Bye bye 5:2

This topic contains 23 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Selinwine 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• So I started 5:2 a few months ago and quite enjoyed it. Never had a problem sticking t the restrictions and enjoyed not feeling guilty about eating on the other days. The problem was I was obviously overeating on the other days (I’m 5′ so very low TDEE) so never lost much weight and I’ve now had three health incidents obviously related to the diet. Two of these occurred in the last week, one of which potentially left me in danger and an ambulance being called. At this point I’m calling it quits. Does anyone know how to delete your account?

Sherbert, I’m not sure how to delete your account other than asking a moderator to delete it. But I would be interested to know what the 3 health incidents were that were caused by the 5:2 way of eating.

1. Feeling very light headed the following morning (day after fast) on the train after eating. Having to lie down at a station for 10 minutes till the feeling passed.
    2. Becoming disorientated the following morning (day after fast)on the train after eating. Managed to get into work but was becoming very confused and apparently looked awful. Had to be fed large amounts of sugar to stabilise and felt ill the rest of the day with sugar highs and lows.
    3. The evening of the day following fasting immediately after eating felt ill. Got off train and ended up lying semi-conscious on platform by myself at ~8:15 pm at night. Took a while to be found and they called an ambulance as every time they tried to sit me up I nearly passed out. In total took about 45 minutes to regain full consciousness.

At this point I think if I tried to continue I’d have my entire family nagging me to stop

Wow! That’s awful! (And not normal.) Something is clearly wrong. What did your doctor say was the reason?

I haven’t been (uk based and getting doctors appointments especially at the weekend is v difficult) but the symptoms are all low blood sugar/low blood pressure related. I know correlation isn’t causation but as all three events happened the day after fasting I’m guessing it’s the likely cause

That’s terrible! Being found unconscious on the platform of a railway station would qualify for an immediate visit with an emergency room doctor and tests in the U.S. I guess I shouldn’t complain about our health care system when in the UK you don’t even have access to a doctor when found unconscious, especially when it was the 3rd incident. It could have been a heart attack or something. That doesn’t say much for your public healthcare system!

I think their general conclusion was ‘not eating properly and fainted’. They did check blood pressure several times in the ambulance and stayed with me for about 30-45 min. Very nicely they dropped me at a different station so I could catch a direct train home.

Re different healthcare systems in the uk the downsides are difficulties accessing the system, waiting lists, staff attitudes and restrictions on drugs. On the other hand doctors visits and hospital stays are free and maximum cost per prescription is approx $10 although obviously taxes are higher to pay for it ( I payed about £2500 in tax for it last year)

They dropped you off at a train station? Seriously? After only checking your blood pressure?

They checked my blood sugar. My outfit wasn’t conducive to an ecg. They said they could do one if I really wanted one but thought it probably wasn’t needed.

Honestly, one of the rules of using any program that could affect your well being and health is to consult with your doctor before commencing on that program.

You might have a set of medical facts that preclude your being able to use this specific method. Given that you are now having these health events, you should stop fasting immediately and again consult with your doctor about how you might safely proceed, or perhaps to change your approach completely.

Good luck !

It is complete nonsense that you cannot get medical treatment immediately in the UK if you need it and our NHS is open to all and free at point of delivery So please do not compare it to the very unfair system in the USA that leaves many people without the medical care they need This person was treated in an ambulance by highly qualified medical staff. I am sure if she had wanted and needed to have been taken to an Accident and Emergency Department of a Hospital she would have been. It seems from her posts she has made her mind about what caused her condition without the benefit of any in depth medical investigation, very unwise, and did not want to bother herself even with an ECG.It appears it was her choice to be dropped off at another railway station and continue home. Clearly she should consult her GP as soon as possible not self diagnose. These events may well indicate an underlying serious condition (not necessarily related but triggered by fasting) which needs investigation and treatment. This should not put other people off the 5:2 which helps many people lose weight and improve their general health.

I’m with Jaybird2, our medical system is overloaded in some areas and we have waiting lists for free routine surgery but you can always get emergency treatment. If an ambulance turns up and doesn’t know what is wrong with you, you have to be very insistent not to wind up on hospital. Sorry Sherbert but that sounds like an own goal to me.

In the UK, all GP doctors have a system whereby emergency cases or in the case of a child being ill, you can access a that day or at least a next day appointment.

There are also hospitals around the country which have some form of ‘walk in’ centre where you turn up and wait to be firstly triaged and then seen by a doctor. It can take a while but you are then fed straight into the A&E system if required.

Finally, I don’t believe that an ambulance would have done anything other than taken someone in the condition you describe directly to A&E and called someone on your behalf.

I have 2 small children and myself am epileptic and allergic to eggs, so have used the various methods of accessing the Health Service many times with consistently terrific care.

Sherbert, please go to your doctors as something here isn’t adding up xx

Thanks for all your comments. I’m not sure if some people here are indicating I wasn’t been truthful but I recorded it as I remembered it. Basically the ambulance staff felt it was a vasovagel and said if I really wanted they would take me to a hospital but they were happy to discharge me ‘at scene’. I just wanted to get home to be with my family rather than be 30 miles away waiting for hours then being discharged in the middle of the night. Re the ecg I was wearing a dress with a zip down the back and tights so it was very difficult to perform. I said I was happy to strip down if they would help but they said they felt it wasn’t needed.

I haven’t been to the gp as been on holiday thisthis week. The symptoms haven’t reoccurred since I stopped dieting but I will go if they do

Sorry to hear this, Sherbert. I had to abandon the diet too. I really wanted it to work and had high expectations that it would. Not only did I not lose much weight, I felt so lethargic on the fast days and those that followed that I was barely able to exercise. I had no motivation and was just tired. I think my whole life I’ve been a little hypoglycemic to begin with, so the fast diet just made my blood sugar drop too much. I suspect the same happened to you, though I didn’t pass out.

I’ve been back on calorie counting for five weeks or so and have already lost three pounds. I have my energy back and have been able to bump up my exercise. I plan to remain vigilant about weighing frequently and logging calories every day. It is a pain, but it does work.

CalifDreamer:
    This isn’t the place for a rant about health services but I’m going to anyway – I’d rather have the NHS than the US health service any day. Even well-off Americans have trouble with their service – I have an American friend whose daughter is now several $100K in debt after treatment as the insurance only covered 80% of a bill that totalled a couple of million. And my brother-in-law has to continue working, even though he is pretty well off and would otherwise retire, because he needs to continue to pay health insurance. As to not having immediate access to a doctor in the UK – what a load of nonsense. Sherbert clearly chose not to see one and was probably picky about when she could attend an appointment, work obviously being more important.
    Enough.
    Sherbert: see a doctor!

Does sound like a blood sugar issue to me, too. Lots of people have ‘normal’ blood sugar readings yet have highs and lows during the day. My s-i-l is one of them: must eat at regular intervals to avoid sugar lows.

What you eat for breakfast as you come off a Fast might matter: try higher protein, lower carbs for the breakfast after a Fast Day. Cottage cheese and low-glycemic fruit, perhaps. Eggs and sausage. perhaps.

Sherbert: see a doctor. Lots of people second-guess what they think the MD will say and so avoid going. And then it turns out that there was something really wrong. Hope that’s not your case.

SlimlineMoggy, no argument about the cost of the US healthcare system. We pay far more for lifesaving drugs than anywhere else in the world, and probably more than most countries for health insurance. I would much rather have a universal health care system. My comment was in response to Sherber’s comment:

“The evening of the day following fasting immediately after eating felt ill. Got off train and ended up lying semi-conscious on platform by myself at ~8:15 pm at night. Took a while to be found and they called an ambulance as every time they tried to sit me up I nearly passed out. In total took about 45 minutes to regain full consciousness.”

Not being taken to an emergency facility after being found semi conscious on a railway platform and then not being able to regain full consciousness for another 45 minutes is very disturbing.

@sherbert Just putting in my comments for what they are worth.
    I too have hypoglycaemia and suffer horrific migraines if I try to fast completely or have fluid only for 24 – 36 hours. ( hospitalised when I have my 2 yearly colonoscopy)
    I tried for a few years to do the ‘ 40 hour famine’ to raise funds for charity and ended up feeling so appalling that I gave up. Even having barley sugar etc didn’t help.
    I also have low blood pressure
    SO…
    I do NOT fast completely. I eat to 500 calories or below even on days I work and exercise. I eat protein and some carb depending on what I feel I need.
    As others have already said I do think you should see a GP at least. It appears the fasting is triggering some response which is affecting you seriously so you do need to get it checked out.
    There are a lot of benefits with fasting but you should NOT be making yourself ill.
    For your own health and safety I think a complete medical check is advisable.
    At the very least it would give you an idea of your critical ‘ numbers’ e.g. BP, resting heart rate, cholesterol levels, BSGs etc.
    With this information and in concert with your GP you could then work out a plan which would be useful for you personally.
    Even with fasting and 5:2 it is not a ‘ one size fits all’ and things need to be tailored to individual needs.
    It may well be that fasting is not for you but until you get it checked properly you are really working in the dark.
    Hope this is helpful.
    In Australia our health system is not bad but there can be wait times to see a GP especially in country areas. A friend told me he tried to make an appointment this Monday and can’t see the doc until next week!

@sherbert, that all sounds frightening and I don’t blame you at all for wanting to ditch 5:2.

It sounds a lot like a blood sugar issue. And if you are having issues with unstable blood sugar, a diet that involves fasting may not suit you perfectly.

Do you feel these episodes coming on? Do you feel weak, groggy, nauseous? I’ve had a few fasting days where I just didn’t feel quite right and I simply went and ate whatever I felt like.

My wife has had similar issues several times with dizziness, feeling light-headed, nausea, and so on. In her case it was Vitamin D deficiency.

I was doing low-carb on and off for a couple of years before starting 5:2, so my system was adapted to burning fat for energy in the absence of carbs and sugars. Unfortunately I couldn’t adapt to the mental discipline of monitoring everything I eat 7 days per week. But I still find fasting a lot easier if I keep carbs, especially simple carbs, as a “sometimes” food. I’m not trying to preach at you, just sharing what works for me.

Sherbert, I hope you find health and a diet plan that will work for you. good luck.

Sherbert: There is a blood sugar diet which my daughter has lost weight on, but again, consult your doctor first. You could need treatment rather than a diet – it happens.
    Good luck.

It could also be a mineral deficiency. Your body has enough energy in glycogen and fat to last you days without passing out, as long as you stay hydrated and are taking in minerals.

Being low in sodium, potassium, or magnesium can do all sorts of weird things to cortisol, adrenal glands, and blood pressure. I had an incident a few years back where I almost passed out driving down the interstate at 70 mph with 6 youth baseball players in the truck. Could have been a disaster. Whole way home I kept nodding out, while I was driving! I hadn’t eaten much that day, and the food I had just eaten was highly processed (granola bars). I went back and checked (I track everything I eat) and added columns in my spreadsheet for potassium, sodium, and magnesium, and it was unequivocal. I was super low in potassium and magnesium. Ever since that day, I track those three minerals in my daily diet (plus all my calories and macros), and haven’t had a problem. I was worried when I started 16:8 that I’d get that feeling again, but I make sure I take in a minimum of 4800 mg of potassium every day (in the form of meat, spinach salads and the occasional potato) and a 200 mg magnesium supplement, and I feel great during a fast.

If you’re getting dizzy after a meal, when insulin should be out in full force removing glucose from your blood stream, being low in potassium will mimic the conditions of diabetes. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/potassium_levels_possible_key_to_racial_disparity_in_type_2_diabetes

I honestly don’t know how you resist any diet. I want to try this one, but I’m super scared I will start eating twice more.

In my family, extra weight is a serious issue. My father and I are obese for over 15 years. I don’t understand how this horrible thing started, but it lasts for more than a decade. My father has been operated on heart, because of this extra weight. One day we had to call http://www.airambulance1.com because he couldn’t breath and lost his senses. Since then, we’ve tried all kind of diets, but nothing helped because after 2-3 days of balanced eating we felt so hungry that ate twice more that usual. I hope that one day food will not be as much as an issue to us as it is today.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply.