Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

This topic contains 1,453 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,051 through 1,100 (of 1,456 total)

• Hello everybody,

My grandkids ( 13 y/o girl and 10 y/o boy) have been here all week and I’ve not had time to read the posts thoroughly or to post in reply.

rlw66, I saw your post when skimming. Don’t be alarmed. I’ve been at this since April 11th and there were days I have gone up 3 pounds and the next day another pound up. Then, two days later it’s all gone.
    That, I can tell you, is mostly from “msg”, from fast food or restaurant food, or from salt on food you’ve eaten. Water weight. The best thing you can do is to drink plain water, eat some salad greens for lunch, and keep your proteins low in salt. That means probably not canned fish or chicken. Bake a nice chicken breast or a fish fillet.

As far as the tape measure: like K-Lo, I am not great with the tape, but in all honesty, I don’t think most people are. I mean, really, each time you do it, it may be a couple centimeters from where you put the tape last time. As With everything, you just have to average it.
    Online calorie counters are not accurate, but give you ball park. Online activity monitors give you ball park. Same with fitbits, pedometers, whatever. They give you an idea but there is probably a 20% error, plus or minus in the readings they give. Tape measures, too.

Just be patient and keep doing the 5:2 as you can and I would bet you would lose weight over time. Certainly over a year.

So, don’t get crazy and obsessive over it! Patience is a virtue! Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the feedback on the tape measure thing ….I was just surprised that it had gone up?! But I’m happy with the overall results and will keep up on this WOL until I reach my goal (40 – 50 more pounds to lose). I too have been toying with the idea of EOD fasting. I think I need the structure too keep me on track – and I too don’t “eat whatever I want and as much as I want” on feed days — I think that messes with my head to much :). Thanks again all!

Welcome rlw! Re: the tape measure. I just never pull it snug like they say to do. I mean just because I can pull it a bit tighter to get a small number doesn’t mean I’ll fit in my pants any easier! I really try to also go by how my clothes fit. When pants are falling down, that’s a good thing!

Well I made it through the first two days. Yesterday was really hard, and I was crazy hungry! I went over 500, took in 600 and will have to reconsider how to do this. I waited as late as I could like the first day and that seemed to work. I tried to keep really busy. I think maybe some days really are hungrier than others. No matter what, 600 is still close to 25% of my normal calories so I am just not going to beat myself up about it. Weighed in this morning and have lost 4 pounds, down 1/2 inch around both my neck and calves. Onward!

Off to a day long class, will check in later. Hope you are all having a lovely day.

Thought I’d jump in here to put in my 2 cents about scales and tapes too. I am pretty much scale dependent, as in weighing same time, same clothing, daily . It just works for me to keep me on track and since I do it first thing in AM before drinking water or anything, my commitment to myself is to not wreck progress by back sliding by eating more than the plan. It doesn’t always work, like seeing an uptick on weight kind of makes me want to indulge but I try to make a conscious choice when I do something crazy like eat a burrito, like I did Tues. for lunch. Last night I had a glass of wine since I low-balled dinner with spiraled Zucchini with a T. of herbal wine vinegar dressing and 6 croutons. I tend to not lose lbs. on non-fast days, but my goal is to not gain any too. Today is a fast day and since I’ve been able to keep my weight at 159 for more than a day (and breaking 160 was one of my biggest goals since I’ve hovered there for years) no way am I going to see the other side of it again, which is on me to not let happen.( I can’t help wishing I was 5′ 10″ instead on 5′ 4″ and then I might be okay at 160 🙂 Since I’m not…….onward with this plan. Now, the tape measure is a different ball game for me. I almost didn’t measure at all since I started this for many of the reasons NorthernDawn mentioned. There is a lot of variables with all the tools, including scales but I’m like K-lo and prefer using my clothing as my barometer, especially since I have some clothing in practically every sizes from 6-8 to 12-16. I’ve begun getting rid of stuff at the bigger end, but I did drag the tape out when I tried on some stuff that hung on me. It turned out I’d lost an inch on waist and inch on hips. That’s probably pretty close to being accurate judging by fit of clothes. I’ve put several pairs of slacks back into my lineup thanks to the loss of 15 lbs. and those inches but I typically don’t turn to tape measure for reassurance. I’m also getting realistic and moving the tinier sizes out of my life too. My body has changed a lot since gravity is now a definite reality and I’m not going to change that part no matter how hard I try. Now my health has the upper hand for me mentally and that’s the piece I think about all the time. I’m trying to embrace getting older.

Hang in there cactusrose! The best thing about this plan for me is it’s flexibility. It works without a lot of guilt and brain-death and is very forgiving. I adapt all the time and it was wise of you to do what you could with your calorie allotment; 600 is better than going off the deep end into 1600! I could have had spaghetti with garlic toast with H for dinner, but instead bargained with myself to have a glass of wine for some extra carbs and calories instead of pasta.

I also wanted to tell you guys latest idea! I have the dog portrait finished and coming off my easel this week and when I woke up this morning I had inspiration to do a shrine of “Our Lady of Perpetual Dieting”. 🙂 A shrine to my lifetime and many others I’m sure! Seriously, my headstone will undoubtedly read: “She lived her life trying every diet and buying the book”.

Have a great day and if anyone else if fasting today, I’m in it with you

crow mama you are hilarious, really enjoyed your portrait idea. I know just what you mean about swapping wine for pasta. I swap wine for dessert sometimes too. It’s all about choices and health. Sometimes mental health!! Yes I was proud I didn’t end up at 1600. Think about keeping one pair of your largest pants, when you get to goal, one day you’ll hold them up to you and really celebrate.

So funny how different we all are. I simply can’t weigh more than once a week or I get too depressed if I get a number that does not match my efforts. I know it’s not rational, but my mind won’t let it go. And that is precisely why I measure. In case there is no change in the scale, almost always there is a tiny change somewhere on my body, which is why I measure thighs, calves, upper arm as well as what they track on this site.

Thanks cactusrose and crowmama …..I decided not to let the tape measure thing get the better of me …it is what it is ….I will still take measurements once a month because I think mentally it is good for me …..like the scale. I used to weigh myself once a week (I still record my weight weekly – same time, same place, same clothing, etc.) but, like crowmama — I do weigh myself every single morning FIRST THING, before I eat or drink anything, etc., what I have noticed is that it does a much better job of keeping me on track, I tend to keep things more realistic. I also track food (90% of the time) in MFP which helps me get a “truer” picture on what I am actually eating. I’ve made good progress and really like this way of life. Just need a kick in the a$$ to get back on track with my fasting days. Think I’m going to try ADF and see if that gets me moving downward again — since about June 15 I’ve been up and down the same 3-5 lbs — I know it is most likely due to overeating on my NFD — I exercise for an hour 6 days a week — I’m sure if I didn’t, the scale would just continue to go up.

Whew, all that being said, I’m going to make today a FD since I splurged and had a blizzard from DQ last night (urgh!) — so the scale rewarded me with being UP 2 POUNDS — hahaha! SO NOT WORTH IT 🙂

Have a great day all!

RLW66,
    I can relate to your post. I was feeling very confident (too confident) after 4 days and a 1 LB loss on ADF/EOD so on Friday I splurged a bit and ate more than a restricted portion of a trigger food, sure enough I then indulged in other poor choices. Next day, the scale showed me up 2 LBS and I felt like it was so, so not worth it. I even wrote down the experience to remind myself how it felt sooo not worth it (belly felt uncomfortable rather than just satisfied, etc., that awful on top of things feeling) for the next time I am tempted to tempt fate!

I’m going to do a modified fast day today, then back to every other day starting Monday.

Hi. I am from Virginia.

Glad to find this forum. I am new to the forum, but have been doing the 5:2 since April 10, 2016. I had lost 9 lbs. by doing low carb before during March. I then started the 5:2, combined it with the low carb and I cut out bread, potatoes, corn, white rice, pasta and all sweets. Since April, have lost 26 lbs. for a total loss of 35 lbs. My waist is only place I have measured thus far and I have lost 3 inches off my waist!

This plan (which I am calling My eating plan, not a diet) is working great for me. I feel so much better already. Still have a lot of weight to lose, but I feel this plan is something I can “live” with on the long-term, not a short “fix” like so many of the diets I have tried in the past that did not work for the long haul. I needed something I could live with… a change that I could stick with for long term and not feel like I was on a diet.

Most of the time I choose Monday and Thursday as my fast days and I only eat one meal (at the end of the day). I drink broth if I get a headache. Just have one cup of coffee in the morning and then water the rest of the day. I am not a soda drinker. I gave that up in 2002. I am not one to use artificial sugar either. If I drink tea, it is just plain tea. Have also changed my milk from 2% regular milk to almondmilk, vanilla unsweetened to use when I want a protein shake. Only time I need milk since not doing cereal anymore.

This plan has been working so well for me, that sometimes it scares me a little…I watched a friend eat a piece of chocolate cake with chocolate icing the other night… thinking, if anything is gonna get to me and make me feel deprived, this will do it… well, guess what… it didn’t. It had no effect on me…I think what is making this plan work for me is the fact that it is MY CHOICE! No one is forcing me to do this, no one is telling me what I can or can not have. No one is telling me how many meals to eat and when and where or what time to eat. It is MY CHOICE and I make the choices!

Just praying that it continues to work for me. Enjoy reading all the posts from everyone. And knowing there is a place to come to when we have successes to share or problems to deal with. Knowing I am not alone!!

Joybee64 I am so glad you found this forum too. Congratulations on your Great success! How did you learn about 5:2?

I also call this my eating plan, not diet. I began Aug 2013 and in 10 months I lost the 26lbs I wanted to loose. I am now wanting to take it down 2 more lbs.

I had decided I was always going to be overweight because I could not abide another diet. I was really delighted to see Michael Mosley’s documentary on PBS and then repeated on Net Flicks. I thought, I believe I could live like this. I CAN LIVE LIKE THIS! It is even nice to look forward to a fast day, which I often do. That took 5 months or so to really look forward to fast days.

Welcome and good success in your eating plan!

Welcome JoyBee! I love your idea of calling it your eating plan, and talking about choices. So much of what we de really is mental to be sure. In the past I have talked so negative to myself and its hard to get out of that habit.

Pea Jay, I am really optimistic that I can follow this eating plan too for life. I used to do every other day but that was unmanageable for me on many levels. No matter what, we have to find what works for us long term or what’s the point? I actually am looking forward to a fast day today which I can’t believe I am saying. I am feeling lighter on my feet since starting and I like this feeling…I want to make choices to continue that feeling.

Hi Pea Jay
    I first saw the 5:2 plan on Dr.Oz. Dr. Michael Mosley was on his show and was talking about it. And I had seen a quick clip of something about it on social media, which I had not paid much attention to. After seeing him on Dr. Oz, I ordered his book the Fast Diet and was on my way.

Yes, catusrose, the only way this is going to work for me is if it is MY choice. I have never been one that was happy with being told what to eat, how much, when, etc. The minute you tell me I can’t have something is when I want it.. whether I like it or not doesn’t matter….just the fact that someone told me I could not have it. LOL And I have tried out many diets, with only limited success on each one. This one seems more do-able than any other I have come across and like I said… it is MY plan… My choice. And I think that is one of the biggest reason it is working so well for me. I have people asking me, “can you have this or that on your diet”… I first tell them, I am not on a diet…it is my eating plan. Then, I tell them, yes, I can have this or that… what ever they have ask about… BUT… I Choose NOT to!! My choice. yay!! My sister ask me this one day about an ice cream cone… I told her yes, I can have that, but I choose not to. She chose not to have one either… LOL

I had an experience this past week that has sorta left me baffled…for lack of better word. Maybe scared is better… as I stated in my first post that along with the 5:2, I am doing low carb and do not eat bread, potatoes, corn, pasta or sweets. Weeellll… I sat and watched a friend eat a big piece of chocolate cake with chocolate icing (chocolate has been a weakness for me for a looong time). As I sat there, I was thinking… if there is anything that is gonna really get me… it will be watching someone eat this chocolate cake…. and to my surprise… it had no effect on me whatsoever… it was just something they were eating… I had no pity party of “poor little me can’t have any”, I had no desire to ask for a bite… it didn’t bother me at all… which kinda (to be honest) scared me a little. I have never been to a point such as this….to where I can watch someone else eat something and not want at least a bite. Is this normal??? I did this a couple of weeks ago with bread-sticks… but didn’t think too much about it since bread is not really a food that bothers me. But… chocolate???? Am I ok? Is this the new “norm”???? I surely hope so. LOL

Before I ruined my fast by eating empty calories I came here to check up on you guys, but sounds like those of us who are fasting today aren’t doing what I was contemplating so I won’t either 🙂 You guys are too good! And I echo everyone who loves this plan bc of the flexibility and our choices. Like you Joybee 64, the fastest way to get me to do something is to tell me not to. I’m all about making my own choices so this plan totally works for me too!

Thanks everyone for posting. It really helps me stay on focus with this! I am going to get through this fast without cheating now.

Hi Joybee,

Your episode with the chocolate cake does happen to a lot of people after doing 5:2. Im not sure if you develop a knew disciplined life style or your body doesn’t scream for sugar like it used to, but it is something that happens. If it is my fast day I can comfortably watch people eat without a problem. I’ll even cook for the family and not eat anything. I think a lot of our eating is a result of habit rather than because we are hungry. Its scary how little we actually need to eat to maintain a constant weight.

I really think so much of what we eat IS due to habit. I realized a couple of years back that I wasn’t tempted by food that used to torment me. Over the years of different ways of eating, I formed new habits that stuck here and there, I used to get fries and dip them in a frosty. The girl at the cold stone creamery would ask “Your Usual?” I just HAD to have a snickers when going through the grocery line or get a donut and eat it before I got home where my family would see me.

It has been so long since I have eaten like that and it feels great. But I do think it is new habits that we practice, and then we feel better, and then we keep following through. I certainly am not perfect. But I am glad that I remembered all of this from my past. It was v e r y gradual. I know I can continue to form new habits if I choose. One of my goals is to not feel controlled by food anymore. The freedom of this way of eating allows me to not feel deprived so I can keep working in that direction.

Thanks for your input bigbooty. That makes me feel better, knowing this is something that can happen after being on the 5:2 for a while. I am glad (very happy) and relieved that I was able to watch that cake disappear and it not bother me at all.

Yes, catusrose, I think we have programmed ourselves into habits that were unhealthy…so therefore, we should be able to program in new habits. Food was my comfort….my friend.. it doesn’t talk back, always there for me….etc. Also, I have discovered that most of my obsession with food has been junk food (chips, cookies, donuts, ice cream, candy, crackers, etc) and fast food (McD’s, Hardee’s, KFC, etc) and it rooted from the fact that I had never had these types of foods at my disposal until my early 30’s. I grew up in the country on a farm and we were poor people. Never went hungry, but there was no junk nor fast food. Even in my first marriage, we lived on a farm, raised a huge garden, had our own beef, pork to slaughter, cows for milk and butter, chickens, etc. So, we didn’t do fast food nor junk either. Sooooo…. when it became available to me, I was obsessed with it and really liked it. This has been hard for me to overcome, but I am getting there. With my second marriage, eating out was a social thing and I so enjoyed that. My second husband passed away (soon be 9 years) and after the first year anniversary of his death, I turned to food for comfort. That also has been hard to get away from. But this plan is working for me and I am thankful to have found it and this forum where can share and be with others with the same problems. Thanks everyone!!

I’m almost at the point where I’m afraid to eat junk food because I swear I can feel my stomach expanding as I’m eating it. That hasn’t stopped me (yet) from imbibing on weekends, but I feel so fat and filled with regret on Mondays.

A typical weekend for me:

Sunday – “I’m extremely careful what I eat during the week so one day of eating what I want won’t hurt.”

Monday – “Oh boy, I ate way too much yesterday. I won’t do that again next week.”

Next Sunday – repeat cycle

Bronx

Hi all,
    I’ve been doing the Every Other Day (Alternate Day) fast for about a week now and have to say that I am having better overall results than with 5:2. I think I need the structure of more fast days always coming up. All those consecutive 5:2 feed days are apparently too much temptation for me!

This weekend I did gain a pound after a day of overindulging but quickly got back on track (which seems easier to do when there is always another fast day coming up) and now I’m down about three pounds. Just a couple more pounds to go for my target weight.

Once I reach target I don’t think I’ll go into maintenance mode just then becomes I have some events coming up that could easily throw me way off track. If all goes well, I’ll be on EOD through early or mid August and then switch to maintenance, which with EOD would be 1,000 calorie days three days a week, normal healthy eating on the other days.

Another side benefit of EOD for me is that it seems easier for me to make healthier choices on feed days — I think because the days run so close to fast days. I generally don’t think of too much of a difference between my 500-cal dinner on fast days and my feed day lunch and dinner, though I allow more wiggle room on feed days, as along as portions are appropriate and choices are generally healthy. When I can’t resist an unhealthy treat on feed days I do look at calories and/or portion size — which works well, except for with trigger treats, where I really need to be careful, that’s what got me in trouble a few days ago!

I should note too that I used to have oatmeal in the morning on fast days and then a 250 calorie dinner but I (like many others) am finding it much easier (no cravings) to have nothing but liquids (decaf coffee, tea, water, seltzer water)until dinner and the 500 calorie meal gives me more options in terms of what to have for dinner. Not having to make/pack a daily lunch for work has simplified things as well! Just two days a week now, with salads for lunch as an easy go-to.

Good luck everyone. I think I’m another example about how folks should play around with what works for them. I started 5:2 in May and am learning as I go about what works for me.

Bronx — I’m with you, I totally splurge on Sunday’s and regret it in Monday. I did 5:2 solid for two weeks, the third week I ate pizza and got sick, had a burger and got suck, then ate fried chicken and got sick. I realized that my body is like “what the hell are you doing to me!” I’m going to do 4:3 for a month so my body can teach me what it needs. Not my brain telling me what it wants.

Cactus rose and Joybee64 I appreciate your transparency about old habits. This week I went back to a couple, having a sundae after a perfectly satisfying lunch. I had to drive out by myself to get it. Next day I was thinking of something else I wanted after lunch. I thought twice as I recognized it for what it was having read your posts. I resisted. thank you…

Hello, everyone! I hope I’m not TOOOOO late for replying to this forum. I hope everyone is doing well in this fine weather. I really don’t know what to say, since I’m new to this diet and website. Um…let’s see…my name is Alexandria. I’m almost 18, I’m from New Jersey, USA, my first attempt of the ADF plan was Monday, but I screwed that up at around 3pm and gave in to my foodie instincts. I gave it another go on Tuesday, and came closer to 500 cal, and on Wednesday, I successfully went through a 36-hour 500-cal fast. Next Monday, I’m going to start exercising again with Gamma T25, P90X3, and 2 hours of my school’s tennis practice. I heard it’s supposed to be beneficial, but I was wondering if anyone else here tried any similar workouts during a fasted state. Oh, I guess I should add that my heaviest weight was about 142 lbs and now I’m down to 133, but after 2 days of fasting, I’m down to 131-130. My goal is to reach 125-128 by September 8th, while getting a bit toned. So…yeah…hi…here I am…a noobie to fasting.

Welcome VulcanCommander/aka Alexandria,

Congrats on your weight loss so far! I am fairly new here as well — a few months.

I’m happy to hear of someone else on this thread doing ADF. I’ve been on it about 1.5 weeks and really like it a lot. It is working much better for me than 5-2, with unexpected bonuses such as seeing positive changes in my metabolism (although some of this may be carryover from two previous months with fasting days under 5:2, don’t know).

In terms of exercising, I just do about 10 minutes of weights every morning and either walk 20 minutes during lunch time or go to the gym after work and hop on the treadmill 30-40 minutes Mondays-Fridays. It’s not a lot but I find it to be something I can sustain. If I get too ambitious on the exercise front I might not keep it up.

Looking forward to your posts on how ADF is working for you.

Update: Two weeks in…

No weight loss this week, but maintained the 4 pound loss from the first week so total loss is 4 pounds.

Measurements:
    Waist: lost 1 inch
    Hips: lost 1/2 inch
    Thighs: lost 1/4 inch
    Calf: lost 1/2 inch
    Neck: lost 1 and 1/2 inch

Will be measuring and weighing in every week the day after the second fasting day of the week.

Hope all of you are having a lovely start to your week.

There is a lot of research out there about the benefits of exercising in the fasted state. My only caution is that you be sure to use the proper level activity for your TDEE if you are going to really up your exercise routine so you don’t undereat consistently, which would lead to a drop in metabolism, and less effective weight loss. Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

Update:
    So I did my p90x3 and t25 today for about an hour and it was great. I just felt a little hungry 20 minutes afterwards but it was fine. 🙂
    It’s great to hear about your maintenance btw!

UGHHH the DNC is tonight and I am going to have to fight the urge to eat my sadness and dissapointment. I could barely watch the RNC. Everything in this country is going to shit and I’m stressed as hell. And I can’t escape to Britain bc Brexit. Greeaaaattttt .

Vulcan Commander…I feel your pain!

Well, I brought my old scale home so I could compare it to new scale and Yahoo!! They weighed the same! So I can now take my old scale back to mtns. and continue using the new scale here at home and rest assured they’re the same weight. And, best of all, they both showed a 1 lb. loss for last week! I love this weigh 🙂 of eating! I totally didn’t want to fast yesterday, but I did anyway and ended up “treating” myself to 4 pickles when I thought I’d have to resort to eating my arm. I’m so glad I stuck it out because it paid off during my scale test this AM. Plus it encouraged me to stay the course today and watch calorie limits. pat pat pat 🙂

Congrats crowmama on staying the course and losing too!!

I have sorta set my fast days on Monday and Thursdays…which yesterday being a fast day…which I call FD500… sounds like a race huh? 🙂 Well, last Friday was my birthday…so this friend calls yesterday and says, lets go out and eat for your birthday since we didn’t get to go last week.. I am thinking, ok, I can do this. Where oh where do we wind up eating??? Chinese restaurant… who ever heard of eating baked white fish, having a salad and a boiled egg and some cooked cabbage to eat at Chinese? Well, you have now. Because that is exactly what I had. I was pleased at the end of the meal with my choices and knowing I had stayed my course too! And even more surprisingly, I was full and satisfied with my choices. I didn’t have a pity party and I didn’t feel cheated… I was OK!!

Then today, my neighbor calls and says lets do lunch. My treat for your birthday… here we go again….this time went to Pizza Plus…where I had a big salad and ate the topping off a couple pieces of pizza (no crust).

Two down…two to go… this Saturday will be what my sisters and I call “girls day out” for birthday celebration of eating and shopping. And then on Sunday, I am invited to go to my oldest son’s house, where he will either be cooking (and he is a great cook) or we will be going out to eat. My birthday has lasted all week and surrounded with food…..Talk about a challenging week… this is it! Can I do it?? Yes, I believe I can.

And lucky you for being so loved to have friends and family celebrating your special day all week long with you! Happy Birthday from a fellow faster. It’s so cool that you found a way to enjoy their company, eat with them and enjoy yourself that it really is kind of like getting your cake and eating it too! 🙂

Congratulations crowmama!!
    Joybee64, I loveeee Chinese food but it’s so hard to find healthy choices at our local place. You’re so good at taking on the challenges that fasting presents. I’m still trying to gain some..um…self restraint with food XD
    Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK!!

Happy Birthday week Joybee!

Hello,
    I’m brand new to this forum. I’m only in my 2nd week of fasting but am seeing weight loss results and improvements in pesky eczema which has been a major problem for the past 5 years.

I’m amazed at how good I feel when I do fast. I’ll be looking for restaurant ideas as I’m visiting family out-of-state next month.

Happy to be a part of this forum!!

Hi Zema,

Welcome. Wow that is way exciting about weight loss and with the eczema issue. I am at 2 1/2 weeks and have seen 5 pound loss and inches also already. Feeling good and not deprived on my NF days.

I can’t offer any advice about the eating out, I don’t really fast when I’m on holiday and that’s really the only time I am out of town. I am sure there will be great ideas forthcoming from others though.

Hey Zema! *waves from through the screen*
    I’m already losing track, but I’m around 2.5 weeks as well! I’ve lose about 3 lbs so far, so your 5 lbs seem pretty awesome! I love fasting as a way of life because it comes with so many health benefits, not JUST weight loss. In your case, improvements in your eczema is another plus!
    It’s nice to meet you by the way.

I hope everyone is doin well! I want to try to lose another 5 lbs by September 8th to bring my weight down to 125. I don’t want to push myself or my body TOO hard, so I came up with this 30-day plan combining exercising for an hour (doubling up my t25 videos), ADF, and doing one or two 24 hour water fasts each week. After doing a hell of a lot of researching, I’ve come to the studied conclusion that water fasting DOES come with health benefits and is a healthy and safe way to detox your body as long as it doesn’t go over 10 straight days. Hopefully, this and healthy eating with help me get down to my desired weight before Autumn starts. Has anyone here had any experience with water fasting?

Hey everybody!

I’m just checking in so that we keep this thread up on the first page. I responded to Zemagirl on another thread. I think. Congrats, crowmama, on your loss! And Happy birthday week to you, Joybee! Wishing everyone a good week ahead. We will all get there. It’s only a matter of time.

Hey everyone! Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had a great week. I survived all my eating out and made good choices everywhere and stayed with my plan. Actually, I did a 4:3 week instead of my usual 5:2.

Since my last update on weight, I have lost another 4 pounds, making me a total of 39 gone!! I am feeling so much better. Sleeping better at night too. My goal is to get enough weight off to be able to get rid of that oxygen at night. (I can’t tolerate CPAP machine and because my oxygen level drops below 88% a bunch of times at night, my doctor has me on just oxygen at night to help with that).
    Good luck everyone and keep on keeping on with your plans. We can do this!!

Congrats on your loss, Joybee64! It sounds like you made great choices this past week. You can’t do any better than that! Let’s all make this next week one we can be proud of. Good luck!

Congrats Bee! I’m glad to hear about your additional weight loss! It motivates me to stick to fasting. I finished my first 36 hour water fast this morning and it. Felt. Great. I had a few bites to eat since then, so I’m going to do it again tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow might just be a 24 hour fast so it doesn’t take a toll on me.

Hey there! I’m actually from Canada but our time-zones match, more or less, haha!
    So yeah, I’m glad to have read your stories. Pretty cool to find out that I wasn’t the only one. I used to be overweight almost all my life. I had tried dieting and joined for a while. That didn’t really work out. Then I went ahead and tried weight loss therapy. That too wasn’t effective. Finally a friend and I decided to join this weight loss program here in Toronto. Though there weren’t immediate results, I was finally able to lose the desired amount of weight and get to my goal target! 🙂
    It’s a great feeling when you finally achieve something after putting your mind and soul into it. 🙂

Hi Marien! Congrats on reaching your goal target!
    Curious… why didn’t your past dieting work? why did this work? what’s the hardest part of this diet for you?

Woo Hoo Joy! Fantastic about the weight loss but especially how good you feel. Crossing fingers that soon the oxygen overnight will Bee gone!!

Welcome Marien.

WOW Vulcan about the water fasting. No way I could do that.

Joybee what a good birthday week for you! You are an inspiration regarding eating out carefully. Good to hear your success!
    Zemagirl..welcome. I have learned that McDonalds salads with balsamic vinegar and grilled chicken are pretty good choices. The side salad is excellent with the above dressing. Then you don’t have the choices of what to remove from the larger meal salads. Protein there can be a single beef patty or two which is good. It could hold you for quite a while. I imagine you want more interesting restaurants.

Closing tonight…. Best to you all whether feed or fast day.

Welcome to all the newbies! I’m fasting today to try and get to one of those 5 lb. milestones. I never thought I’d see 155 again, but I might by next week! I cannot believe how much better I feel when walking; seriously it’s almost revolutionary. I am breathing better, have more energy, and lost inches. I’ve even gotten back into my sz. 12’s and am looking to getting into the 10’s in another 10 lbs. or so. I also have appt. with cardiologist in September and wondering what he will say since he never says anything about my weight anyway and so far I’m 18 lbs. down from last time he saw me.

We just adopted a 12 yr. old kitty who was a consequence of a divorce; he took 2 dogs and the cat and she took the other dog and they share the kids. He told me he couldn’t deal with the cat at all b/c he was gone all the time. So now we have a kitty again! Yay! So far, so good. She needs to be doing some weight control so I have appt. with the vet next week to see what he recommends.

Have a productive TH everyone!

How sweet of you to take an older animal into your home. Many people wouldn’t have done that.

Next week is a 5 day fast week for me. I do one about every 8 weeks and don’t really look forward to them, especially days 2 and 3; they’re the worst. Getting the aspirin ready because I know I’ll get a headache on day 3.

Bronx

crowmama, all those good health related feelings are phenomenal! And your cardiologist is going to love you. Does he/she have you do the cardiac labs? Curious how they are improved from fasting.

I got to see 154 on my scale yesterday AM! 🙂

Then friends dropped in and invited us out for dinner and I (stupidly) joined them in ordering a martini and had a glass of wine too. I ordered roasted vegies for dinner so that wasn’t too bad and no dessert but the drinks completely wrecked my great start to the day. Big sigh! So today I’m re-committing to being a good girl and staying within calorie limit. I guess I celebrated my success too soon. However, the very cool thing with this plan is one can get back to it the next day and not lose too much ground. I didn’t hunker down on the fattening meals everyone else ordered or it could have been way worse, and a couple of them even had after dinner drinks, which everyone knows are crazy with calories.

Hello from southern calif I started 5:2 on 8/1/16 ive lost 3lbs as of today 8/7/16 I diet reguarly ive done 3day diet oatmeal diet smoothie diet and oatmeal water diet all temporary fixes 5:2 is doable my exercise routine is walking and ymca pool exercise my goal is 125:130lbs im 5″4 as of today im 144.2 as most middle aged,menopausal women it gets harder to loose weight however this is the first diet I feel confident I can maintain good luck on your journey on another note my husband and I were in new york last year lots of great food everywhere you turn little differnt in socal we have to drive everywhere to find the food or in the la wway the kalesmoothie

Viewing 50 posts - 1,051 through 1,100 (of 1,456 total)

You must be logged in to reply.