Diet coke

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  CalifDreamer 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hello, i started the diet last week and so far so good, however i do find drinking water does not satisfy my thirst is it ok to drink diet coke. I am on a fast day today and find sipping it through the day help with thirst and hunger.

That’s an interesting statement you make. Water does not satisfy your thirst. Water is the ONLY thing that will satisfy your thirst. So whatever your satisfying its not thirst. There have been studies that indicate that drinks like diet coke etc fool the brain into thinking that food is on its way. We associate sweetness with the concept of the arrival of food. When that calorie payload isn’t delivered our brain goes WTF happened. Hence your continual sipping of diet coke is actually you trying to satisfy your hunger and not your thirst.

Personally I think it will make the job of being compliant hard for you in the long run. But hey if its working for you keep doing it. Personally Id be drinking water with a squeeze of lemon juice. Or just plain cold water.

Thank you for posting yes I think you are right it is more like feeding the sweet tooth. I have managed another day fasting and had a diet coke, I will try lemon and water and see if I can stop the diet coke. thanks again.

I find that chewing gum helps. Once again because the act of chewing is associated with the arrival of food. So your fooling your brain into thinking calories have arrived. Whatever trick works for you.

Diet colas like Diet Coke, Pepsi Max, or Coke No Sugar, can act as appetite stimulants in some people. In my case they make he crave savoury foods while I am drinking them or just after, and sweet foods after those cravings fade.

So I find it much easier to stick to a controlled way of eating if I stop drinking them.

But if you are not finding that diet colas are undermining your diet, then it shouldn’t be an issue.

And yes, I know that feeling of “thirst” that is only satisfied by your favourite diet cola. Its a combination of sweetness, caffeine and liquid that you crave.

I can kick the habit by drinking strong instant coffee throughout the day. Unsweetened, with a dash of unsweetened almond milk or soy milk. Yes, it tastes awful until you get used to it, but it does head off the cravings.

I find that drinking diet soda can be very helpful, although these days I’m actually more likely to just add some club soda to water, typically about a 1 to 5 ratio. As I have fasted I’ve actually found that I don’t enjoy the diet cola as much anymore. But this shift has been a slow and natural process.

There is a huge amount of hate towards diet soda. While it clearly isn’t a health food I’ve don’t think the amount of hate it receives is justified. When I was working at Microsoft there was a very vocal group bitching about Microsoft supplying free sodas (both diet and regular.) However many of these people were going out for smoking breaks or where drinking *A LOT OF* booze. Very hypocritical if you ask me as both tobacco and heavy drinking are not healthy. (We are talking about multiple drinks a day here, not a few sips a day of red wine.)

Basically most of the negatives assigned to artificial sweeteners haven’t been proven or at best different experiments show inconsistent results. There are dozens of different kind of artificial sweeteners in common use, so that makes things complex. However experiments have shown drinks with processed sugar clearly leads to metabolic issue, often within days or weeks.

I like Dr. Jason Fung’s attitude. He basically says you are better without it, but if it helps you stick to a fast then it is okay because it is better than not fasting.

I drink lots of Diet Pepsi and sometimes Diet Coke. Water would likely be better but the diet sodas are more satisfying to me as well. They don’t stimulate my appetite and in fact, seem to do the opposite. I’ve been drinking them the whole time I’ve been following the 5:2 and am almost down to my target weight. If I’m hungry on FD, they take away the desire for food.

The caffeine probably isn’t good (I drink decaf coffee) but I have managed to get off of both blood pressure meds after weight loss on the 5:2.

I have no intention of quitting diet soda.

Diet coke is great, there is no anything you should be worried about.
    No any study that showsn that is bad for you.
    And it can help you if you are bored of water.

Personally I think you are still satisfying your sugar craving if you drink Diet Coke or other diet drinks. They contain artificial sweeteners which are not good for you, so I will be trying to stick to water.

Satisfying my sugar craving is fine if it works and keeps me from eating sugar. For me, the sugar craving is hardwired in. I don’t see that changing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.