Broken fast! :(

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anna77 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• So disappointed with myself it’s untrue. This is my 3rd week on 5:2 and I lost 3lb in both the 1st and 2nd week after being really strict with myself. We were away this weekend and ate and drank waaay too much. However I got right back in it and had a good fast day on Tuesday. My next fast day is today and it started well. However, it’s 29 degrees today and despite drinking lots of water by 4pm I felt sick and very light headed. I got home and my son had just had a pizza delivered so without thinking I ate 2 slices kn a desperate bid to stop me feeling so ill. Now I’ve broken my fast when I don’t usually eat until 6pm and certainly not rubbish like pizza. I’m gutted and struggling to find a way forward.

Any advice would be appreciated πŸ™

I’m a newbie I’m afraid, but my advice would be to put it behind you otherwise you’ll focus on that. Focus on your achievements do far and plan well for next fast day πŸ™‚

I have to agree with 09Katie.The world will not end and 2 slices of pizza will not undo your good work.It is very warm, don’t panic, just do 2 days next week.Many of us will have done the same at some point, it happens. People appear with food on a fast day and before you know it…..BUT think about the fasting you have done up to that point and give yourself a pat on the back for that.Don’t be gutted, life is too short and just be thrilled that this is why this is such a great way of life, the flexibility.

This is from someone that has been doing this for 18 months with all of the ups and downs that life throws at you.Remember it is a marathon and not a sprint. Be kind to yourself.

Any help Anna77?

Don’t worry! I forgot I was fasting on Saturday morning as I woke up starving and snarfed down about 600cals. So this week I added an extra fast day to make up for it. A sneaky weigh-in this morning and I’m down 1lb so all is not lost. You can do it! I don’t like the heat either so I don’t blame you in the slightest. Put it behind you and keep going. Hope you feel better πŸ™‚

Thank you guys for your support. I’m more angry with myself more than anything. But all might not be lost as, if I’ve worked out the calories correctly, I’m still not over 500 for the day. I’ve just made dinner for the family and skipped it for myself. Then tomorrow I plan to keep to no more than 1000 calories (my TDEE is 1780) just in case, which I hope my help counteract my blip.

Tomorrow is another day, onwards and upwards! One downfall of the heat I guess

Anna eat up to your TDEE on non fast days.If you don’t eat enough you won’t lose weight.

Annette:

“Anna eat up to your TDEE on non fast days.If you don’t eat enough you won’t lose weight.”

There is no scientific evidence that eating too few calories will prevent weight loss. In fact, the fastest way to lose weight is to eat nothing at all. The ‘starvation mode’ myth is addressed in the FAQ, above, and in Dr. M’s recent post (see sidebar on page).

I’ve lost 6lb in 2 weeks by not eating any more than 1200 calories on my non-fast days so I know it works. I think it’s more about your calorie intake over the whole week.

Thanks for taking the time to reply πŸ™‚

Anna:

You are correct in that 5:2 is totally calorie oriented, and the fewer you eat the more you lose.

However, your 3 pounds a week is pretty much unsustainable. I hope you adjust your expectations more toward the one pound loss per week average. http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Hiya, to be honest I expected to lose 2-3lb in the first week as I know a lot of the early weight loss is water. However, I then expected to lose up to 1lb a week on average and was totally shocked to lose another 3lb the second week! I have absolutely no expectation beyond my original 1lb per week. This is the only healthy weight loss that can be maintained long term and as this is a lifestyle change for me I’m all for that!

Anna:

Glad to hear it. Now for the hard part – your weight loss won’t be consistent: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Have fun!

Thank you. I’m really not expecting it to be consistent and for me it’s really more about how I feel in my own skin. I don’t have that much to lose and I’ve already noticed a change in my body shape and the way my clothes fit. All I know is that this ‘diet’ is making me feel happier and healthier than I have in a long time. Pounds off as and when they do, is a bonus certainly not a fixation! πŸ™‚

Congrats on the lost lbs, I wouldn’t worry about breaking a fast, you’ve done 5. Ok, maths: if your tdee is 2k kcal p/d and 5/21 days you Consumed 500 you’re 7.5k down anyway. Assuming you ate to tdee on eat days. That’s 2.5k p/w 1lb of fat is ~3k and without factoring exercise as I’m quoting average rda of calories. It’s been researched that a lot of IF weight loss is bodyfat too so you can afford the odd broken fast or treat.
    So many people overcomplicate weight loss, its simple over time, if you put in less than you use you get thin, fasting just seems the most adaptable, CONVENIENT and useful. So don’t despair at the odd fast breaking “sin” you’re still winning in the long run!

Thank you so much, really appreciate your reply. Feel a lot better today and more relaxed about it all πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.