August 2019 – Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
August 2019 – Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 534 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  WACM 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 536 total)

• Day 20 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

@ktcaroline I had borderline high blood pressure before reaching goal but now it is in the healthy range and no health issues I am aware of 😊 although like others here I have been known to overdo the 🍷! Getting better since 5:2 and usually restrict alcohol to 3 nights a week…….I used to think nothing of sharing a bottle of red with DH every evening with dinner 😳

@penz initially I set my goal at 140 pounds as it was the lowest weight I ever achieved on previous diets and a healthy weight for my height. When I got there I continued doing my regular FDs whilst learning maintenance and my weight continued to slowly drop so I set a new goal of 133 which gives a BMI just under 22. Now I regard 133 as my red line weight and I prefer not go above it. Now maintenance seems to be about gaining and losing the same pound or two every week, so to answer your question @rabbette yes I do aim to weigh in on Fridays at a pound or two under goal in the knowledge that by Monday morning I will probably be back at goal after enjoying a few well earned and thoroughly enjoyed weekend treats….mostly 🍷😉.

Everyone has to find there own way with 5:2 and for me what makes it sustainable is keeping it real and making it enjoyable, so treats have always featured, just not every day….and when I have a special event on the horizon I like to be ultra careful in advance so that I know those treats have been earned and are enjoyed without guilt. So this week I have to be controlled as Friday is a celebration of our first year of marriage and indulgence is compulsory 🥂😋

Onwards!

Day 20 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD

B2B

Feeling positive….feeling a WHOOSH coming on! So desperately need it now to keep me focused and motivated. Fingers, toes and just about everything else crossed!

@ktcaroline – my blood pressure was slightly raised last time I had it checked but other thank that no health problems as such connected to my weight. Thankfully, no meds, doctor thinks I can bring it down simply by losing some weight. So, that’s totally my responsibility and so I’m trying to get a handle on my weight NOW before it really starts to affect my health. I do have some other complex health issues but not weight related.

One of my biggest motivators for this is I also really want to lead by example and be a good role model to my 2 daughters, I’d hate for them to have the lifelong battle with weight that I have – I say ‘have’ because I feel it is so ingrained it will always be there. I think I am coming to terms with this. This WOL is certainly making me assess my relationship with food. It can be a lonely journey sometimes but this forum gets it and is great for camaraderie, support and letting off steam!

Following on from the cashew nut discussion last week, my eldest daughter has insomnia – she’s a writer and often writes through the night and naps in the day (she’s in the final 2 weeks of an MA so is wired at the moment and her routine is shot!) I’m going to get some cashew nuts for her this week and try to persuade her to have some (she’s not a nut lover!) I’ll let you know how it goes…….

Happy FD Fasters!

Day 20 Pocket List
    @daffodil2010
    @yo-yo

Day 20 UK FD

Yesterday’s FD morphed into OMAD CD bc after dinner fruit & nut bars. O well,it was progress – a big step from holiday indulgence straight into FD while exhausted. Aiming for a good FD today – esp as I’m super busy after yesterday’s tired plod…

@lilymartin a narrowboat is a canal boat – built for transporting goods around the country in the 19th century, now mostly for leisure tho some residential or live/work boats too. My friend has had a boat for 8 years and been living on it FT for the last 10 months, planning to become a trader. She’s itinerant rather than in permanent mooring so has to move on every 2 weeks max, some moorings are a few hours or up to 48hrs, depends. We moved about 15 miles over 4 days 🙂

@daffodil2010 on my TEN MONTH (!) plateau I didn’t feel as tho I was shape-shifting at all. But having read others’ wisdom about non-scale victories I kept plugging away with 5:2 in the knowledge I was doing my body good – even if the differences weren’t in things I was measuring. I only really noticed when my friend appeared with dresses she’d measured me for in the summer & taken in over the winter, and found they were far too big…

Encouragement to anyone not seeing results – your body is doing something, so keep plugging away. Basic 5:2 will get you to a happier, healthier place. If there’s no change at all, keep an eye on calories for a week or two and check if you’re overindulging. A small tweak can get you going again…

@missybear thank you for posting your numbers! That’s almost exactly me. I hit 140 and reset goal to 133 – tho post-holiday indulgence means I pinged back up to 145! Hopefully easy on easy off…

Must get on! whatever today brings, go gently x

Day 20……Florida…….NFD/CD

Yesterday went very well…… my stomach made some unusual noises, I avoided a high calories breakfast sandwich someone brought in but I ended the day at 800 calories…..

I’m not unhappy about the 800 calories, I’d say that’s pretty good for a girl who has thrown caution to the wind for the last couple months!

I’m sticking with my 16:8, so today should be an easy day to control, although I’m on the road today, so it may not be as healthy as I’d like it to be. I was looking online and did you know that a salad at a fast food place can be almost as many calories as a sandwich.
    So, my choice will be a bit limited…… but I guess I’m just gonna have to figure it out!
    I do have some calories to play with every because tonight it taco night, so I’ll just have a taco salad with taco sauce as the dressing so, I can’t imagine that being over 500 calories leaving me about 600 calories for lunch bring me to about 1200 for the day which is just 53 calories under my rest TDEE.

It will be interesting to see where I do end up…… I’m really gonna have to use my brain for the greater good today!

Okay, I think I’ve rambled enough…… hi ho hi ho…..it’s off to work I go!

I don’t trip…….. I do random gravity checks!

Day 20, Oxfordshire,UK, FD?
    Sorry I’ve been a bit quiet, had my mum to stay which was great. But it brought some challenges too. She’s 83 and doesnt walk very far so she couldnt join DH & me on our dog walks. I felt I had to ‘entertain’ her, so we went out somewhere each day, but that involved stopping for at least a cup of tea and one day cake as well.
    The highlight of her visit was visiting my Aunt who lives about 1 1/2 hours from me. They only see each other once or twice a year.

I managed two fd’s whilst she stayed. But it made me realise that my mum is my inspiration for losing weight and keeping healthy. Seeing how she struggles with her weight and mobility has made me more determined than ever to stick to this WOL.

I dont think I have any health issues that I am ignoring but high blood pressure runs in the family so I do get it checked regularly.

I can’t remember who posted, but someone said early on to remember that the TDEE and BMR Calories change as you lose. This is something I hadn’t given much thought to. so I have changed the max daily calories in the calorie counter I use to reflect this. So thank you for that piece of wisdom.
    I use ‘Calorie Counter’ by fat secret and planning and keeping track definitley helps me.

I’m also trying my first B2B today. I had a good FD yesterday and didnt feel hungry on waking. so I’ve just had water and black coffee so far today. I’ll be having a light lunch and dinner though.

I do need to stay out of the kitchen if im in the house on my own on a FD in caseIi get tempted. I’m my own worst enemy.

My favourite quote is
    “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now.”

happy fasting everyone

Day20 UK NFD

Day 20 USA (Illinois) NFD

Good FD yesterday at 580 calories. Nice breakfast this morning on a rainy day in Illinois. Going shopping and supper out tonight – will do my best to eat mindfully.

Onward and downward.

Nice easy day back at work, Tuesdays always being light on the mail, Wednesdays heavy….it’s just how it is….don’t ask! Apparently they were filming something down in the rural part of my round yesterday, so the lane had long delays. Not Poldark this time, something else, not sure what. I deliver to the big old house that Poldark occasionally gets filmed in.
    @ktcaroline: Health problems? Hmmm, where to start. Athritis, general wear and tear, aches and pains, overuse injuries…..I don’t ignore them but the doctors don’t really help, so…
    Ones I ignore; cholesterol always a bit high, but I refuse to take statins, blood pressure borderline at the surgery, but not at home, so ok, I assume.

Day-20-Atlanta, Ga-USA- FD

2nd post

Checking in for accountability. Good FD so far. Going to make myself a two egg omelette with onion, garlic, spinach, and a tomato picked from one of my plants. MyFitnessPal tells me I will be circa 700 .cals once I factor in my bedtime kefir and cashews, So that’s ok with me, sort of FD 800…

@flourbaby Please don’t ditch 5:2! I know I often have the thought of giving up…..but only fir a short time because otherwise, where would we go?? Back THERE, that’s where! Dont want to go back THERE 😨

Just looking at the 5.2 online calculator here and I’ve put myself down as lightly active, which is no doubt helping, I say this as I could probably put myself up to next level. I walk …. quite a lot, at a reasonable speed. Fitbit or as refer to it, ‘my tag’ has me on an average day around 5 miles, sometimes up to 7 occasionally, when weather is really dire only 3 (not often) but 6 or 7 days a week.

I just use my BMR as my limit, which is 1958

So like today,
    calories in 1549
    calories used walking 905
    so not calories for day 644, way under my limit!

FD’s are brilliant, yesterday was 685 in 935 used so minus 250 for the day!

Works for me…..hope I’m making sense !

Just looking at the 5.2 online calculator here and I’ve put myself down as lightly active, which is no doubt helping, I say this as I could probably put myself up to next level. I walk …. quite a lot, at a reasonable speed. Fitbit or as refer to it, ‘my tag’ has me on an average day around 5 miles, sometimes up to 7 occasionally, when weather is really dire only 3 (not often) but 6 or 7 days a week.

I just use my BMR as my daily calorie limit, which is 1958

So like today,
    calories in 1549
    calories used walking 905
    so net calories for day 644, way under my limit!

FD’s are brilliant, yesterday was 685 in and 935 used, so minus 250 for the day!

Works for me…..hope I’m making sense !

Day 20 second post

@ihatelettuce Are you tracking your numbers for interest, or for fasting? FDs refer to total calories for the day rather than adjusting around activity

Day 21, Aus, NFD

Oh dear, I over indulged yesterday. S&V chips, chocolate after dinner and too much red wine! Why, or why do I do it. Sigh.

Back on the wagon (again) today.

Day 20 Ohio, US— MFD
    Day 19 — NFD
    Day 20 — NFD

The MFD has gone well. The unpacking is going slowly, since it seems life intervenes. Still no internet. Hope everyone is staying the course!

Day 21 – Sydney, Australia – FD

Hi all!

I’m checking into the challenge VERY late into the month.

I started 5:2 last month and whilst I’ve managed to complete the two fast days per week, progress has been slow (perhaps because I was on holiday for half of July).

My problem is the weekend, when I tend to drink and eat far too much so going to try and rein that in a little.

Normally I quite enjoy the FDs, but today I am starving. Trying to DROWN THE DRAGON so I can hold out for dinner later on 🙂

Day 21: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD….as ever!

Running a bit late, need to be ready for work in, um…four minutes….must go!
    @silverpaperclips: Nice to see you back!

See you all later xx

Day 21 – Melbourne Aus – FD

Posted on Monday but seems it didn’t work 🙁 but none the less it was a successful FD at 440Cal.

Yesterday was an absolutely crappy day, TOM, meetings back to back and snowed under at work, went to go to the physio and booked for the wrong day, and left my gym gear at work…! sigh.

So no gym this morning but went for a couple of walks.

Have skimmed through all posts and it’s nice listening to the chatter and support of the challenge. Sorry I haven’t been that present this month.

DH and I are off to Queenstown skiing for the week on Friday, so I’ll likely not post, but I will try and be mindful food wise.

Going to aim for a modified FD of about 600cal today, my hormones are making me ravenous (and a little fragile).

Hope everyone is doing great!

Pocket List Day 21:
    @silverpaperclips
    @gretta

Day 21 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Another ATL, 68.5kg today. The tracking is really making a difference. But that’s it. I don’t want to go any lower. I’m glad I’ve got some wiggle room for my brief trip though.

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Day 21 – Ireland 🇮🇪 -FD

Another impromptu FD making it B2B2B and for the first time in AGES going to attempt an OMAD. I have my herbal teas and organic boullion to have for “lunch” and if the weather is up for it a long walk at lunchtime. Evening meal is already prepared – lentil and broccoli soup with a touch of spice.

Taking note of how @missybear operates her maintenance and that’s exactly how I want it to be. I want to enjoy the wine and treats, just not all the time, so I am inspired to keep on keeping on but being ultra careful during the week and wriggle room earned. Thanks for the tip @missybear

And you are killing it @funshipfreddie with the ATL!! 👍 Well done you 😄

So today I looked at a weight app that I have been using since…….2016! That’s when I came back from a long 8 week trip travelling through Spain, Italy, France with DH on the motorbike. In that 8 weeks of feasting and fun I got up to 166lb. So I lost the extra 30lb and more in the year following when I found this WOL.

However, what I did last year was manually rearrange my goal weight on the app and had myself with a goal weight of 120lbs. I have not been near there since the 1990’s. It’s need uninspiring to see how far away I am from “goal”. So today I let the app choose my goal weight based on all my stats.

And I only have a few lbs to get there, not a whole stone or more!!! That’s making me feel motivated. I look good in my size 10’s, just a few pounds off and will fit into clothes better. And taking @songbirdme as inspiration, an extra few pounds will stave off wrinkles ☺️ Don’t have much yet bad I don’t want the wrinkly neck and décolletage of older age, so I will stick to this new goal weight, with maybe some wriggle room.

Got to get there first though!!!

And I still believe that this is the week of the Whoosh!!!

Pocket List Day 21
    @daffodil2010
    @gretta
    @silverpaperclips

@michelinme …. Tracking numbers daily, including fasting days, the only way I can do it to be honest, I have to note all food calories as well (with my better half supervising!) otherwise it might all go pear shaped, excuse the pun! I wondered if my post made sense!

Always list actual calories in ie on last FD actual calories in was 685 which is already way under my BMR of 1958.
    That’s the way I work my numbers, taking off the daily walk calories, 935 used, just seems to give more encouragement …. ie 685 in 935 out ending up -250 with a BMR of 1958, which is going down each week along with the other numbers.

I don’t think I’m cheating myself or anyone else for that matter as start date was 26th July, just over 3 weeks ago and after this mornings weigh in I’ve lost a total of 12 lbs !

Day 21 – Reading UK – CD

Hello everyone! I’m aware I’m being a terrible host, but checking in and reading and smiling all the same. Not doing too much fasting, but equally not overeating, so just treading water. Which I think isn’t too shabby for the time being.

Interesting to read everyone’s thoughts on what you are ignoring – I guess you know what I’m going to say – I’ve been dumped on statins and blood pressure reducing tablets without much of a say because of what’s happened. I think with hindsight it might have been better to have listened. The other interesting thing was people’s thoughts on alcohol. I’d classify myself as an enthusiastic drinker, rather than a heavy drinker, I think in common with some here. But I gave up rather abruptly six weeks ago after thinking long and hard about my health. I have no idea whether stopping booze contributed to my blip, maybe it did, maybe it didn’t, who knows. But I wonder whether small amounts of wine are OK in a healthy diet. The Romans and ancien Greeks thought so ….

Anyway, enough rambling – today’s question:

What non-food treat do you allow yourself to bring a smile to your face when you need it? Mine has to be flowers 🙂

Day 21, London, UK, FD,

Well I’m certainly feeling less sorry for myself than yesterday, I needed to put down on paper (so to speak ………………. Or is that write???) I digress; anyway, as is usually the case with me, if I write down a plan, or just thoughts I can usually work through things by the end. In this case, because I’m not seeing scale successes or inches for that matter I’m becoming despondent, I know how this works and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that I’M EATING TOO MUCH!!!! I say eating but the wine has been ever present in August, despite it being semi-Arid-August (as if!!!) So @daffodil2010, I’m going nowhere!!! I NEED these challenges to rein me in, they’re not always successful and tracking my weight I see I’m heavier than this time last year!! 2lbs is still 2lbs, but, to paraphrase @at ………………………. I didn’t come this far, just to stand still!!! So, rather than throw my hip out, trying to kick my own ar*e, I’m knuckling down and sticking to what I know works, Asda has my favourite New Covent Garden soups on special, perfect for FDs. I’ll head over after work to stock the freezer and this weekend I’ll be donating all the crap in my kitchen to the skinny family members ……………………….. or just the annoying ones!!!

@i hate lettuce, I’m glad the number tracking is working for you, you’ll find that the exercise makes very little difference to your numbers, but it’s essential for your mental health!! When I started I calculated my TDEE for my goal weight and stuck to that on NFDs, it means when I get there (!?) I’ll be used to eating the ‘right’ amount of food!!

@daffodil2010, anything to keep the wrinkles at bay!! I use bone broth regularly, in the hope that it helps, of course I’m still slapping on any lotions, potions & as much coconut oil as I can get my hands on!!!

I’m off to drown another thunder of dragons, the key to this WOL ………………………. Water, water, water ……………… and support from my fellow challengers of course!!!

“Before you put on a frown, make absolutely sure there are no smiles available.” Jim Beggs

Day 21 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD

B2B2B

Note to self – Just. Keep. Going.

@ktcaroline – my non-food treat has got to be silence and a good book…..

Pocket List Day 21
    @daffodil2010
    @gretta
    @silverpaperclips
    @yo-yo

Day 21 – Ireland – FD
    Hi all, I have not been very present this week… lots going on…
    My dad is in hospital having fallen over the weekend so we are taking out turn to stay with my mum who has Alzheimer’s and has moments where she is so lucid and knows what’s happening and then other times she doesn’t really know what’s going on..
    I had acupuncture on Monday which, I think, is helping my feeling of losing control over what’s going on in my life 😂😂… early days but think I am more focused and keeping an eye on my hot flushes… hoping they’ll diminish… Janey mac life really is a roller coaster so my advice to everyone is to enjoy the times where everything seems to be going well in life 👍👍👍
    So… around all this I’m back to clean diet, on the dry and getting fresh air and deep breaths… and have had a good FD on Monday and another today 💪 💪💪💪
    Hope everyone is doing ok! Be strong and enjoy those important people in your life 💕
    Sorry haven’t read posts but will try read them later..
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 21…..Florida…..FD

So, yesterday was an okay day for a NFD. I ended up eat at Panera Bread, it was really good. I decided to go there because I was in the area but also because I can not get anyone in my family to go. So I ended up having a cup of Broccoli and cheese soup and a half of bacon turkey bravo. Both super super good!
    Then I had my favorite fattening coffee…… so, I’m around 950 calories….. not bad!

I get home and calculate my dinner 3 cups of lettuce 15, 1/4 of cheese 110, chicken 210, 2 tbl spoons of salsa 15 calories, mild sauce 60 calories……

Okay so, I’m a tad over my 1200 calories, not bad…..I’m happy!
    Then a knock comes at the door….. who should walk in…… my BIL….. he’s come for dinner and he brought the wine…..
    He also happens to be my wine partner…… oh hell……. I only had one very tall glass!
    So, with the wine….. which was a very dry white wine with a taco salad…… combination are not my expertise….. I can only imagine how much I did go over!

Today, is a new day……….

My nonfood treat that always puts a smile on my face……. all my boys including the husband gone for the day, the house quiet and me cleaning! I really enjoy cleaning, it’s relaxing for me….. If I’m mad, upset, moody….I clean! It’s better when no ones home because I’m there with my own thoughts and I don’t have anyone needing my attention, no ones going behind me making a mess, plus there is no one damn Tv on.
    Everyone of the rooms in my house have tv in there and they are normally on. Especially during football season or a big boxing match!
    And I hate TV, the noise is just…..ugg!
    Even worse….. now these days because of the political discord……
    worse thing ever invented….. the television!
    They are everywhere!

Okay, I’m done rambling!

Have a great day!

I don’t trip…….I do random gravity checks!

Busy Wednesday at work…lots of mail, lots of parcels…
    Came home, ate for England (WHY do I do that??)including TWO (yes TWO) marzipan Ritter bars totalling nearly 1000 calories alone…WHAAAAT!
    @penz: So I know how you felt yesterday.
    This gets me thinking (again) I MUST regain control tomorrow. Easy on a full stomach, I know. It would probably help my hips and knees if I weighed less. I carried my 7kg dog up the stairs and had to put her down pretty quickly, as it hurt my usual painful legs/tendons/buttocks more. So, logic suggests that if I lost, say, 7kg….my pains may subside.
    @i-hate-lettuce: you may notice that I don’t count calories…..but look where it got me, eh?!
    @flourbaby: Glad to hear more positive vibes from you today xx

Doh duplicate entry, sorry!

@ciren2 ….. Hi, I’ve found the only way I can do this is by counting calories (even if just an estimate) but pretty lucky in that my OH is pretty much doing the same except she doesn’t do the fasting days.
    My BMR is 1958 so on most non fasting days I stick to about 1500, then there’s 2 days fasting about 600 calories, then I allow myself one day off so still manage a glass or two of red!
    Not only do I keep track of calories consumed I walk a lot and the exercise makes it a double edged sword, attack from lowering calorie intake and increase calories burned!
    I’m the same as you, creaky knees particularly, but already feeling the difference.
    FD tomorrow so by Friday morning weigh in I should be running on empty…. as an old friend used to say, better an empty house than a bad tenant!

Day 21 USA (Illinois) NFD

Likely will go over TDEE today, but that’s gonna happen. Still, I expect maintenance will be fine since I had a great Silver Sneakers workout this morning.

Dinner will be grilled steak, potatoes, garden fresh green beans, my fave 19 Crimes (Aussie) Shiraz. Light dessert planned as well.

@ktcaroline – I have read there are great benefits to stopping drinking altogether, but I do also know Paul wrote to Timothy in the Bible that ‘a little wine is good for the stomach.’ (I Tim. 5:23) Not sure about blood pressure though.

@daffodil2010 & @missybear — let’s hear it for a few extra pounds staving off wrinkles!

Non-food smiles: Have to agree with @yoyo_fletch that silence is golden, but if I do have to hear anything, then songbirds are my thing — also seeing colorful ones. Oh, even sparrows are pretty special.

Onward and downward.

Day 22, Aus, FD

Thank you all. My resolve was waivering but reading all your posts has helped me defn mentally commit to a FD today.

There are so many non-food treats I love. GREAT question, @ktcaroline! (And you are doing a fab job hosting.) Such a good reminder of how many wonderful things there are in life that don’t have to be eaten! I love the sunshine, I love taking my dogs for walks.

Day 22 pocket list:
    Penz

Day 22 FD country west Australia
    Day 21 NFD.

Why or why do I do the things I do??
    Yesterday, going really well and then – ate a WHOLE Lamington ( enough for 2 as it was HUGE) PLUS 1/2 packet of jelly beans PLUS a handful of Maltesers.
    And I wonder why the scales are up???? ( Not really. I actually KNOW why the scales are up, but why the self-sabotage??)
    Anyway BACK on the wagon today and looking forward to a good FD.
    Not feelling hungry as of now – but it IS only 8am!!!!!
    @flourbaby, @daffodil2010,@michelinme, @ Penz DO NOT stop 5:2.
    Repeat DO NOT stop 5:2. I did and boy oh boy it is going to take a monumental effort to get back to where I started 5:2.
    I must say @michelinme, I give you a Gold Star for stickability and perseverance. I think it was a 3 month plateau that did me in , but 10 months!!!!!
    So glad to have you around. You are my inspiration.
    If I hit a another plateau I will think of you and keep on keeping on.
    The narrow boat sounds great. Thanks for informing me.
    I learn so much from this forum , more than just health things.
    @funshipfreddie – congratulations. You are doing so well.
    @jaifaim, so sorry to hear about your parents. I hope things turn out for the best.
    It is a hard time as we get in to middle age.
    We are the ‘sandwich’ generation ( so many foodie references).
    A friend put it well. She said it is like having a car – your children get out one side and your parents climb in the other! So true.
    @ktcaroline, I think you are doing well as host. I am always so pleased to have someone take the helm.
    I would put my hand up but am simply not organised enough – and completely computer illiterate as to spreadsheets etc. So well done to you.
    @i-hate-lettuce I have to plug the numbers for some weeks to keep myself on track. Not something I like to do but one way that is helpful. It’s something I never did pre 5:2.
    Hoping you all have the best day today can be for you.
    Onward and downward -ish.😁

Day 22 – FD – Adelaide, Aus
    My weakness has to be the nut and chocolate bars I buy for my children to have as snacks at school. I’ve eaten three in one sitting. But that is the only sweet thing I have in the house unless I want to bake myself a treat. @lilymartin Is there a reason you have temptations in the house? Jelly beans and lamingtons and malteasers…if I had those in my house I’m sure I’d succumbed to the temptation except for the lamingtons. I’ve never developed a taste for them.
    @ktcaroline I love looking at photographs of my children to make me smile.
    Gotta go. Birthday cake at work (it’s carrot) and I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE ANY!!

Day 21 Ohio, US — NFD

I got internet!!! I set up my internet connection this evening and now the world is getting back into sync. The NFD has gone well and I’ve stayed on task all day. I have a sneaking suspicion that I gained some weight during the time I was taking almost all of my meals at restaurants. There still isn’t an open space to put down the scales, so right now this is still a surmise. By the weekend I hope that enough boxes have been unpacked that some uncarpeted floor space will open up. Until then I’ll continue to ingnore Cruella.

@Winsome waif Someplace Michael Pollan gives as one of his food rules that it’s okay to have snacks (i.e.sweets) provided that you make them yourself. So maybe your kids would like homemade nut rolls or trail mix? What do you think?

@lilymartin How many times I’ve been in your boat! Remember the Chinese proverb: Failure is not in falling down but in not getting back up again. So welcome to the “Back Up Again” club!

@ciren2 One of the reasons that I suspect I’ve gained a little weight is that one of my knees is having some discomfort and I notice that when I get down into the maintenance range that pain goes away. During the last month or more I haven’t been able to do my regular yoga practice so that could be a contributory factor as well. Being pain free is a great motivator. So the next time that marzipan calls, just remember that it’s really marziPAIN.

Hope everyone has survived hump day!

Days 21 & 22 – Japan – NFD

I’m not going to do any full day fasts for the next two weeks. There are just too many conflicts. (Birthday, son’s last full-time days in Japan, moving him to Princeton, etc)

I’ll probably skip some meals, etc.

One of the bad things about water fasting is I dehydrate so much the first day. Normally it is fine but when I’m not in a place I know well, I don’t like to having to find a bathroom.

Day 22: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Quick check-in then off to work. DD currently flying from Melbourne to Thailand….for a holiday with her boyfriend, currently en-route from UK, and stopped over in Doha! Somewhere in the middle east….Qatar, I believe. Hoping they manage to meet up ok.
    @dykask: Good luck with everything and your son too.

Day 22 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Three stays of fasting, B2B2B, with yesterday being a liquid fast day (it was what the medical world call a Full Liquid Fast…ie, that soup for my OMAD evening meal was blitzed to liquid)….. Doing ok, but no Whoosh yet 😀

I was pretty hungry though this morning so for the first time in a long time on a work day I have had breakfast. A small bowl of Oatbran porridge with chia seeds and a few blueberries that I picked from one of my plants on the patio 👍 Now having coffee as normal and looking forward to the day ahead….my last workday of the week as I am off tomorrow 💃

@ktcaroline non-food treats for me would be buying seeds to plant up (have some hollyhock and sweet pea ready to sow), anything that involves pottering about the garden, sitting on my patio looking at the antics of the birdies on my feeder, reading travel guides to exotic places I hope to visit, doing a spot of reiki on myself, ….goodness I have lots of non food treats for myself it seems. Oh, I often love just getting into the car, on my own, and driving around (I live in the country).

@jaifaim hope you are doing ok? This time of life is not easy. But loved ready your “Janey Mac”…..I love that sweet expression ☺️

Have a great Thursday.

Day 22 Fasting day today

Well, hoping to hit the first full stone off on my weekly weigh in day tomorrow, at the end of week 4 on 5:2
    The vast majority of the time was easy, but others hard work …. todays FD could be difficult.
    It’s pouring down, was planning a long walk instead of being around the house and gardening while wifes out. So plan B …. treat day, go and get some new walking boots and break them in on short walks if the rain eases!

@suki2 love your favourite quote …
    “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now.”

Hope anyone else on a FD today has an easy one.

Day 22, London, UK, FD

Yesterdays’ FD went really well, rewarding me with a 1lb loss, I need to maintain this now over the next 4 NFDs, maybe I’ll go for 4 CDs 800-1200cals? No pressure!! Having looked at myself in the mirror in my undies this morning, I’m feeling a little disappointed, my thighs aren’t as toned (or as far apart!!!) as when I returned from my holiday and tummy is distinctly ‘Budda-esque’, the wine & crisps have lodged themselves firmly onto the places I find it hardest to lose!!! September will definitely be a 30 Day shred, Alcohol free (NO MATTER WHAT!!) and faithful fasting month!!!…………….. I am NOT pitching myself off of the wagon, I haven’t come THIS far, to only come this far!!!

@jaifaim, I hope your mum is comforted by having familiar faces around & I hope your dads fall wasn’t serious and he’s home soon.

@ciren2, I know I’m not one to talk(!), but you need to wipe Ritter from your memory, it’s your trigger!! Try not to buy them, then you won’t have the pain brought on by trying to resist it, then the guilt that follows!! It’s a lesson I have to re-learn regularly, but I’m now realising a ‘Special Offer’ really isn’t all that special …………….…….. but I am!!!!!

@dykask, I hope everything goes well, it’ll be hard to cut those apron strings, but it’s just one more step on his journey to becoming the man you want & expect him to become!!

@ktcaroline, nothing brings a smile to my face, I’m a curmudgeonly old gal!!! Only joking, I’m in the peace & quiet camp especially if I can cocoon myself in my favourite blanket with a good book ……………. Wine optional ………… (well it is now!!)

“A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.” – unknown

Day 22 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD

Sigh…..so yesterday’s FD went to pot, I had a very persistent headache ALL day and felt grumpy and tired. I had some homemade soup and a roast chicken wrap when I got in from work at 5pm circa 650 cals so not too bad…..if I had stopped there…however DH couldn’t resist the end of day sale at our local Cornish Pasty shop and presented me with a golden delight I should have said ‘no’ to but didn’t. It was a pork and apple pasty and delish (prefer the traditional ones though!), my headache went and my grumpiness lifted. Can’t even guess how many cals in that so will chalk it down as a NFD. Hoping to make up for it today – making it 3 FDs this week for me, I should be happy with that despite yesterday’s ‘fail’. Need to take the rough with the smooth and jump back on the FD train.

Last working day of the week for me! Yaaay! Bank holiday weekend coming up, weather looking good, 4 NFDs (need to be mindful!) What’s not to like!!! Looking forward to some much needed R&R.

Tonight, I’m going to do some weekend meal planning to help me stay on track over the next 4 days, might involve some wine planning and beer planning too……

Have a great weekend everyone.

And of course…Happy FD Fasters! Stay strong….

Day 22 pocket list:
    @penz
    @yo-yo

Day 22 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

@ciren2 I know you are struggling to get back on the 5:2 wagon…….so a suggestion, try to apply 5:2 to those Ritter bars, maybe on just 2 days a week swap the Ritter for a piece of fresh fruit and you will be saving around 1000 calories a week with a small change 😉

Day 22 pocket list:
    @penz
    @yo-yo
    @missybear

Onwards!

Day 22 UK FD

Day 22 post #2

Thanks for the support. My son leaving is many times harder on my wife than me. It has been a seriously rough summer because of that. I’m looking forward to seeing my son get started. However … finances is seriously scary. In the end I’ll probably get off cheap, but there are a lot of big pot-holes we have to get past before that happens.

Day 22…….Florida…….CD

Yesterday was a very good FD, I did end up going over the 500 mark by about 20 calories or so…..Win….Win!
    Today, I’m just going to do my best to stay under 1200 calories. I don’t want to do a b2b but I’m also planing ahead because I have tomorrow off and the hubby and I will going on a wilderness journey. Not sure where will end up or what will do, so FD and CD are probably out of the question.
    I do work Sat., so I’m going to try and make that a FD although I have never fasted on the weekend!
    I guess there is a first time for everything.

Dykask…….. our oldest finished college about 3 years ago and my youngest is in his 2nd year. Financially, we were very scared but we got very lucky. So, If I may give you this information and maybe it will help. Both my kids went to different schools, so paying is a bit different…… There are thousands if not millions of scholars ship, grants, and more out there. These are just waiting for students to use them, 65% of the scholar ships are never claimed. Some you have to write essays, some you have to do some volunteering for. Grants same thing, except they go on a federal, state, county as well as town basis. It’s just a matter of finding them, doing what is required and waiting. It is a timely process, but the effort pays off! My oldest went and finished school walking away with a diploma, an extra 250 dollars from an unused grant and we did not have to pay a dime. My youngest in the process of doing the same thing, his is a bit different only because of his field of study, he had a summer clinical that we had to pay a portion of which ended up being about $500. Come to find out most scholarships and grants do not cover summer sessions.
    One of my youngest kids scholarship pays just for materials such as books, laptop, uniforms etc…. but he is going into the medical field….. so we were looking at expenses that were extremely foreign to us. Like this device that picks up radiation levels when working around xrays and stuff…..
    it’s there for you and your son……. but it’s you have to do a lot of work.
    If I were you the best place to start looking is right in your own community, schools, libraries and local governments….. also, you can go to places where your son could possibly work in the future and see if they have scholarships or even if they will sponsor your son…..
    My kid got a $1500 scholarship from a doctor office and all he had to do was 150 hours of volunteering in the office and the office was medical but not what he is studying.

I wish you and yours the best of luck, may his new journey take him to places he never thought he’d experience!

Okay well…..I need another cup of coffee!

I don’t trip…….. I do random gravity checks!

Day 22 UK CD
    Day 21 NFD

Quick check in ahead after full on days – meetings yesterday and trying to get project work done/catch up & prepare for going away tomorrow.

I’m definitely feeling puffier this week than last – suspect it’s the sugar in the fruit bars which have been rather a habit. Also not drunk enough water for a few days which always seems to result in puffing up. Going to do my best to make good choices this weekend – I’m baking and taking a high protein gf loaf, apples, fruit bars & peanut butter. I’ll stay away from sugary carby things and aim to have a brunch picnic and a cooked evening meal each day. And be on the hunt for fruits & salads – due to be a v warm weekend.

Off to 4-day festival – a mix of action and time off. I’m involved in one event and feeling v nervous! Hopefully I can get lost among the crowds and find quiet corners too, but I’ve heard it’s pretty exhausting.

i’ve packed my bags but not yet written my contribution – and realised I don’t have a sleeping bag or torch so off shopping first thing tomorrow! Still need to shower & wash my hair – and start to think about my talk – which will have to be typed & sent out first thing tomorrow too. But too tired to think creatively tonight – definitely in need of some serious sleep, even tho I’m feeling the deadlines pressing.

Wishing you all a good last week of August. Whatever it brings, go gently x

Day 23, Aus, NFD

Had good FD yesterday. Feeling good and back in control. Crossing fingers for your much anticipated whoosh, @daffodil2010

@Yo-YoFletch – I wouldn’t consider yesterday a fail. That’s a bad f-word on this forum! To me, it looks like your DH’s pasty present was just the uplift you need. A positive mood is much more helpful to stay mindful on 5:2, than a grumpy one.

Beautiful sunny day here, despite overnight low of -5 (Celcius). Have a great weekend everyone!

Day 22 Ohio, US — NFD

Kept on task for this NFD. No unpacking today as there were too many chores to do.

@michelinme Have a great festival! Hope it’s time to recharge both the metabolic and spiritual batteries!

@bert1802 I think that in the Fast Diet book some of the recipes for a day total to about 530 or 540 calories, so there is some leeway there. Hope you and your hubby enjoy the wilderness day!

@daffodil2010 You are so lucky to have blueberry plants on your patio. Did you plant them yourself? I bet the berries are delicious!

Day 23: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Must rush, or I’ll be late for work. Happy to report that DD successfullt met up with BF in Bankok having both come from opposite sides of the world!

@flourbaby: I just counted a stockpile of 30 Ritter bars in the cupboard!!!!!!!!!!! yes, they were on special offer for a few weeks in Waitrose, couldn’t resist.
    @missybear:…..but, yes, I must try to limit myself.

I’ll catch up later.

Day 23 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I hope this works. Yesterday I was informed that I’d been blocked?!

You have been blocked from entering information on this blog. In order to prevent this from happening in the future you may ask the owner to add your network address to a list that allows you full access.

@ktcaroline – my non-food indulgences; books, and an occasional visit to the casino.

Day 23 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Off work today, yay! We are supposed to do a shakedown run with our camper van and the “moto-tote” motorcycle carrier on the back, (carrying our BIG BMW GS 1200 motorbike- 267 extra kilos) down to Kerry today. BUT, still haven’t got the lights up on the rack so until that’s done we won’t be going anywhere. So I guess I have a day in the garden while DH does the wiring ☺️

Plan is to travel with motorcycle on back to Spain in the next few weeks. Park up by the beach then off for spins on the motorcycle. It’s a massive big bike though so need lots of shakedown runs before we leave Ireland. Fingers crossed my handy Andy DH can fix it up soon. Me, useless with electrics 😱

@matpi yes, I planted three different blueberry bushes this year. Two in pots on the patio, and another in large raised bed. As its their first year crop has not been huge, but there is a late fruiting one currently bursting with blueberries p. It’s so cool to pick a handful to add to my porridge…and yes, a thousand times better than commercially grown and frozen varieties.

@penz thanks for good wishes but no Whoosh. Will keep positive thoughts. Still on lower end of plateau, so will start again on Monday.

Right, off to get DH out of bed and get working on that van ha ha 😄

Have a great Friday people !!!

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 536 total)

You must be logged in to reply.