Bad hips and knees – hit suggestions?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  miami mike 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi,

As my title states I have bad hips and knees. I’m having physio but hips are so bad I can use them when swimming either (even just a flutter kick with crawl).

So I guess that doesn’t leave me with much but any ideas on hit exercises that would be suitable for me?

Thank you!

Maybe you should concentrate on getting your hips and knees in as good condition as possible before thinking about HIIT.

I have had two surgeries on one knee and arthritis in the hip of the other leg so can understand your dilemma. Physiotherapy followed by exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your hips and knees is probably the best way forward. You should also find that they become less painful as the weight comes off. My knee was double the size and I was in constant pain until I started to lose weight and now it rarely troubles me. I had to give up some of the exercises at the gym due to hip pain but am now doing everything again, treadmill, cross trainer, bike, rowing machine and using resistance equipment to improve muscle strength further. I also swim a couple of time per week.

It might take a while but take it slowly and you should see an improvement
    Good luck 🙂

Amazon, what an encouraging post thank you. Yep I have cam deformities in both hips and arthritis I’m hips and knees (I think from wear and tear over the years). Do you think the surgery really helped you though? So inspiring to hear you are back on the treadmill!! I used to love running. Do you mind if I ask what age range you are in?

I was feeling quite doomed and am doing the exercises but they seems to be annoying my hip at the moment.

Thanks again.

I’m 62 going on 27 😉

There are others on this website who started out with very bad knee issues and are now doing regular exercise so it is doable but patience is essential.

That’s so encouraging. I recently lost 6kgs. Was so happy that I went dancing and tore my ACL. That’s the anterior cruciate ligament in th knee that connects the femur and the tibia. Very discouraging. Couldn’t do any exercise. That was 3 months ago. Now started 5:2 two weeks ago. Have lost 2 kgs. Hope to ge back to exercise too

Have you tried swimming with a pullboy, (a float that you hold between your thighs). Swimmers use them to isolate their arms as a training aid, but I use one when my hip pain is bad, and it was a godsend when I was in recovery froma hip arthroscopy. Most pools will have one that you could lend or you can by one for about £15. You still work your arms and core hard so can get a really good workout.
    Also try a powerball, which looks like a kids toy but works your forearms to exhaustion in a few seconds

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.