Hi from Sunny South Africa

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sunnyside 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Wondering if there are other South Africans on the site? Michael’s TV programs “The truth about…” have only recently been aired here so as usual we are slow to catch on!

I’ve been trying to help people ditch diets for years, as well as keeping weight off myself without going overboard as well as trying to keep cholesterol and sugar within healthy limits.

Instantly intrigued by IF, it just makes so much sense, and have been doing it a few weeks. Probably not doing it right – I’ve been fasting completely for 24 hours one day (supper to supper so not going to bed hungry) and eating lightly the next day including the fast-break supper, the rest of the week eating normally and enjoying my small glass of wine, occasional cake or helping of dessert. Have lost weight, maybe about a kilo and a half.

hi there GoodHope3418 and welcome to the forum!!

sorry am in the UK, good luck with 5.2 and happy fasting!! 🙂

Hi from Kyalami
    Heard about the programme from my girlfriend on the Gold Coast
    Starting Monday …….she is raving about in!

Hi Sunny SA
    Not soooo sunny up in GP. I heard about this last year but could not do it as I was quite ill. Now I m redi to do anything to get into my winter clothes. I will. It buy new clothes. I have to fight this demon. Medication caused me to put on about 20 kgs. I was a healthy60-64 now I am over 80…….can’t take this glad it winter for the coats but come September I have to have shed all this weight. Hope we can encourage each other.

Be encouraged! It’s maybe a bit harder in the cold, but stick with it. At least in Gauteng you get some warm sun in the middle of the day even if you freeze at night. I’m in PE and winters are mild, thank goodness, but a cold day tends to stay cold!

I’m still losing weight but quite slowly bc on Feed days I’m not being sensible. Went thru some stress lately and used sweet treats as therapy! But with the two fast days I am doing fine, am well within healthy weight limits and now wondering how much more I should actually lose, since I’m 53 and as the doctor in the family keeps mentioning, it’s not good to be too thin when you get older. I’m about 4.5 kilos down since I started FD in early March and I’ve done it every week.

Lately I’m thinking that weight in itself might not be that useful, I’m rather trying to measure round my middle and get my Waist-to-Height ratio correct, i.e. waist should be less than half your height. As for “lose weight fast”, that is for the birds, really. It doesn’t matter when the weight comes off or how quickly, as long as it does. The body has to get used to giving up its long term stores, and must learn to trust that there isn’t a famine about to happen, or deep seated drives to find food will derail your best efforts.

The Fast Diet is not a gimmick – it’s a way of life with so many benefits other than weight loss – you should see improvement in your skin, hair, energy levels and immune system as well as blood chemistry if you get it tested (I haven’t done that).

Today is a Fast day and so far I haven’t eaten anything and it’s mid-afternoon. Drinking cups of tea with a bit of milk, that’s all. I don’t usually do this – usually eat a good Oats breakfast with a bit of red fruit and a cup of soup or stock for lunch, but today I just can’t be bothered. I’m hungry, I suppose, but that’s not bothering me either. I have really lost my fear of being hungry, I just notice the feeling and move on to the next thing I need to get done. It helps being busy. On Fast nights I get really tired and go to bed early (for me), this is also a good thing!! But I can exercise or work out without any problem as long as I drink extra water.

I will eat supper later… on a Wednesday fast I eat whatever low calorie stuff I fancy, tonight it’s cottage cheese and Greek salad, maybe some Avo to make it more interesting. On Thursday I take it a bit easier, may eat a piece of toast at lunch and for supper I do fish – Sashimi if I can afford it and frozen if I can’t. Salad or greens with that. By then I’m looking forward to the end of the fast, though I usually make it a late breakfast on Friday. Last week I went to a Coffee Morning and stuffed my face with sweet stuff and spring rolls so that wasn’t good and I won’t do it again!! But at the end of the week I was the same weight as before so I got away with it, not to mention several plates of pudding, potato bake, pasta and other stuff that with any other diet would spell disaster.

Most Fast Dieters seem to prefer to separate their two days. Not me – I like to a) get it over with and b) actually feel my body converting to fat-burning mode once all the supplies of sugar are used up, and keep it in the state for most of the next day as well. It seems to take about 18 hours from previous night’s meal to wipe out all the sugar and start burning fat instead, which since I’m not eating fat is mainly my own body fat. I may be over-simplifying but I cannot see how anyone expects to burn body fat without at some point having a deficit of calories and especially of sugars and carbs!!

I have friends on the Tim Noakes Diet – might be worth a look – though the amount of fat he prescribes is pretty horrifying. I find it fascinating that people (especially men) do seem to lose weight so well on the Noakes regime! If you saw the Carte Blanche insert on this, the other expert on the show (Dr Opie) suggested doing the Noakes for a few weeks to lose weight and then go for something more balanced. It does seem to work well for some, others feel terrible on it, so I’m just sticking to the Fast Diet – I like doing it, it makes sense in lots of ways, and I know from sad experience that I don’t stick to diets that apply every day. I worry about consuming large amounts of animal fat, not only because of the cholesterol aspect (still waiting for better research on that) but because I figure that a lot of the toxins that are used in modern agriculture end up in the animal fat, so unless it’s organic, grass fed etc etc I would be surprised if it’s good for us

The sugar withdrawal gives me a headache sometimes but nothing too terrible, if that happens to you eat the oats porridge for breakfast, it will help, I use a small spoonful of yoghurt and a barely-there drizzle of honey….

I also bought the Fast Diet recipe e-book, not using it much but it’s got some really nice ideas in there and you’ll be surprised at how much you can eat without going over your calorie limit (I reckon 500 Calories to be about 1800 Kilojoules, if that’s not right, someone better tell me).

Wishing you all the best Big Mamma – start off with dividing your calorie allowance between the three meals to make your Fast Day easier, split the days if that helps, and make sure you’re not at a loose end or too much around other people’s food on your Fast Day, and you should be just fine. If you can avoid my bad example and be careful not to over-indulge on your Feed Days as well, that weight is going to come off and you’ll feel so much better all round.

Sunny

@goodhope3418

“The Fast Diet is not a gimmick – it’s a way of life with so many benefits other than weight loss ”

How do you reward yourself for ongoing fasting, without resorting to food as the reward?

What more ‘reward’ for ongoing fasting could you possibly need than the long term health benefits?!

@happynow

“What more ‘reward’ for ongoing fasting could you possibly need than the long term health benefits?”

Good question.

If only that were true for everyone. However, people speak long term and act short term.

So what is the short term reward for fasting?

Other than food?

Hi Rocky, interesting question. Everyone is different, and has a different relationship with food.

For me, IF (both 5:2 and 16:8) combined with low carb/sugar appears to have ‘cured’ me of insatiable cravings for foods such as cakes and sweets. So I don’t need to get through a fast day by thinking I can reward myself with cake (or whatever your particular ‘reward’ is – maybe it’s a 16oz steak!) tomorrow. I no longer perceive sweet/carbs foods to be ‘treats’ (how can it be a treat to spike blood sugar and raise insulin). And 5 months on, and as a result of IF,it is no longer a struggle to stay within TDEE on non-fast days so the thought of overeating is not a reward.

I don’t see that short term rewards necessarily ‘need’ to be food based for anyone (or that food is the only short term reward). What about mental sharpness and improved memory….Finding out those old jeans do fit again now…. Stepping on the scales and seeing the number go down… Getting your bloods done and finding your cholesterol/ BP is normal again or that you appear to be reversing your diabetes…. Etc etc. I think these can be short term rewards that keep you motivated to continue. I’m afraid I can’t remember the name of the poster recovering from a stroke (talk about inspirational), but I bet for them re-finding language skills they thought they’d lost for ever (e.g) is far more rewarding than ‘cake tomorrow’ could ever be.

Hi all,
    My rewards are compliments, smaller clothes, fitness classes becoming easier, getting closer to goal, the thought of one day being described as that glamourous slim lady with the blonde hair.
    Ok so I am dreaming but What a nice dream?

@happynow

“What about mental sharpness and improved memory….Finding out those old jeans do fit again now…. Stepping on the scales and seeing the number go down… Getting your bloods done and finding your cholesterol/ BP is normal again or that you appear to be reversing your diabetes”

@jojo58

“My rewards are compliments, smaller clothes, fitness classes becoming easier, getting closer to goal, the thought of one day being described as that glamourous slim lady with the blonde hair.”

Yes, this varies for each one of us.

What is that self talk that the successful fasters have ongoing?

When the fasting gets hard (and it doesn’t really get that hard) I do tell myself “You can eat that tomorrow if you want”. Here at work there are cakes most days and carb-y lunch, so I’ve had to do that.

But funny thing, when tomorrow comes I don’t usually feel the need to over-eat. It seems that if you give your body a chance to really say what nutrition it prefers, the answer will not be fatty, sugary treats. I noticed right from the start of IF that I was looking for better quality, cleaner food on the feed days and that hasn’t changed.

On the occasions when I have overdone the treats (like last week) the worst that’s happened is that I didn’t lose any weight that week.

And as others have said, I’m rewarded by seeing the scales gradually go down, the waistband of jeans getting looser (I’ve now given away all my Size 18 clothes as they’re not wearable any more) and having more energy, as well as when others notice the lost weight. It’s also rewarding to know that there’s a food plan that I can live with in the long term, which also produces results in the short term.

I’ve always been very anti-diet by the way!! Hate the weight loss culture, all the obsessive crap, the constant comparing that goes on, the self hating and puritanism. I won’t say that Fast Dieters are completely free of all that – it’s hard to avoid in modern life – but I find it easier on the mind and soul as well as on the body. I can have dinner with friends or family and not always be refusing food that was lovingly prepared.

Sunny

Hey from the neighboring Botswana, I have been DOING 5:2 for six weeks now and I have lost 4 kg so far. I really love this diet and it’s so easy to stick to at first I thought the fast days will be unbearable for me but I find them very easy by keeping myself busy at work and going to the gym. For some reason I’m so full of energy to workout on fast days. My fast days are Mondays and Thursdays but this week I did Monday and Tuesday back to back because I went overboard this past weekend.

My reward is the compliments I get from people i know and complete strangers and I love how the clothes look on me even my gym gear. Have a good weekend everyone and don’t forget to eat right.

@goodhope3418

“I do tell myself “You can eat that tomorrow if you want”. ”

I’m exploring self talk in this other post.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/feed-fast-hiit-june-2014-♥%EF%B8%8F/#post-41291

I’m finding that the quality of the self talk (in moments of hunger while fasting) is in direction proportion to your fasting success, and eventually, your life success.

Hi everyone….just hot back online as I have been in bed with dreaded flu. Pls tell me thee are so many abbreviations that you guys use….I m too scared to even get the book cos I do not want to be defeated. I have been on almost every diet. Personal fist diet from dr Cohen…lost 20 put it right back 2 kgs a month. I think it was premenopausal. However I have read and hear you all. I really desperately need to loose weight. Does medication hAve an adverse effect to the diet….way of eating?
    Please can you tell me where can I buy the book. What all should I get…..seems there is more than one book out there.
    Thanks so much……..can’t wait to loose at least the first 10……
    Big Mamma

Hi Botswana how long have you been on the plan

There is the basic book:

The FastDiet: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, and Live Longer with the Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting by Mimi Spencer and Michael Mosley

This book came out just recently:
    Fast Beach Diet: The Super-Fast 6-Week Programme to Get You in Shape for Summer by Mimi Spencer

I like this cookbook:
    The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled Meals to Make Your Fasting Days Easy by Mimi Spencer

Finally, this exercise book
    FastExercise: The Simple Secret of High-Intensity Training

All are on Amazon.com

You should read on the pages on the site: thefastdiet.co.up to understand what folks are talking about. This forum is not enough to learn what you need to know.

Kyalami I m in links field…… Have you started. I need someone to do this with me…. So demotivated right now. All men at home…I m the only rose. They all in tip top condition but I have been in hospital a month ago and I m on medication. Does it still work with meds.
    Good luck. Do you know where your friend bought the book

Thank you Amy. Will go onto amazon but will hear what kyalami and good hope say as they in South Africa as I might just get it from a local bookstore but thank you very much.

Hi Big Mama

The books in Amy’s post are the ones to read….I got mine from kalahari.net. Easy to pay, you can do EFT or bank deposit so don’t need a credit card. I bought the e-books, they were much cheaper

Haven’t used the cook book much, too lazy and little time to shop! I just do the same thing on fast days, fish and salad for supper, water to drink, cups of tea. I skip breakfast and lunch though in the past I’ve done oats for breakfast and still lost weight. At lunch I just keep busy, don’t miss it.

Would prefer not to have to cook for everyone else on lean days….works better if I make extra the day before and give them left overs. I’ve never really been on a diet but would imagine it could be difficult if you had to follow a different eating plan to the rest of the family, day in and day out.

As for the meds..depends what they are. Some medicines need to be taken with food, e.g. anti-inflammatories, and they mean what they say, do NOT attempt to use them on an empty stomach. You can probably still do a fast day if you’re careful enough about timing your calorie allowance along with the medication.

But in general the advice seems to be to modify the FD if you’re unwell. And as has already been said, desperation to lose weight is probably not enough in itself to keep you in the FD lifestyle. It helps to read the science behind it and to remind yourself of all the other benefits, which soon become evident in any case. So what if we don’t get to be the perfect shape in a few short weeks and months (recalling that it took some of us DECADES to put the weight on in the first place). If we have energy, healthy skin and hair, a strong immune system (my whole family has had colds this past month…except me!!) and a realistic hope of slowly but surely improving body composition, for me that’s better than good enough.

Best of luck, check out the books, lots of sensible advice there from Michael and Mimi.

Sunny

Is Dr Moseley’s TV a regular and still run ing? When and where can it be viewed, plz?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply.