The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 11,673 total)

• No, Purple, we haven’t all gone to the Moon

You’ll almost certainly be in the Land of Nod right now, but here’s a wee catch-up for you to read when you wake up.

BTW glad to know you are of Scottish descent. Which part of Scotland did your family come from?

You ask about bacon butties. “Butty” is just another word for a sandwich or sarnie, which according to the Oxford Dictionary originates from the North of England. You can spread the slices of bread (or a roll) with butter or margarine or any of the non-saturated fat or cholesterol-lowering spreads available now. Here in the UK we have a product called I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, which also has a low-fat version. It genuinely does taste like butter. I like my butty toasted but it’s also brilliant on freshly-baked bread. Finally, be generous with the vinny.

We also have the chip butty, a sandwich containing some big, fat chips with salt and vinegar or ketchup, which are so ruinously calorific they should be no more than a once or twice a year experience, unless you are one of those lucky people who are thin as a reed but could eat for England, or Australia. It’s quite usual if you have had a meal of traditional fish and chips to save a few nice fat chips until the end, to make a chip butty.

Which prompts me to ask what certain foods are called Down Under, which may be different from what we know them as here. For example, chips.

For us, chips are deep-fried potatoes cut into fairly large but regularly shaped chunks, often associated with fried fish, which you buy at the “chippy”. In the US, chips (or potato chips) are what we call crisps, defined as “a thin slice of potato that has been deep fried or baked until crunchy”. What we call chips, Americans call fries. The name has spread here via MacDonalds and other fast food chains but their fries are much thinner than our chips.

I’d love to know more about some of the dishes eaten in Australia. Do they draw on traditional dishes, from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the many other countries from which people original arrived? I assume also that you have ready access to produce that we hardly ever see and if we do they “cost an arm and a leg”. I once translated a series of 24 cookbooks called Cookery Around the World, but it didn’t include Australia or New Zealand and more’s the pity.

Talking about arms and legs brings me to the lovely Adam Hills, of whom Nicky is also a fan. He often appears here on a comic current affairs panel game called Mock the Week and has been known to remove his prosthetic leg and stand it on the desk at some point in the procedings, usually because a fellow panellist has asked him to.

Like all great stand-ups he is a brilliant storyteller. He tells a true story about having to fly from London the very next day after 9/11. Airport security was naturally very tight and predictably the leg set off all the alarms. But when the security officer realised what was causing the problem he was really, really apologetic – “sorry, mate, I had no idea, Go on through” – without bothering to look closer at the limb, which, as Adam pointed out,could easily have been stuffed with explosives.

Hi PVE,

Sorry, I had to be up and out early today (meetings) so not really time for a natter first thing.

Well I returned the 10s and found the 8s in store (seeing as I was in town). And they do fit! Starting to think I’ve got body dysmorphia, although after so many years ‘chubby’ I guess it will take a while for my brain to start seeing me as I now exist.

Hermaj, I’m now drooling having read your post on bacon and chip butties! Thanks.

On the subject of sourcing different ingredients, I was very jealous when LUVTCOOK mentioned fresh kaffir lime. I guess you probably can source it fresh in the UK, just not round the corner from me. Don’t even know if it’s a tree or shrub, or whether it could grow here…. I can but dream!

Still no word from Auriga… collapsed under a heap of boxes?!

Hi folks.. I do hope Auriga hasn’t been consumed by packing cases hungry after being emptied..

Monday fast day .. did my AM routine and have just suppered on steamed veg and salad.. very very brrrrr up here.. so was very tempted to do my winter fasting veg soup.. Hectic at work … but managed my lunchtime stomp up the hill behind work. Woods damp and very very cool.. air is really really chilly .. apparently snow forecast for the tops by the end of the week..

Mentally tired .. another long day at the office.. early night beckons.. am thinking hot water bottle!!!

Purple: I know you are a big fine of the Zero Noodles. I got a new cookbook by low carb author Karen Carpender. She recommended preparing them by rinsing them well (we always did that), cutting the long ones into more workable lengths (check….always did that), draining well in a seive (check), and then microwaving them for 2 min on HIGH. Drain again, and microwave 1 more min on HIGH.

Have done the fettucine and the spaghetti versions that way and I have to say I think she is on to something. It does cause them to shrink up a tiny bit (give up a bit of their excess water) and makes them a bit more “pasta like”and less slithery. I had not cared for the fettucini type before and have now found them much more to my taste this way. Made a pretty decent faux fettucini alfredo with them yesterday with a small dollop of herbed Alouette cream cheese and a handful of sauteed shrimp/prawns. Fresh parsely on top to gild the lily.

Will give the penne style a go next time I am in the market. Have you tried that? Any suggestions of what to do with it that you have tried and liked ?

Thanks LUVT
    I haven’t tried the microwave steps. I rinse well and toss straight in to the veg or sauce.
    Just back from an early morning trek to the airport through rain and peakhour traffic. Mad. Stopped at a fabulous French bakery to get a naughty breakfast and only ate a couple of bites! Just didn’t appeal. Incredible.
    Off to optometrist again to check eye progress.
    Will reply to others later…they’ll be asleep by now.
    Cheers P

Hermaj & Purple: I too am of Scottish decent on my mother’s side (her mother’s family were Scotts, her dad was Welsh, and my dad’s parents both Irish). What a surprise I can’t tan, only get more freckles in the sun.

When my mother died, she was cremated and my son took some of her ashes with him when he visited Scottland about 10 years ago to leave in Edinburgh. I think she would have been enormously pleased at that.

Hi Iwi,

Sorry to hear work is wearing you out. Long stressful days in the office just aren’t healthy. I console myself with the fact that it’s only another 21 years to retirement for me…!

Just seen some recipe ideas from you on another thread for beans and pulses. I use butter beans in Greek and Tapas style dishes mainly, Liked the idea of using them instead of spuds with herb butter? Are you cooking them and tossing them? Or stewing them?

And Morning everyone else! Think I may aim for an 18hr plus fast today. 16:8 suits me, but it doesn’t really feel like fasting….

Hi Carol,

I’m also a porridge fan, and also cook mine half milk half water. I find I don’t actually like it all milk anymore, it’s almost too creamy for me (even with semi skimmed). I did try it 100% water for fast days, but the oats don’t seem to cook in the same way. Also tried almond milk, same disappointing result. Not sure if it’s just the brand of oats though?

I don’t know about you but, growing up, porridge was something that then had sugar liberally sprinkled, or golden syrup poured, and some of the family even drown it in double cream. I’ve finally refound my taste buds and discovered that I like the unadulterated taste of oats though!

Morning early western hemisphere risers.
    Couldn’t you sleep, Happy? Told you so re the size 8. I’m sure you look gorgeous. 🙂

I’m on the computer looking up recipes.
    Just mixed a marinade of oil, lemon juice, garlic, chilli, p& s, oregano leaves and parsley. Pulsed together and poured over pieces of king fish fillets to marinate. Will bbq tonight and serve on wilted bok choy for a light dinner.
    Looking up lemon syrup cakes for desert as I have a heap of lemons to use. Light mains, rich dessert. That’ll keep ’em happy.

Hermaj, my Scots relatives are from near Skye, Inverness and Glasgow as well as near Falkirk. I also have Lancashire blood.
    As to food. I grew up in the 50s and 60s in Australia being fed the standard food mum learnt from her English mum. Lamb chops, grilled (it was very cheap in Aust then) mashed potatoes, peas and carrot. Roast beef for Sunday lunch. Dinner was called “tea” and dessert was called “pudding” even if it wasn’t one. We had lemon puddings, rice custards, chocolate sauce puddings, stewed fruit with custard. Bbqs were a lump of meat dad would burn while mum made very basic salads. Apple pie was popular afterwards. Tomato or Worcestershire sauce were the only condiments. (We don’t use ketchup…good old tomato sauce on anything!)
    “Chips” applies to any form of potato thing…hot, French or crisps. Being a small population we are exposed to particularly Americanisms and English expressions, so we recognise them all. My generation chooses to stick to the more traditional terms. The kids have moved on.
    I am a stickler for calling all baked round or square, savoury or sweet biscuits, biscuits. I hate the word “crackers” and detest “cookie”!
    Our classic biscuit, the ANZAC biscuit (developed during the Gallipoli campaign in WW1 as something that would travel well), are often now marketed as Anzac cookies! UURRRGGGHHHH! (ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps)
    We have a few regional differences in language as Bay has alluded to. What you wear in the pool can be a swimming costume, swimmers, cossies, togs, costume…possibly more. Here in Sydney scallops were always large discs of potato. When we went to Melbourne on our honeymoon and ordered 20 scallops we were horrified at the cost! Of course they were the shellfish. (We pronounce them “Scollops”. We also pronounce the fish bream “Brim”) Don’t you love all the differences in English? (As Homer Simpson said “I don’t know why I’d want to learn English….I’m not going there!” 🙂
    In Aus we readily understand that footpath, pavement and sidewalk are all the same. My English cousin loves the way we call lorries “semi-trailers” and he has a fetish about the use of “street, road” etc. And on it goes.
    Gotta go. Very tired eyes.
    Cheers to you all and love to Sylvia under the boxes 😉 P

Just read your porridge discussion, Happy. I use 30 gms proper rolled oats, not instant, in a very small saucepan with a fair bit of water. I stir for most of the cooking time (vigorously, and anti clockwise). It takes about 3-4 minutes on the cooktop. Smooth, creamy. Add more water if it appears too dry. Cook longer if it is too wet. Dead simple. Serve slightly runny, it tends to set, with blueberries. Nothing else.
    My husband used to believe you only ate porridge as a vehicle to consume as much brown sugar as you could, with enough milk to let it swim. Oh, how far we’ve come. I also love the taste of unadulterated oats now. P

Hi PVE.

I’ll try the stove top method. They are proper rolled oats, not instant, but I do tend to use the microwave for porridge for one. They’re chunky (no good for flapjack), and I wonder if that makes a difference in how they respond to water/milk.

Yep, brown sugar and water. Remember that! Over fairly thick/ set porridge…

I make Anzac biscuits. Simple but good. They don’t tend to get the chance to travel very far!

Awake normal time, half 6ish, just not rushing out this morning.

Re: what we grew up eating… Thank God for other cultures and their cuisine!

Happy eye resting!

PVE.

It was breakfast, dinner, tea and supper in our house.

Supper being a bowl of cereals before bedtime…! Hmm, I wonder where our excess weight came from?!

And my stomach is now rumbling at all your talk of food. The time difference is a challenge to fasting.

Oooooo…sorry Happy Doc 😉
    An experienced faster like you can cope.
    We seem to have given up breakfast and only eat lunch randomly. Mainly do dinner now.
    With the guests, it is best to avoid breakfast, send them out during the day and have a healthy dinner ready. We are still both staggered how long we go, even on normal days like today, without food or any snack. Embarrassing how much we used to eat and thought we’d starve without!
    When you have achieved this much in terms of health, it is just a simple way of life.
    It also makes days much more flexible, not being constrained by mealtimes.
    Sorry it will be SO long until you retire Happy. As many retired folk say, I don’t know how I had time to work! Have a productive, peaceful day at work Happy and iwi. 🙂 P

Happynow, oh now you have done it, wonderful memories of cream and golden syrup on porridge soaked Onight. I am using traditional Barley and Oats, 1/2 cup raw with3/4 cup light soy and100g of blueberries. Comes out as 240 Cals and 10 Protein and if I need to warm it up, cold morning, shove it in the MW for 90 secs. Being a breakfast kind of guy, I tried 16:8 for 4 FDs but really missed my Oats! and had them yesterday and missed lunch which seems to suit my life style. I notice Mimi and the Dr go for the 12 hour fast.

My mother was a KNOX and the family can trace their ancestry directly back to John Knox. The family was very Presbyterian.

As tomorrow is my weekly shopping day it will be interesting to see if I weaken and come home with the ” Cream and Golden Syrup “.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hello all, fellow maintainer back after a very busy few weeks – I haven’t had time to read the entire thread, but I notice there is discussion about porridge going on – thought I would share this morning’s breakfast with you: made with water, milk and coconut milk, with a spoonful of flaxseed and a handful of raspberries, and cream on top!! Obvs not a fast day today!
    I have been maintaining a range between 8st 9 and 8st 12 (roughly) since around June. I have had to continue doing 2 fast days each week, but they are slightly more relaxed, as in I just have one carb-free meal in the evening (nothing too calorific) but with more fat, which makes everything that much more palatable – and I have been having one or two cups of coffee with cream in, so i don’t feel too deprived. I don’t generally feel hungry at all, until AFTER my evening meal!

G’day Star
    My OH agrees with you. This is a WOL. When we get to maintenance we don’t need to count calories and can fiddle with the system. He “fasted” today as an extra (unbeknown to me). No food until dinner….fish and bok choy AND a glass of wine and lemon syrup dessert. I’d call it a “sort of” fast. But he, who cured his diabetes through this, knows his blood sugar will stay stable eating like this. Fantastic! P 🙂

Hi HappyNow, yes I remember when I was young my dad would pour Golden Syrup over his porridge and sprinkle with brown sugar! Yuk! Yes, the cooking of porridge is a bit of a science really. When the grand kids come I do it on the stove which I swear makes a creamier consistency than the way I do it for myself which is in the microwave. I find it a little bitter if I cook in only water so still add some milk. Love my porridge though, summer or winter. Brought a smile to my face reading PVE’s description of food and terminology we use here in Australia. I am on holiday in Canada currently and they have no idea what I’m talking about most of the time ha ha

Hiya folks…

Happy .. re butter beans .. I buy all my pulses dried.. so they need boiled to varying degress Butter beans can be dressed with some cold pressed / flavoured oil and seasoning or a herb butter..

On the topic of spuds.. honestly I am of the opinion that the modern varieties are as evil as the modern wheat variety..

On porridge my version goes like this.. a handful of rolled oats and similar weight of oatbran just covered with water and brought quickly to the boil.. I don’t like well cooked porridge.. just before taking off the heat add pinch of salt.. (this is a grand porridge masters tip to only add the salt at the end of the cooking process) .. add in berries of choice, date syrup, raw cocoa nibs and linseed (flax to anyone outside the UK 😉 ).. yummy… I had a friend at school whose family porridge tradition was to cook as above without adding the salt then adding salted butter ontop.. I guess it would be a bit like adding salt and cream.. but I’ve never tried that one..

Today I had a successful 18/6 day.. and a lunchtime run 😀

Hi MCs
    Carol, I feel for you. Did you take your vegemite with you? 😉

IWB, I am introducing more and more pulses into our food. OH, if asked, would be horrified….but what he doesn’t notice will do him good.

Gosh Tim, how many of we ex-pat Scots are there on this forum? My mob were Pressys too.

And how did our poor young, hardworking MCs (Happy and iwb) go at work today? Hope I didn’t kill your fasting with food talk, H. 🙁 Glad you know ANZAC biscuits. They are great for making with kids too.The gluten free lemon syrup cake, served with yoghurt went down a treat. On the tart side, but tasted as if it was good for us!

hermaj, you can use any firm white fish for the marinated fish recipe. It was pouring rain, so I grilled it on foil, 5 mins each side, rather than bbq. Even my diehard OH refused to cook outside, even for guests. Darling boy.

We have decided to take some of our visitors for a bit of a trip out bush. Therefore, I am now running round like a headless chook (been awake half the night planning) getting ready. Will head off in the weekend and might not have internet access. We plan to fast all day, eat salad and fish, no alcohol two days. We will skip breakfast, fruit for lunch and totally overindulge for dinner on 5. Sounds like a plan, eh?

Be kind to yourselves and each other. P xx

Hi All,

Well it’s been the ‘I love porridge (in many and various ways)’ thread today! Some more decadent than others…

Tim, did you give in to golden syrup?!

Anyway, despite salivating early over the thought of oats…, I too managed an 18:6 today, and an after work run. I try and find excuses not to go but OH pushes me out!

StraR, nice work on the relaxed maintenance!

Off to bed now. Take care all. Happy fasting/ maintaining!

One last thing Happy Doc…
    Now that I’m forced to share the downstairs bathroom with my OH (no, he doesn’t push me out!), I can see more of the toast racks and pancakes in the lower mirror. I giggle and think of you every time! Thanks for the image mate! P xx Sleep well.

Happynow, you temptress you, went down the isle and thought about it and said NO. This was because tomorrow I am having my 35th Scc/Bcc cut out. The surgery is almost next door to the only decent Patisserie here which I thought I would visit to console myself afterwards! Those and 5 Melanomas were due to working on a coral airstrip in Madang PNG in the middle of last century as a 20 year old.

Others have mentioned it but this week for the first time I had a substantial drop in my food cost,
    partly due to the items I have needed to stock up on now being in the pantry and of course buying small quantities such as only a half wheel of Brie rather than the whole:-)

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear about your skin *nomas. Do they just keep appearing or are they present already and under observation? How long were you in PNG?

Liking the willpower/thought process on the timing of the ‘treat’. I’m a lot more able now to make that sort of reasoned choice about when I’m going to indulge.

I’m guessing you like cheese….?! It’s one of my weaknesses, and I’ll hold my hand up to being a secret cheese eater from the fridge! Not a fan of strong goats cheese but other than that I think I like it all.

PVE. When you say ‘lower mirror’, is this just the mirror in the d/s bathroom (harshly lit)? Or is it some sort of low level mirror, in which you can see your toastrack only when touching your toes or hunched on the floor?!

Like the sound of your trip. When you say ‘we will fast all day’, is this just you and OH or the whole group (are they fasters)? I have an image of you taking your unsuspecting friends into the bush for a fasting bootcamp!

My.weekend is likely to be spent cooking food I don’t really want to eat! The MIL is coming and is very traditional foodwise…. it’s not a meal without meat and gravy…

Anyway, following the porridge talk, there’s only one thing to break fast with today!

Have a good day/ night all.

Mmmm..Happy..fasting bootcamp in the bush! No just OH and I fasting. Although we have one other faster, but she keeps doing it on different days!
    The mirror in my bathroom is up high, so can only see face and shoulders. The one downstairs shows down to the bottom;) SO much more evidence of weight loss. And you can see yourself in the mirror from the shower. More skin and bone than a nursing home (old people’s joint!) Better than the fatty layers that used to confront me.
    Tonight’s meal was a very dull slow cooked beef and veg casserole. Not up to my usual standard, but gobbled up by all. I miss having a large family around to devour whatever I cook. We two eat such different foods (he is gf and isn’t at all keen on many veg) that I often make two separate meals.
    Rain has stopped, so we should have a good adventure. Will report in when I can. (Have snuck away now to check on the latest FD gos.)
    Cheers all our mighty MCs. P xx

Hi HappyNow, our posting was for 2 years, if one didn’t go tropo and get sent south early:-) I was forever known in the company as B A. Madang,failed! There were all told only 75 Expats there. It had a sapping almost 90% humidity being on the coast.. As there where no roads in PNG at that time everything had to be flown inland and up to the Highlands. So when we had no A/C around we would have our uniform shirts off hence all the skin problems. The Scc/Bccs just keep appearing, a head to toe every 3 months picks them up. The Ms were a worry but caught early.

PVE mentioned in a recent post that there was an Anglo/Celtic skin connection to sun cancer which I didn’t know about but Goggled it to find the background.

Afraid I like strong cheeses i.e. washedrine and a Camembert thats ” High ” and galloping across the plate. Bought some OZ feta today which was NTB. Years ago,25+, there was a malaise when one moved to the country called deli withdrawal because the only cheese available was Kraft Velvetta and a tasteless cheddar.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hi Happy,

I’ve yet to view Michael’s documentary about eating meat, but I’ve got it on my iPlayer. Reading reviews of the programme, it seems that one of his findings was that bacon is very, very bad for us. 🙁 Each serving of bacon takes an hour off your life. Not good news for the bacon butty. However, if it’s only a once-a-week or an even less frequent treat, I don’t mind losing an hour or two. 🙂

Hi Purple,

You seem to have, or have had, relatives all over Scotland, and I see LOVTCOOK also has Scottish as well as English ancestors. I won’t go off on my usual thing about much I like the Scots, suffice to say, yeah, great people.

I enjoyed reading your memories of meals prepared by your mum who was of English descent. It all sounds very familiar. I wonder if your mum dished up mega-helpings. I swear that’s where my weight probably began. Good homecooked food which would have been healthy if the portions hadn’t been so ginormous.

And those puds! Funnily enough, even posh Brits now refer to dessert as pud, even if it’s just fresh fruit. My would-be upwardly-mobile parents got very angry if either of us kids ever called it “afters”. According to them, it was “second course”, little realising that for the really posh with their multi-course meals “afters” would probably be more like the fourth course.

I shall probably be banned from the forum for the following but I couldn’t resist it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/old_fashioned_puddings. For very special occasions only or when you have enough guests to eat most of it before you get a look-in. Or maybe make a smaller quantity, just for you.

Yes, we also call it tomato sauce, it’s just that some brands call their product ketchup. As a kid, I was banned from using Worcester Sauce which I loved and still do, as the parents considered that it made me bad tempered. They were no doubt thinking about the myth of peppery old British colonels who had served in India and eaten lots of curry which had made them, well, peppery.

Did you have dressings on salads? As a kid I hated salad and I hated even more the apology for mayo known as Heinz Salad Cream. It wasn’t until I was au pairing in France in my early 20s that I learnt to dress a salad with olive oil and wine vinegar, or got to eat French mayo. Later I cottoned on to Hellmann’s which, especially in the reduced-fat version, is now my default mayo. Attempts to make my own have usually turned into very messy failures.

I knew about ANZAC and about Gallipoli, but nothing about ANZAC biscuits. They sound useful. What are they like? We do use the word “crackers” or “cream-crackers” for some go-with-cheese biscuits. In fact in Cockney rhyming slang we say “I’m right cream-crackered” i.e. knackered, i.e. very tired. “Cookies” is reserved for cakes which some naughty people – I confess to having been one – used to make back in the hippy era containing naughty substances, namely hash cookies. Happy days!

One of the joys of the forum is how we can learn about the differences between our respective versions of English across the globe. Long may it continue.

Hi Hermaj,

I watched it! Another nail in the coffin for processed food!

I do eat meat, not every day though, and often now will make us a meal and cook some meat just for OH. I’m also finding that when I do eat meat a much smaller serving will suffice.

Increasingly it’s the vegetarian part of eating that appeals, although I won’t phase out meat completely.

But life is for living. What would the weekend be without a bacon buttie? Yep, that’s right, a bacon-free weekend. And my life would be impoverished for it…..

Hi again Hermaj,

It was always ‘what’s for after?’ in our house!

On the subject of overeating…. did you suffer the munchies from your hash cookies? You can’t blame your Mum for that…!

With you on salad cream, can’t abide it now! Back in the day, mayo was considered well posh though!

Hi Happy,

I could quite easily go veggie, or at least pescatarian. In fact if my husband is away I’ll eat either veggie or fish. However, I could not give up bacon entirely. I’ve known lots of vegetarians who allowed themselves occasionally to fall of the wagon for a nice helping of bacon, in a butty or otherwise. And if I’m unwell and not wanting to eat, the one thing I might be able to handle is a bacon butty. How weird is that?

As for being fed by mum, she used to complain that I wouldn’t eat bread. If she meant bread rather than more expensive stuff, e.g. meat, she would have had a point, but she meant IN ADDITION to the rest. Fortunately, I didn’t listen.

Hash cookies, I found, were hash and munchies rolled into one, with no need for anything else except tea of one sort or another. Naughties otherwise consumed certainly did give me and my pals the munchies, but we were very consciencious about what we chose to munch.

A favourite was fantastic artesan bread from our very good healthfood shop, which happily still survives, spread with lashings of miso, which we would sit there chomping with silly grins on our faces listening to Pink Floyd, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Jackson Brown et al. Out of our boxes but eating “healthily”! Neil Young singing “After the Gold Rush” still brings it all back.

Despite the munchies, I think around that time I was a lot closer to ideal weight, well-rounded but not fat.

I realised I hadn’t actually downloaded Michael’s documentary, which I’m doing right now. Along the bottom of the page from which I’m downloading it there are some back numbers of Horizon, including one called Vanished, dating from 2000-2001, about a British passenger plane that disappeared in the Andes in 1947. I did all the Spanish transcription and translation for the programme. All of it was fascinating and soe of it very moving. Sadly though, to make it fit the time slot, they cut out some of the most interesting bits. That’s show business!

Hi Hermaj,

Interesting the point you make about what was cut out for the Horizon programme you worked on. I have to keep reminding myself that you don’t get the whole story on telly or in the news. You get what someone else wants you to know.

Tonight I showed OH what a 70g portion of lamb kofta would look like, and said that was his daily ration (MM says so…). He went pale and blubbed ‘but I only had a cheese sandwich for lunch!’ He may rethink wanting more meat of course following the second Horizon programme on eating meat and the environmental damage it does!

Tim,

Sounds like you’ve had an interesting life and lucky to see places before they’ve been trashed by humans. Living on a small island, with too many people and cars, I dream of the land pre-roads. Think I was probably born in the wrong century….

And I’m with you on strong cheese, unless it’s very goaty! We stock a wide selection of cheeses though including extra mature cheddar, old Amsterdam (gouda), jarlsberg, parmesan, feta, halloumi, Lancashire/ Wensleydale, gruyere, and cream cheese (good on toast with a poached egg, marmite optional). Stilton tends to be special occasions only….

Hi folks..

I missed the meat Horizon programme.. I just find it all a bit of construct when people start talking about so and so ingredient / food adds or subtracts time to your supposed life… I really don’t know how they arrive at these calculations but to be honest I don’t find them helpful or informative..

I do try and stay clear of processed food… but what process is or isn’t ok is again a bit difficult to define.. after all cooking is processing.. so is mincing.. so how does smoked fish figure ??????

Had a hard two days … long stamina sapping ones… had a bit of a lapse at 3pm today and scoffed some left over naff sandwiches and even haffer biscuits.. Came home and decided I needed something a bit substanstial… so Veni steak, roasted beet and a mix of leaves and steamed veg.. now feeling a WHOLE lot better..

AS for hash brownies mmmm well they would be the fasters nightmare really wouldn’t they… a double whammy of hash and wheaty empty carby carb driving cake…. 😉 Should we all start blamming the dope for our loss of our svelt selves… lol Take care everyone… Still no Auriga.. do really hope she has survived her move….

Hi Iwi,

The environmental impact of meat production scares me more than the effect on my longevity of my weekly bacon buttie! If the programme gets people eating a bit less red meat though, for whatever reason, it can only be a good thing.

Went for a run this morning before work and managed not to get wet. Although I’m awake quite early, I’m not really a morning person so don’t think I’ll be making a habit of early exercise!

Sounds like you’re having quite a lot of long tough days lately. Not surprised you needed food. What are haffer biscuits?

Yes, I’ve been thinking about Auriga too and hoping she’s OK and comes back soon.

Elaine’s a bit quiet also, but all that lying around in Greece has probably sapped her strength to the point where she can’t physically type……!

Just been for a long walk with OH.The Fitbit is really getting him going!
    We eat so much less meat now. OH thinks the smoking of fish is not nearly as bad as processing foods.
    Happy days P 🙂

Hi PVE.

Re: the fitbit and OH….. it’s a gadget I guess!

Well if OH says smoking is less harmful than other processes, that’s good enough for me! I prefer smoked trout to salmon, but am partial to both!

No ‘exercise’ for me today, got a training course then a frantic dash round the house before MIL arrives…

Interestingly this week I have dropped back to my lowest weight (58.5) despite eating more (including another slice of pecan pie from the freezer!).

PVE, I think you mentioned that your weight continues to drop slowly while ostensibly maintaining?

Yes Happy
    My lowest has been 58.2 without trying.
    The no breakfast thing is working really well with visitors. Evening now. Glass of red, roaring fire. Good stuff. OH has brought out the biscuits and cheese! Ah well

Hi everyone posted this on the SH forum and wanted to share it with you too.

A old woman was sipping on a glass of wine, while sitting on the patio with her husband, and she says ” I love you so much. I don’t know how I could ever live without you “…….Her husband asks,
    ” is that you or the wine talking? “….She replies, ” its me…talking to wine. ”

Have a good weekend.
    Cheers,
    Tim.

What a beauty Tim

Stupid website. Keeps putting up only half I write!
    Have a good weekend MCs. P

HappyNow and PVE your continued weight loss is very inspiring! I don’t have scales here on holiday with me. Last week I am absolutely sure I lost more weight (just the feel of clothes). Then it was a big weekend away! Just finished my second fast day for this week but don’t feel any different. I don’t want to start beating myself up though, because to come away on holidays for 6 weeks and not gain any weight is more than I could have hoped for! Glad I’m missing out on some of that cold weather PVE, it has been so warm here

Happy … Yes quite agree re the environmental impact of meat production.. HOWEVER.. consider dairy too… as there is just as much “damage” from the diary production… that’s my personal stance.. the grass / fodder is HIGHLY fertilised and very very un-natural (good beef on the other hand does better on less rich fodder).. Just as many drugs are used in diary production if not more.. for this reason I try and buy organic milk as it least it has less impact on the environment.. To be honest I think meat production in the UK is probably at the lesser end of negative environmental impact scale than for example the Americas (either US or S America). I would also suspect that sheep production is a whole lot more sustainable than intensive beef.. but might not be that much different from the high quality beef produced extensively.

Venison of course (proper wild stuff not the NZ farmed stuff) really the only impact is the extraction of the carcass.

It also is rather useless to talk about meat production in isolation.. it needs to be compared to for instance fish.. whether farmed or wild .. and if you consider the farmed then there is again a scale of impact from less to more depending on the nature of the farming methods..

And then there is grain production… sorry on a rant now… look at all those emense fields with no hedges… they are the desertificaton of the countryside… Rant over..

so onto the good bit.. BIG BIG grin … after monster week .. I went for my lunchtime run today and managed to get to the top of my hill in a oner.. no walking at all… I was aiming to get to this point by the end of August .. it just goes to show that you don’t have to work out for hours and hours on end or run every day.. (I run at most twice a week) to improve your fitness.. so I am very very chuffed with myself as I needed to prove this theory to myself as much as convince anyone else.

So have a fab weekend everyone.. enjoy your hols Carolann 😀 … I’m off to scoff chocolate 😉

Hi MCs
    Carol, we have whipped our visitors off for some quality time in the Clare Valley. Wine tasting can’t be bad for you can it?
    Phone reception is rubbish but at least it is fine and our cottage has plenty of wood. Cheers to all…P

Ps. Happy, the Fit it is recording OH’s movement. Did 17500 steps yesterday. Makes up for the wine and food!

Whoops! That last message was meant to have a smiley face! Obviously they don’t work on here! 🙂

Where to start!

Tim, you put a smile on my face! I’m teetotal Sun – Thurs (giving my liver a rest!), but most nights think about the wine I’ll drink on Friday…. !

Carol, I know I’d find a prolonged holiday challenging. I well remember a holiday in Canada about 20 years ago. We were there 3 weeks and I gained maybe half a stone (i went up a size!). Hopefully 5:2 has given you the tools for weight maintenance/ damage limitation!

Iwi, I could join you in the rant on intensive agriculture. Unfortunately global population/ policy drivers means there’s no going back.

PVE. Sounds like you’re moving plenty and enjoying life. Roll on retirement….!

Only 21 years. Happy 😉

G’day all,

I’ve managed to get hold of a laptop(OH and others watching rugby…go Wallabies) Typing on the phone has been driving me crazy!

Another night in front of the fire in our little cottage…salt bush lamb stew tonight..of course, accompanied by good Clare Valley red. 🙂

We discovered the joys of an “instant picnic” of smoked trout wrapped in a large lettuce leaf. Very quick, no washing up and loved by all. The non fasters didn’t realise it was a fast meal! Very sneaky.

I’m getting worried about Auriga/Sylvia and Elaine. I know Bay is having a rest and saw her on another thread adding her wisdom. We need our regulars to keep up the experienced chatter. Happy can’t do it all (although iwb and carol are doing well, and you too Timmy- especially with the joke 🙂 ) Where is Dave and hermaj, Nicky and ILTC?

I hope the lack of talk means they are too busy enjoying life. We are having a fabulous weekend in the wine country of South Australia. So many wonderful places to go. Apparently NZ are beating us by the sighs from the tv room. Need to refill the glass…..

Cheers happy MCs. P xx

G’day Purple,

No, I haven’t gone walkabout, and hopefully the others haven’t either.

I sent you a nice long one on the 20th in reply to your very interesting post about food and language Down Under. Maybe your phone couldn’t quite handle it. I admire you for even trying to communicate via phone. Without a keyboard I’m nowhere. 🙁

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. This is my last w/e doing nothing in particular before getting down to the serious business of writing the dreaded dissertation. I’ve already signed off the day job until the end of September.

Enjoy your weekend. Hermaj P

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.