Do you exercise on fast days?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Do you exercise on fast days?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Roy Chowdhury 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Hi all

I’m pretty good with exercise, I do cardio or weights at least 5 times a week. I was thinking I would make my fast days my “rest” days, as I was worried I might not have enough energy to complete the exercise, or that the excercise would make it harder to stick to my fast.

I would be interested in knowing how others spread their exercises around. Do you avoid exercise on fast days, or exercise as normal?

I exercise on fast days – Today is a fast day for me so this morning a went for a jog/walk burnt almost 500 calories and I feel awesome. It is 4pm here and I did my run at 7.00am.

Just see how you go, if it makes you feel terrible then use them as a rest day.

I exercise 5-6 days a week.

Thanks Kiwiana

I went for a walk at lunch time. Just half an hour. I feel fine! I was just worried I’d get all shaky, but no problems at all. First time I’ve tried to excercise withough having eaten for 15 hours, and it wasn’t what I expected. In a very good way.

Elphaba
    I swim on Fast days. When I started 5:2 six months ago I just swam 40 laps but today I realized I was swimming my normal 60 on fast days. I was interested in Micheal’s program on HIIT and as I couldn’t get a lot of detail on this forum or googling I invented my own and I do 3 bursts of 20 seconds cycling as fast as I can before I swim on fast days.I’m 60 and am doing 5:2 with my husband. My weight loss has slowed in the last 2 months so I’m trying a few new things. Any other ideas?

Hi! I’m just slow in excercise, I walk for about an hour,or I do steps on the Wii Sports. I can watch TV while I’m doing that, so it doesn.t feel like excecise. I try to do this 5-6 times a week, but mostly I i’ll get to 4-5 time a week. I deffinitly excercise on my fast days, I hope to lose weight sooner by doing that. I started last week, after a week I lost 1 kilogram. I am happy with that!

I exercise in a gym on fast days, and also the next morning before breakfast as this is prime time for fat burning, having used up all my glycogen reserves the day before. I do sometimes have to reduce the effort levels on the machines on the second day as I lack a little of my normal “zip”.

Thanks for all the good info.

Today is my fast day and I just returned home after a 6k run, with speedy intervals. Kind of a HIT training, to stimulate my metabolism.
    In a while, after my shower, I will make a green smoothy, max. 200 cal. The other 300 I will save for tonight πŸ™‚
    I have to mention that I am an experienced runner, and to run on my fast day does not bother me at all. It absolutely feels good to me.
    good luck ( from Holland) to everybody !

I swim 4km 5 days a week at 7am, including fast days (A bit slow, takes me 1 hour 40 min). My fast day is from after lunch to lunch, so my swimming is after 18 hours of ONLY WATER (I don’t eat at all on fast days, I find it easier) If anything I have more energy on fast days and find the exercise easy. I am constantly amazed at people who say they are tired or cant exercise, energy levels seem to me to be increased and I’ve never suffered headaches or the wobbles

I just started the 5-2 diet this week (2nd fast day today — go me!). I’m bad about not taking rest days from running so I decided to either rest or walk on fast days. On my 1st fast day (Monday) I decided to walk, and I felt so good I walked really fast and hard for about 45 minutes. I’m still sore — which is funny because I’m actually more sore than when I run. Today I’m kind of tired from running hills yesterday so I might take a rest day due to that, but I didn’t feel any ill effects exercising on my 1st fast day. I think it’s hard for all of us since it’s beaten into us that we’re not supposed to exercise on an empty tank, but actually it seems now like scientists are backtracking on that? In any case, I have dinner when I get back from whatever walk/run I do so I think my bases are covered.

Today has been my second fast day and an exercise day. I worried about this until I suddenly realised that I normally go to the gym after breakfast (non fast day is a little fruit juice and some cereal with semi skimmed milk), and I am having breakfast on my fast days (egg and half grapefruit). So, no real difference with energy intake on a fast day. However, my previous gym day was Tuesday and this was the day after my first fast. I definitely felt my energy level was diminished – I keep a log of heart rate for every activity for each gym session so it was easy to confirm this feeling(each activity resulted in slightly raised HR). There was nothing serious, but I just felt ‘not quite there’. However, there were no ill effects at all post that session. So I think there’s more to consider when exercising the day after a fast day than exercising on a fast day. However, I do go early in the morning – it might be different for people who go late in the day.
    Silverback

“Elphaba – I was thinking I would make my fast days my β€œrest” days”

I’m intentionally making my fast days as my active days.

There’s more initial energy on the first day, and additional time from not preparing, eating & cleaning that feeding involves.

While I do run/walk, I have not yet done a HIIT sprint workout on a fast day, and I’m curious how that will be for me?

On feed days, I’m doing Tabata HIIT intervals:
    Full speed for 20 seconds, get off the treadmill for 10 seconds, and jump back on again. 8 times.

I wonder what physical effects there would be on the body over a long period of time, positive or negative.

Michael Mosley mentioned that men adapt better to training on fast days.

Any feedback on doing this for extended periods?

Hi there, I exercise at max 5 days a week regardless of it being a fast day, if I feel abit lethargic, I just give that day a miss or do something low key. I think exercise is good for the mind as well as the body. The hardest part is coming in from work and putting on the clothing and trainers straight away, soon as that is done I am committed and out the door. Don’t think I could do this without breakfast on a fast day! I have noticed that my stamina for running has definitely improved and being 3kg lighter has helped, that and the abs I see starting to appear πŸ™‚

Hi folks,
    I cycle five days per week. Mid week rides are either HIIT or 2 to 3 hour hill climbing sessions with the weekend being either racing or 6hr endurance rides.
    My question is, if I burn 1,400 calories in one ride and then fast, should my calories for the day be slightly higher than a rest day fast?

I suspect not, but I also think that you should make sure that you feed properly on race day/ endurance ride day, especially after the ride.

I know that racing makes it harder to eat lots while on the bike, but for the endurance and hill rides you should probably make sure that you feed well while riding as well as afterwards. I reckon that this is one of the reasons why cycling jerseys have 3 pockets!(and bikes have 2 bidon cages)

I started exercising on fast days, but I found that I tended to get more craps and become more tired on fast days compared to feed days, so I switched.

I hope it’s actually more beneficial to exercise on feed days (I do 4:3) because they say the “fat-burning” process doesn’t occur when you exercise, but 24 hours afterwards.

Yesterday was a feed day. I walked 10 km. And today, on a fast day, I feel no brain fog or exhaustion.

I go to the gym and lift weights on my fast days, I have a problem in my shoulder with what my doctor said is a torn muscle that keeps me from going too crazy. So its just a moderate weight lifting routine that I do, and lately I been mixing it with some pilates afterwards. I find that if I work out too hard on my fast days I get extremely hungry later on in the day which makes it hard to not bail and go eat some real food, so exercise is always good but too much might work against you.

Hi All.. Just wondering can you eat more than 500 cal… say around 800 cal if you have worked out in the gym and burned off 300 cal?

Whats your suggestions

Hi Roy and welcome:

A standard question.

No, you do not ‘eat back’ your exercise calories. Exercise is included in your TDEE so eating back exercise calories is in fact overeating on 5:2.

The real question is why, if you want to lose weight, do you want to eat more?

The more you eat, the less you lose.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thanks a ton… absolutely starving today but lost 2 kgs since last two weeks I started..haha was hoping I could eat my lost 300 cals!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply.