2021 Monthly Challenge – Motivational March!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
2021 Monthly Challenge – Motivational March!

This topic contains 484 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 495 total)

• Hello friends

Whether you are missing your mojo, wanting to move more or move weight down, or are in maintenance, I welcome you to Motivational March!

Most of you know the drill, but for any newbies joining us, please read the following.

The monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016; and many of us have found them to be crucial in staying engaged and motivated on our weight loss journeys. Some of us are in maintenance while others are on the path to finding our happy weight. Regardless of where we are, this is a safe space to share, vent, seek and find support and advice. We have members from all over the world which makes it a great space to learn about the differences in each other’s cultures and languages.

If you are unfamiliar with how this works, the initial post begins with the day of the month, your physical location, and what kind of day you are planning; that is, a FD (fast day), NFD (non-fast day), CD (controlled day – to stay under TDEE) or a OMAD (one-meal-a-day day). So for example, Monday for me will be Day 1, NFD, Aus.

If you would like, please share a little bit about your personal journey with the group, but there is no pressure or obligation to do so.

The link to the spreadsheet will be posted shortly by the wonderful @at (thank you)once again); feel free to enter as much or as little information as you want in it.

You may also see references to a ‘pocket list’ on the forum. This is a list of names of people typically do a FD on a particular day and it can be helpful to mentally keep this list in your pocket, to remind you of the global support around you, and that you are not facing this alone. Recently, there have been FD pocket lists along with some other mini challenges/groups such as DTF (Dry ‘til Friday), ZBC (Zero Breakfast Club), and 30-minute exercise daily lists. In the past there were also pocket lists such as Egg fasters, Hula-hoopers, Plank challengers, and Club Tor-twah for those finding themselves in a super slow weight loss period! Anyone can start or join one of these groups or even start a Pocket List – it’s entirely up to you.

You may have some questions that have already been answered, so try this wonderful thread from @simcoeluv below:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

ABBREVIATION LIST

Here’s the list of common abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:
    16:8 – 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Fast Day (a FD below your goal weight TDEE, whatever that is!!!)
    DH,DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri (for those limiting the booze to weekend only ………….. & aiming for sainthood!!!!)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days……………. Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    HUNGER DRAGON – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!………………or Sexy!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home ……………….. Covid-19 enforced!!!
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

I look forward to seeing old friends and welcoming new ones. Anyone, everywhere, is welcome to join at any time. Be kind to yourself and each other and let’s have a momentous March!

Thank you so much for taking up the hosting role for this Motivational March Challenge @penz – I’m definitely in as I want to build on a successful Fab Fasters in February challenge with @basyjames

To all who join the challenge please find attached the link to the spreadsheet if you want to use it – hopefully I have given access to all to edit as they wish
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k__5m4e_EjUGi8ImKgonS1wDkmy4qJMn5Npq1wekdRI/edit?usp=sharing

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

@penz – thank you for setting up this challenge. I am in.

@penz – I would also like to join. Thanks very much. 🙂

I’m in for Motivational March!

I am a 46 y/o male in northeast Georgia in the US, and have lost 54 lbs since January 2020, the overwhelming amount of which has been thanks to 5:2. I was happy to see the end of my holiday plateau in February and hope to continue downwards this month. My goal is to lose an additional 71 lbs to get to a mid-range healthy weight (although truthfully, if I get to the high end of “healthy”, I’ll be thrilled). I am also hoping to no longer be categorized as “obese” by the end of summer. This month, my goal is to lose about four or five pounds, placing me at right about 220 lbs by the start of April. Good luck to everyone!

USA

Thanks you, Penz, for leading us through March! Count me in!

Portugal!

Iam in!!!

Hello hello!! Thank you for the spreadsheet, @at and great to see so many people on the last day of February.

A little about me. Married, two dogs, no kids. I think I started 5:2 about 4 years ago. When I stick to the ‘rules’, I lose weight. When I don’t, I gain back. Not rocket science!!! I usually aim for FDs on Mondays and Thursdays, and I’m a member of the ZBC. I find eating nothing on FDs works for me better than trying to limit myself to 500 calories. I’m an all or nothing kinda gal! So, one of the selfish reasons I am hosting this month is that I know that will hold me accountable, and I’ll be good. Realistically, I’d like to drop 2kg this month.

Hi all! Thanks for setting this challenge up and ddor the accountability spreadsheet. I’m giving 5:2 a go to shake things up a bit as I’ve regained some weight during this second lockdown (England) and am having trouble shifting it again. My goal is to lose 4lbs this month.

Count me in @penz and thanks for hosting. I’m a 68 year old female. I began 5:2 way back in 2014 with huge success, achieving my goal weight and maintaining at or below for over 5 years. In 2019 I had a health setback and struggled to fast then 2020 happened and the 🍷 got out of control. My March goal is to control the 🍷. Truth be told I’ll be happy if I post daily and remain accountable.

Day 1 Melbourne Australia, ZBC, CFD, Z🍷

Day 1, CD, Aus

I love day 1 of a challenge, especially when it starts on a Monday which is my usual FD. However, this morning I’m donating blood so that meant I had to have breakfast. I’m a hardened ZBC member so this was hard work!!!

To start off this motivational month, have a think about what things or self-talk really motivate you. Is it the thought of a treat once you’ve reached goal? Do you have an intrinsic reward that you can access immediately? Focus on what works!

Welcome early bird @onahealthyhigh! Super foggy here in the nation’s capital – how’s Melbourne? I lost the dog in our morning walk. Despite the full moon, it was too dark and foggy to see which way he galloped off into the gloom. Fortunately he found me again, so all is well.

Have a great Monday everyone!

I’m in for March. thank you for taking the lead. See you on day 1, all.

Day 1 – NSW, AU – MFD

Hope I’m not too late to rejoin… I fell off the wagon big time since Christmas and my weight plateaued at 91kg (201lb) but I’m going to try again, I saw results and want to keep going!

I’ll be doing what I call a ‘Loose Fast 800’, where some days I’ll have a CFD and I also like my carbs so it’s not a true 800 as per the book.

Bit about me – 38, F and living in country NSW, Australia. At my heaviest I was 106kg but managed to get that down to my now weight of 91.2kg thanks to 10 weeks of IF & my loose Fast800. I’d like to get down to 70kg at the most, but thanks to covid and the uncertainty of life in general my original plan of getting to that by November this year will probably not happen (Booked in for a Trans Siberian Rail Adventure in December/January but not sure if Aussies will even be allowed to leave by then, so probably have to cancel it) but we’ll wait and see. Doesn’t help matters that my mental health issues are flaring up again after 6 years, that’s what has zapped my motivation and made me crave junk food… hopefully I’ll get that under control too and I will once again like the person I see in the mirror.

Day 1 OMAD London

Looking forward to the March challenge. It feels like Spring here in London and under normal conditions we would all feel very lighthearted and optimistic, but this year, not so much. Let’s hope things improve.

Perth, Western Australia, new to fasting, I’m in for the challenge.

Day 28 Florida, USA FD @penz Please count me in for March again. My February results have been disappointing. I intend to be stricter for March. Tgank you for hosting.

I’m in 😊 Weight has crept up and I am turning 40 at the end of this year. Struggling with motivation due to lack of social occasions/summer holiday this year but hoping that this forum and my birthday looming
    will help. I’ve have followed FD before and know it works. JBG, Scotland, FD today (day one…… I’ll prob be in bed by 9pm! 😂)

Day 1 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

First day of a new month. Planning for it to be a good one. I will get off this plateau but I will also concentrate on good nutrition and exercise to assist with menopausal symptoms.. I feel good, I feel healthy, just need to lose weight now 😀

I am 53, F, living in rural Ireland with DH and our cat, 4 stepchildren and 1 Grandaughter who I haven’t seen in ages thanks to C19. I was slim all my life until I stopped smoking in 2002 (19 years now 😀), and that was my best health decision. Weight slowly started to creep up and I am a veteran of weight watchers, the Dukan Diet, and all work to a certain degree, but weight comes back if one is not stringent. I have gained 2 stone in the past two years and want to shift it, but menopause has also happened so it’s not as easy.

I plan for an OMAD FD on Tuesday and Thursday, DTF and keep vigilant at the weekend.

Day 1 UK FD

Morning all I’m 59 married live on the South Coast and we currently have both our sons 23 & 26 living with us

I’ve been losing the same 2 stones most of my life , thought I’d cracked it when I first found 5-2 back in 2016 lost my extra weight and stayed steady for a good few years then whoosh too many holidays, celebrations etc and in a very short space of time put most of it back on I am now nearing my goal weight so for March my goals are 4lb loss and work on belly busting

Day 1 – UK – TDEE

Good morning from another sunny day in Cumbria 🌤 Weight this morning back up slightly to 56kg, from my lowest on 26/2 at 55.5kg, not surprised as had NFDs above TDEE on Friday and Saturday but did manage to stay under TDEE yesterday.

Thank you to @penz for hosting us for this Motivational March – looking forward to building on the good work I did in February 🤞

Great to have some new faces joining us early in the challenge – welcome to @nuno @aliev @purdstar @jelbelgil and welcome back to @toady

For those new to the challenges a brief introduction:-
    I am a 62y.o. female living with my DH, we have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 cats and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I had gained weight during my last couple of years at work and was fed up with being overweight and wanted to enjoy my early retirement and get fitter!
    I decided to join the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 with the help of these challenges and have remained in maintenance range of 54-56kg/119-123.5lbs and a BMI of just over 20 since then – Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs. Height = 165cm

Since reaching maintenance I had my first big wobble between December and January finding that my weight had crept up to 58.1kg when I was brave enough to step on the scales!! So it was time to buckle down and do something before the weight kept creeping up and up – I had a controlled February, and luckily managed to get my “Mojo” back!! I also went alcohol free except for two occasions and I’m pretty sure that that helped me and MFP was my friend once more too helping me refocus on portion control!

For this Motivational March challenge I’m aiming for
    DTF
    FD500 x 2
    TDEE x 3
    Relax and enjoy some 🍷🥂on my 2 x NFD
    Drinking at least 2L water daily
    Continuing with my weekly exercise regime Yoga x 3 – HIP x 1 – Aerobics x 1 Broga x 2 and going for hikes whenever the weather permits (at least 3 times a week)

Started this morning with my zoom Broga session with OH joining me on the mat too! Need to go for a food shop today and then planning on doing a walk this afternoon covering at least 10,000 steps!

Remembering my motivational quote this month “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

Very frosty start to the morning, but bright sunshine and the frost disappearing very quickly, going to be a beautiful day, kicking off the march challenge with a FD.

Thanks to @penz for leading the way this month, hope everyone has a good one.

I’m here for this, the next monthly challenge, ‘found’ this group in July 2019 and never looked back! I’m a 65 year old bloke who over the years had put on a lot of weight, but thanks to this WOL have now lost a load, feel and look, a lot better!

Since joining the monthly challenges in July 2019 have lost 60 pounds / 28.6 kg and feel so much better. Prior to joining this group I’d lost 20 pounds / 7.8 kg between 2014 and 2019. BMI down from 40.9 in Sept 2014 to 29.4 today.

I have found the help and encouragement of the members of this group fantastic. The 5:2 WOL really does work, especially with help of my forum friends.

Hobbies, walking, brewing craft beer, baking bread, rugby union (watching these days, my playing days are long over) and gardening.

Aim for the month is maintaining, but that was last months challenge plan and I lost 2 lbs!

Take care all

Pocket list Day 1
    @mogaman
    @jelbelgil
    @brightonbelle
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 1 Melb Aust NFD

Hi @penz, I’m in for March. I sadly resonate with @brightonbelle “I’ve been losing the same two stones most of my life” – maybe not most of my life, but for the past 14 years, yes. So, even on 5:2, I’ve yo-yo-ed, down then up, down then up. One victory is that the “up” is still 6 kg less than where I started, but I still have to find my mojo again and not just lose some weight, but keep it off. As I gave away all my “really fat” clothes, if I go higher than my current weight, a new wardrobe will be needed. No thanks!

So, onward and downwards everyone. This month is the start of the rest of our lives, so let’s make it count.

Day 1- Glasgow- FD

Hi everyone I’m starting the fast diet for the first time ever today and motivational March seems like a good opportunity to kick start things. I have a stubborn 7 pounds to lose which being a WOCA has not shifted with anything else so here goes. I’ve heard great things about the Fast Diet and have bought the cook book so here goes.
    I’m out every day walking my black lab but walking alone isn’t enough. I’m really looking forward to doing this month with you all.
    Best wishes.

Day 1 – Canada – FD

Good morning from the east coast of Canada. It’s a chilly day and we’re either getting rain or snow ❄️ they can’t quite decide 😊. I’m a 60 year old woman and recently retired. I’ve lost 27 lbs / 12.2 kgs since this time last year. Much of it I attribute to joining the 12 week FAST800 programme. My goal weight is 128 lbs / 58 kgs and I hope to get there by summer.

Thank you @penz for hosting. I like your question about self-talk. I definitely like getting treats when I reach a goal. Must learn how to make those treats NOT chocolate! When I get to 132 / 60 I’ll treat myself to a pedicure.

My goal this month is to lose 4 pounds. I’m currently at 136.4 / 62 with a healthy BMI so finding it slow going. Thankfully the folks on this forum are so helpful and motivational. 🙏

Pocket list Day 1
    @mogaman
    @jelbelgil
    @brightonbelle
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @dvw

Day one, UK, OMAD

Hi p thanks so much for hosting

As I enter March I am reflecting on the questions that at BASYJAMES asked…

In January and February I was thinking, can I remember how to do this and will I be successful at doing it?

As I enter March, I am now thinking, yes I can do this and yes I can be successful!

So whilst the novelty has worn off, the good news is that I am entering a month with that lovely feeling of familiarity with the task ahead…

Day 1 – USA/GA – FD

Whoops!!! I’m starting off today the exact same weight as I started Feb. 1, at 229 lbs. That’s a 4 lb increase in mostly water weight since Thursday morning. Too much sugar and salt. Well, a lot of milk to use before it goes sour, so I thought — CHOCOLATE PUDDING. No, I didn’t eat it all over the weekend, haha! But unlike February’s starting point, the previous week averaged at 226 lbs, so I am hopeful despite this little glitch, I’ll be getting back to the mid-220s this week. Need to increase the water intake each day while getting better sleep and keeping snacking at bay on NFDs. There, got my plan.

My hope is to get to the low 220s by the end of this month. Hmmm, 219 by Easter? OK, that may be a little ambitious, but let’s see how close we get!

My treat? I need to rethink it, because subconsciously, I like to celebrate with food it seems. I have mini-ceremonies of breaking links in my paper chain, or having milestones I change from green to red when I hit that goal weight. I think my best reward is fitting into old clothes and packing away those shirts and trousers that are way too big. Maybe I need something else motivational? I will see what other people say and perhaps get some new ideas!

Good luck to everyone on the pocket list today and to all during this Motivational March!

Pocket list Day 1
    @mogaman
    @jelbelgil
    @brightonbelle
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @dvw
    @lmarm
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

I am Gwynne, 72-year-old woman, live with my DH(73) in northwestern Illinois, rolling hills, farm and dairy area. I’m a retired school music teacher, still do private piano lessons and church music. Once we are able to meet again, I will sing with our local Choral Society and work at our children’s museum.

I’m a ‘true original’ having joined @coda in May 2016 for her first challenge. Been on every one since then. Started 5:2 March 2016 at nearly 200# (90kg) and lost 40# down to 72.5kg by January 2017. It’s been pretty much maintenance since then. At my age, a 25BMI keeps most of the wrinkles away. I’m a little more than I want to be right now but mainly happy with 6:1 these days. I do Silver Sneakers 3x a week pretty faithfully.

I’m looking forward to getting to know you newbies. Thank you @penz for hosting this month!

Onward and downward.

Day 1 UK FD

Thanks @penz for hosting this month

I’m F57 living in London. I put on weight over 10 years after ill health reduced mobility, I stopped smoking and menopause. I started 5:2 in Dec 2017 weighing 181lb/82kg and in 9 months got down to 145lbs/66kg – an epic achievement now I look back on it. All good – but in Sept 2019 I fell off the waggon after sudden bereavement. I stayed 10lbs overweight for the next six months then caught covid Feb 2020. The initial infection wasn’t too bad but it’s led to long covid with a lot of health issues, most recently hypertension. I rejoined challenges in January 2021 weighing 174lb and have plateaued at 168lbs through Feb. Now I’ve got 21lbs to lose and a fat suit to shrink

Goals for March are to stick to vegan Lent, drink lots more water and move FDs to Monday & Wednesday. I’ll aim for earlier nights and more sleep – the biggest enemy of willpower is weariness. Plus daily meditation and gentle adapted yoga x 3 /week. I’m hoping that all of these will result in a weight loss of 4lbs but i’m not getting stuck on the numbers – it’s all progress 🙂

Pocket list Day 1
    @mogaman
    @jelbelgil
    @brightonbelle
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @dvw
    @lmarm
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @michelinme

PS @at thank you for the spreadsheet. Would you be able to pin the headers? I struggle to fill in the columns with no guide – and keep ending up in someone else’s space! Thank you 🙂

USA. Day 1. FD800

Pocket List Day 1

@mogaman
    @jelbelgil
    @brightonbelle
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @dvw
    @lmarm
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @michelinme
    @ccco

DTF
    @ccco

Good morning, everyone! Can’t believe it’s March already. Good luck in the new month! 🙂

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

A little about me: I’m 62, I’m 20-25 lbs away from my goal, but 15 pounds lighter than I was a year ago, so that’s progress. I’m also just getting over covid, and the weariness is astonishing. So saying I’ll exercise and I’ll get so many steps and I’ll do this and I’ll do that–well, maybe I’ll do all that and maybe the weariness will have me collapsed on the sofa.

I was just getting ready to undergo hypnosis to get my will power under control when DH and I both got sick and tested positive, so I’m hoping to undergo hypnosis this week, and hoping it will make a big difference in my motivation, which is strong every morning and essentially non-existent every late-afternoon/evening.

In the middle of all the covid stuff, DH gave up alcohol for Lent…but he didn’t tell me, or invite me to join him. I’m a few days late, but have decided to join him, so am hoping that a combination of hypnosis, a disciplined approach to 5:2, the addition of plenty of exercise (hopefully), and zero alcohol will lead to reaching 143 by Easter morning. Best I can do is try, right?

It’s a delight to see so many new names, and we’re delighted to welcome you all; please chatter away as you feel led to, and know that the moment you show up here, you’re considered a valued member of this group!

@northerndawn, I’m so glad your DS and DDIL are not too horribly sick; interesting about DDIL being O-neg and not being as sick as your DS.

@penz, I have no idea what my motivation is…that’s what’s led to such a stall on me losing any weight since last summer. I think it’s clothes, but most of the clothes in my closet fit me. Except for the jeans/slacks, which are all a bit too tight for complete comfort. So for now, I’m going to focus on those pants feeling better once I’ve lost 5-7 pounds. And, funny story about losing your dog in the fog! So glad he came back to you! Thanks for hosting Motivational March!

Day 1 North Canton OH WFD 6

I love the first day of the month, and what a gift to start day 1 on a Monday, and the first temperate day (weather wise) in a long while. The sun even peeked out a few minutes ago. All good vibes.

I went for my first run of the year earlier this morning, aided by my daughter’s relentless insistence that we go for one; and as usual, I felt good during and after.

Here is my story. I turned 46 this year and I am going through “the change”. In a couple of months it will be official; I will be in menopause-no more babies for me.
    I am the mother to two girl 18 & 16, and wife of 20 years to my DH. I was skinny as a teen and young adult and did not worry about my weight until after I had my first kid. Then lumps and bulges started to appear, mostly because I did not know how to eat healthy. I lost weight with WW but noticed about 8 years ago that the usual tricks were not working for me; I just could not shift the weight no matter how I tried. I stumbled on 5:2 while conducting a desperate online search for weight loss tips and have not looked back since. I lost 20 pounds very quickly – 4 months; and then tried to maintain. Maintenance was up and down, because I took my ability to lose weight quickly for granted.
    It is no longer as easy as it used to be; losing a pound or two takes an incredible amount of self-discipline but I am here for it.
    I plan to get halfway to my maintenance goal this month – God willing. I only need to lose 8 pounds to get to my goal. I have built some significant amount of muscle and I am stronger than I used to be, I can lift heavier and run/walk farther and faster. I also intend to food-journal everyday-when I am eating; like @penz fast days for me used to be zero calorie days. I would like to engage in more water fasts this month (at least 10) – last month was too cold to water fast and I am behind schedule; I had planned to log 75 water fasts this year.

Spring is around the corner and soon summer will be here. Hopeful that we can turn the corner on this pandemic and begin interacting physically with each other again, I know I am ready. My motivation? Short term I have a couple beach trips planned this year and I prefer to look good in my beach gear. Long term, I like feeling and looking good and I do not like the way I feel (or sleep) when I am overweight.

I was fit and trim before the lock down, and I would prefer that to be the case when we start interacting with others again. A new wardrobe is a no-no at this point; I have spent too much money on clothes over the last 8 years and I cannot stomach the idea of starting over. I would rather lose the extra weight.

Welcome to all the newbies, hello to all the veterans and thank you for hosting us this month @penz

Day 1 UK FD

Many thanks to @penz for guiding us through March. My weight loss goal for March is 2 kg, ambitious I know but I need something to aim for.

Good luck to everyone today!

Day 1 MN/US FD500

Sorry for the late (and brief) check – in. A busy day! Yesterday I came in at 867 cals, and today about 450 calories. My goal for March is to get rid of 4 pounds of fat and gain a bit of muscle by using weights 2x week, walking 5x/week and doing yoga 3x/week.

Thank you so much for hosting this month @penz!

Day 2, NFD, Aus

Good to see you back @toady. If I recall correctly, you had a noisy troublesome housemate last year. Have things improved in 2021? Hope your home life has been restored to a semblance of peace and tranquility.

Good to have another Aussie on board, welcome @purdstar.

I’m also intending on being stricter this month, @mogaman. Together we can do it.

@Jelbelgi: You’ve got months to plan the most awesome social event to celebrate your 40th. And the best gift you could treat yourself is to look back on successful months of 5:2. Hope that works for some motivation!

Welcome to you too, @Imarm. Having a dog is a great way to get you out and about.

I love getting a pedi too @dvw. Great treat to look forward to!

And hello again dear friends, @daffodil2010, @Brighton Belle, @at, @FiveTwoFan52525, @betsylee, @IHL, @northgeorgia, @songbirdme, @michelinme, @ccco, @stitchincarol, @basyjames, @northerndawn. What a great supportive community we have. For you newbies out there – please stick with us!!

I really like your idea @northgeorgia of ripping off your paper chain links. It won’t work for me but I’m also open to others’ ideas. I do like the feeling of being able to fit back into a favourite piece of clothing that has been banished to the back of the wardrobe for my last few fat years. Maybe @stitchincarol’s hypnotist will give us some DIY tips!

@basyjames: I too like the way I sleep better when I’m lighter. Oh a full night’s sleep is definitely a reward for sticking to 5:2!

We are both aiming for a 2kg loss, @mia139. It’s entirely realistic!

Day 2 CD, no 🍷, Melbourne Australia
    A quick check in from chilly Melbourne. The support and camaraderie on these challenges is amazing. I can feel my mojo returning already. My moto for the month is one day at a time. Thank you @penz for hosting.

Day 2 North Queensland Australia, TDEE

Hi Everyone, I’d like to join you all on the March challenge.

I’ve been on the 5:2 before, about 6 years ago and did really well, losing 16 kilos to reach my target weight. But, some of that weight has gradually crept up, then suddenly leapt up about 12 months ago. So I’ve been following a low carb diet for about 6 months now and slowly been losing some of the gains. However it’s been slower than when I was on the 5:2 and then I hit a plateau so I’d like to get back on the 5:2.

I’ve not been drinking much alcohol for 6 months but overdid it on the sparkling wine on Saturday and suffered dreadfully for it. I felt really sick and had a day of fully carb loading on Sunday as I was craving all the bad things I’d not had for 6 months and found I had put on 1.5 kilos in a weekend!!!

So, back on the 5:2 for me. I hope motivational March will be a kick start for me.
    Look forward to hearing how you are all doing too 🙂

Day 2 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

I start my March FD’s today with a lot of motivation to just actually DO it and I am going for an OMAD. I used to do that and LFD’s back in 2018 when I was most certainly a racehorse in the 5:2 game…….so if I could do it then, I can do it now.

Tonight’s OMAD is a white bean, carrot, Brocolli and lentil soup…..nothing but herbal teas and lemon infused water until tonight.

I have weighed the same, almost to the quarter pound, since November, so adding in proper FD’s (and not just imagining them) will hopefully move me on.

Like @betsylee and @brightonbelle it’s the two stone mark that I lose and gain….thankfully however each time I never go back to top 2013 weight, and in fact, it’s shy by a stone and I never want to go back there.

Motivation is to fit back into my jeans…I have been wearing comfortable work trousers with elastic waistbands for the last year, I still fit into my shirts and blouses….but anything requiring a zip and a button is a no-no. I will NOT buy new fat clothes, so it’s time to get cracking on fitting into the jeans.

Pocket list day 2 – Together we are Stronger
    @daffodil2010

Day 2 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Another beautiful chilly morning, not a cloud around and the sun burning off the mist, superb. Was just the same yesterday morning so we were out on a good long walk, my main form of exercise! Up through the village and then along to the local farm, they’ve had a busy time, the intake fields have ewes and lambs, all basking in the sun or the lambs playing in groups. At the farm, the inside pens were full of recently lambed ewes and their youngsters, only hours old and yet on their feet and suckling. Only keep them in for a short while especially in the dry weather.
    Dropping down from the farm onto the lower fields, spent a few minutes watching buzzards displaying looking to pair up, stood out really well against the blue sky. From there down to the estuary, still a bit early for the returning Ospreys, but won’t be long now. The Herons are starting to gather on the estuary and they’ll be starting nesting in the local woods any time soon.
    Love the fact that we can do our exercise, burn the calories and see so much, without having to start the car, all in walking distance of our front door.

Alongside the 5:2 WOL I use walking and counting calories (using the My Fitness Pal APP) the best and easiest way for me. Usually have Monday and Thursday my 2 FD’s, 4 days a week stay around the 15/1600 calories, but don’t worry too much as long as I stay below my Basic Metabolic Rate, which is 1721 calories, my weekly treat, Friday (or Saturday) my ‘day off’ and have pretty much whatever I want. Slow and sure, it’s worked for me.

Take care all.

Day 2 – NSW, AU – MFD

Kept under my 800 calories for the day, a 20 hour fast followed by a satay chicken for lunch and a hot cross bun as a snack. I feel good that I was able to resist the sourdough rolls in the freezer with peanut butter.

@penz – Yes you are correct in remembering that, but thankfully he moved out just after I got home from holidays (first week of January). The new guy seems to be quiet but with 2 other rooms now vacant hopefully they’ll get decent and quiet people in!!

Day 2 – Ireland – FD
    Day 1 – NFD

Hi all!
    Thank you @penz for hosting this month and thank you @basyjames for last month 👏
    I am back on track ish after a few months away from the challenges… and it feels good to be back 👍

I have to look back to my goals for last year and and see how I’m doing but sitting in the low 160lbs now which feels good… I think I was at 180lbs when I joined the challenges back in 2017…
    Still very active but creaking a bit now… think it’s down to auto immune conditions and menopause… but will keep on moving…
    Good very long spin 🚴 and walks in my 5km zone this weekend and I’m tired today…
    Hayfever has also hit so all in all I’m feeling sorry for myself 😂😂 it always starts around now but I usually have skiing 🎿 to look forward to and distract me 😂🥲
    Anyhooooo….
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Pocket list day 2
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim

Day 2 – Canada – NFD

Good morning. Had a good FD yesterday, kept the calories under 800. I’ll be using MFP more often this month. Amazing how quickly those calories add up!

Today I’m off to lunch to celebrate a friend’s birthday. I’ve already looked at the menu and preparing to choose something delicious and healthy. Are fries healthy? Ha ha ha.

@IHL – your walk sounds positively idyllic. It’s wonderful that you enjoy every moment and don’t take it for granted. I’ll be walking inside today, it’s still freezing cold here and not at all pleasant for walking.

I love hearing all the stories from people going through the same thing. Take care.

Day 2 Lisbon, Portugal

My first 36 hours of fasting went quite well.
    In my plan I had planned to do next fast day on Thursday, but as it is my wife’s birthday and I’m thinking to anticipate the next fast day to tomorrow. Is there a problem where the two fasting days are only one day apart?

Thanks
    Nuno

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Today’s weigh-in, 226 lbs. Going to try to control my meals today by taking away “snack-o-tunities.” My plan is to skip breakfast (not hungry this morning) and eat my banana and boiled egg along with my lunch (or saving my banana for a mid-afternoon snack). I was surprised how successful that was in the last couple of weeks, so it’s ZBC again today.

@nuno I typically do my fast days on Mondays and Wednesdays. Shouldn’t be a problem! I just have to remember if there’s a special occasion like a birthday where I may eat more than I’m accustomed to, I try not to eat or snack as heavily during other meal times that day. Also, since typically my FD ends on Wednesday and the next one restarts Monday, that makes four days of no fasting. I don’t worry, but I do have to be sure I don’t eat over my recommended normal calorie intake for those days. I know weekends and special days are a little tough for me, so instead, I’ve tried to focus on being careful on weekday non-FDs. But honestly, I wouldn’t even worry about any of this unless you see you haven’t lost any weight in a couple of months.

I don’t know if I’ll see 224 on Thursday morning, but that number is coming up soon. I can feel it haha

Good luck to everyone on the pocket lists today.

Pocket list day 2
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Day 2 UK FD

Successful FD yesterday and aiming to do the same today. As usual at the start of the month I am full of optimism and determination to do well. I just have to find a way to keep that going for the whole month! Experience tells me that posting / reading on the forum every day is the best way to achieve my goal due to the great inspiration and support.
    So onwards and downwards and good luck to all fasters today.

Day 2 USA (Illinois) FD

Despite good exercise yesterday, I also cleaned up a lot of weekend leftovers from the fridge. Need to do a FD today.

Pocket list day 2
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @songbirdme

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Onward and downward.

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

Yesterday ended up excellent. I ended up going to the gym with DH, rather than trying to walk with Leslie, which seemed far too ambitious for my limited energy. All I did there was walk on the treadmill–or, should I say, I ambled, I strolled on the treadmill–but 1.7mph was a speed I could maintain so I called it good. Everyone there knew I’d had covid and no one laughed. At least not to my face! 🤣😂😁 Someday, I’ll be back to my usual 3.8+ mph, and until then, I was glad to have been there. We ended up going to Omaha for some long-overdue errands, so I actually ended up getting 8K steps yesterday, the most in a LONG time, and burned 1755 calories. For supper (our OMAD FD500) we had a poke bowl. I’m not certain what the calories were, because the restaurant only provided a range, not exact numbers, but I’m guessing the option I chose ended up between 600 and 700. So, more than planned, but still reasonable, and perhaps even close to 500? Now to pull off such activity and reasonable eating again today!

@penz, I’m so glad you asked @toady about her awful housemate; I meant to ask yesterday, and forgot. @toady I’m so happy for you that Awful Man is gone; YAY for small blessings, eh? And I’m so happy you’re back with us; I missed you!

@reddog Bummer on the excesses of the weekend…I believe that’s what @i-hate-lettuce calls being silly. 😂🤣😂🤣 Good luck with finding your balance within 5:2. I’m not always successful with losing weight with it, because I often eat too much on NFDs, but it has ensured I haven’t gained back the 15# I lost last spring, and I truly see it as something I’ll do the rest of my life. Hopefully you’ll feel the same joy in this WOL as many of us do.

@i-hate-lettuce What a lovely walk I got to enjoy along with you and MrsIHL; thanks for the description!

@jaifaim So glad you’re back with us; I’ve missed you!

@nuno No, it’s not a problem at all to have the FDs only a day apart. In fact, some people like to do them one right after the other. The only problem with that is that it can be a little more difficult to control the eating on NFDs since there are five of them in a row. But when it’s your wife’s birthday, then that’s what you have to do! 🥰

@songbirdme Those leftovers are sometimes the biggest enemies of successful FDs, aren’t they? I’ve gotten far better over the past few years (since our kids all flew the nest) about not making huge portions, and now I’m even getting good about making only enough for the one meal…but it’s been a challenge, and it certainly doesn’t always happen!

I’ve been stalling for weeks, but it’s time now to start the paperwork to do taxes. For you non-Americans, tax day is April 15, and I prefer to be done long before Easter. My guess is that it takes me about twenty hours to do my part of preparing for our accountant, and today I’d like to get three hours in. Wish me luck! I hope the rest of you have far more fun than doing tax paperwork, LOL!

USA. Day 2. FD800

@daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @songbirdme
    @ccco

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

DTF
    @ccco

Thank you, Penz, for hosting March.

Day 2 North Canton OH FD

Yesterday was a very busy day for me and the waterfast went surprisingly well, no headaches. I also slept like a rock!

After some deliberation, I broke my fast with half an avocado, a baked chicken thigh, an apple and a glass of kombucha. It was a filling meal and I feel great.
    One of our bible study partners was feeling down and someone suggested we send her flowers at work, which we did. It is funny how doing something like that blesses both the givers and the receiver. The sun is shining today and it feels like anything is possible.

@mia139 posting and reading on this forum is what got me back on track

@stitchincarol so glad you were able to do so much yesterday, no worries you will be flying on the treadmill in no time

@i hate lettuce what a scenic walk, thank you for sharing

@nuno a lot of solid advice for you, keep in mind that the key to a successful fasting lifestyle is to find what works for you and follow it. Also stay flexible to maintain compliance, a regimen that worked for you in the past may not work at certain times in your life depending on what you have going on.

Pocket list
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @songbirdme
    @ccco
    @basyjames

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

DTF
    @ccco

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 495 total)

You must be logged in to reply.