700/800 Cals instead of 500 – anyone want to try this?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
700/800 Cals instead of 500 – anyone want to try this?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• I’d just be interested to know if anyone has tried Michael Moseley’s new idea of 700/800 cals instead of 500 on fast days. Has anyone tried this yet and if so how’s it going for you? I’m struggling with 500 cal fasts so wondered if 700 maybe 3 times a week would be more sustainable.

Anybody with me on giving this a go?

Karen x

Hi I was of the understanding that the 700:800 cals was to get your body adjusted for the first couple of weeks but that’s only what I’ve been Told. is this not the case?? I could probably do with 600 on a fast day if I’m honest so this would be marvellous news!

Hello both,
    I am trying again with the 5:2 after a couple of years off & the main reason was I saw Dr M talking about how the 800 was as good in research data as 500/600.
    So we started that today. But would love to know what is the latest.

I think the article I read said what Annnursekirk said, that 800 is as good as 500 and had little difference of weight loss so I definitely think it’s worth a try to see how it goes.

I find 500 unachievable I drink too much tea – now with skimmed milk. Also spread my 500 over 2 meals. I have breakfast porridge or 2 weetabix with skimmed milk & cal controlled evening meal or salad. I’m managing to lose weight. Not really counting the extra milk but guess it must be pushing the cals up beyond 650!!! But if losing weight…..it’s working 🙂

Ive gone just over 800 cals for the day, may try to do similar tomorrow then have a none fast day on Saturday, Im hoping health benefits will be as good and calories cut will still result in weight loss. It seems to work for you TLC2 🙂

Hi all. This is interesting . Can anyone tell me where I will find this new 800 info from Michael Mosley? Is it a newspaper article or tv programme or online somewhere? Thanks in advance

Anonymous

I was able to find articles about this via Google.

Hi Shanie,

Here are links which explain Dr. Mosley’s 5:2 revision:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/12/good-news-dieters-52-relaxes-rules-allows-800-calories-day/

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/14/the-52-diet-has-relaxed-its-calorie-count-but-is-it-any-better-for-us-6507470/

Excerpts from above links: Now the diet’s creator, Dr Michael Mosley, has loosened the rules. But he insists his new version of the “Fast Diet” – which increases the limit to 800 calories on fasting days, is just as effective. “You don’t need to stick to 600 calories. Cutting down to 800 calories a day seems to be almost as effective and for some people much more ‘doable’.”

“It’s low calorie, without being superlow-calorie. And if you want to have lunch, you can slip those extra 200 calories in there.”

However, he said those thinking the regime would allow them to enjoy an unhealthy snack on fast days should think again.

Dr Mosley said “empty calories” should remain strictly off-limits on fasting days.

He told the Mail on Sunday: “If you are going to have lunch, have something like a nice bowl of hearty soup, or grilled fish and a decent pile of vegetables or salad.”

Hello all, 🌻🌼🌸

I started 800 cals about 2 weeks ago. I did it every day except Sat and Sun. Since April 1st, it is 800 cals every day. I will do this until April 16th. Then I travel to Europe for 6 weeks and will stick to 16:8.
    That said, I find 800 sustainable and I can stick with it. For me this is important because I normally cannot stick with a diet. It is not totally easy but doable. Also, as Dr. Mosley said, NO junk food, NO sugar. I follow a LCHF Mediterranean diet. Also, right now, I only allow a very small food window. I choose to break fast at 1PM and close the window at 4PM. Then the kitchen stays closed. I drink a lot all day long. Yesterday I drank about 100 oz.
    I lost about 3 pounds and hope to lose 3 more before traveling. My exercise is walking at least 10.000 steps a day, more is better, rain or shine. It helps to have a dog. 😊🐕😊
    In all, I really have a good experience so far with 800 cals a day. A WOL I can follow for a few weeks.
    If you are mindful on NFDs and stay below the TDEE of your TARGET weight, 800 cals on FDs should be fine. The fasting part is important. After 12 hours of fasting, the body starts to look at your fat deposits and also has more time for repairs. So 16 hours fasting is ideal.

Good luck🍀everyone on this new WOL! This is not a diet, it is a new way of life! 😊⚘😊⚘😊

Thanks

Thanks for the links and the information. I will have a look x

“Dr Mosley said “empty calories” should remain strictly off-limits on fasting days.”

So drinking tea with milk throughout the day (comes to 75-100 calories) is a no-no? Even if it never exceeds the 600 calories, 500 from an evening meal and 100 from tea all day?

Is fasting more complicated than I originally thought? Is consuming empty calories such as milk preventing the diet from working?

@saltywagyu: a splash of milk in tea is totally ok. This is my understanding. Milk is not empty calories anyway. Good luck and enjoy your tea!!! 😊😊😊

Depends how strict you want to be about fasting. I have about 3 cups of coffee with a splash of milk on my “water only” fast days. The coffee does not prevent me from entering ketosis at the 24 hour mark. I measure my ketones so this is not a guess on my part. Although I can pretty much tell when Ive entered ketosis without the ketone meter.

Perhaps I’ve become hard core but to me 600 calories is a lot of food if you are not eating junk. Before I started doing water fasts (black coffee in the morning) I ate one meal on FD and my plate was very full of non starchy veggies, lean protein and some good fats from avocado and olive oil. It was delicious, filling and satiating. I do time limited eating on NFD’s usually from 9-6PM and eat around 2200 calories. I’m 5’10” and weigh 170lbs

I used to drink coffee with milk and sugar. I found out that dairy was inflamatory for me so I cut that out. Then I gradually reduced the sugar over a week and now I like it black.

Now water fasts are no problem. I guess my body has adapted to burning fat and I don’t suffer at all from a 35 hour fast. I usually exercise on FD AM to speed getting into ketosis faster.

You can change your eating habits if you make changes gradually and stick with it

I’ve just been browsing through the active topics and came across this one about upping the 2 FAST DAY calories to 800.

I’ve tried the 500 5:2 and failed miserably. I upped my calories to 800 5 weeks ago, and am pleased to tell you all that I have lost TWO pounds, just shy of ONE kg, EVERY WEEK.

It’s so much more realistic and I have had no problem sticking to 800 calories. To compensate for the extra calories I have reduced my TDEE, which was 1800, to 1500 on NFDS.

My weekly calorie consumption works out as follows:

FDs 1600
    NFDs 7500
    Total 9100

An average of 1300 CALORIES/DAY

I do not do a huge amount of exercise, but enjoy a good brisk walk, and I do a 15 minute yoga routine each morning, oh and my two granddaughters keep me active! I am 65 and have hypothyroidism which has played havoc with my metabolism, but even so doing the 800 DEFINITELY WORKS.

Give it a try.

Hi SaltyWagyu, I think it depends how much your cups of tea matter to you. For me they are a deal breaker – if I can’t have cups of tea with the amount of milk I like I will not stick to the diet plan. In fact, for me the cups of tea are an easy substitute for a meal so they help. On a FD I allow myself up to 250ml milk, then I eat one low calorie meal at dinner time. If I really need it I sometimes have a small piece of fruit mid-afternoon. This works for me as I really enjoy my cups of tea and don’t feel deprived if I can have them – I usually make a pot of tea with my favourite tea leaves, tea cup and the milk jug at either lunch time or afternoon tea – then I can sit down and enjoy it and it feels more substantial and like it’s a treat.
    I also don’t have an appetite in the mornings so having dinner as my only meal works for me. If you do want to allocate calories to cups of tea on FDs you just need to make sure your other calories on food are low enough to stay under your chosen calories limit. I use low fat milk and allow 100 calories for it, leaving me 400 for food.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply.