Any ladies experienced reduced menstruation flow?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Any ladies experienced reduced menstruation flow?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Kathieannie 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi I am in week 2 of the diet and my period came. I was shocked how much the flow was reduced. I only notice the flow while in the loo. It may be too early to draw the link but just wonder if any ladies have similar experience on this? and any findings.

I am 44, and my weight is ok. having a few diabetics in my family so doing for health purpose. Thanks, Julia

Yes, I noticed that too. I am anemic all my adult life because of very heavy flow. I have to take iron every day for many-many years. I have a reduction for flow and for days (it is 3-4 days instead of 7). My iron level is better, and I am taking iron only during periods and 2-3 days after the periods.
    For me it is like extra benefit to weight loss.

If your period is normal and you don’t want to mess with it, you can plan fasting around it. If you have similar problem like me, you can use the fast as a tool to regulate your period. Additionally, I have much less pain during the periods.

Happy fasting. 🙂

I’ve had two periods since starting 5:2. One was a few days early and somewhat lighter than usual (but not dramatically so). I am currently now on the second, and it was a full 9 days early (I’m normally like clockwork) and it’s barely-there. My usual period symptoms of cramps and fatigue were relatively normal with the first period (perhaps a touch milder), but they’re virtually absent this time. It makes me worry about early menopause! (I’m 42.) I’m at a healthy weight (I’ve lost 8 pounds on 5:2, and my BMI is now 20.5).

I’m certainly interested in hearing more about others’ experiences and hearing about what might be going on from a scientific perspective. I’ve been reading such mixed information online. Is this a sign that the fasting is unhealthy for me? It’s unnerving enough that I don’t think I’ll be continuing.

Right now I’m at what I tend to consider my target weight (i.e., if I put on a bit at the holidays, this is the weight I always want to get back to. When the weight started dropping with 5:2, I thought it would be nice to see if I could bring my go lower. But if I’m messing with my hormones–especially if I’m doing something that could trigger menopause!–it’s not worth it since I don’t need to lose weight for health reasons, don’t have a known genetic risk for things like diabetes, and I’m not unhappy with my current weight.

for coldpizza, glad it works out as extra benefit for you.

for me, very similiar to Hillsy1592, I am concerned whether it mess with the hormones, bringing the menopause ahead of time! Since I noticed only at the 1st period since the diet, I will try until there is one more. And if it happens again, I will also stop the diet. But truly hope there will some expert looking into it. If it is affecting hormone level, it should be studied carefully.

Yes, I too hope this is something the experts are studying. I have gone off the 5:2 for now, and I will see how things go–I might try again if my cycles even out again. Do post again, juliavb, because I’ll be interested to see if your experience continues to be similar.

Hi ladies, I too have experienced a change in periods since starting 5:2. After reading another post about someone who though the 5:2 led to her becoming perimenopausal I did some research. Seems that it can definitely affect you. I’m 46 and also wondering if I’m perimenopausal now. I’ve lost over 3 stone since mid Jan and I love how my health and approach to food has changed so I’m loathe to stop as I still have another 3+ to lose. I did have a period bang on my usual 28 days last month and was really pleased but late again this month. I read that’s it’s important to eat good fats for a woman on this diet. In fact just writing that has made me realise that I’ve eaten a lot less nuts this month… could be linked?
    Do you mind if I ask how old you all are?

NorthernGal, I’m 42–but reluctantly turning 43 in June. I’ve had no signs that menopause is approaching (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) other than the short cycle and EXTREMELY light period. I’m not shy of fats on non-fast days by any means–but I prefer my fat in the form of chocolate, which might not be helpful! Other than that, a fair bit of dairy (cheese, yogurt), eggs, grapeseed oil in salad dressing and cooking. A bit of nuts here and there, but not so much, and I don’t eat meat (I do eat fish, but usually less than once a week).

I was only doing 5:2 for about six weeks, and it seems surprising to me that that would be enough to bring on early menopause. In terms of research on fasting and menopause, I came across one reference to Dutch women in WWII–they were surviving on 500 calories a day for 6 months, and on average went through menopause three months early. So it seems odd that my six weeks with two days at about 300 calories could have such a big impact. On the other hand, perhaps it depends on how close you are to ending your reproductive years–perhaps, for instance, women who experience famine in their teens and twenties experience no changes to menopause, but women who were already closer to menopause accelerate it by several years?

NorthernGal, did what you read about perimenopause suggest that these effects could be reversible, or once that process has been triggered is it a one-way journey?

Me again: one thing that has perplexed me is that two years ago, in a period of great stress, I lost 20-25 pounds in about two months. Not fasting for its own sake, but eating very little because I couldn’t bear to. That was more sustained calorie reduction + more drastic weight loss (and stress levels that suggested less than optimal conditions for pregnancy!) and yet my periods continued to tick along absolutely regularly.

It just occurred to me, though, that perhaps my body is responding differently this time because I’m two years older and therefore two years closer to menopause–but maybe it’s also because I’m thinner now? That is, when I was 160 pounds, maybe it thought, well, still plenty of weight on her, but at 140, it thought, yikes, where is this going/when is it stopping/let’s put the brakes on her fertility in case she plummets?

Hi Hillsy and so sorry not to have replied.

Yes, I think you might be right that it’s different this time, as you’re a little bit older. I’ve come to the conclusion now that fasting is most definitely affecting my cycle and I’ve just missed a period completely. I can’t say I’m happy about it, but I’ve weighed up which is better for me – staying overweight and not affecting my periods, or getting to a healthy weight and potentially having an early menopause. It is most definitely not an easy decision, but I’ve decided that I have to continue with my weight loss for health reasons. Who knows, maybe once I get to my target weight and only fasting once a week for maintenance, my periods will resume as normal.

You’ve probably done your own research, but this is the article that I found which shows the link between fasting and women’s hormones

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-women

Thanks for that article, NorthernGal! Funnily enough, I logged on today for the first time in ages to update this thread–I thought it might be helpful as others might from time to time wonder about this issue.

After two light periods close together, I stopped fasting–but then I went a whopping, personal record-breaking 37 days for my next cycle! (But with a fairly typical flow/other symptoms.) So things, are continuing to be not normal for me, despite eating regularly.

Also, I have checked in with my mother, and learned that she was on the early side for menopause (mid-40s), and some of the other women in our family have been particularly early (even younger than I am now–I’ll be 43 next week). So that’s a confounding variable: did 5:2 affect my cycle, or was I scheduled to enter perimenopause right now according to my genes? Or was I scheduled to enter it soon and did I accelerate it with 5:2? I don’t think I can say with certainty that 5:2 is the problem here–it could well just be coincidence.

I am at a healthy weight, though, so I don’t want to risk speeding things up by fasting. I’ll continue as I am for a bit, and see how things go.

HI,thank you all for the threads really helping

Hi,
    I have been 5:2 ing for 3 and a half weeks. I have noticed for the last week that I have had breakthrough bleeding the day after my fast.
    I don’t have periods as I take the pill to stop them, but now I’m bleeding twice a week 🙁 Anyone else found this?
    I am 36 so I don’t think I am menopausal.
    Thank you
    Toni

I wanted to update in case others are trying to figure this out. I would say that, to my shock and horror, I am definitely in perimenopause, with or without the 5:2. My cycles are decidedly erratic–some long, some short, some normal. (When short, very light flow. When long, normal flow.) I tend to know when I ovulate, and I think the short cycles have been anovulatory.

However, I have been on and off with 5:2, and although I am not quite certain of the pattern, it does seem that in months that I am being more rigourous with fasting, I am less likely to ovulate. I would need to be more precise to be absolutely sure, but it seems that for me, fasting tends to suppress ovulation, but I suspect that that is because my hormones are in flux anyway and perhaps more sensitive than they would have been a decade ago to things like food intake. My hunch is that 5:2 is not causing it, but is accentuating/intensifying it.

Hi Hillsy

I came across this post while looking at health benefits. I was interested to know that some people have had reduced flow, I wish I had known this years ago!

I’ve only recently started the 5:2, post menopause, and discovered that my hot flushes, which I have suffered from for year, are greatly reduced!

I’m sure the 5:2 diet helps regulate hormones in a good way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.