Does a splash of milk in tea break the fast?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Top tips
Does a splash of milk in tea break the fast?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ross G 4 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• I really miss my normal tea. I usually just drink hot water or the occasional red bush tea but wondered if a teaspoon of milk would break it?

Just count the calories into your day’s total. I have milk in cuppas on fast days, it works for me šŸ™‚

Good question. I do take milk in my morning tea on fast days. I wouldn’t survive otherwise but I restrict the amount of tea I drink over the course of the day and do count the calories into my fast day total. I only drink tea before midday and then allow 1 cup at 9pm to a maximum of 4 cups on fast days. I use soya milk, unsweetened and restrict the amount in each cup to between 60 to 100 mls, using 132 kcals of my 500 allowance. On non-fast days I restrict my tea to 5 cups per day. All pre-midday except for an extra cup at 4pm and my usual 9pm cup. As I am a complete tea Jenny this is quite controlled for me and I find it manageable. I drink plenty of water, hot & cold and herbal teas throughout the course of the day. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should clarify that I try not to eat anything for at least 16 hours since my meal the night before. So only have a dinner of 500cal. I.e I do a true fast throughout the day and donā€™t eat/drink anything except water usually. would love a cup of tea in the morning but worry that itā€™ll stop the benefits of a 16 hour fast

Ah! Well here’s to you and well done. I couldn’t do that but this journey is different for everyone and my method seems to be working for me at the moment. I suppose that even a splash of milk breaks your fast so good luck.

Hi @delusco – if you are doing 5:2 then of course you can have milk in your tea on a FD so long as you account for the calories within your 500cal allowance.
    However if you are wanted to do a water fast then I would no. However from the reading I have done I am not convinced that 16hrs of water fasting gives you any of the long term health benefits – have you read or listened to any of Scientist Valter Longo, a professor in Gerontology and Biological Science at the University of Southern California, work??

Delusco,

Are you just trying to lose weight? Or are you wanting to get into ketosis and stay there for other health benefits? It is highly unlikely you will get into ketosis after 16 hours. Maybe but highly unlikely. Its easy enough to measure with a keto meter. They are cheap to buy. If its just for weight loss then I wouldn’t worry about it. A splash of milk is going to be 10-20 calories. So that sets you back about 10-20 minutes. You burn about 1 calorie per minute. I “water” fast for 36 hours and allow myself 2 coffees with a splash of milk and it doesn’t stop me from going into ketosis after 20-22 hours. I then spend 14-16 hours in ketosis before I break my fast.

As for having coffee or tea during your fast ā€” you should be just fine. As a general rule of thumb, if you drink something with less than 50 calories, then your body will remain in the fasted state. So, your coffee with a splash of milk or cream is just fine.

A splash of milk won’t hurt the diet. go for it.

Hi, personally I lay of the tea with milk and instead go for a herbal tea instead, lemon & ginger tea bags are good, you can always put a few slices of fresh ginger in to give it a kickšŸ˜But can’t see any reason not to have your normal cuppa, just add the milk to your calorie count.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.