are there many guys on this diet ?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
are there many guys on this diet ?

This topic contains 842 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  penguin 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 849 total)

• Yikes cubed! Living in the country that is a temptation I am not often exposed to. When I go into town it seems that the UK may already be like that. Everyone seems to be eating. Walking without something to eat or drink in your hand is a minority activity.

I’m stunned at the calories in these meals.
    This diet has really opened up my calorie awareness.
    I’m not against fast food if you like it (and I do) but it’s clear if you eat that way everyday, you’ll be in trouble.
    I like the occassional Big Mac but I’ll always take water with it and no sundae.
    No Coke and just small fries. Next time, I’ll leave out the fries…
    Again, portions are a problem. Believing you get a bargain because the portions are big is just poor judgement when your health is in play.
    But these companies are pros. They’ve done their homework. They know what and why people buy from them. And the offer of really healthier food, well it’s pretty small.

September 30th already…ending the month right on 85 klgs, down 1 from September 1st. Low point for month was 84.5 klgs on September 23. Body Fat down .5

Well just 1kg down in a month ? Are you dissappointed ?
    Don’t get discouraged. It will go.

My wife lost such a small amount at the beginning that she was dispairing feeling that the “sacrifice” was not worth it but weighing in today, she’s lost 2,5kg in 3 weeks and is feeling the “perverse” joy of fasting too.
    She didn’t weigh herself right at the beginning like I did so maybe she’s even lost a bit more.
    She says she can feel her body buzzing. Her BMI has started dropping quite a lot. But still 26,6 which is way over.
    So keep at it !

August 2024. If I had averaged a 1 kg per month loss since I started 5:2 I would have hit my target last year. Over the time my average must be about 1 lb or 500 grm, depending on your system. I am still content – I am 42 lbs or nearly 20 kg lighter than I started and I have the rest of my life to get there.

Thanks for the encouragement guys,greatly appreciated.

A bad week – I was given a bottle of whiskey which I drank, with the usual result that I ate too much. I regained all but one of the pounds lost in last week’s 60 hour fast. So another two days of fasting Mon/Tues. I chose a different approach this time – 18 hours of fasting then my FD allowance in the remaining 6 hours. Result: 6 lbs down. In terms of result, much the same as last week’s 60 hour fast, in fact probably the same pounds! Over the two weeks, 2 lbs down.

Bad week for me too.
    I just don’t understand how my weight can fluctuate so much in just a few days.

1,2k more than Friday. Ok I admit I had a few peanuts last night but hey, that’a heavy price to pay.

Thinking of making this 4:3 for a while but was experiencing a few dizzy spells the other day so maybe not such a good idea.

Today is a new day for us all!
    Bit of a disastrous NFD yesterday for me;I attended a celebration in the evening and went overboard on the dessert table. It was not even that good, just things I have not had in a long while. It is Thanksgiving for us in Canada next Monday and there are numerous celebrations to navigate through between now and then.

Nice to see more guys on here. I’ve been a disaster this summer as I’ve been traveling extensively. Weighed in at 182 yesterday and decided that since I’ll be home for three months there will be no excuses to hit my goal of ~ 12% body fat ~17 lbs or fat before my 66th birthday in December.

My fast days will be very low protein single meals designed to promote atophagy. Yesterday I had 2 cups of veggies with 1tbs of MTC oil & 1 tbs of olive oil. About 2 grams of protein and 350 k calories. Lots of walking on fast days to deplete glycogen. Yesterday was pretty easy to do. It’s all mind set for me. And no more than one glass of wine on NFD!

diverdog,

Autophagy is occurring all the time, although you can somewhat speed the process up somewhat. What you want to do as part of autophagy is to replace cells that are only able to utilise glucose efficiently with cells that can burn both glucose and ketone bodies. You can do this by going hard core keto diet or by regularly fasting. By fasting I mean real fasting (water only) and not simply a reduced caloric intake. By doing this it becomes somewhat of a Darwinian selection of the fittest. Cells that can only utilise glucose efficiently are selectively killed of first and replaced by cells that can cope in a glucose AND ketone environment. You will end up with cells that can then cope well in two distinctly different “food” environments. This will take time, expect it to take 6+ months. I still water fast once per week (36 hours). I prefer to do this rather than adopt a keto diet, although my consumption of refined carbs is minimal. If you must have a glass of wine make sure it is at least a red one.

Agreed that atophagy is occurring all the time. There is a lot of research that suggests that it is the absence of amino acids not just calories that will accelerate it. I tend to eat a pretty ketogenic diet and it’s easy for me to go into ketosis on fast days as I burn well over 5,000 calories and consume only 350 calories (oil and fibrous veggies) in a 36 hour period.

I really need to stay away from good bread and cake as they are huge trigger foods for me.

I plan on making this a long term way of eating backing off the number of fast days as I near my goal BF %. As for the wine it is an occasional glass of a very good red with some prime grass fed bison or beef. Yummy!!!

I’m amazed how much some of you know about the science of fasting !
    I had to look up “keto” and “autophagy” in the wiki…ashamed of my ignorance.

Decided when I started this diet, not to specifically select different types of food to eat more than others but to simply reduce the quantities.
    Although in reality I’ve cut out nearly all sugar, fat and carbs and upped the veg intake so there is a “natural” selection.

I’m convinced that drinking lots of water especially on fast days, is a real help. Seemed it was easier to lose the kilos a month ago when the weather was hot and tall cold glasses of water and lime were so welcoming.

Any of you tried 4:3 ?
    I was thinking of Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
    Maybe it’ll be too big a shock to the system but I do feel I could do it without much problem.

Re diverdog : 12% fat mass ? That’s really not much. Why try to get so low ?

Hi David:

Many have tried 4:3. Most don’t lose much more than 5:2 – the math does not predict much more loss, and many eat a bit more because they are doing an additional day so don’t get as much benefit as hoped for. This gives the ‘numbers’: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Dave,

Don’t sweat it, there is lots I don’t know. You tube is your friend. Just have to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

diverdog,

5000 cal expenditure each day?? Wow. How big are you and how much exercise do you do?? 12% BF, once again wow. That’s pretty lean. Im guessing Im around 18-20% and I don’t think Id want to lose too much more. Getting too old to put on lots of lean mass, plus I hate gyms.

Great to read,learn,and get encouragement from these posts. Autophagy is a new term for me as well. I am back in town after a 3 day weekend in the country at a lake side cottage to celebrate our Thanksgiving. Amazing vibrant fall colours of red ,orange, gold and rust under crystal clear blue sky; took small walks to counter caloric minefields and holiday lethargy plus I avoided some of the carbs and drank lots of water. End result, a great time with a .6 kls increase over 5 days ago which is “OK” for a post holiday reality check.
    Best regards guys

Gent’s 5,000 calories is in a 36 hour period not 24 hours. I’ve had my resting metabolism measured and I’m one of the lucky people that burns quite a bit more than average. The rest is mostly from a lot of walking and dancing. I’m 5’9” tall and weigh 180lbs @ 21% body fat today. I definitely have too much gynoid (belly) fat as measured with a DEXA scan. I’ll be happy with < 15% but I think 12% will be ideal for me.

I’m not fond of the gym either but I do go 3x a week for a very short weight workout and 2x for 10 min on the HIIT spin bike.

Hmm maybe Im leaner than I think? Im 5’10” and 156lbs. Have not had a DEXA scan though. Have never been a gym person but have taken up bike riding again after an absence of 30 years. Been doing it for 2 years now. I do incorporate a HIIT component in the ride. The last 1/2 mile of my ride is done as fast as I can do it. Im absolutely spent as I pull into my driveway.

I’d say you are definitely under 15% unless you have no muscle! Cycling intervals are great for fitness! It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job staying lean & fit.

FD yesterday brought me back into line from a body weight view, after a holiday weekend eatathon”, but I remain challenged by body fat %.

I think it is possible to get too hung-up on the technicalities. If you are losing weight and it is not muscle mass it has to be fat. I have no idea what my percentage body fat is, but I do know there is a lot less of it.

Weekly weigh in : 7 and a half weeks.
    Weight on august 23rd 84,9kg down to 76,9kg so 8kg less !
    BMI 26,5 to 24,3 so no longer “overweight” but still up there.
    Body fat 26,5% down to 21,4%

Overall I seem to have lost about 500g a week or a little more.
    However my body fat count has risen since last week. How does that happen ?

So I’m still a few kilos away from my target weight of 75kg. Another month I guess at this rate. And then what happens…

So the weight is going but I’ve still got a bit round the gut. Guess this is the fattiest part of me…

Party weekend coming up so have to be carefull.

Bad maths there !
    That’s about 1 kilo a week. That’s sounds better.

1 kilo a week doesn’t just sound better, it sounds very impressive.

David V: all is impressive! Glad you are posting as it gives me inspiration to stick to it. Away again this weekend at a seminar/conference, will try to avoid caloric minefields but it is a challenge.

David V, that’s great progress! August, travel is tough just do the best you can. It’s hard to be perfect. I’ve been doing very well on my first week of 4:3 with a 18:6 schedule on NFD’s

Well I cracked last night after opening a bottle of Rioja.
    Wife was late home so I got a head start on it.
    Opened the EMERGENCY CRISP BAG. Not good.
    So cycled for an hour on this beautiful autumn morning to make up for it.
    Always loved crisps and peanuts…

Actually went to buy a bottle of whisky too but the cashier couldn’t get the anti-theft device off it so I left it. Probably a good thing !

Have a good weekend all.

We all crack, me more than most. My last 4 fasts have been very successful, but achieved nothing because I overdid it on my non-fasting days. Got weighed this morning and find that I have done it again. My next fast is Monday and Tuesday, until then I will have to learn the habits of moderation!

Back from conference, lots of repair needed as I walked into the caloric minefield; no , let me be honest, ran full tilt into the caloric minefield.

First week of 4:3 with 18:6 NFD. -4.2 LB -1.3% BF – 1.25″ off waist. Had a very carb heavy meal today (1 whole pizza & 2 glasses of wine. I’ll bet I’m going to gain it all back tomorrow! LOL

Looking forward to a good second week.

Good FD yesterday but my scale this am registers the impact of my Carb/Calorie/Snacking weekend conference;at same weight as a week ago after FD. Oh well, along with the learning,the fresh air,country walks and fall colours were good for my lungs and soul.

Two day water fast completed. Nothing from7pm Sunday until 7.30am Wednesday. 4 lb down. No problems with hunger or energy levels. I’m not convinced that this is much more effective than a 600 cal fast but for some weird reason it seems to be easier to do.

I use a Withings connected set of scales for my weight, BMI and %body fat.
    Interesting article on their blog this morning that you might find worth the read.

http://blog.withings.com/2016/09/22/data-story-weight-gain/?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=event_201610_monthly-newsletter

Hi guys, trust all is well. I seem to be “plateaued” due to weekend over indulgences and an inconsistent exercise routine. Back to light upper body weights this am, yoga for flexibility yesterday; still need to get with the HIIT program. Main stay exercise remains long walks but as the autumn weather deteriorates that may not be a easy. If I can afford, and there is snow, I would like to get back into Nordic Skiing and more ice skating this winter to replace the walking.
    Calorie counting and fasting will be easy later this week as I have a “fun” morning scheduled under sedation for oral surgery this Thursday.Fasting for 12 hours prior to the sedation will be no problem and I doubt I will be eating much on Thursday (normal FD) or Friday into Saturday.

Well I seem to have “plateaued” out a bit too.
    It was all going so well…
    2 months on. Yes I have lost over 8kg. That’s a lot but seems my hunger has come back to haunt me.
    I lost 5kg in the first month but last week just 300g for the same effort. A bit dissappointing. It seems that as long as I’m cycling or playing ice hockey the weight will go down but if I stop for a week (school hols – no ice time) then it just stops. Or comes back on.
    We have (wife and I) really cut back on stuff. No chocolate, no biscuits, no cake, a little alcohol, hardly any meat or pasta. I find it quite difficult to think I can keep this up.
    I don’t find the FDs difficult but the constant “should I really eat this” is nagging me.
    Sunday night went haywire after playing hockey with the boys, then on to watch a football match with pizza, chips and beer. And rum etc… It was an exception, but I just wanted to eat all the bad stuff there ! !
    Dreaming of whisky too…
    Maybe it’s the colder weather kicking in ?
    Still. Feeling the best I have for years. Even my doctor noticed.

People I haven’t seen for a while now say ” Hey you’ve lost weight !”
    Then it’s followed by : “Everything OK ?”
    I’m not sure how to feel about that !

Hi David:

You have lost over 17 pounds in 8 weeks. The average weight loss over time is about a pound a week. You are just ‘reverting to the mean’. Please do not expect to continue the rapid weight loss pace you have enjoyed so far! Just enjoy the loss and know you will continue to lose, but at a slower pace, until you reach your goal. There may even be some pauses with no loss, but that is totally normal and does not require any different action on your part.

Just keep on with what you are doing and you will be fine.

Here are some tips, including information on plateaus (you might also be interested in the ‘Really, No Weight Loss’ link): https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

For me it has been 3.8 (8.36 lbs) kilos loss in 11 weeks since I started tracking on this site and incorporating FD into my life.That is apx 3/4 of a lb a week. I am currently around 84.5 kilos with a year end goal of 80 if I can. Corresponding,sustainable, Body Fat % and BMI reduction are my real focus towards long term health.

Plateau may be the word of the week. I am about to start my weekly fast and am the same weight as I was after my last water fast. Not unusual, except that we have had family visits and grandchild sleep-overs which put my wife into chocolate cake and muffin making overdrive. Normally that many extra calories would translate into several pounds of weight gain.

I have been at the 5:2 pretty much since it started several years ago, losing weight gradually, and before that had 60+ years of weight fluctuation. There is probably a logical reason for this, but I have noticed that from time to time my body seems to say to itself “Right, this is what I weigh”: and it stays there regardless of what I do to it. I am only 7 lb above target, which at 6’4″ isn’t too bad, so I am fairly relaxed about this. In the fullness of time I will lose again.

Oral Surgery yesterday, on pain killers and antibiotics for next couple of days, not sure what will be the impact aside from being very tired;may be either comatose or ravenous.

I think you’ll be out of it for a while. Make some soup ! A good butternut.
    Friday weighday and I was up 400g from last week.
    I could feel it coming this week. No sport. Too much bread, meat, wine and a great maroccan resto midweek with pastries. It was always going to be bad.
    My wife however has lost 1,2kg. I told her she can’t just pass it on to me…

Still in recovery on antibiotics and pain killers with a metabolism of -10. Unseasonably warm so I went for a walk earlier to get my drug idled brain and body back in gear, alas all I want to do is sleep again!

So sleep again. Pick the battles you can win and fight them one at a time. Get well, after which you have the rest of your life to solve your lesser problems.

Look at it his way, August. When you’re sleeping you won’t be eating.

Bronx

Thanks gentlemen;I am okay,just feel like I am walking trough jello with steel boots on. The pity/irony is, with my metabolism so turned down I am not reaping the benefit of a diminished appetite. Time for another nap 🙂

Update: Off all the dental surgery related prescriptions as of today, looking forward to body metabolism “normality”. As a kick start I went for a long walk this morning prior to trying, finally, to get some work/research done. Lots of coffee is in order.

Well weekly weigh-in. After a dissappointing result last week, I am back on track. Down to 76,2kg (BMI 24,1 and fat mass 20,6%) which is the lowest I have been for years. Quite surprised as I hit the pretzels in the bar last night.
    Down from 84,9kg. My aim is still to see 75kg on the scale. Before Xmas if possible.
    However even some of my pals have commented on my drastic weight loss. So maybe I should be careful.
    Also, my clothes are too big ! So used to hearing my wife and girls complaining about clothes – now it’s my turn. My L sized T’s just hang too baggy ! I’m down to an M.
    Still I’m feeling good.
    Still surprised looking at the BMI count. Because at 25 I am “overweight” and there I’m still at over 24. So there is not a lot of margin. If you want to get to have a mid range BMI of say 22/23, you have to be pretty thin.
    I passed my Fast diet book onto the wife of a friend. She’s read it cover to cover and has started too. And enjoying it.

@david V: you continue to inspire me! This morning I am at 84.6 Kg, my reach target is around 76 but <80 would make me happy if body fat was < 20%. My Body Fat, hovers between 26.7 and 30% at this point.

Well lads, on my second day of fasting and I’m hoping this diet is for me as I’ve tried several other things and always slide back into the negative habits every time. I’ll be back when I have something more concrete to add. I’ve 2 stone to lose. Good luck to you all!

Welcome aboard. I’ve lost a stone in a little over 2 months.

It’s a great diet. If you’re strict with the FDs, you should see quick results.
    The great thing is that it lets you eat more or less normally the NFDs although pretty quickly you start being very carefull with what you eat and when you eat even then. I’ve changed a lot of my food habits in a short space of time and I’m enjoying the challenge. Even look forward to FDs which are on a Monday and Thursday for me. Hope your family support you too.
    There is some very good advice on the website.
    Go for it !

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 849 total)

You must be logged in to reply.