The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,501 through 1,550 (of 11,673 total)

• Hermaj – there’s a lot of stuff here that sounds incredibly familiar! My folks – who loved all of us kids and only wanted to do their best for us – also had nicknames for me in my early teens. As 3rd child, first daughter, I began all my ‘woman’ stuff around 12 or 13 and along with the puppy fat, burgeoning breasts and uncomfortable monthly bleeds I was also emotionally volatile and sensitive. How fitting then that my folks, then my brothers, all started calling me ‘Podge’ and ‘Tub’. It hurt, but then I assumed that was how things were. Just as they did. No-one was being cruel. But the wounds last for years, more so because you know it wasn’t meant cruelly. Just one of those things. And yes, being a child of the 50s, the food was good, honest, non-processed food but in huge portions – presumably a reaction to the economies of the war years. And yes! I remember the song ‘A Pub with no Beer’! Except I always thought they were singing ‘The Dog with No Beard’. Hey, I was just a kid, ok? 🙂

“this months GI News from Sydney Uni has an interesting note on ” Keeping it off ””
    Agreed that this is an interesting read, Tarkeeth, Lichtle.

That’s more or less the pattern that I followed. I used to drop some weight and then I’d plateau for some time (the plateau just happened, it wasn’t intentional) and this repeated until I reached my original goal weight (130lbs). That was the point at which I learned that I have low muscle mass/high body fat which was horrible news at the time but I decided that I needed to maintain for 6months before deciding what to do next.

After 6 months, I decided to start reducing my body fat so started on that and repeated the loss and plateau pattern until my present weight (approx. 108lbs) at which I’m maintaining. It will be interesting to see if I can maintain at this level. (I’m concerned that any regain will be solely body fat and it will be very easy for me to be in the normal weight obese category as it’s known as that’s judged on BMI and body fat level by Dexa scan. At 130lbs with a BMI of <23, I was in the normal weight, morbidly obese category.)

Hi All,

I’ve had a busy couple of days (yay, holiday!) so haven’t had much time for the forum.

I found the link from Tim interesting also. Hopefully people plateauing will take comfort that they might actually be more successful in keeping it off long term! I’m also impatient for results though. I’ve lost about 17% of former me, and wouldn’t have wanted to lose 5% then wait 3 months before losing another 5 etc! I’m hoping that 5:2 weight loss is different though as you lose fat but maintain muscle, so your ‘engine’ doesn’t shrink.

Although I was child in the 70s, the stories here of wholesome food in too large quantities, starving children who would be considerably more grateful than me, and excess weight equating to ‘bonny’, are all too familiar! Also the ‘endearments’ which shape your lifelong internal opinion that you are a podger or greedy. They were throw away comments that parents and siblings don’t even remember making, but you struggle to forget.

Re: fasting in winter. I started in early January and, despite being colder, coped. When working at home I hugged a radiator, had my feet on a hot water bottle, and tried to keep a cat on my knee! This coming winter will be interesting. I need to make sure I don’t get too relaxed and complacent now I’m maintaing rather than focused and driven on 5:2.

Interesting SSure, how did you know you had low muscle mass and high body fat? To go from original target weight of 130lbs to 108lbs is quite significant. What made you go for that weight – did you just think lets see how low I can get on 5:2 or did you have 108lb as a new target weight?

@ssure, sorry I have just looked at your previous posts, (must do that more when asking questions) and it turns out you have already explained. I can’t believe you lost 60lbs and are now a BMI19. What a feat!!!. Interesting as I had wondered if a BMI of under 20 at our age is just a nostalgic dream.

Hi Honjie,

We haven’t met before but from reading your posts I like your style. It’s good that the ribbing you used to get wasn’t meant cruelly, but of course that sort of thing still hurts.

Mine wasn’t kindly meant. My father couldn’t forgive me for a) being female, b) being short, dark and fat, c) being academic rather than athletic and finally and probably worst of all d) having a flair for foreign languages which, as a committed xenophobe, he regarded as the most heinous of my sins.

If he wanted a tall, blond, leggy athlete of either gender with not too many brains and a total blank where other languages were concerned, he shouldn’t have chosen my small, plump, intelligent mum whose extended family included several French nationals – her aunt eloped with a French croupier, but that’s another story. 🙂 As a teenager she would regularly visit her French rellies and from an early age she taught me little bits of French. More importantly, she made me realise that ordinary people, people in our own family spoke other languages and it was a great idea to be able to communicate with them and others like them.

All that was a long, long time ago. It took me a long time to get myself together but as a mature student I went to a good uni and came away with modern languages degree, qualified as a teacher and taught French and Spanish for five years before finally finding my real calling. For 24 years I’ve been a freelance translator, something I love and according to colleagues and clients am rather good at. And thanks to 5:2, a lot of the fat has disappeared, too. 🙂

Hi Happy, it’s a pity that they were still shooting the “starving refugee” line in the seventies, which I always thought was a more enlightened era.

Re winter fasting. This is when soups come into their own. It’s amazing how low in calories some really hearty soups can be. If you can’t be bothered to cook soup every day, maybe make a bit potful and freeze it in portions. Cats and hot water bottles are also an excellent solution.

Morning All,

Having made, and partaken of, biscuits when the MIL stayed, and Welsh cakes at the weekend, and a bit more bread lately… Well, I’m at my upper maintenance limit and feeling a bit puffy and potbellied. Oh, and did I mention the slab of farmhouse flapjack I had yesterday while out walking…?!

So it’s a fast day today and I am aiming for a proper 6:1. I’m sharing this, because if I don’t say it I might not do it!

Oh yes you will Happy! And enjoy it!!! P 😉

Hi PVE.

I will enjoy it! I just need to get into it…

Just seen references to ‘Fast 5’ on another thread. Not heard of it so googled it. It’s another IF protocol where you fast for 19 hours each day. Not necessarily any calorie restriction, but works on lowering insulin/ fat burning for health with gradual weight loss a benefit.

I didn’t read all the book reviews on Amazon, but one reported lowered BP and blood sugar (and weight loss). Which does support the benefit of the long fast window with or without additional calorie restriction (for health at least).

It struck me that this is what I have done on ‘fast days’ since reaching goal because I lose more weight if I restrict calories. And some maintainers will be doing this most days (or an even ‘Fast 3’ or ‘Fast 2’…!!)

I never knew not eating until perhaps 11am had a name (16:8). And now this!

Who knew, there really is a name for everything now….!

Hello Lichtle, “What a feat!!!. Interesting as I had wondered if a BMI of under 20 at our age is just a nostalgic dream”. Thank you – as I’ve said elsewhere, I seem to have had a mostly invisible weight loss as nobody has commented on it (apart from DH, and I swear he’d never have noticed if he weren’t the one recording our weights at the weekly weigh-in).

BMI is easy to apply when assessing people but (as you know) it’s not at all helpful for guiding the choices of an individual. In many ways, it would be more helpful for me to have another 20lbs of lean body mass (I’d be a BMI of 23) as it would reduce my risk of CVD, diabetes etc. But, post-menopausal women with sarcopenic obesity are not male teenagers with a hormone profile that is pushing them towards muscle development, we don’t do that.

Oddly enough, with an additional 20lbs of LBM (which would put me at the low end of LBM for women my age/build), my shape probably wouldn’t be very different, my muscle definition would show nicely because I’d have a body fat of approx. 20% rather than my current level of approx. 26%. 🙂

It IS interesting, Happy. The evidence does seem to point to a long fasting break as key to maintaining health benefits with this WOL. There is definitely a connection for my OHs blood sugar results.
    We were touring through a stunning coastal region on the south east coast of WA, beautiful Angus(black cattle) contrasted against bright green paddocks, aqua sea in the background with rocky, volcanic peaks ringing the bay. The sky is overcast (actually it is drizzling), but ideal for photos. I had to keep getting the driver to stop, reverse, to get the perfect shot. Stunning scenery.
    All the best with your fast today, H, we did 24 hours before a healthy fish and veg cookup last night. We both felt great. Trousers of truth still well and truly fit, so I doubt I’ve gained on this driving holiday. Catching up with more folk tomorrow for a week, so it will be hard to fast again and we have all the Clare Valley wine to get through before we go home. P xx

Ha, PVE! Another Scottish connection. ‘Angus’ cattle are all developed from Scottish cattle (native to Aberdeenshire and Angus, hence Aberdeen Angus).

Re: long fasting window. I do think it’s worth emphasizing that 5:2 is amazingly effective for weight loss but is not the only IF protocol that provides health benefits. I know there are some 5:2 ‘purists’, and this is obviously a 5:2 forum, but, especially for people who can’t maintain on 5:2, it’s good to know that all is not lost!

So you’re travelogue will be coming to an end soon then? I think someone else will need to take up the batten and take us on a journey round their country!

We could call it Fast Travel, couldn’t we!
    The reason there is such a connection between Scotland and Aust in agriculture is because a huge number of our early settlers on the land were from Scotland, mine certainly were. The names of farming areas are often Scottish based, whereas in mining areas you will find Welsh place names (eg Aberglasslyn a coal mining town in the Hunter Valley NSW) P

Hello Ssure, had to google sarcopenic obisety, how ignorant am I… :)) I find it amazing that you lost so much weight and such low BMI and still think you have a body fat of 26%.
    Whilst I have often bemoaned the fact that I seem to lose fitness so much more quickly and gain fitness more slowly than in my younger days, I have oddly never thought much about the fact that there is LESS “muscle mass”. I just thought it was my body repairing more slowly. I have no idea what my body/fat mass ratio is but you are right a BMI of a 20 year old must be very different to that of a 50 year old hence the different shapes.
    Do you think it would be important for an individual to know what the fat v muscle % is before deciding on a target weight?

Hi Lichtle, I won’t be able to confirm it until my next Dexa scan (scheduled for 2015) but, sadly, it’s a question of mathematics and it assumes the best case scenario of none of my weight loss being lean body mass/muscle rather than body fat.

I was just over 30% body fat at 117lbs (Dexa scan): my lean body mass (everything except my fat) is 82-84lbs iirc, so the fat was 33-35lbs. I need my LBM to stay the same (much as I’d like my skeletal muscle to increase) so, if I’ve lost nothing but body fat, I now weigh 9 lbs less at 108lbs so, 24-26lbs of fat or approx. 25% body fat.

If I weighed 105-108lbs, I’d still be 22-25% body fat.

I’d have to be in the ‘underweight for my height’ range of 96-100lbs to be in the recommended body fat zone for my level of skeletal muscle and high risk category for metabolic disease. But, just to be clear, nobody (including me) thinks that would be a good idea as it would have other consequences that would offset any theoretical benefit.

Yes, based on my own experience, I think it’s essential to have a good idea of what your body composition is before choosing a target (I know we mostly agree on weight as the most readily understood measurement of progress but it can be positively unhelpful once a certain point is passed). I think, depending on your lean body mass, it makes far more sense to have a body composition target and let the weight be what it is.

That said, I’m not going to pretend that this didn’t incur a lot of expense and disruption to obtain these evaluations and then formulate a plan based on the results (because helpful data and guidance are almost non-existent).

There’s a common saying, “Never run a test if you don’t know what you’d do with the results”. Well, for me, that meant having to purchase a Dexa scan when the results of the BodPod analysis seemed so implausible (normal weight, morbidly obese – I was an outlier even by Shah & Braverman standards). Then I had to spend a long time reverse engineering the data sets that do exist in order to verify that my LBM is abnormally low and I’m in the sarcopenic obesity category more because I have a clinically low amount of skeletal muscle. After that, I had to tweak my diet – and all without any guidance as I don’t fit standard categories. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, even at my Dexa scan feedback, I was initially advised to ‘Eat Less, Move More’ which was beyond irritating.

I was going to write something about, If you suspect that you’re within the general bell curve for LBM, then you don’t need this expense. However, the Shah and Braverman study indicates that the majority of normal weight by BMI post-menopausal women are overweight/obese by body fat level and that they tend not to receive the counselling on metabolic matters that they need (NB, see Table 4). So, overall, I know that there’s no ready access to accurate body composition, and it’s expensive but I think it’s a wise investment for your own goal setting and health assessment.

Shah and Braverman http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0033308

This discussion re body fat vs lean body mass is interesting. I do know that one of the things that happens as we age is that we gain fat in particular areas to protect us if we have a fall. So seems reasonable the body fat/lean body mass is meant to change and weight loss possibly won’t have any effect on it. Any dietitians on this forum? 🙂

@ssure thank you for your detailed explanation and for the link. I must study it and also read up more about muscles.

I just saw on a web site that 21% – 24% body fat = fit women, 25% – 32% body fat = healthy/acceptable range so you can be satisfied that you are now just about “fit” at 108 lbs. But unless you are 4ft8 that is a very low weight indeed. I still can’t get over your low weight.

I have just looked up DEXA scan and apparently this is a scan that also measures bone density, which I had done a couple of years ago (Osteoperosis runs in the family together with early menopause). Next time I am due I will definitely ask to have the fat composition results too.

I have one more question if you don’t mind. Did you suspect that you had low muscle mass before your scan? I mean where there strange indicators for example did you find it hard to excercise – run etc? How does low muscle mass tranlsate into everyday life?

Thank you once more I have learned not to get too focused on BMI and weight and have a look at your shape/wobbly bits :)) etc a bit more.

Lichtie, your comment 21% – 24% body fat = fit women, 25% – 32% body fat = healthy/acceptable range is interesting. I had my body fat measured at the gym a few years ago. At the time I was very thin and very very fit, quite a few years younger and my body fat was still 26% which I really couldn’t understand and thought maybe their measuring techniques weren’t as accurate as they could be. They used an instrument a bit like pincers and just grabbed bits of fat and measured. The people who took the measurement told me my body fat was too high. But maybe this body fat is more complicated and important than I thought. I’ve lost 7kg and have no idea how much of that is body fat. I thought I read on one of the other links there were scales you could buy that gave that information. I don’t see how a set of scales could do that though! 🙂

Hello Lichtle,

There are different international standards for judging categories of obesity/overweight by body fat and they’re currently under revision by the WHO.

For now, the American Society of Bariatric Physicians’ New Obesity Algorithm categorises >30% body fat (for women) as eligible for fairly invasive anorectic procedures to ‘treat’ obesity.

http://www.asbp.org/obesityalgorithm.html

http://www.asbp.org/images/PDFs/Resources/ASBP-Obesity-Algorithm_Infographic.pdf (tho’ it says 32% body fat on that infographic and >25% for men, there are age stratifications that I can’t locate for now)

High body fat levels are associated with endocrine changes that are associated with metabolic perturbations and dysregulation which is why the categorisation of body fat levels is being re-examined in light of the widespread concerns about diabesity.

It’s difficult to highlight any particular clue that I had low muscle mass as so many people would share the same experience without having the same root cause.

I had a slow weight loss journey with lengthy plateaus where the losses did not theoretically correspond with my food consumption nor activity levels.

For some time, I’ve been unable to stand up unaided from a seated position (by which I mean that I had to use my hands and arms as well as walking poles – this isn’t as huge a clue as it might have seemed as I’ve had some mobility problems since an accident a while ago).

My stamina and strength disappeared precipitately and precipitously. (Again, the difficulty with this was that everyone kept telling me that muscle memory would kick in and these would return. Despite my activity levels, both deteriorated.)

The biggest thing that gnawed at me was that as I approached my target weight, I was much larger and ‘fluffier’ than I’d anticipated which was a clue that my body fat level was much higher than it had been when I’d crossed that point when I gained weight after the accident, IYSWIM).

For me, the biggest inconveniences are the loss of strength and stamina in combination with other problems. I find it difficult to walk or stand without my walking poles but, *every single day*, I get smart alec remarks from people about it (There’s no snow. You’re not wearing any skis. You forgot your skis. You’re taking up too much space. Shouldn’t you be better now?).

It’s difficult to maintain your balance when you’ve lost muscle from your legs etc. and it makes showering/dressing surprisingly difficult and walking on uneven/badly maintained roads is the proverbial minefield. It’s horribly easy to trip/fall and if you’ve any degree of osteoporosis, it’s recommended that you should be X-rayed after a fall – but if you followed that recommendation, there are days you’d never be out of A&E and you’d breach the radiation exposure guidelines in a very short time period.

I’m quite irritated that there’s so much moral opprobrium about overweight/obesity as a public health scourge but there’s comparatively little useful guidance for people who are not under the general bell curve (and, in any population, that’s a substantial number). Plus, there is increasing coverage of TOFIs (Thin Outside, Fat Inside) but I don’t see the usefulness in doing that if people don’t have ready or affordable access to the sort of technology that would let them know that they’re in that category – far less any validated guidance for them.

SSure, I am so very sorry to hear about your accident which exacerbated your tendency for lower muscle mass so that they almost had no chance to fully gain strength again. Life can be such a struggle when you lack energy and stamina – when the head wants to do all these things and the body won’t play along. It must be so frustrating for you to have to listen to people who don’t understand and make hurtful comments.

I did not know that body mass/fat/muscle figures are currently being reviewed. It seems that like the BMI these figures are also quite arbitrary and a lot more complicated.

I totally get your frustration re oversimplification and lack of guidelines for a significant number of people who are square pegs being pushed into round holes. The obesity crisis is now such that “if you can’t see the fat it can’t be that bad”. Lets fire fight and treat the people who are fat on the inside AND on the outside first. I believe it really boils down to lack of resources and reliable long term studies.

I have often thought how very little is really known/understood about how our body absorbs, uses and stores energy and why people differ so much. The fact that it was the year 2012 that fasting was popularised by a TV programme proving that there were genuine health benefits and was not just for some weird cranks speaks volumes. Why did it take that long? Incidentally there is an interesting little kindle book (free) called: “The No Breakfast Plan” written in the late 1800s by a medical doctor who observed that very critically ill people would recover from serious illness when totally abstaining from all food since the body can go into repair mode and doesn’t need energy for digestion. He was called a lunatic and dangerous.

Ssure I am so very impressed by your knowledge, dedication and courage, overcoming difficult medical issues. What enormous encouragement and support you provide here – I love to read your posts. You can be so proud of yourself.

@carolannfud. I agree I can’t see how measuring a bit of flesh can give you an accurate picture – neither do I believe scales can do that. but it is funny even if we know that, part of us is still “horrified” secretly fearing it might be true – so it is better to not go there and only get that info from a proper scan.
    Even less incentive knowing that they are reviewing the guidelines. Hey ho.

I’m so happy to have found this thread! I’m 54 years old and started with 4:3 in July 2013 (5’4″ and 134 lbs, which is heavy for me) and reached my goal (116 lbs) in January 2014 (before that, I was really frustrated – just couldn’t get the weight off with normal calorie restriction diets and exercise). I decided to move my goal a little lower to try to get rid a last bit of round tummy and am now between 110 and 115 lbs consistently, sticking with a slightly relaxed 5:2 (but lots of exercise). Disclaimer: All of these weights are without a stitch of clothes on, before eating, and often after running in Texas and sweating buckets, so they may not be totally honest, but they make me feel good!)When I first reached my goal in January, I couldn’t find a thread on maintenance and just now decided to check back.

I have several question/observations I’d love to hear everyone’s reactions to. First, when I went in for a routine checkup, my doctor took me to task for weighing too little! I was very surprised, as I expected to be congratulated. At the time I weighed 118 lbs, and she said that research showed lower BMIs in middle aged women – particularly white women – put them at increased risk for osteoporosis. I did some reading and found that she was right about the research, but I still lost an additional 5 lbs because I just couldn’t see the value to my health of having a few additional pounds of fat around my middle. I’m eating healthy and doing weight-bearing exercise, so hopefully I’m OK. Has anyone else had this reaction from their doctors?

Also, I notice that when I do put a pound or two back on, it goes straight to my middle – my whole life before this I struggled with weight on my butt and thighs. Must be changes in hormones, but that means I REALLY had better not gain that weight back if it’s all going to go to my belly! I find weighing every day and going back to 4:3 if the weight creeps up (mainly because of travel) takes care of things. This is great psychologically, because I feel in control even when the scale goes up a bit, and I don’t panic.

OK, I know this is getting very long, so one last question. I find that even though I’m thin now and I do lots of ab exercises, my stomach isn’t as flat as it used to be in the days of my youth. I also notice that some older (70s and 80s) women who are quite thin still have a large protruding belly (my grandmother was this way). I had thought maybe they just carried all their fat there, but now I’m wondering if there’s a muscle or membrane or something that holds abdominal organs in that just get loose with age for women. Has anyone heard of this? Very depressing question, I know, but if that’s the case, perhaps there are ways to avoid this. 🙂 Thanks!

Hi Hermaj
    Thanks for the compliment! I love reading everyone’s stories, and yours was very poignant; I felt myself almost punching the air when I read about your successes despite the odds. Brilliant. And you know what? I only just realised this, but I never, ever feel like I need to put a face to the posts. Everyone’s character comes through their words and whatever they look like – facial features, body shape – does not matter one bit! If anyone else feels the same then this is truly the place where physical appearance is unimportant – our triumphs are!
    Food-wise: tonight’s fast meal was 2 juicy beef tomatoes, dry-roasted with lots of garlic (in their skins) and rosemary, served on a bed of spinach flavoured with the roasted garlic flesh. Delicious. Very, very low-cal so I am having some fresh-picked blackberries whizzed with almond milk for a dessert/drink.
    There are so many acronyms to learn!!! And I LOVE the term ‘trousers of truth’!!!

Hi Lucy in the Sky,
    Have you tried Pilates? I had been doing it for 3 years before I combined it with the 5:2 and the difference was phenomenal. It works on the core muscles, and in fact you can tighten up your core muscles anytime, anywhere. It will also help guard against osteoporosis so there’s one in the eye for your doc! Try doing a weekly class and maybe ten or fifteen minutes a day the rest of the week. Hope my tuppence worth helps!

Hi Lucy

I cannot answer your questions, but I can add that I also only ever put weight back on my stomach and waist areas.

I am maintaining and I can lose the extra weight in one or two fast days, so it doesn’t worry me. But, yes, it only ever goes back on my stomach or waist areas. It never goes on to my upper arms or legs or backside or shoulders or breasts.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi LucyintheSkye your height is similar to mine (5ft3) and I am now 112lb. Unfortunately last month I have not been able to lose and am now taking it easy and maintain. not sure I want /need to lose more. I was interested to hear your doctor’s concern re Osteoporosis – as I have been diagnosed a couple of years ago. However since I started Menopause at the age of forty, I have been on HRT ever since and apparently that is supposed to help with the osteoporosis. this means I have not had the menopausal problems like hot flushes and changing body shape (just seemed to put on weight very slowly).

But my observation also told me that the body shape of more mature ladies seem to change even if they stay the same weight.

@Honje I am happy to hear your suggestion that Pilates can counter this because I have been wanting to start (got the books and CDs) This will definitely give me another push and motivate me to start exercising.

Hi Honjie, What a very sweet message, thank you so much.

There is an upside to being a late developer for whatever reason.

People who tread the normal path, i.e. leave school, maybe go to uni or seek other qualifications, get a good job, work hard, rise up the ladder and continue until they get the partnership or the headship, the senior management post or perhaps become a consultant, etc. But then, many of them have got where they were going by age 40-45.

But if like me, you don’t go to uni until your mid-30s, don’t find the job you were made for until you turn 50, then really hit your stride and become not just competent but really good at 60 and henceforth never look back. Now I’m in the final straight of a part-time MA in History of Art – not at all irrelevant to the work I do – so the fun continues.

I also have the good fortune to be married to a guy who is currently reinventing himself as a Tai Chi/Qi Gong instructor, passing all the necessary exams and coming very close to officially qualifying.

On the subject of the MA dissertation, to my Australian mates Purple and Nicky who, quite rightly, ask me why am I faffing about on the forum instead of getting on with the job, you’ll see I’ve only been posting in the last hour or so, and the day is fast approaching when I shall confine myself to lurking around the fringes. Unless, that is, someone comes up with an amazing story which demands to be responded to. 🙂

Hi Honjie,

I don’t feel the need to know what you all look like and it would be odd to put faces to you all! Like reading a novel where you visualize the heroine as Sandra Bullock and then they film it with Uma Therman….!

Hi Lucy,

I’ve also heard that carrying a bit more weight may be healthier, but I haven’t seen the research. Maybe the thin women with brittle bones were actually malnourished or long-term smokers rather than being slim as a result of healthy eating and exercise?! I don’t blame you for ignoring your doctor. It seems that a lot of doctors don’t really know much about natural health, can’t treat it unless there’s already a pharmaceutical treatment, and don’t realise a lot of the snake oil they peddle is being funded by big business….

Re: larger belly in older women. Some of it could be poor posture? Also, maybe the weak muscle theory could be true? Child-bearing weakens stomach muscles and in some cases causes splits. So particularly if you’ve had kids, core strengthening should probably be a priority. Or support underwear!

Or even Uma Thurman. Don’t think Uma Therman has had her big break yet…

Hi Hermaj,

You are an inspiration to all of us that you want something, you’re never too old! I agree that school to uni to job isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It would have been nice to have been a fully formed person before deciding what I wanted to be for the rest of my life!

Do you have a deadline for the dissertation? You’ll be a sad, but temporary, loss from the forum!

Hi Happy,

Such a lovely post, thank you! Had I gone from school to uni at the right time, I doubt whether I would have been nearly as happy and modestly successful as I have been. In fact, I can see myself as a second term drop-out. I did drop out of the 6th form during the first spring half term and got myself a job. I was refused references by the head and it was predicted that I would come to a bad end.

But there was one brilliant Scottish woman who taught A-level French, the sort of teacher who put the fear of God up the little ones but was adored by the older girls. She took me to one side and told me I had “the makings of a first class linguist”. I’ve never forgotten her and when I learnt that she had lived into her 90s I was sorry I hadn’t tried to track her down and tell her how right she had been.

To answer your question, the dissertation is due for delivery on or before September 29. I had already done and written up a lot of research and much of it can be cut and pasted into the final document. At the moment it’s like Eric Morecambe’s rendition of Greig’s piano concerto – all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order. Plus I’ve still got a fair bit of reading to do, but I’ll get there in the end. I’ll still be hovering over the Forum, though, and may occasionally join in briefly.

Good morning all.

Regarding the osteoporosis discussion, there’s been also some discussion on the ‘lose 2lb per week …’ thread which you may find interesting if you haven’t already read it. Amazon has a professional background in the area.

Two fantastic B2B fast days and 830C consumed overall so very pleased. Last night had 50g grilled WA crayfish tail and salad for dinner. They were going cheap at local fish wholesaler (frozen) a few weeks ago. Buttered OH’s before grilling and popped some sliced potato on the grill to top his up.

Happy Wednesday all.

Thank you NickyF I will check out the other thread.

Hi all my wonderful MC mates. So much to read and respond to and we have to hit the no service road again:(
    Hermaj as a fellow mature aged student I couldn’t agree more. We bring experience to our studies.
    As to faces Happy is right I mentally imagine you all. Fabulous characters: )
    And our fat is only on our tums now too. I also think it will require massive muscle toning to hold it in. Cheers all P x

Hi everyone

Just returned from my Corporate Cup walk (improved 4 minutes on last time) and now enjoying café latte.

Purple and Hermaj, a word that describes all of us who have undertaken study at a more mature time of life – opsimath, from ancient Greek meaning ‘late in learning’. Courtesy of OED’s word of the day.

Plan to work it into a conversation sometime today otherwise might forget it 🙂

Will do Nicky! Opsimath Purple

Hi Nicky, Does my DPhil qualify me as an opsimath? Did it between years 26 – 32, or is that not sufficiently mature…?

Well yesterday’s fast was probably nearer 600 calories than 500 but I’m having a more active week so TDEE will be higher (that’s my excuse at least!). Anyway, it’s done the trick. Back to 59.3 from 60. Provided I’m sensible, my day after fast weight becomes my new weight so I’m happy with that.

Dad update. He’s dropped another lb and thrilled. He was a bit concerned that he might be overdoing the fasting though, as an acquaintance of his (similar age) who started 5:2 before him is pleased to have lost 7lbs (Dad must have lost 20). I tried to reassure him that he needn’t worry about ‘over’ fasting! Dad’s fast day is yoghurt and fruit at lunch, then meat (sometimes chicken kiev!) and salad for tea, with wine, and cheesecake or crumble and cream…. On non fast days, he now also eats a lot less processed carbs, so will have cut his overall calorie intake.

He too reports reduced carb craving and ability to refuse cake (previously unheard of!). I can only assume it’s the long (maybe 19 hr) fast window and low processed carbs that are making the difference for Dad.

Hi Hermaj,

My OH was also a late starter, coming good after a less than auspicious start! He definitely experienced life before ‘settling’ on something.

Glad to hear dissertation is on track, and not too long to go. Good luck with the rearranging. My job involves review ing, reading and writing every day so I am very familiar with getting it all on paper and then making a flowing argument from the stream of consciousness!

Hi Nicky, As some of our Welsh friends might say, “opsimath? Ooh, there’s posh!” As long it doesn’t morph into “opsidaisy” as I metaphorically fall flat on my face.

Of course you’re not too young to be a mature student, Happy. I think for most unis you qualify as “mature” at 25. I would imagine a lot of people working towards doctorates are around their mid-20s although some will be quite a bit older.

At Birkbeck, mature (25+), very mature (me) and antideluvian (even older than me) work happily together. Even I am a still a spring chicken, or at least a summer chicken, in the great scheme of things.

Right, I’m out of here before I get told off. French poetic realist cinema and British New Wave, here I come. BTW the working title of the dissertation is “Working-class Heroes and Angry Young Men” You can see why it’s such fun. 🙂

Woah up, Hermj, don’t leave yet, you will enjoy this story.
    Feeling the need to do some exercise after another 4 hour drive (yes we in Australia are quite happy to travel the distance from London to Scotland any time), we headed off on a coastal bush track that promised a beach at the end of 1.6km (1 mile). The undergrowth was thick, the path sandy and narrow and absolutely no sign of an end to it. I was conscious of snakes, only an idiot wouldn’t be (OH), when I stopped dead in my tracks and whispered to OH, “Tiger Snake!”. He didn’t take a photo, which really surprised me. I stood very still as it slithered slowly across the path and turned to look at me. I am not afraid of snakes but have a deep respect for deadly ones right in front of me. When it eventually moved off, I ran as fast as I could past that point. We made it to the end of the track, found it didn’t actually go down onto the beach and headed back into the bush. I rolled my socks over my jeans, grabbed a stick to wave in front of me and stomped the whole way back. The theory being my loud banging would alert the snakes and the stick, I’m not sure what, but I felt happy waving it around. OH thought I looked as if I was divining snakes! How rude! He laughed the whole way. Well you have no idea how quickly we got back. My heart rate was roaring, sweat pouring down my back, vision gone all blurred, so we drove to a gorgeous little lonely beach and drank wine, ate cheese and biscuits and watched the sun set as pelicans paddled by. Beautiful.
    Looking back…I can laugh now. I must have been quite a sight and we DID get a good workout! OH is now on the computer trying to identify the snake. They all look the same to me. All seem to mention the word “venomous” too! P 🙂

Fellow opsimaths….I returned to university when I was in my forties. I commuted long distances, was still running a household of 6 and managed to top the year in the first exam (philosophy). It was such a brilliant confirmation of my worth, I worked flat out for the next 3 years, achieving high distinctions for virtually every subject. I landed a permanent position at the end (only 5 out of 120 did). You just don’t get that sort of affirmation in normal life. And my parents also said I wouldn’t amount to anything because I had tossed it all in as a 20 year old to marry my darling OH!!! Sadly dad died in my final year and never saw me graduate. 🙁

BTW Happy, you’re dad is SUCH a champion. Pity he and Tim can’t get together!
    Hope you are better tonight, Tim. Must have been a fever if you couldn’t eat. xx P

Hi PVE,

Sorry your Dad didn’t see you graduate, but you know he will have been bursting with pride at your achievement.

Glad you survived the snake! I don’t suppose OH filmed your divining…?!

Only just broken yesterday’s fast, 18 hours later. Courgette and feta bruschetta. Dee-licious. It really does make you appreciate food!

The next challenge is baking cakes and trying not to eat (too much!) raw mix…. wish me luck…

Purple, you catch me on my lunch break and I’m allowing myself a quick peek at the forum. As you can imagine, your snake story scared the bejaysus out of me. How very bravely you dealt with the slithering thing and, as you say, you got a jolly good workout from the incidence. The cheese and wine were well deserved.

You were also incredibly brave to return to higher education with a household of six and a long commute. All I had was hubby mark one and a trip on the tube to central London. I don’t think I could have hacked it otherwise.

Your mention of philosophy, I wanted to read psychology, which was often teamed with philosopy, but my innumeracy got in the way. However, I went for an interview at a college of the uni, where I was interviewed in turn by two academics, both Australian.

The first one was a pleasant and fairly gentle encounter with an older chap. The second one, with a somewhat younger prof, was hilarious. The departmental secretary, whose office was nearby, said she had never heard an interview like it with all the peels of laughter as the prof and I debated whether either could prove to the other that there was a hippopotamus in the corner of his room (didn’t Wittgenstein talk about something similar?) I was offered a place but it later occured to me that if I was going to do what some regarded as “irrelevant” arts degree, I might as well to something I’m good at. So I switched colleges and subject and the rest is history.

It’s a pity your dad didn’t live to see you graduate. Mine was alive and well when I got my degree and while other family members joined in the various celebrations I didn’t even get a “well done” from the old man. In fact, I later learned, after his death, that he didn’t believe I’d ever been to uni, because he had never seen a photo of me in cap and gown.

The reason for that was the modus operandi of London Uni. While within a couple of weeks you got a piece of paper to show to potential employers or academic institutions if you were continuing post-grad, the actual graduation ceremony took place many months later – back then it was 18 months – by which time many graduates, including me, had gone off the boil and didn’t bother. The degree certificate with the uni coat of arms was more meaningful to me. And as I was disinclined to boast, it never occured to me to go and wave it under his nose.

Right, back to my working-class heroes.

Hi Hermaj,

The only reason I attended my graduation ceremonies was for my parents. The pictures of me, looking particularly fetching in gown and mortarboard, and clutching a scroll that wasn’t even my own, still hang in (what is now just) Dad’s house.

Graduation was always high summer, so I was red faced and ‘glowing’ (OK, sweaty!). And Mum and I generally rowed beforehand about my hair – it was waist length and I always always wore it loose but she wanted me to tie it back and kept trying to tuck it behind my ears! Oh, happy days!

Sorry your Dad was such a miserable old b**ger about your (imaginary!) achievements. Like they say, you can choose your friends…!

I attended my graduation the next year to prove to mum I had done it. Pathetic, isn’t it? I know dad would have said “I knew you could do it.” Sadly mum never said anything positive until she was very old and suffering from dementia. Finally stopped criticizing. Very sad. A lesson to all of us. P

This reflects 100% the way I, and probably many others, feel about the parent-child relationship. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rjRYSfCJvM

Philip Larkin also wrote a lot of other very beautiful poetry. He was invited to be Poet Laureate but refused. Maybe he thought he might write something rude, or too honest and upset the other Hermaj at Buck House.

Congratulations, opsimaths, well done all of you. I really admire your determination and discipline. Bay 🙂

Hi Lichtle, thank you for your lovely comment to me. I only just found the post, so sorry for not responding before now. Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi bayleaf thank you. I noted that you said that you lost the weight in three months following fasting AND reduced Carbs. You got me onto something –

Whilst looking around a bit I came across Michael Moseley’s twitter account. I wondered who he was following. Very interesting people indeed. One caught my eye and that was Dr Briffa (a medical doctor) who published the book: “Escape the diet Trap” I checked it out and basically he advocates a very low carb diet (including whole meal) omitting any processed and sugary foods. This is what I used to do (in a moderate form) when I used to eat according to the principles of food combining. Starches were automatically reduced because you only had it in one meal a day and processed food was completely out . I followed this periodically and always lost weight but more importantly I always felt very well doing it and sugar craving did diminish. Unfortunately a birthday party or any excuse to be sociable flung me off the wagon (mainly eating sugar) and I found it hard to jump on again. Meat, nuts, butter, good oils was all encouraged exactly as Dr Briffa advocates – apparently he is still in favour of fasting.

Now I haven’t lost weight for over a month and resigned myself to “maintaining” because I felt I didn’t want to reduce my calories even more. I don’t know if this is in my imagination but I felt that my BMR had dropped and I was fasting two days a week and eating TDEE 1400cals on other days and still stagnating. I started worrying that I could never eat my TDEE for seven days a week ever again. I appreciate that I may not have counted calories correctly all the time (self delusion human error) but then I don’t want to spend the rest of my life counting calories EXACTLY. That would constitute an eating disorder in my eyes.

So (after all this waffle) I am giving this no carb (or very low) no processed food or sugar a go but will continue fasting one or two days a week. However on the non-fasting days I don’t want to COUNT just fill up with healthy food. Thank you for your inspiration Bayleaf.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,501 through 1,550 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.