Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

This topic contains 1,453 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,456 total)

• That sounds excellent! Recipe??

abitunGraceful….

Ingredients —
    4-5 chicken thighs

coconut oil
    4-5 cloves garlic
    1 inch cube of ginger
    1 T soy
    1 t fish sauce
    1-2 cups Kimchi
    1 pack of soba noodles
    salt pepper.

Before I head out the door in the morning, I throw a package of frozen chicken thighs in the slow cooker (do not add water). When I get home, I shred the meat and strain and keep the cooking broth for later.

Boil the soba noodles.

Mince the garlic and ginger, and saute in large saute pan in coconut oil (careful not to burn the garlic). Add soy and fish sauce, shredded chicken and kimchi. When soba noodles are done, drain and throw them in with the leftover chicken broth. Heat through and serve.

Okay that sounds fantastic. I will definitely be trying that soon, thanks!

Hi and welcome to all the new people! Also giggling about the mid- west comment as I’m from Chicago (live in CA now) and my P’s are from Oklahoma and they tend to run big there!!!

K-Lo the recipe sounds amazing- love the crock pot idea- do you season them or put them in plain?

I am trying desperately to get into the 120’s– I’m stuck at mid 130’s for a few weeks now but my body shape is changing so I’m not totally freaking out yet.

FD seem to be getting so much easier than in the early days- no more headaches and no more insomnia.

My mom is in town for the next few months and I am a major social eater— nervous that I will over eat way too much– trying to remember to eat mindfully- not just stuff my face b/c it feels good at that moment.

Staying strong!!
    CaliB

CaliB, I don’t bother seasoning the chicken while in the crock pot. They get plenty later on.

I loooove crock pots. When children were still young, I used the big one. Now I found the crock pot with two small pots. My husband is vegetarian, but I love my meat. It is so easy to set up in the morning meat for me and beans for him, and come home that greets you with fresh diner. And the smell!!! Chop some salad, poor some wine, and everything ready! Wonderful!
    And enough leftovers for the next day lunch. πŸ™‚

Hey all — I too love crockpot cooking! Look for all kinds of recipes …especially in the winter. A very simple and SO TASTY one that I will share is this:

Crockpot Salsa Chicken
    4-5 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 medium size jar of your favorite salsa

Dump both in crockpot – low for 6 hrs or high for 4 hours. Take chicken out and shred — return to crock pot and mix well with juices in bottom. Leave on warm until ready to serve.

This freezes extremely well too — I freeze it regularly. If you use frozen chicken breasts to make it you may notice it is a little too “wet” — you can drain some of the liquid before returning the chicken to the crockpot OR when you put the chicken back in leave the lid partially off and it will “dry” up some.

**tip – some of you may already know this – but it you have a lot of chicken to shred you can take it out in chunks and put it in your mixer bowl and turn your mixer on low – if you’ve never done this give it a try. I couldn’t believe it would work that well – makes “shredding” chicken a breeze!!**

Amazingly tasty and SO EASY. I make this monthly (sometimes weekly) and we use it in anything from homemade quesadillas, tacos, nachos, enchiladas, etc. It’s even good with just a fork! πŸ™‚

rlw66,
    MMM, my mouth is ready for some of the Salsa Chicken. But fasting today.
    Will try it soon, looks very easy. Thank you!

rtw66,
    Thanks so much for the recipe. I’m going to add that to my recipe list!

Speaking of Crockpots and salsa, here’s another:

Throw a bag of rinsed black beans and water in crockpot. Go to work.

Saute an onion in large saute pan….add jar of salsa and chili powder. Throw in beans. Mash a bit for thickening.

When at a minor boil, add eggs. Make a well and break in each egg one at a time. Cover pan and cook eggs to desired wellness.

Add grated cheddar (and cilantro if you like it) for those who can handle the calories!

K-Lo,
    Looks like my vegetarian husband will love that. He adores cilantro and parsley. Now I have my diner for tomorrow planned: beans for him, chicken for me!
    Love that forum!

Recently read somewhere n this forum about mixing yogurt with wasabi to use as dressing for fish. So unusual, but why not? Will give it a try too.

Hey there just started IF and loving it I’m from Midwest ILLINOIS. I got a very strict deadline to meet and I need all the support I can get and I will be more then happy to return the favor. πŸ™‚

Welcome, Kaleb, you’re in a great place!

CP, that sounds delicious. What could be bad?

K-Lo – NUM! Copied and saved !! Can’t wait to try that one!
    Coldpizza – I’ve not tried that yet, but I did use Greek yougart in a salad dressing as a replacement for sour cream recently and I couldn’t tell the difference at all (and I love me some sour cream!) haha πŸ™‚

P.S. Welcome kaleb — you will find lots of support and useful threads here …been doing this a month and read the forums daily πŸ™‚

Hello from Memphis, Tennessee the 2016 fattest city in America and I definitely represent. I have been stalking this site for about a month and I decided to join in. I started 5:2 on April 8th and am down 10.2 lbs. so far. I started at 206.8 and am currently 196.6. I weigh on Saturdays and usually fast on Monday and Wednesday and last week I added Friday. It worked well and I will try again this week. I would like to lose 66lbs to put me at 140. I am rather tall so people can’t believe I weigh as much as I do. They say you’re just big boned. I feel miserable and that doesn’t help. Fasting is still difficult for me although it is easier than the first couple. I am not working right now so it’s hard to keep busy. Food days are also difficult because I love food. I track everything because I need to. I hate to exercise at a gym, but hopefully I can add walking, biking and/or swimming soon. Keep up the good work everyone. It is so encouraging to read about the challenges and successes of others and know I’m not alone. Happy fasting! Clawus

Welcome Kaleb and Clawus- glad you joined our thread. You will find lots is great support and info here- wishing you both success in your journey!
    CaliB

Clawus, Kaleb – welcome! It is very doable. Good luck in losing!

Hi all, it is nice to see that everybody doing so good.
    Warning!
    After giving up sugar, I discovered that I am not addicted to coffee (5-6 cups daily) as I thought, but to sugar in coffee. I don’t really crave coffee anymore and became tea fanatic.
    I read ingredients in my Herbal red Caramel chai tea and discovered brown SUGAR in it! :-G Bad part that the tea can does not stated calories in the tea or how much sugar in it. No wonder it was one of my favorite tea!
    So be warned and read the ingredients in tea carefully if you are trying stay away from sugar.

Kaleb and Clawus, I hope you stick around and have great success with fasting. I’ve been doing different versions of 5:2 since last September and on some days, like today, fasting is still difficult. I don’t know why some fast days seem like a breeze to get through and others are so hard. I’m struggling with it today but just muddle through and I always make it.

Coldpizza, we have Chai tea at work and I have a cup every Wednesday morning. Ours is only 5 calories per cup but I still keep it to 1 cup a week. That and 1 cup of French vanilla coffee and 1 cup of hazelnut coffee, which also have 5 calories each. Hopefully adding those 15 calories each week won’t pack on any pounds, but they are so tasty. The rest of the week I stick to green tea and black coffee during the day, but I really look forward to those 15 calories on Wednesdays.

Bronx

Morning everyone. Today is a fast day or picnic of the packed calories I am carryingπŸ˜‰
    Hope everyone has a great fast or feed day.

Princess….I love that image!

Bronx,
    I do no-calories fast, where unsweetened tea and coffee are allowed and assumed to have 0 calories. I drink a lot of hot herb tea now because it keeps me warm and gives full feeling during my fasts. It was disappointment to discover sugar in one of them. πŸ™
    It helps to know that a cup has about 5 calories. Thank you. πŸ™‚

Princess Cilantro,
    It’s a fast day for me today as well. This is my sixth (I’m on 5:2)and the payoffs are starting to kick in, despite some indulging on non-fast days! Pants are a bit looser and my appetite seems to be decreasing. Hooray!

I split my calories-about 250 or less in the morning and 250 at dinner, that approach seems to work for me.

Have a great day everyone!

Hi Everyone – on the left coast here. A friend at work has lost 30 lbs and is trying to get me hooked. I tried it briefly but utterly lack discipline. I have however, stopped driving to work and now, walk. My roomate is addicted to junk food so I fall into the mud alot. Any way of gentling me into this, I wonder? SHould I buy the books? P

You don’t need the books. Watch the bbc documentary that Dr Mosely did

Hi Pierrette,
    Another left coaster here! I’d encourage you to get the book. It will inform you about the health benefits, which might help as a motivating factor.

Can you encourage your roommate to give it a go as well? Otherwise attempting this with junk food around you is another layer of challenge you don’t need, especially in the beginning when it can be a bit of a struggle for some folks.

Hi Pirrette-My husband is the proverbial “junk food junkie” so that stuff is always around. My personal downfalls are salty and savory with chips being a favorite. I gave them up until I succumbed at Christmas and everytime I eat one I pretend like it tastes like salted cardboard, which it really kind of does, anyway, I know what you’re up against. I’ve been flirting with this too for about a month. Fast and then blow it, and repeat. I had a good week last week and lost the 4 lbs. (again) I’d lost initially when I first started this. This week, since I couldn’t fast on Monday like I like to do, I ate mainly salads with not much dressing (I hate lettuce and fresh vegies drowning in the stuff) and when I got on scale this a.m. I’d lost another pound. Yay! Inspired, I went to my downstairs closet to see if I could scare out some old summer clothes that I might have forgotten about in storage. That was inspirational b/c I found 3 pairs of pants I had earmarked for Goodwill that fit me now and several other things I haven’t been able to wear for 2 summers.
    Princess, I love the metaphor of packed calories going on a picnic today! πŸ™‚ I laughed out loud! Monday and Thursday seem to be the most rational days for me to fast on and of course, I feel way more encouraged to stay on board with it now that it’s finally showing. I hope to do better with posting but the weather here has been so perfect it’s hard for me to stay indoors.
    I wanted to post another thought: my mom drank a shot of vinegar (apple cider vinegar was the base and then she added her own homegrown herbs into it like dill, basil, tarragon, etc.) everyday of her life. She had all her own teeth when she passed (young- only 74 from major heart attack) but I’ve been doing it for years too and seem to be none the worse for wear and if anything, I think it’s helped my own issues with heart disease. I also find that brushing my teeth frequently on fast days really helps me stave off the hunger pangs. (No, I am not eating it πŸ™‚

Hi… First of all “fasting or picnic of the past calories I’m carrying” is a fantastic visual Princess Cilantro! I will try and remember that. I would add that I agree with your getting the 5:2 Fasting diet book, Pierrette.. I have seen the documentary twice, but don’t have it because I don’t know where to get it. Must say I haven’t tried to find it. It is excellent. Saw it on PBS and then on net flicks. They are all helpful to understand how this affects the body differently than other diets in HEALTHY ways. I went on it as a change of life style. It really is that for me.

I do like this thread. It is good to hear the challenges and successes. Did not know about sugar in teas! I did know about sugar in Starbucks chai tea, but others, no. I appreciate you who are giving up sugar. I need to be there. Not willing at this point.

Keep up the good work!

Pierrette, you might also look for Jason Fung’s website. Dr. Fung published The Obesity Code, which explains the body’s reaction to insulin.

I found the book at a bookstore here in their used book section for only $6. You might try 2nd hand bookstores and Amazon had it too, both new and used.

I just read The Obesity Code and all I can say is WOW. Everyone needs to read that book. Don’t let all the info intimate you, grab a highlighter!

Hello everyone. Fast day today. I need the extra push before stepping on the scales tomorrow. This weekend is tough because it is our annual Memphis in May world championship BBQ cooking contest. I have decided to stay away because I have no control when it comes to all you can drink and eat beer and BBQ and celebrating with people I only see once a year. If I really can’t do without I will make my own so the amount is limited. I will try and stay busy today so not thinking about hunger all day. Other good news for me is I found a new job and start June 1st. So excited. Well off for today. Hope everyone has a great day!

Clawus congrats on the new job!
    Non perfect fast day yesterday.
    Having a mindfull feed day today. Working on 5 hours between eating or caloric drinks( coffee with milk) to have more time with lower insulin.

Hi all
    I live in the SF bay area and have been off the forums (and fasting) for almost a year. I got sidetracked by deaths of close family and friends, but am ready to jump back in.I did a fast day Monday and am planning to again today. I find it easiest if I can make it to near lunch time with only tea or coffee, then have an egg and salad, have an early meal in the evening (low carb).
    The morning is difficult, as I’m definitely hungry, but the rest of the day is manageable.
    I am encouraged by all your posts. I have around 14 lbs. (one stone) I’d like to lose.

Hi everyone, it’s been awhile since I posted on this thread. I am still eating the 5:2 way and and have lost 12.5 lbs since April 11. I am from central California. I am still fasting on mon-Thurs and enjoying a non-fast day today. Thanks to k-lo and rlw66 for the great recipe ideas. Looking forward to trying them.
    Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Clawus, if you really enjoy the BBQ, and it’s once a year, you should go! I think people get side tracked about fasting- it’s not meant to be primarily a quick weight loss diet, but a flexible way of eating for a longer, healthier life with weight loss as a side effect. The beauty of intermittent fasting is the flexibility. We have all been on diets that restrict our intake of foods we enjoy, and we all know this eventually fails,(not to mention it has been proven that diets that restrict or force eating certain foods will fail). You are doing well, and don’t want to “blow it”, but unless you stop fasting entirely, you really can’t mess up with intermittent fasting. I’m flying back to Cincinnati in a couple of weeks, and even though I am doing well with alternate day fasting, one way or another, fasting day or not, I plan to go to Taste of Cincinnati and eat what appeals to me. I can always fast the day before and the day after! And, on the plus side, you might very well find that you have developed quite a bit of restraint as the result of fasting. Once I get settled I
    In at my son’s I’m planning on a visit to my favourite BBQ place for smoked brisket, maybe some pulled pork, or smoked turkey. Yum! Again, any diet that makes you miss things because it might affect your diet, will eventually fail. So what if the scale goes up a little the next day? It will go down again. (Or you might have on of those confounding days where you think you totally over ate on a non-fasting day, expecting the numbers to go up- but you get a big drop!) I’m from Cincinnati (now live in New Zealand 8 years)and we have some pretty good BBQ up our way, but you live in BBQ heaven!

Thanks uswoman. On all the diets I’ve been on before I do really well and then have a big splurge and can’t seem to get back on track. I don’t feel strong enough yet to splurge so much. It’s not a craving right now and my best friend couldn’t make it in from Chicago this year so it’s not a huge sacrifice. I still struggle every day so I want to focus as much as I can for as long as I can. There is always more BBQ. Today was my best and easiest fast day so far. Well see what the scales say tomorrow.

hello all,I am American from southern California so same time zone,I would love to join you,
    I want to ask you for a favor, how do you sweeten your coffee or tea especially on fasting days,I used to put sugar then I changed to artificial sweeteners but I stopped them since I heard about its danger,thank you

hi crush
    I live in Northern California, the SF bay area. I use stevia, which is considered safe, to sweeten coffee or tea. I suggest starting with a very small amount, like one drop, since its VERY sweet.
    Stevia is from a plant, and doesn’t raise blood sugar levels.

Cizzy2, tonight I steamed cod in kimchi.. Found the recipe on line. Delicious

Hi All, haven’t posted in a couple of weeks as I took a vacation and got back last Thurs. Started fasting straight away and took off the lbs I gained in a couple of fast days. That’s what I really like about this plan. A day of fasting gets your head straight and gets you back in control again.

Notfastenough. I read your book recommendation and am planning on using the 3 meals no snacks approach for my non fast days.

I’ve lost 5lbs in 5 weeks with a vacay in between. Love the flexibility this plan offers.

mulville,thank you for your advice, please would you mind advice me about which stevia to buy since I went to market and I saw many stuff like stevia in the raw etc…..many claim that some stevia in the market is not the pure stevia, please would you advice me which one you are using(which brand and is it powder or liquid??
    thank you very much

Crush – I drink iced coffee everyday and I used to sweeten it with sugar and cream until someone suggested trying cinnamon — so I slowly replaced the sugar with cinnamon (I use an organic ground that you just add to your ground beans)….adds a nummy flavor and then I use 1 to 2 tablespoons of cream. No longer use sugar of any kind in my coffee πŸ™‚ ….I too have used stevia in other things (like iced tea) and I think it works great!

K-Lo — recipe please? I have cod in the freezer and NEED something nummy to pair it with (other than lemon and herb!) πŸ™‚

If you’re looking for the BBC Horizon show about 5:2 that people talk about here go to Youtube and search for Eat, fast and live longer. The first result (the one uploaded by Footymad Mad) is the one you want to watch.

Bronx

Re cod I make a coating with panko, Dijon mustard, parmesan cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Spread on top and bake. So good.

PC…sounds delicious

Bronx… thanks for the specifics on getting the BBC Horizon show on 5:2.

Princess Cilantro and others with recipes thanks. They seem great.

I had a fast day yesterday with only 300 calories. Because others do no calories or fewer than 500 I feel I can too. That is freeing too. I appreciate all the experiences you share.

Clawus I am glad you see the pitfall of going to big BBQ for beer and food and just refrained this yr. Another year you may enjoy it if you feel you can go and leave the excess alone. For me discipline is coming more and more just because of 5:2. I am not impervious to temptation but like Shazzer I do like the flexibility of this eating plan. As well I look forward to fast day and can jump right in after I have had a disaster eating day.

A quick note for crush, before I rush out the door-I bought the “365” stevia brand at Whole Foods, liquid with a dropper. Other liquid brands are good, sorry i forgot the names.

Crush,
    I drink my coffee and tea without any sweetener but I do use a little stevia in some green smoothie recipes. I use SweetLeaf brand. Have tried Truvia but it seemed to cause some facial skin irritation for me.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,456 total)

You must be logged in to reply.