Consequences of Low Protein Daily Intake

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Consequences of Low Protein Daily Intake

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Couscous 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I’ve been doing the 5:2, actually 4:3, regiment for about 3 months now. I’ve now 15 pounds. I find the CR days challenging. By the end of the day, I really need to eat something. Generally, though, tea and water and walking, keep me going.

On the eating days, I’m keeping to about 1800-2000 calories. My metabolism has tested on the slow side (~1550/day resting). So this intake level seems necessary.

Ha1c has come down. Blood sugar has come down. Cholesterol is up but I went off one of the statins so that’s to be expected. And it’s not up much.

I’ve analyzed what I eat on the eating days and I believe I’m getting way more protein than necessary. Nonetheless, my wife has expressed concerns after reading this article on the Live Strong site:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/85745-consequences-low-protein-daily-intake/#page=1

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dear IanR

On non fasting days you could make a smoothie like this one. I do a lot of sports, so I need proteins….healthy proteins!!

good luck, Pauw

Hi Ian, living permanently on a low protein diet is not a good idea, but in fact most of us eat more than the government recommended levels. The recipes in the Fast Diet and the Fast Diet Recipe book are quite rich in protein, because it is satiating and I can assure you they are certainly adequate for normal healthy living.
    Best wishes and good luck, Michael

Michael,

That’s the point that I tried to make with my wife. The CR days are lower in protein, obviously, lower in everything. But the normal eating days are 2 to 3 times the amount of “recommended” protein level. So I don’t feel as if I’m on a low protein diet when you look at my weekly intake.

Hi IanR, I understand your comments re protein intake on any day. On a Fast Day I am quite lazy and make use of M&S “Fuller Longer” and “Count on Us” range of ready meals. Recently I had one of the “Count on Us” Pork Dinners. Very tasty and only 295 cals per meal. I put my anorak on and weighed the pork portion of the meal. Total pork weight was 103gms. While Ready Meals are an expensive way of doing the 5:2 they are very effective. In respect of the pork meal even at 295 cals it is very filling and tasty enough for what it is. The protein in the pork is enough to satisfy me and in fact on some non fast days I go vegetarian and have no adverse effects from a drop in protein animal protein on those days.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.