31 days of July 2022 – One day at a time monthly challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 days of July 2022 – One day at a time monthly challenge

This topic contains 338 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 346 total)

• Welcome to the July 2022 monthly challenge. I chose this forum’s title deliberately – July is only 31 days long. If you’re a newbie, a 5:2 steady pacer, a FD part-timer, or a maintainer you can do this for 31 days; one day at a time!

I’m your host for this month (which means nothing more onerous than creating this forum and checking in) but the success of this forum and your success with 5:2 is down to you. Having said that, this forum has been a huge help to many of us – it is a genuinely positive, friendly, engaging and supportive group of people from around the world. Not only can you share experiences, get advice and encouragement, but we also learn lots of fascinating things about the world as we share stories and our lives together. But don’t worry – you can post as much or as little as you wish. The only “rule” in this forum is not to use the F-word (and in this case, the F-word is “fail” – never to be repeated!)

The monthly challenge was started by @coda in May 2016 and has been growing strong ever since. Here’s how it works:

1. In your first post, introduce yourself to the group – helps us to get to know each other, especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share what you are comfortable sharing.

2. Spreadsheet – @at is going to post this month’s spreadsheet below. It’s in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. But you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to.

3. Posting – Start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting etc. For example, I’ll start (on 1 July) with Day 1 Aus, NFD

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you‘re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post eg Day 1 second post.

5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity.

7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket, knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF.

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

As this month’s host, I will read every post but I am bad at checking in over the weekend, so apologies if I miss a question or fail to comment on a post. If I miss it, I know someone else will step in. That’s what’s great about our little community.
    And by way of translation, we use a lot of abbreviations. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:

16:8 – 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Fast Day (a FD below your goal weight TDEE, whatever that is!!!)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days. Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!………………or Sexy!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

See you on day 1!!

@penz – I’m in for July – need to re focus!

Here is the link to the spreadsheet for those who want to use is
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UnH55TCHWMvTae1v2whD9817Cd-76rXMMEEZIO8yQPU/edit?usp=sharing

Hello all!

Thank you @at for the spreadsheet.

To any newbies who join us this month, I thought I’d introduce myself. I’m an Aussie, living in nation’s capital. The radio weather man seems to take great delight at the moment in announcing the overnight temperature (in minus degrees C) and the even lower apparent temperature. I hate the cold so I am most envious of our northern hemispherites at this time of year.

I’m married, with 2 blue Australian Cattle Dogs. I’m a naturally lazy person so having a pair of high energy working dogs is just what I need to get my moving in the morning.

I’ve been dabbling with 5:2 for about 5 years now. And dabbling is the honest word for it. When I stick to the plan – 5 days of sensible eating and 2 days of fasting – it works. I lose weight. Whodathunk! But I’ve never stuck with it long enough to become a truly ingrained habit and enter maintenance. I get complacent, and the weight creeps back up.

I have a milestone birthday next year and I am determined to look and feel glamorous. Therefore, I need to knuckle down and properly commit to this way of life. I need to commit to me! I am going to do Dry July as a way to kick start my way into healthy habits. I do like my gin and red wine so it will be a struggle. But I know with the wonderful support of this group, you will help me cling on to that wagon with everything I’ve got!

I look forward to re-acquainting with old friends, meeting new ones and continuing this fabulous group with the June crowd.

Day-01 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@penz – thanks again for offering to be our host, & thank you @at for the spreadsheet 🙂

Day 0 – USA/GA

I’m in for July, too!

@penz – thank you for taking the helm for July! I’ll be here as I am able! Haven’t really missed a challenge since May 2016!

Day 0

I’m a WOCA who lost 50+ pounds in the past year. Wow that sounds like a lot – but was a mostly a steady 4-6 lb a month. 5:2 500 was the key, and now that I’m more or less maintenance I have transitioned to 5:2 800. I also pretty strictly keep to 16:8 ZBC on non fast days, easy for me because I’m almost never hungry in the morning. I loosely watch the calories, pay lots of attention to protein and fiber intake, do not eschew fat, and have tried to eliminate processed carbs unless it is a homemade treat. My somewhat stable current weight is 128.5 – pretty much middle of BMI range for my height.

Exercise has been a key component as I’m working to be as healthy as possible. 20 -30 minutes cardio daily (hula hoop or exercise bike – walk if weather allows, but it doesn’t during the summer) and twice a week strength training.

I’m a photographer, an original geek gal, and have recently learned I very much enjoy cooking. The support of the board members here has been wonderfully helpful and a key part of working toward my healthy goals.

Many thanks to @penz for hosting.

Day 1, NFD, Aus

It’s the start of the month, and half way through the year. Time to check in, commit, and say hello.

It’s day one of Dry July for me too and I have to say I’m looking forward to the challenge. This is something I can get my teeth into and throw my won’t power at it.

A question to start off with: what will you achieve this month? For me, it’s successfully doing Dry July. Not a tipple for 31 days!

Day 1 country west Australia NFD 85 kgs.
    Hopefully back and able to stay with posting for accountability and reading others’ journeys.
    Last few months have been a nightmare with computer hacked, lost phone, you name it technology whacked me with it!!!
    Supposedly all sorted now.🤞
    Have spent so much tie at Apple Bar and talking with Apple support that I do feel as though I know all the Apple technicians by name !!!
    Been Han ing around 5:2 since November 2016.
    Did very well initially, got healthier, watched portion sizes, adhered to 5:2 with 2 good fast days etc etc, lost weight.😇
    Got on a plateau, Fell off the wagon and rolled my rather considerably larger form 😳😳down the road, round the corner and out of sight.
    Dallied with 5:2 for a few years.
    Jumped ( well more heaved my bulk on to the edge of the wagon nearly dislodging everyone else!!) 😱earlier this year. Was doing OK.
    Got Covid, lost weight, resumed poor eating habits, lost focus, made a myriad excuses, computer problems, no posting, no accountability, yada, yada, yada. 🙄🙄
    Now determined to finish the second half of the year better than the first half.🤔
    Hi to all the oldies; welcome to all the newbies.
    Here’s to a good next 31 days.😁
    Plan for July – just to get right back to basics , 5:2 as I originally started, lose 3 kgs, exercise more and see how that goes…… 🤞

Day 0 Ohio, US

Please count me for all 31 days!

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Anyone else having problems posting. I’m getting: ‘Error:Duplicate reply detected, it looks as though you’ve already said that!’ But the post isn’t there 🤔

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

About me:- David, 60. Originally from Manchester in the UK, living in Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, on the east coast of South Africa. I’ve been fasting on & off since 2014. I got serious with fasting after I retired in 2018 & realised I was gaining weight & turning into a couch potato. I’ve been more or less maintaining for quite a while now, with the occasional holiday/festive season glitches. I now follow TRE, seldom eating before noon. I do mostly 5:2 & I don’t eat before 6 pm on fast days. Occasionally if I feel my resolve waning I’ll re-watch Dr Mosley’s ‘Eat Fast & Live Longer’ documentary, to remind myself that fasting isn’t just about weight loss/maintenance, but it can maintain & improve our health in numerous ways.

@penz – what will I achieve this month? I’m not really looking to achieve anything, but I’m wanting to retain my sanity during my relocation challenge. But I suppose starting a new life in a new province where I know very few people will be an achievement for me!

Sending everyone RESOLVE for the July Challenge! 💪

Day 1 UK NFD

Hi all , I’m a WOCA living in Brighton , south coast of England with DH , Been taking off and putting back on the same 20lbs most of my adult life , with varying degrees of success. 5 2 works for me when I knuckle down .Given myself a stern talking to and I mean business this month , thanks for guiding us @penz . Looking forward to it 💪

Day 01 -Friday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – (NFD)🌞⭐🌞🌸🏵🌼🌻🌺

For the newbies, I started my mission on 1st February to lose overall 10-11 kg (the 11th kg is for wriggle room!) by Easter…. but didn’t quite make it. However, reached my goal on 17th June and very happy about it too! That’s 19 weeks & 3 days by following 5:2 Mondays & Thursdays and rigidly keeping to the plan. Since then I’ve happily dropped another kilo to give some wriggle room on the WOL maintenance plan.

I’ve actually done the 5:2 in 2019 and successfully lost 11 kg in 11 weeks, maintained for a year and then failed to follow through with the 6:1 maintenance WOL. Silly me because 6:1 just isn’t that hard but you obviously need to stick with it. The upshot was the fat just came back…. it’s not rocket science and totally my own fault.
    I am a lady of a certain age (WOCA or I prefer LOCA 🥰), still working, newly single again and rebuilding my life after some significant changes. In February I set myself some REWARDS to inspire my RESOLVE to a) stick rigidly to the 5:2 IF until I met my goal, and, b) NO ALCOHOL until I met my goal and then review my relationship with alcohol at that time. In truth, after 5 months, I actually no longer miss the wine at all but do see that I might imbibe (only) socially in time to come. My REWARD for these efforts are a) NEW HAIRSTYLE b) update my wardrobe c) a TRIP somewhere, anywhere (probably a walking holiday). So far I have achieved the first reward.. a new hairstyle and am working on the next two.

There are 187 days left in 2022 and I am RESOLVED to maintain my new ATL weight to ring in 2023! 🔔🔔🔔. But first, there are 31 days in July to set my RESOLVE to stay the course and this forum is the best support ever to do just that.

If you are new to this forum, I can assure you will find all the support and advice to assist you…. and such a friendly bunch of guys and gals too.😊🥰
    @penz.. thanks for hosting this month… You won’t have any problems with Dry July…. same as FDs, just make sure you have some alternatives at the ready. You can do it! I’m feeling for you with the wintry temps down there… wow that’s cold! I have a dear friend in Canberra and her daughter is marrying in July….. oooooh! ❄❄❄
    @lilymartin… wonderful to have you jumping back in. I hear your pain with the computers & technology… you can’t live with ’em and you can’t live without ’em! 😝😝😜
    @at… good to see you here too.. thanks for the spreadsheet set-up… it really does help😃😄😃
    @mariaelena… don’t underestimate yourself, it is a lot and no mean feat!🌻🌻🌼🌺 Congratulations! 🥇🏆 You have nailed it and you are such a testament to 5:2. I’m following in your footsteps!🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️ I’m hoping by end of July I can go to FD800 as well.
    @funshipfreddie,@matpi,@NorthGeorgia,@SongBirdMe, @brightonbelle so good to see you all here today and the others no doubt will be along any minute 🌸🏵💐🌻🌺
    @michelinme not here yet, but hey, thanks for last month’s big hosting effort with nearly 400 posts! and it was so great to be part of JUMP IN JUNE!

cheerie dearies

Everything is permitted but not everything is beneficial 😛😜😛

Day 1 UK CD

Thanks @penz for hosting July – I’m in!

Brief intro: I’m f57 who put on weight due to health issues limiting mobility/energy, stopping smoking and menopause. I started 5:2 in Dec 2017 weighing 178lb and lost 35lbs over the next 9 months, shrinking 3 clothes sizes but never quite reaching my goal. I stayed fairly steady for a couple of years until I fell off the waggon just before pandemic.

I caught covid in Feb 2020 and have had long covid ever since, inc ME fatigue making me largely housebound, POTS, hypertension, peripheral neuropathy, cognitive impairment and digestive issues. I recovered to about 60% by April 2022 and restarted 5:2 on 27 May weighing 189lb/85.72kg, hosting the Jump In June! challenge for extra motivation. This morning my weight is 180lb/81.65kg: I’ve also lost 1.1 from my BMI and shrunk my fat suit by 2″ bust, 1″waist and 0.5″ hips. This WOL works!

I’ve also started on a supplement routine which was developed by Cambridge University medics to address long covid fatigue and that’s working really well for me. It’s the busiest time I’ve had in years and I’m not falling off the waggon or getting wiped out – win / win / win 🙂

I don’t eat breakfast and try to eat between 12-8pm tho sometimes supper slips. I rarely drink alcohol bc it really doesn’t work with medication, hypertension, fatigue or cognition. I don’t eat gluten or grains bc joint & gut pain. After 30 years vegetarian I had a vegan year but ate too much junk food and lacked key nutrients; now I’m a vegan who eats eggs – or a veggie who doesn’t eat dairy! I love cooking from scratch and find I eat even more veg on 5:2.

My July goals are to get under 80kg /175lb, drink more water and do gently daily stretches for 10 mins every other day. I’m away at a super busy conference for one week then going straight to stay w DD for 2 weeks after her surgery. I’ll switch my FDs to travel days when I’ve got more control and can just have OMAD supper. The challenge will be not to eat insta food or succumb to sugar for energy during long days on campus, nor to comfort eat when with DD.

@lilymartin lovely to see you again – look forward to cheering each other down the road
    @linda.b love your post and your quotes always encourage me 🙂
    @at thank you for the spreadsheet. And great to have you here again, we missed you x

Time to crack on! I’ve had a lovely lazy morning after a full on week. Now to top up clean spare room for my lovely friend staying tonight, make a gf loaf for Sunday’s community gatherine, wash – maybe colour – hair ahead of big service tomorrow and get a couple of hours’ project work done so I can enjoy lovely gardening time later this afternoon before my friend arrives. So looking forward to journeying with you all in the 31 days of July, one day at a time…

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 213 lbs. ZBC this morning. Probably not OMAD today, but TRE this afternoon/evening is likely.

I am a 47 y/o male in northeast Georgia who started a serious weight-loss journey at the start of the pandemic. After losing a little weight, I was worried this would play out as it had over the past ten years or so: lose ten pounds, gain twenty. So, after I bottomed out losing my ten pounds, I searched the internet for new ideas and discovered 5:2. Keeping 5:2 as my base practice with some variation over these past two years (TRE, water fasting, OMAD, principles promoted by Jason Fung, etc.), I have lost around 70 lbs. In April/May, I did gain about 5 lbs back, but am back on track to get those numbers back down.

Because of the upward trend, my weight moved away from my goal of 206. I am determined to meet that goal in July, as I did hit 208 lbs last month. My max and min weights in June were 2 lbs lighter than in May, so I think I’m in the right direction.

Hello from Northern VA. I have rejoined the 5-2 way of eating this year, but then drifted, but am back on track the past ten days. Thank you, Penz, for hosting. I am fasting on Sundays and Thursdays, because of my work schedule, these days seem the best. Looking forward to a successful July. For me, that would be a 5# loss by the end of the month. Best to everybody.

USA. Day 1

I just accidentally wrote my July message on the June chain! Anyway, thank you Penz for agreeing to usher us through July! You are much appreciated.

My July is a continuation of using FDs to maintain my goal weight, which is 110 lbs. It was long in coming so I intend to tread carefully! LOL

I wish everyone every success in July! 🙂

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

I’m a 63yo female living in a village about the same distance from Omaha and Lincoln, so chatter about them lots. I’m married and have three grown kids and two granddaughters. I like to stay busy, and do, but never mention the long stretches I spend playing solitaire on my laptop, so don’t think I’m a paragon of always-moving virtue.

I used to weigh 112 with a BMI of 18.5–no wonder everyone thought I was way too skinny, although I felt terrific. Then I maintained 132 for years. Then two across-states moves and a major change in life shot me up to 165, not once, but three times. I’ve been down to 137 twice, but never to stay, and in June I gained back about 10 of the 25 pounds I’d lost. Thankfully, I’ve caught myself and am entirely back on the wagon.

I quit eating breakfast when I was a senior in high school, and find it the best approach to life for me: not only is the thought of food repulsive to me in the morning, but I’ve found that when I eat breakfast, I eat more at lunch and at supper, and in between.

I weighed 147.8 this morning, so I’m making some progress down from the high of 154 a week or so ago–but keep in mind, that’s not actually 7 pounds because my weight bounces like a ball. Later on the day I weighed 154, I was down to 152… My goal is to get to 137 and then reassess. I suspect I’ll want to hit at least 132, and may decide on 125.

But for now, I simply want to eat to plan each day. I never set weight goals because while I can entirely control what I eat–not easily, mind you, but it IS within my power to do so–I cannot control what the scale does. So my desire for July is to get down to 141, but my plan for July is a straight up 5:2 plus a WF on Tuesday or perhaps a third FD on Tuesday (for those who don’t know, I teach piano in Omaha on those days and it’s simple not to eat…on Tuesdays only, LOL). The other days must be better behaved than they’ve been in the past, so I’m really working on my thoughts so I can manage those days with good behavior.

Day 01 – 16:8 CD

As we often do in long weekends, we have some cooking plans, and we will also be making some homemade ice cream. While I might wish sometimes our plans were other than food centric, we really do enjoy working together in the kitchen and I know we will have fun. I plan for these kitchen forays by making a strict plan on what and when I eat this weekend.

Other than that, we got our yard chores done last weekend, have shopped for the food items we need so we have a glorious open weekend with no obligations. I’ll fit in my exercise but relax and enjoy each other and 3 lazy sleep in mornings is all we plan to do 😀

@penz I have given some serious thought to what do I want to achieve in July and … I don’t actually know besides staying on track. Now I know that is not a small thing, (weight maintenance, keeping up with exercise and health aims) but it does feel like a bit of an underachieving goal. 🤷🏽‍♀️

@michelleinme I avoid wheat/gluten to a great extent. I have no medical diagnosis but I just don’t feel good when I have a lot of it, and my digestion is much better without much of it in my diet. (But I’ll always miss crackers.) Although I’m not vegan or vegetarian it sounds like I am mostly eating similarly to you, except for my chicken. Even what was occasional beef & veg stew is out right now because of the expense. With my egg allergy, I try to source a lot of different protein sources and veg, beans, nuts and seeds are the mainstays of my eating. I plan to do a big lentil/bean & veg with chia seed and flaxseed soup/stew cook to freeze portions this weekend. Honestly that sounds dull but it is quite tasty and wonderful for a quick FD reheated meal.

@excelsior12309 Hi and you made me wonder… I also have a couple of set days for FD – mine are M &W. How many here have regular days and how many are more flexible?

Got a cranky cat head bumping my arms and hands, so I’m gonna sign off and see it there is a reason for his cranky cat wails! Hope he is just hungry…

Have a good weekend all, and if you have a long one this weekend like us, enjoy!

Day 1 Melb Aust NFD

Hi @penz, I’m “in” for July. I started June with a leap and then non-communicating crash so I’ll be more diligent in July. Haven’t weighed in yet, but I think I gained around 1 kg during June which has to come off in addition to a July loss (sigh!).

About me – an older than WOCA female who has yo-yoed with weight for most of my adult life. I’d like to live my final few decades comfortably slim so I WILL DO IT! RESOLVE! For this second half of the year I plan to use the spreadsheet more diligently as a marker of progress. Together we are stronger 🙂

Day 1, NFD, Scotland

Hi everyone, Im jumping into July, my second month here. Not fasting until Monday. Plan for the weekend is firmly no takeaway food! And get to Asda on Sunday and have my fast day meals organised.

Day 1 – UK – FD800

A bit late logging on but I was out of the house early this morning to drive for an hour to meet up with DD on her dog walking morning – started with a beagle meet on Silecroft beach before doing another 3 walks – It was lovely to catch up and then we had a light lunch sitting out in the sunshine before I drove back home.

I forgot to weigh myself this morning but will brave the scales tomorrow 🫣 and see what damage was caused by my out of control June…….

A bit about myself:-
    I am a 63y.o. soon to be 64y.o. female living with my OH in the beautiful Lake District ⛰ having moved here when I retired in 2013. We have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 black 🐈‍⬛ and an adorable beagle called Archie 🐶
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I had gained weight during the last couple of years at work and was fed up with being overweight and wanted to enjoy my early retirement and get fitter!
    I discovered and joined the 30 Day November 2016 Challenge with @back2thefuture – best thing I ever did, as it got me to my maintenance weight and has kept me motivated and on track with this WOL! Last December was my 5th anniversary in maintenance! – Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs. Height = 164cm
    My maintenance range since then has been around 56-58kg – I’m fairly fit, doing 5 exercise classes during the week (yoga x2, pilates x1 and aerobic x2) and I also enjoy walking/hiking at least 3 times each week

The last 6 months have been a struggle with maintenance – I could put up a lot of excuses but I know that there has been a couple of dragons 🐉 lurking and responsible – namely the carbs 🐉 and wine 🐉

Made Milli Taylor’s brown butter banana bread recipe this evening and it has just come out of the oven, it’s one of our favourite versions – now to stay strong and avoid any until tomorrow 🤞 OH can’t wait for it to cool down enough so he can have the first slice!! I am telling myself that I will have my slice tomorrow and will enjoy even more……..

This month I am reminding myself that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – Ireland – NFD 🚶🏻‍♀️
    161lbs

Oh I do love a new start 🎉
    Thanks @penz for hosting the July challenge!

Last month I committed to:
    Reach 157lbs – didn’t do that ❌
    Two FDs a week – nope ❌
    Exercise every day for an hour or more… I did that…. Most days… 🚶🏻‍♀️
    Have alcohol only when I had a real reason to celebrate, like birthdays or such and did that but there were lots of occasions in June 🙃😂🚫
    Reduce consumption of sugars & carbs…didnt go too well ✅

I revised my ideal weight (155 lbs) a few months ago but with a holiday in July I may not get there but hope to see 155lbs by end August ⬇️ 💪

Lovely meal last night and delicious curry tonight with a little drink or two 🍹.

Posting late but trying to keep up the habit of daily posting.

I hope you’ve all had a lovely day and wishing everyone the very best this month.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

I’m Gwynne, 74y.o. woman, live in rural northwestern Illinois with my DH of 53 years. Four grown children in faraway places, 5 granddaughters all teens or early 20’s. Retired school music teacher who is content to do volunteering and on the board of our local Children’s Museum and president of our local Choral Society. They keep me plenty busy. I enjoy Trivia and Word games. I do my best to make it to Silver Sneakers 3x a week, but our location is in a big indoor tennis center, and it is pretty hot in there even at 9 a.m.

I began 5:2 in March 2016 then joined @coda in May with these challenges. I was pushing 200# (90kg) and knew for health and happiness I needed to lose. Lost 40# (down to 72.5kg) over the next 9-10 months. I’ve pretty much maintained that since then doing 6:1 often OMAD. For ‘wrinkle control’ I am happy to have a little fat with my BMI just into “normal” if there is such a thing.

I love salt. Can pass up chocolate more than vanilla.

This WOL really works for any newbies who might be skeptical. Give it all the effort you are able!

Onward and downward.

Day 1 Ohio, US — FD800

Snacked a little too much last night, so I decided to fast today. The foods on the “low-fiber” diet also make potent snacks. What I ate very sparsely when my system was feeling poorly, can lead to out-of-control eating when used for snacks. Fortunately not much of that remains and after today’s reset it will be back to my usual diet tomorrow. Usual diet: ovo-lacto vegetarian whole foods

Brief history: I am a retired teacher. I participated in this forum for a few years and then went away the summer of 2020. In March of this year I returned and have been enjoying the great community here. I’m starting out this month at 181.6 lb (82.4 kg). My short term goal is to get to below 180 lbs (81.6 kg) and the mid-range goal is to get below 175 lb (79.4 kg). I would be happy with losing more, but this seems like a reasonable goal for now.

@penz Thanks for hosting this month!

@mariaelena My FD’s are Mondays and Thursdays, although this coming Monday is a big holiday, so I’m not sure that I’ll be fasting for it.

@michelinme Quite some time ago I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, also known (among other names) as post-viral fatigue syndrome. So things that help with long Covid are of interest to me. Do you have a website for the Cambridge University medics supplement advice?

Have a great weekend all!

Pocketlist Day 1

@at
    @matpi

Day 2, NFD, Aus

Yay!! My first Friday in … let’s be honest here … YEARS where I abstained from a drink. I realised my habit is to open a bottle after the usual round of getting-home-from-work-chores. Once I got through that moment, it was easy.

How was everyone else’s Day 1?

@linda.b – always nice to see another Southern Hemispherite early poster on the same day as me. I am mentally adding to your planned achievements this year to stay tech-functional! We will have to add LOCA to our list of acronyms. I hope your friend’s daughter is getting married in a warmer location than Canberra.

@funshipfreddie – they say that moving house is up there was one of the most stressful things in life so your goal to retain your sanity may be quite a challenge.

You and me both @brightonbelle – THIS is the month!

I’ve not heard of the Cambridge supplement routine, @michelinme, but so glad to read it’s working for you. Go and have a glass of water while you read this post!

Hi @northgeorgia, will we see the return of Lola and co this month?

Hello @excelsior12309 – your handle is familiar! Welcome back. I’ll join you on Thursday FDs.

Good to see you too @ccco.

Great starting weight @stitcincarol, even if it does go up and down, it’s a nice psychological low to kick off the month.

As you say, @mariaelena – staying on track is no small goal. And not underachieving at all! Look at everything you’ve accomplished – and added to your routine. I’m looking forward to hearing how your new weight training regime progresses.

Hi @betsylee – another LOCA!

What is Asda @goal10kg?

Oooh another delicious sounding recipe @at. Will have to look that one up. How was your resolve? Did you wait until the next day to try a slice?

@jaifaim – looks like you DID have some successes last month; impressive because you had that trip away.

@songbirdme. Huh. I don’t think I knew before that you loved salt!

@matpi – having a short-term and mid-range goal is such a good idea.

I promised myself I’d start getting my paperwork in order for the end of the financial year, so I better go do that. Have a great weekend everyone!

Day 02 -Saturday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – (NFD)🌞⭐🌞🌸🏵🌼🌻🌺

@michelinme… you are so busy and yet so very focussed and on track despite the hiccups along the way, medal for you! 🥇🏆 …. I just know you will break through your next barrier in July, and then the next and then the next! That conference does sound like it will be very busy but you’ll manage it as you look after yourself, you have a plan and you have mastered the art of pacing yourself through life! 👣👣👣🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

@mariaelena – my FUN DAYS (FD) are Monday and Thursdays.. why? allows me flexibility if something interrupts, so can just roll FUN DAY onto the next day instead when necessary. Hope the 🍦🍨🍦 turns out well… I had forgotten that you are in summer (we are in winter) so it seemed odd when I first read it! 😂🤣

@stitchincarol.. you have a plan …. nothing happens without a plan, right? You have the RESOLVE and you are well and truly on your way this month. See you on the pocket-lists! 🤩🤩🤩 BTW…Was it you who introduced us to the big RESOLVE word a few months back and banning the word HOPE because hope is just a wish without a plan? 🤔🤔 … we all have RESOLVE by the tubful for July 🛁🛁🛁

@penz — go girl! Dry July is ON!🔔🔔🔔 No, my Canberra friend’s daughter is marrying in Canberra…. brrrrr!🌡🌡🌡❄❄❄

Enough for today

cheerie dearies💐💐💐bouquets to everyone!

If the plan doesn’t work, change the plan, but never change the goal💡💡💡

Day 2 – UK – NFD

Braved the scales this morning 59.7kg – not as bad as I thought but need to lose 2-3kg to be back in my happy place…..

@penz – Yes happy to report that my mojo held strong 💪 last night and I made do with a cup of tea whilst OH ate not 1 but 2 big slices of the BBBB (Burnt butter Banana Bread) 🤣 and I came in under 800cals for the day
    @lilymartin – your “Plan for July – just to get right back to basics , 5:2 as I originally started, lose 3 kgs, exercise more and see how that goes…… 🤞” sounds just like mine so TOGETHER WE CAN DO THIS
    @excelsior12309 – welcome back – these monthly challenges are what keeps me motivated and mostly on target
    @stitchincarol – I am so like you with regards to eating breakfast hence why I have been a long term abstainer too – ZBC member
    @mariaelena – I used to stick to regular FDs too but with time I have become more flexible and although these days Mondays and Thursdays work well, I flex depending on social commitments
    @goal10kg – good to see you in for a 2nd month – stick with the plan
    @matpi – thanks for adding me to the pocket list yesterday – it must have been what kept me away from my baking effort whilst OH indulged 🙏

The weekend will be the test….aiming to stay just below TDEE on my NFDs which is only just above 1500cals (I work mine out as only lightly active for my activity level to give me some extra leeway) MFP 😇 will need to be my friend this month if I’m to get back to my maintenance range

This month I am reminding myself that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 2 – Ireland – NFD ✅ 🚫🚶🏻‍♀️

Hi all. Up and out for a long spin today – the weather is beautiful.
    @michelinme and @matpi I’m also really interested in the Cambridge study I have Sarcoidosis affecting my lungs and kidneys over 20 years so literally just had a recent chat with my consultants about the benefits of the research as these studies can only benefit all sufferers of lung disease in the long term.
    I’m so glad that the supplement is working for you @michelinme and would love to know what’s in the magic elixir! Wishing you a swift recovery from Long Covid as I know you have other long term health issues.

Will catch up on other news later.

Have a lovely day!
    Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 2 UK NFD

OK my Friday didn’t go entirely to plan , but I did get a 10 mile walk in so not all bad. I know I need to change my weekend habits so I’m setting myself incremental targets 💪

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Just been speed-reading through the posts. There seems to be so many all of a sudden?

@penz – my Day 1 went splendidly; fish & chips & a margarita by the sea! 😋 Apologies to anyone on a FD 🤐
    Moving is definitely one of the most stressful things in life, & this is my 4th move in 3 years, so my sanity may well have already left the building 🥴️ You asked someone ‘what is Asda’? It’s a supermarket chain in the UK. I think it’s owned by the same people who own Walmart in the USA.

@lilymartin – sorry to hear about your techno-woes. I can imagine the nightmare you’ve been through. I’ve just had a hectic time trying to submit a payment to SARS (South African Revenue Service) After actually making an appointment & going to their offices, I still couldn’t get it sorted out. I tried to do it over the phone the other day. A voice told me, ‘you are number 221 in the queue. Please hold, or press 2 to get a call back’. So I pressed 2. My phone rang 7 hours later, but I couldn’t hear anyone?! So I just had to hang up. My phone rang again a few minutes later, & the same thing, just silence. I don’t know if anyone could hear me. So I had to start all over again the next day 😢

Happy weekend y’all, especially to those celebrating 🇨🇦 Canada Day & Independence Day on Monday 🇺🇸

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 214 lbs. Well, the year started out well, then I gained a bit and have just plateaued for months on end LOL Holiday weekend — if there are burgers today then the fasting is tomorrow 🙂

My new strategy for this month is to really just do a simple 2 day fast per week, and if I want to do anything more, an OMAD or two added in. I want to save heavy carb meals in the evenings for special occasions even on regular NFDs, refrain from snacking, and up my water intake during this sweltering month. Today, I’ve just finished a ZBC.

@penz I think Lola and Wesley are around here somewhere… Let me see if they will soon share what they’ve been up to 🙂

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

I was awake at 7:30 and out the door by 8:00 to start working on a garden project; DH helped with lots of it–including a run to town to get more supplies–and it’s done. Now I’ve made a list of all I must accomplish today to compensate for how much time I spent on the sofa this past week, and it’s a DOOZY. No idea if it’s even possible to accomplish it all.

Last night was a party for the Fourth and I overate, but not hideously, so my plan is that I’ll eat minimally today to compensate for yesterday, and for tomorrow and for Monday. Tomorrow we’ll go down to DSs’ house in Lincoln and help with landscaping projects and we have a lovely meal planned; Monday, we’ll go to Seward, Nebraska, for the Fourth of July celebration there and then drive an hour north to our friends’ lake cabin and then a half hour east to get home. Your head spinning yet??? 🤣🤣🤣 There will be gyros and beer and funnel cakes in Seward and then all sorts of yummies at the lake, so eating minimally today is key to controlling horrible results.

Here: http://www.julyfourthseward.com/

I read everyone’s post, but really must tackle that to-do list, so chatter will have to wait. And, yes, @linda.b I was who pushed RESOLVE and banned “hope” and felt quite guilty in June when I was showing zero RESOLVE, LOL! I’m so thankful to be back in control, even if not perfectly.

Have a grand one, whatever your weekend brings for you!

Day 2 – Cam, UK – NFD
    Just ‘jumped’ over from the June challenge – been away for a few days holiday and managed diet reasonably well, although the delicious micro-brew beer may have been my undoing! (Well, actually, it was the nibbles that went with it …)
    Anyway, back on track today and trying to find a good way to cope with granny-duty days. Grand-daughter loves cooking – today’s effort was an amazing chocolate trifle – homemade mousse, caramel, oreo biscuits, chocolate chestnuts – you name it, it went in. How do you decline such a glorious concoction, made by an autistic 10 year old, without causing offence? So, my monthly challenge, apart from wanting to continue a steady (if slow) weight loss, is how to manage such occasions (rather than just tucking in, seconds please!) OK today wasn’t a FD and I did only have a very very small portion which I made last ages by nibbling around the edge of the bowl. But on other occasions I usually get the ‘what the heck’ feeling, and as I would have blown the diet for the day, just wade in and eat anything going regardless of whether I want it, need it or (really?) like it – I guess that is my ‘dragon’ creeping out. How does everyone else cope? Am I just faint-hearted and lacking backbone? Suggestions please!!

Day 2 – 16:8 CD

Wonderful nothing scheduled, no events, relaxing long weekend here! Enjoying every moment! I slept til 9:00 am today, haven’t done that in I don’t remember how long. 😀 (I am keeping up with my exercise but otherwise chilling)

A good book and homemade fruit smoothie await, and I’m off with good thoughts to all.

Day 2 second post

@gardenlily I would say you answered your question: take a small portion and eat tiny bites v.e.r.y. slowly; well done! And your granddaughter’s creation sounds glorious, LOL! Once the dragon creeps out and starts roaring, we all struggle and it has nothing to do with lack of backbone, so toss out that thought in the rubbish!! One thing that helps me is considering if you’ve promised yourself or not. And if you promise someone else, you’ll follow through on it, without fail, so why don’t you accord yourself the same respect? The only thing is, it has to be a REAL promise, made with all the sincerity a promise requires. Try it; it has sue worked for me in the past, and I’m slowly regaining the skill of making a promise to myself that sticks.

And in that vein, that’s why I’m posting again because I want to celebrate that I just made a double batch of cut out cookies and didn’t nibble on One Single Morsel of the dough, which is possibly only the second time in my life I’ve done that (the other was on a FD several month ago). Amazing. Now the challenge is to get through the process of icing them without nibbling; time to make a promise, I’d say!

With enough thought, and RESOLVE, and promising ourselves, we really can accomplish this thing called NFD!

Day 2 UK NFD

Checking in for accountablity after super full day. Lovely to have friend staying but definitely eat more than on my own!

Had a veggie brunch at 11 which felt really early to eat after the last week of OMAD early supper. Vegan chorizo, scrambled eggs, grilled field mushroom, tomato and heap of spinach – around 450 calories. Long day out then supper of basmati rice & vegan chilli followed by ice cream – coming in just under TDEE but feeling a bit sick after the sugar in ice cream, having not had any sugar for a while. Tomorrow I’m out for lunch and plan to eat mindfully ahead of Monday’s FD.

@mariaelena i also do big bean chilli or lentil dahl to have on FDs. it makes eating well SO easy to have it to ready to defrost or a pile of salad to crunch through

@betsylee great to see you again -let’s keep each other company of the way down 🙂

@matpi i was also diagnosed with ME in 1997 – and am finding that I have more energy the last few weeks than i’ve had in 25 years. Tho rather tired just now are 4 non-stop weeks! Have a look at PhytoV.com – there’s an ouline of the study, some press stories & links.
    @jaifaim as i understand it, Viruses have a habit of hiding in organs where the immune system is less active or they’re harder to spot – gut, eyes, brain etc. This study posits that Covid19 virus is still active in the gut of those who have long covid, and uses tailored supplements to try to mop up the active virus. For me, it’s working well for energy and a little for cognition tho not entirely, I’m generally much more chilled and less anxious than i’ve been for the last couple of years, POTS is better, peripheral neuropathy still the same, breathing good – my lungs are feeling much clearer for the first time in ages too. I still can’t tolerate dairy which was a post-covid thing for me. I hope this or something soon helps you too – Thank you for good wishes xx

@excelsior12309 welcome back 🙂

@penz – thank you for the reminder! i went and got a glass of water as instructed, now drinking while catching up with posts

@linda.b thank you for your amazing encouragement 🙂

@brightonbelle 10 mile walk is epic!

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday – and happy festivities to all who are celebrating this weekend!

Day 3, NFD, Aus

Brrrr! Another cold, windy drizzly day but at least we’re not on flood watch like our friends in the Sydney area. Crazy times.

A quick one from me – I’ve read all the posts but running out of time to comment on all.

I agree with @stitchincarol, @gardenlily, eating a smaller portion more slowly and more mindfully, really tasting and savouring each mouth(-half-)full will give you a much richer eating experience than bolting down a plateful. And shows immense respect to your wonderful GD!

Looking forward to further adventures of Lola and Wesley.

Day 03 -Sunday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – (NFD)🌞⭐🌞🌸🏵🌼🌻🌺

Sun is out today, hooray! We’ve had quite a bit rain this week and now a one day reprieve apparently. Tomorrow will bring some more rain. However, not as bad as our southern shores (Sydney) who are for the fourth time in 12 months suffering flooding inundation yet again! It is just devastating and you wonder how many times people can pick themselves up, clean up and move forward?

Today is NFD but nothing special planned. Tomorrow is FUN DAY (FD). This afternoon I need to stock up on some fresh veg for the week. It would have been good if I’d gone early to a farmers market but, hey, bed was warm and cosy this morning (it’s winter here!). So off to the supermarket instead …..

Other than that… life is pretty ordinary and non-eventful here today… not a bad thing indeed!

See some of you you on the pocketlist tomorrow.

cheerie dearies 🦘🦘🦘🦘

It’s your body and your choice. 😎😍🥰😋

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Starting the week off with a fast day, first one for July. So if anyone feels like joining me..? There are few things nicer than Monday morning PFDS 🙂
    Pocket List – Day 3 🍋
    @funshipfreddie

Day 3 UK NFD

Off up to London shortly , staying overnight as seeing the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park , I’ll aim to get back on board next week

Fast Day # 1 for July. i will join @funshipfreddie today for a fast!I have committed to daily morning weigh-in, which is primarily interesting for how wildly the pounds go up and down from day to day. Hoping to keep an overall DOWN trend this month!

Monthly weigh in.

I started intermittent semi fasting in June 2022.

Started at 250 now 239lbs.

I figure the first ten pounds don’t count as much as the second ten pounds.

So I’m very hopefully and motivated because I haven’t 239 for at least 4 years. During the covid lock down I topped my weight at 262.

So I happy with June’s efforts.
    And ready for 8 semi fasts for July

Day 3 – UK CAM – NFD
    Thank you so much @stitchincarol for your uplifting and encouraging message – you have stiffened my resolve. I was able to resist the offer of (yet more) chocolate trifle this morning claiming quite honestly that I was still full of breakfast. I only nibbled a few raspberries whilst harvesting and have spent the rest of the morning sorting and packing soft fruit in the freezer – when it eventually cools down I shall be on a marathon jam-making session. Need a couple of good pots for the garden show at the end of the month. Talking of which, I need to finish off the mini quilt I am working on to enter that too – will use FDs to work on it instead of eating. Swapped my working day this week so will plan an FD for tomorrow, Mondays are easier somehow. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Day 3 16:8 CD

All good here. Enjoying another sleep late day and having my coffee now.

I chose M &W as my FD because I feel accomplished to tick those off my todo list early in the week and then have nothing hanging over my head for the weekend during which my husband and I might decide to change plans and do whatever. Given this is a long weekend, I will treat tomorrow’s regularly scheduled FD as optional. I made the decision months ago, work holidays and birthdays are exception days, and knowing I allow that also mentally soothes me. My DH is supportive, yet still apprehensive about the fasting approach so this also soothes him.

I also follow the smaller portions approach. Telling myself if I’m still hungry later, a second portion or a piece of fruit will be there waiting. So much if managing my eating feels like a game of mental chess. My appetite/ hunger has certainly changed for the smaller bit my eyes/mind still need the reassurance or adjusting.

Summer fruit is my big indulgence this weekend. Friday was a pear, yesterday pineapple and today there is a red banana waiting. Well the homemade ice cream is an indulgence too, but the lions portion of that is for DH – a small amount of dairy always fills me up quickly. I make a very simple vanilla ice cream – using just vanilla bean paste, evaporated milk, heavy cream and vanilla sugar – and do the take it out of the freezer every 20-30 minutes for a good scrape down and stir method, as we don’t have a ice cream maker. Yesterday paired two small scoops with fresh pineapple for one of the best deserts ever, imo.

Time to cut cat claws, my loves are unintentionally ripping me up!

Hope this is a good weekend for you!

Day 3 – Ireland – NFD ✅ 🚫🚶🏻‍♀️

Nice hilly hike early this morning with friends. Coffee and cake at the top. Gardening and some housework to do this afternoon and then supper out later.
    Hope everyone is well.
    @daffodil2010 I do hope you are doing ok with your busy family times.

Have a lovely day everybody. Well done to those fasting!

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 215 lbs, a lb higher than last week, but not bad for a day after hot dogs and hamburgers. We’re going to grill chicken on the 4th, so good day for fasting today! Keeping busy today, so I’ll catch up soon!

Day 3 USA (Illinois) NFD

Will do just 2 meals today, but likely will have ice cream for dessert. After all, this is the 4th of July weekend!

Onward and downward.

Day 3 – Lake District UK – NFD

Hi everyone,

I’m back and in for the July challenge, thanks to @penz for steering the 5:2 wagon this month!

I’m late on parade this month, been away for a short break after a very busy time, we didn’t realise how much effort we’d put into recent things, gardening and house sitting duties for friends, then the fundraiser etc. Only when we switched off and slept like logs on our first night away did we realise how tired we were. However batteries recharged and a few weeks at home now over middle of summer.

T’internet was slow where we were so I’m catching up now, the Osprey chicks, wow have they come on quickly!

A bit about me …. I ‘found’ this group in July 2019 and have never looked back! I’m a bloke who now in my mid 60’s had put on a lot of weight over the years, but thanks to this WOL I’m now down to a weight that I am comfortable with and feel a lot better!
    I have found the help and encouragement of the members of this group fantastic. The 5:2 WOL really does work.

Currently maintaining and staying within my ‘buffer zone’ in fact I really do find it easy having done the hard yards getting to where I am now from where I was.

Hobbies, travelling, brewing craft beer, baking bread, rugby union (watching these days, my playing days are long over) fishing and gardening.

Take care all, I’ll be in for the usual Monday morning FD tomorrow;)

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 346 total)

You must be logged in to reply.