Calcium

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Stef. 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi
    I am a 63 year old female weighing 68.2 kg. I started this diet on 6th January when I weighed 70 kg. I am pleased with the weight loss, but I am doing 4:3 instead of 5:2.
    My concern is being able to consume the right quantities of vitamins etc on fast days. For example, a woman of my age needs 1200 gm of calcium a day.
    Are the meals in the recipe book nutritionally balanced and is it worth buying?
    I use MyNetDiary to keep track of everything I eat. I know this is not necessary with this diet, but it helps me.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

@audrey I don’t have the book so I can’t tell you how good or otherwise the recipes are but I’m sure they will all have been researched for their nutritional value.

My personal belief is that if you eat in a balanced healthy way I don’t think you need be too concerned about vitamins – unless your medical practitioner has advised otherwise. I am 67 and can honestly say I have never in my life been concerned about the amounts of vitamins etc I have in a day. I didn’t even know I needed 1200gm of calcium per day! 🙂

I have never suffered from any deficiencies, as my regular blood tests show, so I guess I get enough from the foods I eat on both fast and non fast days. I have an excellent GP and I’m sure he would have told me!! I take a multi vitamin tablet daily more because it seemed a good idea than because I need it.

I fully respect that you may look at this differently though and we all do things our own way. I’m glad you are having success on 5:2 – long may it continue.

Thank you for your reassurance.

The query about calcium came up in MyNetDiary which analyses everything you eat. I didn’t know how much calcium women of our age should be consuming to protect bones. Having done some research, the 1200 mg of calcium is recommended on every site I looked at.

I agree that a varied diet is most important. I don’t take any vitamins, but take supplements for my arthritis.

Yes, I am pleased to have lost 2 kg. I hope you are also finding the diet suits you.

Thanks again.

Hi audrey …some of the calorie sites tell us things we didn’t know we needed to know 😀 I use My Fitness Pal and it tells me very day that I am eating too few calories. 😀

My GP tells me I could take Glucosamine and Omega 3 for my osteoarthritis…apparently Omega 3 is ‘better’ than Cod Liver Oil as it doesn’t affect cholesterol levels….but I have noticed a great improvement since losing weight so much so that I don’t need painkillers now.

I don’t eat dairy beyond the odd yogurt and a very small amount of butter or cheese so the rest of my food must be providing enough calcium …maybe I should check it with MyNetDiary …or maybe not 😀

Starting 5:2 was one of the best things I’ve ever done and I feel I can stay with it indefinitely for as long as I need/want to.

Good luck let us know how you are doing on 5:2
    xx

I have also heard that we need 1200 mg of calcium a day for post menopausal women- but I’ve also heard that supplements are perhaps bad for heart health. Are you eating greens, almonds, yogurt, bones in canned salmon, soy produced with calcium… also getting regular exercise that pulls on bones and makes them stronger? Many different nutrients go into healthy bones- if you are eating a good variety of healthy veg and protein, nuts, fruit, you may already have it covered. Also, 1200 mg is a blanket statement- no variation for shorter vs taller, etc. Even walking builds bones, as does any weight bearing exercise. How much grass can a cow eat in any one day? (assuming she gets any, now days) x: P

I’ve been doing some research and if you are taking calcium and/or vitamin D you should also take vitamin K – it protects the heart and arteries from hypercalcination. At least that’s what the internets say 🙂

Well, it’s great to hear all your opinions.
    I need to check out the 5:2 recipe book because I really struggle with the 500 calories.
    My breakfast of porridge (it’s good for me) and skimmed milk (don’t like it with water!) takes me up to almost 200 calories, but I have a *magic* soup for lunch with only 70 calories.
    So for dinner, I’m left with less than 250.
    I’d be interested to know how you spread your 500 cals.

Audrey, I can’t eat three meals on fast days as I get very hungry once I put anything in my body. It appears as if I wake the lion…

I eat one 500 cal meal in the evening and during the day I drink tons of water and green tea.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.