Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

This topic contains 1,453 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 1,456 total)

• Theo527 congratulations on you loss. This is how this eating plan works. Weight fluctuations while inches come off and even lb gained, but you have shown how it does work in the long run. Very exciting and happy to hear it! It isn’t like a diet (any I have done). Mostly I really appreciate that I am not on a “diet” where I have to concentrate every day on staying motivated. And my experience as I kept on doing it: I looked forward to a fast day.

Keep on keeping on…wonderful to learn successes are happening. Right now I am 3 lbs above my goal weight and struggling a lot on feed days. I want to regain discipline to eat at meals only. I reached the goal weight some time ago and have been there this month earlier.

PJ, just 3 pounds above goal. You got this. You’ll find the trick, then let us know. It’s so much about trial and trial isn’t it, till you figure out what works for you.

Since this difficult hormone hungry week, I’ve realized that it’s really important to fill my up days with super high nutrition, dense nutritional foods and looooots of fiber, plus be proactive about better sleep n meditation. I’m going to try and get ahead of it next month. Already marked my calendar!!!

But for now, sweet sweet hormone shift!!!! I can tell already the hunger has changed and I am going to have my first successful full day fast in a week. It’s 3:20pm here in Austin and it’s just that time of day when I can tell, “I got this” . Yeeehaaaw!

I’ve got my radio show tomorrow so I’m happy to be in a better place, feel grounded and in control again…well, you know what I mean…as in control as a surfer is on a big wave taking her for a ride. 🏄

I think I ate my weight in pistachio nuts today.

Slimnhealthy… Thank you for the encouragement. I believe you’re right. I have this!

K-Lo Drink lots of water to get them through your system. That should help and then maybe you are about to do a fast day soooon to get back on track. I certainly have done similar things…a bump…in the road to health…and smaller body.

K-lo, your weight in pistachio nuts is far less than my weight in pistachio nuts. So at least there is that to be happy about! 😉
    But seriously, I’m sure you did not actually do that, and they are healthy nuts.
    Some studies are saying it takes our bodies a lot more energy to digest nuts and metabolize them than previously thought. No worries. The salt could be a problem. Drink. Plenty.

For a while I was buying Trader Joe’s shelled pistachios, until they got too expensive. I found I ate s lot more of them because I didn’t have to go through the trouble of shelling them myself. Now that I’ve switched to peanuts I buy them in the shells for the same reason.

I make peanut bread in which the recipe calls for 1 cup of unsalted peanuts, chopped. I gotta tell you that shelling 1 cup of peanuts is a chore. I know I can eat 1 cup of peanuts from a jar or can in about a minute, but it takes a lot more time to eat that many when I have to shell them myself.

I don’t know if this will help anyone else, but when I’m struggling on fast days what helps me get through it is I count down how long until I go to bed because of course once I’m in bed I won’t be eating or want to eat anything. “Only 4 hours till I go to bed; I can do that no problem.”

Bronx

I really like hearing the helps you 5:2ers give. Excellent! My weight showed up this morning as 2 lbs down. So now I am 1 lb off goal weight. I think I could do like BRONX does on fast days counts til bedtime; on my feed days I will count down how many hrs or minutes until I have the next meal to help me stave off snacking.

Today’s a small family wedding for niece. Don’t expect lots of snacking there and I don’t drink alcohol so that is helpful.

Bronx – can you post your peanut bread, I am always trying to make bread that tastes like the bakery bread, but have not found one.
    Yesterday I started a 3 day fat fast. It is easy as used to fasting, and should only ever be on for short time. Made little fat bombs and cream soup. Maybe this will kick start my loss.
    Then next week I plan to do 2 or 3 days of 24 hr fasts, keeping meals ketogenic for both fast and non fast days.

It’s amazing how a little alcohol throws your body into a tizzy isn’t it? This weekend put me up the 3 lbs I had lost previously. Had a successful fast day yesterday and I’m hoping that my weight stays the same come Friday (my weigh in day) I’m sure the extra water I’m drinking will take care of the inflated “booze gain”. I hope everyone is having a successful week!!

Hi all,
    My kids dont have any camps this week, and next week starts crazy July! the 4th, Two birthday parties to host, road trip from Austin to Lake Erie, week at the lake, week in Columbus, it’s gonna test my determination for sure…..

So we are laying very low this week and I’m cooking green soups and making salads, and juicing kale and just really focusing on feeding myself well so I go into this month “well nourished” and some weight loss might inspire more momentum also.

My son had another boy join tap class last night. Really good dancer- apparently he break dances when he is not tapping. My son was happy to have a buddy and he came out smiling ear to ear saying, ” that was a really challenging class!” It only took 91/2 years but I think we finally found his sports , Quittich and Tap…folks these kids come with their own program if you have the patience to hear them. I’m not very patient but he was loud and persistent. 😊 My mom said, ” not that there is any problem with this, but do you think he is gay?” I said, “no, but I think he is a nerd” . Which is not always easy for me and my mom to accept as we were always socially mature and had our pulse on cool. But my very big and handsome husband was a late bloomer and is definitely a lovable IT nerd, says he can relate, and that he is glad our son is living in a time when its cool to be nerdy….hmmm, ok, maybe so. I guess it’s a better time all around to be yourself. Of course he doesnt go to a big school with cut throat social media, so that helps.

I talk about this, because it seems to be my number one reason for not getting as healthy as possible…always worried about my son…my daughter, little miss sunshine, no problem. My son is the one who keeps me awake at night. Hoping that this year, my commitment to my own health, along with him kind of finding his peeps, will make for a year where health improves instead of the slow continual downhill of the last 9 years.

Fasting today. Good fast or healthy eating and movement everyone. And don’t forget what a game changer meditation can be! That’s what got me here!

Love n peace from Austin!

Northern Dawn !!!

Congratulations Grandma!!! And may I say on this forum….Holy Shit that birth was fast!

Glad you pushed her out the door!,,, I guess you never know. I would have ended up delivering my own baby! I didn’t even call anyone for hours after contractions! Haha! Well so glad for her after the first one she deserved short and sweet!!!

Hi all!

Have been taking a bit of a break from 5:2 but I miss chatting with all of you. I’m experimenting this month with eating a bit more normally because my doctor would like me to try to get more fruits and vegetables in and see how I feel and I really don’t have the discipline to do that AND fast. I hope you don’t mind me continuing to check in and see how you’re all doing–I anticipate being back to fasting soon!

Welcome back NYCFaster,
    I’ve been in a similar situation in terms of a 5:2 break, though mine was to do a 10-day smoothie cleanse to get my eating back under control. What’s funny is that during my usual fast days I felt no big push to eat around lunch time, so I continued the process of just eating (doing the green smoothie) in the morning and at dinner time, like on the 5:2 program. I also have been refraining from any snacking (raw veggies are allowed) in between the smoothies, because I want to continue to train myself to not snack, as I do when on 5:2.

I am going to return to 5:2 on Sunday. My fast days are Mondays and Thursdays but given the July Fourth holiday and a family BBQ, am moving the fast day up to Sunday.

Things are going well for me now. Clothes are no longer tight and no urges for bad stuff, though the real test will be when I’m back 100 percent on 5:2 in a few days. But given that I have interrupted the bad-choices pattern developed following vacation weeks ago, I think I should be Ok.

Hope others are having a good feed or fast day!

Hi all… Doing good. Have come back to goal weight. Still tempted to get a big hunk candy bar. Have to remind myself there is no good reason to buy one. I know temptation is always a challenge. I can live without that. I don’t deny myself a dessert if eating with friends. How bad is that….not bad at all. Lovely weather in NW. Summer is a good time here. Lots of positives to distract from over eating. Good feed and fast days….

HI all,

I’ll try not to write a novel about motherhood this time. 😳

NYC, I’ve noticed that if I’ve had a few fasting fails…if I take a break and just eat really healthy, the next time I choose to fast goes better.

And lately, I just realized that my fasts were going Sooooo much easier when I was meditating. I somehow got out of the habit for a few weeks and every fast was a struggle!!! Wow. I had no idea!

I think the nervous system being over stimulated makes it much harder to fast. I’m back on the meditation, minimum one time in morning…when I can squeeze in a second before bed I do…and Shazam! I can already tell the hunger feels different and there is ease to fasting.

I’m fasting today, and with a good meditation under my belt, I’m going to go have a nice black coffee to push how far I can re-stimulate my nervous system. Lol

Pea Jay!

Hooray!,, treat yourself to a new outfit instead of hunk of sugar!

Greetings from the CO Rockies where it’s cold and drizzly. I have a ton of things to get done before the 4th so I don’t really mind the weather keeping me indoors and focused on getting house cleaned and some light food prep.

I think it’s really cool Slimnhealthy that your son is going after his passion. Our grandson is a self-professed “nerd”. He’s been straight A’s and advanced placement classes since the beginning, never missed an honor role and is happiest reading about Starwars or Legos. He’s here in the mountains with us and we’re having a ball talking about everything from A-Z. He’s very good company and one of the kindest, most adorable humans I know. He’s not gay, but I wouldn’t care if he was. He loves to tutor younger kids with math and was one of the youngest kids selected to be a kind of docent for our museum of Natural History’s program for “special” kids. He’s going to be 16 this October; in Chinese astrology he’s a Dragon, considered to be one of the most fortuitous and lucky animals of their 12 astrological animals. He’s a miracle baby as our daughter and her H weren’t able to conceive for 5+ yrs. So he’s extra special to me as he and his little sister (5 yrs. his junior) will be the only grands we have. You bet we’re spoiling them! With love and pleasure. He has a website reviewing Legos and he told me yesterday that he wants to be a Lego designer.

Our nephew wanted to dance when his older sister took lessons so he and his dad both joined a class and were in recitals together. If I may be so bold, I think it’s really cool that he’s always marched to his own drummer, but maybe I think so b/c I had to too. It wasn’t “accepted” for girls to be artists back in the mid-60’s when I decided that was all I was really good for. He recently told his parents he’s gay. We all knew he was for years but it took him some time to tell his parents. It was his band we came up here for last weekend. It was loads of fun, H’s brothers were all in town and we had a big family party here.

Now another party for the fourth with 18 invited, but who knows how many will drop in and actually show up.

You all probably noticed how I’ve been avoiding talking about the diet. I’ve been just maintaining, nothing gained, nothing lost either. I came on today to get inspiration, which I always find so I’m watching it today. I’ve planned some relatively low cal meals for those of us who are watching our weight (all of us but the kids) and my game plan is to stay the course and not gain. Wish me luck b/c this group drinks and we’re making white Sangria and serving some home brewed beers one of the kids’ friends are bringing.

Didn’t mean for this to get so long….but then, I haven’t posted for awhile.

Wishing everyone peace this Independence day!

PS
    I brought a scale with me to leave here so now there really aren’t any excuses!

Hello everyone,

Thank you SlimnHealthy for the congrats. I’m so happy that my daughter’s labor was “short and sweet” as you put it. I have a beautiful little 8 lb 10 oz grand daughter to go with 2 other wonderful granddaughters and 1 sweet and sensitive grandson.

My son, the youngest of my two children, was also the one that kept me up at night. I think boys are more fragile than girls in many ways. And there is so much pressure on them to be “macho”, but then they are also suppose to be sensitive. They mature differently than girls and more slowly, socially, IMO. My son has become a wonderful husband, father and all around good man despite my worries. He was a sensitive boy who figured out how to use humor to appease the bullies. He was also lucky to grow tall and strong. But it’s his sensitivity that makes him a loving father. Your son will grow to be a good man, I have no doubts. Your grandson as well, crowmama. He’s a lucky boy to have such a doting Grandma!

NYC, WIP, PJ…I’ve struggled the last couple of weeks for various reasons, and have a slight gain (1lb) to show for it. I keep gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. But I feel ready to re-engage in this WOL, or WOE, or whatever. I’m rested and like Slim, have eaten healthy, highly nutritious foods the last couple of days. I had a good FD yesterday. I only achieved one this week, but I’ve decided to not beat myself up over it. For some reason I have to keep reminding myself that I’m not in a race to a time line, nor am I in a competition with anyone; a bad day here or there really means nothing in the big picture.

Good luck everybody. I love reading about your lives, your families, your struggles and victories!

Crow mama,
    Thank you so much for sharing about your grandson and nephew. It made me feel really nice to hear about boys who have carved different paths and are so loved and appreciated. ❤️ Good luck on the party and eating healthy! I’m trying for the same here in Austin over the weekend. I’ll send you some warmth!

northernD

Thank you also for giving me a visual of a sensitive boy growing to be a good father. (Happy tears).

I needed you gals today. Thanks!

Thanks NorthernDawn and SlimnHealthy. I needed you guys today too! It will be a good reminder to remain focused and not over do. Moderation will be my mantra this weekend…….I needed to remind myself.:-)

SlimnHealthy, crowmama,

Glad to give you that visual. It is a true one. Embrace it. You both know in your hearts the nature of the boys you love, and they are people that make the world a better place. What a blessing for you both that they come from you! Let us hope and pray that they will be the ones who can make a difference in the world going forward!

And also, we can all do this if we want. If you want to fast 2 days, you can. If you want to fast 3 days, you can. One day, that’s okay, too.
    It really is up to whatever you want. If you do one day in a week, as I have just done, it’s not the end of “the diet”, or the world. It just slows down my progress. That’s all. Somehow, thinking of it this way helps me to re-engage in a serious manner. I guess i’ve taken the pressure off myself. So, onward and downward, as they are apt to say on this site.

Back in town now and it’s brutally hot, upper 90’s. Not my thing. Got on the scale first thing and was SO happy to weigh exactly what I did before leaving. So nothing lost, but nothing gained either. I tried to keep a lid on it and stick to vegies and glasses of wine instead of bottles 🙂 and did pretty good to not gain, unless, of course, the new scale I bought will register the first weight I put on it. Hmmm, maybe I’ll have H get on it and see if it’s close to what he thinks he weighs, since he hasn’t had to ever be concerned about his weight. Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday. After the 4th summer seems to blaze by here and just be a blur by Labor day.
    Back on point and will begin another fast on Thursday.
    How’s the new granddaughter NorthernDawn?

Back from 5 days break at our house in upstate NY. The scale there is notoriously one point lighter than home, although other family members refuse to concede that point. Thankfully, I know the truth and was able to stay ‘flat’ for the brief holiday. GOt in some good swimming and threw in a PIlates DVD for a workout.

On our travel day home, I fasted. A couple of slices of cheese before we left, and then dinner….grilled salmon and green leafies.

Today, a fried egg on a tortilla and just had a small handful of cashews. I may talk a walk at lunch today, though it’s in the low 90s in NYC.

Hey there!! I’m considering another go at the 5:2. I first tried when my son was a few months old and I didnt stick to it. I find it verrry difficult to not eat all day! So that leads me to a question I have for people with success stories. WHAT are you eating on fast days? I have over 100lbs to lose but and looking for use the 5:2 just as a jump start

Hello from Arizona!

I did JUDDD a few years ago and felt great. Couldn’t do three days a week though and by then I had serious diet fatigue from 30+ years of dieting. So let myself do a reset. Gained some weight but also peaceful towards food which was a huge change for me. Ready to start again but I think 5:2 will fit better into my life. Just got the book a couple of days ago, and joined this forum. I have been looking around and thinking it would be nice to connect with some people in my time zones and then there you all were!

Benny, I eat as late into the day as possible, filling up on fluids like coffee, water, tea. One teaspoon of coconut oil in one cup of coffee = 40 cals and keeps hunger at bay. Once I start eating (aiming for 2ish), mostly protein as it really is great for satiety and keeps blood sugar level. Protein snacks: egg salad or tuna salad either one mixed with cottage cheese instead of mayo. Greek yogurt. Protein drinks/ protein powder smoothies. Frozen veggies with chopped lunch meat, heated together like a casserole. I’m trying in general to make this fasting way of life easier for me, so I like quick and easy meals, no in depth recipes on fasting day.

Any other quick and easy higher protein snack ideas out there?

And one other comment about “lapses”. I’ve read it’s recommended to take a break from weight training/ dieting etc about every two months. I think I’m going to try that this go around to minimize diet fatigue if possible. I want this to be something I can do for a lifetime, and I don’t want it to be a slog, I want to enjoy it and all the benefits as much as possible.

Hello everyone!

My new granddaughter is doing great, thanks for asking crowmama!

How were those white sangrias? Boy does that sound good today! It’s in the upper 80’s and so muggy again today. I had to shorten my walk this morning as I just couldn’t tolerate it more than half hour. I had a good FD yesterday, and I still hadn’t eaten (I don’t eat until around noon the day after a FD). I think I didn’t drink enough water before heading out for my walk.

Storms last night here in Minnesota but it didn’t help the humidity very much. More due overnight and probably tomorrow evening.

Hi Benny1120! Good luck to you! I doubt I could have started 5:2 with a baby to take care of, so don’t feel badly for not being able to do it then. Someone pointed out to me that we overeat and graze when we are tired because our bodies are trying to find some energy to keep us going. Having a months old baby to care for is a sure way to have days of being exhausted! You can ease into it this time. I’m sure you can do it!

I think the advice that cactusrose (Hello and welcome!!) gave you is very good. I also drink plenty of liquids most of my FDs and try to hold off eating for as late as possible in the day. Once I start eating I tend to keep at it. I try to have my FD meal around 5-6:30 pm because that fits our schedule, and I don’t allow myself too much after my meal, maybe a plum or some almonds or berries with a bit of yogurt before 7pm. I think it helps me sleep. But very strictly nothing again until noonish the next day.

The other thing that helps me have successful fast days is to keep my calories under TDEE the day before a fast, and to eat mainly proteins and fats, with some veggies but no processed or sugary carbs. If I do have sweets, grains, or alcohol, or even too much fruit, than I am extremely hungry all day of my FDs.

And I learned not to beat myself up for an unsuccessful fast day. If I go over by too much I don’t give up entirely, I try to keep it reasonably low, and then try again the next day. Or one that suits me better.

Good luck everyone!

Welcome cactusrose! It seems quiet around here on the weekends, but this is the first Sunday I’ve been in town to check in.

I had to post this: I have done something I haven’t been able to do since open heart surgery in 2006; I am below 160 as of weigh in today!! I am hoping it isn’t a glitch in the new scale I recently bought, false number due to water weight, false number due to wishful thinking:-) or ??? Whatever it is, I’m not going to let it slip away. I’m running with it and being happy about finally seeing it!

I can’t believe how easy this diet works for me. Well, maybe easy is too big of a word since it hasn’t been so much easy as doable and I’ve never ever dieted where I saw steady results but didn’t feel deprived or like I had to work extra hard and watch everything I put into my mouth. The only thing different I’ve done with 5/2 lately was I was having a mentally hard time last week and on M because of the holiday I decided to fast on T since it was a travel day, then TH I was going to do it again; started off okay but got off track later in the day, so kept calories to a minimum, not the 500 recommended however. Friday we went to a party and I drank ice water all night, due in part to how hot it was. Since then, I’ve made concentrated effort to be aware of every single thing I ate, drank minimum 8 ozs. water before each meal and upped my miles walking each day. That part hasn’t been too bad since our little Norwich Terrier can’t take the heat so we have to walk him really early in the morning (like before 6AM) and I figure I’m still half asleep when we take off and by the time I wake up I feel G-R-E-A-T. It’s going to be 99 degrees today so I’m going to the basement (where it’s cold with the AC on) and organizing one of my messes to open up and reclaim some space down there.

K-lo did you take your knitting? Quick aside, I discovered a mistake about 1/2 way down on the 2nd sock I’m knitting for grandson. So I ripped it back to error and now doing it again. grrrrr

Hope you all are staying cool, doing good and staying out of harm’s way. I can’t wait to hear how everyone is doing!

P.S. Our nephew went up against 300 local bands to audition to open up for Ziggy Marley who’s playing a big 3 day festival in Loveland and he WON the audition!! We’re all super excited. H & I are kind of out of concerts for entertainment these days, mainly b/c they start so late, but we’ll stay up for this one! Thanks for letting me “toot my horn” for him 🙂

Thank you all for the welcome! It’s great to be here, I’m looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.

Crowmama I am celebrating with you!!!! That is so fantastic about your weigh in! Think of all the benefits too from this WOE besides weight loss. This is going to keep your arteries clean so no more heart surgery for you!! And woohoo for your nephew!!

Today is my official restart date. I had surgery about three weeks ago, I’m going back to work on Tuesday so I thought it was time to start on the fasting again. When I did JUDDD, I just couldn’t do the 500 calories because it was every other day and that got so old so fast! ( would do 800 and still lost weight! but serious diet fatigue.) I think the 500 cals now only two days a week will be do-able. I can wrap my head around that concept mentally. I am looking forward to feeling more comfortable in my skin again. I really miss that!

I’m going to do my fasting days in general on days I work. If I keep busy I forget about eating and the day passes more quickly. Today I am home but hubby at work, so no worries about fixing meals. Going to start walking again when I can get back to my usual twelve hour shifts at work and feel normal level of energy again. Have to wait another 3 weeks to get back to running and weight training.

I am going to weigh in once a week and also track measurements which really helps me stay motivated, the scale is not always so kind. I measure chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf, upper arm and neck.

NorthernDawn, interesting your observations about the day before your fasting days. I am going to start paying more attention to that in my own eating habits. Thanks for the insight.

Hope all of you have a fabulous week!

Yay!! I’m in Az too. On week 2 of my 5:2. Good luck!

Hi everyone!! I’m from Arizona and on my second week of 5:2. I’m you’re typical 35 year old mother that has fluctuated 15-25lbs over the last 10 years while pushing out three children. I’m finding this 5:2 easier than I thought so far and actually may take it up a notch to 4:3. I have done 2 eggs for breakfast and a protein and spinach for both lunch and dinner on my fast days. I also drink lots of coffee, cinnamon tea, and a gallon of water a day. Downfall, I pee every hour. Upside to that, the water intake has made my skin look amazing. Today was my first real struggle and I ate a pack of donuts :(. I chose sat and mon as my fast days as I work 3-12 hour shifts so I’m sitting at a desk those days and not burning a whole lot off calories. I will increase my workouts this week as my kids will be back in schooool and I’ll have a little bit of mommy time. Good luck to everyone as happy fasting!!

Crowmama,

As a guitar player (albeit a lousy one) I share your excitement for your nephew’s victory. You’ll have to let us know all about his performance. I only know one Ziggy Marley song, Tomorrow People, but I’m a fan of his father and have a couple of his CDs on my Ipod.

Mamacat,

I want to wish you great success with your fasting. I know it’s good to drink a lot of water, but during my last physical in March my doctor said my sodium level was low and it could be from drinking too much water. He told me to back off drinking so much. You know what they say about too much of a good thing.

Any other back yard vegetable gardeners here besides me? The annual zucchini flood has begun. So far I’ve eaten them steamed, boiled and raw, given some away and today I’m making zucchini bread just to use some up. I’ll also shred and freeze a few to have this Winter. Got my first ripe cherry tomatoes today too but since it’s a fast day the taste test will have to wait till tomorrow. I did find some bites taken out a few green full size ones which is always disheartening; the critters found my tomato garden again this year and now there’s no stopping them. The neighborhood cats aren’t doing their job.

Bronx

Thanks for the support Bronx! I’ll let you know when it’s happening and maybe you could even pull it up online 🙂

Love your name Mamacat! This is first time in my life I haven’t had a kitty and am not sure how much longer I can last. You can do this and smart you are for tackling the extra lbs. now. It’s so much easier than doing it during menopause. I find this to be the easiest “diet” I’ve ever been on and if you work it, you will find success! It is so forgiving and doable for me and I know it’s working for many many others.

I got on the scale this AM and it said I’d lost another lb. WOW! It encourages me to be “good” but since it’s a new scale and digital I’m kind of worried about trusting it. My old one went to the mtns. so I’m looking forward to weighing myself next time we go up, so I’m also working on not gaining anything just in case the scale here is right. At least I’ll know the difference between them if I don’t gain anything.

Have a great day everyone!!

Benny1120– I do a bunch of water when I wake up with my coffee, then 2 hard boiled eggs sometime in the morning, for mid day I do a spinach salad with salt and pepper with some lemon and maybe some chicken. The for dinner I do another spinach salad with a different protein like fish. My proteins are very small, so I do get very hungry, but I drink lots of tea in the evening to help. I’m going to change up my veggies this week and do a sautee since I’m getting sick of spinach.
    Crowmama- my name is Catrina but got the nickname Mamacat from coworkers years ago when I was pregnant. It sticks around since I’m an animal lover and a mama to many littles.

Today I experienced my first “belly issues” I fasted Saturday and Monday, then woke up this morning amdworked out. I came home and ate sweet potato hash and 2 eggs and now I have the worst belly pains! It goes to show what a bit of too much food can do. Ugh. How’s everyone else doing??

http://youtu.be/Ihhj_VSKiTs I’m sure this has been posted here before but I just finished this documentary. Very interesting.

Crowmama I totally agree this is the most doable way to get weight off and keep it off. Having said that I picked up a lb I was not expecting. I have been working out at gym and maybe my muscle is showing up weightier as I have heard it is heavier than fat. If that is the case it isn’t so bad.

Today is a fast day and decided to eat about 30 calories of an avocado and munch some lettuce. This is my snack before meal tonight. It should stick with me since avocado is fat. I have learned if I am occupied I can easily wait til evening meal to eat. So today i’m not as busy as usual. Tend to not eat as much as I am allowed when I do that.

Sometimes we will eat at McD for dinner. We have a small hamburger patty, side salad with balsamic dressing, decaf coffee. We split dressing and total about 135 with one of their creams in coffee. It is amazing how satisfying the meat and salad are. Later at home we split an apple. Just an idea. They do sell meat patties without bun.

Happy F or FD day to each…

I’m starting TODAY the 5:2 plan. Got M.M.’s book FastExercise at library and it referenced FASTDiet so I went online and found this! I have fasted before for spiritual reasons so this doesn’t scare me. Appreciate the input and encouragement on this forum. I lost 40 lbs in 2012 but 15 have crept back on and ‘this aggression will not stand’ ! I know 85% of loosing weight has to do w/what we put in our mouth. Have any of you bought the book, FastDiet? Do I need to? Tomorrow I’m starting w/the fast. Like the experience some of you have shared of what triggers hunger pains…so I’m staying away from carbs and sugar in general.

Hmmmm. Not sure how to start a topic – so I’ll post my question here — I’ve been doing 5:2 regularly since April 13 (other than a two week vacation) and I have (for the most part) consistently lost 1-1.5 pounds. This is the third month I have taken measurements and in two areas I have GONE UP an inch??????? Is that possible? I’m struggling with this today.

Hi all,
    Just a quick check in. Overall, things are going OK. Some initial success and then a few days of rebelling. I think I need a bit more structure than 5:2 provides, so I’m starting the Every Other Day diet. Just finished the book, which I don’t totally agree with but I like the general concept for weight loss and management.

It’s only day two (had a fast diet yesterday) but I’m feeling that optimism that comes with a fresh new approach! We’ll see if the additional structure will help!

The book highly recommends weighing yourself daily and tracking a two day average re the most recent days. Initially I was very unhappy with the idea but I did weigh myself this morning and am now I’m thinking it might be the secret to staying on track — that you’ll naturally adjust your food intake when/if you start to see weight creeping up. But, again, we shall see.

Hey all,

WIP, i do every other day…at least until i get to maintenance. I found cooking for children 3x a day, i just couldnt keep my fasts well or my NFD well without more practice. 😊

👍✌🏽️

Oh
    WIP, im curious what you didnt agree with. Just wondering if i had similar feel? Its been a long time so i don’t recall anything.

Rlw, how do your clothes fit. I find that i’m not that accurate with the tape

Things may slide down as you lose. Lay flat on the bed n remeasure.

SlimnHealthy,
    I’d be interested in hearing more about your experience, tips with EOD.

My main concern about the book is the emphasis on eating whatever you want, with little regard for at least attempting a healthy diet approach, instead she encourages eating frozen entrees, pepperoni pizza, using bottled ingredients, etc., which is fine at times, but should not be the norm in my opinion. There are a few asides here and therein the book — through testimonials — about healthy eating but that’s not her mantra, which seems to be, Eat whatever you want, don’t be shy about it, the research supports it.

The other issue is her insistence that you can eat as much as you want of whatever you want on feed days and all will be well because the diet will alter your metabolism or shrink or stomach or whatever and leave you wanting to eat less. Even if that is true, for the sake of argument, the emotional reasons for overeating can quickly override such changes. That’s why I think the real secret is the daily weigh in, I can see how that will keep you in check as long as you continue to do it.

All that said, I do like the concept of a day on and day off since I need that structure, and I like the maintenance plan of 1,000 calorie days on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays after you reach your target goal, but I will rely on my own common sense about what to eat on feed and fast days and how much of it to have a healthy diet and desired weight.

WIP,

oooooh!!!

That’s the young new gal version!

I read the original book on the original research by Dr James Johnson MD years ago and then reread it recently. I’ve never read her book. Dr Johnson, basically says what M. Mosley says: figure out how to fast, be sensible on your no fast day but let yourself feel normal and as you get better at fasting, get better at eating too. He did say that in the beginning he was “treating” himself on junk bc he kinda felt he deserved it, but over time he got better at eating healthier.

Anywoo, let’s see. Advice? Um, I think the protein shakes literally make or break my fasting days on certain times of the month when I’m hungrier or I just don’t have the wear with all to count calories….also, it kind of helps me focus on fruits n veg more on eating days instead of saying (well I had that on my fast so today I should have pizza)… But that’s me…not sure it pertains to anyone else.

Also, I figured out the hard way that successful fasting days were all about my nervous system- when I meditate regularly, fasting is soooooo much easier.

I always plan out my first meal to break a fast, and it has to be really nutrient dense and lower in calories…then I seem to make better choices for the rest of my NFD.

I’m dealing with an injury and no exercise so I’m not losing like some might, but I’m happy with how it is going. And I’m thinking of the long game…every fast is a practice on how to fast, every NFD is a practice on how to eat…I’m not in a hurry…this is about long term health and slow improvements in weight that stay off forever.

What comes off fast can go back on fast…if I just tweak it slowly, it comes off slowly but stays off…how many times have we lost and gained? Why are we in a hurry when we know that there is no other single, food, lifestyle, exercise etc, that shows greater health benefits over long term? I say, slow n steady. So my NFD are comfortable but healthy as possible…lots of high nutrition, but I don’t worry about calories being so low that I lose weight fast. I’m gonna live so long, I got plenty of time! Lol

So that’s me, for what it’s worth.

SlimnHealthy,
    Thanks so much. I especially like your mantra “Every fast is a practice on how to fast, every NFD is a practice on how to eat.” May have to steal that!

Sure… But if I knew I would be quoted I would’ve cleaned it up a bit. ✌🏼️

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 1,456 total)

You must be logged in to reply.