Brittle asthma, high dose steroids and 7lbs weight loss in week1!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Brittle asthma, high dose steroids and 7lbs weight loss in week1!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bookworm1 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi all, am new to this so please bear with me. I have chronic brittle asthma , ME and other major health problems. As a result of a particularly bad spell last summer I was on very high dose prednisone-80 mg then 60 for over 6 months . As a result I put in over 2 stones in weight, nothing I tried seemed to help. I started 5:2 last Monday and am so pleased as I’ve lost 7lbs already.. Still a way to go, but thought any fellow asthmatics who are dependent on the ‘red devils’ might like to know- certainly worth a go!

That is great Bookworm1! I also have seen improvement in my asthma although it doesn’t seem nearly as bad as yours. Keep up the great work!

Cheers! I hope you stay well and your asthma improves

I have COPD Asthma & bronchitis and at times my lungs would get really bad bad they would put me on high dose steroids for up to a month then I’d have to taper off over 3 months. I at times gained as much as 25lbs in a month. I’d barely lose that or not all of it and I’d be back on steroids again and gain even more weight.

Doing 5:2 along with 1 4-5 day fast a month. My COPD is for the first time in over 14 years under control and not progressing. I have not been on steroids since starting 5:2.

My other chronic illnesses and maladies are great improved or have disappeared.

I’m not going to say that all of these improvements are 5:2 (though I started it for health benefits) because that hasn’t been proven and I am doing the longer term water fasting once per month for the proven health reasons. But I am sure way ahead of where I was a year ago.

I’ll never go back. I still have to be careful and climb back on when I slide a bit and it is easily done but I do get back on it quickly. How I eat and fast now will be permanent until something medically proven better comes along.

QuietOne-

That is really EXCELLENT news! I have asthma (controlled, knock wood!) myself so I know the drill but I’ve never been on a course of steroids for longer than 10 days. I can’t even imagine being on it for a month with a 3 month taper!

I hope the relief of episodes continues for you and you can stay off nasty steroids!

Hello, that is great to hear! I know how horrible it is to be on steroids long term and how tough it is to lose that weight, especially when your health is poor. well done you, I hope your improvement continues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.