Disabled

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Buttonboots 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi

I broke my ankle just over 8 weeks ago and have another month to go in plaster. I am also registered disabled and cannot exercise much. Is anyone else in this position? I feel quite isolated as most people on this website seem active. Please let me know I’m not alone!

Hi Ali,

Sorry to hear you are feeling isolated. I’m not in a similar position to you, but I know there are other people on the forum with limit mobility, or recovering from illness and injury.

You don’t need to be able to exercise to benefit from 5:2 though – exercise is over-rated as far as weight loss is concerned!

If I were you I’d just jump in anywhere that takes your fancy! We’re all here to support one another, whatever your situation.

I’m sure there are others here with disabilities and I hope they will chime in. I am fairly active now but I didn’t do any significant exercise for the first 8 months that I was doing 5:2 and it has still worked great for me. We all have different limitations but we are all here to support each other as the previous poster said. 🙂

I am disabled….and following 5:2

I have HFA (High Functioning Autism) which includes severe Dyspraxia (a condition that weakens my control over muscles and affects my coordination)

Most days I am house-bound….on a bad day I am barely able to move from my chair.

This doesn’t mean that I cannot lose weight….but it does mean that my weight loss can be slower than ‘average’ (It doesn’t help that some of my meds can cause fluctuations in weight too!)

At my heaviest I was 22 stone….and a mere 5 foot 4 in height on tippy-toes! I started dieting by calorie-counting but eventually hit a plateau that I couldn’t shift from.

When I started 5:2 I was 18 stone 4 1/2 pounds….as of today I am 16 stone 6 1/2 pounds …so coming up to two stone.

It isn’t rapid progress…5:2 isn’t about losing huge amounts each week – it is slow and steady…..I DO have to stay motivated as I don’t always manage a pound a week…..but it IS going!

So…Yes, losing weight on 5:2 without exercising is possible!…but not always easy!….

Try and be as active as possible within your confines. Sometimes just a joggle in my chair is all I can manage…other days I can walk around the room a bit…on good days I can take my walker and actually walk to the local shops….each day is different and only you know what you can manage.

If disability means you are chairbound then look for activities to keep your hands and mind busy. Watching TV means longing for a cup of tea and a whole packet of custard creams (well it DOES for me!)…so I have taught myself to knit and I do embroidery too….I am MUCH less likely to snack if my fingers are busy!

Stay positive…every loss counts!…You CAN do this and get to a healthy weight – it just might take a while!…Posting on this forum is a great idea!…I have had lovely support and posting my ramblings and witterings …and weight progress! – on my thread really helps to keep me focussed!

Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.