Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

This topic contains 1,453 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,456 total)

• Hi everyone! I’m a chef for a private school in Northern California, though I’m still a Texan at heart. I’ve just started the 5:2 with my husband, currently on our second fast day of the week. So far it’s been great, a bit of a headache on our first day (Monday) but no real trouble today. I’m aiming for over 100 pounds weight loss and my husband about 40. After being on about 40 different diets in my life, I finally feel that I’ve found something that I can do and that will succeed, given time.

Someone mentioned the Biggest Loser and weight regain and I thought I’d mention that Krista Varady mentions this in her book, not specifically the BL but that there’s research done that someone who has lost weight will have a lower metabolism than someone who hasn’t been overweight. I haven’t had time to do much research yet but for those interested you may want to check it out.

Glad to have a thread with some fellow American’s because I still have no idea when the Brits start talking stones and kg. 🙂

Thanks Bronx and Princess for the feedback on the cinnamon and apple cider vinegar …. I might give it another go.
    Hi Melocity – I agree ! Some of the threads are a little tricky to follow along …Ahhahahah …the BL info that has come out is indeed interesting 🙂
    Fast day for me tomorrow! Hope all those that fasted today did well!!

Hi, Melocity! All the best on starting this way of eating! I head about the Biggest Losers regaining as well, and having lower metabolism. I did a little search and came up with some reading that research shows intermittent fasting lowers the levels of hormones identified to cause hunger and weight to increase. Kind of sad to think that maybe if those folks had only known they needed to fast (Maybe 6:1) it would have prevented the regain. I’m going down about .5 kg/week (about 1 lb), which is okay. My partner and I are doing alternate day fasting.

As far as apple cider vinegar – does anyone have links to legitimate scientific studies that shows this actually has any benefits? I’ve done a search in the past and found information pretty scarce. Not looking for anecdotal evidence, or animal studies. Many thanks!

uswoman, thanks! My thoughts exactly. Hopefully they will discover IF.

Just found this on Dr. Fung’s site with links to the research about apple cider vinegar:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-benefits-of-vinegar-hormonal-obesity-xxviii/

Thank goodness today is a fast day. My feed days have been too out of control this week and the scale confirms it. Well this will be a blip on the screen as long as I persevere.
    Good luck everyone.

Hi uswoman, re your question about apple cider vinegar. In a previous post I attempted to point coldpizza in the direction of a site run by a Dr Michael Greger M.D. He has just published a book, “How Not To Die”. I believe I made a mistake with the website but on giving Google a search I came upon it as http://www.drgreger.org If you sign up to his emails you will get a host of medical research on a variety of foods and their impact on specific health problems. The last email I received was specifically about apple cider vinegar. I cannot vouch for the Doctor but it is another area of research for you.
    If coldpizza checks this post I apologise for any incorrect info I gave earlier.
    Good Luck out there.

Hey Cilantro,

I am fasting away my sins today as well.

I think I must be part bear preparing to hibernate – on my eating days I am packing in everything I can find. Though I think my stomach has shrunk a bit so I am not eating as much as before – still – hard to stop once I get started.

Have a great day – only way to fail is by quitting.

I’m still in.. My third week. I can relate with Princess Cilantro with my eating been out of control. Our strawberries have come in and I’m loving them too much with my ice cream..:) However, I did lose a pound in spite of them. Today is my FD and I do feel better in control. Keeping busy and drinking lots of water. I did have a Dannon lite yogurt, 80 calories for breakfast and have my dinner planned. I’m not quite ready to give up eating altogether on FD. Everyone have a terrific day.

Hi, couscous – it was a good read. It did link back to the study, which (asI thought), turned out to be the one I found before. Just not much out there. Just not convinced that it would make enough difference to risk exposing my teeth to that every day, even though the risk is probably pretty small. With my luck, I’d try it, then brush my teeth with toothpaste make with baking soda and wind up foaming at the mouth and looking like I was rabid!

Uswoman,when I do the vinegar thing, I use a straw but I rarely remember

K-Lo, I was thinking that plus following with water and brushing my teeth after. Even with the small study results not sure (honestly) if I can be bothered.

Hi uswoman, thank you for your reply. Some 40 odd yrs ago a friend of mine took apple cider vinegar daily. He said it made his hair so healthy. I just do not know if cider vinegar is one of those “magic bullets” or if it is just a victim of yet another conspiracy theory regards a healthy diet and lifestyle. Good luck in your endeavours.

uswoman, just a ps to my last comment re cider vinegar. My friend who took a daily does of cider vinegar. He had his own teeth until the day he died.
    ???????????.

No problem, Couscous. We all trying to help each other the best we can.
    I am kind of skeptical on the apple cider thing. Some year ago it was miracle cure for fungus. I had one on my toe, and for half a year used apple cider soak every day for my toe (not drinking). The result was zero. My nail becomes yellowish-brownish, but the fungus still flourished. Then I find another suggestion to use Listerine (mouthwash). It worked! Who knew? Cheap and effective.

Still it is good to gather information from different sources. I afraid that some people could be too eager on the vinegar and do more damage than good. I think it is very important to try something new with cautions with as much info as you can get, and than listen to your body reaction very careful.

Good morning coldpizza (6.32 am over here in England ). I totally agree with you and your comments. I believe the internet is much like newspapers, if it is in print then it must be true and many fall into this trap. I am all for gaining information from a wide variety of sources about anything of interest to me be it health, mental or physical or a lifestyle interest. It is then up to me as an individual to make decisions about it. The same is true for cider vinegar but one thought did occur to me about the acidic properties of this drink and that is will it affect the efficiency of any drugs an individual is taking?. I believe it is well documented that people taking certain drugs should avoid eating grapefruit due to its impact on said drugs. The type of drugs escapes me at the moment. A few years ago it was widely reported over here that pregnant women should avoid eating potatoes with green skin. I just do not know if this is sort of information, widely published is actually true or not, but they are examples of something akin to a “moral panic”. As you can see because I have made some suggestions and comments about certain foods are these true or not?. Ultimately it is up to the individual to make the decision.
    Good Luck.

Everyone should avoid green potatoes it is a neurotoxin.

Couscous, The drugs that are affected by grapefruit are the statins, Lipitor, Zocor, etc, for lowering cholesterol. And it is a fact that grapefruit “precipitates” these drugs, which as you may know means less of the drug is metabolized and too much circulates in the system, to potentially dangerous levels. The same thing happens with for example with Xanax and alcohol, which is why small doses of some drugs can result in inadvertent overdose, it is the combination that is risky.
    I totally agree with you that the Internet is a place of much mis-information! I don’t know abut the benefits of apple cider vinegar, but probably good to check with your doctor if there are concerns about a medication.
    Cheers!

Princess C –
    Totally agree about green potato. Not good food – should be put in trash bin.
    I was out of control this week so far as well. Fasting today. I hope your fast yesterday was a success.

Move out day at my 20 year old son’s fraternity. Ate an entire toasted bagel with my egg for strength. I think I need a Bloody Mary chaser. FD tomorrow but today I will need calories and the patience of a saint.

I will have earned this Mother’s Day

Stay Strong, K-LO, Stay Strong! 🙂

Hi girls!

I’m here because I guess I qualify as an American! I live in the San Diego area. Does anyone else live on the West Coast?

I’ve been doing this 5:2 since late last summer with a goal of losing the last 10-15 lbs on my short 5’2″ bod. I just recently got to my goal of 120 (actually 120.6), but may want to try for 115 to give myself some “play” while on vacation this summer. It’s been very long, hard to get those last lbs. off.
    I’ve had to incorporate very healthy eating and low-ish carbs to help me get it off. Just doing “whatever” on the non-fast days wasn’t working for me even though I still ate pretty good! In general I eat no sugar/gluten. While on another thread, I’ve noticed a lot of the people who are most successful combine the fasting with some other eating plan, be it low carb or no sugar, etc.

Maintaining has also been hard for me with past diets. I lose and then seem to gain it back over the course of 3-6 mo’s usually. I’ve been reading on another thread that one week of 5:2 and then a week of 6:1 works for many to keep it off…apparently just doing 6:1 wasn’t working enough for many to maintain. Then there’s the depressing recent revelation reported on the Biggest Loser winners who (all but 1) have gained weight back! 🙁

Anyhow, looking forward to getting to know you all and catching up on reading posts here! Hoping I can be of help in some way to you all too! 🙂

Hi Sherryann and everyone, I too posted a concern about the BL data, and how the scientific research showed their metabolisms had been damaged and had not yet recovered. My goal is not to just lose weight (if I can!) but to keep it off, and this seems to be as difficult for most people. I especially don’t want to end up even heavier! ( I am similar to you, 5’3″ with 15 to 20 to lose). I started doing some research, and found a book called “Lean Habits for Lifelong Weight Loss”, by Georgie Fear. I am so impressed with it that I will be following that plan on my non-fast days. Basically 4 main habits: eating 3-4 meals a day-no snacking. Being hungry 30-60 minutes before you eat , to make sure it is really hunger (easy for 5:2-ers!) Eat enough, but not too much. And, eat mostly whole foods. She goes into each of these in detail, is an easy read- with lots of tips. It is not easy for most of us Americans, I would say, to give up snacking- but I have always thought that is the real secret of why the French are slimmer- they rarely eat between meals. Each of us will find our own way- but that book resonated with me.

Hi and welcome Sherry– I am also on the west coast– Santa Cruz. Congrats on your weight loss-very inspiring!! I am similar to you and notfastenough- I am 5’2″ with 12-15 more lbs to go…. I have been doing ADF for 6 weeks and have lost around 8 lbs—just this week I am noticing a real shift in my body— clothes are looser, I am not very hungry on FD anymore and rarely have hunger pains on those days like I used to…. I think my body finally kicked into fat burning mode.
    I also have noticed a real decrease in over eating on feed days.

I’m hoping this last bit of weight loss doesn’t take me forever but I’m committed to hang in there until I get there. This forum really helps keep me motivated. I love hearing from everyone what their experience is. Glad you found us– it’s a great site for ideas and encouragement.

Melocity:
    As far as the study that came out regarding the follow-up of Biggest Loser contestants from 6 years ago, I wonder how consistent the means of compiling data was from the beginning of a tv show and then a “Scientist’s” accumulation of data six years later. I have read some reviews of the study that say it was pretty good, as studies go these days. But I’ve found no good answer to the question I just put forth. Who was responsible at the tv show for collecting data and what method was used, and was it the same 6 years later? It matters in scientific research that all data collection is the same: consistent across any study.
    Then there is the horrific (in my opinion) loss of weight in such a short time for the contestants. They say 7-8 months and 200+pounds? OMG! And from what I read, 7 hours at the gym and working out at home in any spare time? They could have no time for work. No time for relaxation. What a stress on anyone’s body! Maybe that contributed to them gaining their weight back….too much cortisol? And how sustainable would working out like that be? I would just give it up and eat!!!!
    I myself do not value that study in the least. It has no credibility to me except to show that when you put people under extreme conditions to lose weight, they will lose in the short term but their bodies will see such extreme stress as a survival challenge, and rise to it by doing whatever it/they can to hold on to fat, body mass, calories, etc. to stay alive. Just my humble opinion. I am a retired health care person, just to give myself a hint of credibility. Good luck to you.. I enjoy reading this thread. Very inspirational.

Hi NorthernDawn, Just to let you know, the study was done by a very reputable scientist , Dr. Hall, an expert on metabolism at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, which is part of the National Institutes of Health. The main takeaway was that for many of the participants, their metabolisms were severely damaged- however, Dr Hall is careful to say that they do not yet know why. I hope they continue their studies, as I for one do not want to end up heavier after a diet! It could be, as rlw66 suggested, that intermittent fasting protects Leptin from disappearing. But the scientists do not yet know- was it the prolonged exercise? Their slashed calories? I hope this is pursued and answered!

Hello, Notfastenough, thanks so much for replying. I do understand who Dr. Hall is and I do have *some* respect for NIH. But I still have questions as I have not been able to find the raw data that was gathered at the beginning of the experiment involving n=16 subjects (the Biggest Loser Contestants): diet journals, how that was gathered and parsed, and then, if the statistical model Dr. Hall used to assess and input data was the same method as originally used during the tv show. Consistency is imperative in science! And, of course, anything less than n=35 can not be considered a solid study in many people’s opinions, not only mine.
    I will say again, that I do not put a lot of credence into this study if it’s conclusion is that the ‘Biggest Loser’ contestant’s decrease of metabolic rate can be assumed to be the same result for normal dieting, and therefore extends to the average person who loses weight over time. Especially if we are talking about someone who loses a pound or two a week. Not the same thing at all, IMHO! More studies are needed, you say? Exactly. But I hope people will not take this small study to be an excuse to not try to change their lives by reducing weight, especially through 5:2. Best of luck to you, Notfastenough! I’ve enjoyed our conversation.

Hi NorthernDawn. I’ve been trying to put this information together in my head about the Biggest Losers and I’m having trouble with it, for sure. Mostly because I’ve worked three night shifts and have had horrible sleep – not enough and poor quality. Like trying to work this out after a few drinks, so pardon my rambling and if anyone would like to step in and clarify or expound on anything I write, feel free. Anyhow, I have read that the BL folks had next to no leptin swirling around at the end of the weight loss, and 6 months later, only 60% of their levels recovered. I can’t remember the information on ghrelin, but I believe they had constant high levels. I found high levels of ghrelin in one study that compared weight loss surgery people to those losing as the BL people did, and found that, even though the WLS people consumed far fewer calories, the same hormonal changes didn’t happen to the same extent. (I think the comparison had to do with losing a lot of weight rapidly.) I guess what it boils down to is that the Biggest Loser is really a show about how to be the Biggest Loser In The Long Run, when it comes to the Eat Less/Move More idea of weight loss. And somewhere along the line I did find a statement that intermittent fasting leads to normalization of these hormone levels. (One would think that ghrelin levels (the “feed me” hormone) would be very high during fasting, but apparently that is not the case.) And I guess that has something to do with the idea that appetite decreases the more you get into fasting. Not so unusual to find you aren’t starving on non-fasting days, and fasting becomes easier. Too bad the BL contestants weren’t intermittent fasting and eating LCHF diets. Even with the study results, you have to wonder if the shows “coaches” aren’t happy enough to stand by their ways of getting people to lose weight, and blame them for the regain. I did read they were just let go at the end of the show, told to exercise at least 9 hours per week and follow a very restrictive diet for the rest of their days to keep the weight off. But I guess a show with people NOT eating and doing exercise to become fit (instead of gruelling, painful, constant hard out exercise) wouldn’t draw many viewers. Imagine the excitement of the crowd when the scale is down a Kg in one week, and they walked 30 minutes a day!
    I think the idea is there that some of what happens with BL contestants happens to dieters who do lose the weight over time, but to a lesser degree. Lucky us to have stumbled onto intermittent fasting! I really wonder if they have been fasting along the way or even after if the effects would have been the same. I also read somewhere along the line that the contestants agreed to be part of this study when they signed up for the show. While it may not be perfect it was a group of people who were under pretty tight scrutiny and dietary control for the entire time period. Well, that’s about it for my ramblings. If anything, this BL revelation should secure IF as a healthy weight to lose and maintain weight loss, and good for overall health and longevity.

Good grief I am heading in the wrong direction. The newness is wearing off and instead of building new habbits I am returning to old have regained 5 pounds.

Hey Cilantro…

I can relate – however: that is how this diet is so different. All you need to do is fast and you are back on track. One day from feeling awesome and accomplished again. Do not trust the stupid scale. That 5 pounds could be hormonal, water, muscles retaining water etc…

Do what you did to get started in the first place, resist those waves of hunger, water, water and more water. (I will be taking my own advice as well!)

Cizzy2 & All Americans and anyone else, I have a husband that eats by the clock too. He is however doing 5:2 with me. I am thankful. It helps me. I want to know what is 16:8? I see these abbreviations and roll over them until I finally ask.

Yesterday was my FD and did well. Will say my husband recognizes he isn’t hungry on a fast day until noon or later. Then day after he isn’t hungry until noon. I would like to understand that, it happens to me too. Some on this thread have said the same thing. There might be a scientific reason that someone knows. I need to find my 5:2 book and give it a reread. Okay..I have problems on my feed days with wanting sweet things. I am aware if I don’t eat anything sugary at my first meal I don’t have so much of the problem. So that is one strategy I try to follow. I keep fruit to satisfy sweet tooth. That is another strategy. I am on maintenance and am really pleased to have this 5:2 eating plan. The best to all whether feed day or fast.

Hi Pea:

16:8 means that the person eats all of their food in an 8 hour ‘eating window’ each day.

Princess I can relate- I am up 2 lbs but I’ve had a few too many events lately that have changed up my FD– I am hoping this week to get back on track– good luck to us both!!

Hi everyone! I live on the west coast, and I would like to join you!

I bought Dr. Mosley’s new book, The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet, and I love it. I am doing his 5:2 version of 800 cals two days a week/Mediterranean (M) diet. I am vegan, so with a few adjustments to the eating plan, I’m good to go. I start tomorrow.

I also joined the 5:2 forum over on the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet website, but it’s dead compared to this one!

Glad to meet you all!

Thanks for the encouragement. Took a 5.73 mile walk today. Hope to get things back under control.

Hi everyone,

Woo hoo! Down to 119.6 thus morn- broke the 120’s finally! Happy Mother’s Day to all the lovely moms out there!

For myself, I’m going to stop focusing on negatives like the BL weight gains over time results. It just doesn’t help and I have to stay focused & positive. I too feel in my bones that this way of losing weight may benefit our metabolisms in the long run. Just the habit of eating normal and then fasting once or twice a week has got to help maintain the weight loss I’d think.

Melinda, I agree with you-I like having a simple tool ( fasting) in my tool belt to utilize the day after I’ve not eaten so well! Btw, I also do a detox cleanse for 4-7 days every so often which is kind of like fasting in and of itself to change things up. I make chicken bone broth, and have that and lots of veggies, protein and berries.

Let’s all have a great, successful week next coming up! 😘

Hello all,
    I am new to the web site and just started 5:2 about two weeks ago after reading the Fast Diet book. Mostly seeking to lose 10 pounds and maintain,not yo-yo as has been the case for too long.

I’ve read through the postings here and find them very helpful, supportive and even inspirational. What a great group!

I’m from California, middle-aged, and so far doing OK on fast days (typically oatmeal and berries or meusli and fruit for breaskfast and dinner is usually fish or poultry and veggies), Adjusting to the feed days is where the real work exists for me, not overdoing it. I’ve been trying to take things a step at a time, and trust that things will settle down on the feed days as my body and willpower adjusts!

Welcome workinprogress! Another Californian, yay. I am still finding my balance with the feed days as well. It’s one reason I’m sticking to ADF, don’t trust myself with too many feed days in a week right now.

For those interest in more on the Biggest Loser, just noticed that Dr. Fung has a great write up talking about the data. The basic summary is fasting is the only way to keep your metabolic rate from tanking.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/

Thanks, Melocity,
    Am definitely keeping in mind that if 5:2 does not work for me over time I may try ADF. Good to know that option is working for people struggling with feed days.

Have a great fast or feed day everyone.
    Was wimpering that I had gained 5 pounds back. Well dropped 3. Learning that I tolerate brown rice and oats but not wheat. Wheat equals weight gain for me.
    Today is a fast day so hopefully will make progress on undoing the two pound gain.

Good morning from MN, everyone. Uswoman, good points about the BL studies and I agree with much of what you said. Three night shifts and sleep deprivation did not decrease your mental capacities! I enjoyed reading your thoughtful response.
    Melocity: thanks for the link to Dr. Fung’s blog. I hadn’t really been familiar with him before this last month or so. I can see I’ll be spending a lot of time reading on his blog site and probably watching his videos as well. Fasting does seem to make sense as possibly one of the few ways to lose weight without damaging metabolism. It’s certainly already proven a more effective weight loss tool for me than just about anything else I’ve tried in the last several years! Good luck everyone!

Good morning from sunny NYC! I survived the Filthy Frat House…escaped a cleaning frenzy and have the manchild home. Happy Mother’s Day to me! I had a dinner party on Saturday night and guest arrived with … CHOCOLATE. Well, that just did me in. Controlled everything well until the box was opened. Oh well, I did well on Mother’s Day (and enjoyed all of the family compliments), and I’m back down again today.

Sherryann, I hope to follow you into the teens in a few weeks. 5′ 1″ and 122.8. 118 is my goal. Hoping for 120 by Memorial Day weekend.

Greetings from middle America where the people tend to be large and too often their minds tend to be narrow 🙂
    A fast day for me and finding comfort in broth…anyone else been there? I tend to crave salty foods. AND I have a deep affection for radishes during a fast day. They are low in calories and satisfy a crunch need. Try them dipped in light mayo!

Hi KBJD,
    A fast day for me today as well. Looking forward to it. Will have oatmeal and berries this morning.

Good morning everyone!

I’m a 24 year old analytical chemist located in Cambridge, MA. I’m 5′ 0″ and have about 30 lbs that could be lost. However, I’m much more concerned with the health and longevity aspects of 5:2, specifically when it comes to digestion.

A few years ago I lose those 30 lbs on Weight Watchers and extreme amounts of exercise, bu it turned into a mentally harmful and physically unsustainable lifestyle (I graduated college, started a full time job, and did not have 2-3 hours to spend at the gym 7 days a week). I have since gained the weight back, but I also got my peace of mind back. For me, the balance between physical and mental health is the most important.

This is my 3rd week of 5:2, and today is a fast day… so far today had coffee with whole milk and some herbal tea. Going for a run on my lunch break with a friend which I find helps on my fasting days. The plan is to have broth for lunch after my run and eat my first (and ideally only) meal around 6pm when I get home from work. Hope everyone is doing well!

good luck! I hope to exercise this evening. Its amazing the time you find when you aren’t eating, or planning to, or regretting having done so 🙂

Yep, I plan to hit the gym after work, and for dinner will have turkey breast and some veggies.

KBJD, your middle America line had me stiffling giggles in a meeting. I put radishes on my shopping list for tonight’s swordfish tacos. Do you like Japanese pickled radishes? mmmmmm.

K-Lo I love pickled anything. Or fermented anything. Basically anything vinegary and acidic is my jam.

I have a jar of kimchi in the fridge at home that I’m looking forward to breaking open.

Cape cod , ma here , my second fast day, coffee whole milk, mango black tea, and will have a portioned dinner later with hubby. Am planning my next fd on wed, I have to be careful , since I seem to be allowing myself too consume too much, on my non fd I feel is defeating , I’ve got 40 lbs to go , will get on scale on Friday , will be two weeks since I’ve weighed in. I seem to handle fd ok. A bit of headache, but does pass. I plan to walk weather cooperates on weekends.

abitunGraceful, I make a dish with chicken, soba and kimchi with LOTS of ginger and garlic. (Someday I’ll figure out the calorie count!) There’s a veggie market near my house owned by a Korean family. The wife makes kimchi … the best kimchi.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,456 total)

You must be logged in to reply.