Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,051 through 2,100 (of 16,657 total)

• @samm please to “meet” you too 🙂 and I’m in for the long term. Here’s what I have done so far:

On fast days I have a really light lunch (188cals) and have the rest for dinner at night (well total yesterday was 510cals but I figure it’s just about there and was mainly veg).

On non-fast days I also only have lunch and dinner, just different amounts or types of food, trying to keeping the balance between proteins, carbs, starches and fats (here I must tell you that portion control has been my hardest to do as I’ve had absolutely no idea what it should be so have researched and now I’ve got at least some idea and it really is enough for me)

I’m planning on weighing in once a week but also measuring with a tape measure various parts. So if the scales don’t go down, maybe the tape measure will so that is just as good for me.

Thanks for your thoughts and tips too btw 🙂

Good morning Jojo (it’s Sunday morning here just now, quite early still at 7:18 which is why I haven’t gone out yet). It’s sad to hear about your daughter being burnt out by unrealistic requirements. Here in Aus I’ve heard from teacher friends of mine that it’s all about ticking the right boxes and keeping the bean counters happy … so many “bums on seats” = so many $’s and other benefits and not really about teaching (unless it’s to get students ‘over the line’ with the annual testing). Neighbours across the road send/sent their children to Montessori and loved it for them, helps the children immensely, not sure how it affects teachers though.

Be back later, hoping everyone has a lovely day/night 🙂

Hi Smiffy
    Welcome back! Glad you’re fasting when you go to Wales. I have mixed success when on holidays. Provided I can easily access lovely fresh fruit and vegetables and fish, I’m fine. However, when faced with the dread processed carbs, I find it harder to resist. Still the best part is coming home and fasting, and losing the new weight in the first week.
    Can you repost the first part of your previous post, with its helpful suggestions.
    Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi AussieOma

Welcome to your new WOL = way of life. Glad you’re measuring yourself. During my weight loss journey, I found the most satisfying aspect of 5:2 has been the re shaping of my body and the health aspects. My doc has reduced my BP meds by a third and I have lots more energy.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Aussie Oma,
    My daughter is a Montessori teacher, I am a retired Montessori teacher. It is our principle to ‘never’ work at home, thereby providing the children with a happy healthy teacher. Our equipment and environment replace planning and there is no curriculum or individual targets. Each child chooses to follow their own interests and teachers present interesting equipment and group lessons. Each child progresses at a rate and method appropriate to themselves. Teachers observe and record and from their observations present equipment and information suitable to their next step. Lesson plans are based on equipment and projects with aims cross referenced. All lessons cater for most and least able child in a step by step process. Therefore no stress for child or teacher. It’s wonderful and it works. When she has completed this year in primary teaching she will return to Montessori teaching, in New Zealand.

Just watching X factor, there are some great female vocalists this year.

Back to planning my menu for this week.

Goodnight all

Hi Bayleaf

How nice to hear from you. I’m not sure it was particularly helpful -just my usual ramblings, but here it is. Have a good day.

Amazon – since my post I have read that Callanetics are indeed having a re-surge in popularity. Proud to say we were there first!

Hi all

Amazon – I have just spent a very nostalgic half hour reading up on Callanetics, and have ordered the DVD. Thanks for reminding me about it. It’s very sad that Callan Pinckney has passed away. I first saw here on the Terry Wogan show when she was in the UK teaching Fergie and promoting her first video. She only had to mention that I could end up with a bottom like a ripe peach’ and I was sold! I have since developed a bad back, which I have to say has vastly improved since losing weight but I have to be careful, and hopefully, like you, these exercises will help. Thin thighs here I come!

Hi Hermaj – I had to smile at your Gestapo-led slimming club! I’m sure they met your match in you!
    Good luck with the dissertating – your subject matter sounds fascinating.

Regarding fasting on holiday, on any ‘normal’ holiday I certainly wouldn’t be worrying, but with the amount of time we are spending in Wales, it’s a necessity, otherwise I would be back where I started! Luckily I’m not finding it too difficult to slot in a couple of days here and there. I’m sure you will be fine Jojo – you know what you’re doing. And bearing in mind the kind of holiday you will be on, I’m sure they will be catering very healthily indeed.

Hello Aussie Oma and welcome to this thread. The best advice I can give is if you haven’t read the book, then please do. Also read back at some of the earlier posts on this thread. There is also a recipe thread posted by 5.2-ers, and some good websites and apps with 5.2 recipes. My particular favourite is the Woman 5.2 Diet Meal Planner. It costs a couple of quid but well worth it in my mind. Also there are some good recipes to be found on the BBC Good Food site, if that is available to you.

Smiffy x

A while back I posted a bunch of calorie restriction Ideas. CRON calorie restriction optimal nutrition.
    Here’s a link that just about covers all info I might try to communicate. But they have references.
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/crondiet.html

However as much as I tried I just could do it for about a month, unsupported , and don’t even know about CRON forums but sure they are out there. Where I started was after a diet I was on helped lose 15lbs . I posted on Facebook and an old friend told me to eat only once per day. He was thin all his life so I looked into it. Nearest I could find was CRON. However most nutrition recommendations say that eating all calories in 1 sitting has draw backs. I’m betting all calories on the 5:2 in one sitting have the same issues?

What I discovered was a paper stating research that indicates eating in 4 1/2 hours and no less.
    So 4.5/19.5 daily. Similar to eating in 8 hour window. But abstaining from I take for 16 hours.
    What I believe in is 4.5/19.5 eating all calories in the 4.5 hour window. When I apply this to daily life.
    It looks like eating at 12:30 pm lunchtime. And dinner at 5pm . Ill add that drinking health drinks like vitamin water, green tea, and dandelion tea. Help with the hunger pangs.

When I learned about 5:2. The doable diet. It was like a final peice of the light bulb fell into place and my light turned on. I could have fast days and feed days in the same 4 1/2 window. As i looked this further. I am extremely curious about the natural DNA repair mode all mammals have. The more I looked at the less 5:2 was fully engaging this mode. But very close. Nor was my 4 1/2 window. But as for me it’s the limit on I find doable. Recently I put it together as a 12 day ADF.
    after 12 days I typically lose 3 lbs.
    And I’m currently trying to find a way use 6:1 to maintain the other 18 days . I’m trying to find the edge of what’s comfortably doable. Yet the benefit is not just weight loss. See Im not comfortable going ADF. For life .
    So I’m on ADF on Monday’s, Wednesdays, Fridays. For two weeks.
    Then on CRAN on Monday’s, Wednesdays, Fridays for about two weeks. Observing 4.5/19.5 TDEE all other days.

The other factor for my longevity plan is exercise and or DHA intake.

When I put all this into a menu it’s really not complicated at all.

This of course leaves lots of room for life’s deliciousnesses. I don’t buy the junk foods anymore, but when others want to share their cookies , pies, and pizzas. I happy with myself and the direction I trying to go.

Jojo that sounds like a wonderful style of teaching/learning. As I said I’ve had no experience with this style of teaching but I can only say the children across the road benefitted from it while they went there (I think it was only available for kindy nearby here so not for primary schooling as the older one has now gone to the same school as my grandsons).

SAMM thanks I’ll look into things (don’t want to overload or over think things so will review later 🙂 )

Hi Smiffy, yep will read it, only can say I researcheded and researcheded until I found this and thought WOW, Yes, I can DO this! Further reading will occur but as I said to SAMM it will need to be a little later otherwise I’ll over think stuff and muck up!

Hi Bayleafoz, yep measurements are often more important than the scales. Having said that even my OH commented that the “bra bulges” are (almost) non-existant today. That to me says more than anything as I’d usually have to lose quite a few kg’s to get that effect (using same bra and setting), I have noticed that I don’t have to stretch to hook up this past 2 days.

OH has gone to get a tyre fixed (nail puncture) and will be calling past our local (I say local but it’s 12km away) Foodland and picking up some chicken fillets or kebabs for dinner tonight. I said he could choose if they were marinated or not, if not he could choose a marinate if he wanted (as we’d run out a couple of weeks ago) but happy if he doesn’t too. He’s also joined me on this journey and will be on maintenance very quickly as he doesn’t have many kg’s or cm to lose (and he’s already noticing in his trouser fit the change which he was amazed with as he’s only been doing it since Thursday).

Okay, enough of a novel from me for now … next chapter another time, lol 🙂

Hi Aussie Oma – it looks as if you have things well in control. Good luck. It certainly helps if OH is doing it with you, as mine is, but isn’t it galling that men can lose weight so much faster than women by eating so much more?! I know what you mean about the bra overhang. Mine was truly revolting. Only 2 of my dozen or so bras were anywhere near comfortable, and they were definitely more utility than feminine. I flatly refused to buy a bigger cup size! It’s a wonderful feeling when it all starts to fit properly again.

SAMM – that looks like an interesting link and I intend to look at it in more detail later.

Right now I’ve got a veg garden to tidy up and pots to deadhead. It has been fantastic how this summer has just gone on and on. We’re away to Wales again tomorrow for the week, so want to leave it looking half decent for our neighbours to keep an eye on.

Amazon – hopefully my DVD will be waiting for me when I get back. Can’t wait to get started. In the meantime I may look out the old VHS copy which I know is in a box somewhere in the garage in Wales along, I think, with an old video player, so may get started sooner. I’m really feeling motivated – just hope I can still do it!

Have a good one all

Smiffy x

Ps Aussie Oma – how funny – I’ve just read your post on another thread and see you breed GSDs. We have 2, a brother and sister which are 18 months old, from a litter we whelped for a friend and they are gorgeous.I could go on all day about the problems of having them from the same litter but we have tried to do all the right things by feeding/sleeping/training separately, especially for the first year, and so far it has been successful. Oh – and another coincidence – we share the same Christian name!!

YAY Smiffy,
    It’s strange how things work isn’t it re names etc, lol.

Yes it IS galling that most men can lose weight without really any effort at all (my OH has already started losing cm’s … but then so have I this time YAY me 🙂 ). We’ve been breeding/showing off and on since the late ’70s early ’80s. We stopped for a number of years while bringing our boys up as OH was often working away and boys had sports or other extra curricula activities on weekends and practice during the week and of course they didn’t do the same sport or even have it in the same area!! Thank goodness I’ve always driven 🙂 . We currently have 6 with 2 currently in whelp, one, BB, is desexed now due to hormonal cancers, she is 9 1/2, the next eldest, Emmy, has just turned 9 so she is also in retirement, then Lina at 7 is in whelp with her last litter and will next year be retired from the show ring, Lusi is having her 2nd litter at 5 but doesn’t like the show ring, Mia is 3 and will have a litter later and Rosie is 7 months way, WAY to young for litters but is loving the show ring.

Took part in the Sydney leg of the International Climate Action rallies today.
    Come on UK and US 5:2ers, stand up and be counted! Go to your local rally. We need a healthy world as well as healthy bodies. Happy Spring/Autumn Equinox all. PVE 🙂

Morning all.

It’s beautiful out there, clear blue sky and sunshine. I slept badly last night and ended up watching TV for a couple of hours, then slept until 9.
    One more cup of tea then it’s time to don the exercise gear and get moving.
    Have a good day everyone.

My exercise tonight was herding the two lambs into their pen … we’ve only got two and during the day they’re in 2 acres of grass so they give us a run for our money, lol 🙂

Happy Sunday to those in the UK and US … ours is about to close but it’s been beautiful weather at around 24C, sun shining, very slight breeze, feels like summer is on it’s way YAY 🙂 … it’s been a cold, wet winter brrrrrrr so very glad to get some warmth into me.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2064/2

When iplan my menus I try to put vegetables on fast days and fruits on feed days.

I look up nutrition data in this link

here the link for strawberries and below for prunes

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2043/2

And another link from the same site using the target search tool. Here I searched FOR THE MOST filling and most nutritious fruits .

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-009995050050000000000.html?maxCount=13

Hi Aussie Oma

6! Goodness – and I thought 2 were a handful! And little ones on the way! I adore GSD pups. Thanks for telling me about your brood.

We’ve got a very large long haired male called Sid, who is an absolute wimp, and a short haired feisty little female called Milly, whose sole mission in life is to chase and retrieve balls. It was not a breed we had ever considered. I had previously had bearded collies and OH was very much a Labrador man, but we fell in love with their mum, who belongs to a friend, and said we would love a pup if ever he decided to breed from her. Well to cut a very long story short, he agreed but was going off travelling at the time she came into season and he left it to us to research a suitable dad and have her mated, and because we had better facilities he also left her with us until she had the pups(12 of them but we lost 2) and they went to their respective homes. We have stayed in touch with all but one of the new owners, and have regular updates and photos, which is lovely.

Sorry to bore everyone else with all this, but as you can tell, it’s something very close to our hearts!

Smiffy x

Good morning fast trackers,
    This is a late post for me because I have been out playing bowls this morning and since then totally absorbed in tracing my family tree. An Aunt started our tree many years ago and I am now putting this in a website with access to records. It cost about £107.00 for the year but this give me a deadline and excellent winter activity.
    I really want to trace my grand mother on my fathers side. My Aunt did my mothers family. So I am back as far as 1791 on that side. I really need to get some organisation into it but as the moment I will just record what I currently have information about. Hopefully my son will carry on my husbands name but my nephew( bachelor) at 35 is the last of my maiden name line.
    Stayed up very late last night reading my new cookery books. Seems most vegan recipes include sugar and most non sugar recipes include meat so I am still going to have my work cut out planning meals that are sugar and animal protein free. Even my quinoa cookery book was not vegetarian. I will get there but I need lots of stock cupboard items. I think I will wait until after my holiday.
    Doing my usual diet today, porridge with berries, soup with a roll( left over fro. Yesterday – irresistible as it’s a feed day, and stir fry for dinner – prawns and sweet chilli, lots of veg and zero noodles.

Feeling lazy today after bowls but I will get out with dogs at 3 pm.

Happy Sunday all.

SAMM- I could not cope with your schedule – it gives me a headache just reading it, I need simple. My research agrees with yours though, non eating window needs to be at least 12 hours preferably longer. Mine is usually 6 pm to 8 am these days. I have found I prefer 3 meals now because I am not at work, breaks up the day.

Aussie Oma and Smithy – what are you breeding and showing? Dogs ?

I used to breed rabbits and guinea pigs when my children were younger, so cute. Yesterday I met my first skinny pig, totally gross. Google it and you will see this new fashion in pets. No fur except of nose, kept indoors during cold weather – WHY ? They are ugly, sorry but wrinkly and bare! Costing £120 – £145 each, it’s madness.

Purple veggie eater,
    Sorry honey didn’t know there was a rally, guess it is in London, bit cut off on the South Coast. We certainly don’t have international rallies in this backwater, real island mentality here. Our main issues are employment, deprivation and very young single mothers. Nationalists are also trying to take a stand in this area too.

Amazon
    Star still shining -go girl!

Ply- what’s up friend, quiet? Guess you are swamped at work, new term, new problems. I feel for you.

German Shepherds, Jojo. We don’t show them, just have them as pets. Beautiful, intelligent and very, very clever. I’m sure Aussie Oma will agree they are a misunderstood breed. They have a bad reputation, but there are very few bad German Shepherds – just bad owners. Any dog needs time and effort, but a surprising number of people expect their dog to train itself. Also, the large dog breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers and Dobermans (also smaller ones like Staffies) are classed as ‘macho’ and fall into the hands of the wrong people. Not sure why I went off on this tangent – will get off my soap box and go and do some more gardening. I will look up skinny pigs – they sound frightful!

Jojo

the schedule is 4:3 but leaves weekends open

I believe 3 meals a day healthier long term and 2 meals better for short term weight loss.

perhaps its my poor communication skills.
    Its the simplest most doable schedule I can think of.

skip breakfast every day
    fast on monday, Wednesday, Fridays. 500 cals

Afternoon all.

After doing nothing yesterday and feeling guilty I worked out this morning, then had something to eat before going out.
    I’ve just walked from my flat to Kew Gardens, all the way round and home again, 11200 steps and one blister later. It was very busy as per usual on a Sunday but it is great to see so many people out in the fresh air. Not sure why so many of them were muffled up in coats and scarves as it is 18C.

I don’t like to eat first thing in the morning so I rarely have anything before 10.30-11.00, and only one meal on fast days so I have a long window from dinner to the next days meal regardless.
    I also find it easier to work out first thing on an empty stomach.

When I went on a 3 week tour in South Africa last year, I was worried that going back to 3 meals a day would be a disaster but I didn’t gain any weight at all. I think that long term I’ll be eating twice a day.

After years of being nagged about breakfast being the most important meal of the day or that failing to eat breakfast leads to obesity – that is on the assumption that if you don’t eat breakfast you’ll be diving into the doughnuts by mid-morning 🙂 – I find that my inability to even smell food let alone eat it before about 1 p.m. comes in very handy on 5:2.

I’m not even that hungry in early afternoon – lunch rarely exceeds 110 cal on fast and 200 or so on non-fast days. It was suddenly finding carbs bloating and nauseating at lunch time that finally got me off a 5-month-long plateau. Evenings are when I really enjoy food, so there is usually room to eat a decent dinner which now, thanks to zero noodles etc, can be quite substantial.

Jojo as Smiffy said it’s German Shepherds, we have a breeding kennel and we show our girls too. We have two of our girls currently in whelp (just have to wait and see how they go). These will be the only two litters we have this year as two of our girls are too old (plus one’s desexed now), one is too young and the other isn’t in season until later in the year. They sure are a misunderstood breed. Our girls are welcome everywhere as they are so calm, gentle and friendly. Our vet staff are always happy if they have to look after ours as they are never any trouble, and in fact most of them ask for cuddles (we have two who only want cuddles from us, will accept pats from others but just want us for cuddles).

Like hermajtomomi I had been nagged for years re breakfast (and must admit since I started having breakfast I put on weight!!!! because I was hungrier sooner and more often – go figure, lol). I’m now letting my body tell me when I’m REALLY hungry, not eating at the first pangs but waiting for a while to see if it really is hunger or if a glass or water or cup of coffee suffices (9 times out of 10 it does).

Amazon, it sounds wonderful to be able to walk around those gardens after a short walk from your home. I wonder if those people all rugged up were visitors from another country which is usually warmer? I know that at 18C I’m still in my winter woollies and yesterday at 24C I had a long sleeve top on but was loving being in the sunshine and having it’s warmth as the real heat hasn’t arrived yet.

Smiffy, Milly and Sid sound like real characters. 5 of ours love water, still, rushing, out of a tap or hose doesn’t matter if there’s water they’re there. The other one likes still water or gently running water. ALL of them love balls, two of them love chasing and eating bubbles (I blow bubbles for them once or twice a week with one of those big wand thingies).

Skinny pigs .. no thank you! Just went and looked EEWWWWW!!

What is the point of a skinny pig, we all know that fat means flavour 😆

Oma. There were lots of tourists in Kew today and most of them had a sweater or jacket on which is understandable, but there were a fair number of people, and most of them were not tourist who were wearing winter clothes.

I had a taste of real Aussie heat in January when I was in Perth, Adelaide and the Clare valley and it was over 40C for at least 10 days of my stay.

LOL re skinny pig – fat flavour Amazon. Re winter clothes, yes, here when it’s under 20 I wear winter or thicker clothes, 20 – 25 I wear lighter clothes (as I did yesterday) but I have a cardy ready just in case, over 25 and it’s Summer clothing all the way and only a cardy in the evenings when needed.

We live about an hour from Clare (my sister lives there), about 20 mins from the Barossa Valley and about an hour North of Adelaide. We’re out on the plains and we’re in such a part that in winter the temperature is 1 – 2 degrees cooler than Adelaide (sometimes as much as 4C lower) and the opposite in summer being warmer/hotter than Adelaide. Today we’re expecting 26 & clear skies, tomorrow same temp but clouds/rain, then cooler for a couple of days before fining up and getting warmer again (just gotta love this spring weather 🙂 )

Hermaj

I believe ive been there where are. Im just guessing more like making a wild assumption. I got to a point where I hadchanged my diet so much. Eating anything just plain unhealthy was unthinkable. Yet as time marched on my schedule changed and founs it diffixult ro keep the health only foods in the tight ratios .

I took a step back. Put joy of eating back in. My weigh ins slowed down. However my resolve is emboldened. I know how to go all in on healrh and weight loss. What I learned feom this round of dieting is keep tje fasting in a monthy total 7-9 fast days a month. Leaving 19-24 feed days . If I lose only 3 lbs a month minimium thats 36 lbs a year.

I can love to eat again with confidence. If im not loving the food I may not stick with it. And there goes my confidence . I used to spaghetti. When I started changing it .I found new ways to love it. With protein noodles, spinach, mushrooms, cutting the carbs down to ratio. I love the food again, yet this time I pulled out some of the excess portions and put in some health good alternatives. Not on the very first try mind you. But eventually adding in healing ingredients. Reinventing my favorites. After a few months. I for lack of reason mafeit the old way. The joy was gone . I knew the way I used to make it contributed to my obesity. So not going back to that.
    however I like it on my feed days reinvented to help heal.
    best wishes.

Starting tommorrow on this months fat attack ADF.
    WEIGH IN 223. 7 fasts in the next 12 days.

starting with red beans and catfish.

Hi fast trackers!

Hi Aussie Oma – another from SA. I live in the Adelaide Hills.

Amazon and Purple, just realized I failed to respond to your comments after I posted about Mt Lofty Botanic Garden – apologies, just forgetful 😉

Amazon, so glad you enjoyed ‘my’ garden. I used to be a Curator there, of the Fern, NZ, South American, southern African and east coast Australian Collections.

Purple, it’s a garden for all seasons but especially renowned for autumn folliage and spring blossom. My favourite time is winter when the deciduous trees are bare and it’s all secretive due to the mist and long shadows.

Hi Smiffy, good to hear from you.

Hermaj, deadlines focus the mind. Best wishes with the dissertating and submittertating. 🙂

Scales committed suicide off the shelf when I was vacuuming on the weekend so will have to get some more. Not planning the impedance type or anything fancy, just so they tell me the truth. Have now lost total of 14cm off waist since end January this year so very happy. Also off hips and other places but didn’t record a number for them at the outset, can tell by my trousers.

Happy Monday all.

Hi Nicky
    Ah the trousers of truth! As long as they don’t stretch 😉
    I lost interest very quickly with all the extras on my new scales. All I want is an accurate weight.
    Have you been to the Arid Botanical Gardens at Port Augusta? Stunning. Especially with the Flinders Ranges in the background. I also love the roadsign near there. You must make a decision. .west…the sign says Eyre Highway, Perth and north…Stuart Highway, Darwin. For non Aussies, this sign is in central SA and look at a map to see how far away Perth and Darwin are! Really cool. 4.30pm Monday fast day! P

Morning all.

Nicky and PVE, I have friends in Perth and in the Adelaide hills not far from Mt Lofty gardens. I was in Oz from mid December until mid February. I spent Christmas and NY with my Perth friends and my 60th at the end of January with my Adelaide friends. I had a birthday beach BBQ breakfast 🙂 My birthday was a holiday as it was the day after Australia day which as you know was on a Sunday this year. It was my 4th visit to Australia. My Adelaide friends own a farm in the Clare valley, and we spent a girls weekend there which was great. It is so beautiful there. I travelled from Perth to Adelaide on the Indian Pacific train. It was wonderful!

It is a sunny morning with an autumnal nip in the air, and the first day of B2B fasts. I’ve cooked some pearl barley and am going to mix it with leeks, tomatoes and feta cheese and stuff a squash with it for dinner tonight and tomorrow.

Smiffy, the Callanetics hads made such a difference to my back in just one week that I’ve cancelled my appointment to see my GP. Who needs physiotherapy?

‘Morning all

Just a quickie before we depart to the land of no wifi – ‘tho hope to have it by the end of the week.

Aussie Oma – ours love water too – moving or not. They are a real menace when I’m trying to water my patio pots with the hose and usually end up getting me drenched as well as themselves. They also love the sea – and stagnant ponds! They’ve learned what ‘going to Wales’ means, so we don’t tell them until just before we go, as they get too excited, and when we say ‘we’re going to the beach’, excitement just isn’t the word!

Amazon – glad the Callanetics are going well. I love the sound of your stuffed squash recipe! I’m having squash today too – see later.

SAMM – I agree that you have to include the things you really enjoy on this WOL. It’s a question of finding healthy ways to serve them, and if necessary cutting down on carbs but not necessarily cutting them out altogether. It was restricting myself too much that made me give up all the previous diets eventually, and is why I like this WOL so much. Fortunately I don’t have a sweet tooth so chocolate and puddings don’t worry me, though not ruled out if we are out for a meal. I love pasta, but only have it occasionally, in a smaller quantity and with roasted Med veg and mozzarella rather than a rich Bolognese sauce. Zero noodles and spray oils are a godsend. It’s all a question of balance, isn’t it? I think Jojo is fantastic trying the vegan way, and I’m sure it will work for her, but I don’t think I could do it.

I’m fasting today. I’ve had my usual boiled egg, and as we’re travelling for just over 2 hours and will then be going for a long walk on the beach, i won’t be near food until much later. I froze a couple of portions of spicy squash with couscous last time we were in Wales, which is a favourite from the 5.2 Meal Planner by Woman app, so hopefully all sorted.

I guess most of us are fasting today, so have a good one all.

Smiffy x

Good morning fast trackers,

2 lb down this morning which would be great if it wasn’t the same 2 lb I lost two weeks ago before the exercise freeze. Still that’s life, at least back to long term lowest. Fasting for four days now up to my holiday, better to be prepared. No socialising planned between now and Friday when I leave. I find that 500 cals is very doable these days, after 9 months it’s no big surprise.

I love to eat breakfast, it has the opposite effect on me, stops me snacking. Let’s be honest I love to eat anytime so I have to keep myself very busy.

I can really recommend doing your family tree, it’s so easy now with on line systems. If you send off for birth certificates it can get expensive, £10 each. I don’t think I really need them at the moment, just collecting names, dates, area people resided. I would not have got so far if my great Aunt had not started this record but I am determined to extend as far as possible so that any future relative has a starting point. It really is interesting to see what former relatives did, very working class my bunch, no royalty yet. My maternal grand father was reported killed by a horse van in London, his wife had previously died in childbirth, how sad to leave 5 children. They were split up into different families, he left 38 shillings to his sister. She took in the two girls including my mother aged 4. I think she had a happy childhood though and it certainly didn’t effect her skills as a mother in later life, probably made her better because she understood the importance.

Just dog walk and yoga today, plus a mountain of ironing. I can’t think of anything nicer than breeding German Shepherds. I love big dogs. Mine are medium sized cross breed rescue dogs, both terrier crosses. They are 10 and 9 so getting on a bit but lively and fit, very grey around the muzzles. The smaller one breaks a claw every month due to an auto immune problem, no cure, poor chap. My sister has always had big dogs, Rottweiler or German shepherds, she rescues one that have been ill treated and trains them but they are never rehomed, too risky.

Talking about dressing up warmly I am the one that never needs a cardigan until it snows. I have a very high body heat, probably because I spend lots of time outside, I am on the coast too. Saying that I got very cold when I first started fasting, it was in January though. Even so my friends were very concerned about me. Wearing jumpers and losing weight they all thought I must be very ill. I kept repeating that I had never felt better, still have to say it to them now. Nice to have caring friends.

Have a great day everyone, speak later.

Weemam and Tartanlass, it begins already, broken promises, the older generation knew this would happen, that’s why so many voted ‘yes’. No surprises there pals.

Hi jojo, 2lb down is good regardless and before you know it you’ll have lost more. You must be getting excited now with your holiday so close, especially with all of those lovely smaller summer clothes waiting to be worn in sunny Spain. Good luck with the fasting, I’m doing 4 days this week too.

Have a good day everyone.

NickyF … Woo hoo another Adelaidian 🙂 Love not only Mt Lofty but also Botanical Gardens in the city.

PVE … Went to the arid one not long after it first opened many years ago and was not really of the right mind to appreciate it at the time. Must put on my list for another visit.

SAMM glad you’re finding the joy in eating again without the excess 🙂 … I need to enjoy my food too otherwise I won’t eat it BUT having said that I’m now starting (note the word starting) to work out portion control too (as when I’m enjoying food I can say that I find it hard to stop sometimes).

Jojo I’ve toyed with the idea of doing a family tree but think it may need to wait until I’m retired (still a few years to go).

Smiffy … LOL re drenched, I get that when I try to fill their water buckets up or water the garden. Also have to put them away when we’re mowing as they like to try to EAT the lawnmower (doesn’t matter whether it’s ride on or hand push) and they’d get hurt if we didn’t put them away … oh yes and they love to help with the gardening, if we try to dig they try to take the spade away from us, same with sweeping ha ha … it can be a challenge 🙂 but such a lovely one.

If I’ve missed anyone, sorry it’s not intentional, just dinner is almost ready and I’m really looking forward to it. No not a fast day for me today, that’s tomorrow which is also my weigh day (first one since commencing this way of life) … wish me luck 🙂

Good luck, SAMM!

Just back on line after catastrophic loss of wifi. ISP said it had to upgrade system and it would all be done by 6 am. Ha!! Three suburbs had no wifi for 24 hours. OH went up the wall without ability to despatch work documents. Topsoil is now spread. Seed tomorrow, then watering begins.

Hi Jojo
    Have a wonderful holiday. 🙂 I’m writing this now in case of another wifi blackout closer to the day. Enjoy the skinny dresses and all the other clothes you’re wearing now. 🙂 relax, and have fun with your time away.

All the best, Bay 🙂

Thanks all,
    I certainly plan to have a relaxing time, just reading and yoga. We socialise as a group for dinner and the enjoy the hotel entertainment. We usually have one day sight seeing. Early start everyday though, before breakfast, best time for yoga.

Packing up my size 16’s, this time next year it will be 12’s. Hoorah.

Jojo congrat’s on your continued downward trend 🙂 … I’m looking forward to getting back to a 16 hopefully by Christmas. Is it four days until you go on holidays? If so, in case I forget closer to the time, have an awesome holiday, relax, unwind and enjoy 🙂

Bay … hoping wifi returns and stays with you 🙂 I’m investigating replacing my ISP so that I can have more data for less $s as currently I’m paying a premium for not much and can get 10 times data for half the price with another ISP which is apparently very good (according to a friend who’s been with them several years now).

Hi Ply 😀 and Amazon 😀

The stuffed squash was delicious and very filling. I added a little chopped red chilli for some background heat, and served it with green beans.
    At the tail end of the Monday fast. It is certainly getting easier 🙂

Sounds really good Amazon, just the flavours I like.

I have just been told that I must have a birthday cake on Thursday with my family, what a sacrifice?

Got my euro’s raring to go!

Have a great break in Spain Jojo. Relax and choose the low carb. We ate at a bar on Sunday after the rally. Two tasting plates, shared. My fav was crispy salmon with a few greens and a very small amount of black barley in jus. Tasty and satisfying.
    Bay, I had Telstra insisting my modem needed updating yesterday even though it worked. Since the man left I have had no internet access 🙁 Looks like another day waiting for the serviceman. My garden will be weed free 😉
    Re clothes and weather…since I lost weight last year I feel the cold much more, even in summer. I have a whole range of shorter sleeved light weight cardigans now (not old lady ones, gorgeous strong colours!)
    Samm, I got to a point last year of feeling really upset that I would have to spend the rest of my life not eating all the lovely food available. One way I overcame this was by having only one meal on fast days. Then I can enjoy it without worrying too much about size. Usually have a yummy fish and salad dish. Life is still for enjoying. P

Hi all, just had my first weigh today since commencing last week (today is a fast day btw). My scales tell me I’ve lost 3.7kg which is unheard of for me, usually 1.5 to 2kg max for a first week (I have electronic digital scales). Yes I’m sure most of that is fluid but I’ve also had some lovely measurement drops. Not believing I could have measured right for hips last week, so will base onwards from this week’s measurement. Tape measure tells me I’ve lost size on all areas which is great for me 🙂

I’m having my omelette for lunch today and home made soup for dinner (no bread).

Wow Spain Jojo you must be getting so excited as it’s almost here now … I’m sure you’ll have a wow of a time and really have a ball 🙂 re the birthday cake enjoy a small piece and if anyone says anything just say you’ve had enough to eat.

PVE I might have to ask where you got the non-old lady cardies as there’s no way I do the pastels, lol 😀 .

Will catch up more later … happy 5:2’ing everyone 🙂

Good morning fast trackers.

Jojo, am so envious of your yoga holiday. It sounds like heaven to be able to have a session in the early morning every day, such a peaceful and calming time for a peaceful and calming practice. Hope you have a great break.

Amazon, you share the same birthday as my grand-daughter. Her mother was a bit miffed that she was about an hour too late for a birthday on a public holiday, which is what I have in April.

Purple and Aussie Oma – just love the AALBG in Port Augusta, such a spectacular setting. As a child I lived in Woomera for a while and as an adult in Alice Springs for several happy years – the BG desert plantings made me feel right at home. Just love the little display gardens set up to show locals how to use plants suited to their climate. If you have the chance to go, do take advantage of the free guided walk.

Also, if I may put in a plug, the volunteer Adelaide BG Friends’ Garden Guides also offer free guided walks in Adelaide, Wittunga and Mt Lofty gardens – see http://www.friendsbgadelaide.com for details.

Aussie Oma, lucky me still works for Botanic Gardens of SA, now based at the city garden. My office is in the beautiful old heritage-listed Goodman Building with 10m ceilings so get lots of exercise up and down the stairs, as well as getting outside.

Purple, love the sound of your new three(!) T-shirts. Hang the expense and keep them all.

Discovered last night that OH had been to the city during the day for the dentist and had bought replacement scales – very swish, with 100g increments but apparently our old ones weighed 2.5kg light so back into obese BMI in an eye blink. However, irrespective of actual number, the amount lost in kg and cm is unchanged, as are health improvements.

Second b2b FD and so far so good, although not yet 8am here. Yesterday was fine with only 430C consumed and it seems to get easier as the weeks go by.

Keep up the good work all. N

Hi Purple

I lasted all day yesterday, except for a handful of almonds at lunchtime. Last night had 400 calorie dinner and still weighed in at best weight this morning of 60 kgs. Still same 19 cms lost off waist. However, with continued fasting to maintain, I am losing off other parts of anatomy.

It is interesting to see how my eating patterns have changed. When I was in middle of serious weight loss, I needed my egg for breakfast each fast day. I still have to eat protein during the day. Otherwise, I never feel full.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Jojo, enjoy the birthday cake. Hope they make it a GF cake. B

Well done Aussie Oma! Make sure you graph it…so exciting watching it drop. Set a very achievable goal and reach it quickly. Then set a lower one. Have faith that it will continue. .buy smaller clothes than you think for summer. My cardigans were from Myer and DJs…Jump brand. Good luck. P

Bay, I have relaxed a bit on my 24 hour fasts and now have a couple of tom thumbs, a little lettuce and 2 veg patties (say 50 cal) at about 3.30. That way I am a happy bunny when OH gets home and I cook dinner. I want to maintain this weight 57-59kg so have wriggle room after my long non eating time. We are both eating slightly more on fast days in total. .up from 350-400 to 400-500…as we have been on maintenance for 6 months now and DRUG FREE!!!! P

PVE that’s AWESOME that you’re now drug free … so lovely for you to get off the meds. Yes I’m graphing it not only on the tracker here but also on an excel spreadsheet. If I’m organised I might to a b2b today & tomorrow (on a FD today already).

Bay and PVE I’m looking to be a similar weight to you when I finally remove the excess baggage. That’s still a long way away but I’m determined to get there and STAY there (which is most important!!!).

I have some lovely size 14 clothes from yonks ago (2001’ish) which I will use as interim clothes this time rather than settle for that. So hopefully my larger size clothing will last me until I can wear them.

@PVE

I’m not qualified to give advice.
    So I’ll point to something about skipping breakfast and lunch too.
    If it’s just a few times a month least likely to have long term consequences. But if it’s a life long lifestyle of skipping breakfast and lunch twice a week. There could be issues. Especially bone density.

There are some alternatives with supplements. However it’s the protein uptake that’s the issue. If the body is low protein in the blood it will take resources from within bone. So if it’s seldomly practiced it’s not going to occur often enough. I’ll go out on a limb and say the human body adapts, and becomes accustomed patterns. Like fasting , the body becomes accustomed to burning fat stores. The more it’s practiced the more likely the body signal release of fat stores rather than burning it’s muscles for fuel. In the same way. Bone tissues are also vulnerable if protein isn’t ever present.

I found that whey protein ,or other 100 calorie protein drinks with full compliment of vitamins and minerals so that the protein is better absorbed , rather than pure whey prtein.

So PVE I’m not recommending anything , just inviting you to look into protein requirements. From what you said , you’ve found something that works for your hunger management. I’m suggesting a slight tweak to your protein of 50-100 cals protein for lunchtime.
    My understanding is if were not doing the 96 fast under doctors care and monitoring blood work for igf1 . Then the TDEE formula applies . That it’s simple calories in vs calories used. If in your case you need the 500 calorie dinner. To be a doable lifestyle that’s great. And a 100 calorie protein boost for lunch will only add 1 lb of difference over 35 weeks. Yet avoid possible bone density issues!

Just my thoughts. Take em or leave em!

Thanks Samm
    I may have to study this a few times to get a handle on what you are saying. I’ve been experimenting with this wol for 18 months now and my bone density is good. In fact all my health indicators are excellent now and I’m 63.
    I guess long term will be the issue. At the moment I’m working on maintaining my weight at what I was in my 20s and still getting the health benefits of fasting. OH finds he has to fast twice weekly to maintain his stable blood sugars and he also finds it much easier to save eating until evening. Many traditional societies have done this eg strict Greek Orthodox folk. P

@aussie Oma
    If your tracking your foods. Might look at your carbs.
    If the portions that are out of porportion are either carbs, protein, or fats?

Can’t know your specifics enough , so I’ll point to my own experience and let you see if it could apply you.

When I first started 5:2 I made many errors within trial and error.
    After I found foods that could sate me, and manage my hunger. A few months went by with success of completing two days a week of 600 calorie fasts . My BMR afforded the 600 cals @274lbs

I would start my first fast on Monday, if I couldn’t do it Tuesday , or try try again .

I found I could not get used to it at first two months ,not everyone can, and I struggled!

Watching the dr oz show was a segment about diet soda. I drank diet soda. So the show pointed my to look into the issues of diet soda myself.

Basically. Diet soda can harm good bacteria in the digestive system. Leaving behind poor bacteria, the poor bacterias can possible increase craving for complex carbohydrates like breads and crackers which are high calorie. The best outcome was to use probiotics, which will add healthy bacterias , even if I continue to drink the diet soda. However after going on 6 weeks of probiotics. My cravings for starchy carbs rarely ruuined my fast days any longer. I decided that was what I needed to change in my diet. No diet sodas, and sugary colas where counter productive.
    So I went on new food quest to find out what calorie free drinks are out there that are actually a health or healing benefit. As opposed to diet drinks or colas.

I found, water, teas, coffee.
    My staple is cold water. I drink 1 half gallon a day.
    But I also drink cold water with lemon in it
    My favorite is green tea , with a whole lemon brewed into the water, adding stevia sweetener.
    Also roasted dandelion root tea which helps with healthy liver.

Then I also found many types of tea and coffee that add antioxidants into the diet.

So to recap I was drinking diet soda, but when I quit drinking diet soda I had less occurrences of craving carbs on fast days. Then I went on to find stevia a natural sweetener to add to healthy antioxidant teas.
    No calories to count for guiltless freedom to enjoy my beverages.

Hi again everyone.

Lunchtime here so distracting myself from delicious smells emanating from the lunch room …

Did you hear about the overweight man whose GP told him he had to lose weight and to eat what he liked one day then skip a day, then eat what he liked again, and so on?

When the GP saw him 3 months later he had lost a spectacular amount of weight. When asked how, the man said the eating days were easy but it was the bl***y skipping (=jumping rope for our US friends) that had done him in. 🙂

Off out for a walk now!

Viewing 50 posts - 2,051 through 2,100 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.