After 1 year, I'm at my wits end

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
After 1 year, I'm at my wits end

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rockyromero 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I’ve been doing the 5/2 diet since July 2013. I wanted to lose 8 kilos and I lost 4 kilos in the first four months and thought I would be done by Christmas.

I then reached a plateau for about five months when nothing happened. Still I persisted because of the health benefits and I figured that this was a long term thing.

I don’t weigh myself on a regular basis – I just go by the fit of my clothes and a week ago I realised that everything felt tighter on me and I weighed myself and I’m right back where I started.

In the last 11 months I have followed the diet with the exception of a week here or there on four occasions due to illness or Christmas commitments or some other social obligation.

I am health conscious – eating organic and whole foods, I drink sparingly – maybe 2 or 3 glasses of wine once a week and I exercise four times a week: cycle at the gym and pilates and yoga or swimming.

It really is not possible for me to do the 4/3 as some people have suggested on these forums. I don’t always find the fast days easy. Sometimes, I can get through the day without a problem, other days I’m really struggling (although I stick to them) and the thought of doing 3 days a week is not at all appealing.

I do not over eat on so called feast days. Occasionally, as I imagine is the case with many people, I may overindulge at a dinner party or a festive occasion.

On fast days, I have done a number of things. Breakfast and dinner, lunch and dinner, sometimes breakfast, lunch ( a 60 calorie soup) and a dinner. It depends how I feel.

I was talking to a friend of mine about it today and she said: it’s like your body has worked out what you’re doing and your metabolism has set itself to this regime. Great.

I don’t know whether this is related to menopause and hormone fluctuations or what. The reason I embarked on this diet was because of the weight creeping on me in the last five years without any changes to my diet and exercise – and I have been a committed exercise person for most of my adult life.

I was so excited when I lost those four kilos – albeit slowly. Now I’m really depressed and at a loss about what to do next. I’m still fasting for two days, because I’m frightened if I stop, I’ll actually put on weight.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I don’t really get kilos but it seems from what you say that you can’t be far from your ideal weight? Have you worked out your numbers with the TDEE calculator? If so, and you are quite close to where you need to be, maybe you should put your goal weight into the calculator (rather than your actual weight) and work to THAT TDEE number for non-fastdays instead.

I know people hate to calorie count, and you don’t need to be obsessive about it or anything but 5:2 does basically boil down to a numbers game, so you DO NEED to be remotely aware of what you’re taking in on non-fastdays and stay vaguely (but definitely) on or under your TDEE in order to actually lose weight.

Hi TracyJ

8 kilos is 18 pounds. I guess it’s not an enormous amount but it means 3/4 of my wardrobe doesn’t fit me.

OK, I thought this diet was not about counting calories on the non fast days and you’re right – I really don’t want to be obsessive about it – it’s enough I read the labels on everything for fast days – I can’t be bothered doing it for the other days.

So, my TDEE is 1834. I can tell you now that most days I’m on that or under it. Today, I would have been well and truly under it and I’m on a normal eating day.

I thought the whole point of this diet was that you didn’t have to obsess on a daily basis about what you should and shouldn’t eat (obviously within reason). I have read that people underestimate how much they eat, but even my husband said to me recently: Babe, you should go to a doctor. You put so much effort for such little result.

scrittore, it does sound like you’re managing to eat enough on non-fasting days to compensate for the calorie restriction on fasting days. Even if we eat all good food, if we eat too much of it, we can gain weight. Those of us who are smaller and older (me) need a surprisingly little amount of food to maintain our weight. I like TracyJ’s idea of eating the number of calories to maintain at your goal weight on non-fasting days. Use the BMI/TDEE calculator, set it to the weight you want to be and one activity level lower than you think you qualify for to be on the safe side, and see how many calories it gives you (if you want a real surprise, compare it to how many calories you could eat at the same weight and activity level if you were 20 or 30 years younger). Then keep a food diary for a week and see how what you’re eating compares with that number.

I lost 40 pounds in 40 weeks with 5:2 plus gradually increasing my walking to an average of 10,000 steps per day. I was very careful about how much I ate on non-fasting days, measuring my portions of some foods, although not counting calories daily. If someone absolutely can’t stand counting calories, ever, then I recommend alternate-day fasting, because it’s really hard to over-eat by so much every other day that you cancel out the effects of the fasting every other day.

Weighing yourself at least once a month is probably a good idea, just to know where you stand.

Hope this helps.

Hi scrittore, I get the whole not wanting to count calories thing. I’m one of those too. Luckily, as an exercise early on on 5:2, while I was still trying to figure out what I could do for fasting days, I spent an hour or so going through all of my favourite recipes and calorie counting them. I then continued to make these recipes and just made sure I portioned them out in 500 calorie portions (or less). This was really easy, as most of them were old Weight Watchers recipes of my mothers anyway but I did the same with all of the curry/chilli/bolognaise etc. sauce based meals I liked too.

I ended up getting a really good feel for the calorie counts in any given meal (which is handy when I’m out for dinner or ordering a takeaway) and it means that all of the ‘ready meals’ (frozen individual portions of those recipes – originally made for 4-6) are on or under 500 calories, so on a non-fastday I know exactly how much I’m consuming for dinner and it’s my choice if I want to just have a portion of chicken & thyme risotto or to augment the 250kcal curry portion with 200kcal of rice and/or naan.

For me fastdays are easy peasy, as I just don’t eat until very late and then have my 500 calories in the form of breakfast cereal and a cup of tea. Non-fastdays are hard, as I often (these days) cave earlier in the day and have something before I get home. Even after my totally accounted for ‘ready meal’ I can easily continue to feel ‘greed’ (it’s not hunger at that point as I know I’ve had enough and I AM full) and go for more chocolate than I’m entitled to as my ‘treat’ for the day. That’s MY battle at the moment but I know it is my weakness and I am mindful of it because I am not obsessive about calorie counting but I do KNOW what I’m consuming because of that early training.

@scrittore

“Sometimes, I can get through the day without a problem, other days I’m really struggling (although I stick to them) and the thought of doing 3 days a week is not at all appealing.”

Yes, struggling and doing something that is not appealing goes against having fun or enjoying the process.

What is your self talk when you do well and when you struggle?

What is the difference?

What could you tell yourself that would put you in a state of quiet determination and satisfaction when fasting?

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hi-from-sunny-south-africa/#post-41293

The quality of the self talk (in moments of hunger while fasting) is in direction proportion to your fasting success, and eventually, your life success.

What is a better self talk that fits you better?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.