Anemic

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jauneikaite 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hello,

I have not been fasting long – I did 1 week then had to take a break for 2 weeks and now have fasted again last week for 2 days. On the Saturday after those 2 days I went to donate blood but couldn’t because I was mildly anaemic. My haemoglobin level was 113 g/L.

I’ve also noticed that I am very tired and cold lately, especially on Fasting days. Should I continue to Fast while my iron is low, or should I work on getting it higher first?

On feasting days I do eat red meat, spinach, broccoli, shrimp and other iron rich foods, but I have not been eating a lot of fruit lately – I was trying a low carb diet before starting the 5:2 plan. I wonder if my lack of Vit C is contributing to the anaemia.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Those small individual boxs of raisins tend to be around 100 kcal a box and are great for a snack. Raisins are high in Iron. Or you could get a multivitamin with Iron for daily use.

Hello, andy.drouin – From a brief meander around the Wondrous.www, it seems there are various types/ causes of anaemia, lack of iron being just one possible factor.
    Perhaps you might be interested in this information leaflet from the UK National Health Service (NHS) Give Blood website –
    Haemoglobin and Iron – Information for donors:

http://www.blood.co.uk/video-audio-leaflets/information-leaflets/haemoglobin-and-iron/

Interestingly, it says: ‘Vitamin C helps you to absorb more iron. So to get the most from the food you eat, have vitamin C rich foods with meals: for example fresh fruits and vegetables, or drinks such as fresh orange juice. Avoid drinking tea just before, after or with meals as this may reduce the absorption of iron from foods.’

Who knew about tea drinking around mealtimes potentially reducing the absorption of iron? There doesn’t seem to be anything that doesn’t affect everything else – the body and its nutrition are so complex and intricate that it’s a marvel to me, sometimes, that any human being does manage to walk around, quite healthy.

Hello,
    I’m 20 years old and I have anemia for a year, I had a blood refill,and from time to time drink medicines to increase my iron level.Because of that reason I am afraid to try diet. Is it save for my to try it for a month, and after do my blood test and see any changes? Does anybody had any issues and bad experiences? Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.