500 or 400?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Miss Yoyo 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi,

I was doing 5:2 for a while at the end of last year but then I stopped and just didn’t pick it back up again.

One thing I really struggled with was knowing how many calories to eat on fast days (I tried a 36 hour fast and just couldn’t do it – so ate one meal in the evening of 500 cals). 500 is the number that is thrown around most as that is the general RDA quartered but on a few posts I saw people dividing their own TDEE by 4.

My TDEE according to this site is 1621 and a 1/4 of this is 405.25. So, should I be aiming for 405 or the generally accepted 500?

I know in the long run 95 calories wont matter but I like to play by the rules. If I’m not going to do it properly I wont do it at all ha-ha.

Thanks!

Hi Miss Yoyo … as you will see posted here many times, it’s what works for you. There is no hard and fast rule…..and no real ‘properly’.

Some people will tell you it’s 500, others will say 25% of your TDEE, others do zero calories on a fast day….. because they do what works best for them.

So I’d say the answer really is – set the level that works for you but don’t exceed 500 cals on fast days. Aim for your TDEE or less on non fast days but make sure it is above your BMR.

My TDEE is 1610 and I do 400 cal max on fast days because that’s what works for me.

That may not sound terribly helpful but that’s the beauty of this WOE. You try various combinations until you get what suits you best.

Good luck x

Hi Miss Yoyo

I agree with Sylvestra, and its what works for you in the end that’s important!

good luck and happy fasting! 🙂

Thank you both!

ok, I will maybe try 400 on one day and 500 another for a few weeks and see how I feel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.