Consequences of going off the Fast Diet

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Consequences of going off the Fast Diet

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hi all,
    I thought I’d share my recent experience with you. As a small framed middle aged man with a largely sedentary lifestyle, I do have to watch my weight. Having been on the fast diet since the beginning of this year, all in all I’ve lost around 11 pounds. Before going on holiday to France(more on this later!) I was around 138 pounds, the first time I’ve been under 10 stone for a few years. Naturally, I was very pleased with this. Unfortunately, I’ve spent 3 weeks in France (eating croissants for breakfast, menu du jour and copious wine) and I’ve not had my 2 days a week diet. Plus, my usual 3 times a week gym sessions were out. So, I expected to gain a few pounds before returning to my fast diet regime in the UK.
    Frankly, I was a bit shocked that I’ve put on over half a stone since last weighing myself over 3 weeks ago. I’ve gone off diets before (I know the fast diet is more a lifestyle change) but I’ve never gained so much in such a short period.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience after going off the fast diet?
    Regards,
    Racine62

Hi Racine62,

I think that if you go off the diet you do need to consider the calories you are taking in and there are some really nice apps out there to help you with that. I went on holidays for 2 weeks and did not fast once, but I did keep (ish) to my TDEE and only went crazy once or twice. After returning I had only gained 2.5 pounds.

There are a few studies around that show how we tend to overindulge when we go of any diet, or even when we decide to break a diet for a day, apparently the mind tells you to really enjoy all you can and we tend to underestimate our intake. A single breakfast in France, considering the pastries, charcuteries and that lovely coffee can set you back at least 800 calories and by the end of a day you can be well over the 3500 cal mark, adding to this you are consuming approximately 3500 calories extra a week for not fasting and it is easy to gain weight, the beauty of it is that you can lose it all again and you may find that this time it goes away faster.

the best app around is myfitnesspal… though it killed pina coladas for me, who knew there were 600 calories in those!!

Ax

Hi Racine62,
    I like you went on holiday, then unfortunately got sick when returning. I initially lost 4kgs but have regained it. Which is disheartening but at the same time points to my emotional dependency on food (yes even while on holiday) and that this (5:2) not being a miracle diet! That too much food, no exercise, for me equals, weight gain! But I am back on track and reading the success of others is encouraging. The thought of doing a calorie controlled diet for 7 days argh!
    last time I did it for a month and I think I expected too quick a result. This time I’ll be more patient with myself and not use the feed days to over indulge so much. I’m going to read the book again and try to integrate the the message a bit more. I’m not ready to give up on it (and myself) yet.
    Cheers,
    Jantra

Having lost 42lbs in total, I put back on 4 lbs in one week on holiday in France recently, and half a stone on a 6 week holiday in New Zealand – but I now know I can quickly take it off again on my return and have done this both times. I see the fasting strategy as a permanent lifestyle now, but knowing I can have occasional breaks suits me. The secret is not to be surprised or disappointed and just get back on track

Don’t you just love it when people say such straightforward, sensible things?! Thanks, AndreaM, Jantra and Kris and all best wishes to you for continuing success.

Update from Racine62:
    By going back on the 2 day fast I’ve lost around 7 pounds.
    So the message is: stay with the Fast Diet.

That’s a really encouraging post – thanks, racine62. I’m off on holiday next week and am dreading the inevitable weight gain on the scales staring me in the face when I get back! I refuse to diet on holiday but I’m determined to slip back into the 5:2 routine when I’m back home.

I’m quite jealous of the great holidays people are taking. I just drive to the next state – New Hampshire. Not bad, but not New Zealand ! 😉

I just joined the forum today after fasting for 2 days. Really enjoying it so far and was reassured to read these posts which show that there is room for relaxation when on holiday. Thanks guys and happy fasting!

Went on holiday for two weeks on a all inclusive And put on four pounds but it’s ok because got home and lost it within 2 weeks and now just keeping it off whitch we all know is hard no matter what diet you ever been on dont panic dont worry

I’ve had 3 week-long ‘breaks’ (1 genuine holiday and 2 weeks when I just couldn’t really fast for one reason or another) throughout the past year. I’m sure I probably put on some weight during all of them but I wouldn’t know, as I only weigh myself once a month. I highly recommend it as it stops you getting all depressed over ‘blips’ and is generally more encouraging to see -3 or 4 lb once a month than +/- 1lb at various points throughout the same week.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.