🍁 November 2023 Challenge 🍁

This topic contains 224 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  AT 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 225 total)

• Day 4 Minnesota (USA) 17 hour FD

Yesterday was my first day back in the swing of thing and I finished well. 1180 Calories of my 1200 calorie plan and all within my fasting window of 17 hours. Feeling comfortable, satisfied, and successful. I’m ready for another successful day. After reading more of the groups posts I realize that my way of fasting doesn’t follow the 5:2 model. I should have read more before jumping in. I was just so excited to find an active online group. I don’t plan to do 5:2 but rather am doing a 17 hour fasting window everyday with an eating window between noon until 7:00 p.m. As a former grazer, consistently fasting for 17 hours each day actually feels like fasting and it does retrain my brain to be comfortable without grazing. In a short amount of time I will change to an 18 and 19 hour fasting window because my appetite will naturally bend that way. And this way of eating was successful for me in the past. So is it ok if I still hang out with all of you? It’s interesting reading what you all do, but only fasting 2 days a week doesn’t interest me. I’m glad it works for you, but not what I’m really interested in doing.

@funshipfreddie I’ll keep my posts shorter from now on.
    @northgeorgia My parents didn’t have pets so I don’t know how the ultrasonic machines effect the house pets.
    @jaifaim thanks for the welcome. You have a lovely day too.
    @merryapple Who is Mr. Mack? A cat I presume. Ouch to the sore back. Get feeling better.

3rd Post – Day 4

@snowflower – no?! Don’t shorten your posts on my account; I was just teasing. You & @stitchincarol will both be record-holders for the longest posts. I’ll no doubt win for the shortest on most days.
    I hope you stick with us. Call it what you will – IF/TRE/5:2 – it’s all fasting. It’s a big step just to find what works for you, and it sounds like you’ve found it.
    It was me who was asking about the mouse machine. I think I just mentioned @northgeorgia in my post.
    Mr Mack is @merryapple‘s dog.

Day 4 – USA/GA – Paused

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. Lost a couple of pounds — it’s weird how sickness ups your metabolism. Anyway, I have COVID for the third time since the pandemic. I’m vaccinated, so hopefully it’ll be like a cold and be out of here soon.

I think my name is getting attached to other people’s stories LOL! Some of the mentions of my name aren’t making sense 🙂 Or maybe I’m just feverish haha

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday went well food-wise. My lunch was about 300 calories, and supper was homemade coleslaw, steamed red potatoes with (too much) butter and garlic, sous vide pork loin chop (seared before serving), with Marsala mushroom sauce, two glasses of red wine, and one dark chocolate cookie. I bought those for DH because I really don’t like dark chocolate, so my sugar-craving was strong enough to eat one, but my disinterest in dark chocolate was strong enough not to eat a second. 😂 So how many calories is that? A menu like that is exactly why I don’t always know what my calorie consumption is, because it would take so much time to figure out what the total calories were. A fairly safe yardstick is that I’m only up 4ounces this morning, so that would indicate I didn’t eat unreasonably.

Today will be leftovers for lunch, and supper will be cube steak, baked butternut squash (undoubtedly with too much butter) and brussels sprouts. I’ll allow myself the single glass of leftover wine, but no beer, only water or milk.

Sunday, we’ll have scrambled eggs and cantaloupe for brunch, and then a Mexican feast for supper; not a bit of it will be authentic, so calling it TexMex is much closer to the truth, but we’ll enjoy it, and the calories will be higher than a weight loss journey calls for, so that will motivate me to limit what I eat today.

And yup, @at, I’m a confirmed member of the ZBC, and have been since I was 17. The only time I consistently ate breakfast was when I was pregnant, in case all the hype about breakfast being so IMPORTANT was true. I wouldn’t do it again, for the record. Those people who say it’s so important are those people for whom it’s miserable not to have breakfast, and that’s fine, but I’m miserable if I DO have breakfast.

Okay, sorry, off my soapbox.

@jaifaim I’m glad we watched Who is Erin Carter, but was sad we never learned her real name! 🤣😂 The ending was also just a bit unexpected…are they setting us up for another season? (I’m guarding what I say for those who haven’t seen it yet but plan to.)

@snowflower We live in a small village about 30 miles west of Omaha, and I quilt (wall hangings, table runners, and bed quilts, but not much for a long while) and knit (for well over 50 years, although not much for decades, but now like a crazy woman). My degree is Bachelor of Sacred Music with Organ as my Principal Instrument (which explains my passion for being a church organist and choir director) and I have a dozen piano students: enough to have a lovely variety of personalities and skills, but not so many I get sick to death of the process. And do not even THINK that your choices of when/how/what you eat make you somehow not a bona fide or welcome member of this group; as I said yesterday, YOU DO YOU. ❤️👍🏻

@merryapple Isn’t it sad that we shrink? I was short enough before, that the shrinkage makes reaching things even harder. Oh well, eh?

@funshipfreddie I had to WATCH every second of Las Villamizar since I was reading the CC and understood only one word in twenty. But my knitting would occasionally require me to actually look at it, and during those times of looking away from the TV, I’d often feel as if I knew what had been said. I didn’t, but I FELT as if I did. I wonder if the “learning by hearing” that you talked about was starting to happen, and I should watch more Spanish-language series/movies? That would be lovely to learn a language so easily, LOL!

@at I was dumbfounded that you’d gotten clear up to 150, although was very careful not to communicate that…and how can a person go from 125 to 150 and still have their pants be only “too tight”????? So thanks for clarifying that, LOL, and I’m so glad you only have roughly ten pounds to lose!

@jaifaim You have more self-control than I to eat breakfast occasionally! One of the reasons I’m ZBC is that, if I eat breakfast, then I eat a larger lunch and an even larger supper; by skipping breakfast, I eat a reasonable number of calories at my two meals, and–usually–nibble less.

@northgeorgia Oh, BUMMER. My just-finished experience with Covid was nothing more than a cold (although my headache on Monday was pretty wicked, so that was probably more Covid than cold), and I hope your experience is no worse than what I felt!

On the ongoing saga of the mice in our house…the ultrasonic things did not arrive yesterday because…I didn’t actually order them, LOL! DH and I were so frustrated to realize that, but I had ordered such a variety of things (knitting needles, wifi booster, etc.) that I didn’t realize it wasn’t included. So they’re ordered now, and we’ll pick them up at a locker tomorrow, and so glad to do so since I still hear plenty of scurrying despite the two we’ve caught so far.

Okay, I’ve things to do and you all have better things to do than read my long epistles, so I’m quitting. Have a grand one, everyone!

Oh, and just a reminder, @merryapple spells it Mr. Mac, no k at the end. Sorry, the editor in me couldn’t resist mentioning it. 😂😂😂

Day 4, London, UK, FD

A weekend FD for me and at this late hour, I’m glad to say it’s going well!. I hope that isn’t the kiss of death!!! High protein tuna and cauliflower rice with a few veggies is on the menu for dinner in 4 minutes exactly!!! Countdown !!!

@snowflower, It sounds like you were doing 5:2 at TOPS, 1200 cals for most of the time with 1 or 2 900cal days!! That 5-600cal attributed to 5:2 is quite arbitrary, having said that, it’s what I need to do to be successful. This forum is all about fasting, some do FD800’s, some do 5:2, some do WFDs, we’re all in the same (overladen) boat, so we each need to do what works as long as we stay supportive & accountable. Looking forward to getting to know you more!🤗🤗

@at, confirmed member of the ZBC here, breakfast is just an appetite opener for me, and nobody wants THAT!!!😝

Looking forward to tomorrows epic PFDS!!!! ……………… It’s been a while!!!

Second post Day 4 Minnesota (USA) 17 hour fasting, 7 hour eating window

Thanks for keeping me in the group. I was a little worried, but you have all made me feel welcome. Whew….I needed those confirmations. I’m on track for the day and feeling good. Actually, I somewhat missed the discipline of skipping breakfast. When I go a few days without it my body snaps right back into place and says ‘see, you didn’t need those calories after all’ and that is the truth. Breakfast in the morning is just extra calories and an emotional soother for me on most days. I’m rarely actually hungry, more thirsty than hungry. I’m a good water drinker. I don’t do caffeine. Caffeine isn’t kind to me. I do enjoy a protein shake or two a day though and lots of water.

@funshipfreddie Thanks for clarifying. I thought I had really screwed up with all my words. Yep, I’m a bit wordy, to a fault probably. Thanks for understanding and when you tease me in the future, I’ll tease you right back. 🙂

@northgeorgia Ohhh, that nasty Covid is going around. Dang! Get feeling better. And it is probably me that is getting you attached to other people’s stories. I’m still figuring out how you all communicate in this chat. And I’m a little bit techy challenged too, if you couldn’t already figure that out.

@stitchincarol I was in Omaha about 40 years ago for my cousin’s wedding. They moved to Missouri so I’ve never been back. All I remember was there was a huge cattle lot/plant somewhere in the city. It’s probably not there anymore. I actually played piano for my cousin’s wedding, but can’t remember what church that was. Probably something Baptist. Long time ago.

@flourbaby Thanks for being so sweet and welcoming. Yes, what I did at TOPS seemed like tighter fasting on the days that I did the 900ish calorie days. I was always so hungry on those days but I muscled through them and stayed on track to lose weight. I’ll be doing the same this time around.

Well, back to my day. I attended a Zoom meeting this morning. Now I’m doing some housework and then going to go pick up sticks in our little wooded area of our property. It’s a nice day here in Southeastern Minnesota, sunny and somewhat warm at 49 degrees -no wind makes it pleasant. I broke down and put the flannel sheets on the bed yesterday because our night temps are down in the 20’s so old man winter is on his way in the north country of the United States. Have a good rest of your day.

Day 5 NFD Auckland NZ 92kg

Morning all!
    92 even! It’s the slightly boring vegetable soup, sourdough with fish on the side menu!
    @jaifaim Yes stretching exs would be good. At the moment I’m sore first thing until my muscles/ligaments warm up. I did a bit of gardening y’day afternoon because bending over uses the opposing muscles.
    We now have a MMP (mixed member proportional) government with 122 seats. We get two votes – one for an electoral candidate and one for a party. The right are in with a mix of 3 parties National 38%, Act 9%, NZ First 6%. The left is made up Labour 27%, Greens 12% and Te Pāti Māori 3%. This could be a quiz question at the local pub!!!
    @funshipfreddie For some reason I thought you were an AI construct🤣🤣🤣Must have been all those fun facts… Thanks for the Spanish info. I’ll have to dig my old study books out!
    @flourbaby “Overladen boat”!! Luckily not a sinking ship!!
    @northgeorgia Sorry to hear you have covid again… If your temperature goes up 1 degree your metabolism goes up 50%. Take care and rest up.
    @stitchincarol You have a very enjoyable sounding menu upcoming. Remember your available tools – small plate, no seconds and “eat like a Parisian”. I think though it sounds like you like to eat more than Parisians!!
    @snowflower It’s all about doing what works for you. We take pleasure and inspiration from everyone’s success and try to encourage those who are struggling. And I love the chit chat on the side! Mr Mac is Macintosh Apple, my 15 3/4yr old (115 in human yrs) West Highland White Terrier. His father was Grand Champion Whitebriar Junk Yard Dog and his formal name was Whitebriar Junk Mail had he gone on to have puppies.

Have a great weekend!

Day 4 – USA/TN

Down to 143.2……inching my way down! @merryapple, I empathize with you…I was 5’5 and am now 5’3.

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@flourbaby – well done for doing a Saturday FD! I hope you’re basking in PFDS today 🎯

@merryapple – an AI construct?! No, I really am human! 🤣

@stitchincarol – the learning-by-listening (comprehensible input) really works. But the listening (or reading) you do needs to be at least 70% comprehensible. At least, according to Pablo on the Dreaming Spanish website. And we’re talking about literally 100’s of hours, so it’s not exactly a picnic. Their videos are divided into Super-beginner/Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced. You can find many of them on YouTube, but if you subscribe to the site, there are 1000’s of videos on there, with various teachers (guides) talking about every subject under the sun. You even start to notice the different accents & dialects after a while, because they’re from all over Latin-America & Mexico as well as Spain. There’s an interesting ‘road-map’ that tells you what you need to do & where you’ll be once you’ve watched/listened to x amount of hours.
    https://dreaming-spanish-emails.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Language_Learning_Roadmap_by_Dreaming_Spanish.pdf

@snowflower – 49 degrees is ‘somewhat warm’?! That’s about 9 degrees Celsius – I’d die 🥶️

@northgeorgia – oh no, not you too?! I guess you won’t be on the Sunday list then. Get well soon!

Happy S🌞nday y’all!

Pocket List – Day 5 🥚
    @funshipfreddie

Day 5 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Hello I hope everyone is having a good weekend… @merryapple awwww Whitebriar Junk Mail indeed! 🐶 What an interesting name! But I like Macintosh Apple better and must remember it’s Mac not Mack. Thanks @stitchincarol 👍
    @snowflower long or short posts – anything goes… we are happy to read whatever you post… we are all very different and sometimes I’m chatty, sometimes not.. it depends on the day, the hour and what’s going on in my life 😀 There are also people who will not be posting daily and will dip in from time to time… you’ll see.
    Well done to the Saturday fasters 👏👏 and good luck to Sunday gang… probably just @funshipfreddie 💪 poor @northgeorgia.. another one caught with Covid 🥲
    Hi @metatauta! I must see is there anyway to ward against height loss… 🤔 a stretching rack maybe 😂

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 5 – USA/GA – Paused

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. No change from yesterday, despite all the meals. It’s almost comical if it weren’t for the sniffles, achy ribs, and congestion 🙂 Just trying to stay hydrated and giving my immune system the nutrition it needs.

Day 6 FD and weekly tracker 82.2kg NZ

@jaifaim The everyday name for Wh Junk Mail was Spam. Now there’s a word that we don’t hear now!
    I’d like to be on the rack right now! Feeling v stiff this morning.
    Go you @metatauta!! I looked up my new height on the BMI calculator. To be mid range I need to be 65kg – 5kg less than I was aiming for but all will be revealed in the future!! I see there is a geriatric BMI calculator. Geriatric is defined as 65+. SERIOUSLY????
    @at I watched the movie about Beatrix Potter in the weekend which was partly filmed in your lovely Lake District. My great grandmother holidayed there during the same period. I have photographs of her wearing Edwardian clothing like Miss Potter – a big hat with a flat wide brim topped with fabric flowers, a white high collared shirt with leg of mutton sleeves and flouncy chest and a wide belt over a long shapely skirt and leather ankle boots.
    Is any one else joining me on a FD?

Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 6 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

A quiet weekend had… a little too much sugar though and I have to watch that as I’m dropping that ball a little… also I need to get back to daily walks. Holidays mess up routine. There is no doubt about that.

Joining you today @merryapple

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day 6 🍏 🍎
    @merry 🍎
    @jaifaim

Day 6 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Basking in Monday morning PFDS! 💪

I was just thinking it’s very quiet on the forum for Monday morning, but I’ve just realised the clocks have gone back in the UK, & we’re now two hours ahead.

@merryapple – shrinking, on top of everything else getting older throws at us; so unfair?! It happens to men too apparently, but it’s not as pronounced. Stronger bones, or something like that. ‘Geriatric’ – such an ugly word 😟 I’m sure someone will be joining you on the list. Have an easy FD! 🎯

It’s a lovely sunny spring day here, so I’m off to make the most of it. And to have a well-deserved brunch

Have a good week everyone 🌤

Day 6, London, UK, NFD

Well yes, I was basking in epic PFDS yesterday 🏆, although the day 5 NFD went slightly off track, I think the success of the Day 4 FD (497cals!) led to a bit of complacency, I might have to review how often I weigh myself and keep the smugness in check!!🤭
    I’m enjoying being back in the fasting groove and it’s great to finally recognise/remember what hunger feels like and to look forward to it!!!

@merryapple, I would love to eat like a Parisian, I’ve already embraced full fat, eating for pleasure and I’m working towards choosing a meal over a snack, but I don’t think my boss would be pleased if I have a leisurely lunch where I sip, taste, savour & chat like they do ………………. With a glass of vin rouge!!

Feel better @northgeorgia, I hope it’s no worse than a bad cold🤞🏽🤞🏽this Covid thing is here to stay isn’t it?!

@funshipfreddie🤣🤣 …………………” That’s about 9 degrees Celsius – I’d die 🥶️” ……………. No wonder you left the UK!!!

@jaifaim, sugar pushed me off track on Sunday, and as you know, once you start …………

Back to the grindstone & daydreaming about a leisurely lunch at a Parisian café!!!

I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday!!!

Day 6-No. VA USA-FD

It will be a fast day today, and I still have plenty of vegetable soup ready to go for lunch and dinner.
    Regarding the use of “geriatric” for BMI, in obstetrics, when I was a med. student, they used to refer to first time mothers who were 35 or older as “elderly primigravidas.” Very flattering image….Nowadays, I don’t know if you could get away with such a term.

Day 6 – UK – FD
    Day 5 – NFD

Apologies for my absence yesterday – but I did manage to have a quick read of the posts

Saturday’s yoga workshop was just wonderfully restorative and just what I needed – walk and catch up with a few friends yesterday

After the indulgences of the weekend I’m ready to start the new week with a good FD so will be on that pocket list for inspiration.

Great to hear that the ZBC stalwarts are still there @funshipfreddie @stitchincarol @flourbaby

@snowflower – write short or long posts as you wish…….great to read whatever you want to share with the group and if it helps keep you on track you go for it 🤗
    @northgeorgia – not COVID again!! hopefully you don’t feel too poorly with it
    @merryapple – The outfit your great grandmother was wearing sounds fantastic – great that the photos have survived and as you can see you are not alone on today’s FD
    @funshipfreddie – after a glorious day yesterday – normal service has resumed here with a drizzly and overcast one 🤣

Yoga class this evening should keep me on track with my FD

The plan is for a late lunch today and then continue fasting until tomorrow evening as I’m driving to Leeds tomorrow morning to see “The Calendar Girls – the Musical” 🎶🎶 at the Grand Theatre with a group of friends – Indian meal before and staying overnight before heading back home on Wednesday which I’m hoping will be another FD 🤞

Pocket List – Day 6 🍏 🍎
    @merry 🍎
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309
    @at

Day 6 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

I weigh the same as I did last Monday morning, which I actually see as a victory since I didn’t do a WF last week–did I fast at all? don’t remember, but I was sick, if you remember–and since we had a big family dinner last night, and my weight makes it clear I didn’t eat like a glutton, LOL. Today it’s leftovers, and we have a day planned of raking leaves (we have many, many bags’ worth already fallen, and many, many more bags’ worth yet to fall), so that bodes well for keeping me busy, out of the kitchen, and burning extra calories.

@funshipfreddie Thanks for the info on Dreaming Spanish; I listened to 5 minutes of a beginner video of a blindfolded gal tasting various drinks and was very entertained by her lovely smile and huge humor–and suddenly realized that tonic water is agua tonica! That was a fun moment. And you find 49 degrees miserably cold? Huh. You must live in South Africa!!! 😂😂😂😂😂 It wasn’t over 49 degrees all last week, and one day it didn’t even get UP to freezing, LOL!

@jaifaim Ooooh, a stretching rack? Yes, that might do the trick to keep us from shrinking! 😂😉

@northgeorgia You poor thing; you clearly are much sicker than I was.

@merryapple Interesting that there’s a geriatric BMI calculator; they actually give me the same number, it’s just their interpretation of the numbers that change:
    BMI Weight status
    <23 Underweight
    23-29.9 Normal
    >=30 Overweight/obese
    And at this weight and height I’m 28, which they consider normal. That feels good. But, like you, I’m objecting to the term “geriatric” for 65, and “elderly” also being thrown around, LOL!

@excelsior12309 First time moms over 35 were “elderly”????? That defies hearing without roaring with laughter!

Lots to do today, so I should get at it. The ugliest chore is to wash up the dishes we all ignored in favor of a few more hands of pinochle. Life is good when you play pinochle with your spouse and sons and spend as much time laughing as playing.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 6 – USA/GA – Paused

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. Not having as many fever episodes as yesterday. Ribs still achy, but congestion progressing along — less nasal and now, yuck..into lungs…

Anyway, I’m thinking another day, then try to get back into the swing of things on Wednesday. We’ll see… not feeling so terrible today.

Day 7 NFD NZ

I can feel Xmas heading our way. Everything speeds up in November in order to get things done because Christmas joins with the summer hols and the whole country goes to the beach for 6 weeks…
    @stitchincarol I turn all the fallen leaves etc I collect up in Fall into beautiful compost.
    @flourbaby That’s the description of a perfect lunch!!!
    @funshipfreddie Maybe senile is a better word to use instead of geriatric🤣 Senile BMI??! I tell people that Mr Mac is a little senile but he doesn’t have dementia. He is 115 years old after all!
    @excelsior12309 Senile Primigravidas???!!!!🤣

Relaxed Resolve to everyone on this first week of November.

Day 7 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾
    Hello all, glad to report a good first FD of the week under my belt. Not too difficult but a milky coffee was calling out to me from first thing but I fought off the craving and didn’t have one all day… the sugar in the milk would have opened the floodgates to lots more food. @flourbaby it really is the demon 😂 and I try to remind myself that for me sugar is like rust on my joints… a kinesiologist I saw years ago when I was getting my head around one of my auto-immune conditions once said that to me.. ✅

And I moved a little – short walk to start back to the habit á la Atomic Habits…

Enjoy the show and night away @at! It sounds like a lovely plan.
    @funshipfreddie do your clocks change at all? It is this it for the winter then you will be two ahead of us?

Power to the fasters today. 💪

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 7 – UK – NFD

A quick check in as I get ready to head out – one of the group has offered to drive 5 of us – luckily she has a big car so we should have a comfortable drive – will probably stop half way for a coffee/snack then some shopping (window shopping only in my case 🤣) and an early supper as the play starts at 7.30

Sun is out here so a definite improvement on yesterday’s drizzly day

Good luck to today’s fasters

Day 7, London, UK, NFD,

I had planned a FD today and it could still happen, but the will is lacking this morning & as I had a dicky tummy last night, I’m feeling a bit fragile. Hopefully I can make good choices, my 1st coffee of the day is helping………………. it should; it contains 3 espresso shots after all!!!!🤣🤣🤣

@at, Girls Trip!!!!🥳🥳 That car is going to be THE place to be!!!! Enjoy the show!

So, we’re a week in and my November resolutions are going well although I haven’t reaquanted myself with Leslie’s Walk, Walk, Walk yet, oops! Yoga tomorrow night though, so …………….. baby steps!!

Slow start today @funshipfreddie????🤨🤨😁

Stay strong folks, we’ve got this!!!

“Self-care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia

Day 2 (sorry!) I chickened out last week – France

So I am a bit late to the party, I see. Oh well, the story of my life.

I did my first 500 cal fast day yesterday – and it wasnt so bad- and this morning I was 2lb down – bit of a surprise/shock but very good for the willpower.

I managed to last until 1pm, then had my favourite ‘breakfast’ of 2 boiled eggs and a small piece of toast. Dinner at 7pm was a couple of slices of rare roast beef and lots of vegetables. Altogether 480 calories. I wonder whether I can just keep having the same meals every fasting day. No exercise though, so I will try better today.

Does anyone still calorie count on the non-fasting days? Before I started this, I was on 1900 a day, and very very slowly losing weight.

We do ‘aperos’ (a French thing) at 6pm, and it was amazing when I started weighing the Crisps/Pringles exactly how many I was consuming – now I just do 15 gramms with sparkling water (instead of wine, except of course when I really really want wine – but that is another story).

Day 7 – USA/GA – Paused

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Oops! The fever metabolism is gone; well, that and I see what one fast food meal can do to you now. I had avoided soft drinks all week, but my mom, in the spirit of kindness, dropped off a fast food meal (“I picked up an extra box when I got the grandkids”) right as I was about to have a simple sandwich. Fast food is interesting, isn’t it? It usually has all of a day’s calories in one sitting, and you’re usually hungry again in an hour.

Ah well, my plan is to return to work tomorrow and maybe do a FD500, depending on how I feel. COVID and Thanksgiving in one month. Oh boy, let’s see how the weight loss pans out…eek

Day 7 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

I slept so badly on Sunday night that I was in bed by 8 last night and asleep by 8:15! Miraculously, I slept until 6:15, which felt like the break of dawn–I’m not typically an early riser–but felt fine once I realized that was ten hours of sleep! So now I’m showered and dressed and ready for the day and it’s only 7am…NOT a typical day, LOL.

@merryapple Lucky you that you’re able to compost your leaves. Imagine a bag three times as big around as I am, and as tall as my armpits, and then picture 14 of them. THAT’S how many leaves we’ll get from our yard by the time it’s all done, and there simply is no room in our tiny yard to do a compost pile or bin. That’s one of the things I most look forward to when we retire and move, is having a larger yard and more sun, instead of the 80% shade I currently cope with.

@carol_bt Well done for doing a successful FD! Note, BTW, that the number at the beginning of your post is the day of the month, now how far you are into fasting. And, yup, counting calories on NFDs is crucial to success, because it’s too easy to feel noble after a FD and go NUTS with the calories on the NFDs. If you were eating 1900 calories and slowly losing weight, then adding in two FDs a week will mean you’re STELLAR for steady weight loss; that must feel exciting and encouraging!

@northgeorgia I’m so glad you’re feeling better! Yeah, fast food can be (relatively) okay if you choose carefully, but once you add in a soft drink and fries, it’s all over. My favorite indulgence is a Burger King Whopper Junior, no mayo, no cheese, heavy on the onion, lettuce and tomato: 330 calories and full of flavor and texture. I skip the fries always, and get a tea (unsweetened, which I know is pointless to a Southern man). It satisfies the fast food cravings (perhaps twice a month for lunch) but doesn’t break the calorie bank.

Yeah, @funshipfreddie, it’s a rare day when you don’t lead off the European posts. Hope all is fine.

@flourbaby I hope you’re feeling just fine now after your serious coffee-fix, LOL! Am I fasting without you, then?

Pocket List Day 7 💪🏻
    @stitchincarol WFD

“You can find inspiration from others, but determination is solely your responsibility.” Have you all truly thought this through? It really does some up the weight-loss journey in a nutshell. So I’ll be responsible today–which I find generally easy, for whatever reason–and spend my thinking time setting myself up for stellar responsibility tomorrow. No luck needed or even relevant: it’s all about taking responsibility, right? So off we all go!

Day 7 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@flourbaby, @stitchincarol – a slow start, yes! But definitely not a late one. I can’t remember the last time I slept beyond 7 am, thanks to Boo Boo. I seem to be going to bed earlier & earlier. It’s the only way I can ensure I get my minimum 7 hours’ sleep 😴 Yeah, it was a nippy 21 C yesterday, according to my phone. I went out with a jacket on, zipped right up to my chin. It’s chilly by the sea! 😅

@at – enjoy the show! I see one of the Nolan Sisters is in it? My claim to fame – true story – I once sold a pair of shoes to one of them 😂. I had a Saturday job at Dolcis in the Manchester Arndale Centre. It must’ve been around ’77/’78. Two of them came in the shop; but I had no idea who they were until another staff member told me, & by then they’d left already.

@northgeorgia – it’s definitely time to un-pause that button 😜

@merryapple – I don’t like that word either 😅 But I thought senility & dementia were sort of synonyms?

@jaifaim – No, we don’t change the clocks here. We’re on CAT – Central African Time. Surprising, for a country this size (about 5 times the size of the UK). I just saw this:- South Africa is about 30 degrees of longitude wide, so strictly speaking it should have two time zones, but it settled on the time zone running through the most populated longitude, that of Johannesburg/ Durban. This resulted in Cape Town effectively being permanently in daylight saving.

@carol_bt – better late than never. Well done on your first 500 cal FD! I can’t think why you shouldn’t have the same meals every FD, so long as it satisfies you & it’s nutritious. I don’t eat until around 7 pm on fast days, & I nearly always have a couple of eggs with some tuna or chicken + veggies. I used to count calories on NFDs, but I’ve been ‘winging it’ recently. I think some members use MFP or some other app every day.

“Don’t expect to see a change if you don’t make one”. ~ Unknown

Day 8 NFD NZ

@snowflower Hope you’re doing OK. We haven’t heard from you.
    @carol_bt Welcome. As @stitchincarol says, you’ll do well with a couple of FDs added to your regular WoL.
    @funshipfreddie senile or senility is old ageing which can include dementia. Dementia is a neurocognitive condition (Alzheimer’s, vascular, trauma, Lewy Body etc) which can also affect the young. I like to think Macintosh is on the slippery slope of senility – can’t read the telephone book, can’t hear cat fights, totters around on his failing back legs and is nicely doolally at the dog park sniffing tree trunks, blades of grass and other dogs and LUVS FOOD. Doggie dementia symptoms include barking in the middle of the night with no purpose ( he goes out for a pee or to sniff the air for cats…) and forgetting how to eat food… He certainly doesn’t tick those boxes!!
    @stitchincarol When I planted my big trees then under planted them I left enough space behind that you can’t see for composting. I lay down cardboard boxes and clippings etc and don’t disturb the soil layers. The worms and insects break everything down quite quickly now and this method blocks weeds😁. I also dug trenches and put in pipes with holes that take water away from the house roof to along the feet of the trees. It’s very satisfying having a healthy ecosystem in my garden which has now had 25 years to establish. And now it’s getting hotter I have lots of green summer shade.
    @northgeorgia It’s a new month. Please please get it together…
    @at Have a wonderful trip with your friends.

Steely Resolve – 3 weeks to go with plenty of temptations coming up…!

Day 1 – FD – Aus

Hello, I am new. I did the 5:2 years ago and have always had success while doing it, but for some reason haven’t done it for ages. I think getting over the first two week hurdle is always the hardest.

Getting back on it today because I haven’t had much luck finding another diet that can be easily balanced with lifestyle.

Question for the group, do you track calories on NFD or do you just try to be mindful?

Thanks – effelle

Day 8 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@merryapple – thanks for the explanation. Yes, 3 weeks to go for this Challenge, & less than 7 til Christmas! I need to stop faffing about – good British word there, ‘faffing’ – & get back to basics.

@effelle90 – welcome back! Some people track calories on NFDs. I think it just depends on what your goals are, how much you’re trying to lose, & finding what works for you. It’s good to do it for a while, I think, at least just learn which foods are the most calorie-dense. The ‘My Fitness Pal’ app is popular here. I hope your first couple of weeks aren’t too tough. It’s a lot like exercising, I think. It gets easier with time, so long as you make it a habit. Stick to two good FDs per week, no matter what, & be sensible on the other days. BTW, the ‘Day’ is just the day’s date, because we’re all over the world. So it’s Day 8, but maybe still Day 7 for some people, or e.g. already Day 9 in New Zealand. I’m guessing you’re somewhere ‘down under’, judging by the time of your post?

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

“The magic you’re looking for is in the work you’re avoiding”. ~ Dipen Parmar

Pocket List – Day 8 🍓
    @effelle90

Day 8 – France – FD

Good morning everyone from a very dull Dordogne. Our autumn days so far have been – about to rain, raining or chucking it down.

I’m off to market in a minute, off to buy some very nice coffee from a very nice chocolate and coffee shop. I had a bit of a health scare this summer (which is why I need to lose some weight) and have joined the ‘life is too short for rubbish coffee’ and whatever else group.

I bounced back a pound this morning, that 2lb loss was too good to last. I use fastsecret to track the calories consumed, and Libra to track the weight. It was recommended by my husband, being an engineer, and a bit of a nerd, he does like his statistics, graphs etc. It’s worth a look, gives trend lines, estimated time to reach target etc etc

Eggs for lunch and steamed salmon and veg for dinner. Buoyed up by some lovely coffee.

2nd Post – Day 8

Pocket List – Day 8 🍓
    @effelle90
    @carol_bt

Day 8 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD
    hello all. Sorry for my absence of a few days, it’s been, well, nuts. And no fasting whatsoever.

On Friday I went for a long due and long awaited girls night in, three of us hadn’t been together since July, lovely Greek food consumed, but then there was chocolates and did I mention the vat of wine? 4.30 am before going to bed 😄 Waaaaaaay past my bedtime.

In the meantime my MIL and BIL had arrived over from England, so as soon as I got home on Saturday it was full on guest mode, cooking, cleaning, talking, talking, eating, drinking 😀We had a family dinner in a local restaurant on Sunday then stayed up late watching movies.

Monday I had to set up my office in the camper van (as the guests were still here and nowhere for me to work without disturbing guests in my little house) and I was shattered from the weekend so nibbled on the secret chocolate supplies in the van.
    Guests left yesterday, then DH had to pack and left at 4am this morning for his boys trip to Milan……

Sooooooo, I am on my own, breather until this weekend coming.

TOO much food consumed, tiredness makes for bad choices. Today I feel great, rested (despite being woken at 3.30 by my traveller DH getting ready to leave)….so it’s an FD today. At last.

Coffee and water until lunch, I have a boiled egg salad ready in the fridge, dinner will be turnip and lentil soup.

Welcome all the newcomers, @snowflower, I love reading your posts, great to have you here. I am posting here since 2017 and consider all here as my secret online friends, such great help and support from all.

Have a great hump day Wednesday 🐫

Day 8 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Problems accessing the forum earlier today Dona short post as in work..
    Good to see you @daffodil2010! Great to have someone posting from la belle France @carol_bt 🇫🇷♥️. I’m just back from my trip there and still feeling the benefits of french infused fun ♥️🇫🇷
    @merryapple Mr Mac cannot read the telephone book? 📖 aww
    @stitchincarol you’re right determination is the key!!
    Huge welcome @effelle90! Most of us keep em eye on calories on NFDs as they are more the problem if you eat with abandon, generally referred to as an EFS 😋😂

Tracking downward… ⬇️

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day 8 🍓
    @effelle90
    @carol_bt
    @jaifaim
    @daffodil2010

Day 8 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 227 lbs. Egads, the feverish metabolism has gone and normal sluggish metabolism has returned! Thankfully, my COVID symptoms have subsided other than some lingering congestion, so it’s back to work and a return to fasting. I won’t do a WFD, but I’ll do a FD500 with soup this evening for supper. Tomorrow is a training event with breakfast and lunch included, but it’s usually very light. If I can contain the next major feast until Thanksgiving, I should minimize the damage this month. I can tell I have gained; chubbier cheeks and tighter pants. Really motivated to get back to where I was.

Pocket List – Day 8 🍓
    @effelle90
    @carol_bt
    @jaifaim
    @daffodil2010
    @northgeorgia

Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Busy day today, and I didn’t manage to post at the usual time–my quiet time–and so need to be brief now so I can get back to work on my long list.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 9 NZ FD 82.2kg

Welcome @effelle90. Great to have another Antipodean since our others seem to have dropped away for now. We get to post first for the new day then it’s off to South Africa and @funshipfreddie.
    @effelle90 and @carol_bt there is a spreadsheet we put up on google sheets to record our monthly weight, FDs etc. The address is in @ATs first post for the month. There is also a Tracker on this site where you can record your whole journey.
    @daffodil2010 Go you!! What a great blow out! No apology needed. I wish you a speedy and happy recovery!!
    I’m over my bowls of soup at the moment. I had two different recipes on the go which I couldn’t seem to finish off. Last night I had a lamb leg steak with purple carrots and parsnips that went pink thanks to the carrots😁 atop green lettuce leaves. Strange but true. Did you know that the price of lamb had gone down considerably because the Aussie lamb producers have flooded the world markets. I hope this is being passed on to you the consumer.
    @northgeorgia Enjoy Thanksgiving. It’s my DHs birthday so I think I’ll make his favourite pumpkin cheesecake rather than a pie. He was also a US citizen. I had an H1 visa.

Have a good day everyone!

Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 9 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Good morning, I’ve woken hungry… and with a headache and generally I am ZBC but have blood tests first thing so may just have to tuck into something… will get ready, have a cuppa and a huge glass of water and see how I’m going.
    There is now no doubt that gluten causes me severe headaches, muscle aches and cognitive issues – no gut or tummy problems though (am planning to have intolerance testing and tthen also to test for coeliac (via scope as recent bloods were negative) but I’m not eating gluten and this headache is different so who knows…

Have a great Thursday everyone – nearly the weekend 🤩

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 9 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@effelle90 – you are in Australia? I guess if I’d read your post properly I would’ve seen that, duh?

@daffodil2010 – good to see you back! I’ve also been making some bad choices recently. But I tell myself if I stick to my two FDs, then I can’t stray too far. A week or so of 4:3 might be in order though 🥴️

@merryapple – Ireland & @jaifaim beat me to it today 😅

@jaifaim – I hope the tests go okay. Can’t imagine waking up with a headache. A hangover, yes; but not a headache 🤯

“You didn’t come this far to only come this far” ~ Matthew Reilly

Pocket List – Day 9 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie

Day 9 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Bovril right now as its cold, then turnip soup for lunch, egg salad for dinner.
    I had a slice of home made chilli lasagne for dinner last night instead of turnip soup, it’s was delicious, and consumed without the usual accoutrements of red wine…..but not an FD.

Was just about to have eggs for breakfast, but instead decided on an FD and not eat until lunch.

I wish I was like a lot of you that cannot bear breakfast, it would make this WOL way easier for me, I have to explain to myself why I am not eating breakfast. And I do often feel deprived 😳 Mojo and metabolism are failing me.

Anyhoo, I am enjoying being on my own for the next couple of days before the family madness starts again.

Have a good one.

Pocket List Day 10
    @daffodil2010

2nd Post – Day 9

Pocket List – Day 9 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010

Day 9, London, UK, FD

Like you @daffodil2010, I’m trying to keep a tight hold on what little mojo I have!!! Like hunger, it seems to come in waves, one day I’m gung-ho thinking I could LIVE on 500cals a day, then the next day I start the day thinking it’ll be an unsuccessful FD, anticipating deprivation, just on a real fasting downer!!! I must switch my brain off, pull my finger out and just do it!!!………… No more faffing!!💪🏽💪🏽

Welcome @effelle90 – you’re in the right place!!! I count calories every day until I regain some control and 5:2 becomes second nature ……………… again!!

@merryapple, a leg of lamb is currently around £13/kg😲 (27NZD, 25AUD, or 300ZAR) with only a shoulder joint coming in cheaper. Lamb is a luxury in my household!!!

@northgeorgia, good to know your symptoms have diminished!🙏🏽 Now to get back on the wagon, your seat awaits!!!

Feeling positive-ish about today’s FD. Not that it matters as I simply have to DO IT!!!!

We’ve got this!!!!

“The power of community to create health is far greater than any physician, clinic or hospital.” – Mark Hyman

Pocket List – Day 9 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby

Day 9 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. Not really another opportunity to fast until Sunday, but that’s OK. Today won’t be a heavy refeeding day 😉

Happy to see a four pound whoosh down today after a week of no fasting and a successful FD500 (more like FD250).

Day 9 Minnesota (USA)

Sorry for being absent. Life gets crazy around here sometimes, will explain later, but right now I’m going for a little surgery. Nothing big, so I will be off line for a few more days then back in the posting chair. You all keep fasting and enjoying it and I’ll catch you in the flip side.

Day 9 Dordogne France NFD
    2 FDs down, thank goodness. I was going to go for a third tomorrow, but it will be a half a one, as we are invited out for dinner. I have seen below 140 for the first time in a long while – so that keeps the motivation up.

Living in France @jaifaim, means that I am constantly tempted by the bread, pastries etc etc. And the easiest way to talk to french people is by talking about food! Thanks for the Headsup about the spreadsheet @merryapple – I have filled it in now.

I just wish I could stop saying ‘I’m starving’. And I dreamed last night about making some Millionaire Shortbread – and I know exactly how calorific that is. Have a good evening, everyone.

As its a NFD day, I am looking forward to a home cooked, but not by me, lasagne.

Day 10 NFD Auckland 81.7kg

Soup is not so bad after all…I’m in the 81s! Even if it is after a FD…
    @daffodil2010 I love breakfast – tea and sourdough topped with grapefruit marmalade. This morning I had muesli (oats and buckwheat groats with seeds and wee pieces of dried fruit), yoghurt and bottled plums from our tree. What’s not to like!! I must say though when I started at 7am I took breakfast to work and had it for morning tea. Early morning starts are sooo uncivilised!
    @snowflower Sending strength for your surgery. We’ll look forward to having you back with us afterwards.
    @northgeorgia I’m so pleased you have come back down from that unmentionable number!!
    @flourbaby A leg of lamb at the supermarket this week is on average $12/kg which is around £6. When I was a kid there were 70+ million sheep in the country. Thanks to the acrylic industry (carpets, knitware etc) the wool prices are extremely low to the point there’s no profit to be had for farmers. There are now less than 30 million sheep here with a lot of dairy conversions (sheep and beef farms converted to milking cattle). Environmentally it’s a no brainer – Choose Wool!! And Sheep!!
    @jaifaim It will be good to have someone sort out a diagnosis for you so you can get some targeted treatment. It always sounds like you are great at managing yourself and handling what you can and can’t eat. Sending❤️
    @carol_bt I love that – “estimated time to reach your target” It’s a bit like looking into a crystal ball for me – if you knew how long it would take, would you just go straight for the surgical staple gun!! I don’t envy you having to walk past those beautiful pastry shops! But the great thing about 5:2 is you only have to do that for two days a week. The other days you can allow yourself a little something!
    @stitchincarol Unusual for you to be MIA! I imagine you are busy. Have you recovered fully from covid? There can be a sting in the tail for about two weeks so go easy on yourself…
    We’re off to our local dog friendly burger and beer joint this evening with the pack. Back up to the 82s I go… 😩😄

Have a good weekend everyone!

Day 10 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 71.2 kg

Another successful FD, 600 cals + 10,400 steps. But the scale’s not cooperating for some reason. So it’ll be another FD tomorrow; & maybe Monday too.

It’s another glorious spring day, so I’m off out

Happy Fri-yay! 🍹

“A goal without a plan is just a wish”. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Day 10 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾
    157.5 lbs

Up and out early on my bike and have stopped for a coffee. @funshipfreddie Ireland is behind you today 👋

Oh @daffodil2010 I actually love really nice breakfast food (french toast, eggs, toast with butter etc not too bothered with cereal) but I push my first meal of the day out as I know it opens the feeding floodgates. I think @funshipfreddie is the same but @stitchincarol and others actually don’t like eating breakfast…. My mum was the same all her life (literally couldn’t stomach it) until the Alzheimer’s kicked in and now she loves her breakfast – bizarre!
    On this… I actually managed to push myself though to 1pm lunch with just a black coffee yesterday… definitely a case of mind over matter and a lot of water! Headache was still there most of the day but not as bad as when I had woken up.

I toatally understand @carol_bt I lived in France for over a decade when I was younger and it’s very much my second home with family and friends still there… 🇫🇷♥️ the hardest thing for me is to avoid the fab pastries and bread when I’m back. You live in a beautiful part of the country.

@snowflower all the best with the surgery 🙏 and see you when you are back.

@merryapple yep I’m definitely getting better at being in tune with what I can and can’t eat and being a WOCA I react to far more food, fragrances etc. than ever before – but, and it’s like any foods we all know we shouldn’t eat, it doesn’t mean I stay away from them all the time. But I do then suffer the consequences 🤕 🥲 Unfortunately the list is growing and typically it’s all what would have been my favourites 🥲 bread (gluten is a biggie for me but then I was tying to cut that anyway so maybe in a way it’s a blessing although I’ve been finding alternatives and gluten free foods are packed with sugar so it’s a vicious circle as I cut sugar too). It’s enough to drive you to drink (but I’m mostly AF 😂😂)

Thinking of @michelinme here 👋 as she also has auto immune conditions and is wonderfully in tune with how her body reacts. We miss you!

Also as you mention sheep farming -thinking of @lilymartin! 👋
    I couldn’t tell you what a leg of lamb costs here but that’s so interesting given that there feels like there is a shift towards dairy alternatives now … but yes absolutely we should choose wool. Natural, beautiful and comfy and one of my favourites things about winter 🧶
    @stitchincarol hope all is ok 👌

Have a great weekend everyone🤩

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 10, London, UK, NFD,

Office breakfast day!!! As a member of the ZBC I’ll stash my sausage sarnie until lunchtime, add an avocado, and call it OMAD.

@northgeorgia, congrats on the whoosh, I know I need to drink lots more water on a FD to encourage my body to release some fat & get that whoosh, but water doesn’t appeal to me when it is a rainy 7 degrees Celsius like today!🥶

@snowflower, take care of yourself, hope the minor surgery goes well🙏🏽, we’ll catch up once you’re recuperating

@carol_bt, I couldn’t possibly live in France, there’s only so much willpower in the world and I would need every last ounce of it to avoid visiting la boulangerie a couple of times a day, I did NOT come by my name by chance!! Have a glass of water every time you think you’re starving, you’ll either be tied to the toilet or have a huge whoosh and embrace that hunger!!!!

In all honesty @jaifaim, if I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant, I would stick my fingers in my ears and ‘La, La, La’ my way to the bakery!!! It’s that ostrich mentality again, hence the return to my initial start weight of 2016😞😞!!!

@merryapple, as much as I love a bit of double cream on ANY dessert😋, I don’t drink milk! I remember someone saying we’re the only animal that drinks milk in adulthood (I guess it’s just because we can!) and also Jamie Oliver showing the wheelbarrow full of sugar we give our children over a year just in free school milk alone!!! Wool & sheep all the way!!! Cows = Global warming ……………… simple!

Stay strong everyone, I’m planning a FD tomorrow, anyone joining me??

“Ensure that your goal outweighs your temptation “

Day 10, No. VA USA-NFD

Busy week for some reason. Weight stable, not decreasing. Glass of wine at dinner no doubt not helping. Planning to join the fasters tomorrow. I need to make a new batch of vegetable soup!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply.