31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,201 through 2,250 (of 2,440 total)

• Day 28: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD.
    I had hoped (as every evening) that today would be a fast day…but, come morning….also it’s my long weekend off work, so I guess the food cupboards are too close at hand! So, as before, my total successful January fast-days still stands at THREE, + two partial ones. Sigh!
    Anyway I know I’m not alone and many of us struggle from time to time.
    Ever hopeful, I’ve signed up for the February-Challenge! Grateful thanks to LynzM for taking us on and to Fuvvie for putting up with me this month xx

Day 28– Colorado, USA– NFD

Wow, Fuvvie, WOW!
    The spreadsheet that you have built & maintained all month is simply amazing! I don’t know how you find the time with all the other activities you do with friends, family & home. You must be one BUSY lady!!

(one note: oddly, it says I’m in Florida. I’m way out west from there in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.)

Quebecoiseโ€“ Congratulations on busting thru your plateau!! What a wonderful birthday gift to give yourself!

lilymartin– LOL, I’ve never heard weeds & calories compared before, but it works!

LynzM– Oh my! Haven’t we ALL had days like that! Looks like your weakness is chocolate? Mine is fast food/ french fries…and I’ve had too MUCH of that rubbish all this week. And it’s undone my January. ๐Ÿ™

My weight this morning was appalling, but I know exactly what did it. And I know the cure: Need to pull up my Big Girl panties & return to my 5:2 basics along with LCHF for February!
    Let’s be kind to ourselves, no mental beat-downs, just a little shove back in the right direction & carry on.
    Best of Luck on your recovery FD today!!

Day 27 – Canada – NFD
    Day 28 – Canada – NFD

Day 28….. Florida….. FD

So, I changed my Friday FD, to a NFD because of the funeral I had to attend. Very nice service, Miss Nancy is going to miss by so many!

Today, a Sat at home being left to my own devices is going to be a tough one but I have a new goal since I’m headed home to NY for a visit. I want to lose 10 more lbs. So, I’ve got to make some sacrifices.
    Plus, my MIL is coming home with us until May, when my boys head back up to NY for the men’s retreat that they have planned.

I did weigh in today, I’m actually kind of happy, I’m the same weight I was on Jan. 14, which means in 2 weeks I gained and then lost again 5lbs. So, I said to myself as I step off the scale…. Self, now you know you can do, you see that you can do it, so can you please stop all of your nonsens, self sabotage and at least try to stay on the straight and narrow.
    Then, my husband from the other side of the close door said…… Sometimes the only way forward is taking two steps back…….. he’s way to philosophical, so early in the morning…….
    Well…. I must be off, forgot to charge my tablet last night and it’s giving me the I’m going to die warning!

Cheers!

Day 28 – Staffordshire, UK – NFD

Day 28– Colorado, USA– NFD

Just as I stated in my post above to LynzM, I’ve gone off the rails a bit this past week indulging in my weakness: fast food & french fries (chips?) Oh boy! The number on the scale this morning really reflected it too!

It’s odd, but whenever I successfully reach goal weight, I seem to mentally feel like “Yay. I’ve got this problem licked” and then go hog-wild for a bit on my food. This time though, I clearly see that trend repeating itself & I’m catching it early!!

I’ve only bounced up 3-4 pounds & I’m putting the brakes on NOW.
    We all know the cure! Being true to 5:2 Fast Days, tracking TDEE on NFDs, employing 16:8 intermittent fasting & cleaning up my food choices (Good-bye, rubbish. Hello, LCHF.)

I believe that will be the key to my maintenance: catching the slips very quickly, when the gains are still small & fixing it ASAP. Still a few days in January to finish out strong, then Onward & Downward in February too!

Day 28 USA FD

The end of my 48 fast came at 44 hours – no big deal except that I decided to eat less than a reasonable lunch knowing full well that last night we were having friends over for pizza. I should have waited and then I might not feel as bloated this morning. This is the first time I can say that I truly overdid it to the point of feeling hung over this morning. My fingers feel tight – my tummy feels bloated and that kinda bums me out.

The good news is the scales didn’t show it but you know how that goes – it may be tomorrow before the results are in ๐Ÿ™

So – adding a 24 hour fast which won’t be too hard considering I still feel full this morning.

I will be joining the Feb group in the meantime let’s all stay focused and strong all the way to the finish line!

Oops – my previous post should have read… Day 28 – FD

Day 28 Canada NFD
    Someone asked what other message threads I visit and find helpful. My biggest problem is binge eater and there are a couple of active message threads that address this issue.

Day 28 / NFD / Oman
    16:8 today but very indulgent weekend eating!

Day 28 Canada CD

Yesterday’s FD fell by the wayside, sigh. Enjoyed some chocolate and nuts, way too many.

Have a family birthday party tomorrow so will be careful to save some calories for cake.

FUVVIE You are amazing! Thanks for all your work and support this month.

Georgia/USA/Day 28/NFD

@fuvvie and @debster251. I was just catching up on all the posts from yesterday and was interested to see that you both belong to a book club. Me too. This month we are reading The German Girl, next month The Little Red Chairs and then A Man Called Ove. I would be interested to know what you are both reading with your book clubs and if there’s anything you highly recommend. We are always looking for something new The choice is sometimes difficult because there are “so many books and so little time”.

@orpheusx. There are you are in Sweden trying to motivate yourself to go out for a walk on a cold and gray day. Here I am in Canada trying to do the same on a cold and gray day. Let’s just get our winter gear on and go and get it done. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

2nd post

We’ll crack this Coda! So far s mindful today and salad for supper. B2b Monday and tuesday so final weighin Wednesday morning, hope to see a loss for Jan, however small!!

Keep on keeping on !

Day 27 – NFD
    Day 28 – FD

Day 28 – SW WA USA – NFD

Glad to make it through another b2b Thurs/Friday. Scale down to 204.8 lbs. this morning. So close to January goal!

Rocy65 – your 145.9 sounds like such a wonderful number to my ears. It’s been too long since I’ve been there. Where do you want to be? On a previous downward trip on the scales, starting from a packed out size 18 with some 20s, I told myself that I’d be happy when I got to size 14. A couple of years ago I got down comfortably into 14s but couldn’t keep it there. I’m on my way back down again down to size 16s & they’re getting loose. God helping me & this group, it’ll be the last time journeying down.

orpheusx – congratulations on your success! That’s great that you have co-workers coming on the journey with you. Yesterday, one of the IAs (Instructional Assistants) and I chatted about this WOL and she said she wanted to try it. I suggested she check out Dr. Mosley’s you tube BBC video. It’d be nice to have a partner at school.

Pissapoosa – congrats on getting into the “healthy” BMI range. All the best in your studies.

Day 27 and Day 28 NFD 16:8 both days

Day 28 – Cumbria UK – NFD

Had a lovely meal out with the OH last night – just above TDEE even with a couple of glasses of wine!!
    A mindful eating day today – nothing to eat until 3pm – just sorting out dinner now so should come in to TDEE if there is no grazing after dinner……….

Positive vibes to all for the weekend.

Day 28|CD-NFD|Toronto|86.4 kg
    @fuvvie: thank you for your great spread sheet, very impressive!
    @at: your encouragement is appreciated
    I look forward to February as a month to get centered and focused; I think January is designed just be survived!

Day 28, Oceanside CA, NFD

Nice easy weekend day with plenty of time for a 4 mile walk or more. Make hay when the sun shines! wherever you are.

Day28/Midwest USA/ NFD

Thank you all for posting; it really helps me on this journey. I have learned some very useful things in this January Challenge:
    Is this feeling a feeding habit or real hunger?
    if this is a habit, what do I really want? if the want is to chew, choose gum.
    If this is a habit and I am thirsty, choose miso soup, tea, or some other lovely liquid.

These are the new questions I am asking myself these days.
    Anybody else with new options for themselves this month? I’d love to hear about them.

Day 28 Ireland NFD 9 st 8 lb
    Glad to finish b2b last night.
    Weight seems to steady, with a 2 lb loss for this month.
    Suspect it will be slow loss… another 2 lbs in February would be fab…playing the long game here!
    Thanks for all wonderful comments and posts that have provided so much inspiration this month. Hope to continue in February’s group. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Day 28, Gozo, Malta, NFD

I missed posting yesterday. Trying to eat as per TDEE but probably over.

Good evening everyone

@sheam2567

what I’ve learned this month – what I’ve gained:

I don’t have to go it alone!! Having this group/forum has proved to be extremely valuable – good days and bad! It has kept me focused and encouraged and I truly have enjoyed getting to know many members of this group.

I can do this!! I can mix it up if I want – IF/LCHF/18:6/5:2…so many options and they are all 1000% better than any other strategy I have ever tried before.

I have learned to have reasonable expectations – and to celebrate the wins and move on as gracefully as possible when things didn’t go as planned.

This WOL is sustainable – has many many benefits in addition to weight loss – a healthier life for sure and much more at peace with the daily up and downs.

Thanks for asking!

Sheam, great question.

I’ve learned I’m not the only one to fall off the wagon.AND that I can simply climb back on the wagon and carry on without the self recrimination.

Learned that I won’t faint if I miss a meal. That a coffee or tea is usually enough to satisfy.

I have learned that focusing on the process ie having lo cal meals ready,daily recording in MFP,daily posting and reading everyones posts is a healthier approach for me rather focussing on my weight, jumping on/off the scale and worrying about the numbers.

Day 28 USA(Utah) NFD

Had a fair day yesterday, but the glass of Chardonnay at lunch might have been an excess. Sure tasted good though with my cold shrimp and vegetable salad with vinaigrette dressing.

Orpheusx – I have had quite a few people ask about my weight loss as well, but so far I have not heard of any of them joining our WOL. Maybe you can have better success with your peeps. My all Swedish dad’s family came from Smaaland in the early 1900’s to Chicago, and someday I would love to get there to visit. One of my Haakansson cousins went and took photos a few years ago – quite a family we had. We had a Norwegian exchange student whose wedding we went to in 2002 so got to see Norway at least! Her dad was just terrific with Sweden/Norway jokes.

Mamacat – Mt. Lemmon really IS way south! I have never skied Arizona or New Mexico, but do enjoy Utah and Colorado. Also never skied in California even though we lived there from 72-75. All our kids ski with our son running a Ski Travel business who just announced a trip to Japan for next year, and this Utah daughter used to run a ski school out here too before her kids came along. Skiing has been part of our blood since our honeymoon January 1969. We just had 48 years Hard to believe.

Onward and downward!

Still Day 28

Sheam2567 – good question

Some things I’ve learned:
    – I don’t have to eat within 30 minutes of getting up
    – fasting helps; not hurts
    – someone on this forum has been where I am

UK day 28 NFD

Day 28 | NFD | Bucks UK

Checking in:

Jan27: NFD (under TDEE)
    Jan28: NFD (slightly over TDEE) ๐Ÿ™

@fuvvie, thank you so much for the spreadsheet and keeping it up! And for all the support.. ๐Ÿ™‚ I noticed it has my starting weight as the one I had after August. I was 68.9 at the star of challenge ๐Ÿ™ Thanks to Christmas!!

@lynz thank you for leading the Feb challenge! I’ll join up I think, it’s been nice checking in to see how everyone else doing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tomorrow will be another NFD and then I’ll doing b2b FDs Monday and Tuesday.

Goodnight all x

3rd post! this is a first!

The end of the day a controlled day to my tdee, a peaceful day!

AnneMarilyn – I started 5.2 last May at size 16/18 I did so well in the first few months losing 2.5stone and over the moon at a WOL that works!
    But some personal probs have got in the way of getting to my goal,I ve been close, but Suffer from anxieties which get in the way! I’m taking stepsto deal with these!

Without this thread I would have put all the weight on again, Im so grateful for the support and encouragement I get from this group!!

Day 28 : Cheshire, UK : NFD/CD

Will catch up on posts tomorrow. xoxo

Day 29 – Perth, W.Aust – NFD

After a humid 38C day yesterday, it’s so nice to have some summer rain today. I love the smell of it as it hits the warm ashphalt and the hint of coolness in the air, yet still warm enough to swan around in summer clothes. OH is washing the work car in the rain and the dog and I are lounging on the day bed on the verandah watching the birdlife also enjoying the change in the weather. They are getting stuck into our beautiful Grevillea’s (native flower) flying from shrub to shrub to drink in the flowers nectar. Maybe there is a lesson to be learnt from those birds, just eat enough to get you through the day, ready for the next one. I’m sure if they ate the way I did they’d never get off the ground and there would be a lot of fat cats around too… ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a great day everyone, stay strong and be kind to yourself.

Day 29 NFD country West Australia
    Yesterday’s FD ( 541 calories ) went comparatively well but struggled a bit when DH had the dinner I cooked him and I just had my cuppa.
    Out for morning tea, lunch and possibly afternoon tea today so will need to be mindful.

Things I’ve learned :
    1. Be mindful of what I am eating and whether it is necessary i.e. am I actually hungry – but don’t obsess. Life is not a dress rehearsal it is for living.
    2. Counting calories for a little while yet, for me, keeps me on track.
    3. I am getting better at knowing what 500 and 1500 calories looks like – considerably less than I had imagined!!
    4. I enjoy reading all the posts and seeing others’ journeys similar to mine.
    5. Consistency is the way to get the result. As Tom Venuto of ‘ Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle ‘says
    ‘ train hard expect success.’
    6. There are some wonderful people who log and spend a lot of time keeping us all together – thanks Fuvvie for a job well done.
    7. I am drinking less tea and coffee than before this challenge. Realised that I procrastinate by making a hot drink and used to have a LOT in one day! Trying to keep under 500 calories on a FD means forgoing some of those drinks with milk – and it does me no harm. Plus I get more work done.
    8. I rely on this forum when I need support or am struggling to keep on track. Keeps me focussed.
    So once again thank you to each and everyone of you for your assistance across the globe.
    Looking forward to February’s challenge.๐Ÿ˜

Day 29 Sunshine Coast Qld NFD: Forgot to weigh myself this morning. Why? Because a friend had to stay over last night after our indulgence at book club. Debster, we usually only have morning or afternoon tea at our get-togethers which are monthly. Very small group of 5. Yesterday we had the meeting at 3pm. We have a male, he likes to call himself The Token Male, and it was at his home. So his wife had done gem drops and scones for Afternoon tea. I had coffee with cream but didn’t have the scones etc. When we had finished discussing The Miniaturist which was an interesting book but left a lot of questions unanswered. It did create a lot of discussion though. When it was finished, another husband was phoned to come and join us for drinks and nibbles on the back deck which we duly christened. We were meant to go home about 5:30 pm I think. By then I had had 2 glasses of bubbles and broke my LCHF rule by having the lavash bread with the most divine English Stilton and sour cherry paste, salted macadamias, and pie on water crackers. There were also cruditรฉs with hummus. In for a penny , in for a ton. The hostess put on music from ‘Heartbeat’ and the dancing started. When we were still there at 8:30, she put on some pizza, even though we didn’t need it. Down went 2 slices of that. On went the dancing. I can’t remember having so much fun in ages. The music played and we sang at the tops of our voices. They live on about 80 acres, so no-one to disturb. I doubt one would call it sophisticated. We left at 10:45pm, and I’m still feeling a glow. It was so much fun.

Reid, we are going to read ‘The Dry’ by Jane Harper. We only recommend the next book at the meeting. Each of us takes it in turn. We only started in the middle of last year. We’ve read “All the Light We Cannot See by Doerr, a stunning book; “I am Pilgrim”, also a very good read, “Child 44”, a chilling book by Tom Rob Smith, but everyone felt it was worth the effort.

Today is going to be a light day, having started with bacon and eggs, so that I can get back on track. But my feast day was certainly that. Kicked right out of ketosis.

I’ve learnt that -if I apply myself, I can achieve a modicum of success.
    – want is not need.
    – ask the question and someone will provide an answer
    – a can do attitude is much better than a can’t do attitude, but may take a while longer
    – the world has wonderful people who are willing to hold out a hand and continue to support one when it all seems too hard.

Thanks everyone. Just a couple of more days and the challenge will be completed. I know I’m in a much better place than I was at the beginning of January.

Went over my calories for a FD but I did manage a long walk, (11,695 steps) this afternoon and didn’t eat until 6 pm. Grilled salmon, steamed vegetables, and then two glasses of red wine ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–. Oh well. We do what we can.

@lillymartin. So true. Ditto for me too!

Good night all.

Day 29 – NZ – NFD

Day 29 Waikato New Zealand NFD
    Yesterday was fast day and last night was terrible. I kept waking up really hungry so had a dreadful nights sleep.At 4.30am I got up to go to work and by then wasn’t hungry so thought maybe I could do another FD. Started well and then by 8.30am I started to feel very light headed and quite queasy. I had a banana and a coffee and sat in the staff room for awhile until I felt better. Lunch time came and I thought I’d have a large plate of veg (I cook at the local hospital) but after a few mouthfulls had had enough. Will have a light dinner and see what tomorrow brings. Wow @fuvvie aren’t those impromtu happenings just the best. Sounded real fun. Can’t believe Jan is almost over.

Day 25 NFD New Zealand
    Day 26 NFD
    Day 27 NFD
    Day 28 NFD
    Day 29 NFD
    Can’t hide the fact that I’ve taken a step away from 5:2 for the past week. Lack of willpower,laziness, temptations -a whole raft of excuses I could choose from. I have two goals coming up: my birthday in one month and my wedding anniversary in 2 months, so I always stick to a plan if I have a definite goal to aim for. Will fast Monday and tue to get my rating back on track.

Day 28. Quรฉbec. NFD

Tonight I had a big birthday diner with friends as I did last night with other friends. Almost afraid to get on the scale tomorrow morning !

Have a great day everyone x

Day 29 – Brisbane, Aus – NFD

Pretty good day today, will see how weigh-in goes tomorrow (shouldn’t be too bad). Almost the end of the month, stay motivated everyone.

Day 29, Australia NFD

Day 29 / Sweden / NFD

NFD today but I will really need to control myself after going overboard the last two days. What really did me in yesterday was 600 kcal of bread!
    Tomorrow is my wife’s birthday so my Monday fast will be moved to Tuesday to finish off the month. I will continue with 5:2 in February but I haven’t decided if I will sign up for the official challenge simply because I can’t keep up with all the posts. 2242 posts so far! Wow, what a popular group. But it is great that everyone is so supportive.

@reid, it’s a small world. I actually moved to Sweden from Canada about 11 years ago and although I haven’t yet read A Man Called Ove, I have seen the film (in Swedish) and it was very moving and well made. It was nominated for an Oscar this week

second post
    @fuvvie@reid and any others in bookclub
    I have been a member of the same book club for almost 32 years!! We read a book a month of the host’s choice. We vary from 14 to 6 members – currently 6.
    We discuss the book and then indulge in morning tea/ afternoon tea/ dinner depending on time of book club. Times vary due to some members working, some not driving after dark ( too many kangaroos to run into in the bush and they do SO much damage to one’s vehicle) etc.
    It is very informal and I have read many books I would not otherwise have chosen.
    The last one was ‘ The shepherd’s life’ by James Rebanks about farming in the Dales district in England. Good read.
    My OH who hasn’t read a novel in years due to the amount of farming journals and other reading required for agriculture on a weekly/monthly basis is currently reading and enjoying it.
    Current book is Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic.
    Fuvvie , your bookclub/ dance sounded fantastic.

Day 29 / FD / Oman
    Will try to get to 500cal dinner at 6pm with just liquids and a handful of almonds. I’ve been so up and down after a really good start to the month. I’m definitely down on the scales but not as much as I’d hoped for. Oh well!

Day28 – Bucks UK – NFD (Totally overate all day – So much for thinking I was in control)

DAY 29 FD (lets hope I do better to-day)

Day 29– Colorado, USA — NFD, but keeping it very a Controlled Day

Fuvvie– that sounds like the best book club ever! What a fun day/night you all had.
    Arvandee– enjoyed reading about the wild birds near your verandah & giggled at the “fat cats”

Some of the things I’ve learned on this journey so far:

-it’s okay to feel hungry, it won’t kill me. In fact, if I wait a bit, the hunger passes.
    -I no longer need to carry “emergency snacks” around in my purse, car or locker at work. I’m not going to die if I skip lunch (or any meal.)
    -in fact, I no longer snack AT ALL. *Food is for meal-times only*
    -sometimes if I think I’m hungry, I find a hot drink of tea/ plain black coffee or bullion hits the spot perfectly.
    -I eat too much out of habit, boredom or procrastination. Developing tactics to thwart that is vital.

-Accountability works wonders.
    -Checking into this forum daily keeps me on track.
    -Using my Lose It app to log calories/ carbs is vital for my success. It reminds me of my goals & helps me put the brakes on before careening over the calorie cliff.
    -Having an exercise plan is good. Marking each workout down on my calendar is even better.

Having this world-wide group of Fellow Fasters is so inspirational & supportive!
    I couldn’t have made it back into my skinny jeans, muffin-top gone, without this Challenge group. I know, I’ve tried many, many times on my own. The support given here is priceless!!

Day 29 Melbourne NFD
    Urrgh have eaten too much, hopefully can have a better day tomorrow.

@vaderz and @coda: I thought Dr Fung responded very well to the critique, and certainly very courteously! I’m still with him. Stephan … hmmm, Guyenet ? Is clearly knowledgeable, but hasn’t swayed me away from the Moseley/Fung fasting premise.

@fuvvie your spontaneous party sounded so fun!

Day 29 Surrey UK NFD Life is taking over. Can’t remember when I posted last and hanging on by my fingernails….

UK day 29 NFD weighed in and still showing 2lb down for the month, which I first achieved early on in the month, so if I stay steady until the end of the month I’ll be happy with that .

Viewing 50 posts - 2,201 through 2,250 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.