28 Day February 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
28 Day February 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,265 replies, has 136 voices, and was last updated by  TripleT 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,651 through 1,700 (of 2,266 total)

• Day 19 Ireland NFD
    I love NFDs! Keep going team!

Day 19 – Cumbria UK – NFD

Busy day – but good NFDs over the weekend and no alcohol…………Makes it easier not to over eat!!!!!

FDs planned for Tuesday and Friday this week

Will try to catch up with some posts tomorrow

Positive thought for the tomorrow – “Don’t give up. Great things take time”

2nd post Day 20, FD #14

I’m doing well this time but since I’m 20 hours is with more than 20 hours to go I expect it might get harder. I’m pushing the fast a little longer.

I’ve been watching by blood glucose, three readings 94, 96, 93 mg/dl.

Day 20 FD country West Australia
    DAY 19 – FD became under TDEE NFD – well I did supply morning tea at church and though I only had 1 ham sandwich and 1 mini cupcake, with coffee, lunch salad and toast etc went over 500 calories.
    No consistent computer or Internet access since last week and won’t have for another month so will be erratic in log ins.
    Finally caught up with most of missed posts- Whew!!
    Congratulations to those heading downwards. I am with the group heading north unfortunately.
    Despite mostly eating a lot less than normal- except fish and chips Friday which I haven’t had for yonks- the fat fairy has superglued the scales and they are Stuck!
    Not too worried about it but more intrigued that a week of salad ( no oven or cook top for 2 weeks ) and microwaved veggies after a 40 hour fast made no impression on scale number. Interesting to know the physiology.
    What I have learned this week without being able to consistently log on is that for me, being mindful and accountable by the actual act of logging on , makes me much more mindful of actions and choices during the day.
    On days I have simply thought about doing NFD without logging it I have been far less mindful of my choices . Granted I haven’t eaten to TDEE as I haven’t been well but interesting nonetheless.
    Just heard that they are thinking of taxing soft drinks. I remain unconvinced that sugar or carbs by itself is the ‘baddie’. I remember eggs were bad, then potatoes, then bread,then fat, then milk, then different food combinations.
    My parents were brought up on plenty of animal fats, plenty of ‘ the white stuff’ , large portions etc. They were certainly more physically active but they ate a lot of food now being demonized. Of course there were not nearly as many chemicals and very few preservatives.
    I think we need to be careful of being too militant about any food in particular. Dr M also emphasises the importance of exercise for health.
    All things in moderation.
    Just read that sitting for longer than 30 minutes can take 20 minutes off your life. Better get moving as have been sitting a while using this borrowed tablet.😄

Day 20 Tasmania Aus FD 64.4kgs

So hungry today, but figure that’s a good thing. Not an easy thing though.

Good luck everyone.

Day 19 – SW WA USA – NFD

Traveling but have done quite well.

Congratulations b2f on your success. Your story helps fan the flame for those of us not as far on the journey.

Day 20 – Perth AUS – FD

Day 19-CD-Toronto

lilymartin and others like you, I don’t know how you do it. After my fast I really enjoy eating. To come off a fast and then restrict your eating sounds very difficult to me. I think I would rather face another day of fasting rather than do that.

Day 19 – SW WA USA – NFD

Congratulations b2f for your sucesses. You are further along the journey & an encouragement to us coming behind.

My experiment to keep carbs as low as possible has netted me 1100 calories but only 24 carbs. MFP says my TDEE should be at 1750 calories and 224 carbs. I found out my V8 juice and apple had far more carbs than I thought, but my nice glass of Shiraz is only 4 carbs! Wouldn’t I rather drink wine than tomato juice?

Day 20 / NFD / Oman
    Did quite well yesterday on FD. But I do find them quite hard…i feel very lethargic and cranky most FDs. The day after I always feel better. I’m up and down between the same kilo since mid Jan and I’m finding it quite depressing. It’s (FDs) a lot of effort for not a huge result at the moment. I’m sticking with it till months end and will then reassess.
    Good luck today everone

Day 20 / NFD / Oman
    Did quite well yesterday on FD. But I do find them quite hard…i feel very lethargic and cranky most FDs. The day after I always feel better. I’m up and down between the same kilo since mid Jan and I’m finding it quite depressing. It’s (FDs) a lot of effort for not a huge result at the moment. I’m sticking with it till months end and will then reassess.
    Good luck today everyone.

Day 20 UK FD

Your body is like a bank account, good choices equal good investment.

SO 9 Days to go of this month and I’ve throughly enjoyed reading all your posts and checking you in. So on for the final push.

I have a plan for my last 9 days of this month, and when you have a plan you always stick to it right!!!!

So looked at all your tips and my plan goes like this:

M T F S M = FDs these are because they are my busy days and will not have much time to eat. One 500 cal meal. Up the water intake. Chunky veg soup or omelette, plus yoghurt to stop sweet monster coming to get me.

Th and Tu = Meals out – relax and have what u want, just don’t over do it, enjoy it.

W Su = successful NFDs

WATER

Exercise every day, no matter how little, and walk when I can, don’t give much thought to food, do stuff u like to do, bubble baths, read a book, read posts.

So far 4lbs this month, want the last 9 days to be as successful as I know I can do better. And my treat is Pancake day on the 28th!

I think with this I have a good plan for me, let’s see how successful I will be, it’s only 9 days!!!!!

Good luck all, try drawing up your own plan and commit! Don’t make it too strict, try to put in treats and nice bits too.

Day 20 – Switzerland – NFD

Day 20 FD
    I’m flying home this morning so back to porridge. It’s good to keep in touch with my roots and spend quality time with my family. Today is a reset day. Haven’t made very good choices with my diet this weekend, so I must knuckle down this week and finish the month with a flourish!
    I’m fasting until tomorrow at 6pm but will eat a small meal tonight.
    Good luck everyone. Have a good day

Day 20 / U.K. / FD

DAY20 _UK – FD

Really looking forward to my fd to-day..grandchildren gone (house seems empty, they usually come into our bedroom at 6.30!!) but boy do I get tired, and then I find it so difficult to fast), Plan to go out for a nice long walk and enjoy the countryside.
    Will start our runs tomorrow. Low carb soup and salad for supper. All planned – which is a must for me. If to-day goes well, I might do a fd tomorrow – but not set in stone.

Good luck everyone..xx

Day 20 UK FD

I have an extra days work to do today so I am glad it is a fast day. I really hate working when I have eaten. Yesterday when I ate at noon I felt rotten finishing off my work. I should have just had marmite with a little seaweed and pushed through and finished before eating a meal. But I was so hungry:( And I find it difficult to eat enough to keep my metabolism up if I eat meals too close together. Noon and 6pm work best from a metabolic viewpoint but from a work perspective doesn’t function at all well. I need to solve this one… If I was a smaller person I would go for 23/1 but I can’t eat enough in one meal. My TDEE is 2200, even with two meals I only get about 1800. Unless I eat something really unhealthy, which can’t be a good strategy. I don’t want to start craving the bad stuff again. Nuts would be a good addition but I can’t stop eating those once I start and I end up with stomach cramps:(

On a more positive note I was down another lb yesterday:) That makes 8lbs lost so far in Feb:) And 16lbs down since I got a battery for the scales a month ago:)

Day 20 FD UK

Been away for a few days so lots to catch up on and haven’t posted for a while too. Have been trying hard though and after my last FD on Thursday I got weighed and I have lost a total of 7 pounds so far. I am thrilled!
    Well motivated for today’s fast, hope all you other Monday fasters are too 😀

Day 20 UK FD maintained -7 lbs Feb
    Fat rabbit,
    Well done, that is incredible over 2 months, you must be thrilled, I would be jumping for joy if it was me.

I am pretty pleased to maintain after a hectic weekend with a few poor choices included, chips, roast potatoes, gin and tonic to name. Ur a few.

Very strict reset to 23/1 Fast, chicken salad tonight plus fruit and yogurt. Walk, dance class and swim on the agenda plus an early night.

My new grains, milk Kefir is too sour, can it be rescued, anyone know? I am cutting fermentation period to 24 hours to 12, possibly 6.

My plan for next 9 days is STRICT, STRICT, STRICT because I have 4 day bowls trip this weekend with 3 meals per day on offer, I will miss breakfast for sure. Then social events every night, it will need to be water only, no choice.

4 fast days to go MWFM- pushing my luck for another 3 lbs I think, all I can do is my best. There is a stone crossing in that so that will add a little incentive, starting March in a new stone

Day 20, Newcastle UK, FD

Oh dear. Plan didn’t really work this weekend afterall. Got an unexpected invitation to celebrate my niece’s birthday yesterday afternoon which scuppered things as I drank too much real ale. Interestingly, I wasn’t remotely interested in the food they ordered and didn’t partake, waiting until I got home to eat. After a morning 84 mile round trip to Dad’s to clean his house in preparation for a viewing at 1pm, I didn’t even find time to check in yesterday – so for the record

Day 19, Newcastle UK, NFD (significantly above TDEE)

I do know that being part of this group has made a huge difference overall and I’m inspired by the efforts and honesty that folks post. For the first time in years I’m not having any ‘what’s the point’ thoughts. Instead I’m thinking ‘well what’s the alternative?’ Fasting is a sustainable and flexible way of life. Thank you again.

My plan between now and end of Feb is definitely FD Mon/Tues both weeks and attempt another on Thursday and Saturday. I’m marking them in my food diary and will plan my meals in advance. I’m also going to do a few gardening jobs this week now that the weather has improved. As it’s half term there’s no point go to the swimming pool, it’ll be packed, so I need to walk more.

All the best everyone.

Day 20 Melbourne FD

wow only 8 days to go… that went quickly!

@strawberriesandcream – yes! you have hit the nail on the head by saying ‘what’s the alternative?’ I have tried every diet under the sun, since about 1969, and I’m so over it – this is the first WOL eating plan that has ever shown any promise of being sustainable/achievable, ever.

DAY 19 – Cardiff UK – NFD
    DAY 20 – Cardiff UK – FD

Starting weight : 173.3lb

Today’s weight : 166.4lb (6.9lb) Feb target 8.3lb

Morning everyone

Half term here this week, so out of routine a bit as no making sure 15 year old up and out.

A couple of good NFD, eat within TDEE and STS yesterday.

Aiming for a liquid only day today, and looking forward to it. I struggle to drink enough water on NFD, but on FD I seem much better, probably because I drink every time I think of food.

Welldone @fatrabbit, you’re doing really well. I tend to have some nuts on NFD, but have to weigh them and put them in a small dish or the packet would be gone.

Hopeful of reaching Feb target, only 1.4lb to go and planning, like @jojo58, to fast M, W, F M (usual days for me). Before finding this WOL, and the support here, I would never have dreamed of setting a goal of 8lb for a month.

Thank you everyone for all your support. I read every post and think part of my success this month has been due to reading where others have identified what has caused them to struggle and avoiding those situations or having a plan with how to deal with them.

@jojo58…re kefir grains. Try rinsing the grains. Put them in a plastic sieve and rince with boiled cool water. Also maybe you’re using too much grains. You can always take some out and freeze them.

Day 20 FD Sydney
    Feeling good about my weight loss. Nearly half way to where I want to be. This method has nearly completely reduced my emotional eating. I still have some treats, but I’ve stopped the cycle of mindless eating. That’s a miracle!

I feel like weight management and fitness are completely within my grasp and there’s been many times when it felt almost impossible to achieve.

Have had a very stressful month, but I think life will settle down again now. Stress and fasting together makes it hard to add in HIT so that’s my next frontier – HIT and super fitness.

Feeling a bit flabby now the weight is coming off and that needs countering very quickly.

I’m 32 hours into a fast, about 12 more hours to go. It is 8pm in Japan.

I just checked my blood sugar and it was 74 mg/dl. (~4.1 mmol/l) Wow, so the fasting is likely putting stress on my insulin levels! WOOT! Smash that insulin resistance!

Day 20, UK, NFD.
    @onahealthyhigh I have gone over my TDEE each time and have shaved back calories on NFDs. I’m a newbie to this so I didn’t want to go over my entire week’s calorific allowance. Should I not worry about this? I want to give this my best effort and want to learn from those who have incorporated this into their daily WOL.
    Happy Monday all.

Day 20……Florida….. FD

Gosh, I can’t believe it’s Mon. again. Seems to me that the days are flying by!

So, yesterday, I attempted to go through my closet. I did only the pants. Gosh, it was tiring trying every single one of them on. Good news is that I’m not going to need to by any new pants for a while! I’ve only got about 10 that are still a bit snug!
    I did toss 6 pairs and found two that need to be altered.
    After all that I didn’t have the energy to go through the shirts.
    I did realize that I maybe a clothes hog and I’m not a very good minimalist.

I’m so not looking forward to going into work today. I have a six day stretch, so it’s going to be a long week. Especially, since I’m playing the wait and see game!

Well, I’m off!

Cheerio!

Day 20, USA, Missouri Ozark, USA, FD

Todays weight 147, Starting Weight 2/5 – 152, Goal Weight 145

Back to work, had a very productive four days off but now I have to head back to the office – to get some rest. haha….

To your health, all.

Day 20 – Brittany, France – FD

After a week of NFDs because of work, yesterday effectively turned into an FD because I had a gastric bug (with vomiting on Saturday night, not pleasant!) which left me feeling very queasy all day yesterday, so I really could not and did not eat very much at all. FD today – as I’m still not 100% it’s not an effort. Drinking lots of water. I shall weigh myself tomorrow to see whether my 8 hour eating window on my week of NFDs has been effective. I’m aiming at no weight gain! We’ll see tomorrow.

Hi @curlytop, I can only talk about my individual experience. I began 5:2 in 2014 for the health benefits reported by Dr Moseley. On NFDs I focussed on healthy eating, enjoyed a glass of wine, cut portions, kept a food diary, never counted calories and was pleasantly surprised with a gradual and consistent weight loss – a huge bonus. I wasn’t aware of TDEE until some months after I started this WOL and by that stage had lost 20kg. I’ve been grappling with the idea of eating to TDEE ever since. My experience of counting calories and points as a longtime yo-yo dieter always did my head in, as a result I believe the obsessive counting was one of the reasons for my weight rebounding.

According to the tracker my TDEE is only 1293 calories. What I love about 5:2 is it doesn’t feel like a diet. Eating only 1293 calories would seem like an endless diet and I believe would affect my metabolism and determination. I’ve found a balance to losing weight by focussing on my health, eating unprocessed foods, controlling portion size and not counting calories. I’ve managed to stay within a kg of my chosen goal weight for well over a year following this pattern of eating. This is the first time my weight has krept up nearly 3kg, mainly due to changes in my circumstances. For many eating to TDEE helps to maintain focus and control. It isn’t a pattern that works for me so my advice would be to find a way of eating that works for your mental and physical health and one that you can sustain in the longterm. Good luck.

@curlytop. I should have said I counted calories on FD to ensure I stayed under 500 calories but I never ate 1/3 of my TDEE on these days. I happily ate 500.

Day 20, London, UK, FD

Aiming for a liquid fast to counteract a weekend akin to ‘feeding time at the zoo’!!! I didn’t just fall of the wagon, I positively hurled myself off…….. can you say ‘self sabotage’……….. Glad to be back on track, I NEED this FD!!

Good luck everybody, keep the faith!!

2nd post today

@onahealthyhigh – very useful explanation – thank you.
    @flourbaby – I keep reading about liquid fasts and wonder what this means. Do you still consume 500 calories but in the form of protein drinks, smoothies, tea, coffee etc. or are you actually consuming no calories at all? I’m fasting today and tomorrow and will think of you. This wol means we’re in it for ever and therefore days off plan are just a fact of life. I think if we didn’t occasionally have a blow out, life would be pretty boring. The key is getting right back on track and that’s what you’re doing.

Day 19 Sunday — Colorado USA — NFD
    Day 20 Monday — Colorado USA — NFD
    Day 21 Tuesday — Colorado USA — FD

My work days have been changed. I now work 10-12 hour shifts on Tues/ Thurs/ Friday.
    It’s so much easier to Fast while keeping busy at work, so I’m changing my Fast Days to match.

Basically, skipping breakfast & lunch while working, then a light 500 calorie dinner on both Tuesday & Thursday. Friday will be no breakfast, no lunch, then dinner out with DH, so that day becomes a 23:1 (ala jojo.)
    The other 4 days of the week will be TDEE. Should work out nicely.

Hoping to reverse my terrible trend & return to my February start weight.
    Then be off & running for more success in March!

Sorry I have still been so swamped. My readings and posts are taking a back seat to life right now.

Day 19 yesterday NFD
    Day 20 FD

@happymargo I do three 12s as well so I fast at work too. Everyone knows now not to offer me treats or I’ll karate chop them in the throat.

Day 20 USA (Illinois) – NFD

We’re setting records for temps these days in northern IL with sunny and lovely days. I wish I had gotten out to walk yesterday. Going to try to get to an exercise class this morning, PEO meeting (carefully eat at our treat time), out to supper, then Choral Society rehearsal. Will be a busy day.

Facebook shows a memory of a previous year just about every new day. Today was Feb. 20 2013 showing me and my husband out to dinner. What a FAT FACE I had! I can really see the difference with my current weight. The heavy weight was much sooner than I remembered.

@lindasue @eternallygrateful – how fun that your old sign-in showed up on that computer! I’m happy to see you, no matter what your moniker!

@bert1802 – the closet fun! We have joys and sorrows with this WOL, don’t we? I did enjoy giving away so many clothes to Goodwill. I also am more of a clothes hog that I ever thought I was. Perhaps that was one of my sorrow about my personality.

Strawberries– I can’t speak for everyone, but when I say I’m having a “Liquid only FD” it means I’m NOT eating my 500 calories. I stick with water, fizzy sparkling water, plain black coffee, herbal teas. And if I’m really needing it by dinner time, I’ll have a mug of homemade bone broth.

LOL, Mamacat — I’m glad your coworkers have learned to keep treats away from you. The classic throat punch would earn a trip to HR for sure. 😀

The break room is definitely a dangerous food trap. Everyone just piles up treats & sweets on the tables in there for easy snacking. I’ve completely given up snacking, eating only at meal times… So going into the work break room to make my tea or coffee is torture!

Day 20 – USA – NFD

Hi UK day 20 FD

Planning on 500 or 350 for dinner tonight and perhaps liquid only tomorrow as I won’t get back home until after 9pm (I do same as Happy Margo just water and coffee although I have a splash of milk in mine and if I feel the need, some bone broth or a cup of chicken bovril so there are some calories involved). With another fast on Thursday planned. Didn’t even weigh this morning as I felt heavy – no point in confirming it lol. Need to make some more progress so re-focusing my efforts and will not let OH derail me (though was very easily de-railed).

Offers to lead March?

Day 20 – USA – NFD
    Second post – I have a question about TDEEs which might be glaringly obvious to most of you, but I guess I should have researched it before I started IF. Which calculation of TDEEs do you aim for during the the 5NF days – the one to maintain your weight or the one to lose, say, 1 lb. a week? My TDEE to lose 1 lb. a week is a measly 1243 a day, and I have exceeded that amount every NFD; I don’t strictly record calories on NFDs, but I guesstimate. I probably should not complain about losing .5 to .75 each week, but I would like to know if I’m thinking about it correctly. Anyone?

Day 20-CD-Toronto
    Holiday Monday for many (Family Day) and another spectacular early touch of spring with clear blue sky and temperatures expected around +8-+10 Celsius; temperature records being broken everywhere consequently I walked a lot again yesterday. Over my TDEE due to the seductions of a croissant and coffee eaten outside, no regrets, as all good for the soul after our prolonged gloom in January and in no way do I pursue a life of food “sobriety”!

Day 20, Gozo, Malta, NFD

Wanted to fast today but didn’t and so today is a nfd for me. I’ll have my Eucharistic meeting today and it’s mass then an agape where everyone brings some food or drink and we share and eat there.

I’ll 1.3 kilos above target weight at 65.3 kilos as of this morning.

Have a great Monday everyone.

Georgia/ USA/ Day 20/FD:Gonna do a liquid only fast today. Just coffee and h20. I’ve been inspired by some of your posts. I think I need it to get my week started. Been gorging on n crap all weekend. Been off since Thursday. Apparently I’m not to be trusted with too much time on my hands. I need a reboot to get my mind right. Fingers crossed. If today goes as planned, maybe a b2b for me this week.

3rd post today

@happymargo – thanks for your explanation re liquid fasting.

@metatauta – regarding TDEE, my understanding is that the figure is a set figure based on your statistics and how much exercise you are doing regularly. If you click on RESOURCES, top of page, click on BMI calculator, you will be able to work out your total daily energy expenditure. It will also give you your Basic Metabolic Rate – generally the number of calories that you shouldn’t go under (apart from planned fast days). If you wish to speed up weight loss on the days you are not fasting, the nearer you can stick to your BMR figure the better. Go over your TDEE figure and you will be undoing the loss on your fast days. I hope that helps – but it will all become clear when you calculate your own figures.

@onahealthyhigh thanks a lot for taking the time to explain how you do this. I too have a history of counting calories along with points and syns. I have been very regimented about the 5:2 because it’s new to me and I want to give it my best shot. I agree that focusing on calories isn’t the healthiest way to be but I tend to be an all or nothing person so for now, I have to keep an eye on my intake.

@coda, I’m happy do the March challenge but I’m new to all this and not sure what I would need to do and whether a more experienced 5:2 usually takes the reins. I also go away for a week the beginning of March and for St Patrick’s weekend so might not have access to internet for a few days – if this means it’s just a question of catching up on my return then I’m happy to do.

Still day 20 FD country West Oz
    Second post. FD going OK but ate to 500 calories during day.
    @ dykask I would really love to be able to eat anything on NFD after a FD but unless I eat to TDEE or very close to it, the scales stay the same or go up.
    I read of you and others eating whatever they choose on NFD and still have a good result. ATM I am still having to be pretty strict calorie/ food wise. A bit disappointing but hopefully not for long.
    Have never been a dieter or counted calories prior to commencing 5:2 November 2016. Console myself that our journeys are all different.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,651 through 1,700 (of 2,266 total)

You must be logged in to reply.