๐Ÿ November 2023 Challenge ๐Ÿ

This topic contains 224 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  AT 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 225 total)

• Day 10 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Had to travel a lot with the group yesterday, and the breakfast/lunch was heavier than expected…think I’m retaining water — I’ll be sure to drink more today and do ZBC this morning.

Day 11 NFD but should be a FD NZ

I had one of my baking days yโ€™dayโ€ฆ sourdough, Xmas cake and flapjack biscuits. Oh dear! A little too much cake batter passed my lips esp EtOH soaked dried fruit with treacleโ€ฆ The dog and burger night was postponed till this evening. A friend is coming over at lunchtime at his invitation so Iโ€™ll have to prepare somethingโ€ฆ some days friends and food just get the better of youโ€ฆ Vegetable soup here I come next weekโ€ฆ
    Splendas looks like a rogue post to meโ€ฆ
    Mr Macintosh had the fastest Westie cut yโ€™day. He doesnโ€™t tolerate standing around for grooming now and today itโ€™s hairwash day. Tomorrow is the annual Westie and Scottie walk and sausage sizzle at one of our big city parks. Iโ€™m on the national committee and will need to be there early so no posting. My Monday FD canโ€™t come soon enough!!

Cheers everyone! Have a fun weekend!
    Steely resolve next week!!!

Day 11 โ€“ South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – FD

@merryapple – enjoy the westie walk/sausage sizzle tomorrow. You’re almost in the 70’s! ๐ŸŽฏ I reported the dodgy @splendas post.

@jaifaim – yes, I do love breakfast foods – just not at ‘breakfast time’. On the rare occasion I’ve eaten early, I’ve always been ravenous by lunchtime. And I never feel hungry first thing anyway, so it seems pointless. From what I’ve read, 3 meals per day only became popular after 1800 & the start of the Industrial Revolution. Before that it was the norm to have only two meals a day.

@stitchincarol – you’re conspicuous by your absence; I hope all is okay.

Dr Michael Mosley on mini-fasts:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12735809/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-MINI-fasts-help-ward-infection-protect-against-cancer.html

The sun’s shining again, but it’s blowing a hoolie out there today, +50 km/h winds. So apart from maybe a walk around the complex later, I’m going nowhere today.

@flourbaby – yes! Joining you on the list today. @excelsior12309 too! A rare Saturday pocket list; let’s get it done in No-Nonsense November ๐Ÿ’ช

Have a good weekend everyone ๐ŸŒค ๐ŸŒˆ

Pocket List – Day 11 ๐Ÿ‹
    @funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby
    @excelsior12309

Day 11 – Ireland – NFD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธโœ… ๐ŸŒพ

Just in from a big long walk and brunch. Yum ๐Ÿ˜‹
    @flourbaby awww I really wish I could ignore and carry on ๐Ÿ˜‡ Iโ€™ve tried but the debilitating headaches etc mean I just canโ€™tโ€ฆ it is very much a case of feeling a little hard done by some of the time (when out to dinner, eating at friends, work cafeteria etc.) but it is what it isโ€ฆ
    Splendas post reported as spam โœ”๏ธ
    @merryapple your bake day sounds divine! Iโ€™ve just picked up some GF flour so am going to attempt to bake something this weekend.. has been ages..
    Yes @stitchincarol hope all is ok?

Aw always kudos to the weekend fasters ๐Ÿ‘ @excelsior12309, @flourbaby and @funshipfreddie

Onward and downward

Day 11 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Yeah, I’ll be on track again next week, then Thanksgiving. It’s been a frustrating two years. Ironically, the thing that seemed to work best was adding OMAD NFDs to FDs. Since that worked before, that may be where I refocus. Anyway, tomorrow is a FD!

Day 9 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Okay, that’s as far as I got on Thursday, and now it’s day 11. I’ll be back, I promise. But for now, I’m thinking and hunting for my mojo.

Day 12 โ€“ South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD 71.0 kg

Sunday morning PFDS! @stitchincarol – I think I’ve got enough mojo for both of us; I wish I could email it to you. Although, mine goes up & down like a yo-yo. Much of the time it’s just sheer stubbornness & refusing to let my body get the better of me.

A new twice-yearly injection to treat hypertension:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12738469/Millions-high-blood-pressure-patients-offered-simple-twice-year-jab-instead-daily-pills-protect-against-heart-attacks-strokes.html

Quite funny – The joy of hitting 62..
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12738585/theatre-foreign-holidays-pub-getting-older-Marcus-Berkmann.html from ‘Still a Bit of Snap in the Celery’ ๐Ÿ˜‚

@northgeorgia – wishing you a hassle-free FD ๐Ÿ’ช

Happy S๐ŸŒžnday!

“The most effective way to do it, is to do it”. ~ Amelia Earhart

Pocket List – Day 12 ๐Ÿฅ•
    @northgeorgia

Day 12 – Ireland – NFD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธโœ… ๐ŸŒพ

No cycling today.. High winds, cold and rain but will go out for a walk – in heavy duty rain gear.
    Great quite @funshipfreddieโ€ฆ Just Do It. ๐Ÿ‘

@stitchincarol we all have times like thisโ€ฆ you far less than others I would say and we miss your chatter but weโ€™ll see you when youโ€™re ready. ๐Ÿ’•

Go for it today @northgeorgia ๐Ÿ’ช

Onward and downward โฌ‡๏ธ
    We rise by lifting others ๐Ÿ’•

Grrrr ๐Ÿ˜– Damn autocorrect!

Day 12 – UK – NFD

Good morning all – apologies for my absence for the past few days but life just got busy and unfortunately no fasting, even my planned Day 6 FD did not materialise as after my evening yoga class I had an unplanned meet up with some friends for a drink and some food….

We had a fab curry (ate way too much as a result of sharing different curries!!) before seeing “The Calendar Girls” on Day 7 which was brilliant and as it was the opening night in Leeds, the original calendar girls who feature in the play were in attendance – fabulous night – I had not realised that only 6 of the original ladies had signed up to the film hence only their characters being featured….

We did the scenic drive there and back stopping for some sight seeing and a light lunch which I also ate (despite planning not to!!) so definitely no fasting

Since getting back home, unexpected visit from friends down south so despite some lovely walks with them, it also meant entertaining so wine and good food featured too – gorgeous sunny weather so far after the horrible rain on Thursday so made the most of it.

Going to see a telecast of Don Quixote by the Royal Ballet this afternoon with a group of friends then going for an early supper to celebrate one of our group’s 70th birthday

@flourbaby – unlike you my resolutions have slipped this past week but managed a OMAD yesterday and aiming for the same again today so should stay within my TDEE before a much needed FD tomorrow
    @carol_bt – welcome – never too late to join the party
    @funshipfreddie – it was Maureen Nolan who featured in the play and yesterday’s hike was over 10 miles, just over 25,000 steps – feeling it a bit today in my๐Ÿฆต
    @effelle90 – welcome – personally I track on FD and try to be mindful on NFD but will sometimes track daily if I want to get back on track after a bad week like currently ๐Ÿคฃ
    @daffodil2010 – lovely to read your post – life just takes over sometimes as I know
    @snowflower – all the best with the surgery – see you back here soon x
    @merryapple – thought of you yesterday – during our walk we came across a couple with a gorgeous 13 week old Westie – he was full of beans and just gorgeous โค๏ธ

I have loads to do before heading out for the ballet at 2pm so will end here and get myself going……these tasks will not do themselves…

โ€œIf I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am nowโ€

Day 12 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Yuck. Let’s get this ride started. I’ll put up the outdoor decorations today to keep me busy.

Pocket List โ€“ Day 12 ๐Ÿฅ•
    @northgeorgia

Day 12 USA/Hawaii CD
    Sorry to have disappeared again. Weigh in still holding at 164. Right now I am ok with just stopping any additional gain. I am in a mental lock down but I know that is normal following major trauma. So I will do the best I can today and not worry about tomorrow.
    I am using MFP most every day and keeping the eating within an 8 hour window. Havenโ€™t been out walking but doing Coach Kimโ€™s 30 minute recumbent stationary bike workout most everyday. She adds upper body with small weights so itโ€™s pretty good. Certainly better than doing nothing lol.
    Old friends dropping by so I must get house and myself cleaned up a bit.
    Thanks to all of you for keeping this life line up and going.

Day 13 FD NZ

Monday the 13th but could be Friday the 13thโ€ฆ
    I had a bad bad food weekend and was well out of control sampling too many sausages and baking at the BBQโ€ฆ Then I came home with leftovers and continued to eatโ€ฆ the dragon is never far awayโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜ฌ so today is a FD and this week is a big regroup. Iโ€™m back on soupโ€ฆโ€
    @at Sounds like youโ€™ve been having a fabulous time! I have two Westies here today. You can never have too many!๐Ÿ˜š
    @funshipfreddie I fear my advancement into the 70s has just taken a big stride backwardsโ€ฆ๐Ÿค But I will get there๐Ÿ’ช
    @maui I know how you feel when you want to disengage from the world. Just do it and then you can emerge where you are ready. Your role has changed and to just takes time to adjust. It took me two yearsโ€ฆ Sendingโค๏ธ

Steely Resolve for the new week.

Pocket List
    Merry๐ŸŽ

Day 13 โ€“ South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – FD

@maui – good to hear from you. Sounds like you’re doing everything right?! All you need to do now is add a FD or two & you’ll be there ๐ŸŽฏ

@merryapple – oops? My Sunday was very controlled – for a change. Except for a very tasty beef burrito at dinner time, I don’t think I did too badly. One step back, but two big steps forward today ๐Ÿ’ช

@at – 25,000 steps?! ๐Ÿฅด๏ธ I think I’d need to do the opposite of fasting if I was as active as you!

โ€œThinking too much leads to paralysis by analysis. It’s important to think things through, but many use thinking as a means of avoiding action.โ€
    ~ Robert Herjavek

Pocket List – Day 13 ๐Ÿฅฆ
    @merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie

Day 13 – Ireland – FD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธโœ… ๐ŸŒพ

Due to be a NFD with a work event but the wether has impacted that so no event and that means a FD โœ”๏ธ

Great to hear from you @maui – I am in awe of you and your resilience. One step at a timeโ€ฆ I hope you enjoyed the visit with friends.๐Ÿ’•

Hi @at sounds like super fun times over there! ๐Ÿคฉ I hope the ballet was lovely! โ›น๏ธ

I had a fun weekend .. lots of walks and didnโ€™t eat too badly but felt like Iโ€™d eaten all around me when it came to last evening.. maybe what I ateโ€ฆ must check back and need to start logging correctly again. As you say @merryapple a big regroup and a reset for me this week๐Ÿ‘

Hopping on with you and @funshipfreddie today.

Pocket List โ€“ Day 13 ๐Ÿฅฆ
    @merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @jaifaim

Day 13-No. VA USA-FD

I would like to credit @merryapple with a new abbreviation for the list we have at the beginning of each challenge : BBFW. (“bad, bad food weekend”), because I also had a BBFW. Back we go, help me climb up onto the wagon. November has been a very rocky road!
    Thoughts to you, @maui. @northgeorgia, did you actually get some holiday decorations up? I salute your holiday spirit!

I am joining the pocket list:
    @merryapple
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309

Day 13 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. OK progress is slow, but I’m back on track. Going for a FD500 today. Lunches are part of the programs on Tuesday and Wednesday, but should be relatively light. Then I’ll do another FD on Thursday. @excelsior12309 Yep! I got all my decorations up *whew*

I am joining the pocket list:
    @merryapple
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @northgeorgia

Just combining todayโ€™s pocket list to keep the focus๐Ÿ‘

Pocket List Day 13 ๐Ÿฅฆ

@merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @northgeorgia
    @jaifaim

Day 13, London, UK, FD

Iโ€™ve been MIA for the weekend and late on parade today due to nightmare laptop issues!! It DIED on Saturday morning and I had to attend a remote training course today (& tomorrow) so I spent Saturday & Sunday trying to organize a replacement laptop to be couriered from head office โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ. Shockingly difficult on a weekend!!! It arrived this morning at 7:30am, thankfully fully loaded & ready for Zooming at 8am!!!……………… The stress!!!! Anyway, Day 11 FD was a success, I think I knew I was on that pocket list, maybe ESP or wishful thinking!!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Catching up on posts is making me a little anxious. Truly there shouldnโ€™t be any remorse in enjoying fun times with friends which no doubt includes food & vino!! No guilt in testing or tasting what we cook with love!! No distress for not quite achieving what was planned!! No guilt in being absent, for life taking over and generally finding the clock goes that little bit faster year after year (day after day in my case!)!!! Weโ€™ve all been there, done that!! This 5:2 malarky works and itโ€™s really forgiving; as long as a week off doesnโ€™t turn into a month of EFS days, then youโ€™re good!!! Speaking from experience, the guilt I felt at not staying on plan after maybe a month, led to me throwing in the towel and here I amโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ back three years later, unfortunately, back where I started๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ!! I have to remember to keep some perspective, 1 dodgy week doe NOT a disaster make!!!! The wagon awaits!!!

Pocket List Day 13 ๐Ÿฅฆ

@merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @northgeorgia
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby

โ€œA river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.โ€
    โ€” James N. Watkins

Day 13 – UK – FD800

What horrible weather ๐Ÿ’จ๐ŸŒง๏ธ today with minor flooding on local roads and some trees down……

Had my evening yoga class by candlelight as the electricity was down at my teacher’s studio…..her class plan was adapted to a warming one – it worked as the layers and socks certainly came off…..the irony was that electric lights came back on when we were packing up to go ๐Ÿคฃ

@funshipfreddie – my legs certainly felt all those steps from Saturday!!!
    @jaifaim – Really enjoyed the ballet yesterday afternoon ๐Ÿฉฐ Carlos Acostaโ€™s production for the ROH of Don Quixote was teeming with comedy, wit and an abundance of bravura choreography, it brought the Spanish heat and romance of Cervantes’ classic novel to life.
    Mayara Magri as Kitri and Matthew Ball as Basilio were a great pairing, they were flirty and full of joy, humanising the couple ๐Ÿฉฐ
    @merryapple – loving BBFW. (โ€œbad, bad food weekendโ€) too
    @flourbaby – Yes this 5:2 malarky really works…..jump on that bandwagon with us – there are a few of us holding on tight here

Surprised myself by keeping to my planned FD800….just enjoying a last cup of tea whilst logging on here, then it ‘s a shower before an early bed ๐Ÿ˜ด

Adding myself to the pocket list to ensure that I don’t get tempted, even though we are already at the end of Day 13 here ……

Pocket List Day 13 ๐Ÿฅฆ
    @merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @excelsior12309
    @northgeorgia
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @at

Day 14 FD again 82.7kg NZ

@flourbaby I agree with everything thing you write. For me there is a difference between eating a good quality overly large meal with friends versus sitting pointlessly eating my way through a whole load of delicious biscuits like thereโ€™s no tomorrow. What I can do is regroup and get back on the wagon using FDs as a means to reset. I could keep this to myself or as @jaifaim says, declare it for accountability in our safe space and put it behind me. Now Iโ€™ve declared it and done my weekly weigh in albeit a day late, Iโ€™m feeling much better and have my mojo back๐Ÿ˜ƒ!!

Hereโ€™s to BANNING GUILT!!

Pocket List
    Merry๐ŸŽ

Day 14 โ€“ South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD 70.8 kg

@merryapple – good to hear you’ve got your mojo back! ๐Ÿ’ช Maybe a little guilt isn’t so bad though? Or, maybe guilt isn’t the right word. Remorse? Is that the same thing? Not sure about that. Regret? Whatever it is, maybe we need a little of it to help us get back on the wagon after we’ve strayed. But I agree, looking back & dwelling on it too much is wasted energy & it’s better to focus only on today. B2B FDs ?! Go for it ๐ŸŽฏ

@flourbaby – I love the ‘River’ quote ๐Ÿ˜

Not all UPFs are bad for us; this week anyway..
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12744029/Proof-not-ultraprocessed-foods-bad-Ready-meals-vegan-substitutes-cereals-DONT-cause-cancer-diabetes-huge-study-claims.html

Busy busy…

โ€œTake time to deliberate, but when the time for action comes, stop thinking and go in.โ€ ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Day 14 – Ireland – CD๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธโœ… ๐ŸŒพ

Hi everyone. Less than stellar FD but not too bad.., was going so so well until about 17h30 with just bovril and tea and then needed some food and some crunch so ate some lentil crispsโ€ฆ and then a healthy dinner (pork and turnip) but still managed to stay within about 700 Iโ€™d say..
    Amen to what you say @merryapple! Let there be no guilt and there is probably a good word for when we have a little binge but it is better not to dwellโ€ฆ Iโ€™m not sure which is the best word @funshipfreddie but I wonder is there a positive word for when we veer off course? How about a little swerve?
    We are all doing really well to even be here ๐Ÿคฉ
    @at yoga by candlelight sounds really lovely! So glad you had a lovely time at the ballet. I love Don Quixote – such fun!
    @flourbaby there should be no remorse for time spent with loved ones and particularly now for you, you need to have times when you can just enjoy those people around you and then have a focused day or two later in the week. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•
    I understand the anxiety though and itโ€™s easier said than done to say โ€œdonโ€™t feel itโ€. But it is such a safe supportive place here ๐Ÿ’•

Ok better dashโ€ฆ feeling very tired and my focus is a bit shot today so have to work hard to apply myself.

Day 14 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Yesterday’s FD was aborted and turned into OMAD. I left work a few minutes early not only with a headache but with some nausea. That was highly unusual. With the nausea, I knew I had to terminate the plan. I’m surprised I gained 2 lbs from it all, but maybe the weight will remain stable through Thursday, my next planned FD. I had a lot of decongestion going on early this morning, so I may have still had some lingering symptoms I was unaware of.

Day 14, London, UK, FD

Iโ€™m with you @merryapple in more ways than one, as I too am doing a B2B!!!๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’ช๐ŸฝThis training course Iโ€™m on helps as Iโ€™m too busy revising in my breaks to have anything other than a peppermint tea!

Iโ€™m working hard to rebuild my fasting muscle!!! Trying to keep a grip of the wagon and not feel sorry for myself, let alone deprived! As I said before, sometimes I think I could fast every day, other daysโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ!! So itโ€™s one day at a time for me, and luckily, today is a good day and my fasting mojo is still here!!

My very short break is almost over, soโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ
    Keep the faith & carry on!!!!

No idea who said it, but โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

โ€œAll things are difficult before they are easy.โ€

Pocket List
    @merry๐ŸŽ
    @flourbaby

Day 15 NFD 82.1kg NZ

๐Ÿ˜Happy Daze are here again!
    @funshipfreddie Yes – words like guilt and anxiety can be and are motivating but in big doses can also be overwhelmingโ€ฆ Remorse, regretโ€ฆ rather sad sackyโ€ฆ
    Misstep?? Thereโ€™s an old tv ad here that was really popular of a Hunterway (big barky) farm dog running after and jumping up on the tray (read wagon) of a moving farm truck. He misses and lands spread eagled in a big puddle of mud. The camera zooms in on his head and he says โ€œBugger!โ€. Thatโ€™s my pick – B***er!!
    @northgeorgia Take care and REST UP!
    @flourbaby I often plan jobs on FDs for distraction therapy. I have never eaten so little in my life as I have this last 10 months. I figure when I cross the finish line in 15kg+- time Iโ€™ll be able to stabilise using FDs but I know thatโ€™s not easy eitherโ€ฆ My only consolation is that I would do well in a famineโ€ฆ๐Ÿ™
    @stitchincarol Sending hugs

Carpe Diem!

Day 15 โ€“ South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD

@flourbaby – “All things are difficult before they are easy.โ€ Another good quote, & it was by Thomas Fuller, an 18th century African slave & mathematician, known as the Virginia Calculator. He could mentally calculate, e.g. how many seconds there are in a year & a half?! ๐Ÿคฏ

@merryapple – that’s one clever talking dog! ๐Ÿ˜…

@jaifaim – ‘little swerve’ sounds good for when we veer off course. Or ‘hiccup’? Whatever we call them, may they be few & far between.

Article re the benefits of having an ‘eating window’.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12747009/Eating-9am-7pm-make-happier-hungry-energetic-Experts-hail-health-benefits-fasting-14-hours-day.html

I can’t believe we’re mid-way through November already?!

Happy Hump Day! ๐Ÿซ

Day 15 – Ireland – CD๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธโœ… ๐ŸŒพ

@funshipfreddie as you say.. gosh – half way through this monthโ€ฆ itโ€™s shocking how fast time is going..
    Iโ€™m finding it tough to shift the holiday lbs – very definitely not a case of EOEO but then who am I kidding? It was two months of fun so Iโ€™m going to aim to get back to the top of my maintenance zone in the next month but if not I will be easy on myself and it will be my main project for January 2024. No use of the F word here.
    We are all winners. ๐Ÿคฉ
    @flourbaby Iโ€™m having to work hard here too – I think a lot are in the same boat – poca a poca ๐Ÿ‘
    Today was to be a FD but family dinner tonight at a local Italian who offer GF pasta and Iโ€™m very much looking forward to it. Will aim for a OMAD.
    @merryapple great to see the big smile ๐Ÿ˜€. You are back in the zone!
    @northgeorgia sorry to hear about the headache and nausea – hope it improvedโ€ฆ I felt โ€œoffโ€ yesterday – just not quite right but better today. Hope you do too!
    Hi to everyone else out there ๐Ÿ‘‹

Day 15, London, UK, NFD

Well Iโ€™m back in the office and thereโ€™s a selection of cakes!!!๐Ÿ™„ Someone is a year older and has made it their mission to fatten their colleagues!! I took a slice of millionaireโ€™s shortbread which is in my desk drawer making my teeth itch from a distance!!! I WILL eat it, itโ€™s a NFD after all, but if it derails me or makes tomorrowโ€™s FD a struggle, my lesson will have been learnt the hard way!!!! Iโ€™m aiming to swerve the hiccups without buggering it up!!!๐Ÿ˜

Yesterdayโ€™s training course and newly discovered FD meal (Tuna with cauliflower rice & frozen peas) was easier than expected. @funshipfreddie, your reminder about the satiating effects of protein means my FDs donโ€™t need quite as much willpower โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.. at the moment!๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฝ

If thereโ€™s anyone thinking about resetting for the 2nd half of the monthโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ. Letโ€™s get to it, thereโ€™s no time to waste!!!๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ

@funshipfreddie, I do love a good quoteโ˜บโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

โ€œOur greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.โ€
    โ€” Confucius

Day 15 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Plan to do another FD tomorrow. Today, I have a chamber of commerce lunch. Oh to get into the 210s again…

Day 15-No. VA USA-FD 800

I am being realistic about doing a complete fast day 500. But yesterday I did pretty well and am now 1 # less; however, this pound has been coming and going for quite a while!
    I think since Thanksgiving is coming up next Thursday, it behooves me to control things quite a bit over the next week. I like our traditional foods, but I am not a massive eater; it is just that at my age, every little bit over the needed calories just gloms onto me and won’t let go!!!
    Second half of November, here we come! Hold onto the wagon!

Day 15 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Okay, I’m back. I’ve been struggling to figure out how to explain anything to you all, and it’s too long a story to try to do anything but sum it up.

I’ve not been doing well for any of November–and, really, not for a year. This is my favorite time of year to cook and to eat with abandon because there are so many yummy traditions that I love. And I finally hit rock bottom–well, almost–and just had to chuck it all and give up.

And I did. I ate what I wanted. I had Chili Cheese Fritos with my Turkey on Rye sandwich (it was our church’s turkey supper last Saturday where we serve 600 meals, and I have leftover turkey in the fridge). I even had beer with it, even though it was only lunch. Then I had beer with supper. And made my favorite cake in the world, Fresh Apple Cake, and ate a fifth of it.

You get the idea.

When I hit bottom was when I accepted that eating whatever I wanted was only making my inner two-year-old happy; my body was actually quite miserable with the bloated belly, and my eyes were NOT happy to see the belly I was creating. Nor my puffy face.

The truth is that I love to eat with abandon, but I do not like the results of eating with abandon, and pretending I can eat that way without paying the price was a truth I had to experience again for it to truly sink in.

It didn’t help that I weighed 163.4 yesterday morning. Yup.

I also realized that I’d been using the forum as a crutch: “See, I’ve posted, said what I was going to do, so I’m succeeding at this 5:2 thing!” I’d put my halo on and go about the day feeling noble. And then I’d eat too much, feel guilty, and start the whole thing over the next morning. I knew I had to embrace this for ME and not just go through the motions of posting, pretending it was actually succeeding and meant something.

So I water fasted yesterday, and was astonished that it was just about easy. Wasn’t, but almost was. And this morning, I was down to 158.6–that’s 4.8 lbs down. So a bunch of that weight was just bulk. But, to be down to 158.6? A month ago, that was what I weighed before a WFD, so I clearly have gained.

There’s more to the story, but that’s the basic outline. One thing I discovered with all my thinking is that I used to find joy in anticipating the results of 5:2, but I’ve been focused on the process and not paying any real attention to the results; I’m wondering if that’s a huge part of why I’ve not been succeeding, is because I’ve not had the results tantalizing me.

So, I’ve promised myself to focus more on the joy of the results as well as the joy of the process, because I sure didn’t feel good when I was eating with abandon.

Thanks to those of you who called out to me; it warmed my heart even as I was aching at the frustration of not being 140lbs, LOL!

Oh, and we caught a third mouse, LOL!!!

Second post
    Just checking in ahead of dinner out to keep some little bit of focusโ€ฆ butโ€ฆ I just want to sayโ€ฆ who doesnโ€™t want to eat with abandon and enjoy all the things we love โค๏ธ? Very few people โ€ฆ
    I wonโ€™t list the things I love and miss but maybe itโ€™s no harm to do it from time to time to realise that it has consequences now where it didnโ€™t beforeโ€ฆ
    Iโ€™m in that zone too but our future โ€œusโ€ will thank us for the choices we make today..๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•
    ๐Ÿ’ช

Day 16 FD NZ 82.8kg๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Bug***!! The weekend has caught up with meโ€ฆ But Iโ€™ve done the reset and onward and downward we go again!
    @stitchincarol I feel for you. I only have Mr Mac to cater for now on a daily basis and we all know how delicious dog food is๐Ÿคฃ. My life is a lot quieter now and I havenโ€™t done much entertaining. With your busy professional and social schedule I imagine it is difficult to get into any sort of rhythm. Itโ€™s about uncovering a path that works for you and I can tell you are on that path. Take care ๐Ÿ˜˜
    @jaifaim Softly softly catchy monkey!!
    @excelsior12309 Iโ€™m in your wagon too!
    @flourbaby Thank you Confucius! Thereโ€™s a reason itโ€™s called millionaires shortbread by the Scotsโ€ฆ Enjoy every bite๐Ÿ˜
    @funshipfreddie I hadnโ€™t really thought about an eating window but I do tend to not eat after dinner. It stops reflux!

Take heart everyone!

Pocket List
    Merry๐ŸŽ

Day 16 โ€“ South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – FD

Good fun at the line-dancing yesterday; I’m finally getting there! ๐Ÿ•บSome of the steps that baffled me a few months ago – I’m now thinking – why did I ever struggle with that?! Just in time, cos apparently we’re putting on a little show for some of the frail-care residents next month ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

@stitchincarol – you’re back! Great to hear from you. And to shift almost 5 lb overnight?! Still 5 & a half weeks til Christmas; you’re not that far from your goal. When you see what some people are up against, needing to lose maybe 40, 50 or more lbs. Struggling to just get dressed everyday, getting out of breath just walking to the car. I inadvertently get a wake-up call every time I go to a mall here. I see plenty of people who’ve decided they like eating with abandon. And it’s clear they do, every day, at every meal. At some stage they’ve given up. I feel bad for them. I try not to stare. But it horrifies me. And then I think, ‘an extra FD this week wouldn’t kill me…?’.

@merryapple – I had to Google that ‘softly, softly…’ I’m sure I’ve heard it before, but I couldn’t remember what it meant ๐Ÿ˜…

Let’s get this done, Thursday fasters. It’s just food, right? ๐Ÿคช

Pocket List – Day 16 ๐Ÿฅ—
    @merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie

“Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice”. ~ Wayne Dyer

Day 17 – Ireland – FD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธโœ… ๐ŸŒพ

Lovely dinner, lovely chats and not a late night which is great as I was up very early.
    @stitchincarol It was great to come on and see your post last night describing the struggles we all have – you are never alone.
    Incredible to think a WFD can shift so much weight.. bravo to you!!! Iโ€™m not good at them and certainly when I did do one once only I think there was no dramatic drop but am inspired to try again soon. Just to sort of cleanse my system too – would be good.
    A lot of chat over dinner about health, food etc but funny how many people just donโ€™t see the benefits of this WOL even if itโ€™s sporadic for some of us.
    Yes @merryapple softly we goโ€ฆ. downward for the rest of this month ๐Ÿ‘‹
    @funshipfreddie great to hear youโ€™re becoming a dancer! My friend has actually just taken up line dancing here in a little town the country and is loving it ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป

Pocket List โ€“ Day 16 ๐Ÿฅ—
    @merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @jaifaim

Day 16, London, UK, FD
    I was exhausted last night (millionaires 5000calories shortbread???…..๐Ÿ˜‹) and my FD planning went out the window๐Ÿ˜’, Iโ€™m trying to get to OMAD in general, but on a FD, for some reason I think I need some small snack/meal at 2 or 3pm. Usually just some cucumber & baby plum tomatoes with some form of protein โ€“ a babybel, ยฝ tin of tuna or as today, a slice of crustless quiche. There was a smidgen of panic before I remembered the quiche, so I just grabbed it and a handful of tomatoes and a bit of of cucumber. Iโ€™ve soup for dinner, but I really need to plan the night before to avoid succumbing to that afternoon wave of hunger and devouring the ever present biscuits in the office kitchen!!๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

@stitchincarol, Iโ€™m glad youโ€™ve rejoined the fold!! I can only speak for myself, but Iโ€™m here BECAUSE I love to eat with abandon๐Ÿ˜‹!! For a few months before I abandoned this group a few years ago, I was posting, enjoying catching up on updates from around the globe, fasting?………….. Not exactly!!! Sometimes we self sabotage & throw ourselves off the wagon, but the most important thing is to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get back on, if itโ€™s left you in the dirt it may take a little time to catch up to it but you will!!! The lightbulb went on when you wrote about what was your key to success โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€œI used to find joy in anticipating the results of 5:2โ€. This completely resonates with me!!! I have to get back to this too!! If I stick with this (properly) until the end of November, I WILL see results, these results WILL bring me joy, as will anticipating future results!!! Iโ€™m with you, so Iโ€™ll be focussing on the joy of results too!!๐Ÿฅฐ

@funshipfreddie, I see some very very young people who obviously need some help controlling their eating and I hate to think of their future. As someone once said, weโ€™re sleepwalking into obesity!!! Good luck with your show (the elderly can be brutal critics!!!)๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ, I bet you wish you were part of the entertainment on board those cruise ships!!!

My quote of the day (despite the author!) is apt for a few of us here โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..
    “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher

@merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby

Day 16 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Heaviest Thursday weigh-in in two years…yuck. I had a lot of interruptions this month, and will continue to have them, but I’m staying the course. Today will be a FD500. @stitchincarol Our epiphany is coming at a horrible time of the year, but I think even through the feast days, we can do this. I really don’t know how we can turn down the chocolates and other comforts at this time of year, or even regulate them to a very small treat once a week. But there has to be a way to get out of this swamp. I think I need to start again with eating satisfying home-cooked meals with no space for sugar and processed junk. I did notice this year that when I had a home-cooked meal prepared by myself or family members at home, I tended to eat less or nothing at all for lunch since I had something to look forward to. Then I would have my fill at supper time, and didn’t want to keep snacking on after the meal — and I lost weight on 5:2. But the more nasty stuff I would eat on NFDs, I’d just get hungry again and the more I’d lose control and snack and eat more nasty stuff; I think that’s how the weight has climbed. I don’t know if it is as simple as that, but I’m thinking it’s what’s happening in my case.

If I’m going to have a big meal to look forward to in the evening, I can skip lunch and be ok, and vice versa. Time for me to get back to that….

@merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @northgeorgia

Day 16 wfd

I’m here, I’m fine, I just slept way late after being awake for several hours, so must fly. Talk later!

2nd Post – Day 16

@merry๐ŸŽ
    @funshipfreddie
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol – WFD

Day 16 – 2nd post

Take me off the pocket list. Surprise Thanksgiving feast with the students at work….

Day 17 NFD NZ 81.8kg

Crazy how your body sorts itself out with a little help from you… All will be OK if you do the right thing and have faith and trust after falling off the wagon into the big mud puddle.

@northgeorgia, @stitchincarol, @flourbaby, @at, @jaifaim, @excelsior12309, @funshipfreddie, me myself and I and anyone else – it might not be easy but itโ€™s doable step-by-step and day-by-day. Keep the faith and keep going.

We need to make sure weโ€™re supplying our bodies with good quality food in the right proportion. Eating too much good food does no harm but eating too much bad (read industrialised) food has no benefit. Enjoy the FDs, commit to that window of eating and everything will fall into place over time as we all know. To my fellow fasters, be happy and proud of all our achievements thus far๐Ÿ˜˜ As @jaifaim always signs off, We rise by lifting others. In other words weโ€™re in it together and like Mr Nike says, Just Do It!

KIA KAHA (Stay Strong) everyone ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿป

Day 17 โ€“ South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD 71.0

Successful FD, followed by a good 8 hour snooze. but the wiggle room is eluding me. I just need to be a bit stricter on NFDs.

@northgeorgia – even I know Thanksgiving is NEXT week! Surprise indeed ๐Ÿคฃ

@flourbaby – ‘sleepwalking into obesity’ – an interesting phrase. Like people don’t really know what they’re doing. Everyone’s wearing a blindfold whilst they’re shovelling down Big Macs & then suddenly they can’t squeeze into those size xxx jeans anymore ๐Ÿค”

Maybe we all need to read this, especially at this time of year… ๐Ÿคฎ
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12758319/can-stomach-explode-eating-gastrointestinal-perforation.html

Anyway, I’ve got a couple of hours of Spanish listening to do before I head off to ‘Indulge’ for my lunch date

Happy Fri-yay y’all! ๐Ÿน

Day 17 – Ireland – CD๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธโœ… ๐ŸŒพ

Hi everyone!
    Iโ€™m relieved to see the same number above as this day last week โญ๏ธ as I had three fun nights and have been feeling really puffy this week so while Iโ€™m aiming to get back to my maintenance range I know Iโ€™m trying to do the right things โ€ฆ have the fun nights and then apply myself.. thatโ€™s all we can do and we need fun times too otherwise whatโ€™s the point.
    As we sayโ€ฆ at least we know what to do, we try to do that most of the time and we will get there.
    Itโ€™s quiet here nowโ€ฆ I know for me that impending celebratory times like holidays, Christmas and Thanksgiving for the US ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ gang can bring their own stresses/challenges and can be an emotional and pressured time so I hope everyone is okโ€ฆ
    ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

Day 17 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 227 lbs. What a wreck. But I have to remember that between the COVID pause, the unexpected events this week, and Thanksgiving coming up ( @funshipfreddie Yeah, but this was the last day of classes before the break and with 50 international students looking to you as the leader with all the spread they brought in, they expect you to try and like everything. November has been a “eat because it’s socially mandated” month — gak!), I haven’t fasted but once in the past two weeks. Just ridiculously chaotic. I’m also getting hooked on sugar again, so I need to wean myself away (and how to do that during the holiday period?). I’m getting dangerously close to the 230s, so I definitely need to get going.

Day 17 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s WF went fine, and I’m down another pound+ to 157.4. That makes me very sad (that I’m DOWN to 157.4), but it’s certainly far lovelier than those several days when I was above 160! This has been a busy week, mostly because we’re hosting a missionary and her mom on Saturday night, so the basement bedroom and the ground floor guest bedroom both need tidying, cleaning, and freshly washed sheets put on the bed–the PATH to the basement bedroom was also a disaster and still has an hour of clutter I’m wanting to tidy. The problem is this house has too little storage and nearly none where you can just have a clutter and it’s normal, like a basement: our basement is all finished. I never can figure out if I struggle so because the house has too little storage or because I have too much stuff. ๐Ÿ˜ Today will be filled with a long to-do list, tomorrow is an all-day meeting, Sunday is church and brunch with our guests, and then we’re off to Omaha for a performance of Handel’s Messiah, a tradition I almost never miss. I’ve sung those choruses and several of the solos, and accompanied all of it on the piano many years, so I can sing every last one, although I do try to keep silent as I’m mouthing the words, LOL!

But, wouldn’t you think that, with a schedule like that, I’d have a built-in certainty of controlled eating? Nah, because each day has a social meal included, and several have two. So, it’ll be up to my will- and won’t-power, because I will NOT go back down to the dark abyss I was in last week. I may weigh more than I want, but my stomach is empty and that feels glorious, so I’m celebrating the small steps.

And, by the way, while I was in that dark abyss, I deeply appreciated your ongoing comments, @funshipfreddie, @merryapple, and @jaifaim. They didn’t pull me out of that dark hole, but they sure made me feel loved, and that’s no small thing when a path is looking so horribly bleak.

@flourbaby You’ve had an equally challenging path the last couple of weeks, haven’t you? I’m so glad your mojo still is present and strong!

@northgeorgia I imagine the unspoken truth you’ve been struggling with is that this is the first Thanksgiving/Christmas after losing your dad. It must be tempting to abandon all semblance of control as your nurse your grief. We’re here to cheer you on as you work to find a path of control in the middle of all the abundance you’ll be encountering. It would make your dad proud to see how you are persevering!

Okay, my focus has abandoned me and is thinking about that long list I need to accomplish, so I’ll give up responding to each of you.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 17, London, UK, NFD

Late on parade again!!! I get bogged down with nonsense (the work I get paid to do๐Ÿคฃ) and forget to post!!

Anyway, yesterday’s FD was ok, not the stellar efforts of Monday or Tuesday, but I’m banking it as a ‘mediocre spare FD’, catchy right?

‘Tis the season for treats & comfort and all that makes us happy, unfortunately we need to reprogram our mindset to understand those treats are NOT treats, they really DON’T offer comfort and as for making us happy, I for one feel pretty cr*p after I’ve indulged in something that appeared to give me comfort & joy at the time I shovelled it down!!! Moderation is not in my vocabulary, so I HAVE to go for abstinence. I had an issue with nicotine which is very similar to my issue with carbs, addiction is addiction and no amount of self control or moderation is going to help, for me there are the carbs which send me spiralling down into greater & greater quantities – they cannot exist for me whilst I’m on this journey; and there are others (the ones I’m not in love with๐Ÿ˜) which I can have, enjoy, then reluctantly put them away until another NFD. None of this is easy, but I’m re-learning to look forward to the hunger of a FD, to that empty feeling, to swerving the biscuit & sweetie aisle in the supermarket with righteous indignation and most of all to fitting into the 100’s of pounds worth of new clothes I bought when I was 50lbs lighter๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ……………. Now that’s incentive enough!!!!

Keep the faith folks, that pizza, biscuit, sweet treat (poison) will be there when you get to your goal!!!! …………….. but you might not want it then!!! Now there’s something to look forward to!!!

โ€œThe ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.โ€
    โ€” Martin Luther King, Jr.

second post

@flourbaby I was taking a break when your post popped up, and all I can say is, “Amen, sister!” I read your words three times, working at internalizing them. Hunger IS a lovely thing, isn’t it? Lucky us!

Third post

@funshipfreddie Is that an okay use of “lucky”?? I’m undecided…

Day 18 NFD NZ

I have the same dilemma @stitchincarol – a 106 year old house with no storage with stuff everywhere. I have two friends from my California days coming to visit on Sunday and am about to embark on a big tidy up… plus cooking!
    I have two sorts of stuff that Iโ€™m trying to rationalise – passive collections of display items (ceramics, glass, art, historic and family items etc) then thereโ€™s all my art gear and textiles (sewing, spinning – 5 spinning wheels, wool fleeces etc). And the garden shed and the garage. Not to mention DHโ€™s room. Whew!! At least I have sorted through my kitchen!! I have started on my clothes because some are too loose so Iโ€™ll donate them. I never want to be that size again!
    @flourbaby I have the same amount as you to lose to get to my goal of under 70kg. If I want to get to my mid BMI range I need to add another 5kg to the total… Iโ€™ve done the first 10kgs and am just on to the secondโ€ฆ We can do this!! I have too many pairs of Churchโ€™s shoes – at least I can wear them no matter what my weight is๐Ÿคฃ
    @funshipfreddie What a topicโ€ฆ exploding stomachs!
    I imagine youโ€™ll be quite a smooth line dancer now youโ€™ve sorted your feet out! Do you have a cowboy ๐Ÿค  yet? I do! And a black satin shirt with turquoise tassels and grey boots. It was the 1980sโ€ฆ
    @jaifaim Yup! Whatโ€™s the point of being gorgeous and no fun in our lives!

Cheers everyone!

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply.