AUSSIE DETERMINATION – RECIPE THREAD

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
AUSSIE DETERMINATION – RECIPE THREAD

This topic contains 63 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  PerthGirl 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 64 total)

• Hi all Determined Aussies…..because we have been sharing so many wonderful recipes, I thought I’d create this thread to post them on, so we don’t have to trawl back through our discussions to find them…

I’m kicking off with the MUSHROOM STROGANOFF…that was originally shared by Lindanaf….and made and loved by so many of us!

250g courgette “noodles” (43 calories)

Stroganoff
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil (20 calories)
    25g onion, finely chopped (10)
    1 clove garlic, minced (5)
    200g raw mushrooms, halved or sliced (depending on size) (41)
    1/4 cup of prepared vegetable bouillon (1/4 teaspoon powder or 1/8 cube) (5)
    1/2 teaspoon tomato puree (2)
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (3)
    50g of plain unsweetened non-dairy yogurt (I use Sojade brand, available at health shops) (26)
    salt to taste

Lightly salt the courgette noodles and place them in a strainer set over a bowl, to draw some of the extra moisture out. This is best done a couple of hours in advance.

Heat olive oil, add onion and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Saute until onion is soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add splashes of water to keep onion from sticking/burning. Add garlic and saute for another couple of minutes. Then add mushrooms and continue to saute until they have release their moisture and are starting to brown. Add prepared bouillon, tomato puree and Dijon and mix well. Saute for a few minutes, then stir in yogurt and heat through. Remove from pan.

Warm courgette noodles in the pan for a few minutes, until hot and softened as much as you like (I like mine quite “crunchy” but you can cook a bit longer to soften further). Add the stroganoff back into pan and heat well. Serves 1.

TIP: Light cream cheese works really well, if you can’t find any non dairy yoghurt.

Thanks, Foxy. Great idea! I was scrolling through and couldn’t find it. Well done!

Foxy, what a great idea, no chat, just Aussie Determination recipes

Rock Melon and prawn salad

1-2 cups thightly packed Mixed lettuce leaves
    1/2 cubed Cucumber peeled..it’s up to you
    1 cup cherry tomatoes
    100g-200g prawns
    1/4 diced Rockmelon (I guess watermelon or any melon would do)
    1/4 red onion finely sliced
    1/4 cup Tzatziki dip
    1/4 lime
    Line plate/ bowl with the lettuce
    Cover with onion, tomatoes, diced cucumber (I leave seeds in)
    Then sprinkle diced Rock Melon( cantaloupe) over entire dish
    Dot with blobs of Tzatziki and cooked prawns
    Sprinkle with squeezed lime, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
    Not sure of cals but very low, check with MFP as each time I make this, I weigh as I go and re log it. I also squeeze some lime into the pan when cooking the prawns…guaranteed delicious and refreshing and just so very last minute easy…CG xx

Thank you ladies 🙂 also thinking we can add quorn pieces or fillets to the strog increase protein content? About 50 cals for 50 gms
    And CG. Can we also conrinue to chat please? It’s such a nice, empowering thread with lots of non-judgemental, compassionate people 🙂

Lotus, yeah but I think if we keep our chat to our original thread, this one is for recipes only, we can refer to them on our original thread though. If you talk about a meal in our thread just post it here, saves confusion for us all, and we will know where to find it…:) CG xx ( just like making this OUR recipe book)

Oh! got it. Silly me, I thought the thread name had changed!!

For my fast day tomorrow, thought I will share it with you all:
    Tofu and Vegetable soup
    (you can substitute thinly sliced chicken breast, or shrimp in place of tofu)
    Makes one large bowl, about 150-200 Kcals for one big serve
    ½ carrot – thinly sliced
    ½ zucchini – thinly sliced
    1 small bunch buk choy / baby spinach leaves one cup
    100 gms firm tofu / sliced chicken / shelled prawns
    Red Chilli – one small, deseeded and sliced
    Water – about 300 -400 ml
    Light Soy sauce
    Light mirin / rice wine
    Pepper
    ½ tsp sugar (optional)
    Heat a deep pan /pot. Add all items and cook together till veggies and protein are just done (slightly crunchy is best). Pour in a big bowl and enjoy. You can add noodles / konjac noodles/courgette “noodles” if you desire (I don’t as I like it with just all the veggies in it). You can also add other veggies, like green beans etc. if desired, but remember to slice them as thinly so cooking time remains similar for all things in the broth.

Me again. Many thanks for the recipes. I’m going to try them all.

Spud Salad (better for non fast days)
    – 180 grams sweet potato
    – 25 grams Light cheese (I use Bega Light cheese- 70 cals for 25 gms)
    – 100 grams Baked beans
    – 80 gms Cucumber – chopped
    – 30 gms red capsicum chopped
    – 50 grams corn kernels
    – 5 grams spring onion whites
    – Salsa – 50 grams (I use off the shelf ones- Doritos 99% fat free)
    – 1 tbsp weight watchers sour cream

Start with thoroughly cleaning the sweet potato and keep them in pre heated overn to roast. chop veggies and heat up beans while sweet potato is in the oven. As soon as sweet potato is done (do not overcook) take it out in a bowl and mash roughly (with skin). Sprinkle the cheese on top. Next pour the baked beans.

Top up with cucumber, corn and capsicum. Now pour the salsa sauce and on top finish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of spring onion… ENJOY!!!
    (sweet potato can be substituted by potato, however I like the sweetness of sweet potato and lower in cals than normal potatoes and also full of Vitamin A)

The whole spud salad bowl comes to around 400-500 cals.

I make this for dinner once a week on non fast day and all the fibre and goodness keeps me very full and happy. Also, I use baked beans as I am vegetarian, but I think that beans can easily be substituted by chicken.

The ingredients for this salad are only limited by your imagination. However, roasted spuds give a very nice base and every spoon of this this gooey salad is bursting of different flavors. Very easy, filling n quick to prepare too.

Low Cal Bruschetta
    Saw this recipe on a website and thought it was nice to share as a fast day recipe (maybe less or no feta) or even an NF day low-carb recipe, with a nice glass of wine, which is, of course – zero-cal 🙂
    Basically replaces the bread with eggplant. I am also thinking that zucchini, sweet potatoes can also be used in place of eggplants…
    Base
    Eggplant / Aubergine : 2 -3 large round or oval ones, diced in roundels of about ½ inch thickness
    Olive oil spray
    Topping
    Tomatoes : Chopped fine
    Basil leaves: shredded/crushed
    Garlic: chopped fine
    Shallots: chopped fine
    Feta cheese
    Pretty much any variation can be used – baby spinach mushrooms, cooked chicken, shrimp, lean ham etc
    1. Sprinkle the eggplant roundels with salt and cover and leave for about an hour.
    Then Drain and rinse, and pat dry.
    2. Lay them flat on a barbie / grill /oven to cook them and dry them out. So a light spray of olive oil works well. I have used a hotplate (George Foreman / café press kind of thingy) and eggplants and zucchini etc get toasted crisply. I used to simply serve them by themselves sprinkled with herb salt.
    3. Then cover them with all the other goodies, then feta cheese crumble, and grill in oven to just brown the feta.

HI Guys, Great Idea.

Here is one for fast days:
    Chia Pudding.

1/2 cup chia seeds
    375 mls cashew or almond milk
    1/4 cup mixed frozen berries
    dash of cinnamon
    Splash of vanilla paste
    1 teaspoon stevia (or sugar)optional
    pinch salt.

Mix all together and put in fridge. This serves 2 so individual small jars are great. Can use extra liquid if too thick.Will last a few days in the fridge as well.

According to MFP total cals per serve= 252 with almond milk.

Very filling and full of goodness..

CHIA AND COCONUT SLICE
    2 ripe bananas
    2 eggs(whole)
    1/2 cup black chia seeds
    1/2 cup coconut

Mash the bananas
    Mix all ingredients together .Put the mixture firmly into a greased log baking tin
    Put into oven at 170deg for 45mins until brown on its surface
    Cool and cut into slices. have with vanilla greek yogurt…. it’s YUM YUM YUM
    90 cals per standard slice………GO GAL

Savory Zucchini muffins recipe from clean eating Kgs ndke book

Ingredients: ·
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    1 pinch salt
    ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
    ¼ cup olive oil
    ¼ cup milk
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 cups grated zucchinis
    ½ cup low fat cheese, crumbled

Directions:
    1 In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then stir in the applesauce, olive oil, milk and honey and mix well.
    2 Fold in the zucchinis and cheese and spoon the mixture into 12 muffin cups lined with muffin papers.
    3 Bake in the preheated oven at 350F for 20- 25 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
    4 Let them cool in the pan then serve.

Nutritional information per serving Calories: 132 Fat: 4.9g Protein: 3.7g Carbohydrates: 18.7g

Superfood salad

INGREDIENTS (serves 4) | Calories per serving: 308

2 tablespoons of olive oil
    150g quinoa (dry weight)
    400ml vegetable stock (reduced salt)
    150g frozen peas, cooked
    300g fresh spinach leaves, finely
    chopped
    Handful fresh herbs (e.g.mint, coriander
    or parsley), finely chopped
    20g pine nuts
    Juice of 1 lemon
    100g feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
    METHOD:
    Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the quinoa. Heat for a couple of minutes to coat the quinoa in the oil, then add the stock. Cook for 10 minutes or until the quinoa becomes clear. Drain any excess liquid. Stir in the peas, spinach, herbs, pine nuts and add the lemon juice and remaining oil. Stir and sprinkle with the feta.

I did a lighter version of the Chia Seed Pots sold in Coles/Woolies (at $4 per little pot, a little exxy)

About 150 cals
    1 tbsp chia seeds dry
    100 ml of coconut water (I used the mango- coconut water as I liked the Mango Chia Seed Pot so much)

Method
    Mix the two, leave overnight in fridge to gel.
    Enjoy next day for fibre and Omega 3 goodness.
    Also very filling.

VEGETABLE SLICE

100g Zucchini (grated)
    100g cooked chopped silverbeet or spinach
    100g short cut bacon (no fat -diced)
    50g capsicum finely diced
    50g onions finely diced
    100g cherry tomatoes halved
    4 jumbo eggs (67g each)
    60g tasty cheese grated
    50g feta cheese diced
    100g Low Fat Greek Style yoghurt
    1/2 Cup Wholemeal SR Flour
    1/2 Tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
    Olive Oil Spray

Mix zucchini, bacon, onions, capsicum, spinach, tasty cheese in a large bowl. Lightly beat eggs with yoghurt. Add to mix along with diced feta. Stir and lastly add flour and mix until all combined. Spray quiche dish with olive oil spray – couple of seconds. Pour mix in and smooth, push halved cherry tomatoes onto top spacing around dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Place in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes or until brown on top. Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold.
    Six Serves = 225 calories ( Fat 11.9 Protein 15.9 Carb 12.1 Fibre 2.6 )

Four Serves = 335 calories

** You can really use whatever veg you like. It also works well with tuna or salmon, or just leave out bacon for a vegetarian version.
    ** I’ve calculated it for jumbo eggs as my girls lay big ones, calories would be reduced if you used large eggs or a combination of 2 eggs and 2 egg whites.

Spinach Dal (red lentils)
    About 200 cals for a big bowl (350 ml)
    3/4 cup of dry split red lentils

Water – 3 cups or more
    1 tsp Ginger grated
    Green chilli- 1deseeded and chopped – add or decrease depending on taste
    Salt

2 cups baby spinach
    Coriander leaves chopped
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 tsp mustard seeds / cumin seeds
    1 tsp oil or butter

Cook all except last five ingredients until
    Lentils are soft – about 10 mins
    Then add baby spinach / chopped English spinach
    Cook for another 5 mins
    Heat oil in small pan and add mustard / cumin seeds – when they splutter a bit add to dal. Top with lemon juice and coriander and serve.

CHICKEN-PEAR SALAD WITH GOATS CHEESE (serves 2) 269 cals per serve

1 tbsp water
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1/2 clove garlic
    Salt & pepper to taste

160gr poached chicken breast (I always poach these days – so easy)
    4 cups salad leaves
    1 medium pear sliced (or apple)
    1/4 cup crumbled semi-soft goats cheese

For dressing: combine water, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt/pepper in a jar. Cover & shake well.

Toss greens, pear, cheese & chicken. Drizzle each serving with the dressing. You can also top with toasted, chopped pecan nuts but don’t forget to add the calories.

Stuffed Marrow or Zucchini

1 large Button Marrow
    OR 1 large Zucchini
    3 good size tomatoes chopped
    1 small onion diced
    1/2 diced stick celery
    2 baby mushrooms thinly sliced
    1 capsicum cheek diced
    1 baby bok choy OR small handful silver-beet chopped
    1 teasp mixed herbs
    1/2 teasp Kecap Manis
    1 teasp oyster sauce
    1/2 teasp sesame oil
    Scoup out insides of marrow..retain..cover Marrow with foil after a quick spray of oil and sprinkle of salt and pepper, cook 20 mins until softish but firm. Whilst that is in the oven, add all other ingredients including morrow insides diced to a small pan and dry fry with lid on till reduced and thick. The juices will provide a cooking medium.leave the lid on and turn off heat to check the marrow, if you want it softer, give it another 10 mins but time depends on size of marrow or zucchini of course.
    Gently lift out marrow ( with the oven proof plate it is on) and fill with the vegies.
    Top with a good sprinkle of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, recover very loosely in oven and cook another 7 mins then remove foil and cook till brown and crisp on top, 5 mins or so.
    Diced bacon added adds flavour as well as cals, but as this is very very low cal it wont matter. May also be served with 100g chicken breast at 110cals. Of course you may up the flavouring and herbs to suit. You can also par boil the marrow/zucchini if you like it quite soft but this way it is like a firmer but cooked shell.
    If you have a small amount of filling left over, use it in an omelette the following day.

37 Calorie Brownies

3/4 Cup Non fat Greek yoghurt (can be vanilla)
    1/4 ” skim milk
    1/2 ” Cocoa powder
    1/2 ” Rolled oats
    1/2 ” Sweetner (like Stevia or any that pours like sugar)
    1 egg
    1/3 ” Applesauce
    1 teasp. baking powder
    1 pinch salt

Preheat oven to 200. Grease a square baking dish (8″ x 8″) – I’d line with baking paper, save the grease.
    Combine all ingred. in food processor or blender til smooth (about 1 min.)

Pour into dish and bake for about 15 mins.

Allow to cool completely before cutting into 9 large squares.

Raw Cauliflower Tabbouleh
    How cool is that? low carb, GF version of Tabbouleh. The recipe I saw on the Net was a bit complicated, so I have just used the idea on traditional tabbouleh
    1 Cup Grated (processed to resemble rice) cauli – they have said to use raw, but I did read that lightly steaming Brassica family vegies is better for us. Also, steamed, it looks and tastes even more like broken wheat!
    Chopped Flat leaf Parsley – 1 big bunch or mixed with a bunch of chopped kale or spinach
    Chopped mint – 1/2 bunch
    Chopped Tomatoes – 1/2 cup
    Chopped spanish onions – 1/4 cup
    2 lebanese cucumbers chopped
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Lemon juice to taste
    Mix everything together. enjoy by itself or with chicken / fish kebabs 🙂

Link to original recipe here (not sure I would ever use raw okra though, too gummy!)
    http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/raw-cauliflower-tabbouleh-20140827-3edkj.html

Black-Eyed Bean and Tender Pumpkin Stew (From Kerala,India, traditional name Olan)

Make for about 2-3 portions as a side, and to be served with hot rice and maybe a dry curry / grilled fish. Proportions are a bit hazy, as its a traditional family dish, so adjust for taste.
    Ingredients
    Black-Eyed beans dry – ½ to 3/4 cup, washed well a couple of times (removes flatulence producing stuff from lentils) and soaked in about 2 cups of fresh water overnight
    1/2 kilo Pumpkin cut in flatish slivers of about 2inch squares – use the slightly greener, younger types, or the “grey skin” ones. It should not be very sweet tasting
    Coconut Milk – I can of the Ayam organic one or use coconut flavored Carnation milk
    Green Chilles – 1 to 2 chopped roughly – in bigger pieces and not fine chopped, so you can fish it out if you don’t want to chew it!
    Salt to taste
    Curry leaves (optional, if available)
    Method
    1. Boil the beans in the water with salt, curry leaves till tender and test by smashing the beans with your ladle . Took about 30 minutes or you can pressure-cook / slow-cooker them.
    2. Then add the pumpkin and green chilies, cook till pumpkins are done but still retain their shape.
    3. Add the coconut milk in the end, and cook for another five minutes for it all to come together. You can top with a teaspoon of good quality coconut oil (Optional).
    4. Serve with Hot rice (Jasmine or Basmati) and Poppadums.

How to make Greek yoghurt:

Ingredients:
    A small tub of plain yoghurt with live culture – I use Farmer’s Union’
    3 litres of milk.

Equipment:
    A heavy pot with a lid, a wooden spoon, cheese cloth or Tshirt material, colander and a bowl (used to drain the yoghurt) , jars or Tupperware containers to store your yoghurt, a towel or old piece of blanket to wrap your pot up overnight.

Method:
    Place the milk into a pot.
    Bring to heat while stirring with a wooden spoon – this is so your milk doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of the pot, otherwise you’ll end up with brown bits.
    When you see that small bubbles of milk are forming around the edge of the pot, remove it from the heat. Wait until the milk is warm so that you can place your pinky into it without it burning or the milk being too hot. It must be warm.

Get a couple of cups of milk , place them in a bowl and whisk in the yoghurt .
    Pour the milk and yoghurt mix into the pot containing the rest of the milk- whisk it in. This process takes about a minute or so.

Place the lid on the pot , wrap it up in a towel and place it some where warm. I normally place it in the oven with the light on in winter. If you do it in the afternoon it should be ready to strain the next day around 1 or 2.

You then place your cloth over the colander / the colander must be over a pot to catch the whey which can be used for smoothies or to reboil and make ricotta – you don’t get much.
    Just let the yoghurt sit on the cloth lined colander until it’s as creamy as you like

I forgot to mention that you can use the whey as a milk substitute for any recipe- including baking. You can also dilute it in water and use it as a tonic for your plants- eg a cup into 5 litres of water – more might burn/kill your plants.

LOW-CAL BEEF STROGANOFF One serve = 300 calories (using LF greek yoghurt would be less)
    olive oil cooking spray; 500g round steak (or similar) diced or thin strips; 1 brown onion thinly sliced; 2 garlic cloves crushed; 250g button mushrooms sliced; 1 tsp smoked paprika; 3 tsp cornflour; 1/2 cup salt-reduced chicken stock; 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce; 3/4 cup Greek-style yoghurt; 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped.

Spray a heavy-based pan with oil. Heat over high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring for 30 to 60 seconds or until browned all over. Remove to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium. Spray pan with oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until tender. Stir in paprika and cook for 1 minute.
    Combine cornflour, stock and worcestershire sauce in a small jug. Stir stock mixture into mushroom mixture. Cook, stirring, until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add yoghurt and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes (do not boil, as mixture might spit). Return beef and juices to pan. Stir until warmed through. Stir in parsley and season with pepper. Serve with steamed vegetables.

PS I simmered mine for much longer than 2 mins with the yoghurt in (used a cheaper cut of steak) but had no trouble with the mixture splitting at all.

Fruit syrup – to go with the yoghurt, perfect for one batch.

Ingredients:
    2 cups of fresh or frozen cut fruit , 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (cornflour), 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/4 cup or so of water if needed, this depnds on the fruit you are using – you can increase or decrease the sugar accordingly.

Equipment: A small pot and a wooden spoon.

Method: Place all your ingredients in the pot and simmer while stirring for 5-7 minutes until it thickens. when cool place into a tupperware or jar and keep in the fridge to serve with the yoghurt. Apples are lovely, berries , citrus, any flavour you like.

Please note: LOW CAL BEEF STROGANOFF (2 posts above) serves 4 people for 300 cals each.

Hi, I like this website, contains lots of low cal recipes

http://www.52recipes.co.uk/category/recipes/

I am making spinach dahl tonight, thanks for sharing the recipe Lotus123 🙂

Salmon and asparagus in foil for one

100g fresh salmon
    1/2 bunch asparagus (hard ends broken off)
    1 teaspoon light butter
    3 thin slices lemon

Pre heat oven 200 c

Lay asparagus on a sheet of foil
    Places salmon on top
    Top with lemon slices
    Dot with butter, small amounts for flavour and steam

Pull sides od foil up together and fold down a few times, roll up the ends. Lay on an oven proof plate and “bake” 20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes as all ovens differ. The asparagus is quite crispy so may be par cooked before using if you like it softer.
    According to MFP the cals are 206 NOT INCLUDING THE BIT OF BUTTER 🙂
    Serve on its own or with salad or vegs…enjoy xx

I found this recipe on McKenzies Green split pea packet. I don’t know how many calories so suggest it’s for a non fast day.

Pea and ham soup

500 gms green split peas
    3 diced carrots
    3 diced celery stalks
    I diced large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 smoked ham hock trimmed of fat
    1 reduced salt chicken stock cube
    12 cups water
    1 Bay leaf

Wash split peas. Combine all ingredients and bring to the boil in a large pot . Reduce heat and simmer for approx. 1 1/2 hours. Remove hock and remove the skin. Dice the ham and set aside. Remove bay leaf. Return the ham and blitz in food processor. Season to taste.

You are welcome DT

Roast cauli Moroccan salad

Cauli florets roasted with a spray of oil for about 20 mins fan forced at 175 Celsius.
    Carrot strips
    Green peppers, sliced thinly
    Almonds
    Lemon zest
    Sumac ( optional). I used lemon juice today as had no Sumac handy.
    Raisins ( optional)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Parsley

Toss altogether.
    For a warm winter salad lunch, pack the roasted cauli separately. Heat the cauli in the microwave then toss the rest together with it.

Mushroom and Peas in Saffron Sauce
    Three portions- One portion works out to 94 calories (I worked it out on calorie counter app, so hopefully the count is correct!)

300 gms button mushrooms, quartered
    Baby Peas, shelled (frozen or fresh) – 150 gms
    Saffron – 3-4 strands soaked in ½ cup hot water
    Or
    Saffron colour
    Sour cream – 2 tbsp
    Plain flour – 1 tsp
    Butter /olive oil – 1 tsp
    Grated ginger – 1 tsp
    Chopped green chilies (optional) – 1 small
    Salt to taste
    Prep time: about 10 mins

1. Heat oil/butter, Add the flour, and stir a bit to cook but not color the flour.
    2. add the vegetables, ginger, chilies, saffron and stir fry a bit, till they are almost done.
    3. Then add saffron and sour cream and extra water if needed, to make a thicker gravy (the flour and butter in step one will thicken the gravy). Add salt now to season.
    4. Let it all cook together a bit more.
    5. Remove from fire and serve with hot rice, and maybe grilled fish or poached chicken if you want.
    Note: the vegetables can be replaced with pretty much anything, but the gravy is very fragrant, so blander main ingredients work better with it.

Banana or other flavor Bread / cake substitute – for the days you just want to eat some cake…
    1. Two pieces of brown bread, light butter / oil spray on the outside
    2. Ripe Banana –sliced / tinned pear, well drained & few raspberries / Tinned Mango, drained
    3. Brown Sugar to sprinkle,
    4. Optional – Walnuts / pecans/ Choco-chips / shredded coconut

On one slice on the non-buttered side, put a generous amount of banana slices. Optional, sprinkle with a small amount of sugar (brown is tastier, but I never seem to have it at home!), add any additional toppings (suggestions in point 4). Top with the other slice, again non-buttered on the outside. Then toast in a sandwich / grill. Remember to keep the butter/oil to minimum or it will be greasy instead of crisp Also brown bread, even rye is much tastier and closer to the banana bread taste, but feel free to experiment with bread and fruit combos. Mushier fruits work, for example, stewed/canned pear, well-drained. Very crunchy or very liquid fruits won’t work. The pear and raspberries can make an imitation pear and raspberries loaf, and mango and coconut for a similar loaf sold in Starbucks. I have not tried the Mango-coconut loaf yet, but would avoid extra sugar in it if I did make it, and use white (Country Loaf?) for it. The Starbucks version’s really delish 🙂

Its a delicious alternative to cake, with more fiber and less cals. Also good for “hiding” slightly overripe, bottom-of-the-bowl bananas.

Beetroot dressing

1 small can tinned beets
    Salt
    Pepper
    Dijon Mustard

Whiz / process all of it in a lidded blender to teh consistency you like (I like to chop roughly but not too smooth). Use by itself, or mixed with thick Greek yogurt / Labne for a dip for your crudites.
    Warning – Beet juice does get around the kitchen, so open the can in the sink and wear an apron 🙂 Also, the dressing /dip is a pretty fuchsia/purple pink and is tangy.

GREAT WINTER RECIPES 1: SAUSAGE CASSEROLE http://www.52recipes.co.uk
    250 calories per serving (MFP says 201 cals per serve, depends on your sausages) Serves 6

1 tsp olive oil
    12 chipolata sausages or 6 LF sausages
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 small carrot, diced
    1 red pepper, diced
    1 green pepper, diced
    300gr red lentils dry
    2 pints water
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 bay leaf
    1 can chopped tomatoes

In a heavy based lidded saucepan, heat the oil at a medium temperature and fry the sausages until they are tinged with brown. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside.
    Turn the heat to low and add the onion, garlic, carrot and peppers. Stir and leave to saute gently for 5 minutes.
    Next, add in the lentils and mix into the vegetables. Then pour in the water, turn the heat to high and bring to the boil. Crumble the stock cube into the pan and add the bay leaf too. When the lentils start to boil, turn the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
    After 10 minutes turn the heat to low, add the tomatoes and stir. Then put the sausages into the top of the pan and put the lid on. Cook on the lowest heat possible for 1 hour.
    Serve with the sausages (2 chipolatas or 1 sausage per person) on top of the sauce.

Yummo dish with a good sized serve for winter. Could be made vegetarian also.

GREAT WINTER RECIPES 2: CREAMY CAULIFLOWER MASHED POTATOES
    57 calories per serve Serves 4 (or see lower calorie options below recipe)

4 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup hilo milk
    1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
    1 medium head cauliflower (about 8 cups)
    1 tsp butter

Chop cauli into florets. Place in boiling water with garlic & cook 6 mins or until soft. Drain liquid & put cauli into a food processor. Add 1/2 the milk & the butter. Blend until as creamy as you like. Add extra liquid as needed & salt/pepper to taste.

Using skim milk & LF margarine you could make this much lower in cals. This is quite a good sized serve so if you divided up to serve 6 = 38 cals, or to serve 8 = 28 cals. A great creamy substitute for a low-cal mash in the winter when you crave potato mash.
    (I’m lazy and actually use garlic from a jar & just add it at the blender stage)

I found this recipe in The Complete 5:2 App. I can’t find the name of the author.

Miso and shiitake mushroom Broth 117 calories

1 heaped TBS Miso paste
    1 Tsp Mirin – rice wine
    1 TBS dark Soy Sauce plus extra for drizzling
    1 Tsp Fish sauce
    1 cm ginger , grated
    50 gms kale or Savoy cabbage. – I used Pak Choy
    1/2 finely diced carrot
    50 gms Bean shoots
    50 gms Shiitake mushrooms – rehydrated weight

Bring 500 ml water to the boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the Miso Paste, Mirin, Fish Sauce,Soy sauce and ginger. Add carrots, greens, beansprouts and mushrooms. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Serve in a wide bowl with an extra drizzle of .soy sauce.

Curried Cauliflower Soup

1x large cauliflower
    1x large onion
    2 xPotatoes (med size)
    2 t’sp Clive of India curry powder
    1 heaped t’sp Korma paste
    3 vegetable stock cubes (or equiv)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1can Cannaloni beans (sp?)
    2t’sp beef stock pdr
    1good size carrot
    3x chopped celery sticks
    1-2 handfull of fresh parsley (chopped)

Break up caulie into flowerettes and put into large soup pot, add sliced onion chopped carrot (any size as it is all wizzed later)Veg and rinsed beans Cover with water but only JUST cover, start to bring to boil and add spices. Stir every so often whilst cooking. Once veggies are tender use stick blender and wizz till smooth, add parsley, simmer a bit longer, taste for flavour, then turn off. The flavour goes through better if it sits for a while and also better the next day. The soup becomes very thick and creamy. I do hope you enjoy it. Don’t forget you can always add but never take it out, so use herbs to your taste 🙂

PETREA’S PUMPKIN PIE (no pastry) 289 calories per serve 8 servings (good size too)

WARNING: seriously tasty but also filling

1kg pumpkin cooked & mashed
    1 tbsp sesame or extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp butter
    2 leeks sliced or 2 onions diced
    3 cloves garlic diced
    8 eggs lightly beaten
    500gr cottage cheese LF (cals above based on LF but could use regular)
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tsp nutmeg
    2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
    1 cup finely chopped fresh mixed herbs
    salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 220oC. Heat oil in frypan & cook leek/onions & garlic. (A cup of sliced zucchinis, diced broccoli or cauli can be added) Saute till soft.
    Combine mashed pumpkin with rest of ingredients. Pour into ovenproof dish (large) & bake for 30 mins. Check top is not burning (usually fine, if not cover) then 30 mins more till firm and golden. Cut into 8 and ENJOY!

Option: to lower cals more you could subsitute some carrot or parsnip in the mash.

SPICED CAULIFLOWER PULAU for fast day dinner under 300 cals for a big bowl
    – 1 tbsp olive oil
    – 1 tsp cumin seeds
    – 2 cardamom pods
    – 1 Bay leaf
    – 1 small capsicum (diced) – optional
    – 1 small onion (diced) – optional
    – 1 carrot (diced) – optional
    – 100 ml vegetable stock or 1 tsp vegeta mixed in 100 mls water.

Cut cauliflower florets into chunks. Pulse the florets in food processor until it’s texture resembles of rice. (I just grated the with traditional hand grater)
    Heat olive oil in a no stick pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamom pods for 2-3 minutes until aromatic. Now add onion and saute for 2 minutes, followed by capsicum and carrots and saute for further 2 mins.
    Add, grated cauliflower to the pan and stir to coat in oil and rest of veggies and spices.
    Finally, add stock and simmer for 5 minutes until the stock has been absorbed.
    (Extra salt may be required if your stock is not salty enough)

CLASSIC CHILLI for Fast Day dinner 298 calories Serves 4

1 tsp olive oil (or oil spray for less calories)
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 1/2 cloves garlic or 1 1/2 tsp garlic in jar
    1 fresh green or red chilli de-seeded finely chopped
    500 gr lean beef mince
    1/2 tsp chilli powder + (depending on personal taste we don’t like hot)
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 heaped tsp paprika
    3/4 tsp cocoa powder (yes cocoa powder)
    1 tsp salt
    1 400g can chopped tomatoes
    1/2 can kidney beans
    Juice of 1/2 lime

Heat oil gently in pan. Brown onion garlic & chillies for a few mins. Add mince & brown all over. Turn heat to low & stir in spices, cocoa & salt.
    Add tomatoes & kidney beans & bring to simmer.
    Cook 1-2 hours on low simmer OR transfer to slow cooker & cook on Low 6-8 hours. May need to add water/stock if too dry.
    Before serving add lime juice. Serve with Slendier rice for another 10 calories, cauliflower rice, or a mashed vegetable eg cauliflower/pumpkin.

Oh wow. My first FD was yesterday and I can’t wait to try all your recipes, starting with lentil dahl.

CHICKEN AND ALMOND (actually bit more than one almond! 🙂 )

Serves two – one over rice for OH

300 grams chicken tenderloins diced 360 cals
    120 gr carrot 45
    100 gr celery 16
    50 gr green beans 16
    4 spring onions 20
    1 clove garlic (chopped) 5
    chicken stock (about 1/2 cup) 10
    472 total

I like my veg. fairly chunky for this so I just zap them in microwave before adding to wok/pan. I don’t zap sp. onions or garlic.
    Fry chicken til just cooked – set aside, then add onion, garlic and veg to stir fry to taste. Add stock to help make a little juice and add chicken back in to stir around a little. Salt to taste.
    On a non fast day using a little oil adds to taste, otherwise I briefly spray chicken before cooking. Also use a little arrowroot and more stock to make a clear gravy on NF days.

So, for fasting purposes total is 234 cals plus 36 for 5gr of Lucky oven roasted, chopped almonds sprinkled over.
    On non fast days, serve over rice.
    A mild but tasty dinner that can be added to if you have the cal count.

Miso soup. 65 calories
    3 cups water
    2 TBS Miso paste
    10 snow peas
    3 Pak Choy
    1/2 Green onion. ( I couldn’t find one so used tiny portion brown onion)
    1/4 red capsicum
    1/4 cup julienned carrot

Chop or julienne the ingredients. Add to the water with Miso paste and bring to the boil. Boil gently for about half an hour. As I wanted to use this as a hot drink, I blitzed the prepared mixture with my Bamix. It looks yucky but tastes OK and is quite filing.

FETTA AND TOMATO SUMMER TART Serves 4 273 CALORIES per serve (with red fat fetta)

2 Sheets Filo Pastry
    4 large Eggs
    1/4 cup hilo milk
    2 sprigs thyme leaves
    150 gm Reduced Fat Fetta (or use full fat and adjust calories)
    4 Basil Leaves
    2 tsp Parsley
    2 second spray Olive Oil or use a brush
    2 Tomatoes preferably home-grown or truss tomatoes (for flavour)
    Sea Salt and Ground Pepper

Preheat oven to 180oC. Grease a tart dish. Cut 2 sheets of filo to app. the size of the dish. Brush olive oil between the sheets & fit roughly into the dish.
    Beat together the eggs, milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Crumble 100gr of the fetta into the mix & pour into the tart dish. Bake for 20 mins.
    Remove from oven & combine the sliced tomatoes, remaining fetta, torn basil & chopped parsley. Place on top of the tart. Yummy, easy peasy and good size serves too.

Morning superfood smoothie.165 cal

I cup chopped apple
    1/2 cup diced pineapple ..fresh is best
    1 cup unsweetened coconut milk. Can us water if you like
    I teaspoon spirilina
    I teaspoon wheatgrass .

Put in vitamix or bullet and blend till smooth.
    This is better if you have cold.
    I cut up a full pineapple and freeze in one cup lots and
    Keep my coconut milk in the fridge.

The miso soup recipe is already here. I use dogsabie’s recipe from above.. Thanks dogsabie…

Garden smoothie

1apple
    I cup spinach. Any kind or rainbow chard is also good.
    A few lettuce leaves
    I cup kale
    1 cup frozen fruit..mango, pineapple,etc
    Mint and ginger to taste.
    Juice of I lemon..I use I frozen cube
    Then add either water, coconut water, coconut milk,almond milk , unsweetened of course, to taste.

I also add chia seeds and bogie berrys sometimes if I have them.
    You will need to work out the calories for your preferred combination.

That should be Goji berries..

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply.