5 months in and gaining weight!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
5 months in and gaining weight!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  heavens-hazzard 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi Guys

I’m a 47 yr old male and five months ago weighed 89kgs, needing to loose 12kgs (about two stone). First few months went good even over Christmas. I have got into the swing of fasting, headaches have gone, being hungry doesn’t bother me and finding I’m eating less food even when not fasting. This is quite an achievement given I really like my food!

I went down to 82.8kg two weeks ago after 4 1/2 months, weight loss had been steady not fast and over the last 1 month I had plateaued but kept going.

Now I’m feeling betting in myself and started to exercise more, walking, running and cycling a bit each week.

NOW I’VE PUT WEIGHT ON!!!

This morning I was back up to 84 kgs – what am I doing wrong?

I know muscle weighs more the fat, but I feel fatter, my trousers are tight again.

I’m thinking about going to 4:3 but am I missing something. My weight loss has been slow anyway.

@adrianjpeck – I have been reading the book “The Every Other Day Diet” by Krista Varady and she addresses weight gain back and how to avoid it. It’s a good read.

Hi Guys,

I am right now waiting for that book! Started 5-2 early Jan and I’ve lost about 7 pounds. I only want to lose another 5. However it’s not working anymore. I’ve read a lot about the every other dat diet and just started today. I think I may need more of the fast days. I also read that appetite and eating goes down with the alternate day method but will keep you posted. I just don’t think I could maintain this long term which makes me concerned.

Can we stay in touch?

@desperate but driven – Intermittent fasting, whichever variation of it you chose, can work for the long term. It is a mind set for sure, but it can be part of an active, healthy life.

Hi Desperate,

I’ve been doing 4:3 (MWF) since I started the 5:2 diet 🙂

I will admit Monday’s and Wednesdays have gotten pretty easy, Fridays are more of a challenge. If I end up at 600 calories on a Friday, I don’t worry about it.

I am finding that now when I eat normal size meals I feel overly full. Also, MWF fasting allows me to be relaxed about the weekend. I prefer this to ADF.

Hi Virginiaedie,

So basically you are doing EOD except that you do the one extra feed day. 2 questions if u may. How much weight have you lost over how much time? And also do you pretty much eat what you want on feed days? Any restrictions? Just read EOD last night. Alternate fasting seems tough but think I may have hit my limit on 5-2. Going to give this a try. 🙂

Hiya Desperate,
    I have lost 7 to 8 pounds over the course of 10 weeks. I do tend to eat what I want on the nonfast days,which is why I am very happy to fast again the next day. But, this past weekend I was finding my body just wasn’t liking bigger meals. I felt so overly full by the end of the day.
    Now, I do have to admit, my diet is pretty healthy to begin with. I eat mostly meat, fruit, vegetables, a little rice or rice pasta thrown in (I am gluten intolerant and allergic to dairy), and nuts. I also enjoy chocolate. I think my nonfast day trouble is I do like sweets and I know I can have them if I so choose, and yes, I usually so choose 🙂 But again, I’m finding my body isn’t liking them as much either. Oh, I still like the taste, but I feel overly full afterwards.
    I’m 49 and I’m sure part of the slow weight loss is hormonal. I really only see my weight drop for the two weeks between the time I ovulate until my period begins. I’m also only three pounds away from my goal. Now, if I happen to lose a few pounds beyond my goal, I certainly won’t complain. I have a feeling my weight loss may pick up a little now that my body’s response to food seems to be shifting.
    I hope this helps. If you don’t mind my asking, what do you eat on your nonfast days?

hi VirginiaEdie,

I am 46. I had my ovaries taken out last year so that put me into menopause technically although I don’t feel that different. In general, I am a fairly healthy eater. Lots of veggies, fruits, I LOVE whole grain breads! although try not to eat too much. I also love popcorn and salty things. I’m not such a huge sweet eater although once in awhile I end up picking at things my kids are eating. Yesterday was a non fast day. I had fruit and cottage cheese with a mini chia bagel for breakfast. Half of a turkey wrap for lunch with some popcorn chips. Also at frozen yogurt and a cheeseburger last night! was a big eating day because it was mother’s day. I wouldn’t normally eat a cheeseburger! especially with bun but I am trying not to get obsessed because Dr. Varady says it’s ok:) When I was doing 5-2 I was very careful most of the time on my non fast days. however, if I am now doing alternate fasting days I will be more liberal on eating days but still try and stay at 1700 which is my TDEE. Today is my fast day so I am only going to try and have liquids until dinner. although I have a pilates class this evening. I am hungry now at its only 10:45 am! I really want this to work. My issue is that I have so many breakfasts, lunches, and events. it’s tricky. I think the best when I have work conflicts on fast days is just to have coffee at breakfast and eat salads with protein for lunches…and have an apple at night if I’m starved! any tips you can provide are appreciated! we seem to be in a similar place in terms of weight, age , etc…so nice to connect.:)

Yeah, we really can’t go by what we ate on Mother’s Day can we.

It doesn’t seem like what you eat is that unreasonable. I have found over the years that my body really doesn’t like grains, even oatmeal. A few years ago I discovered oat bran. It tastes good, is 140 calories for quite a ,argue portion and full of fiber. I thought, “how can I go wrong?” Well, even though I was really watching my intake at the time and counting calories, I started gaining weight. It was so disheartening. As soon as I stopped eating the oat bran, I stopped the weight gain.

Also, one of the many problems I get from gluten containing foods is bloating. Maybe you should try cutting back on gluten? An acquaintance of mine recently cut way back on gluten and that has helped out with some digestive issues she’s been having and she started loosing weight.

And yes, it is. Ice to connect with women the same age. The friends that I have my age would never think of trying the 5:2 diet.

you know if I could do well with an ALL GLUTEN AND CARB DIET I would be in heaven! I like salads but truth be told there is something so satisfying for me with carbs! I am now really minimizing but can not cut out completely because I will lose my mind and won’t stick to it. The one thing that has helped is these chia bagels that I discovered! You can only get in the US on Amazon but they are amazing! 80 calories, only 7 grams of carbs and 11 grams of protein! very satisfying with a laughing cow wedge! that’s my 100 calorie snack…

Wow! I just noticed all the typos in my last post. Sorry about that.

Those chia bagels sound amazing. I’ll have to check their ingredient list.

Take care.

Out of interest, are you following your TDEE? It is more or less a sure fire way to loose if you are strict with it. X

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.