuzzy afternoon slump but today I didn’t. I wonder if this is because of blood glucose levels? I’m becoming more and more interested in the physiology behind our fasting!

Hi Nyika and Cheetah, and Katser,
    Whenever I fast, I feel more alert, and that is also the feeling that keeps me awake at night, so it has its downsides. But then again, I really like the feeling of being alert 🙂
    Sportwise, this month has allways been a troublesome one fot me, more excuses than reasons to exercise. I allways feel a bit depressed, and this year I am not really fighting it. January is about to start, and thats just fine by me. I will get two fastdays in this week, but I think I will enjoy my non fast days. We’ll see. Better partial dammage control than no control,right? Best of luck, Ann

Hi all,
    First ‘normal’ day of the week following yesterday’s fast and feeling good.

Today’s breakfast was a small bowl of porridge made with water and a morning coffee with 125 ml skim milk (357cal). Lunch was protein rich with a large egg, 100g lean short cut bacon, one piece of toast and 130g baked beans (459cal) which was incredibly filling.I had a kiwi fruit as a snack and my treat for the day has been a chocolate teddy bear biscuit (126cal for both). That leaves 658cal of my 1600 cal allowance left to last for the rest of the day, which will be plenty.

I have recorded my activity level as sedentary for the moment as I’ve been carrying a couple of injuries this year which are slowing me down. I’m hoping to increase activity levels gradually, but one step at a time.

I’m hoping everyone else is keeping motivated and I’m looking forward to us supporting each other along the way.

Hi everyone, i’d really love to join this group! The support is just what I need to keep me on track too 🙂 Hope you all have a great day, whether fasting or not. Stay strong 😀

Hi Dragon Fly and all.

My 3rd fast day didn’t go so well and didn’t exercise either 🙁 🙁 coming down with a cold and nearing “that” time of month so I just had a full dinner hoping to feel better. Do any of you manage to fast when feeling under the weather? I hope to make it up this weekend hopefully.

Not feeling so strong right now… boo 🙁

Hi Nyika, I too have tis problem, don’t feel well with stress and upcoming period. Don’t know if it is a real cause or a mindtrick, but couldn’t stay strong today and will try (when i hear tomorrow wether I still have a job in 2015) to do better. Today is a waste. Pity, but there are more days to come 🙂
    Good luck to you!

Hello all,
    Nyika and Ann247, don’t beat yourselves up over yesterday as today is a new day. I have also had many ‘off’ days over the years during my many attempts at weight loss. We are only human and sometimes life just gets in the way. As long as we recognise this we don’t need to punish ourselves with negative thoughts of guilt and failure. Sometimes the thought of many months ‘dieting’ can be overwhelming. Previously I would be motivated for a couple of weeks and then I’d have a bad day and have some ‘forbidden’ morsel whereby I would throw my hands in the air and give up. All is not lost with 5:2. If you’re not happy with a particular day, start fresh on the next day. One bad day doesn’t negate all the good days that have gone before. Simple!
    I had a good fast day yesterday and I am managing the calorie restriction quite well. Drank lots of water and black tea. Weigh in this morning was 93.4kg down from 97kg at the start (Dec 4). Had bowl of porridge for breakfast. A multigrain ham roll, apple and mince pie for lunch. Dinner tonight is trout, salad and small baked potato.
    I think this way of eating should be sustainable. No food is forbidden on non-fast days; we are in control. As a consequence we make the right choices most of the time.
    Hope the Christmas shopping is going well 🙂

Hi, I am Liz and today is my 3rd fast day. I am planning most weeks to make Saturday and Monday as my fast days. I didn’t quite get the balance right in my first week. Lost plenty on my fast days but gained most of it back during the week but now I have calculated the maintenance calories for the rest of the week I can monitor intake more effectively on my non-fast days. Hoping to make it to the end of the day…..

Hi Liz and welcome.
    Like most things in life, 5:2 isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ approach to fasting. It appears that most people tweak it a little to suit their own particular needs before settling on a regimen that suits them. Some lose quickly, some slowly. It doesn’t really matter how we do it as long as we are committed long term. This is a new way of life for me too. I was going to start on Jan 1, but made a conscientious decision to start on Dec 1., this way I will be more mindful of the Christmas calories. I will eat to enjoy on my non fast days but without going crazy (I hope 🙂

Hi Cheetah, it is nice to feel that I am not alone in tweaking 5:2. I too decided that to start in December was a good idea. However, yes, I am committed to making it work for me. Thanks for the support. Consistency and commitment are the keys I feel. I also plan to enjoy Christmas and think I will do so even more knowing that I have fast days factored in 🙂

Hi fellow 5:2ers,
    I look forward to my Monday and Thursday fasts as it makes me feel as though I am actively contributing rather than benignly following a ‘diet’. For me, the mind games, self sabotage and feelings of deprivation are my undoing. It’s Monday, it’s fast day – and I am in control.

Hi everyone! I’m on my first real fast day and so far it’s going so much better than I thought it would. Tried to fast twice last week but ended up caving and stuffing myself full with chocolate and bread the second I got home… Now it’s almost half past four where I live and I’m still not overly hungry. This week I’m much more prepared. I think I feel better because I skipped lunch this time, whereas I tried skipping breakfast last week.

How are you all doing?

Hi All,

How is the fast diet going for you? For me it completely failed over the holidays and over January. Having a lot of friends around and travelling is completely incompatible with the Fast life and I very guiltily (but gleefully) dived into all those cookies and cake and chocolate.

Now I am trying to get back on the wagon in February and so far it’s been a killer. Totally lacking motivation and inspiration!! Hope you have been more successful than me in your efforts and want to hear all about it either way.

Best wishes

I gave up completely after a week, but now I’m back too! My motivation waned, but it’s beginning to return and starting tomorrow I’m going to make sure to stick with it.

Did my first fast day yesterday and it went great! When I tried it a couple months ago I felt awful, but yesterday was fine even though I was quite focused on food. On today’s non-fast day, however, I wanted to eat pretty much everything in sight just because I knew I don’t get to eat tomorrow. I devoured a whole package of cookies, used as much dressing on my salad as I possibly could and ate lots of cheese…

Maybe the overeating will even itself out over time as I won’t want to undo the hard work of the fast days. I hope I’ll be able to make that psychological switch, at least.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply.